Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• ricceesriccees Member Posts: 24
    If it's me, I'd offer the invoice price of $25,800 ($26,000 max).
  • vuchvuch Member Posts: 17
    As I said on another forum, the photos of it on riccees's Fronty were a big factor in my decision to go with the Access. Thanks riccees! ;)
  • mike9723mike9723 Member Posts: 2
    I have jsut recently purchased a frontier. It has the black and gray interior. I have about 1000 miles on the truck now. The drivers seat is wering out already. The part where your butt goes is showing wear that looks as if the truck is almost 5 years old. Anyone experiencing a similar issue?
  • paul27paul27 Member Posts: 1
    I have been researching the Frontier for sometime now, just ran across this form. Starting to question if it's the right vehicle after seeing same of the comments here, about engine rattles and 1st year problems. Read one review on CR that when driving with windows down, " worst ride ever when windows are rolled down, creates a vibration and loud ear piercing noise".(SE king cab) The more I read, the mpg doesn't seem that great, rated about the same as full size Chev with small V8, The one I test drove, felt choppy. I could use some help, the vehicle I buy now is my retirement vehicle. Does anyone know how many 2005's where sold to date? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    I have an LE king cab and absolutely love it. The engine "rattle" is overblown; it is a barely perceptible noise that most owners didn't even notice until they read about it on the forums. The problem does not affect the engine's performance in any way, has been corrected in current production vehicles, and a TSB has been issued for earlier models. My LE is the quietest-riding truck I've ever seen, handles well, has incredible power (on 87-octane fuel, unlike the Tacoma) and gets nice fuel economy for a truck. I average over 18 mpg combined driving and get better than 22 mpg driving at 70 MPH--you'll not get that from a full-size Chevy V-8. To get a great deal more information about my 2005 Frontier check out my web site:
    http://www.reverendbiker.com/frontier.htm
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I'm planning on purchasing an '06 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed. I've followed a lot of forums and the '05 Frontier's launch has been remarkably good. CR's comment on open windows is ignorant; my wife's Subaru does this too and so do many vehicles -- the airflow over the body surface with an open rear window creates a noise like blowing on the top of a soda bottle and for the same reason. The "fix" is to close up the window a bit at higher speeds.

I've test driven two SE CCs and experienced no choppiness. I guess if someone compares a truck to a car, there will be an obvious difference because most trucks have a leaf spring suspension in back.

I'm to lazy to check YTD 2005 sales, but May 2005 sales were like this:

Tacoma 14,363
    Colorado/Canyon 13,976
    Dakota 11,840
    Ranger 11,098
    Frontier 5,104
    Ridgeline 3,297

If you're after better MPG, take a look at the Colorado/Canyon with the 175 HP I-4. It's a great looking truck (IMHO) and is priced to sell, but it's taken more than its fair share of demerits by the motor press. I've looked in depth at all of them and my order will go to Nissan this fall. The purchasing research is fun; test drive and enjoy the process. :)
    Hey paul27...
    I have a 05 CC SE 4x4. I also have the rattle although it is WAY quieter now that warm weather is in the NE. I am getting 16.5 in town and 18.5 highway. I just got a Tonneau cover so I expect the mileage to get better. I love this vehicle. Plenty of power, good aggressive looks. It has a good ride(even the wife likes it now that she has been in it. She wasn't too keen on me getting a truck but she really likes it now.) I also have the moonroof and if you tilt or open it the noise goes away. That noise is caused by air pressure in the cab going in and out the windows. W/ the roof opened the air comes in the windows and out the top. Test drive it again. There are other forums to look at also. (frontiertalk)
    vuch
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    I have 3K miles black/grey interior. The seat area is not wearing out. But I have noticed that the driver side front corner near the door is starting to look frayed. Time for seat covers asap. I probably rub against this corner getting in and out everytime. Other than is one area the seats are great. Anyone find some good fitting after market seat covers?
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Had an 01 Silverado Z71 4x4 extended cab that I traded for an 05 Frontier NISMO CC 4x4. Silverado was a great truck, decent mileage from the 5.3 (14-16 vs. EPA 15-18). I wanted a narrower truck with better off-road capability.
    Short list was Tacoma, Frontier, and Ridgeline. Colorado looks good but I agree with the press that it is nowhere near the competition. Dakota was impressive but lacks ground clearance, and power output from Dakota V8’s is less than Toyota, Nissan, and Honda V6’s.
    Tacoma was cut because it uses premium vs. regular, back seat folding is not as flexible as Honda and Nissan, real-world back seat room is less than Honda and Nissan, and lowest point on the undercarriage is the central exhaust crossmember, so despite having the highest body clearance, the exhaust will be damaged when off-roading. Toyota owner’s forums report a lot of quality problems with the 05 Tacoma. If I were looking at Tacoma, I would consider an 04 before an 05.
    Honda and Nissan were my final two. I am biased towards Honda because of previous good experience with an 02 Odyssey, 04 Accord, and 05 Odyssey. Went to the Ridgeline press introduction in January; before they chased me out I learned the undercarriage of the Ridgeline is virtually identical to the MDX and Pilot: this vehicle is not made for real off-roading. The exhaust is the lowest point from front to rear, and the brake lines run along the bottom of the frame rails. If you “ride the rails” off road like I do, you will do serious damage and disable the vehicle. In addition, the AWD system has serious limitations for true off-roading. The Ridgeline had trouble hill climbing at Honda’s own press introduction, and I believe Edmunds abandoned the off-road portion of their Ridgeline test. Off-roading aside, Ridgeline owner’s are reporting some initial quality problems (check vtec.net), but nowhere near the problems Tacoma owners are having. If I were not interested in off-roading, I would have had a hard time choosing between the Ridgeline and the Frontier. Ridgeline is wider, has more back seat room, a better center console, and the in-bed trunk is quite useful. Frontier is a “true” truck with incredible off-road hardware, amazing power on regular gas, great bed-features with util-track, and more availability of aftermarket parts.
    I’ve had my 05 NISMO CC 4x4 since late January. About 9000 miles now. EPA 15-20, actual 16-18. I can get the mileage as low as 13 when off-roading, or as high as 19-20 when cruising under 70. Most of my in-town tanks are 16-17; freeway at 75-85 comes in at 17-18. The built in mileage computer is VERY accurate, always within a couple tenths of what I measure manually.
    The engine rattle was minor and I probably wouldn’t have squawked about it if I wasn’t aware of the TSB from reading this forum. I sit with the seat all the way back and have a bit of a blind spot when changing lanes to the left as compared to my Silverado. I’m still waiting for someone to make an aftermarket lift-kit to go with the new 05 suspension design; the off-road capability of the stock hardware exceeds the available ground clearance.
    Overall, this is an awesome truck that is one of the best kept secrets out there. MT picked the Tacoma for dubious reasons, which has helped Tacoma sales. Everyone else has picked either the Ridgeline or Frontier. Off-roading leaves the Ridgeline out, but otherwise I would look closely at both the Honda and Nissan to see which you like better. The 05 Frontier is my first Nissan in 23 years, and I like it better everyday.
  • lshipmanlshipman Member Posts: 3
    Back in 2001 when I was ready to purchase my first brand new truck, I wanted to consider Nissan, but they had switched to that UGLY front end (IMHO) and my wife was sold on Toyota name for quality and maintaining value. Guys at work and on the Internet said the 22R engine was the best and one guy at work has over 400,000 miles on his Toy w/ 22R. So we purchased a 2001 Tacoma with 2.7 A/T 4x4 Access Cab. I could not believe it had drum brakes in the rear when everyone else including F-150's had 4 wheel discs! One day I wanted to wash it. I started it to move it in the driveway and shut it off. Afterward, I tried starting it and it wouldn't start! I had it towed to the dealer 35 miles away only to be told it flooded! A fuel injected rig FLOODED! I was told that problem began showing up in 2001 engine. There was also another problem. When I started it, the engine would clack like it was a diesel! Another trip to the dealer shop only to be told it was perfectly normal for a little "piston slap" when the engine was cold. It also bounced all over the highway and was gutless as heck (my fault for buying a/t). So I just traded it in 2 weeks ago for a 2005 Nissan Frontier LE 4x4 a/t KC. All I have to say is OMG!!! Now THIS is a truck! This thing hauls butt in any gear, up hills no problem. They got it right with the 5 speed automatic. First tune-up is not until 105,000 (my Toy needed it every 30,000). The ride is smooth and quiet and POWERFUL. If there are a couple of boneheads plugging up the fast lane and don't have the sense to move over and I see a gap...ZIP...in nothing flat, I'm around them and GONE! 4 wheel discs w/ ABS, throaty sounding muffler tells you "WHO'sYOUR DADDY!!!" Seats are comfortable and the cabin is so quiet, my wife practically falls asleep everytime we go somewhere. Factory spray-in liner w/ utilitrack system is great! Uses regular gas and I am getting between 17 and 18 mpg average. Toyota screwed me once and maybe they got a little better in '05, but they won't get my business again! I'm sold on Nissan!
  • viento1602viento1602 Member Posts: 3
    We looked at both the TRD taco accsess cab 4x4, and then the nismo, wow. The nismo is WAY better, however it's a good thing I was persuaded to get an automatic becuase I read in this thread that the nismo king 4x4 6 speed is IMPOSIBLE to locate without a special order. Screw that I do not want to wait for ever(6 to 8 weeks) to get my new fronty. Besides, I live in Los Angeles, so the auto tranny is a god send when you get into gridlock. The other bummer is that nissan did not put the compass and temp indicator mirror in the nismo model :confuse: Lets see 4x4......compass.....seems like a good combo to me, oh well there is always the after market! Speaking of which, any one know what cool goodies are coming for our 05 frontys? post it up if you do.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    Viento 1602,

I just purchased an '05 LE KC and like you I wanted the compass/temperature gauge so
    as part of the purchase I had the dealer install a Gentex unit. It is very nice, but I have
    since learned that Gentex has one with compass/thermometer/homelink. I wish I had
    known that as I would have had the homelink one installed. Just a thought.

Gerald
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    I installed the Gentex mirror/compass/homelink/temp unit in my KC LE and it was a piece of cake. Same unit as installed at the factory, and it only cost me $235. I did a complete write-up, including pics and installation tips here:
    http://www.reverendbiker.com/frontier/mirror.htm

jack <><
  • shroudshroud Member Posts: 78
    Am I reading the nissan sites correctly (I'm in Canada) that you can't get a Red or Blue (electric blue) Frontier with leather interior? Wonder why that would be? I really like the Electric Blue color but I also love leather seats.....

Was looking at Tacoma until I read about horrible paint chipping problems, so I've ruled it out now.
    THANK YOU jflash, you da man.! That is a well presented and easy to follow tip page, wow, great job. I will be ordering two, one for my new fronty, and one for another car as well. And I will use your guide to self install, fun! BTW I picked up my new 4x4 nismo last night, I am hyped. I can't wait to get it dirty, lol. What a great feel this truck has, the audio package is awesome too. Now I need to decide on a roll up or folding bed cover, who makes the best quality/function cover for fronty? Anyone got a idea?
    Happy motoring!
    -viento1602 :shades:
    I installed Access Rollup cover on mine. See posts # 1035, 1036, and 1038.
    No experience on these covers but I found this on the web:
    Coverking Custom Seat Covers
    www.truckxcessory.com
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    I have a Truxedo on mine.
    I have the Access Roll Up Tonneau. www.truckstuffusa.com seems to have fair prices with no tax and free shipping. I really like my tonneau.
  • mike9723mike9723 Member Posts: 2
    Let me know if you find any good ones. I am going to take mine into the dealer and show them. I would hate to have spent 22K dollars to have seats that need to be replaced more often than the oil. I will keep you posted.
  • steveh427steveh427 Member Posts: 25
    One of the reasons I'm considering the Nismo Pkg is because I like the look of the wheels and the fact that they are a little taller than the wheels on the LE. Does anyone know if the average life of the BF Goodrich offroad wheels is any shorter than the street tires on the LE??? 95% of my driving will be paved roads. If the offroad tires last only half as long, maybe I'll consider the LE. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
    My LE KC has General Grabber AW all weather tires on it. I am not sure that they will wear much better than the Nismo.

I am surprised that the Nismo tire is taller than the LE tire. I realize that the Nismo has
    75 series tires and the LE only has 65 series tires, but the LE has 17" wheels and the Nismo has 16" wheels. I would have thought the wheel size difference would come very
    close to making up the difference in tire size.

My tires measure 30" in diameter, I have never measured a Nismo tire. My tires only
    have 1275 miles on them so they should be almost the same diameter as a new tire.

Gerald
    Can anyone tell me which brands and models of SOFT tonneau covers are compatible with the '05 NIssan Frontier Crew Cab's bed extender? I've read that the Access brand is compatible *if* a kit is purchased to narrow the bed extender. Is this the only combination that works?

Has anyone bought the Nissan soft tonneau and Nissan bed extender? Are they compatible? Nissan salespeople seem clueless on this.

There's a 3/4" clearance between the top of the bed extender knob and the bottom of the UtiliTrak rail, so a soft tonneau and unmodifiedbed extender could easily be compatible if the tonneau frame attachment brackets are engineered properly. I'm mystified as to why this is such a challenge for manufacturers. Thanks! :confuse:
  • ukbballfanukbballfan Member Posts: 13
    I am also thinking of buying an 05 Frontier LE 4x2 but in a crew cab. Anyone have any info about if and when Nissan puts out rebates nearing the end of a model year? Seems I read somewhere that there were rebates last year.
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    Can anyone who has a SE 6sp manual Crew Cab 4x4 tell me how it shifts thru the gears? Is it smooth like butter or are they long and you get lost searching?Thanks.
  • joboo1joboo1 Member Posts: 75
    I recently purchased an 05 Frontier LE and installed the bed extender and soft cover on it. I do not see any compatibility issues. I would like to ask anyone out there if there is process or product out there that would help eliminate swirl marks and minor scratches. I have a black Frontier ( I know the worst color to get cause it shows everything) well the dealer's detail person did a half axx job on the detailing job and I notice swirls and minor scratches on the hood. I was advised that he could not buff it out any further for it would ruin the paint job. What an I to do?
    I've test driven two SE CC 4x2's and both shifted absolutely beautifully -- I had no learning curve whatsoever; each gear fell perfectly to hand and the clutch engaged very nicely. I imagine the 4x4s would shift just the same. My '06 SE CC 4x2 will be a 6-Speed without a doubt. Asa
    So you're able to run the bed extender the full length of the Utili-Trak rails and fully rotate the bed extender with the soft tonneau frame in place without any problems? I just want to be sure. If so, that's great.

Sorry about the dealer-borne scratches on your LE; I'd be livid too. I know of owners who explicitly tell service departments NOT to wash their truck. You might try a nice application of Carnuba wax. It's buttery soft and goes on very easily. Asa
    I purchased Meguiar's Scratch X to remove some bad scratches on my wife's Solara.
    It did not completely remove the scratches, but it did make a bad situation much bet-
    ter. It is for light scratches and swirls so it may not work for you.

It removed several light scratches completely. I purchased it at Walmart for about $8
    if I remember correctly.

I know what you are going through as I just purchased a white LE KC and had the dealer paint the lower valance and the outside mirrors white to match the truck. I told
    them to remove the items to paint them.

They painted them on the truck and had overspray every where. They fianally got the
    overspray off, but their painter did not do as good a job as I wanted.

I have installed chrome door handles already and have chrome mirrors on order to
    replace the painted mirrors. That will fix up most of their poor paint work. The mud
    guards aren't perfect, but they look far better than when they were black.

Good luck.

Gerald
    As far as possible '05 Frontier rebates, it'll have much to do with how many unsold units are on dealer lots when the '06s arrive and how the U.S. economy is doing at the time. Rebates were great on the '04s because they suffered by comparison against the '05s and many buyers passed by the '04s. Too, if Nissan eventually rebates remaining '05s, they'll be the trucks with a combination of features or colors that didn't appeal to customers. But that's not a bad thing; you might get a great deal. Nobody seems to know for sure when Nissan normally introduces new models. I'm assuming that the '05s were a bit late because it was a completely new model. Asa
    I'm hoping that Nissan gets a clue with their '06 models. I want an SE Crew 4x2 6-Speed, so cannot get an 8-Way adjustable manual driver seat nor the trick rear view mirror. What's with that? Are SE buyers assumed to be destitute? Some of us love manual gearboxes and want the nicer features. In fact Nissan just added factory keyless entry on the SEs; heretofore you had to buy a fob and program it yourself. Asa
    check out autogeek.net they have some good detailing info. You might try the finest polish you can locate or Clay. I was told to always wash black cars back and forth, front to back and always in the same direction-never in a circle as that will show more swirls. So take out the swirls just going back and forth-no circles. I also use a great product sold at westmarine.com. it is their house brand Polish called "Teflon Boat Polish with PTEF. After using clay to get the paint totally smooth, try this stuff. it is amazing and holds up better than most car products because it has to handle salt air etc. I cannot place anything on the hood without it sliding off. Almost all the dirt comes off with just the hose.
    Thank you Asa i just need to fine one to test drive :confuse:
    What topper model did you find from ARE. I sent them an email and they say nothing will be ready for 3-6 months for the KC
  • joboo1joboo1 Member Posts: 75
    The bed extender can freely move from the front of the bed to the back without touching the bed cover or it frame, as for rotating the extender, all you have to remove is the cover and the one cross bar (which comes off easily), the frame stays on. By the way, if you have an email address I can send you pictures of the cover and extender setup.

For all of you who recommended a solution to my swirls and minor scratches issue thanks - I will definitely try them.
    Hopefully you can find a 6-Speed to test drive. I had no problem finding several, but I do not live in a congested region and Frontier manual trannys are more plentiful. I wanted to test drive a Chevy Colorado Crew with the 5-Speed Manual, but couldn't find one anywhere. I finally settled for testing a Regular Cab, figuring I'd order my Crew. The Colorado's tranny was fine, but the Colorado has no "4th pedal" footrest and the I-4 engine power was modest at best. Chevy is dropping the Crew Cab manual tranny in '06. I can see why -- GM offered only the little I-4 engine with the Crew Cab manual. Not only could this combination not be found on dealer lots, but pairing the heaviest Colorado only with their puniest engine was crazy.
    I stay in the midwest looked in IN and IL thought i would get to test drive a stick today but they sold it to a Detroit dealership if i was buying it they would take it off the truck. All they have is auto but the dealer did say they would start having specials on the Frontier next month :)
  • ukbballfanukbballfan Member Posts: 13
    Any idea on what he meant by specials? I've been hoping for a rebate or something to motivate me to buy an 05 instead of waiting on the 06's. It's tough to pass up a $3500 rebate on a Dakota quad but I really like the Fronty. Is the Rockford Fosgate package worth the price? I'm mid forties so my rockin' days are behind me but I still crank up AC/DC occasionally. Anyone ever get the Sirius Radio option... if so how is it? One last ?... any problems with the Fronty sunroofs?
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    The fosgate sound system is pretty nice, best part is the steering wheel controls (I would pay the extra just for this). I have XM radio and love it. I have LE with sunroof, I really like it, no problems. The roof rack does make enough noise with sunroof open that I don't drive over about 60 mph with the sunroof open, just a little noisy for my taste.
    rebates and low finance rates
  • screwedbynisanscrewedbynisan Member Posts: 1
    is your nissan a 2001? if it is it may be on recall. mine was and consistantly had the light turning off and on. when i asked to have it reset they stated it would not turn on and was on again after the first tank off gas. the easy way of telling if it is on recall is to watch and see if gas squirts out of the tank when filling. it is a defect in a sensor. when the sensor is fixed it also seals the leak and creates the correct suction in the tank and turns off the light. they may try to tell you that the light is on because you need a new catalytic converter....dont believe it. my truck is fine now for almost half a year.
  • kipper1kipper1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a question for you. I talked to Nissan customer service yesterday regarding the SE CC 4x4 factory keyless entry listed on their website (SE pop. pack). They indicated that it is mistake and will be taken off (along with the fog lights). You are indicating that keyless entry has been added to the SE. Has anyone heard anything about this?
    Nissan recently added keyless entry to the SE Power Package because I just saw several new SE CCs on the lot with keyless entry specificly noted on the factory window price sticker. Too, the Power Package price has just jumped like $200 to reflect the addition of keyless entry. I think the customer service person is misinformed. The last time I phoned Nissan to ask about something, the woman I spoke to was just plain angry that I'd called; I'm not sure where they get their people from.

I've not heard anything about factory fog lights on the SE nor adding 8-way *manual* seats like NISMO gets. I think it's pretty rediculous that Nissan provides only basic seats in SE. I mean what can Nissan be saving here? $10 ?

It's this kind of confusion, uncertainty and oddities that are keeping me out of an '05.

Asa
  • kipper1kipper1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, I too am waiting for the '06 models.

I saw the fog lights listed as stand. equip. on their website - after you 'build your frontier', view printable summary, look under Exterior Equipment. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for a SE CC w/keyless entry to make to my area - Springfield, IL.
    Oh yes, now I recall seeing the Fog Light listing on the SE website build summary. It's wrong as you know.* I would think that a manufacturer would keep its website current and accurate, as its a wellspring of knowledge for dealers too. I remember that when the Chevy Colorado was introduced, GM's webpage had all sorts of errors on the Coly and Canyon. I think it took until the '05s until they finally squared things up. Hopefully Nissan will do the same on Fronty's website for the '06s.

Asa

* You can buy Nissan parts to add Fog Lights to the SE and the install process has been pretty well documented on other forums.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I think there's a pretty significant mistake on the Frontier site now about VDC being standard on most/many models-- without the traction package.

I saw a couple of posts about this here awhile ago, but has anyone looked into it?
    I've been planning to call Nissan and see what's what, but I'm not sure I'll even get the straight dope from customer service.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    For anyone interested, just found out from AZTrucks that a power rear sliding window will be available for the Fronty by mid July. Email said special order, so it won't be on the website. Price was $515, a little expensive, but I think it will very nice, great with the sunroof.

Also, I am at 12,500 miles, loving this truck. I see why they made the interior the way they did, my truck still looks brand new.
    Word on the street is that Nissan just announced a $1,000 rebate on '05 Frontier this week. I don't have any details, nor can I verify that it's true, but several people have said so on another forum.
  • svslarrysvslarry Member Posts: 12
    My salesman just called me w/ the good news today. I have had a KC SE on order since April & it's due in any day. He told me Nissan just announced the $1000 rebate.