Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• philamag87philamag87 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone i just joined the site and a had a question for any of the Frontier owners. I have only test driven the new CC and absolutley love it! I'm waiting a little longer to buy one to see what the change if anything. My question is about the center console arm rest. Does anyone find it too short? Can you still use it? If you look at other trucks the arm rest comes out almost half way along the length of the seat. Has anyone noticed a problem? I'm 5'9" if that helps.

Thanx for any help!
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    The rep at your dealer who does the order has to babysit because Nissan does occassionally change things. I'd suggest adding the tonneau later and locating a truck with the rest of the features you listed, because they are pretty common.
    I'm 6-1 and the center armrest is perfect, but I drive with the seat all the way back.
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    The center console works just fine for me, so I didn't understand why some owners complained about it being too far back. Then my wife drove my truck and slid the seat forward and I saw the problem. Let's just say that if you are vertically challenged and/or drive with the seat forward you might find the center console to be not a very good arm rest.
  • ricceesriccees Member Posts: 24
    Installed a back up sensor on my Fronty. Works pretty good and now I don't have to worry about backing into something or running over sombody. Check this site out:

http://www.reversebackingsystems.com/NFDT104-LP.html
    Contact me regarding this sensor; might be able to get you a deal.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I was looking at these. It seems like the ones with the 4 sensors (although you have to drill into the bumper) would be better. Do you have any thoughts? thanks
  • willcwillc Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an 05 LE CC in storm gray. I LOVE the truck. Only had it for a week, getting 18 mpg according to the trip cpu.

I like the paint matched bumpers OK, but would really prefer the chrome bumpers. If any of you have ordered or inquired about these add-ons, how much did you pay? I think the truck looks good, but the front end especially would be vastly improved by the chrome look.

Thanks in advance!
  • hungkhungk Member Posts: 14
    I just recieved my 05 CC SE 4x4 ,... 2 weeks ago , after ordering it.
    and I think my chrome front and rear look awesome , and I think it wouldnt look well if it was painted like my O3 CC 4x4 was , even tho i rember it being a pretty pricy option, over the standard black on the outside. but Ill give em this ;;;
    I dint used to like the plastic on the outside, till a while back when me and my wife were out boonie hoppin in her 03 Xterra, and she backed into a tree, nailed it right square on the back pillar , small metal damage about 10 inches long,
    dint set off the airbags, im surprised .!!!! dint even effect the glass or the seals or back hatch fit....
    but the piece of plastic on the bumper, was like almost turned inside out and looked like a verticle football shape , that night it took a couple pieces of firewood and a maul.( dint want her goin to work the next morn , looked baaaaaaaad !!!)
    ,popped it back out, and put it back on , first dent, on her wheels, and shees proud of it, doesnt lookk half bad ! andshe doesnt want it fixed, go figure ? ! . makes me think twice, or ten times about the back up sensors u guys talkin about ,
    and ive read complaints about the all black plastic interior , and i dont mind a bit.
    besides most brands now are all plastic inside unless its chrome or painted plastic , no big deal just costs more , like leather, diff bolts for diff folks
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I'm in the DC metro area and they do not seem to be all that common. I've check ALL dealer inventories that are on the net. If I thought I saw anything that might be close, I called to check. I did find a couple, wrong color, or in one case, was built in Jan. and had been on the dealer's lot for six months. Had some "burnt orange" in the interior. Maybe if I checked with dealers in outlying areas in MD and VA, I might find one. Problem is that those dealers do not tell you much about their inventory on their web sites, so it involves lots of phone calls. Then, are they going to omit some important detail and I learn when I get there that it's a stick shift instead of automatic. (Ok with me but a problem for my wife.) Yes, Nissan can make a mistake too. Also, would prefer that the cover be from Nissan and included in the price. So, guess I'll take my chances there. - 81 Trekker
  • diko617diko617 Member Posts: 3
    I just traded my 04 Nissan Frontier KC XE to a 05 Nissan FRONTIER CC LE. I test drive the Ridgeline, Tacoma, and Dakota. You know what guys nothing come close to a Frontier when it comes to power of the engine. I even like the quiet interior it got, im driving at 80 mph and all i here is the whistle that comes from the roof rack. I dont want to make any comment about the Tacoma & ridgeline, see it for yourselves. Believe me after you tried to the test drive the Trucks ive mentioned, you will agree with me that I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE in choosing a NISSAN FRONTIER! :)
  • waterman1waterman1 Member Posts: 21
    I TOTALLY AGREE.
    It's up to you and what you prefer. I have no experience with the drill into the bumper type but I figure the license plate type works as good and easier to install. So far, mine is working just fine. Either one, I should be able to get you a good price.

http://www.reversebackingsystems.com/
  • tribstertribster Member Posts: 20
    I have been looking for a 05 Frontier LE CC 4X4 for a couple of months now. It seems non of dealers have any fresh vehicles. Most of them have 1 or 2 in black and a bunch of KCs. Does anyone know if these are being held back at the factory for some reason? Or is Nissan getting ready for the 2006 year. I am in the upper midwest. Any comments would be greatly appreciated?

• badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    that sounds cool what you did to your truck,good luck with it.
    Just wanted to know witch truck you bought .
    also dose anyone have a true MPG on their new Crew cabs and King cabs,looking at buying a auto tranny.

Thanks.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I agree that Frontier's seem to be limited. Most I have seen are in Black, White with a few in Red or the bright Blue that I'm not crazy about. In the DC metro area, trying to find a NISMO with a crew cab and all the "bells and whistles" is difficult. (See my post above.) Today, found a large dealer that's willing to try to locate one within their region for me. Previously, the best I could hope for was to order a new 06 which I'm sure will not be at a discounted price. Nissan did build some in June as the one he tentatively located in PA is a June build. However, the inventory is a few days behind, so he has to confirm via phone that it's still available.

Another problem is that dealers do not keep their own inventories on their web pages up to date. Some, even in close in Northern VA, will not provide their inventories on their web pages. Once you get away from the cities and burbs, the dealers don't attempt to have any inventories shown. Some still don't have web pages!!!! So, the only way for certain to locate what you want is by having a dealer make an inquiry against the official inventory. Too bad Nissan and others don't push their dealers a little harder on better web pages with more accurate inventories. - 81 Trekker
  • tribstertribster Member Posts: 20
    Thanks Trekker...

Actually, I have been checking the NissanUSA.com pretty much every other day. You can build a vehical and then search your local dealer inventories for the exact match. The data I assume is kept up to date by Nissan since it is the official company website. This avoids having to look at individual dealer web sites.

I used to have a 01 CC SE. It had a lot of problems and was in the shop every other month. It was one of the first ones of the assembly line after the redesign. I have been waiting for the new improved one and was not going to buy one from the initial batch. I am curious how good/bad the gas milage is on the new one. My old one was bad. The highest I ever got was 18 on the highway. I hope this one is better. Anyway good luck with your search ... I'll keep looking too. :)
    have about 500 miles on my CC auto trans v6 now, and getting 20-21 mpg .
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    is yours a LE, SE, Nismo ? 4x4? 20 mpg must be all freeway.
  • ukbballfanukbballfan Member Posts: 13
    I have a new LE CC auto 4x2 that now has 2000 miles on it. Around town with partial freeway travel I get 18-20. On a trip last week-end, completely on the interstate, doing an average of 75 M.P.H., I got 24...according to the trip computer. If I reset the trip computer and then drive a steady 50 M.P.H. I can get it as high as 26. This has been with the air conditioner on max all the time.
  • devo1devo1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 4x4 SE, automatic, King cab with 1800 miles on it. I recently loaded 2
    motorcycles (street bikes, about 900 lbs total), lots of gear, and towed a pop-up
    camper. It was all interstate, but we did take I-70 through West Virginia which is full of hills (lots of 3rd and 4th gear downshifts). AC was on most of the time. 65-75 mph average. The truck towed the load great. Plenty of power and braking when needed. The actual MPG was 17.7. I was very happy with this.
  • procur8orprocur8or Member Posts: 1
    is there any way to know what the pricing and options will be on the '06 models?
  • nismo4menismo4me Member Posts: 15
    My kk nismo auto. has not gotten more than 17 mpg yet! It has 1500 miles and I just keep hoping it will get better soon.I have driven two tanks in a row now trying to get better mileage.I didnot go over 60 mph and most of the driving is open backroads,very little city driving.I wonder if there is something wrong with my truck. :lemon: J/K
    I also have a tonneau cover,it did not help,either.
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    I think this could be a Nismo thing. Other postings with SE's & LE's seem to be getting better mileage, even with 4x4 auto's. I have 5000 miles now with a life time average city/freeway of 13.8 miles per gallon. I will get around 17 mpg if it is 100% freeway. Been to the dealer twice and they find nothing wrong. I like the truck-but the mileage sucks. :cry:
  • rdb40swrdb40sw Member Posts: 2
    I have a 05 Frontier Crew Cab SE with auto trans. The transmission sometimes have a delay in shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. There is also a noise when coming to a stop from under the vehicle. Sounds like something heavy is still moving forward causing the noise. This started after just a week of ownership. This problem occurred 5 times and been to the nissan dealer 3 times and they could not duplicate the problem. The Service Manager drove my truck to and from his home which is about 100 miles and still no problem. I also called the Nissan Consumer Affairs and they also said that they cannot do anything until the dealer is able to duplicate the problem.
    Awesome!!!!!!!!
    I get that with nothing in my Chevy4.3 LT.
    I can't wait too buy Nissan again. had a 89hardbody and a93hardbody, sold it at 260.000Mi on it, dude you will never buy another truck then Nissan again,thoe I was dumb and bought a Chevy.You can't kill these's trucks!!!!!!!!!

Hey goodluck with yours,hey give a MI. up date again,thanks .
    is your truck the Le or NIs. ,
  • jchokiejchokie Member Posts: 4
    I just filled up for the second time in my new 4x4, LE, Crew Cab. I am quite pleased with my first mileage check of 20.7 mpg. With just over 600 miles on the truck, I guess I can only expect it to get better. 90% of my driving was the 30 mile one way trip back and forth to work each day - 12 miles of 4 lanes at 55 mph, 3 miles of small town stop & go at 35 mph (in between stop lights), 15 miles of 2 lanes at 55 mph. Mornings were about 50/50 with A.C. and afternoons were 100% A.C.

I am kind of surprised at the wide spectrum of mileage reported...

JC
    Thanks...
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    The king cab 4x2 models such as mine would almost certainly get better fuel economy because of the combination of lower vehicle weight and higher final drive ratio (2.937:1). Still, the largest single variable on fuel economy seems to be driving style. I do a great deal of driving on state highways where the speed limit is 65; I regularly see 22-23 MPG on those stretches. Pushing the average speed to 70 (2,000 RPM) drops the average to 20.5, while sailing along at 75 or better will drop me under 20. Any way you look at it, that's pretty darned impressive fuel economy for a 4,000 pound vehicle has 265 HP and is shaped like a brick. My last truck was a 3.0L V-6 Ranger that was a 5-speed and absolutely slow as grunt and couldn't get 20 MPG traveling downhill with a tailwind. An added bonus? The Frontier does it all on 87-octane fuel--try that in a Tacoma.
    in answer too your Q , my truck is an 05 SE CC, I dont have the locker rear
    end, or the hill holder or decent options, just the anti slip option, which came with the power package, or I should say U cant have unless equipped with the power package, whick was one of the amennities(THE POWER PACKAGE, HAVENT SLIPPED A TIRE YET !!!! .and I like that ) I wanted with my truck, and they were few - paint trans and eng, and I had to have the Crew cab, with a short bed, soooooooooo.. its Storm Gray, 5 spd auto, and the 265 hp v6,
    auto trannys get a little better than sticks, and id think the other forementioned options would pull some power, but in the Nismo , It,d be hard to tell, as the 4.0 v6 is verrry verrrrrrry strong, im on my second tank and getting 19 too 20 mpg still ,,, im likin that , as my 03 dint get much better than 22-23 mpg in the same configuration ................ I vote :its a nismo thing , not to mention some onboard drains like gps , or xm and other electrical drains . an amp,
    on a serious sound system takes power to run... riggggght !!!!
    but then what is Rockford Fosgate but a serious sound system.
    Yep. I think its a nismo thing >*<
    nope not a nismo, mines a 4.0 SE 4x4 CC,
    and round town and out in the boonies kinda drivin ,
    Im impressed, as I said in another post (thought i was replying too your Q
    #1169 ) I think its a nismo thing ....
    My 05 NISMO CC 4x4 typically gets 17-18, so it's not a NISMO thing. My highest tanks were 24 cruising Yellowstone NP at 45-50 mph. As somebody else posted, I can watch the mpg go down as my cruising speed goes up. While the engine has the power to easily cruise at 90, it gets thirsty at that speed (15-16).

My next truck will be whoever makes one that gets mid-20's or better with 300 hp using hybrid/VCM technology. Toyota and Honda are the hybrid leaders now, but Nissan might surprise us.
  • benn4benn4 Member Posts: 2
    Would like to ask if your Nismo is AT or 6 spd? Been looking to buy the latter because I believe the secret to mpg is to live in that 6th gear.
  • buffaloguy1buffaloguy1 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the ironic good fortune of owning both the 04 CC, and the 05 NISMO within 6 months of each other. I put over 4000 miles on the 04 in 3 months of driving. I bought the 05 NISMO and put nearly 5000 miles in just under 2 months. The 04 was stolen and i replaced it with the 05. Bummer at the time, but after I got the 05, it turned out to be a blessing. The 05 NISMO really is a GREAT vehicle. But that's another post.
    I'm a biologist and I make long trips on the highways, and then put the truck through the test in very extreme off road situtations. My NISMO has the trip computer, but I also always do my own fuel calculations. They tend to be pretty much in agreement, just make sure that you reset the MPG computer after each fill up. Off road 4x4 mileage is about 10 to 12 mpg. That's normal for any 4x4 when fully engaged. Someone mentioned driving habits in an earlier post. I couldn't say more about that myself. 75 mph will yield you 18mpg, with AC on. Around town is variable-16 to 18. If you cruise the highway at 65 mph you will get anywhere from 19 to 23 MPG. A lot of rapid acceleration and passing will destroy your mileage. If you drive smoothly on the highway and just cruise, you will get 20 to 23. Thsi is the nature of managing vehicles with greater mass. The heavier an object becomes, the greater the energy it takes to get it up to cruise speed. Pilots all know this sort of stuff, and now that many of us are driving heavier vehicles, we should start thinking about driving in terms of "managing energy."
    There seems to be a thin energy band on the 05 NISMO that lies somewhere 2100 RPM and 2300 RPM (can't remember those exact numbers, but you get the concept). Go above a certain RPM and gas mileage plummets.
    Also, somebody else mentioned something about all the electrical equipment lowering gas mileage. That is false. AC lowers gas mileage because it engages another pulley attached to the engine, but the 300 watt rockford fosgate does not use gas, neither does the trip computer, etc. Hope this helps.
    Pal ,you will not save much unless you keep it for more then 6yrs or more ,since it will cost so much ,do the research,its not worth it unless you keep for along time as I said.
    As a follow-up, my NISMO has an auto. Great discussion from buffalo, matches my experience exactly. 2300 rpm is the point where the mileage will start to drop. Those of us with the earlier 05's that haven't had the TSB for the rattling intake know exactly when the power is kicking in and the mileage is dropping. I have had the TSB done and the intake is much quieter now. Those of you with the later 05's don't have to worry about that because they incorporated it on the production line.
  • benn4benn4 Member Posts: 2
    Good informative post with numbers that don't surprise me unless you're driving a Nismo w/Auto Trans. My guess would be that you're coaxing those impressive mpg #'s out of a man. trans. Which is it?
  • chriscochrisco Member Posts: 1
    I think we all know that horsepower and gearing is a big mileage factor. If you want better mileage stay with the 4 cylinder. Unfortunately there are little options on th XE.
    And whats the deal with the limited desert color interior. Its great but limited to only a few colors.
    Also the wheels. who on earth sets the standard at nismo. 4 spokes absolutely stink with no option on the LE. Nismo needs to go to school Wheels make a vehicle. The aftermarket wheel business ihas gone full scale. wake up NISMO.

Anyone pay less than invoice?
    Just did a 400 mile highway trip today, A/C on, mostly level terrain with some hills. Mileage on both tanks was 18.5-19.0 mpg. At 82 I'm turning 2500 rpm. Above that the mpg starts to take a dive. At 70 I'm turning 2100 rpm, mpg rises significantly, but I get bored too quickly at that speed so I can't accurately say how high the mpg would have been.

I have a GPS in my truck and my speedometer and odometer are exactly 3.5% low, which means I'm actually getting about .6 mpg higher than shown by the vehicle's odometer and trip computer. If your truck has the same speedo/odo error, you are getting higher mileage than you think, too. My NISMO 4x4 CC Auto has the stock Goodrich Rugged Trail tires. I measure my mileage manually, and it is generally within 0.2 of what the trip computer shows. The 18.5-19.0 mpg figures I'm reporting include the correction for my odometer error.

Most of my vehicles get 10% less than the EPA highway figure when I travel at 82 mph, so the NISMO getting just 5% less than the EPA highway figure of 20 seems quite good.
  • gregd64gregd64 Member Posts: 9
    Hi everybody,

I've been trying to figure out if I have the reciever for the Fob to communicate with for keyless entry,
    The other posts here describe locking all the doors and inserting the key at least 6 times within 10 secs..etc and the hazard lights will flash. being the penny pincher I am I tried this without a FOB just the factory key to see if the lights flashed before I went out and bought a Fob and wasted my cash. My question is do I need a FOB first to make the lights flash? As in on the keychain?

Thanks
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    You don't need to do all of that. I have an SE and I bought two fobs from ebay for about 15 bucks delivered. They work great. Your fobs should work when you get them. I don't recall if the fob is required to make the lights blink. I think there is a post somewhere in here that tells you the steps.
  • willsimwillsim Member Posts: 33
    You have the receiver. I have an early build SE KC w/power pack I bought a FOB from Ebay and now have keyless entry for $22. The FOB looks just like a Nissan part and even refers you to the owners manual for directions on changing the battery.
  • alko2alko2 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody notice how little front suspension travel there is on the 2-wheel drive Crew Cab? There's only about 3/4" of space between the front a-arm and the a-arm stopper. I wonder if that's why it seems to rock excessively on uneven roads at highway speeds.
  • alko2alko2 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have a 05 Frontier with the 6-speed tranny? If so, Does the engine tend to race while shifting because the because the throttle has a delay before deccelleration. Please let me know if you've noticed this. According to the service department, it's normal. They said the delay on the 350Z is even more extreme. It makes no sense to me as I can't seem to get the timing just right for a super smooth shift especially when I exccellerate hard. Is this true or is the dealership feeding me a line? Thanks, alko
  • pryme21pryme21 Member Posts: 11
    I want to put a shell on my 05 Frontier NISMO CC. I had a GEM-TOP with the vertically opening side windows on my old hardbody. Dose anyone make a top with the opening side windows for the CC Frontier :confuse:

Thanks
    Thanks for the Info I ordered and FOB on ebay and will see if it works..

Thanks
    Im having my Fold-A-Cover tonneau cover installed this saturday I'll let everybody whos interested know if it goes on without and modifications which some people have stated it does and some who said they had no issues..
    I put my fold-a-cover on about 2 weeks ago. It works great. Full use of utility-rack. Comes off in about 2 minutes with removing two screws. Weighs about 35 lbs (for Crew Cab). Gas mileage is a little better, but the cover is great.

I am having a power sliding rear window put in today. Will update with how I like it.
    the cr laurence power slider is in. Looks/works great. Power button is next to rear cargo light and looks factory. Helps to keep the noise from sunroof down and let air go through much better. Got best price on AZ trucks and installed locally.
    Only bad thing is that is sticks out on the back a little, and I have to adjust my folding cover to get into the first folding portion next to the cab.