Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• jonaschilkjonaschilk Member Posts: 5
    Hi.
    I bought an '05 NISMO in mid-May. My highway driving mileage can get up to 20 mpg. But only 14 mpg around town. That's with a light foot, too. I think the fuel consumption issue stinks.

I went to the dealer and asked about it. He said don't think of it as mpg, but as gallons consumed per unit of time. I didn't think to ask what the normal consumption was per hour. In some ways it makes sense, especially if you are stopped in traffic a lot. On the other hand maybe they just sloughed me off.

At any rate, I bought my KC NISMO with utility and audio package for $500 under invoice, and I think I got very good value for my money.

Has anyone offered you a way to increase you mileage other than waxing, conservative driving, closing the window, etc.?

JAS
  • jchokiejchokie Member Posts: 4
    Update - 3rd tank of gas brought 20.76 mpg. Again, my expectations were exceeded because I spent a little more time in traffic.

Working on 1,100 miles and no complaints so far.

JC Hokie
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    I think thats pretty good and you don't even have over 5.000 yet,so I think you will get even better MPG, so can you keep on giving us up dates guys,I still can't wait to buy one,like I stressed I don't even get 20 MPG in my chevy 4.3LT4WD so I will welecome 20mpg and a tad better....

Thanks again guys for all you MPG updates keep them coming. :D:D:D
  • nismo4menismo4me Member Posts: 15
    My 05 nismo kk 4x4 has yet to get over 17.2...I have 1500 miles of mostly 55-70 mph backroads driving on the truck.
  • gregd64gregd64 Member Posts: 9
    Has anybody put on a Side Step on there 2005 Frontier yet? I can't even find one out there.. there all for 2004 or older.. FOB programmed without a hitch.. I now have a $20 remote keyless entry (ebay) .. instead of the $140 dealer price..
  • scnismoscnismo Member Posts: 3
    Anyone notice rusting of the dash brackets holding the radio? I just swapped out the radio in my 05 kc nismo, and noticed the brackets were rusting. Not sure it's a Nissan issue, since Circuit City recently installed new speakers in the dash, and did a really crappy job.They may have left something loose. Figured I'd ask around so I'd know whether to go back to Nissan or return to Circuit City for the 5th time to make another complaint. Other than this, the truck has been great. 20mpg hwy,no rattles,smooth'n quiet, and power!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah, glad i waited for the 05 :shades:
  • jmbakerakjmbakerak Member Posts: 3
    I waited till I had five tanks of gas on the truck before I posted. Mine is an ‘O5' SE King Cab 4x4 with a 6 spd manual, ABLS, side curtain air bags, power package and tow package in Canteen (the green). My first five tanks are; 20.9, 19.9, 21.5, 20.9 and 22.2 mpg. That last tank was mostly highway plus helped one friend move a piano across town and another a wood stove. I guess with a piano in the back I became a real feather foot. The rest of the tanks were a blend of approximately 65% highway 35% city. It will be interesting to see how this improves with age since all the four wheeled vehicles I’ve owned didn’t reach their optimal gas mileage until about 60,000 miles.

This is not my only vehicle, my drive to work car is a Honda Insight. The truck is for play, hauling mountain bikes in the summer and ski gear in the winter.
  • dander1dander1 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone heard what the difference will be on the 2006 vs. 2005 Frontier models? I hear the 2006 models come out in October.
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    Let's hope they add the 6 ft bed option back onto the crew cab. If they do I will be trading in my 03.
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    After going back and reading many posts about gas mileage, it appears that the big difference is Auto vs 6 sp manual. not Nismo, SE, Le or even 2x2 or 4x4. I think most Auto trannys are seeing 13-18 mpg. Manuals are seeing 17-22 mpg. My mileage is very low because my average speed (according to the computer) is around 15- 20 miles per hour for a tank of gas, ie mainly City driving. When posting mileage figures please let us know if you are Auto or 6 sp Manual. I think this is the big variable and many mileage postings don't mention your tranny. Thanks
  • waterman1waterman1 Member Posts: 21
    i have 2005 frontier SE CC and when i went through the program nothing flashed at all, but it worked like it was supposed to. I programed 2 key fobs and they both work great.
  • waterman1waterman1 Member Posts: 21
    I've been looking I haven't seen anything,dose anyone know of any sites for info
  • time2time2 Member Posts: 25
    I just bought an 05 Frontier SE CC and it has the bed extender option that works on the track system. All fine and dandy, but I want to put a fiberglass topper on the truck and I'm wondering if it will work with that bed extender. I'm pretty sure it will, but I was wondering if anyone here has gone this route.

FWIW, our new SE CC came with the keyless entry and two fob units.

As for the gas milage, I'm hoping for 20 mpg or a little better, but it's a powerful 4wd truck, so it won't do as well as my 93 Nissan pickup. Heck, that only got 25-27 for a 2wd 4 banger. I'll take the trade!

Our next "runaround" car will probably be a hybrid, which will help in the overall gas consumption.
  • grungergrunger Member Posts: 1
    Does that not scare you that you could order that fob off of the net and NOT need to program it? I mean what you are saying is that anyone with 15 bucks can basically buy entrance to any keyless entry equiped Nissan. I think something must be wrong with your keyless entry or I misunderstood your post.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    < Does that not scare you that you could order that fob off of the net and NOT need to program it? I mean what you are saying is that anyone with 15 bucks can basically buy entrance to any keyless entry equiped Nissan. I think something must be wrong with your keyless entry or I misunderstood your post.>

I'm not the guy who made the post, but an element of programming the fob involves being inside the cab and the ignition key must be used in the process. Nope, ya can't break into any Nissan Frontier with a $15 e-Bay fob. :)
    < is there any way to know what the pricing and options will be on the '06 models? >

Nope, things are a still mystery at this time. Nissan started to crank out the '05s in late October 2004, so we'll just have to be patient. I'm hoping that the '06 SE CCs offer:

* 8-Way Manual Seats
    * Side air bags without the sunroof
    * Compass/Temperature rearview mirror

Whether these will be available in the '06 SE CCs, I haven't a clue ......
  • svslarrysvslarry Member Posts: 12
    Getting close to the first fill-up for my new '05 Frontier & wondering what octane gas everyone is using...Owner's manual say 87 is ok but for best performance use 91. I'm thinking I'll use 87 except when we tow our travel trailer. Just curious.....
  • toby07toby07 Member Posts: 6
    hello everyone ,just bought 2005 frontier 4 months ago .I using 87 octane gas now but i also tried 89 octane for better gas milage it didnt work !! only getting 15 city .. is this true with all .I love the truck its A cc se ..but I seen people get better gas miles on A 8 cyl..please let me know ...
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    Of course I had to program it. I am sorry if I was misleading or unclear. But, no, I am not saying "anyone with 15 bucks can basically buy entrance to any keyless entry equiped Nissan."
    You must have the key and be in the vehicle to program the fob, as the key needs to be inserted and removed form the ignition repeatedly to initialize the programming process, and you have to operate the power locks at some point, from inside.
    Anyone questioning buying a fob from ebay, do it. It works and is easy. Most any current fob from any Nissan (possibly Infiniti) will work.

Thanks for Asa for help with this clarification.
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    You are pretty much wasting your money using premium fuel in the new Frontier. I ran dyno tests (see my web site for the results) that showed no substantial horsepower improvement when comparing 93-octane with 87-octane. I also did carefully controlled fuel economy tests that showed no significant gains in mileage. My Frontier runs like a beast on 87-octane, and gets excellent fuel economy to boot. Tacoma owners, eat your hearts out!

jack <><
    http://www.reverendbiker.com/frontier.htm
    I totally agree...I bought 3 on ebay from 3 different individuals for a total of $42 including shipping and programmed them on the first try. Even surprised myself. And Nissan raised the price of the Power Pkg $200 and now includes 2 remotes, gimme a break!
    Thanks for the good news...I tried clicking on the link to your website but got an error message. I'll try the link to your site on TUNFS, I've seen your posts there also. Thanks again...
    Fat fingers foiled me again. The correct link to my Frontier site is http://www.reverendbiker.com/frontier/frontier.htm
    Sorry.
    jack <><
  • prerunnerdudeprerunnerdude Member Posts: 1
    Hello, this post is excellent! I&#146;m thrilled about the easy keyless entry. My wife&#146;s &#146;05 Frontier has power locks with only one key hole on the driver&#146;s side. It&#146;s very irritating to have to walk around to the drivers side each time you need to unlock the truck. I did an eBay search for the FOB and there are several &#147;Frontier &#146;02, &#146;03, and &#146;04&#148; to choose from with a nice buy it now price of about 25 bucks… but only a few &#147;&#146;05 Frontier&#148;… and those are around 50 bones! Will the &#146;04s work with a &#146;05?

Thanks!
    Sometimes the sellers have the FCC and model #'s listed, if not ask them...The three I bought (from three different sellers) all say FCC # KBRASTU15 and model # ASTU15 and were advertised as Pathfinder/Frontier compatible. HTH
  • vuchvuch Member Posts: 17
    Manik makes nerf bars for the 05 Frontier. Pricey though. I think $350-400 for stainless.
  • vuchvuch Member Posts: 17
    I have a 05 CC. The salesman threw in 2 older Pathfinder fobs. They programmed fine...so the cheaper ones on e-bay should work fine! :)
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    I bought mine on ebay. They are from a Murano. Advantages to that include:
    1. No trunk release button (which makes sense for a pickup).
    2. Fewer bidders seem to search for "Murano" fobs, so mine were 9 bucks plus shipping, or something like that. Total was 14 bucks.
    Happy fob hunting.
  • hatchmasterhatchmaster Member Posts: 1
    Does the engine tend to race while shifting because the because the throttle has a delay before deccelleration. Please let me know if you've noticed this. ***

I just bought a 05 Niss Frontier Nismo 6-speed manual three days ago. I do notice the engine stays high after the clutch is pushed in and foot released. I am starting to shift at lower RPMs because of this.
  • alko2alko2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for replying. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one to notice it. According to the dealer, it has no throttle cable. The throttle is electronically controlled, but I'm baffled as to why they designed it with any type of hesitation. To me, it's very annoying, and it's my biggest complaint about the truck so far. If anybody has any info about this, please post it. Thanks
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    This may be a nominee for dumb question of the month, but can someone just confirm for me that the VDC operates in 2WD mode and doesn't require that one be in 4Hi.
    I don't own a Fronty 6-Speed yet, but will be getting an '06 SE CC. Your concern worries me too. What RPMs are you shifting at now? Given the V-6's torque, I'd guess that 2,500 to 3,000 RPM is the correct range for normal driving.
  • rock_houndrock_hound Member Posts: 4
    After the first tank in my King Cab V6 SE in mixed driving, I was getting 19.6 mpg. I now love my truck even more. :blush:
  • tommybrocktommybrock Member Posts: 6
    Is it possible to remove the factory Roof Rack? Either get rid of it completely or leave hardware.

All LE's seem to have them. Only other solution is try to build up and SE to get options I want.

Heard a lot of complaints on noise. But also, simply do not like the looks of the Frontier's rack. Too much for my tastes.
    My King Cab LE model doesn't have the roof racks; Crew Cabs do.
  • tommybrocktommybrock Member Posts: 6
    You're right. I am getting Crew Cab. That is problem.
  • conismoconismo Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else had issues with either the battery, alternator, or starter?
    I have an 05 KC Nismo, auto, with 5500 miles. Only use it on weekends for hauling dirt bike. Truck won't start if left for over a week. Dealer preformed full diagonstics but found nothing. Battery still showing 12 V and still won't start?
  • nismo4menismo4me Member Posts: 15
    YES it woks in 2wd ...Try flooring it from a dead stop on dirt or other slippery surface.You will see how it works.This is a good idea anyway so you know how the system acts when slippage occurs.
    Jay
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    I agree with you: I don't particularly care for the looks of the roof rack and it does generate noise with the sunroof open. However, I wanted the NISMO package which included the roof rack, so I have it. Have not tried removing it, as I have gotten used to the look and I just don't open my sunroof above 50mph.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Your truck may have been on the lot for awhile before you bought it. Replacing the battery under warranty sounds like a simple fix. Most of my new vehicles need a new battery under warranty within the first two years, and I drive about 25,000 miles a year so the battery never has time to sit. With yours sitting a week at a time, it wouldn't surprise me for you to simply need a new one.

What's the voltage measured at the terminals with the engine running? It should be 14 or more if your alternator is charging correctly.
    I'm thinking some kind of fairing would help the wind noise (but not the looks). Is it possible a Yakima or Thule fairing might work or be "adaptable"?
    Thanks nismo4me. I figured it did but the manual wasn't explicit.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I had a power rear window installed, and when you open the rear window and the sunroof, the sunroof wind noise goes way down. I usually drive on the Freeway at +75mph and have little noise this way.

Also, I just had a leveling kit and a small rear suspension block put in over the weekend. Raised the truck 2-3 inches. I think there is a huge improvement in the looks. I will try to post some pics. No change in anything stock, and this drives the same. Cost $250 and then I had an alignment done. you can order the kits, and it seemed like a fairly simple install if you have the right tools. If you check Nissan Titans, Greg (or prerunner greg) has designed kits for the Titan and is now doing them for the Frontier. He installed mine over the weekend at his house.
    The pictures aren't that great, I was in a hurry and the truck is dirty, but here are some pics.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sdfrontier
    can't wait to see it,but will this hurt the warranty at all?
    looks good,so how big of a tire will fit under their now?
    Remember that with a battery, the amperage matters as much as the voltage. A dying battery might show 12V, but produce too few amps to do much more than run the radio. To put it another way, you could connect 8 flashlight batteries in series and make 12V, but they would never start a vehicle.
    currently everything is stock (except the blocks). I was informed by the service manager that this will not void the warranty. Putting on larger tires may start pushing it a little. The stock 265/65/17 are about 30.5 inches. I think I could easily go another 1 -1.5 inches without rubbing and without voiding the warranty. I am putting a ton of miles on right now (I am at 18,000 miles), so I am going to burn up the factory tires and then decide what to put on. The other thing is, this kit can be easily removed and go back to stock in about an hour of work.
  • conismoconismo Member Posts: 5
    Have had the truck since March, was one of first in the state to get one. Battery shows 11.5 V off at terminals and around 3 during starting. Went back to dealer this morning, got a full recharge on battery, and full diagonstics again. Will have to see if battery will hold charge again. If not will expect a new one.