Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    No, I have 800 MI and its running like a dream Knock on wood, I have the CC-LE-4*4 -S/B .

sorry to hear you having problems, keep us posted thoe.
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 39
    You will notice that the receiver will mount right under the dash by the hood release and the antenna will run along the "A" piller, under the headliner and mount to the right of the rearview mirror. ( if you get xm it leaves a funky looking antenna on the outside of the passenger side of the windshield ). You do not need to pull the system as the hook ups are pre wired in the are that the system mounts.
  • alko2alko2 Member Posts: 9
    Nissan should ditch the Utilitrac system. I'd be happy with 4 corner (steel) hooks. The aluminum hooks are too bulky and too expensive ($50 each), and the floor tracks are week and almost worthless. I have a metalworking shop and am trying to build some smaller and more usefull steel hooks that will work on the tracks. When I do, you'll see them on ebay.
  • jhwjhw Member Posts: 3
    They performed the TSB that You are thinking about.Thats the one where they replaced the something in the intake manifold. Correct ?
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    No, there is a second one on there specifically describing a whine only during first starts when the engine is cold. The oil pan has to be removed to fix it, different from the air intake actuator TSB. Here is the heading.

Service Bulletin Num : 05066
    Date of Bulletin: JUL 20, 2005 View Document

Component: ENGINE
    Summary: 2005 FRONTIER WITH QR25DE ENGINE; WHINE NOISE FROM ENGINE WHEN COLD
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    Took it for another long weekend in the GW National Forest. One trip included a road I only take once or twice a year as it's a long drive (30 miles off-road) and a rough one. The latter part is especially rough and involves some minor rock climbing. (My GSD usually keeps his head out the window so he can bite the leaves off the trees, but he kept his head inside so it would not hit the window frame.) Went up a few hills that were steep and covered with rocks and lose gravel as well as embedded rocks too. My old 4Runner could barely make it up these hills. The NISMO had no trouble at all. I didn't need the locking differential but did use the hill descent a couple times. Had to trim the bushes and briars a few times so I wouldn't get scratches on the sides of the truck. Other than that, no delays due to the truck.

I continue to enjoy it on a daily basis as it handles easily in traffic and passes slower moving vehicles with ease. The Rockford-Fosgate with Sirius adds to the driving experience. It gets its first service at the dealer next week and I don't expect it to have any problems. If I'd tried to take a Honda Ridgeline into the GW National Forest, I'd have to stay on the maintained gravel roads. (See Edmunds long-term test on the Ridgeline).

81 Trekker
    Hey thanks this helps alot!
    well just went to nissanUSA and noticed you can bulid 2006.
    If anyone wanted to know.
  • sc_stevesc_steve Member Posts: 3
    I just installed the XM receiver in my 05' CC LE w/ Rockford radio. It took about 1 hr. to do, start to finish. I was quoted prices by the dealership ranging from $800 to $400 to do the job....and now that I'm done with it, I'm really pissed at how much they would have tried to screw me. It was really easy. Some tips:

1. I found a set of instructions on-line at Lee Auto parts, and they had the best price for the receivers too, $327 delivered for tuner, antenna, and bracket. Here's a link: http://www.leeparts.com/2005frontier.html

2. When you activate the account (on-line at XM site), go for a drive to give the activation time to work. I went to bed and then in the morning had to go to the WWW-site to "refresh" the link. Since then, no troubles at all.

3. If you do the installyourself, I would recommend a rubber spatular from the kitchen to push the antenna wire up under the headliner. It worked great for me.

4. Don't forget to disconect the battery before plugging things in. Apparently, it can screw up the computer on-board if it's "on" when you plug in the radio. I don't know for sure how crucial this is, but it seemed like good advice to me! I read it on-line somewhere.
    WOW,thanks alot, this is big!
    this will help me bigtime!!!

Thanks again
    SC Steve
  • mir0mir0 Member Posts: 15
    I just went through the same thing with my frontier. I finally managed to get the dealership to cough up one key fob, but the programming procedure, and the fcc id on the fob were different then what I have heard and seen on the internet.
    I am waiting on a couple of fobs that I bought on e-bay that have the fcc id kbrastu15 (this is the fcc id that has been suggested in this forum, and is the fcc id listed on e bay for 2005 frontiers), but the fcc id on the fob the nissan dealer provided is different. That fcc id is cwtwb1u415.
    When the dealership programmed the new fob, they actually used some kind of scanner to get the job done.
    I will post my results when the e-bay fobs show up.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    I learned about Greg at prerunners.com from a post on this forum, and am happy to pass along my endorsement as well. Excellent lift kit that maintained my stock ride and handling while giving 2.5 inches of lift. Highly recommend!link title I'll try to attach an image but not sure if I can.
    Hey, let me know if the images I'm trying to attach are coming thru. They work on my computer, but that just might be because that's the source. I don't know if the image is actually making it thru to the net. Thanks.

NOPE....

So whats everyone getting far as MPG lately,I'm getting between 20*21
    is anyone getting better,I just put 1thousnd Mi. on it today,rides like a champ.
  • wrs209wrs209 Member Posts: 4
    Took delivery on Aug 11 of my Frontier. I love this truck. I came out of a 2000 4Runner limited that I really liked, but found myself in need of a truck as we just purchased an older home as a fixer upper. I have used the utilitrack quite a bit and I think its great,very useful. 2600 miles so far and have averaged 20.2 Mpg. Not bad. The truck is an great hwy cruiser at 80 mph, not much wind noise. There is a little more engine noise under hard acceleration than I'd like, but the power and overall refinement of the engine more than make up for this. I highly recommend this truck to anyone shopping the Taco, Colorado/Canyon, Dakota. The Ridgeline is butt ugly and in my mind is not even a real truck, just a Pilot/Odyessy with and open "bed". I'm coming up on my first service and hope the dealer service will be painless, the sales part was great, dealer was very easy to work with on price, financing, etc. One question I have is has anyone noticed knocking noise and very high idle upon start up? I know this is somewhat normal due to lack of lubrication on start up, but it seems a bet excessive on my truck. Maybe just paranoia.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    I have not noticed any knocking noise in my LE KC, but it does have a fairly high idle speed upon start up. I plan to talk to the dealer when I take it in for an oil change next week to see if they can tone it down a little.

OkieScot
  • kingdlxkingdlx Member Posts: 1
    Mine has a rattle on cold start up also.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    If I understand your question correctly, yes mine makes that "dry start" sound, but it is VERY brief. My idle is not high, though.
  • rogerfrogerf Member Posts: 8
    Hello Forum,

I also heard that clink just recently @ about 7200 miles log in. You could hear just as you accelerate forward coming off the reverse position roughly 5 mph, very noticiable. Please let me know of any remidies.

rgferolino :confuse:
    knock on wood .... No Noise ,like I said , I drive it like a baby,no noise when backing up or anything, slow take offs of even at 5mphs,I been listing very close even when cruise is set at all speed even the lowest , witch is about 25mph.
    keep you guy posted.
  • colonelpaniccolonelpanic Member Posts: 10
    I finally made the plunge and started looking for my Frontier. But I need your advice. I just received a quote for a 2005 CC LE 4x4 with Leather, Traction, Side Airbags, Sunroof, Hitch, Fosgate, Mats, and Microfilter for Invoice ($28,252) minus rebate ($1,250) plus Tax, Tags and Registration.

Does this sound like a good deal? There only other CC 4x4 with the same options, except the airbags, in my area was quoted at $27,485.

The difference is only $767. The first dealer is closer to my house and since I will be transporting my children in this truck I like the idea of side airbags.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    That would be 28252 including the rebate, not minus the rebate if the deal is at invoice. ???

IMO, at this stage of the game, the deal is pretty decent but not great. Odds are that, in Oct 05 and with the 06's out, if you don't buy it, a loaded vehicle like that may not go anywhere, so it depends on how motivated the dealer is. My guess is at the end of the month, he might be able to "find" a couple of hundred $$$ more, but do you care that much?

Given that the 06's are out, have some different colors, already have a $500 rebate, and will give you an extra year on depreciation, I'd probably try to negotiate more on the '05, but then I'm kind of a grinder and you may not want to. Also, invoice on the air bags is about $475, so I'm not really sure why there's a difference of $767.

Should this be on "Prices Paid"?
  • ukbballfanukbballfan Member Posts: 13
    I got my CC LE for $400.00 under invoice and, at the time, a $1000.00 rebate, back in July....I'd think they would be even better now with the 06's on the way.
    Sorry, meant including the rebate. You're right, I probably should'a posted this prices paid. If I post again I will do it there.

I am also going to trade in my '97 Nissan Pick-Up. I plan on getting a good price for it or walking away from the deal so I think I can still make it better.

Thanks for your input.
    My truck only makes the "dry start" sound very briefly also, but its just that I've owned 10 vehicles , 2 toyotas, 4 mazdas,2 vw's etc and have never heard this before. (maybe after changing the oil) I guess its ok but I'll mention it at the first oil change. On another subject, I have noticed that at night the instrument panel lighting on the temp gauge and tach are a little dimmer than the speedo and fuel gauge. Anyone else have this in your truck?
    sell your truck out right unless you don't think you can get any money, this my EX. I bought my ccLE with all the bells and wistles allso,but they only wanted to give 2200.00 for it,it had a hundred grand on it, 2001chhevy loaded,4*4 side dr. etc.
    so you better think twice about trading it in unless they're giving you more then you hope.
  • richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
    Hi all! i have just bought a LE CC fresh out of the dealer. It was after the Rita hurricane. So there was no one in service to do an overall checkup such as checking fluids, tire pressure & balancing. The sales manager promised if i bring it back next week he would ask the service to perform all those tasks. So far i have not noticed anything wrong; odometer has 300 mi. Of course, i have done a self -checkup and everything. It looks like all fluids are filled, but i am kind of worried. Is this going to be a problem? Do they have to put in a computer...for a general checkup? Please advise. thank you all.
    Hello, I work at a dealership and wonder who did your PDI, (Pre-delivery inspection). This would include all inspections of all your vehicles systems and installing any fuses and or relays not done prior to delivery, tire inflation adjustments, fluid checks, road test, and signing off by a technician. If I were you I'd get your truck back to your dealer or another nissan dealer asap just to make sure that everything is O.K. Not trying to worry you, but your truck is a major purchase and I would want to make sure that everything is operating normally. Hope this helps......
    Like wrs209 said, I would take it back as soon as possible. It might be an issue on warranty work if you do not bring it back as they asked you to.

OkieScot
  • bigcanoebigcanoe Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am thinking about getting a 05/06 Frontier Crew Cab. There are a couple of options I am wondering about.

1) Sunroof - Is it power or manual? Do think its worth the money?

2) Manual vs. Automatic - Is the towing capacity the same with the 6speed as it is with the automatic? How about the gas mileage?

Thanks!
    Hello, I have an 05 Crew Cab SE that I bought 3 months ago w/2900miles. I think the power sunroof is worth twice the price. It has one touch open and close as well as tilt up and down. It gives natural light in the winter with the shade open and in the summer gives open air ventalation and sun. I wouldnt do without it. As far as the towing capacity,its the same with manuel or automatic. 6300 lbs. w/V6 only engine available w/ crew cab. The mileage is also the same with either transmission. Although the brochure said 17city 21 hwy. When I picked up my truck the window sticker said 16 city and 20 hwy. Real world numbers that I get w/auto trans. is anywhere from 17 to 22. Hope this helps.

Robert
    The sun roof is worth it if you like that sort of thing. I would pay more for the deletion of it than I would to have it. You lose head room, it is one more thing that can go wrong,
    and a potential future issue of leakage.

Those that like the sunroof swear by it and those of us who don't gripe because we have
    to take it to get some of the other things we like. I bought an LE KC instead of an LE CC over this very issue only it was because I did not want a roof rack.

My selection guide shows the towing capacity of a CC to be 6300 pounds, if you have
    a 4X4 it is 6100 pounds. There is no differential shown for the standard versus auto-
    matic transmission.

The same selection guide shows V-6 4X2 manual and automatic transmissions to both get 17/21 mpg. If you get a 4X4 model the manual still gets 17/21, but the automatic
    only gets 15/20.

There is not a lot of difference in the 2 and driving style can easily wipe out that differ-
    ence between 2 different drivers. You need to get the transmission that best fits your
    needs.

Good luck with your purchase and you should be happy with either transmission.

OkieScot
    I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the dealerships yet. So, does anyone know if you can get the Frontier's side airbag package with the traction package. I was able to find one 2005 CC left in my area but it was damaged on the lot and had to be repainted. The dealer didn't elaborate and I didn't ask how. When I tried building a 2006 on the Nissan web site it would not let me select both packages. The dealer has been vague and not answered the question directly. They just keep implying I can get what I want.n I'd like to know for sure before I go in.
  • txsfiremantxsfireman Member Posts: 4
    I own an 05 frontier crew cab NISMO 4X4 is there a 3" lift kit yet i called calmini and they said not till next month maybe and any news on a body lift anybody have one done?
    i think so but you cant get it with the 4x4
  • mstgshmstgsh Member Posts: 4
    Nissan sells the hard cover for 950, and I just saw one on the street - looks good. I want to get a hard top, but can't find one on a lot to inspect. So I don't understand how it works - where is it hinged and how does it open? Looks to be 2 pieces, with a handhold or anchor point on each half. Does it fold up against the back of the cab, accordian style?
    Oh well. I need the 4x4 to get up my driveway when it snows in the winter. So I guess it's either 4x4 and side airbags or 4x4 and traction. I think safety wise the traction package would be better as it would help prevent accidents. The air bags will obviously help if involved in an accident but hopefully I would need them less than the traction control.

txsfireman, could you point me to where you found that information. Thanks for the help.
    question, 2, so it looking at all dose anyone know??

whats everyone getting on MPGS
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    With the O5 Frontier, you had to get the sunroof package to get the side airbags. (I didn't care about the sunroof but didn't have a choice in it. Does provide more light in the cab and my wife likes it.) To get the traction package, I had to get the NISMO model with the heavier duty shocks. I test drove both the NISMO and the regular model and did not find the firmer shocks that much rougher. But, I've been driving 4Runners or a Mustang GT, so I'm used to a tough suspension system. (I think the Mustang is still a rougher ride than the NISMO)
    I did have trouble finding what I was looking for. Nissan apparently did not produce that many with the sunroof package which includes the side airbags. I was lucky that I found a dealer in the DC metro area that was willing to hunt for one and found it being built and scheduled for shipment to a dealer in NJ. He then worked out a trade. Whole process took about six weeks until I was able to pickup the truck.

Remember that with the traction package, the primary useful element in snow will be the limited slip differential and of course, 4 wheel drive. Need to be very careful with the locking differential as it will disengage the anti-lock brakes, needed in snow and ice. I've never needed it and I spent a lot of time off road in the national forest. I do not find the hill descent very useful. Tried it a couple times, but just don't need it that often.
    Overall, the truck is great. Please see my other posts for details.
    81 Trekker
    calmini has a 5" lift for the 05 frontier coming soon looks great you can see it on their web site they have a sneak peak
  • mir0mir0 Member Posts: 15
    Just got my fobs and gave them a try. It worked like a charm. I managed to program up all three that I have, one with the fcc id of cwtwb1u415, and two from e bay with ID KBRASTU15.
    Thanks to all that passed on advice on this subject.
    sorry peeps,wasn't watching when typing,
    Is the cover locking is what I meant to say.
    Greg at prerunners.com makes a very affordable (under $300) lift for the 05 Frontier. He did mine and I am very happy with it. 2.5" in the front, 2" in the rear, maintains stock suspension components, ride, and handling. 13" ground clearance now. He also has more aggressive lifts available to give even more clearance, but those require changing out major pieces and naturally cost more.
  • rogerfrogerf Member Posts: 8
    Hello mstgsh,

Looking for a hard cover? Go to www.kcovers.com,total cost $608.99 for 2005 truck and it folds 3 times. Check it the site and see for yourself. I had mine two months ago and lovin it.

rgferolino :)
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I agree with rogerf. I have had my k-cover for about 3 months. It is very nice. Takes about an hour to put on initially. After that, it really only takes loosening two bolts and you can take it off. Weights about 25 lbs. Putting it back on, you just tighten the bolts back. It is fully lockable and it is a hard cover, so pretty safe. I would not call it water tight, but I have taken it though the car wash many times without much water leakage.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    It would only make sense for Nissan to offer a crew cab with a 6 ft. bed. Maybe for 07.
  • gt845i4ugt845i4u Member Posts: 3
    I felt in love with the canteen (greenish gray) on the 05 model. I've checked most of dealer around Tampa but no luck. Any sugguestion? I want an 05 CC LE.
  • bottomoutbottomout Member Posts: 3
    I have a thunk also. I have had numerous 4x4's over the years (including an 84 Nissan, excellent truck) and this is not what I know to be "normal" I'm really curious to know if anyone else has this particular noise. When in 4x4 low, put the truck in a bind on relatively firm ground. (yes I now about "don't put it in a bind but there are those times.......) the truck will start to feel the bind and then a very distinct, loud, pop or bang, thunk, what ever happens and the bind eases up. Nothing breaks. Traction is excellent. Has happened 5 times so far. (I do a lot of hunting around Mt. St. Helens and it is a little tough sometimes) After reviewing the owners manual, I see reference to a transfer case clutch. I hate dealers working on anything but I did call 3 in my area. None of them has had any complaints on this thunk. But none of them knows about the transfer case clutch either. Anyone have ideas before I take it to the dealer for an evaluation ?
  • gt845i4ugt845i4u Member Posts: 3
    Do you mind sharing info about your dealer. I'm looking for an 05 the way I want but there are none in southeast region. Please give me thier contact info.

Tanapat
  • bottomoutbottomout Member Posts: 3
    I have a thunk, clunk, bang, whatever in the power train when I place it in a bind, like when 4 wheeling on hard dirt up a very steep hill, or out in the grass in my yard. It starts to bind, then very distinctly lets loose a loud bang, or thunk from the power train and the bind eases up. I have had 4 x 4 's for years and never had anything other than lots of tire scooting on the ground when on harder dirt or gravel. 3 dealers have never heard of this problem. Anyone have ideas before I take it to a dealer for evaluation? (I hate to have them touch the truck!) This is an automatic, KC, no locking diff, or traction control. Also see message 1442. (I just joined and didn't where to ask this question) Nothing breaks and traction remains excellent.