Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• rogerfrogerf Member Posts: 8
    Yap, thats right tranny fluid actuator. I also mention to the technician that others said it is the ABS actuator. However since they replace the electrical module harness, the THUNK is noticiably quiter and you can hardly noticed it, could it the faulty grounding on that bad harness that they have replace? I keep you guys posted.

rogerf :surprise:
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
  • bazprobazpro Member Posts: 2
    hi all. just bought my 05 SE CC 4x4. I couldn't be happier with it. It didn't come with a tow hitch. I saw I can get one on courtesyparts.com for $166. My question is about the wiring, I didn't see anything about it coming with it. I'm kinda clueless about it. Anyone know what connection it needs or even a part #? Thanks for any help.
  • sc_stevesc_steve Member Posts: 3
    Greetings Bazpro,

I installed the hitch and wiring harness on my 05 LE CC. It's a breeze. If I remember correctly, there's a total of 6 bolts to attach the receiver (get your self a 6" socket extension to make things a little easier and some lock-tite). There's a pre-wired plug on the frame to connect the receiver harness to, and an extra bundle of wires to install up in the cab in the space behind the kick-plate on the passenger side. I forget the part number, but you can buy it from Lee Auto Parts (http://www.leeparts.com/ I don't work for them or have any connection except as a satisfied customer, Do check everywhere for the best price.) There were directions in the box when I got mine. There's no soldering, taping, or wire-nuts to mess around with, just "plug and play."
  • bazprobazpro Member Posts: 2
    Thanks sc_steve. That's what I wanted to hear.
  • canadianguy1canadianguy1 Member Posts: 22
    Hey everyone, I know I'm probably obsessed with this clunk noise, but I had to find out what it was....It's probably my mistrust of dealerships...sorry anyone out there who works at a dealership.. Anyways, after reading some other forums I came across a post referring to the owners's manual..about the ABS clunk....

"The anti-lock brake system does not operate at
    speeds below 3 - 6 MPH (5 - 10 km/h). (The
    speeds vary according to road conditions.) Self-test feature
    The anti-lock brake system consists of electronic
    sensors and hydraulic solenoids controlled by a
    computer. The computer has a built-in diagnostic
    feature that tests the system each time you start
    the engine and move the vehicle at a low speed in
    forward or reverse. When the self-test occurs,
    you may hear a ‘‘clunk’’ noise and/or feel a pulsation
    in the brake pedal. This is normal and is not
    an indication of any malfunction. If the computer
    senses any malfunction, it switches the anti-lock
    brake system off and turns on the ABS brake
    warning light on the instrument panel. The brake
    system then operates normally, but without antilock
    assistance.
    If the light comes on during the self-test or while
    driving, take the vehicle to a NISSAN dealer for
    repair. "
    Taken from Page 5-29 of the owner's manual.
  • waterman1waterman1 Member Posts: 21
    Just wanted to throw this out about the tires(grabber aw)
    1 - I have had my truck in some serious mud in the past 2 weeks(WV hunting season)and this thing goes like a tank there is a very steep hill on our hunting club and it's mostly clay. and this truck and 1 jeep made it up every day. everyone else walked or road ATV's.I loved every minute of it.
    2 - you have to be very careful on wet roads. you do not want to go into or out of turns very hard or the rear wheels will break traction. my guess would be the HP causing this. i haven't had any other problems with the tires. This truck put's all other mid size trucks to shame. it's like having an ATV that is street legal. I now have 10,000 miles on mine and have no problems at all. Except a deer ran into the side of me at about 60 mph $1,400 worth of damage. Paint is really thin on this truck!!!!!!!
  • waterman1waterman1 Member Posts: 21
    get the wiring kit from nissan. it's easy to install and when i did mine no one else had the wiring kits for the 05 nissan
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    If I buy a 2006 Frontier CC SE 6-Speed, Nissan doesn't provide the option of the nifty compass/temperature/autodim mirror. Does anyone know if existing power supply wiring is in place in the SE CC header panel? (Wiring for the fog lights is in place on the SE CC, even though ya can't get fog lights on it.) Thanks.
  • enguyenenguyen Member Posts: 2
    i have the local stereo shop installed a gentex genk50 autodimming, compass, temp, homelink mirror in my 05 cc 6sp for $65. everything works just fine. just follow the installation instructions.
    Gee, at $65 it's hardly worth the aggravation of trying to do it myself. Thanks for the reply!
  • greg28greg28 Member Posts: 1
    ABS may be great in concept, but I have yet to see any vehicle that it operates smoothly in. (no shake / rattle /noise)If you are like me, you hate ABS and wish you could buy a decent truck without it. I love my new 05 Nissan Frontier, except for one feature....you guessed it...the freaking ABS. When I had a Toyota, all you had to do was pull the ABS fuses, and the ABS would not function, but the brakes would operate fine. Does anyone know what you have to do on the '05 Frontier to get rid of the ABS safely, without disrupting other functions ? (I can pull the ABS dash lamp later...) Thanks in advance!
  • vortec710vortec710 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 06 Frontier on order, saw your message on the gentex mirror and would like to clarify a point with you, did you buy and have this mirror installed for $65, or just installed for $65 ? Is there a BEST place to buy these things as the list prices are quite pricey...have seen them on eBay but always a question of what you might or might not get..ie correct mounting brackets, sensors, wiring, etc..would appreciate any help or suggestions you might offer, thank you...lance
  • vortec710vortec710 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for input on purchasing steel wheels for snow tires for a 2006 2-wheel drive
    Frontier, current factory wheels are supposed to be 16" x 7" 5-spoke alloys, would like to use a taller, narrower (75 or 78 series tire) of the same circumference as the original 265/70-16 so as not to mess up the speedometer and computer (same revs/mile) but
    15 inch snows are a lot easier to find and less expensive than 16 or 17 inch stuff. Does anyone have any experience with finding what 15 inch steel wheels fit a 2 wheel drive 2006 frontier, clear the calipers and are 6-7 inchs wide, will consider alloys if I can find them priced right. Are wheels for 2005-6 Frontier the same for 2 wheel drive as 4 wheel drive or do they have different off-sets? Would also like to know specs on plain steel lug nuts for same..all valid comments appreciated
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    has anyone had trouble with the crappy tires Genral tiers on the Nissans yet,think they're crap!
  • man308man308 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my new nissan frontier. Drove a 97 nissan hardbody for 8 years. love the new design and power.
    I like the trip computer offered on the le. Does anyone know if you can get the trip computer installed on a se?
    Also where is a good place to shop for frontier accessories.
  • sc_stevesc_steve Member Posts: 3
    Greetings all,

I've had my 05' 2WD CC LE for about a year now (love it!) but worry a little about traction in the coming bad weather. Is there any way to add the ABLS (active breaking limited slip) to the truck now? Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    If he got the mirror and installation for $65 it must have been stolen ;) My best guess is that he had the unit and paid $65 for the installation. If you want to see my review and article about installing this mirror, check out my site:
    http://www.reverendbiker.com/frontier/mirror.htm
  • jasong2jasong2 Member Posts: 18
    I bought my 05 Frontier Crew Cab in 1/2005. In the past week (22K+ miles later), I have started noticing a hesitation in the driver's side window going down when I press the button. Yesterday, I tried putting the driver's rear window down and up. It goes down, but does not always go up. I have to press the button several times. Sometimes it goes up only after pressing the window lock button on and off several times. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Jason
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I asked Edmunds why if the Frontier was rated as the winner of the "tough truck test", was the Takoma still their Most Wanted in the small/mid-size pickup class? When they did the initial test, the overall rating for the Tacoma was 8.3 while the Frontier got 8.2. Yet, the Frontier was the clear winner in the tough truck test. Here is their response.

Thanks for your question. The Frontier beat the Tacoma to win our 2005 Tough Truck Shootout, but the Tacoma topped the Frontier to take the crown in our 2005 Midsize Truck Comparison Test.

What's the difference between these two tests? Well, the Midsize Truck Comparison was designed to single out the pickups best suited for the average consumer. The Tough Truck Shootout was designed to select the truck best suited for a consumer with a more extreme set of needs. As we mentioned in its introduction, the Shootout wasn't concerned with "calculating price points and comparing features lists;" instead, the aim of this test was to "see how these trucks tow up hills, run on the sand and race over washboard fire roads."

The Frontier won top prize in the Shootout on the strength of its ruggedness. But overall, we think the Tacoma is a stronger choice for most consumers. This is why it won the Midsize Truck Comparison, and why it was our pick for 2006 Editors' Most Wanted.

Warren Clarke
    Content Editor
    Edmunds.com

Still quite glad I got the Frontier. I do push the limits off-road and it's done well so far.
    Snow will be its next test and we may get enough to test it this coming weekend.

81 Trekker
  • symbologysymbology Member Posts: 3
    Hmmm,

"The Frontier won top prize in the Shootout on the strength of its ruggedness. But overall, we think the Tacoma is a stronger choice for most consumers. This is why it won the Midsize Truck Comparison, and why it was our pick for 2006 Editors' Most Wanted."

They also said it was the best truck for the way home. What ever....

I just picked up an '05 SE KC and I love it.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I still don't understand why the Tacoma ( according to Warren Clarke ) gets the nod for being a "stronger" choice for the average consumer. Why is it a stronger choice???
    I have nothing against the Tacoma, but the non explanation makes no sense to me.
  • servinhimonlyservinhimonly Member Posts: 2
    Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have had my 05 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4x4 since August. I love this truck. I test drove the Tacomo before buying the Frontier and loved the Frontier more!!!

I am trying to find the Intake Air Temperature sensor to install a performance module from The Juice Box Company. I can't find the IAT sensor. If you know where it is please take a good picture for me and email it to me! The picture below was taken by my phone and sent to my vtext.com account.

Also please give me your opinion on installing this module as well as where I can get a performance module specifically made for my awesome truck!
  • mir0mir0 Member Posts: 15
    Just wondering what peoples experiences have been with these folding hard covers.
    Specifically want to know if either of these needed holes drilled for installation, and if either can be installed while keeping the trac system.
    Any other suggestions would be welcome, but I would want to get a folding hard cover.

Thanks
    Please don't buy this piece of junk. Like most of the scam "performance modules" sold on eBay, it's essentially a $0.99 resistor that's placed inline with the IAT to fool your ecu into thinking that you're in cold-start mode and makes the fuel mixture richer--not a good long-term thing.
    Unlike some other manufacturers, Nissan hasn't given aftermarket tuners access to its ECU code so you won't find any performance chips or handheld tuners like the Hypertech available for the Frontier. Jet advertises that they will re-flash your ecu, but they're the only company I've seen that is doing so and I don't trust them until I've seen some dyno numbers. If you're going to do some performance work on your new Fronty you're pretty well limited to intake/exhaust tweaks; that's not all bad--with an exhaust and CAI my truck has dyno'd at over 235 rear wheel horsepower--almost 300 at the crank--on 87-octane fuel. Not bad for a normally aspirated V-6. For more info, see my Frontier web site.
    jack <><
    http://www.reverendbiker.com/frontier/frontier.htm
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I have a K-cover. I really like it. No drilling, trac system works fine. Very well done. I would definitely recommend to anyone. Takes about 1-2 hours initially to put on (I did it by myself), once you are done, takes loosening two bolts and it comes off/goes back on. I have found it too be very useful (plus it is locking and a hard cover). Fairly weather tight, I wouldn't put anything under it that couldn't possibly get wet, but pretty decent.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    I have the Fold-A-Cover and you will have to drill 3 small holes on either side in the side
    rail to mount the rear latches. I am not sure
    how you would be able to lock a hard tonneau if
    you did not have latches in the rear.

If the latches were not attached with screws
    I am not sure how secure it would be.

I like my Fold-A-Cover very well and no prob-
    lems with it so far. it is not waterproof, but
    I do not get very much water in the bed when I wash it.

OkieScot
  • servinhimonlyservinhimonly Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice! I don't know too much about cheap modules or how module companies can fool you so I really appreciate it! It's too bad that I already did buy it but it is returnable and I'm gonna inquire of them about what its secrets are.

I went to your site and found that you installed a Gibson Catback system! It sounds awesome! I just ordered a Banks Power Catback system for my truck and should be getting it in by the 20th of this month. God bless!
    If you're looking for a high quality exhaust setup you've done well with the Banks system. They build a top-quality system. Have a blessed Christmas...
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    With the K-cover, you tighten the screws/clamps and an L shaped piece of metal to the edge of the box. You could drill it if you wanted to, but I haven't notice anything becoming loose and I have done some offroading. The latch goes under this L piece (both in the front and in the back). Has locks in front and back.
  • flaman1flaman1 Member Posts: 4
    2005lekc,

Could you post a picture of your cover, by any chance...
    Also, did you install it yourself or had it installed?
    If you bought it on the web, would you be so kind to give the merchant address and cost...

Thanks in advance!
    flamanl,

The only picture I have of my Fold-A-Cover is at www.picturetrail.com/okiescot. It is not a
    close up and does not show the interior nor at-
    taching points.

I purchased it from a local dealer and they installed it. You might be able to get a bet-
    ter picture of the cover at www.foldacover.com.

Sorry I could not help you more. Maybe one of these days I'll learn how to use the internet.
    I do have a digital camera just not the smarts to get it on the internet.

I think it is something about not being able to teach old dogs new tricks.

OkieScot
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If you're talking about crew cabs, the Tacoma has a more comfortable rear seat.

Bob
    Does the new Frontier V6 require premium? I believe the Tacoma V6 requires premium.

Bob
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Nope it runs like a Champ on Regular 87 No Problem and I'm getting 25mpgs on long trips and around 20-21 city and Highway,I have the Le CC 4Wd. Kicks some A.. ,big time.great sounding muffler too. :)
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    "If you're talking about crew cabs, the Tacoma has a more comfortable rear seat.

Bob"

I'm 6-1. With the driver's seat set where I am comfortable, I don't fit in the rear seat of the Tacoma, but I do in the Frontier, though still not as comfortable as in a larger truck. The limiting factor was real-world leg room. Fortunately, most of the time I use the rear seat for storage. In that respect, the rear seat of the Frontier is easier to stow and has more folding options than the Tacoma, which requires a multi-step process and removing the headrests to stow.

Dan
    Dan

I've sat in both the rear seat of the new Tacoma and Frontier. I'm 5'9" and found the shape/angle of the Tacoma's rear seat to be the more comfortable of the two. It just fit me better. IIRC, the Frontier's rear seat backrest was a bit more upright. It felt more like a church pew.

Bob
  • eyelleyell Member Posts: 3
    has anyone had a problem with the front brakes squeaking?
  • frontier_man1frontier_man1 Member Posts: 1
    Here is another Nissan Frontier only site:

http://www.pcoverhaul.net/frontier
  • flaman1flaman1 Member Posts: 4
    jflash,

Thanks a lot for sharing very useful information on the modifications you made with the rest of us here!
    I'm thinking about installing the aFe system (not sure about the Gibson exhaust yet) and I wonder in doing so would it effectively void the manufacter's warranty if something happens (God forbid) to the engine...?

Happy Holidays!

flaman
    This new site is just starting, but I think it is going to be nice once it gets up and running.

OkieScot
    Adding aftermarket performance goodies always raises the question about warranty coverage. The Magnusson-Moss Act prohibits a manufacturer from denying warranty coverage simply because aftermarket parts were used. If the manufacturer determines that the aftermarket part is in some way responsible for the mechanical problem, it absolutely CAN void the warranty. And many performance parts certainly could be blamed for future mechanical problems. If you installed the aFe intake and experienced problems afterward, your dealer could refuse warranty coverage if he believed that the new intake was the cause of the problem.I've never experienced any problems with relatively mild mods such as intakes and exhaust, but if you bolt on a supercharger you're more apt to have problems with the dealer.
    If you want to assure yourself of complete, no-questions-asked warranty coverage, keep your vehicle completely stock and use only OEM parts during the warranty period. I prefer to keep the mods simple and count on the goodwill of my dealer's service rep, who is a pretty good guy.
    It's hard enough getting a quality fix on warranty issues even on stock vehicles, so I figure why give the dealer or manufacturer an even easier way to deny a repair by adding mods? Plus, I'd rather verify that I bought a good vehicle that I want to own for many years before I start throwing money into mods. For me, I think it pays to leave things alone for a while and simply enjoy things as they are.
    "For me, I think it pays to leave things alone for a while and simply enjoy things as they are."
    What you say makes good sense; unfortunately, I don't have good sense. At age 8 I helped my Dad make a go-cart with a lawnmower engine, and when he turned me loose with it I made my first mod--removing the throttle governor. Maybe it's just a sickness, but I just can't leave any motorized vehicle in its stock condition. I've bolted superchargers to two past vehicles and promptly fried the transmissions on both; not to worry--it just gave me an excuse to modify the trannies. Lord help me.
  • gwp3gwp3 Member Posts: 3
    I hate to post this message, but I'm fed up. Ijust picked my '05 Extended Cab 4wd from the dealer after getting warranty work done. The small stuff first--the gas door spring clip. This was the third time it has been "fixed"--2 times by the dealer and 1 time by me. They put a new one on this time-I got in and drove around the corner and the gas door swung open. The main reason I had the truck in was for brake work. It has 25,000 mostly highway miles. At around 18,000, the brakes were squealing so bad that I took it in to get it looked at. The dealer said that the pads had "broke up" and he replaced them and turned the rotor. At around the 24,000, the brakes were squealing incessantly again. Also, at low speeds, there is a constant squeak that sounds like something in the suspension. This time, they replaced the rotors and sanded the pads. They also ordered and replaced bushings for the front struts as they said that they had gone bad. The dealer said they drove it and everything was fixed, I even got a courtesy wash. I pick the truck up tonight and guess what--the brakes squeal going in reverse,(that's the way it always starts), the suspension squeak is as bad as ever, the gas door is broke again, and to add insult to injury, they knocked a chunk of paint out of the fender near the gas door. I didn't even complain about the constant rattling in the dash when the heater/ac fan is on......I have a combination of a pretty inept service department and (in my opinion) a pretty poor product from the factory. My Silverado 2500 had 190,000 miles on it and I never did anything other than routine maintenance and tires.....I am really disappointed because I still like the frontier---at least in the brochure.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    It makes you seriously think about the reliability of the reliability stats doesn't it? My Step-Dad has a late model pickup that is supposed to be notoriously troublesome and he assures me that it has been completely trouble free.
    Regardless, hang in there. New model years are known for having bugs and yours will work themselves out.
  • mir0mir0 Member Posts: 15
    Oki, your truck looks great in those pics.
    Would you mind letting me know the manufacturer of your nerf bars, and how you like them? I have looked around my area a bit, but the ones I have seem seem a little thin.
    Also, where did you get your exhaust?
  • alien1alien1 Member Posts: 2
    CAN SOMEBODY TELLS ME ABOUT THIS TRUCK?
    HOW GOOD IT IS?
    HOW MUCH SHOULD I PAY? (I'M NOT ASKING FOR OPTIONS)
    I REALLY LIKE THE STYLE, I TESTED DRIVE ONE AND I AM ABOUT TO BUY ME ONE.
    ANY ADVISE WILL BE APPRECIATED :confuse:
    Thank you for the kind words. I got the Manik
    polished stainless steel nerf bars. I got them
    from 4 Wheel Parts in Oklahoma City. you can
    go to www.manik.com to get more information.

If you look at the exhaust pictures of my truck you can see the mounting brackets. The bracket that is welded to the tube was not polished from Manik. I had that done as well as buying ss bolts and nuts and having them polished too.

I have had the Maniks for about 3 months and so far I really do like them, no problems.

The exhaust was installed by Kinney's muffler Shop in Bedford, Texas. You can see more at:
    www.kinneysmufflershop.com. I have the 22" Flo-Pro dual in dual out muffler and had a pair of 12" resonators installed in front of the muffler. The resonators cut out the raspiness. It gives a nice mellow tone up to
    1900 rpm and then it starts getting a little loud, not as bad as the 40 series Flowmaster.

I can cruise on the road up to 73/74 mph before
    you hear more than a nice soft almost V-8 sound. That is about as fast as I ever drive anyway.

OkieScot
  • svslarrysvslarry Member Posts: 12
    Just wondering if anybody else that lives in the colder parts of the country is disappointed w/ the heater performance of their '05 Frontier. It seems to take a long time to warm up & even blows cold air for about 5 minutes after the temp gauge has stopped going up. Also seems to have very little air flow to my feet in the heater mode. My dealer tells me everything is ok, no problem found.