Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• canadianguy1canadianguy1 Member Posts: 22
    I have the TRI-Fecta (model #44985), I am very happy with. Good Luck with yours.
  • millarmillar Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the recommendation. Does yours work with the utilitrack in place? If so, are there different models for use with/without the utilitrak?
  • snedecorsnedecor Member Posts: 3
    OK I bit, after reading everything I could on the Frontier, I'm in.

2006 KC, XE, Power, Red Brawn.

I'm looking to spruce it up a little. Anyone installed any aftermarket CD changers? Can the stock OEM radio control a changer?

Thanks!

Gayle Snedecor
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    Welcome aboard Gayle!

This Frontier owner has a great web site. Click on the Blaupunkt Receiver/MP3 Player link under his "modifications" list and have a look a what he did.

My Frontie came with the factory six CD changer unit, and I'm very happy with the sound and controls.

http://www.reverendbiker.com/frontier/frontier.htm

Did you get the automatic or stick XE?
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Just got it put on today,I love the way it looks and how it will save me gas+ it really dosen't interfer with the track system 2much either I notied ,witch is a good thing.
    So anyone thinking about this modle ,well its worth it,I will take a pic of my truck when it stops raining so you all can see it unless CanadianGuy beats me to it.Candian guy witch truck did you buy,and also are you lakes frozen up their by you,need to know since I want to come up chex out my cabin and my be fish I havent talked to any of my friends up in Canada latley so any info would be great.

Thanks,
    Brad NJ<USA :)
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 39
    I must be a horses [non-permissible content removed]! I got my truck back from the dealer and they ended up adjusting the hood latch and my squeek is gone.
    They could hear the squeek in the tank but all the did was adjust the latch. Go figure!
    But my squeek is gone!
  • canadianguy1canadianguy1 Member Posts: 22
    Yep in installs above the util-trak. Just four clamps. Not sure about other models.
  • drumbobdrumbob Member Posts: 4
    Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I had the same squeak back in Feb when I got my truck. Took it in and they put a dab of grease on the hood stops and the squeak was gone. Has not returned.
    Thanks for the response. I ordered my Trifecta yesterday. Looking forward to receiving it.
  • homer371homer371 Member Posts: 3
    I was all set to buy a 2006 CC Frontier for a dirt bike hauler until the issue of tailgate strength came up. The bed is short enough that the rear tires would rest about 6 inches from the end of the tailgate. With two bikes that could be up to 300 lbs. I need to hear from anyone who had hauled motorcycles in the CC shortbed. Did the tailgate bend?

I have stood on the tailgate at the dealers lot and I weigh 245 lbs and everything seemed ok. However I read a post on a toyota board describing how someone's brother's 05 CC tailgate bent from hauling just one bike. Supposedly the dealer replaced the tailgate under warranty.
    I was all set to buy a 2006 CC Frontier for a dirt bike hauler until the issue of tailgate strength came up. The bed is short enough that the rear tires would rest about 6 inches from the end of the tailgate. With two bikes that could be up to 300 lbs. I need to hear from anyone who had hauled motorcycles in the CC shortbed. Did the tailgate bend?

I have stood on the tailgate at the dealers lot and I weigh 245 lbs and everything seemed ok. However I read a post on a toyota board describing how someone's brother's 05 CC tailgate bent from hauling just one bike. Supposedly the dealer replaced the tailgate under warranty.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I hope all the Nissan Frontier owners/supporters/shoppers will check out the new forum which compares it to other midsize trucks, including the Toyota Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline, Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, and Dodge Dakota. It should be interesting to watch, so come check it out. You can find the link on your Nissan Frontier forum page.

Thanks!

thegrad

• bsmjembsmjem Member Posts: 1
    On my 2005 se short bed, where the driver side of box/bed meets and has a weld point to the upper front end of the portion of box,the weld point has failed. The front end of the box/bed on driver side has now detached from the driver side fender/bed and I can "move" the front driver top side, end of the box partion toward the cab, and exposing the failed weld. all else is intact. Brought it into my dealer who said that this is very uncommon and he never had this problem come in in the past.He must contact NISSAN corprate for autherazation to repair weld. Can this be done? Since this one weld point is broke, there must be additional stress's put on the remaining weld points of the bed and I am afraid that they too will become compromised due to extra strain. The dealer said after the autherization, it will be about 3 weeks before it can be put in the bodyshop, due to demand. I have 17,254 highway miles on it, NEVER put anything other than a 10 speed bike in the bed. I was asked if I drove with the tailgate down without the optional tailgate cage asembly in place. I told them that I did not drive with the tailgate down(why would one do this anyway)and that I did'nt opt for that tailgate acsessory. Any thoughts or experience's that anyone has had in relation to this kind of weld failure would be appriciated!
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Can you give a little more info on where to find the forum comparison site you mentioned? Thanks.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    Click on the back arrow and go down one thread and you will find it right here on this forum.
    You may have to look in a different place if you read this much later as the threads are constantly changing places.

OkieScot
    same as with the Trifold
  • jacob68jacob68 Member Posts: 3
    Do you have a picture of your tonneau.
  • temo1temo1 Member Posts: 3
    Well, my dads fronty has been in the shop 4 times, with the same squeeky problem, now we will ask the dealer to check the hood. The squeeky noise is heard from the front left driver side, tire area. Give us luck; by the way, i took my 05 nismo today on some nasty dirt trails, and loved the power.
  • sskarmarsskarmar Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone been able to get a sliding tool box from Nissan? I have one or order, but the dealer says he has no idea when they will receive one because the demand is so high and Nissand did not make enough.
  • nismo4menismo4me Member Posts: 15
    I have had a Lorado cover for about 6 mos.I installed it myself in about an hour without any problem.It is very watertight for what it is.The tailgate is what leaks!

Overall good design,I am very happy with it.And I go in and out of it many times daily.
    Jay
    Thanks Jay. It turns out that I already purchased and installed an Extang Trifecta Trifold cover. So far I'm very happy with it. It comes fully assembled and comes with the adaptor brackets needed for it to work around the utilitrack. It was very simple to install, and has not leaked in the rain or snow (yet). I'd recommend it as well.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Regarding the Extang Trifecta Trifold, I have a few questions:

* Is it Utili-Trak Bed Extender compatible? Too many covers have a wide frame that interferes with the Bed Extender's rotation.

* Is the cover easy to completely remove? It'd be in the way loading firewood, furniture, etc. where the whole bed is needed.

Thanks.
  • cnctechcnctech Member Posts: 2
    I'm curious as to how many 05' and newer Frontier owners out there are experiencing excessive paint chipping on the forward portion of the rear wheel flares from the gas cap door down on either side of truck. I have 22K on my 05'CC and this is the only complaint I have about this truck. I'm not talking about just a few rock chips either, the finish is literally being blasted off, there is NO paint left on the bottom section and it is begining to rust.
    I've taken it to four dealers, three of which (Jaremko Nissan of Spokane, WA., Royal Moore Nissan of Portland, OR. & Midway Nissan of Post Falls, ID.)say it's terrible and due to the design of the truck (the way the body flares out around the wheels) they also say the splash guards are inadequate and/ or running boards should be standard to block rocks from flying up off front tires. The service manager of Wendle Nissan of Spokane, WA. first told me that "it's the design of the truck" and that he see's this a lot on this new body style. When I told him I wanted it fixed he then said "it's an environmental issue and that Nissan would not fix it". I explained that I have owned several vehicles in this environment and none have had this problem including my 92'King Cab SE-V6 4x4 W/300K on it, how can you say it's environmental? His response was "it's really due to the design!"
    So I went through the consumer affairs process and they finally got back to me with, Nissan can't warrany it because "it's environmental" I wonder where they got that!
    I returned to Wendle Nissan and asked the service manager why he neglected to tell consumer affairs what he told me. He was very rude and refused to discuss it. :mad:
    Nissan consumer affairs did however tell me that if I got other dealers to look at it and attribute it to the design that they would fix it. The other dealers have made such reports and believe Nissan should make repairs. I'm still waiting to hear back from them, they are very slow and not good at returning phone calls.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    Mine started doing that last winter. I have heard that new "environmentally-friendly" paints are thinner and weaker, though I don't know if that is true.
    Shortly after I noticed it I bought some 3m "clear bra" material and put it on the rocker panels, the headlights, and the area you described. That seems to be working well.
    I also put on a bug deflector.
    If you get it repainted, you may want to apply this stuff.
    Otherwise, if you just want good protection, buy herculiner and put it on that area. That stuff is fairly tough if you put it on right.
    Good luck.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I have a 05 Nismo Crew Cab and have the paint chip problem on the doors and side panels. It's not as bad in the winter as the gravel roads are not as dry. The only way I could see solving it was to put fender flares on it. None made for the Frontier but found some generic ones at JC Whitney. Until I convince the family CFO that they are worth it, I just drive slower (around 20 mph) on gravel roads. We happen to live on one and have one about 2 miles long to get to our cabin in the VA mts. I also spend a lot of time on Forest Service roads. On the dirt ones it is less of a problem than on the gravel ones. Needless to say, I'd like to get the problem solved.

I agree that its a design problem and running boards would help. Have them on the 04 Armada and 98 4Runner. Never a problem with either. Also, has to do with way they designed the fenders. I can't imagine that Nissan didn't realize this when they were testing it. Probably decided they were too far along and consumers could just "eat it". -81 Trekker
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I am in California where we don't have the gravel problem with bad weather, but I don't have much of any chips in the paint (except on the hood from the cars in front of me). I have an LE with nerf bars, maybe this helps? I am at 24,000 miles and have done a lot of highway driving and not enough offroad driving, but the paint looks near perfect.
  • 8ball8ball Member Posts: 3
    had the same problem on my 05 Frontier. The rubber hood stops on both side of the hood at the front rub against the metal frame, but they are adjustable, so you can screw them in or out easily until the noise stops or as drumbob says throw a dab of grease on em cause wd40 or silicon spray just wears off quickly.
    I don't kow if it is compatible with with the bed extender, but the Trifold does not have a frame. It removably claims directly onto the bed, making it simple to install and remove.
  • cnctechcnctech Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I believe the nerf bars are probably a huge help. I bought my truck in August so there wasn't much in the way of sand / gravel on the roads. I am a field service technician, servicing machining & manufacturing equipment.
    99.9 percent of the driving I do is on highways. The first week I owned the truck I drove from Spokane, WA to Seattle and back. When I got home and washed my truck I imediately noticed the chipping problem. I contacted the dealers and nissan and have been jerked around since.
  • rutzmanrutzman Member Posts: 9
    any one know about a lift kit for the '05 Frontier 4x4, I've seen Performance Parts do a 2" leveling kit , alum. spacers in the front and spacers under the leaves in the rear. I'm looking for 2" shackles instead for the rear.. The leveling kit seems fine, but would rather see shackles on my truck ind=stead of spacers for the rear..

I bought the truck in July'05, aqnd have 15,ooo miles on it, its awesome, on road amazing, crusing at 90+ mph @2,300 rpm in 6th gear, off road I went to do the first oil change at 3000miles and notices a dented oil pan, wtf!, so the clearance suck! no doubt. Thats why I'm searching for a 2-2.5" leveling kit. My old '92 Nissan Harbody 4x4 with 230,000 miles had twice the clearance, STOCK! Go figure.

About paint chipping, count me in, my hood has a few dings, one about a 1/4' in diameter, right through the paint and primer, started to rust a few day after I noticed it.

Some one hit me back about the leveling kit thing-
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I've been doing off-road driving for 25 years and have always insisted on having skidplates to protect the oil pan and other critical areas. Otherwise, it's simply too risky. I even had skid plates put on our 04 Armada which I seldom take off road. It's a little too big for some of the places I go.
    One of the reasons I got the NISMO is that is came with the traction package and skid plates on all critical area.

Be careful with lift kits on the Frontier. It does not have a long history of modifications as it predecessors did.
    I know of one guy who installed a lift kit, larger tires,
    and had all kinds of problems.

81 Trekker
  • nismo4menismo4me Member Posts: 15
    I have a levelling kit/lift on my Nismo 4x4...It is ok love the looks,but off road suffers from travel issues(downward)Loud botttoming...hope to get new control arms to remedy this....there are some in the works.

If Nissan would make the Nismo off road packeage sit 3 inches higher than the others ,it would be perfect. :D
  • bedcoverbedcover Member Posts: 1
    The cover you are refering to is a made In Binghamton NY. You can reach them @ 1-800-840-9128. They make covers in either snap or velcro and have a choice of ten colors. They also have a diamond plate material to match my toolbox.
    stay aWAY FROM SNAPA!!! WORST THING YOU CAN DO.
  • zackyzacky Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I'm really serious about getting a new Frontier. I really want leather, but the only model that has it is the LE, and I really don't like the way the rack looks on these trucks. Has anybody had success in installing leather on an SE?? If so, how much did it cost you?
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    I have a 2.5" lift from Greg at prerunners.com that I am very happy with.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Any good upholstery shop can do it after market. Nissan may have someone they deal with. My guess is around $1000 (I have checked when I was looking at the Taco). It depends on the quality of leather. Also, if you want seat warmers or not.
  • eyelleyell Member Posts: 3
    had truck in shop yesterday. Dealership said rotors glazed. Turned rotors and replaced pads. All this after only 10,000 miles. Makes me wonder.
    Rotor glazing is usually caused by several things.

Heavy braking that heat up the rotor and pads quickly, thus not letting moisture burn off.

Driving in areas where a lot road salt is used.

Pad and rotor materials mismatch, causing glazing on the pads because they aren't getting "rubbed" off as they wear.

Were your rotors heavily scored, or grooved? Could be the pad material is of a harder material then the rotor is designed to handle.

Just my .02
  • bperkbperk Member Posts: 38
    Hi all, Im in the market for a truck (Im a huge Nissan Fan, have had many Nissan's in the past and two right now)
    I am looking for advise, comments, FYI's on either the LE 4x4 CC or the NISMO CC. Is there one or many reasons why a person should pick one over the other? I love thelook on the NISMO,but I can't see myself dissapearing for the weekend to hit the trails, but man it looks real cool.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    I was looking at the Nismo KC when I bought my LE KC. I wanted the white truck with the blue interior and the Nismo was the only way I could get it. They could not find the Nismo in that color combination.

I do not get off the road so I really did not need the Nismo nor the 4X4 configuration.

After looking at the mpg of the Nismo vs the LE I am certainly glad that they did not find my Nismo. I would definitely get the LE again
    If I had it to do over because of the better mpg.

OkieScot
    I bought a Nismo KC 4x2 in January. Loved the look, the features for the price, the alloy wheels over those on the LE, and did not want some of the default items that come on the LE, most notably the side step rails.

My milage in my Nismo has been in the mid to high teens, mostly around town. Highway around 20, depending on if I'm pushing 80 or going around 65.

The Nismo has slightly stiffer ride, due to the shocks, but the added handling uptick makes it worth it.

I have the white exterior/charcoal interior with the auto tranny.

So far (at 1300 miles) I am delighted with my purchase decision.
  • rogerfrogerf Member Posts: 8
    Hello Readers,

I am in a market for a tow hitch package. Any sugestion as to where I could save a buck? I dont feel like going to a dealership just to get this tow hitch, there should be a cheaper place to order this package. Please drop me a buzz.

Regards,

Roger :confuse:
  • gwp3vagwp3va Member Posts: 1
    Yep,

My dealer said it was because I "feather" the brakes too much. I had it in first at 12,000 miles, and again at 26,000- miles. Turned the rotors the first time, new pads the second. That was when he told me to jam the brakes a litte harder to "burn off" glazing. Now, at 32,000, guess what, incessant squealing. Silverado 2500 never even had new brakes, (had them checked twice) and never squealed once--truck had 190,000 miles when I got rid of it. Something is wrong with Nissan brakes--be on the lookout for a bulletin!
  • ageezerageezer Member Posts: 7
    Hi Roger; I bought my class 3 hitch from eTrailer.com. It was $114.95 plus the freight, far cheaper than any other place that I could find. the hitch is a Valley, which I have owned several of over the years. Good hitches. You didn't state what make or year your vehicle is but I installed it on my '05 Frontier in 15 minutes (six bolts already in the frame). Hope this helps.
  • rogerfrogerf Member Posts: 8
    Hello ageezer,

Thank you very much for the valualable information and I will order it today for my 05 Nissan Frontier LE 2X4. Once again thank much and you have a nice day.

Regards,

Roger Ferolino :)
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    I have a 95 GMC Sonoma 4x4 4.3 TBI with 110,000. When I read/heard that GM was going to put a neutered I6 = I5 I did not even bother looking at their replacement for my 95 Sonoma. I concentrated my efforts on the Taco and Frontier. Frontier is my choice because this is what I wish GM would have built when they choose to replace the S10.
    If GM had announced that in 07, they would offer a V6 I might have waited. Unfortunately, the only upgrade they plan on doing is to make the I5 3.5 to 3.7, which will help but still not enough to sway me from buying a 06 or 07 Frontier.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    220HP and 225 lb ft torque is NOT neutered.
    Frontier has the best engine in the midsize/compact truck group, however, how many people actually need 265 hp?