Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• jjpeterjjpeter Posts: 230
    Rotor glazing is usually caused by several things.

Heavy braking that heat up the rotor and pads quickly, thus not letting moisture burn off.

Driving in areas where a lot road salt is used.

Pad and rotor materials mismatch, causing glazing on the pads because they aren't getting "rubbed" off as they wear.

Were your rotors heavily scored, or grooved? Could be the pad material is of a harder material then the rotor is designed to handle.

Just my .02
  • bperkbperk Posts: 38
    Hi all, Im in the market for a truck (Im a huge Nissan Fan, have had many Nissan's in the past and two right now)
    I am looking for advise, comments, FYI's on either the LE 4x4 CC or the NISMO CC. Is there one or many reasons why a person should pick one over the other? I love thelook on the NISMO,but I can't see myself dissapearing for the weekend to hit the trails, but man it looks real cool.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Posts: 145
    I was looking at the Nismo KC when I bought my LE KC. I wanted the white truck with the blue interior and the Nismo was the only way I could get it. They could not find the Nismo in that color combination.

I do not get off the road so I really did not need the Nismo nor the 4X4 configuration.

After looking at the mpg of the Nismo vs the LE I am certainly glad that they did not find my Nismo. I would definitely get the LE again
    If I had it to do over because of the better mpg.

OkieScot
  • jjpeterjjpeter Posts: 230
    I bought a Nismo KC 4x2 in January. Loved the look, the features for the price, the alloy wheels over those on the LE, and did not want some of the default items that come on the LE, most notably the side step rails.

My milage in my Nismo has been in the mid to high teens, mostly around town. Highway around 20, depending on if I'm pushing 80 or going around 65.

The Nismo has slightly stiffer ride, due to the shocks, but the added handling uptick makes it worth it.

I have the white exterior/charcoal interior with the auto tranny.

So far (at 1300 miles) I am delighted with my purchase decision.
  • rogerfrogerf Posts: 8
    Hello Readers,

I am in a market for a tow hitch package. Any sugestion as to where I could save a buck? I dont feel like going to a dealership just to get this tow hitch, there should be a cheaper place to order this package. Please drop me a buzz.

Regards,

Roger :confuse:
  • gwp3vagwp3va Posts: 1
    Yep,

My dealer said it was because I "feather" the brakes too much. I had it in first at 12,000 miles, and again at 26,000- miles. Turned the rotors the first time, new pads the second. That was when he told me to jam the brakes a litte harder to "burn off" glazing. Now, at 32,000, guess what, incessant squealing. Silverado 2500 never even had new brakes, (had them checked twice) and never squealed once--truck had 190,000 miles when I got rid of it. Something is wrong with Nissan brakes--be on the lookout for a bulletin!
  • ageezerageezer Posts: 7
    Hi Roger; I bought my class 3 hitch from eTrailer.com. It was $114.95 plus the freight, far cheaper than any other place that I could find. the hitch is a Valley, which I have owned several of over the years. Good hitches. You didn't state what make or year your vehicle is but I installed it on my '05 Frontier in 15 minutes (six bolts already in the frame). Hope this helps.
  • rogerfrogerf Posts: 8
    Hello ageezer,

Thank you very much for the valualable information and I will order it today for my 05 Nissan Frontier LE 2X4. Once again thank much and you have a nice day.

Regards,

Roger Ferolino :)
  • I have a 95 GMC Sonoma 4x4 4.3 TBI with 110,000. When I read/heard that GM was going to put a neutered I6 = I5 I did not even bother looking at their replacement for my 95 Sonoma. I concentrated my efforts on the Taco and Frontier. Frontier is my choice because this is what I wish GM would have built when they choose to replace the S10.
    If GM had announced that in 07, they would offer a V6 I might have waited. Unfortunately, the only upgrade they plan on doing is to make the I5 3.5 to 3.7, which will help but still not enough to sway me from buying a 06 or 07 Frontier.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,870
    220HP and 225 lb ft torque is NOT neutered.
    Frontier has the best engine in the midsize/compact truck group, however, how many people actually need 265 hp?
    Would like to hear comments on the stereo in SE Crew from anyone who owns one?
  • It is Neutered if you actually do any real "truck" work with it. I had a 1996 4X4 S-10 with the 4.3L v-6. There were times when pulling bushes, or moving landscape timbers required 4W-Low. There were several times the load snuffed it out in 4W-High. I now have a 2000 F-150 4X4 with 5.4L V-8, much better power wise, and about the same (+/-2mpg)on gas mileage. Still, even with 350 lb-ft available from the 5.4L, there are times I still need 4W-Low to get things done.

The biggest problem with the 3.5L I-5 is the quoted 220HP & 225 lb-ft occur at unusable rpm ranges. When is the last time anyone ever turned 5600 rpm pulling a trailer down the road, or turned 4000 rpm pulling a stump out? Looking at the torque curve is even more depressing. It manages a scrawny 200 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm. Figure in power train losses and you will be lucky to get 150 lb-ft to the ground. That is simply not enough for anyone who actually uses their truck to perform any kind of work.
    I use a 39 hp tractor and a 3/4 ton pickup for similar type of "work" that you use a midsize/compact truck for.
  • driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    I agree, but how many people actually "need" 220 h.p.?
    The Nissan VQ is world class (considered by some as perhaps the best engine ever) and has a lot of history behind it. That's gotta thrill you!
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 501
    Sorry for the length of this post, but I am irritated. I've been playing around on the "build your Frontier" part of the Nissan website and I am looking for a crew cab 4x4.

I can almost convince myself to get a 6 speed SE and save some money. I would get the side air bags, but I hate the thought of getting another truck without stability control. It stinks that Nissan is witholding a great safety feature to force someone to buy a more expensive vehicle.

Then I look at the Nismo. Whenever I price one, it comes out to several thousand dollars more than an SE. I do like the look of the Nismo and some of the features (skid plates, locking differential etc.) are kind of cool. But, it irritates me that I cannot get a stick shift and that the only interior colors are a drab dark grey or blue.

So then I figure if I am going to end up with a sticker over $30k, I might look at an LE. I do like the one with the tan leather and some of the features it comes with (heated seats, etc.) but I hate the step bars both from a styling and practicality standpoint (I've already ripped the hard plastic mud flaps off my truck, and am guessing that I would end up trashing the step bars off road), and I do not like the lower profile tires.

So here I sit on the fence. If I could get an SE with stability control I would jump on it. If I could get a Nismo with the stick shift I would jump on it, especially if I could get one with a sand or tan interior. Does anyone know if these changes might be coming in '07? For now I will wait, but as I wait the chances increase Nissan might lose my business.
    Compromise.
    I want an SE with the Rockford Fosgate. Not going to happen. I do not want the 17" wheels on the LE, do not want the harsher ride of the NISMO.
    I figure that I'll just have to settle for a SE and them add a subwoofer and skid plates.
    Everyone bundles options.
  • nismo4menismo4me Posts: 15
    Yeah,man...I wish it were like the old days,where you build it EXACTLY how you want it.
    I got a Nismo KC 4x4 for the off road features,and the utility bed,but like the SE wheels better.The the body color bumpers,mirrors and handles on the LE would be my choice,but not the steps.I would also like a sunroof on my Kingcab.And I wanted a sixspeed and settled for auto.........I do love the truck I got,anyway,LOL
  • One thing I learned early on is tractor power and automobile power is two different things. Tires, weight distribution, gearing are all different in tractors. Tractors are setup for hard work, the average truck is not. I've seen a Farmall WD9 pull stumps that snuffed out a Chevy 3/4 ton with a 454 V-8.

The "work" I use my trucks for varies, but includes mostly clearing fence rows of bushes and trees. Some bushes can be mighty tough to pull out and the 3.5L I-5 is not up to the task. The 4.3L V-6 in my previous S10 was barely enough in 4W-Low. Any of the medium sized V-8's from Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan would be enough for what I need. However, with the much improved power available in the Tacoma and Frontier the compact trucks are now a viable option again.
  • 81trekker81trekker Posts: 51
    I have an 05 Nismo Crew Cab and am quite happy with it.
    Had to get automatic anyway so my wife could drive it.
    (Had to do the same with my 02 Mustang GT too.) I wanted
    the side airbags and was not happy that I had to get a sunroof to get the airbags. But, my wife likes the sunroof so it was not a big deal. Have 11K miles on it now and it's a great truck. I'm a Nissan convert from Toyota 4Runners I've driven for the past 20 years.
    Regarding off-road use, beware that neither the mud flaps nor the side rails will prevent you from getting small nicks in the doors and back panels from gavel. Others have posted about this too. I think the only solution is after market fender extenders. Only ones I've found so far are generic ones from JC Whitney. Running boards might also help as I have them on the 4Runner and never had this problem. Of course, many off-roaders do not want running boards.
    I drove both models and found there was much difference in the ride between the Nismo and the one with the less stiff suspension. But, that may be a matter of what you are used to.
    The truck has been put the test in the GW National Forest and it did well on all terrains and all conditions, mud to snow and ice. Much better climbing hills with lots of lose rocks and gravel than the 4Runner. I'm pleased with my purchase. - 81 Trekker
  • I have a NISMO KC 6-spd 4WD. It is inaccurate to say you "cannot get a stick" with the NISMO. You cannot get a crewcab 6-spd NISMO. You cannot get any LE with a stick. That leaves SE for a 6-spd CC.

NISMO is one of the configurations that has the lowest-geared (highest numerically) rear axle ratio, which makes it good for both towing and 4-wheeling.

If you don't 4-wheel, the SE makes the best sense.

I'm very happy with my choice, but that's ME.
  • "Something is wrong with Nissan brakes"? That's quite a statement, based on ONE sample, yours. It could be that you have a defective set, or it could be your driving style. You probably drive an automatic, which right away causes more wear on brakes (any make, any model of vehicle).

I have almost 14000 miles on mine, and I have to drive a long, winding, narrow mountain road any time I leave or return home. The brakes work perfectly and have shown no sign of unusual wear. I'm not saying that all Frontiers have great brakes, but to say the opposite based on one or a few trucks is ridiculous. Driving habits have too much influence on this one.
  • maatsmaats Posts: 1
    I know this has been brought up before, but I havent found the answer in the forums. I purchased this truck and have been quite impressed with everything except the gas mileage. I realise that it would be hard on fuel, but getting approx. 180 Km per half tank of fuel is less than satisfactory. Nissan says 15/20 city/highway. I am not getting anywhere near this. I figure I am getting about 11 or 12 miles per gallon in the city. I dont drive fast. It as approx. 1400Km on it now. Highway mileage is decent. I drive the truck normally.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Try www.courtesyparts.com which is a dealer in Dallas, Texas that I've ordered from and am very pleased with the service and value.
  • geosoxgeosox Posts: 1
    Great Forum, and a question for the many experts out there
    I have 05 SE, love it so far.
    Didn't want to fork out dough for Nismo, plus couldn't find stick, so went with SE.
    Original, boring, tires were 265/70 R16, BF Goodrich
    I changed them to Goodyear Wrangler 265/75 R16, obviously larger diameter, very cool.
    Anyone know if this screws up odometer calibration?
    Heard rumor may need some odometer gear change or the like?
  • badnessbadness Posts: 242
    I'm getting around 19 in the city,and on the Highway on a good trip I get around 25mps.at 65mph. too 70mph.
    I have the CC.Le 4wD.
  • dcblydcbly Posts: 6
    All I want is a 2 wheel drive NISMO KC with a 6-speed, is that too much to ask for?

Darren in Bakersfield
    What is the benefit of having the NISMO on a 2 wheel drive?
  • LOL, Darren, you are preaching to the choir with me. I think 6-spds should be available in all the versions!

Going off my memory of '05 brochure, but I think the 2WD NISMO has pretty much the same goodies the 4WD does, minus the 4WD and the front-wheel ABLS, plus you get a higher-geared rear end. So you get the stiffer suspension, skid plates, locking rear differential, NISMO wheels, and SUPPOSEDLY AS AN OPTION: a low range transfer case (there is some dispute about the latter, and I haven't found a hard answer). The 4WD version also gets a clutch-cancel switch; don't know if the 2WD has this.

Some of this stuff could be added aftermarket to an SE. Worth thinking about. The major obstacle seems to be adding a locking differential.
  • dcblydcbly Posts: 6
    NISMO's have all the options you can't get in a SE, fogs, nice radio, bed, ect! I don't mind the lower gearing

>What is the benefit of having the NISMO on a 2 wheel drive?<
  • I have a 2005 SE 2wd AUTO...getting 19 mpg city. Med grade fuel (89)..no jack rabbit starts, or at least not everytime, I just don't drive like a fool...You have to remember that the mpg on the sticker is just an estimate. In my experiences I have always seen a drop, 2 to 3 miles in mpg..if it says 15, then it really only gets 12-13 mpg. It really depends on driving style, road conditions, AC, tire pressure, wind,weather, and are you a lead foot driver?...is it 4wd..that will eat the mileage even if it is not engaged... look at everything ..