Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Would like to hear comments on the stereo in SE Crew from anyone who owns one?
  • firstdaddyfirstdaddy Member Posts: 19
    It is Neutered if you actually do any real "truck" work with it. I had a 1996 4X4 S-10 with the 4.3L v-6. There were times when pulling bushes, or moving landscape timbers required 4W-Low. There were several times the load snuffed it out in 4W-High. I now have a 2000 F-150 4X4 with 5.4L V-8, much better power wise, and about the same (+/-2mpg)on gas mileage. Still, even with 350 lb-ft available from the 5.4L, there are times I still need 4W-Low to get things done.

The biggest problem with the 3.5L I-5 is the quoted 220HP & 225 lb-ft occur at unusable rpm ranges. When is the last time anyone ever turned 5600 rpm pulling a trailer down the road, or turned 4000 rpm pulling a stump out? Looking at the torque curve is even more depressing. It manages a scrawny 200 lb-ft of torque at 2000 rpm. Figure in power train losses and you will be lucky to get 150 lb-ft to the ground. That is simply not enough for anyone who actually uses their truck to perform any kind of work.
    I use a 39 hp tractor and a 3/4 ton pickup for similar type of "work" that you use a midsize/compact truck for.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I agree, but how many people actually "need" 220 h.p.?
    The Nissan VQ is world class (considered by some as perhaps the best engine ever) and has a lot of history behind it. That's gotta thrill you!
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Sorry for the length of this post, but I am irritated. I've been playing around on the "build your Frontier" part of the Nissan website and I am looking for a crew cab 4x4.

I can almost convince myself to get a 6 speed SE and save some money. I would get the side air bags, but I hate the thought of getting another truck without stability control. It stinks that Nissan is witholding a great safety feature to force someone to buy a more expensive vehicle.

Then I look at the Nismo. Whenever I price one, it comes out to several thousand dollars more than an SE. I do like the look of the Nismo and some of the features (skid plates, locking differential etc.) are kind of cool. But, it irritates me that I cannot get a stick shift and that the only interior colors are a drab dark grey or blue.

So then I figure if I am going to end up with a sticker over $30k, I might look at an LE. I do like the one with the tan leather and some of the features it comes with (heated seats, etc.) but I hate the step bars both from a styling and practicality standpoint (I've already ripped the hard plastic mud flaps off my truck, and am guessing that I would end up trashing the step bars off road), and I do not like the lower profile tires.

So here I sit on the fence. If I could get an SE with stability control I would jump on it. If I could get a Nismo with the stick shift I would jump on it, especially if I could get one with a sand or tan interior. Does anyone know if these changes might be coming in '07? For now I will wait, but as I wait the chances increase Nissan might lose my business.
    Compromise.
    I want an SE with the Rockford Fosgate. Not going to happen. I do not want the 17" wheels on the LE, do not want the harsher ride of the NISMO.
    I figure that I'll just have to settle for a SE and them add a subwoofer and skid plates.
    Everyone bundles options.
  • nismo4menismo4me Member Posts: 15
    Yeah,man...I wish it were like the old days,where you build it EXACTLY how you want it.
    I got a Nismo KC 4x4 for the off road features,and the utility bed,but like the SE wheels better.The the body color bumpers,mirrors and handles on the LE would be my choice,but not the steps.I would also like a sunroof on my Kingcab.And I wanted a sixspeed and settled for auto.........I do love the truck I got,anyway,LOL
  • firstdaddyfirstdaddy Member Posts: 19
    One thing I learned early on is tractor power and automobile power is two different things. Tires, weight distribution, gearing are all different in tractors. Tractors are setup for hard work, the average truck is not. I've seen a Farmall WD9 pull stumps that snuffed out a Chevy 3/4 ton with a 454 V-8.

The "work" I use my trucks for varies, but includes mostly clearing fence rows of bushes and trees. Some bushes can be mighty tough to pull out and the 3.5L I-5 is not up to the task. The 4.3L V-6 in my previous S10 was barely enough in 4W-Low. Any of the medium sized V-8's from Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan would be enough for what I need. However, with the much improved power available in the Tacoma and Frontier the compact trucks are now a viable option again.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I have an 05 Nismo Crew Cab and am quite happy with it.
    Had to get automatic anyway so my wife could drive it.
    (Had to do the same with my 02 Mustang GT too.) I wanted
    the side airbags and was not happy that I had to get a sunroof to get the airbags. But, my wife likes the sunroof so it was not a big deal. Have 11K miles on it now and it's a great truck. I'm a Nissan convert from Toyota 4Runners I've driven for the past 20 years.
    Regarding off-road use, beware that neither the mud flaps nor the side rails will prevent you from getting small nicks in the doors and back panels from gavel. Others have posted about this too. I think the only solution is after market fender extenders. Only ones I've found so far are generic ones from JC Whitney. Running boards might also help as I have them on the 4Runner and never had this problem. Of course, many off-roaders do not want running boards.
    I drove both models and found there was much difference in the ride between the Nismo and the one with the less stiff suspension. But, that may be a matter of what you are used to.
    The truck has been put the test in the GW National Forest and it did well on all terrains and all conditions, mud to snow and ice. Much better climbing hills with lots of lose rocks and gravel than the 4Runner. I'm pleased with my purchase. - 81 Trekker
  • midnightsunmidnightsun Member Posts: 92
    I have a NISMO KC 6-spd 4WD. It is inaccurate to say you "cannot get a stick" with the NISMO. You cannot get a crewcab 6-spd NISMO. You cannot get any LE with a stick. That leaves SE for a 6-spd CC.

NISMO is one of the configurations that has the lowest-geared (highest numerically) rear axle ratio, which makes it good for both towing and 4-wheeling.

If you don't 4-wheel, the SE makes the best sense.

I'm very happy with my choice, but that's ME.
    "Something is wrong with Nissan brakes"? That's quite a statement, based on ONE sample, yours. It could be that you have a defective set, or it could be your driving style. You probably drive an automatic, which right away causes more wear on brakes (any make, any model of vehicle).

I have almost 14000 miles on mine, and I have to drive a long, winding, narrow mountain road any time I leave or return home. The brakes work perfectly and have shown no sign of unusual wear. I'm not saying that all Frontiers have great brakes, but to say the opposite based on one or a few trucks is ridiculous. Driving habits have too much influence on this one.
  • maatsmaats Member Posts: 1
    I know this has been brought up before, but I havent found the answer in the forums. I purchased this truck and have been quite impressed with everything except the gas mileage. I realise that it would be hard on fuel, but getting approx. 180 Km per half tank of fuel is less than satisfactory. Nissan says 15/20 city/highway. I am not getting anywhere near this. I figure I am getting about 11 or 12 miles per gallon in the city. I dont drive fast. It as approx. 1400Km on it now. Highway mileage is decent. I drive the truck normally.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
  • rtravis3343rtravis3343 Member Posts: 1
    Try www.courtesyparts.com which is a dealer in Dallas, Texas that I've ordered from and am very pleased with the service and value.
  • geosoxgeosox Member Posts: 1
    Great Forum, and a question for the many experts out there
    I have 05 SE, love it so far.
    Didn't want to fork out dough for Nismo, plus couldn't find stick, so went with SE.
    Original, boring, tires were 265/70 R16, BF Goodrich
    I changed them to Goodyear Wrangler 265/75 R16, obviously larger diameter, very cool.
    Anyone know if this screws up odometer calibration?
    Heard rumor may need some odometer gear change or the like?
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    I'm getting around 19 in the city,and on the Highway on a good trip I get around 25mps.at 65mph. too 70mph.
    I have the CC.Le 4wD.
  • dcblydcbly Member Posts: 6
    All I want is a 2 wheel drive NISMO KC with a 6-speed, is that too much to ask for?

Darren in Bakersfield
    What is the benefit of having the NISMO on a 2 wheel drive?
    LOL, Darren, you are preaching to the choir with me. I think 6-spds should be available in all the versions!

Going off my memory of '05 brochure, but I think the 2WD NISMO has pretty much the same goodies the 4WD does, minus the 4WD and the front-wheel ABLS, plus you get a higher-geared rear end. So you get the stiffer suspension, skid plates, locking rear differential, NISMO wheels, and SUPPOSEDLY AS AN OPTION: a low range transfer case (there is some dispute about the latter, and I haven't found a hard answer). The 4WD version also gets a clutch-cancel switch; don't know if the 2WD has this.

Some of this stuff could be added aftermarket to an SE. Worth thinking about. The major obstacle seems to be adding a locking differential.
  • dcblydcbly Member Posts: 6
    NISMO's have all the options you can't get in a SE, fogs, nice radio, bed, ect! I don't mind the lower gearing

>What is the benefit of having the NISMO on a 2 wheel drive?<
  • memphis05seckmemphis05seck Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 SE 2wd AUTO...getting 19 mpg city. Med grade fuel (89)..no jack rabbit starts, or at least not everytime, I just don't drive like a fool...You have to remember that the mpg on the sticker is just an estimate. In my experiences I have always seen a drop, 2 to 3 miles in mpg..if it says 15, then it really only gets 12-13 mpg. It really depends on driving style, road conditions, AC, tire pressure, wind,weather, and are you a lead foot driver?...is it 4wd..that will eat the mileage even if it is not engaged... look at everything ..
  • kevin2006kevin2006 Member Posts: 2
    My 06 Frontier CC LE 4x4 gets about 15.5 on average driving back and forth to work. Half is on the highway and half is in town. I drive fast on the highway, not exactly fule efficient driving. Have about 2200 miles on it now.
  • kevin2006kevin2006 Member Posts: 2
    I love this truck except for one major annoyance - wind noise. The left rear door leaks air horribly. The rubber door seal has been replaced once and that solved the problem for about a week or two until the seal compressed and retained its permanent set - now the noise is back. The worst air leak is of course, at ear height on the door. Anyone else with this problem? Dealer is considering adjusting the door, but everything looks flush, doors all shut good.
    Do you have the Rockford Fosgate package? If so, where are the subwoofers located and how satisfied are you with the Fosgate?

I've called 7 different dealers, not one has an LE or NISMO Crew with Fosgate. Only one had a NISMO Crew and that one is a base.
    Frontiers are scarce, but WOW do the dealers have a lot of Titans and they are really trying to get sales on the Titan.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I have the Fosgate. The sub is under the rear seat behind the driver. I think the system is good. You could do better aftermarket, but the steering wheel controls make the deal. I love using the controls on the wheel. I think if I replaced the stock speakers it would be better. Overall, I think its worth the money. I don't like adding a new stereo, had too many break ins just to steal a stereo. Cost more in repairs than the radio was worth. I prefer to have factory.

As for MPG. I get about 15.5 mixed driving. LE CC 4X4. I also have RPG 2.5 lift. No oversized tires yet. I drive pretty fast (live in SoCal, I think everyone does).

I am at 25,000 miles. Very happy, few little complaints, but would buy again (especially with the rebate). Still best buy out there IMHO.
  • czmurrayczmurray Member Posts: 2
    Hey, do you have any pictures you can e-mail me? (czmurray@mac.com) i ordered that same lift but i'm scared. also does anyone know who makes a black off road wheel for an LE 4x4? let me know. peace.
    You can't post other forums here, but if you do a google search on: "nissan 2005 frontier forums", a site for 2nd generation frontiers comes up. There are tons of pics with people with lifts, oversized tires. Only a few with black rims (that is actaully what I want also). Great site with a lot of good information.
  • rutzmanrutzman Member Posts: 9
    i'm looking into a lift for my 2005 Frontier 4x4. Who makes your, can you send any pics to aaronrutz@gmail.com

did you get the new coils or spacers for the front, and for the rear, new set of extra leafs, shackles or blocks??

give a shout-A
    I have a lift from greg (greg@prerunners.com). It is a 2.5" lift with front spacers and rear blocks. there are many other options out there. In my previous post, the other forum has many pictures of different lifts. If you need some other pics let me know. The only downside is that on very sharp drop offs (speed bumps are the worst, off road also), the a-arm hit and makes a band. This doesn't happen to everyone, I am going to go with a 2" lift, Greg says that solves the problem. He is making a different arm to solve the problem. He makes lifts for Titans, Frontiers and Xterra's.

I would definitely look at the other forum, people have done some really nice things. Great looking trucks with some great mods.
    jeff :)
  • rutzmanrutzman Member Posts: 9
    yeah that would be great if you could send some photos of the lift, to aaronrutz@gmail.com thanks
  • dheidtdheidt Member Posts: 8
    Just FYI - I have the 2" lift from PRG and it still has the problem with the upper A-arm hitting the strut bucket. The new A-arm he is coming up with is going to cost over $500...not worth it in my opinion. I'm going to take mine off when I have some time. It looks much better with it on, but functionality suffers. I put BFG A/T's (stock size) and I still lost about 2 MPG with the lift. When off-roading, the loss of down travel is noticeable, but the noise is what really gets me.

On a more general note...I have 30k miles on my Frontier and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. The brakes are beginning to squeal a little, but only when they're cold. I could have done without the roof-rack, but It was bundled with the Sunroof, which was bundled with the Fosgate package - which I wanted.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Does that mean the subwoofer is sitting on the floor? One of the things that appeals to me about the Frontier is the seats pop up and you have a flat floor. If I have a subwoofer there, that will not work for me and my big dogs.
    it does sit on the floor. I lay the back part of the seats down (which is flat) and put the dogs on top of it.
    subs are under the seat on the left side ,they're pretty loud with the write music,I hate that rap crap and I play rock and Grateful dead ,they sound great!
    what brand and modle do you have for the lift and do you have any pics you can share with us.

Thanks.
    I too love my NIssan, I have the CC Le 4wd.
    it so fast!!
  • mauifrontiermauifrontier Member Posts: 2
    Mine had the high pitched squeak and it turned out that the spare tire was loose and just needed to be tightend.
  • mauifrontiermauifrontier Member Posts: 2
    I'm curious how many will notice this after this message is posted. I have an '05 Nismo 4x4 Crew cab purchased 11-05 built 04-05. The day after I bought it and was washing it, I noticed a 1/4" area of rust in the drainage channel on the drivers side rear. It seems as though there is some type of sealant applied in the groove before painting that stops about 4" shy of the end. Water pools in there and the rough edge of metal that is only covered by paint starts to rust. I noticed two other ones ( brand new, unsold )at the dealer with the same problem. The dealer agreed to fix it, but they were going to repaint the whole roof. I didn't want them to do that as I've had bad experiences with paint jobs here on Maui(overspray, peeling, orange peel etc.. ). I just used my dremel tool to grind out the rust, primed, and touch up painted it with rust oleum . It seems to have not come back yet. I absolutely LOVE this truck with the exception of that. I've had 4 other 4x4 trucks in the past and this is by far the best!
  • bobratbobrat Member Posts: 1
    HI GEEZER...GOOD INFO. I CHECKED IT OUT. LOOKS GOOD. BUT BEFORE I ORDER THE VALLEY HITCH, CAN YOU TELL ME IF IT WILL INTERFERE WITH THE SPARE TIRE COMMING DOWN? I HAVE A 2005 KC NISMO. I CRAWLED UNDER THERE AND LOOKS LIKE THAT MAY BE A PROBLEM.
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    Thanks for the heads up on this Maui. I'll have a look and see if I have a similar situation. Speaking of rain, you guys have had your share lately!

Second the love affair with this truck! I have ~1500 now on my white Nismo KC 4x2, and I can't wait to go to work in the mornings, just so I can climb up into that cab and rock and roll!
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    I also have the 2.5" lift from Greg at www.prerunners.com and occasionally get "the noise." Greg offered to swap to the 2" lift FOR FREE (talk about great customer service), but I have decided to stay with the 2.5" lift. I need the extra 1/2 inch clearance off-road and very rarely hear the bang. The off-road capability of the NISMO package with locking rear and now 13" of ground clearance is incredible. I have not gotten stuck or done any more body damage since getting the lift, and have traversed some amazing terrain.

On another note, I have the same problem that others have reported: bad road rash on the front of the rear fender flares. Even with the factory mud flaps on the front, the rear fender flares get beat up really bad. The factory puts a small, clear plastic to protect the area, but it needs to be much larger. Eventually I will have to repaint the fenders. After I do, I will put a much larger piece of clear in the area so I don't have to repaint again.
  • czmurrayczmurray Member Posts: 2
    hey jeff, thanks for the website. just what i wanted. is the 2.5" lift the only one out there? and does anyone know what the height difference is between the 4x4 and 2x4 stock, if ther is any?
    Ground clearance is measured at the lowest point of the vehicle, which on the Frontier and most all other vehicles is the differential. Adding the 2 1/2" lift to the truck doesn't increase your ground clearance...adding larger tires does.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    You are correct in that the lift does not raise the rear differential. However, it does raise the body, frame, and everything in the front suspension area. The difference in appearance and more importantly actual ground clearance in all areas other than the rear differential is very noticable.
    It definitely looks better with the lift. I'm just going to hate to spend the money on the new A-arm to fix the noise issue...but it's going to have to be done.
  • hustoncshustoncs Member Posts: 21
    I bought my NISMO Crew Cab in October of 2005 I have about 7600 miles on it with at least 600 miles being on the dirt in Death Valley and Northern California. I bought the truck to take off road and so far I have been very impressed with what it can do being stock. The Jeepers and Toyota drivers that I run with are all very impressed with this truck. First run out the impression was is the &#147;NISMOOO&#148; going to go "from the Jeepers and Toyotas" up some very tough hills. Then with the truck in lo and the diff locked; up the hills it went without even blinking an eye. Afterwards it was all wow I never thought a &#147;NISSAN&#148; could do that! In the sand, running up streams beds, and down steep hills this truck really is a kick! It&#146;s very tough and the torque is awesome, but I could use some advice how do I get scratches out of the paint that the trails have put on it?

Cheers :)
  • got1bgot1b Member Posts: 48
    Does anyone have any experience with these or something similar?
    I am thinking about getting a NISMO 4X4 and wondering what impact the roll and lock will have on the Utili-track system.
    Any other recommended brands out there?
    I went with the fold-a-cover because of the ease of taking it off. The bed (in the CC) is not very long and I like to be able to use the whole bed often. I love the rolling ones, but they take up some room up front. I really like mine. A lot cheaper and very easy to put on.
    I recommend Undercover.
    Will not interfere with the utilitrack.
    Undercover
    I didn't know undercover had come out with the Frontier model yet. They look like great covers. That is probably what I would go with also.
  • hustoncshustoncs Member Posts: 21
    Yeah I saw this one it looks great and out here in CA it's 300.00 dollars cheaper than the hardcover from Nissan. It's next on my list of things to get.

:shades:
  • frubierafrubiera Member Posts: 1
    I have a Nissan Frontier (Navara in Europa)y I have bought separators of 1.3 ". Story really elevates the car? It is necessary to correct the parallel? The wheels can be put 235-85-16
    Tanks
    Felix from Spain