Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    I am feeling a lot better about my '06 XE KC...awesome truck! You guys were right about the 4 banger,it does what I need it to do! Almost has a thousand miles on it so now I can put my foot down a bit more...great little engine.So far I have no leaf spring noise.
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    new MPG numbers: best 21.34; worst 11.66; average 14.36
    go about 223 miles on each tank (usually takes 13-15 gallons each fill up); average speed is 25 miles per hour, now have 18K miles on the truck. 05KC Nismo 4x4, Leer shell, sys oil, K&N CAI
    Gosh I feel all alone!
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Don't fret - we're all out driving ... and waiting for the 2007's.
  • pickpickpickpick Member Posts: 2
    Hello Frontier owners
    I am looking for a tri-fold tonneau cover for my `06 SE CC 6speed. Does anybody can make me a suggestion. Fold-a-cover folds in four but is made out of steel so it does not have a great look. Extang trifecta seems good but is vinyl made, so I guess it will make wind noise. Undercover does not fold. Lund and BAK makes it in ABS plastic. Does anybody has that on his pickup.
    Maybe I will trade in my '06 XE for an '07 SE crew, stranger things have happened!
    Larry - say it ain't so!
    Thinking seriously about it, may need to make long trips with 4 adults....
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    go for it Larry! You'll love the V-6!!!
    12\2004 i bought an '05 prerunner(after my '97 T100 was totaled), 07\2005 I traded the prerunner in for an "05 Tundra (needed a larger windshield, I had to duck to see signals sometimes with the tacoma) then last month traded the tundra in to buy a new CRV for the little woman (thinking I'd just drive her old car)then I realized a guy who has owned trucks non stop since 5\21\1984 can't live without them! I gave my daughter my wife's old car and went out and bought the Frontier KC XE..needless to say I have lost mega bucks lately , at least the dealers are happy! One thing is for sure, if I trade my XE in i am getting top of line fully loaded 4WD SE Crew Cab, it's MUST be silver, I only buy silver trucks! My T100 had 190HP V6,Tacoma had 245HP V6 and my Tundra had 288 HP V8..awesome power! So yes I am sure I will enjoy the Frontier V6! (if i am crazy enough to lose a few more k!)
  • norbynorby Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where this info came from?
    The local dealer is denying the longbed option on the crew.
    Thanks,
  • rangermangrangermang Member Posts: 27
    I own a 2005 Frontier CC SE 6spd and I have the extang trifecta on it. As far as I have noticed, it really isnt louder because it doesnt flap around, very tight fit. Also, with a little elbow grease, you can make it fit even with the rail guards still on the truck. I think I am getting about 1 mpg more as well, but that could also be from the recent switch to mobil 1 syn oil. All in all, very easy to install and use, and uninstall, i have no regrets. Hope this helps!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The information came from Nissan. I had access to it a few days before it was released to the public.

Nissan's website is now updated to show the specs. for the 2007 Frontiers. Select Crew Cab then specifications and dimensions then print out the page and tell your dealer they are ignorant (well, do it politely ;) )

The option is not yet showing up on the build your truck function on the Nissan website, however, your dealer can order your truck.

Only the SE and LE offer the CC longbed.
    2006 Frontier NISMO

Entertaining, if nothing else.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    I have a Truxedo roll-up cover that I am very happy with. Comes in a variety of colors and locks.
    A seemingly pointless auto review as far as I'm concerned.
    How is your truck treating you Moparbad?
    The truck is great. No complaints.

I'm not treating it very well. :(

The passenger side mirror, front passenger door glass, window run (rubber trim), and right front fender all must be replaced.

Choice of mailbox or Buick being driven by seasoned citizen down the middle of the road. :cry:
  • mike_8891mike_8891 Member Posts: 2
    Im interested in buying a new 2006 Frontier, but I can't decide which trim. I like the rugged off-road looks of the Nismo better, but because it comes with off-road equipment do u think the ride quality will be poor as apposed to the LE model?
  • joboo1joboo1 Member Posts: 75
    hi

i have an 05 frontier and noticed the paint chipping on the right side mostly - just enough to annoy me. i have the mud guards and running boards. have you purchased the fender flares and if so do they work
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Ride quality will probably have much to do with your age and expectations. As I've gotten older, I appreciate a quiet and stable ride much more than I did when I was young. Some people have said that the Nismo does ride a bit harder, but not by a great deal. The LE comes with a great many extra luxury features that Nismo (and SE) lack. You may want to add these up to get a full picture of the model diferences beyond ride quality. Good luck. I have an '06 SE CC 6-Speed and absolutely love it so far.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    I have an '05 LE KC. I looked at and drove a Nismo first as I wanted the blue interior and that was the only way I could get it.

There were no blue interior Nismo's available so I ordered the LE since it did ride a little better to my way of thinking. The LE also gets better fuel mileage so I am very happy that I bought it.

I am a little past old so that as asa said, it might be my tired old bones that feel the difference. I also do not do any off roading so I bought a 4X2 model.

OkieScot
    Dealer offered me $13,500 for my XE KC...it has 1,500 miles on it...about a month ago I paid 18,200 + TL.. they must think I am insane! I'll drive it to the ground before I take such a low ball trade-in offer,I'll take it to my grave with me!! I am NOT a happy camper,I feel insulted and
    hurt! I say "Let the dealers eat cake!)
    You purchased it new and now it is used. They depreciate at least 20% as soon as you drive it off the lot.
    You should not feel insulted.
    20% of 18,200 = 3,640, 18,200- 3,640=14,560 not 13,500
    Not to mention Kelly Blue Book quotes 15,450! Is the Blue Book still an accurate gage?
    I think that depreciation has accellerated on most brands in the last several years because industry sales have been so weak. Each time a manufacturer kicks on a bigger rebate, cheaper financing or adds features at no charge, the value of a similar used vehicle drops the same or more.

This one reason why we keep our vehicles for 12 to 15 years. Depreciation becomes a distant and meaningless factor over a long time period.
    The dealers talk of a re-conditioning fee also. That's another $1000 or so. Of course, they'll turn around and sell that same vehicle for a tidy little profit.
  • rangermangrangermang Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone installed headers on their 05 or newer Frontier? I have been thinking about installing them for increased fuel efficiency...while I'm at it, has anyone found a dual exhaust kit that will fit the 05/newer Frontiers? Thanks!
    Allen, 05 CC SE 6cyl/6M
    Larry - Are you anywhere near Southern California? I might just be interested in you Frontier... seeing as how you have it optioned just like I like.
    I am near San Francisco... I found a dealer that gave me $16,000 for it...sorry
    So... that means you got a V6 now? Hope you enjoy it, whatever you got.

And, just so's I know, where did you get the XE in the first place? Around here, they don't have 'em with the axle package you got.
    Yes I got a NISMO CC , ecotrklvr I purchased the XE at Dorrito Brothers Nissan in Concord, Ca but I traded it in at Antioch Nissan. You might check their web sites. Good Luck!
  • lax5lax5 Member Posts: 29
    When did you purchase your truck? How much below the window price did you get it for? I am trying to get an idea on how much dealers are willing to deal now that '07 have been released.

anyone one else recently purchase? What has your experience been?
    Nissan Frontier NISMO
    quote-
    After a year of real-world use and a proven track record for reliability, there is no doubt why we have selected the Frontier NISMO as one of our 10 Best Buys in Four-Wheel Drive the last two years. This is one of the best trucks available today, and not one of us on staff would hesitate to put one in our own garage.

We're going to miss our Frontier NISMO. It took us places well off the pavement with confidence, such as on Pickup Truck of the Year where we used it as a support vehicle
    -end
  • rimcutrimcut Member Posts: 3
    Evening folks,

I am the proud owner of an '06 NISMO. Love it...period.

While reviewing the specs of the '07's, it appears that the engine ratings have been dropped ever so slightly. It is not really a big deal, but the curiosity is killing me. Why have 4 HP and about 2 lbs. of torque disappeared?
    Different method of SAE rating.
  • csfeightcsfeight Member Posts: 1
    Hey im wondering if anyone has found any other exhaust besides swept side for an '05 Frontier? Also has anyone installed an LED light bar on their frontier and how does it fit?
    Has anyone found colored or even black wheel well flares for a 05 Frontier.
    StormTrooperDFW has a true dual exhaust with out the back tailpipes. It was done by Kinney,s Muffler Shop in Bedford, TX.

I think it was posted on the Club Frontier forum and he has sound clips there too. It looks very nice.

You can visit their website at www.kinneysmufflershop.com

Can't help you with the LED light bar.

OkieScot
    Hi all

Just wondering, I have an 05 Frontier with a tow hitch. I think the vehicle is rated for 6000 lbs towing capacity. While looking under the hood I did not see a second smaller radiator for the towing package. Is it normal not to have the added cooling system for towing package.
    My brochure does not show a tow package available for the '05 Frontier. It does offer hitches, but not a package. That being the case I would not think there is a heavy duty radiator available on the trucks with a hitch.

I would go by the parts shop and ask them if they show one available just to be sure.

OkieScot
    thanks for the info.
  • 1mholland1mholland Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the above truck new in 09/2005 - unfortunately I had to wait 8 months for a shell to be designed to fit the 6 ft bed, after purchase of the custom shell I noticed a major gap on the frame of the bed on the drivers side - I have been told this is on all 2005 frontiers (I have not seen one frontier w/this defect) My tailgate has literally fallen off 2x and now the truck bed has a foot long crack in the box behind the driver side - I have a complaint into Nissan Consumer Affairs - I love my truck but I need to know if anyone out there has experienced this same problem?

please reply
    :(
    Mine's an '06 SE CC and my bed is fine. I've hauled pinestraw, lumber and firewood with it, but nothing extremely heavy like a 4-Wheeler that could bounce up and down on the tailgate while driving. I've heard of some owners that have had tailgate damage from that sort of thing, as that sort of dynamic brings a tremendous amount of weight to bear.
  • rutzmanrutzman Member Posts: 9
    :confuse:

hey guys, I was on this website back when I bought my '05 Frontier 4x4, V6, 6 speed. I love it. Its my second Nissan, my other was a 4cyl 4x4 '92 Hardbody, thing ran forever.

Heres my concern, I wondering if anyone else is getting similar symptoms.

In the past three months (37,000 miles)I had one of the U joints go in the front driveshaft, the alternator go, a rear seal in the diff., and now I have to bring it in again for another bad U Joint in the rear drive shaft.

They told me at the Nissan dealer they've seen the U Joints go in the Titan, but not in the Frontier. Funny thing, both trucks use the same part.

Just food for thought, wonding who out there has this going on-peace
    I have not had any problems with my '05 LE KC yet, but I do not have nearly as many miles on mine.

OkieScot
  • gtowgngtowgn Member Posts: 3
    Prospective Frontier owner here: I'm considering ordering a 2007 crew cab, short bed, 4x4, 6spd manual, SE Value Truck Package, and no other options. Any recommendations on the factory tow package vs. the aftermarket? I can get a bolt-on receiver hitch and a Draw Tite 4-flat T-wiring connector for $150, a substantial savings vs. the factory. Is there anything that would make the factory receiver and 7-pin wiring harness superior? If I wanted to tow over 3,000# (WA State law), I'd still have to step up and buy the electric brake controller in addition to the tow pkg. I've used those T-connectors before and they simply involved unplugging part of the rear wiring harness, plugging in the T, and securing the wiring to the frame. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    My 2007 Frontier brochure does not show a tow package as an option. The CC shows 5 packages available. SE power package, sunroof package, LE leather package, Nismo/LE Rockford Fosgate package, and the Nismo/LE traction package (4X4) only.

Under maximum towing capacities there is a footnote #10 that says 7 pin connector trailer wire harness and tow receiver hitch required.
    That is the only reference I find for towing.

I would probably go with the factory wire harness since it should be a plug and play, but
    I would probably go to a reputable trailer hitch installer to see what they would recommend.

They should be able to tailor make a system for the type of towing you are going to do.

The only advantages of the factory system to me would be that there would be no hassles over any warranty that might come up from the use of the factory system. It would also be a simple bolt on I would think.

OkieScot
    Thanks for your thoughts OkieScot. Using various sources (like Edmunds, Nissan's site, and the local dealer's site) I've been able to ascertain that the factory tow "package" consists of the receiver hitch assembly and the 7-pin wiring plug. So it's not really a "tow package" but really just the receiver hitch & wiring. For less than half of the price of the factory setup, there are aftermarket receiver hitches and a 4-flat plug & play harness. Draw-Tite and Hopkins make T-connectors that simply plug into the rear wiring harness-easy! Installing the hitch & wiring should take me a couple of hours max if everything fits w/o interference (optimistic). Since we're all for saving money, that sounds great. However, if I ever want to tow heavier weights requiring trailer brakes, then I have to go back & have a 7-pin harness installed, plus a brake controller, which isn't just plug & play at the back end. That might be a lot more expensive. I am leaning toward the factory setup just to know I don't have to screw around with fit issues, but jeez, the price sure is steep at $318 invoice/$410 retail. On a side note, I'd love to hear what kind of mileage people are getting with V-6, 4x4's. Thanks!
    Does anyone out there know how the ABLS (Active Brake Limited Slip) actually works? Is it just in low-range 4, or is it always operating? I'm kind of leery of stuff like this that tries to outthink the driver. There are situations where you would want to be able to have a little tire slippage and not having it could increase the likelihood of getting stuck. The sales rep I'm dealing with said it isn't always operating, but didn't provide an explanation.
  • ryanceyryancey Member Posts: 42
    The engine has hydrolic valve lifters. they take a few seconds to pressure up. The lifter taps the top of the valve until pressure is built. this is normal and causes no damage.