Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• hkingshkings Member Posts: 74
    I just got an email from my contact at Nissan Corporate headquarters in Glendale, CA! He said that they just got the Brand New 2005 Frontier Official Dealer Brochure books in the office and he is sending me one in the mail today! Being Im in CA too, hopefully I will have it by Friday! Damn turkey holiday ;) WooHoo! Can't wait! Once I have that, all I need is pricing info (and of course the trucks themselves) and I'm set!

Also, Thanks for the link JBone! Great read! I too can't wait for this truck to come out. I too researched the 05 Taco heavily and was excited about it, however the lack of options among other things let me down. I'm really liking what I see and hear about the new 05 Fronty!
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I know it is a little early since the Frontier is not out yet, but does anyone know if Nissan has a bed cover that goes with the optional utility system, or does anyone know if this system makes aftermarket covers difficult to install?

I have a Roll & Lock on my truck, which I love. Once you get used to having one, you cannot imagine driving a truck without one. I heard that the utility system will be standard with the Crew Cab, and if I cannot get the Roll & Lock or something similar I will be bummed.
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    2 cents on the info I've been given here in NY. Told by dealer late Jan/early Feb before it arrives at our dealers. Also I just saw a full review on the 05 Frontier on pickuptruck.com. Two things I noticed. The crew cab bed is listed 62 in instead of the 58.6 I've seen before. good. NO 6 Spd Manual in any crew cabs, only king cab. BAD. Misprint or Nissan decide to drop that tranny on a crew cab? 265 hp, no stick, they're nuts.
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    Thanks for the review link demoncleaner. The review on pickuptruck.com is pretty good. Too bad the day the author test drove the Frontier, it was raining Texas bull frogs and it clouded his impression.

I walked a Nissan dealer lot here in San Jose this afternoon, and no sign of any Frontiers. Did see some 05 pathfinders and liked the front end and interior. Amazingly, I wasn't accosted by any salesmen. And no, no brochures available to take home. The sales guy inside said the Frontiers were due to their dealership in January - Feb.

I'll just have to wait till the San Jose Auto Show to sit in the Frontier... in January.
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the pickuptruck.com review demoncleaner.
    Anyone read the Four Wheeler magazine PTOTY contest(www.fourwheeler.com)? Saw it mentioned on another forum by hkings but no comments. I read it and the pickuptruck.com review and after those have now decided its going to be a Taco for me.
    Reasons: Offroad ability (both in stock and offroad pkg forms) is a major deciding factor for me and the 05 Fronty came in a distant third behind the 05 Taco (which almost bested the Powerwagon). I can't believe Nissan will not be offering the 6-spd in the crew cab - bad mistake IMO. Also the four wheeler authors wrote that Nissan recommended 93 octane in the Fronty tested, whereas the Taco used 91 - a direct contrast to the specs put out by nissannews recently.
    As far as off-road ability, the Taco is definitely a great truck. While I do plan on going off-road every once in awhile, I wont be doing so much heavy stuff that a 4x4 Frontier wont suffice. In addition, Ill be adding my own aftermarket tires and suspension. The most important thing to me is being comfortable driving it as a daily driver. I was really looking forward to the new 05 Taco and after test driving it 4 times, it really did not impress me at all. Power was ok, but you had to stomp the pedal to the floor on the V6 to get it to go, and it still wasn't impressive to me. In addition, it's the lack of options like leather, and power seats, moonroof that you can't even get on an almost $30K truck that frustrates me. The 4 wheeler magazine even said the Tacoma drivers seat sat real low and visibility over the hood was impared especially with the high hood, and I agree!! (I'm 5' 7"). I felt like I couldnt see the road well, there is no height adjustment, not even a manual one??? On an almost 30K truck.. give me a break... not acceptable. The new 05 Frontier offers power seats plus more. In addition, there is even a case on Tundrasolutions of the new Composite Bed cracking already on somebodys newly purchased 05 Tacoma just from going off roading... NOT a good sign!

Anyway, someone at Nissan Corporate said that the Frontier will start hitting the bigger market cities like Los Angeles and So Cal areas { my area! :) } the 2nd week of December. If I'm not impressed with the Frontier, I will be getting a Titan, which I loved. I'm hoping the Frontier really is like a Mid-Size Titan, like what is being said.

In any case I have access to the Nissan VPP program which gets me any Nissan for 2.87% under Invoice pricing! Eitherway, Im getting a Nissan truck :)

If anyone hears any more on the release or pricing of the 05 Frontiers please post it! :)
    I looked at the Titan also. Its a massive truck, with sticker MPG at 14 - 18. Also, the MSRP was $26K+ for a base king cab model - a little steep for my pocket book. I'm hoping the Frontier will be in the low $20's for the King Cab in LE trim, hoping.

Yeah, if anyone comes across firm pricing, please post.
    Yes, the Titan is Huge, but the MPG of 14 - 18 (4x4) and 14 - 19 (4x2) is only going to be 1-2 mpg worse than the new 05 Frontier at 15 - 20 (4x4) and 16 - 21 (4x2). {NissanNews has prelim specs} In addition, if you wanted an 04 Titan now, you should be able to get close to $6000 off MSRP with rebate. Im not sure how Nissan deals on new redesigned models, but you can bet there will be no rebates available immediately (until 04's are all but gone) and dealers may not come too far off MSRP for awhile while 05 inventory is low and supply is higher. Hence most people might see more truck for the money in the Titan depending on how 05 Frontiers are priced at MSRP.

In my case, the access to the Nissan VPP program makes the 05 Frontier more price friendly right out of the gate. Plus as you mentioned the Titan is huge and I'd preffer driving a slightly smaller truck for my needs. However as I mentioned if the Frontier underwhelms me, I wouldnt hesitate getting an 04 Titan.

Ditto on the request for 05 Frontier pricing! :)
    How do you get access to the Nissan VPP program? Are you a past customer? What is the criteria for qualifying?

Thanks!

BTW, at the Titan pricing point, a loaded Tundra Access cab can be had, and that is NICE truck.
    My cousin does work for Nissan and he has direct access to the program. Part of his program says that Friends and Family may also take advantage of the program as well. 2 per year I think. Anyway, I was just confirmed eligible today! WooHoo! Now I just have to pick out my truck! :)

As far as Titan vs Tundra pricing I have personally found that similarly configured Titan Crew Cab LE loaded vs a Tundra Double Cab Limited Loaded, has the Titan close to $3000 cheaper thanks to the rebate, specifically on 04's.

Maybe Acces cabs Tundras are priced cheaper though. Hope this helps!
    Hey everyone! The reviews are trickling out! Looks like a very good one from USAToday.com! He even says he likes it best of all the new and current mid-size trucks! NICE! Can't wait to drive one! Enjoy!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2004-12-02-fro- ntier_x.htm
    Sounds like high marks on all but the steering effort at parking lot speeds. May be a function of tire pressure or even the stock tires. Doesn't sound like a deal killer though.

He does suggest waiting a full year for all the bugs to be worked out. A whole year???

One thing I'm going to do this weekend it test drive a pathfinder, which is in the dealers now to get a feel for the 4.0 V6.

Thanks for the link hkings!
  • deep_purpledeep_purple Member Posts: 16
    You can start building your truck now.

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/FutureModelSurveyChoice/0,,3385- 5,00.html

At the bottom of the page choose your trim and have fun while checking out the prices.
    All right!

My SE 4x2 comes to $20,875 before tax and reg. Silver/graphite, Auto-tranny, alloys, floor mats.

Come on Nissan, send us some units!
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I cannot believe nissan has not put these trucks on the lots yet. They are giving away sales to the tacoma every day that they delay the delivery of these trucks, Now you read about the honda ridgeline and the redesigh of the ford sport track due out in april of 2005.Who ever is in charge at Nissan needs to WAKE UP. I understand that they have been producing these trucks in Tennesse since oct
    I went to check out the 4 cyl. XE model but A/C come as a different option so I end up somewhere close to 18 grand while SE model that comes with 6 cyl. & 6 speed has A/C + some other stuff as standard and cost below 19 grand.
    For $800 you can get 2 more cyl in your engine, and extra gear in the box and a few options. I think these prices are not yet final. I want to go for 4 cyl to save some gas but for $800 the savings doesn't make to much sense.
    I think this will help you getting an answer.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0411/07/c01-327244.htm
    That article is from november 7,2004. Alot of trucks have been made since november I am just wondering were they are. Toyota sent out trucks to their dealers for test drives only just so the public could see them and drive them. In florida at the auto show last month they had one and it was locked you were not allowed to sit in it. They are losing sales every day to toyota
    I'd rather they get the Frontier right then rush it out the door and have a slew of recalls and unhappy customers badmouthing the product.

Here is my take on this. They are using November and Dec, notoriously slow sales months because of the holidays, to get production ramped up and build inventory. Come January, the dealers will have a lot of models coming in, and able to meet demand then.

I'm willing to wait. I expect the Frontier to meet my needs of power, reliability, features, ruggedness and curb appeal.

Conventional auto buying wisdom always advises to not buy the first year model. Second year they have the bugs worked out and sewn in the customer feedback on improvments.

Today, automakers don't have the luxury of having a first year problem child. The public is less forgiving and the word spreads like wildfire on the Intranet. And the competition will jump on their misfortune.

Let hope Nissan gets the Frontier right, and the wait will be worth it.
    Nissanusa says December 15th.
  • riddick888riddick888 Member Posts: 4
    I just "built my truck" at the Nissan Website, and there was no indication of an extended bed option. Does anyone know anything about the bed length? Will there be a 6 foot bed available? Thanks!
    Oops ... specifically:
    Will there be a 6 foot bed available on the 2WD CC? Thanks again.
  • purestockpurestock Member Posts: 17
    KC = 76"
    CC = 62"
    Hey everyone,

Another very good review at Autoweb.com on the 2005 Frontier!

Looks like another review that liked it just as much if not a little better than all the new 05 Mid Size pickups, inlucding the Tacoma.

Man the wait to try one (and buy one!) is killing me!

http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cf- m/article_page_order_int/1/article_id_int/159

:D
  • chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    Is scheduled to air around Dec. 31. A ways off, but worth putting on your calendar. The current PBS pledge drive could move that date back a bit, though. Hopefully, we can all have our own "first drives" before that!
    http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/upcomingshows.shtml
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    I just went too the dealer by my house in NJ,the sales guy told me they will be getting the 2005frontier come Feb-March now,thats a real downer now,but I went too the website they let you bulid your truck now,mine will cost me almost 29.000,they went up in the price range.Just got the new spec on it in the mail today.Hope this helps you out dude.
    Hey badness, you better try calling around and checking other dealers! Sounds like your dealer just wants to sell something that is on their lot. I've spoken to many dealers in the Southern California area, including Nissan Corporate, and they are all saying the first trucks will be hitting lots within the next week or 2, some even said this week! Also, the "Build Your Future Frontier" part of Nissan's site is not accurate at all, it changes everyday as they are using it as a research tool, if you read the fine print.

Hope this helps you out.
    Nissan can't seem to sing from the same songbook. Their web site says "late 2004", a dealer in my area says January, Feb. I've read on here from deep purple that the trucks will be coming into the dealers on 12.15.

I don't know who to believe. Sales people are notoriously clueless. Dealers who have 04 inventory are under pressure to unload that stock before they can get their 05 allotment.

I'd tend to think that when the Nissan web site shows the 05 Frontier as the ONLY one available, and has all the various configuations for builds, then the dealers are getting delivery.

Who know for sure?
    I can't wait too test drive it,I can't wait too sell my chevy s-10 pick up ,the frontier seems too get better gas mi. I had a 89nissan and 93nissan,they both blow away my chevy 01and it has a 4.3in it.The chevy might be the worst truck I ever drove.
    Hey thanks for the info,I'm going too do more info,I hope the price wont be as high as my buliding price was.
    thanks again for the info
    So, I test drove an 05 pathfinder 4x2 tonight. I wanted to experience that 4.0 liter V6 that is going into the Frontier.

Wow!

Like most Japanese engines, the juice is over 3000 rpms. The auto tranny I drove let me keep it in third gear so I could roll in and out of the power band. It being 5:30 in the afternoon, traffic did not allow a real test of the capabilities of the pathfinder. Nevertheless, that engine in the lighter Frontier will just sing!

Some other impressions:

The instrument panel is beautiful at night. A subtle orange backlight is easy on the eyes and offers great feedback to the driver.

The leather wrapped steering wheel is excellent. Grippy bulges at the 10:30 and 2:30 positions. The sitting position was easy to adjust and visibility was great.

Being an LE pathfinder, it was loaded. Leather, DVD, bose sound system, sun roof. I know the Frontier will be more spartan, and probably less refined. According to the reviews though, the NVH in the Frontier is supposedly well dampened.

My appetite has been wetted now.

Can't wait to test drive my next truck!

Come on Nissan!

Interestingly, when I got home after the test drive, a thick envelope from Toyota was in my mailbox. Inside was a full blown pair of brochures on the Tundra and Tacoma. Plus two nice additional, accessory brochures.

Nissan is behind the curve and Toyota is eating up potential customers.
    I hate to say this because I love Nissan trucks, but no extended bed on the CC is a deal breaker for me. I guess it'll be a Tacoma, Colorado, or Dakota now. Any comments?
    Correction ... it'll be a Tacoma. The Colorado and the Dakota don't have the extended bed on the CC either.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I have been test driving everything lately getting ready to buy a new truck. I am waiting for the Frontier (I was also told Dec 15th by two dealers.) The ride on the Tacoma was nice, but the fit-n-finish was not up to par and the engine noise I felt was excessive (although some say it is as quite as a Lexus, I guess a very cheap Lexus). I am hoping the Frontier has more to offer. I also drove the Pathfinder, the engine and drivetrain are outstanding (Toyota beware). Very quick acceleration (much better than the Tacoma, also the will be Frontier is lighter), I would expect a very lively truck. I hope they get this thing out there, there are some very good deals on '04 full size trucks right now.
    Hey everyone,

The positive reviews still keep rolling in! Here is another...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7823&sid=27- 5&n=157
    My south florida nissan dealer called me today. He told me he received a letter from nissan informing them that the frontier has been delayed again until Jan 3, 2005
    And it was being driven by this beautiful woman. I pulled along side of it on HWY-280, my Ranger whizzing to keep up with it. Just as I was trying to get the woman's attention, she nudged the accelerator and rocketed away from me.

No, no, come back! I was moaning.

Honey, honey, wake up. My wife was shaking me to awake from my dream.

Nissan, this is getting serious.

Please roll those Frontiers out to the dealers! I can't take it anymore!!!

:)
  • chileheadchilehead Member Posts: 41
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/10424266.htm?1c

Kind of hard for the Frontier to compete when they don't have any units on the street.

Taco may warrent a serious look....
    NISSAN keeps delaying the release of the frontiers while the competition ,the tacoma is winning truck of the year. Honda is comimg out with a crew cab mid size and Ford is redisgning the sport trac. Nissan is must be having some serious design problems that is draging its feet with there release.It is hard for me to beleive we do not have one person on this board that works at that plant that can leak out some details about WHAT IS GOING ON.
  • rhs7rhs7 Member Posts: 2
    Yes I agree,I fear some problems with the truck must exist or it would have been released already. Another big problem is the dealers are clueless. What kind of company does not inform suppliers when a product will be available?I need a new vehicle by a certain date can I get one or not?Do I have to buy from a different Manufacturer? If Nissan could give a solid date I could make arrangements? The Tacoma is looking better everyday, much less hassles!
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I agree. Does anyone have good or bad experiences adding aftermarket sunroofs? I like the Taco ok, but no sunroof, no leather. I was hoping for LE type amenities.
  • jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_news041215_truckoftheyear- /

Anyone notice that it says in the above MT article that only trucks available for sale to the general public by Jan 1, 2005 are eligible?

Since the Fronty was a contestant, does that mean the Fronty has to be on lots in the next two weeks? Time will tell, but I can tell from numerous postings here and elsewhere, people are getting ansty!

I will wait and test drive the Taco vs. Fronty then make a decision...but the Taco is looking better every day the Fronty is not available!
  • rhs7rhs7 Member Posts: 2
    Interested in reading that full article to find out why the Frontier lost out to the Tacoma.Also looking forward to comparing performance figures between the two.
    nice looking truck!!
    Well I think it's FINALLY official! Pricing for the new 05 Frontier is now posted at Nissannews.com as is a press release stating the 05 is available for sale as of Dec 17th!

Check it out... King Cab price sheet is up as I type, hopefully crew cab prices will be up soon as well! WooHoo!
    About time!

I would be amazed if the dealers actually have stock today though.

I can't believe sales people were saying, "oh, January or February on the Frontier".

Were they really not interested in giving us some hope to wait and decide???

Thats even more amazing.

One thing about the Frontier though, and I'll cross drive the Taco against it, since MT named it Truck of the year, is that I have to deal with a Nissan dealership in order to purchase a Frontier.

In my experience, they are not the best at after sales service, nor is it a pleasant buying experience dealing with them.

I may just get a broker to negotiate between dealerships on my behalf. Its the one part of buying a car I hate, dealing with deceptive people.
  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 50
    Nissan dealers do not make it a pleasant experience. I bought a new Armada a year ago and they pulled out all the tricks and deceptions. And, of course, acted personally insulted when I suggested I get the truck at $1500 over invoice. My advice is to watch the paperwork like a hawk when it comes to signing. If I could buy a new nissan through a toyota dealership, I would.

Anyone have any thoughts on initial price for the Frontier? Will they try and get MSRP for awhile?
    Pricing: Source;

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/news/pricing/05_frontier_pricing- - .pdf

King Cab

XE KC I4 4x2 2.5 Liter I4 M/T 15,500 $

XE KC I4 4x2 2.5 Liter I4 A/T 16,550 $

SE KC V6 4x2 4.0 Liter V6 M/T 18,400 $

SE KC V6 4x2 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 19,450 $

LE KC V6 4x2 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 22,200 $

Nismo KC V6 4x2 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 22,000 $

SE KC V6 4x4 4.0 Liter V6 M/T 21,100 $

SE KC V6 4x4 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 22,150 $

LE KC V6 4x4 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 24,900 $

Nismo KC V6 4x4 4.0 Liter V6 M/T 23,650 $

Nismo KC V6 4x4 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 24,700

Crew Cab

SE CC V6 4x2 4.0 Liter V6 M/T 20,550 $

SE CC V6 4x2 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 21,600 $

LE CC V6 4x2 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 23,900 $

Nismo CC V6 4x2 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 24,050

SE CC V6 4x4 4.0 Liter V6 M/T 23,250 $

SE CC V6 4x4 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 24,300 $

LE CC V6 4x4 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 26,550 $

Nismo CC V6 4x4 4.0 Liter V6 A/T 26,750
  • millarmillar Member Posts: 17
    I was just at my local dealer (MA). They do not expect any Frontiers until the beginning of January at the earliest. None of the salespeople have even been trained on the Frontier yet. This same dealer had an allotment of Titans when they were first released, so I expect they probably will be in the first wave of arrivals for the Frontier as well.