Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I've become quite fond on the Ridgeline's styling. Bob - you're the expert. Is it industrial?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'm not sure by what you mean when you say "industrial?"

Bob
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    how funny, do you normally take Ashlan east and then Academy north to go home?

I saw a white Ridge as I traveled home last week, the only one I have seen so far in Fresno.

Glad you like your Ridgeline. How did it do in the snow the last few days?

John
    bleecch, it looks like my '66 Econoline Pickup.

It beats the Corvair hands down, I can sit in the driver's seat to change plugs.

When the carb needs work, just move over to the passenger's seat.

3 on the tree too. Now the truth is out--there is stiff competition here for looks with the Ridgeline.

John
    I see the Ridgeline's styling (front bumper to windshield) as having been influenced by HD construction trucks with set back front axles.

Bob
    lol and sign me up for one of those combo chrome fuel tank/step up rails for my next Ridgeline.

John
  • shutterbug101shutterbug101 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently drove a Ridgeline and decided it is the truck I want. However, the major drawback is the lack of aftermarket cab-high topper or shell. I contacted two aftermarket dealers in the area and they did not know of one. Anyone else have information on the subject?
    I was serious. I do think Honda drew some inspiration from these kinds of vehicles for their front end styling.

Look at the absolutely in-your-face, upright, flat plane that the International-like Ridgeline's grille is on, and look how the Ridgeline's front fenders are pulled back, much like the International shown here. Plus the wheels are set back, again much like this International with the set back front axle. I really think Honda was trying to capture some of the "big-rig" feeling with their truck. I'm not saying they were totally successful, but I do think that's what they were trying for.

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    I agree. I never would have drew the parallel myself, but I think your assessment is spot-on. The grill/light look of the International is very similar to that of the Ridgeline.

I know I am an odd duck, but I thought that the pickup versions of old '60s vans were far more functional/practical than the pickups themselves. The biggest reason is just that they made such better use of space! Nevermind that they were hideously out of proportion, they were functional. I love my '69 Econoline van, but if it was a pickup version of itself, it would be even more functional than it already is... and all in a very compact package. It is about 2 feet or more so shorter than my standard cab, 8' bed '69 C20 and has just as much cargo and cab space if you forgive the intrusion of the "dog house."

Okay, so I am hopelessly off topic. What were we talking about again?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    A couple observations from an owner of one of these beasts:

1) There is no place for the engine heat to go, except into the cab

2) The speedometer is so far away from the back of the tranny, you have to custom fabricate the cable and guide, this was about $100 5 years ago.

Other than that, you are right.

Interestingly, my E-100 Pickup has a 400 lb cast iron plate bolted underneath the bed between the fuel tank and the bottom of the bed. This is to keep a little bit of weight on the rear end.

Sorry way off topic.

John
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I've seen vans with a custom conversion into pick-up duty. The last one had a fifth wheel in the back for heavy duty towing. I believe it was used for towing horse trailers. Essentially, the front two rows of seats were saved, but the rear of the vehicle had been hacked off to make a pickup bed. A rear wall for the cab was fabricated from diamond plate.
  • teterteter Member Posts: 8
    i am new to this discussion not sure if i am asking a question in the right spot? anyone know how to lift this truck a bit to bet 285s or a bit bigger tire?
  • savvygalsavvygal Member Posts: 3
    Do you or anyone you know tow with the Ridgeline? I have a 2 horse trailer, that when full has a weight of 4600#s. The salesguy said "not a problem". Of course they're going to say that! I do not pull very often and actually, would only be pulling one horse most of the time which brings the weight down to around 3900-4000#s. I will mostly be using this as my daily vehicle. I'm so torn as Toyota has a great deal on the Tundra right now BUT IT"S HUGE.
    What are folks getting for MPG?
    Thanks for the help
    Savvygal
    The Tundra would be the better tow vehicle. The Ridgeline would be the better daily driver.

How often do you tow, and how far? Many (any?) steep hills? If it's not too often, or too far, or too hilly, the Ridgeline would be okay I would think.

Bob
  • savvygalsavvygal Member Posts: 3
    I live in the Hudson River Valley which is fairly smooth with mild hills. I do tow back to Western Mass on occasion, maybe 7 times a year. That trip takes me over the Berkshires on the Mass Pike., still not huge inclines compared to say the Rockies, but my old Chevy truck had to work to go up them. It is an 89 small 8, 1/2 ton that is really just tired. I would most likely make that trip with just 1 horse most of the time. I would like just one vehicle instead of 2. I love the Tundra but I'm a sales gal who is on the road everyday. A big truck just makes it more "work" to go to work.
    Thanks for the input
    Anyone else with thoughts? These Ridgelines are so new around here that I can't find anyone locally to ask.
    What about a Toyota Tacoma? It can tow 6500 pounds, 1500 more than the Ridgeline, and is not as big as the Tundra? Or a midsize SUV like a 4Runner V8? The V8 4Runner would be a very good tow vehicle.

Bob
  • tex8tex8 Member Posts: 12
    HONDA NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT HOW EASILY THE BED SCRATCHES WITH ANY KIND OF CARGO. THE BLACK SURFACE IS SO THIN THE WHITE FIBERGLASS SHOWS UP EVEN WITH MINOR SCRATCHES. I TOUCHED UP MINE WITH TRIM PAINT FROM AUTO ZONE :mad:
  • ridgeowner3ridgeowner3 Member Posts: 27
    Savvygal you should look at the Ridgeline Owners Club for more answers.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    HONDA NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT HOW EASILY THE BED SCRATCHES WITH ANY KIND OF CARGO. THE BLACK SURFACE IS SO THIN THE WHITE FIBERGLASS SHOWS UP EVEN WITH MINOR SCRATCHES

I've heard from a Honda factory worker that motor oil will fix up those scratches. Let us know if it works. Personally I will be using a 4 X 5 foot piece of plywood in the bottom of the bed for those occassions when I haul things that would leave deep scratches. You could paint the plywood flat black and it wouldn't even be noticable.
  • 4wdave4wdave Member Posts: 16
    "how funny, do you normally take Ashlan east and then Academy north to go home?" Yes

"I saw a white Ridge as I traveled home last week, the only one I have seen so far in Fresno.

Glad you like your Ridgeline. How did it do in the snow the last few days?" Not enough snow to notice. I see a woman driving down the hill in a white Ridgeline every day when I'm on my way up.
    While driving slowly through a mall parking lot (waiting to pick up wife), a family was walking nearby and the mother said, "That's one of them Honda trucks that looks like a Cadillac." The husband says, "Honda don't make no god@(!#* truck." Wife says, "I bet you a dollar it's a Honda." He says,"You're on, fool". As she sees the the name of the tailgate, she says "Told ya!", slugs him in the arm, and says,"Pay up!"

So I guess some people think it looks like an Escalade pickup. Someone else asked if it was a new H3 Hummer pickup...
    I've been trying to figure out how to set up the auto door unlock that will unlock all doors when shifted to park. I've done everything that the manual says but only the drivers door will unlock. The dealership says they'll research it.

I thought I was doing it wrong! I have the same problem. Did the dealer figure it out?
  • shortsparkshortspark Member Posts: 2
    I can't figure out the door lock thing either. It should be easy but it won't work. Please let me know what you all come up with.
    It's true. The auto unlock only works on the driver's door and the in bed trunk. I solved this problem by disabling all the doors from locking in any mode, unless I lock them intentionally. This way, I can lock and unlock the truck when and where I want to from within or outside with the key. The auto lock and unlock feature was a nuisance to me and my passengers. :shades:
    I first applied black nail polish to the scratches to cover up the white fiberglass showing thru. I then spray painted over that with the black trim spray paint I found at the Auto Zone store (which was a perfect match to the bed). I like the idea of a 4 x 5 board. Think I''ll pick up a sheet at home depot and have it cut down to five foot lenght. I think I'll get pressed wood or panelling wood instead of ply for the use of the smooth side.
  • roaddog1roaddog1 Member Posts: 18
    How about cutting the board and installing a piano hinge so you can either fold it out of the way of the deck lid or even lift with that lid? I got the same scratches after hauling a tiller and was thinking of getting that industrial look black rubber flooring or even a walk-off mat and just leaving it in all the time.
  • neededatruckneededatruck Member Posts: 5
    Someone needs to come with an after market rubber mat that fits the bed.
  • gasnsteeringgasnsteering Member Posts: 14
    I guess a spray in liner wont work? (LineX, Rhino) If I get one, I want to haul dirt, mulch etc and will be scratching all over the place. It is a pickup.....
  • bcp1bcp1 Member Posts: 21
    I was glad to read your complaint about minor scratchs on the black surface.
    I have had my RTL with moonroof for 2.5 weeks and already have a 8-10inch thin white scratch on the floor. I was really surprised to see how easy it scratched.

Thanks for the tip to get trim paint from auto Zone.

bcp1 :surprise:
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Why wouldn't a spray-in work? Nowadays it seems that the shops can spray just about any part of your vehicle you want. One example- I plan to get the lower half of my Silverado line-x'd with the smoothest finish they have giving me a total two-tone arrival blue over black appearance. Not only will this resist rock chips, scratches, door dings, etc., better than regular paint, but it will look better than the current solid arrival blue paint w/flat black textured moldings, door handles, and mirrors. Another regular on some other forums I visit has already done this to their 99 and it looks pretty sharp (glad to have someone be a guinea pig before I put money down and risk my own ride though :P ).

Anyway, if they can easily do over-the-rail edges or the edge on the center of the bodyline on the Silverado and have both look clean I don't see why they can't accommodate your in-bed trunks and still cover the rest of the painted surface for you.

Seems to me this is one small oversight on Honda's part so far that will affect people using these as trucks, even for general homeowner use. I wouldn't be too surprised to see them make some sort of change in the next model year or two to fix the issue either.
    I dunno what Honda's problem is, but it's starting to look like they hired a poor supplier for their exterior plastics. When the Element was released, they advertised that the plastic fender panels were dent and scratch resistant. It's true that dents don't happen, but the panels scratch very easily. Eventually, Honda removed any references to scratch-resistance from their literature.

It would appear the Ridgeline's bed has the same problem.
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    I wonder how this composite truck bed will hold up in the cold? I see throwing a load of firewood in the back when its about 0 degrees F....

Also how tall is the side of the truck bed? It appears too tall to lean over and pick something up from the bed floor. Lets say like a hammer or some other tools. The new F150 has this problem unless your well over 6' 6" tall. The sides of the bed are just to high.

I did see one at the local Honda dealer when cuising by. It is better looking in person than the pictures.

--jay
    The height of the sides ranges from 16" to about 20" from the floor of the bed. But I think the bed floor is higher than in many other trucks.

If it were my truck, I'd probably take the extra second to toss stuff into the trunk.
    The plastic trim along the exterior bottom edge of the windshield is buckling. It could fill with dirt. It's suppose to snap into place, except towards the middle, the snap does not stay. I will have it replaced when I bring it in for my first free oil/filter change. P.S. I also had to remove both wipers and reposition them below the hood line away from the wind stream. :mad:
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The bed is the same material as the Pro-Tec beds on the Silverado from 01-04. Same supplier too, Meridian Automotive Systems at the Huntington, IN plant.
    The Pro-Tec beds have held up very well in extreme conditions. I would expect the Honda bed to hold up well also.
    The scratching issue is a cosmetic problem, not function. Steel bed will scratch easier than the composite.

As far as throwing firewood in the bed in below zero weather, don't worry, you could throw bricks in it and it may scratch, however, it will not break.
    Thanks. I know a steel bed isn't any better. I just haven't seen so many complaints about scratching with other trucks using composite beds.

Perhaps they have bigger fish to fry. ;)
  • tacoridgetacoridge Member Posts: 17
    When was the last time you used the spare?

To Other Post: I read somewhere you CANNOT put on bigger tires.
    Used the spare on 2/3 of our vehicles in the last month.
    Both of them have temporary use spare. Had to order a replacement tire and this rendered vehicle unusable for anything other than a very short trip.
    Full size spare tires only please!

Spare tire location in the "trunk" of the Ridgeline is fine. There is no perfect location.
  • vtervter Member Posts: 4
    You also have the option of mounting the spare to the inside of the forward section of the bed by using one of the tire tray wingnuts. Gives you more weatherproof storage in trunk if needed.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    What happened to the reviews that referenced Honda's tests that dropped a full payload of rocks into the bed, removed them, and then showed that the bed looked as good as new with no scratches, dents, etc. More false advertising?

I understand that no surface can be 100% impervious to damage, but sure sounds like Honda screwed up given the advertising it did about the benefits of it's composite bed.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I saw the clip with the Bobcat dumping a bunch of rocks into the Ridgeline's bed, but I don't think they ever showed the bed after unloading the rocks. I don't believed Honda ever claimed that the Ridgeline's bed is scratch and dent PROOF, but rather scratch and dent RESISTANT.

Either way it still should perform better than a conventional metal bed that is easy to scratch and rust. After all the bed is designed to be used for hauling all kinds of things, and the only way to keep it brand new is not loading anything in the back.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Not false. Perhaps misleading to the average consumer.
    What happened to the reviews that referenced Honda's tests that dropped a full payload of rocks into the bed, removed them, and then showed that the bed looked as good as new with no scratches, dents, etc. More false advertising?

The surface is impact resistant and dropping a rock or hitting it with a hammer has little effect. Drag a sharp, heavy object across the surface and a scratch is possible, if not likely.

If you don't care for a composite bed, there are other truck choices available with a steel bed.
  • njdevil5njdevil5 Member Posts: 26
    Your other option is to buy a Tonnaeu Cover so you don't have to look at the scratches. Take the cover off only when you need to haul something large.
    I'm also disappointed in the lack of resistance to scratches, but I do think some folks here are missing the point. A scratch in a composite bed will not rust and become a hole.
  • wyowillywyowilly Member Posts: 3
    I started with that option - getting the tonneau cover on as delivered. This tonneau cover is not, I repeat, NOT like the neat one on the Avalanche. I don't see a handy (easy and convenient) way to get the tonneau off the bed completely. Please advise.
    Ridgeline owner in Wyoming
  • guidogguidog Member Posts: 8
    has anyone else investigated having the bed liner sprayed?
  • teterteter Member Posts: 8
    anyone know how big of tire you can put on the ridgeline?
  • jdr63jdr63 Member Posts: 1
    Just got my Ridgeline this past Saturday. I love it so far. Great ride, smooth power, lots of goodies. Got a great deal, about $2000 below Edmunds price for my area.

Question: has anyone had a good experience plugging an iPod into the Aux jack? I used my Bose head phone connector to plug my iPod into the jack, but the sound that played through the stereo system sounded like it was coming out of a tin can. I probably did something very wrong. The owner's manual gives no guidance on this.

Anyone have a good experience they can tell me about? How do you do it right?

--John
  • alowinalowin Member Posts: 1
    Me too. I wanted to buy one till dealer said no aftermarket shell/canopy available.
    Have you found one?
    Thanks
  • guidogguidog Member Posts: 8
    Have you had any luck on the noise from the roof rack. I really would like a roof rack on my Ridgeline. thanks, gg