Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tundra Brakes

kenokenkenoken Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Toyota
I have a 2000 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 with automatic
transmission. When I come to a stop it feels like
the brakes release slightly at the end and there is
a mild thump sound. I called the dealer and they
told me this was normal for Tundra and 4Runner with
automatic transmission. Anyone else had this
experience or have an idea on this. Thanks

Comments

• rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Yes, this is normal. The tranny is down shifting to first gear so when you start out again the tranny is already in the proper gear. I to have never owned an automatic and had this explained to me by my siverado owning neighbor.
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    Yes, it is very obvious that you don't know anything about that Tundra you lay claim to superiority of. Funny how a Silverado owner has to "explain" to you how trucks work and how to use them. I guess it is good that you can adjust valves and change your own oil though.
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    If it does it much, would have it checked out. Maybe you do have a problem. Downshifting with all new autos should be something you don't much notice. My 1999 F-150 never even shudders much less makes any noise. Check it out.
  • eagleeye1eagleeye1 Member Posts: 36
    Did it ever occur to you that maybe Chev owners know more about their trucks because they have to get them fixed all the time? I have 250,000 miles on my Camry now and it still gets great gas milage. No overhauls either just routine service. It is this kind of normal occurance that gives ample reason for the Camry being the number one mid-size seller in the USA today.

You sound like you had some very unfortunate problems with your Toyotas. Based on the extremely high satisfaction rates, most obviously don't.
    Not at all. It just seems from the posts of American owners, that the American truck buying crowd make more informed decisions on their purchases rather than taking magazine articles and other biased sources as what is best. It seems the American auto buyer knows mechanically why one make or design is better in reliability and functionality. The Camry is NOT the #1 midsize seller in the US today. I had a few problems with Toyota's, but nothing that would keep me from buying another one. I have said this before, the Toyota's just aren't any more quality than the domestics. With that up front, why spend more for a car or truck that only has a perceived reliability advantage, not factual today, and also costs more money?

When I purchase a truck or car, I take at LEAST 3-4 months of research before buying. I look at every aspect of the mechanical design, interior layout, safety factors, etc. and I compare them to those of trucks and cars in the same class or category. The best one for the money wins. I personally have not found a better buy for my money than the GM trucks and cars I have owned. That does not say that Toyota or any other make is junk or is necessarily the best buy for the money for someone else. Again, my whole point is that people buy based on preference today. Your preference just happens to include a presumed reliability or quality advantage that disappeared about 10 years ago. That is MY opinion.

I was basically satisfied with my Toyota trucks. Basically good trucks for smaller hauling and towing needs with good gas mileage (at least at the time). The Camry, well no, I wasn't happy, but I too can realize that it was probably just a lemon, which can be found in ALL makes, no matter what the name tag is.
    You should be more careful with your so called facts before you make a fool out of yourself. The Toyota Camry is the number one selling mid-size in the USA and Canada. It has been for several years.

I also disagree with your statement that Toyota products are not of higher quality than domestics. The facts don't bear out your statement.

You sure seem to have an axe to grind Dude. Too bad you can't put that energy to better use.
  • samirpowarsamirpowar Member Posts: 28
    Gotta jump in here....Sorry, but your posts sound like you are begging for our collective acceptance (and not just on Tundra topics). It's pathetic....almost like seeing a grown man cry! Give it a rest.
    I really don't care if you agree with me or not, at least I do my homework. I am sick and tired of a few individuals attempting to feed their collective egos by attacking a great truck. If you have or like or want to buy one of the Big 3 trucks, fine! I really don't care. But don't get on my case for posting corrective (read that accurate) statements.
    Toyota owner statements.....very well "uninformed".
    Did you get those "facts" from "Consumer Reports" also????
    true reports from all you Toyota owners in about 10 years. I want to hear all the complaints you have about $120 dollar starters, $700 valve replacements, $300 timing "belt" replacements, etc.

True colors would shine then. But you know, all these statements about higher quality of Toyota's and this that the other thing, which supposedly is why you paid so much more for the Tundra with less options, most of you won't even keep that Tundra but 3 years when the lease is up and you will go lease another. Reliability and quality never tested. There are a LOT more domestic truck buyers that buy their trucks with the intention of keeping them 10 or more years. The story I get from Toyota owners is that they don't plan on keeping it longer than the 3 year lease anyway. Good thing that Tundra is so much more reliable.

"In all my GM owning days, over 16 years, I have NEVER been stranded by any of my GM vehicles, NEVER! Both Toyota Tacomas left me walking when the head gaskets failed, both before 40k miles!

Hmmmmmm!
  • andygandyg Member Posts: 12
    If you have been driving GM products for 16 years
    and never been stranded, then you have to be the luckiest sob alive or the biggest liar! The surgeon general says that large amounts of bud light will kill many brain cells.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    I'm sorry, I just don't understand the thread. Is Toyota using GM brakes on Tundras? Or is GM putting Toyota brakes on the Sierra?
    Well since you are so much smarter than I am, why not share with us here all your infinite knowledge of the Tundra mechanicals. I want details! Exactly what was your informed and intelligent reasons, mechanically, for buying the Tundra? Do you even know ANYTHING about the design characteristics of your truck??? Did you inquire at all about them before you bought??? What advantages does the Tundra have in it's mechanical design for you to make claim to higher reliability of a truck that has been out a whopping 8 months???

Or are you just like every other Toyota owner that buy's based on magazine survey's and reports like the all too biased 'Consumer "Import" Reports' and knows absolutely nothing about what you just bought?

Yeah, just what I thought. BTW: When is that 3 year lease up on your Tundra? I am sure you will be putting that leased car-truck to it's real test now won't ya..........?
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    bud light dude, can you give the holier-than-thou attitude a rest. Your starting to sound like a broken record in all of the Tundra topics. Do you have some kind of inferiority complex or what?
    I DON'T OWN A TUNDRA! right now i'm driving a 94
    Ford Lightning. Well designed, dependable truck.
    I'm trying to study up on the tundra but it's hard
    to do when i come across asinine posts like yours.
    GM makes great LOOKING cars and trucks but have the fit and finish and durability of JUNK. I know
    from experience. I'll say it again, if you have never been stranded in 16 years of GM bliss then don't bother with the lottery because you have already used up all your luck.
  • pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    So, BLD, tell me, do you know the archetectural advantages of the computer that you are using, or the VCR that you bought. Perhaps you know the clear cut advantage of the water facet you have in your house.

What is your point, that you have to be a mechanic to buy a car? Does that mean you have to be an electrical engineer to buy a desk lamp? So are you implying that only people with mechanical aptitude buys GM trucks? Considering the millions of GM trucks out there, I doubt if they were all bought buy people who considered it's mechanical advantages.

Yes, I used to be a working mechanic, and yes I can tell you why I bought my truck, but my truck is one small piece of my life, I drive it and I like it. If you want to know all the reasons (mechanical and otherwise) you can e-mail me. I've taken enough room on a dumb line of logic.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Mechanical ability SHOULD be a requirement for GM owners. They will probably need it.
    No....I don't claim to know everything about the products I buy. However, I don't come to product message boards and post "STUPID" claims that I can't 100% back up with facts like the Toyota owners here are.

You Toyota owners are hilarious. You claim all this superiority and reliability advantage about a truck you have no clue, mechanically, if it is actually advantageous or not! You all read a few magazine articles and go off a Toyota reputation of reliability advantage that diminished 10 years ago as your only source of info. What idiocracy!

"IF" the owners posting here today have their Tundra's 10 years from now, and most will trade off when their 3 year lease is up, I think honest reports will show a much more dismal report than what is being posted today. I don't need to justify my purchase. I KNOW I made the right choice. Again, two Tacoma's in 3 years time left me walking home. In 16 years of GM truck AND car ownership, I have never been left walking. My GM's have been way more reliable. Lets see....16 GM years with no major breakdowns. 3 Toyota years and 2 major breakdowns. Yep, them Toyota's are much better buy's for my money????!

Glad you are so psychic on your 8 MONTH OLD TUNDRA! Gee, I bet your making money left and right seeing the future in the stock market, huh?

andyg: I am not going to knock the Fords. You still have not adressed the mechanical questions I asked. If GM trucks are junk, explain why in a factual statement of mechanical design comparison. If you can't, then you are making foolish and very stupid statements about GM products. Even if you have had bad experiences with GM, I can tell you of plenty with Ford too. I have had bad experiences with Toyota also. However, I am not going to bad mouth them because of it. Mechanically, there is very little difference between the makes of like design trucks.

BTW andyg, from 89 - 98, GM had far less reported problems in the form of recalls & service bulletins. Ford late model trucks have loads of problems with their engines and transmissions, and steering. None of those problems with GM.

Say what you want, GM may sell fewer trucks than the other domestics, but that just shows that GM owners hold on to their trucks longer. Must be that inferior reliability and quality that you speak of, huh?
  • samirpowarsamirpowar Member Posts: 28
    Whose time are you on when you post such long winded, defensive, repetitive replies? Not your employers, I hope. Please, go some where else (actually, you are everywhere), but leave these Tundra topics alone. Please!
  • bigboy3bigboy3 Member Posts: 22
    I am curious. You continue to criticize people in all of the Toyota topics about about using Consumer Reports for reference. I cannot think of a better source to get long term reliable information from than an organization that polls millions of Americans on their real life experiences with automobiles and other products. They have no reason to be biased in their analysis. They allow no advertising in their publications , nor do they allow companies to use their name for endorsements. The information they gather is much more than you or me could ever compile in our own experiences, whether they be good or bad. The trends in years past have been that the import cars & trucks are more reliable and retain better resale value. The most recent results have not shown any change from this pattern. Although the domestics have improved on their quality (thanks to the imports)they still have some improvements to make.
    I knew it was a mistake to ring your bell but i could't help it but i'm through conversing with you.You and a few others are on a mission to disrupt all these tundra topics and make it hard for people to get the FACTS on this truck. I'm not interested in your opinion or anybody elses, just the the real facts and experiences from these guys that have already purchased this truck.
    Well, 'Us All Toyota Owners' is a pretty gross generalization. However, given that, IMHO, reliability and quality is a subjective aspect. Just like we may differ in thinking black trucks are better than white trucks.

I think we can both agree that our scales of quality are different, you may see quality in a vehicle in it's engineering, and someone else may see it in it's performance.

Reliability is the same thing. Anybody who thinks a vehicle line make 100% perfection is un-realistic. If Toyota makes 100K vehicles, and 1% (which would be incredibly low) are 'bad', then there will be at least 1000 pissed off Toyota owners. The amount that they are pissed off really depends on how much or less control they feel about the situation (how they are treated by the Toyota service). I build software for a living, and can tell you that you can release software that will break. But if the user feels like the problems are being addressed, and they see progress in answering their concerns, they will percieve the product as being reliable.

Maybe some of what you are seeing is two folds (given that everybody has owned a bad car in one time of their lives): #1 GM makes a TON of cars/trucks. By shear numbers, they will have a larger number of problems. #2 When Toyota owners have a problem, they have been treated better than the same problem with a GM vehicle. I don't know how long you've been using computers, but remember Windows 2.0 (or even Windows For Workgroups 3.11)?
    Hey Bobby Joe,

I guess that means that the 2000 Siverado isn't a 'Full Sized' either, since the standard cab standard bed Silverado has a shorter shorter wheelbase than the standard cab standard bed Tundra.

I guess the GM factory is keeping this truth under it's hat.

Good luck with that one, the truth on that one is coming out.
    By the way, why am I wasting so much space on this lame line of thought on a topic labeled 'Tundra Brakes'? My appologies, I will take it over to Tundra vs Big3.
    By the way, why am I wasting so much space on this lame line of thought on a topic labeled 'Tundra Brakes'? My appologies, I will take it over to Tundra vs Big3.
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    Have you ever met zbad71, or unixgod? They like to fight too.
    I have seen some of their posts and yes, I think the people behind those logins are a bit radical, but I could see some reasoning in a lot of the posts.

I know what you are thinking. I just responded to a post in another topic where it was assumed I was one of those people. I am not. I don't know where anyone would think I am. I think that under the hostile circumstances that the Tundra owners have put us domestic owners in, I have been fairly civil. Remember, I did not start the arguments here or elsewhere. I only responded to all the bashing and very uninformed posts of the Tundra owners. First I was polite and asked that they respect me, then it turned to retaliation. I am no longer responding to the non adult behavior of Tundra owners and anyone else who joins in.

I know I have the best truck "for me" and that is all that matters. My only purpose for being here from now forward will be to weed through all the crap and stupidity of the Tundra owners posts and try to get some kind of true and possibly factual information somewhere about the Tundra and trucks in general (what we all should be here for)

Sorry to disappoint you as well, but I am not any of the mentioned members, i.e. zbad, etc.
    I am a Cisco Network Tech in Kansas. I respect when I am respected. If that equates me to whomever you say I supposedly am, then so be it. Really makes no diff to me.
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    I believe you. It was just that when I heard the aggressive response (I did not read the post you were responding to) I immediately remembered the another poster who was an ex millitary man who also mentioned having head gasket problems on a Tacoma and was a network engineer. I am completely done arguing, it looses its appeal and ruins this forum.
    I agree, arguing and bashing wastes time and space here. I have folded on most accounts. I don't have time to keep fighting a losing battle.
    I was in the Marines. I was a Voice Tech. What about this other guy? What branch and what did he or she do?

As for the Toyota's, I have owned "two" Tacomas and a Camry. I had some problems, but I am not going to whine about them to everyone and claim Toyota is a bad product. Owned many many Chevy truck. Never been left stranded. Never owned Ford or Dodges, but have driven many. In Kansas, most pickup truck owners are either wheat and corn Farmers or work some sort of construction. I am an exception, but drive about an hour 1 way to work in the city. In any case, living in the area I do, I have had opportunity to drive and be around all trucks imaginable, except the Tundra. I only see a one every so often in the predominately city areas.

As for my job, I am not an engineer. I am a Cisco Network "Technician" and I just started doing that recently. I worked on a large volume "Computer Help Desk" before that. I have 1 class to complete my BS Degree in Telecommunications. I don't think I could make the grades to be an Engineer, wouldn't enjoy the work if I could. I do my own consulting work for networking and some computer os and hdwr repairs, installs,etc. I also cut and sell firewood, mow lawns and other odd jobs as I can during the summer too. Anything related to ZBAD or whoever??

What else do you want to know about me without getting too open here???

These other guy's still seem to think I an not legit. I guess it may be good that they continue wondering in a way.
  • bigboy3bigboy3 Member Posts: 22
    Waiting on response from you on post #22.
    What is there to respond to. You state your "opinion" that CR is not biased and uses facts. Fine. If you are fooled to bliss with the results, more power to you. I have my own opinion why one should take ALL magazine reports, including CR with a grain of salt and definitely not to use them for sole buying considerations at any degree. But I am not writing any more books for you Toyota lovers anymore. You Toyota owners have displayed very little knowledge about the design or mechanics of your purchase and can't factually argue any real advantages to my satisfaction.

Why should I continue arguing the reliability points with you when "Toyota Owners" don't even know about the design advantages or disadvantages of your trucks anyway?

Keep reading your consumer reports magazine. I am sure if nothing else, the warm fuzzies you get from all the bs will keep that reliable truck the best on the road, even if only in the Toyota owner's eyes.

Hope you "don't" ever have to repair your Toyota. CR doesn't speak of the more than 30-50% higher cost of imports parts and the fact that many times, those costly parts for the imports are made at the same facilities as the domestic parts, like starters for instance! 30-50% more, depending on the part, just because it goes on an import.....same manuf......same quality and reliability.....same warranty. Yeah, I can't wait to pay more money for the same part again. Only a fool would see that as an advantage.

"Good luck on this one now".
    Your inane posts don't even deserve a response, but here goes....Nah, not worth the trouble.
    That's fine too. Must be that you "don't" have any real knowledge of your trucks and you "can't" really respond.

Keep reading the CR. I am sure you will have another "fact" to state that will give all the Toyota owners even more "warm fuzzies". I guess you need all the warm fuzzies you can get to make you feel better about the lack of "green monies" in your wallet because you overpaid for your truck.

Good luck on this one now.
    I've never claimed to be reading Consumer Reports. You've got me confused with someone else. What's with the "warm fuzzies" in your previous post? Regarding price, I paid at least $2000 less for my Tundra than for a comparable Chevy that I looked at. If you don't believe me, then just compare the prices here at Edmunds. I know, I know, no amount of facts are going to change your mind.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    It should be "TOYOTA BREAKS"

Arkie6 - Cost of Tundra VS Silverado. I am sure you can find Silverado's with higher MSPR's than some Tundra's but you need to recognize many of the Chevys have options on them that Toyota does not even offer. Autotrac, locking differential, sportside bed. If you compare like trucks they are about the same MSRP. You are full of it if you see $2,000 difference. Please post the example for me. Chevy dealers are more willing to reduce the price - close to invoice most of the time, and in my experience are willing to pay much more for your trade. The net amount you pay to buy a Silverado (F-150 or Ram) will be less that what you paid for your Tundra.. and IMO get much more truck for a smaller price.
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    If Consumers Reports started to rate the Chevys better you know who would be reading CR.
  • cskalacskala Member Posts: 23
    Must be able to read first 8')

(And I know reading isn't high on the USMC's recruitment requirement. Just following your officers orders!)
    Price difference between 2000 Toyota Tundra Access Cab V8 SR5 4x4 and 2000 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab LS 4x4 was $1,992 more for the Chevy based on the features I wanted in a truck.

Here are the details and the numbers were obtained from both Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book. All numbers are MSRP. I had to estimate the price for the Chevy 4th door option since I could not find it listed, I used $300 MSRP, which I think is conservative based on estimates of $300-$500 here on Edmunds. The Toyota does not have standard ABS, which I did not want and did not want to pay for, the Chevy has it standard, but you are paying for it anyway. The Chevy LS with the 4.8L V8 does not have comparable performance to the Tundra with the 4.7L (I drove them both, no comparison). The Chevy with the 5.3L is comparable (Tundra is still quicker than the Chevy w/5.3, but probably due to lower weight) , so this option was added to the Chevy. Here are the features selected for both vehicles (some are standard on one make and an option on the other and some are included in various packages. Some features listed also require you to get additional options, like P265 tires on the Chevy requiring an optional suspension package): Automatic transmission, Power windows and door locks, Cruise Control, Power mirrors, Trailering/Towing package, Fog Lights, Skid Plates, Aluminum Wheels with P265/16 tires and black wheel mouldings. The numbers I came up with were $28,554 for the Tundra or $29,189 if you include the ABS. For the Chevy 3 door, it was $30,881, or $31,181 if you use $300 for the 4th door option. This translates to a difference of $1992.

I agree that Chevy does offer more do-dads than the Toyota, but Toyota offered what I needed/wanted.

I was able to get my Tundra for $500 over invoice. I suspect the Chevy with the 4th door (is it even available yet?) will be in high demand and most people would be lucky to get it for much less than $500 over invoice.

Plus, if you get the Chevy, you probably ought to look at getting that extended warranty to bring up to par with the Toyota standard warranty.

There you go z71bill, fire away.
    Well, say what you wish about the branches of military. Each of them have provided an integral part to protecting the country you spit on with your ignorant statement. Slamming the USMC is the same as disrespecting the very country that pampers your sorry [non-permissible content removed] with a democratic society. The USMC as well as the other bretheren of the military has a solid history of fighting very diligently to protect pukes like you.

Even if the USMC can't read, which if you actually knew better, you would know that their requirements are the same in all areas of discipline, they still are owed more respect than you deserve, you slob!
    I won't argue with you about your preferences in truck, which is all subjective to your individual need and wants, but when you try and state that the Silverado is more expensive and less reliable, your ignorance shows.

Even if the Silverado was 2k MORE than the Tundra, which it factually IS NOT, the cost of total ownership is much higher on the Toyota's. Regardless of this false sense of reliability advantage you Toyota owners "think" you have, your Tundra WILL break, just as any truck will. "WHEN", NOT IF, you have to replace parts, your Tundra will suck you dry of the green stuff as everything that goes on an import is 30-50% higher in cost, just because it is an import. Don't try and deny it, because I know from experience. A starter for a 93 camry, made in the exact same plant as one for a comparible 93 GrandAm, the same parts are used, and the one for the camry is $120.00 "REBUILT", while a "brand new one" for the GrandAm is $40. Both carry the exact same warranty, etc. Initial cost is not the only consideration here.

Good luck on this one now.
  • cskalacskala Member Posts: 23
    Just a little inter-service ribbing. If you're a true marine you've heard it all before... I'm 16 years and still serving....proudly. I'm the guy that airdropped you into Ft Benning, Camp Lejeunne, an made you hurl(toss your boxed lunch) on the low level into Thailand :)

Hoo Yah!
    Ok. If you read back many posts ago, I was the one who came here peacefully and tried to keep the peace, only to have my truck choice slammed and be disrespected by a bunch of trash talking Tundra owners. Since then, it has been a fight.

I would rather come to these topics and just talk trucks...all trucks. Problem is, every time I turn around, someone is making a dumbass remark about either someones truck choice that happens to be the same as mine, or something like the remark you made. You can't expect me to take it as normal "ribbing" when I have had all the swings taken at me here.

There were many times I was very thankful to have airwing suport to come and get my tired butt. I have no problem with the other branches of the military, nor anyone here on these sites if everyone would just show a little bit of respect.

It all has to start somewhere. Who wants to start the civil trend? I am very used to fighting, but peace is much more preferred.
    You took the trouble to write a long post but did not say very much. Please let me know what options you got on your Tundra and I will be able to respond. Your upgrade to the 5.3L (285 HP) Vs the 4.8 (270 HP ?) is worth $700. Your Tundra has what 240 HP? This is BS. The tire upgrade on the Silverado to the 265 75 is not even available on the Tundra - They do have a 265 70, which as you can tell is a smaller tire. Maybe we will never be able to do an exact comparison, but I think I can get close.

The problem I would have is how to account for the fact that the Tundra has the tranny, differential and transfer case from the compact Toyota. The Silverado does not offer the S-10 tranny option rebate so we will have to guess on what this is worth. Since you feel it is required to add the value of the 4th door on the Sivlerado maybe you could also estimate the value of a larger cab, usable back seat, larger /deeper bed & more towing capacity and better fuel mileage for me.

I look forward to your post -
    Wow! Good post. That has to sting some.
    Toyota 2000 Tundra Access Cab SR5 V8 4x4 #7828 with the following options: CQ, CK, AL, DZ, LF, CF, and DH. List price was $28,854.

Regarding the tires, I selected the largest tire option available, 265s vs. the smaller 245s. There ain't much difference between P265/70 and P265/75.

Regarding HP, you can believe Chevy's published HP ratings if you want, but the standard 4.8L in the Chevy extended 4x4 is not nearly as quick as the Tundra extended cab 4x4 with the 4.7L. The 4.7L beats the Chevy 4.8L in torque and it had the same torque as the 99 5.3L (315 lbs, 2000 5.3L now 325 lbs torque). By the way, the Tundra 4.7L is 245 HP in all states but CA.

Regarding the statement that the Tundra uses the Tacoma transmission, transfer case, and differential; I don't believe that to be the case, but I haven't had time to prove otherwise. The only other place that I have seen that mentioned is by rubluetoo, and we know what little credibility he has.

To BLD, in my earlier post, I never knocked the Silverado's reliability. All that I said was that it's warranty doesn't match the Tundra (Tundra drivetrain warranty: 5 years/60,000 miles. Chevy drivetrain warranty: 3 years/36,000 miles.)

Boy, we have really strayed from this topic, Tundra Brakes. This discussion needs to be moved over to Tundra vs. Big 3.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    The information on Tundra using the T100 transmission, and Tacoma transfer case comes from 4-Wheeler Magazine "Pickup Truck of the Year" issue.

And while you are correct about the Chevy drivetrain warranty not matching the Tundra, you should note that the Body Rust Through warranty on Chevy is much longer than Toyota.

Back to Big 3 now?
    Check the facts on the Tundra tranny, transfer case and rear differential - you will find out they are straight from the compact Toyota parts bin. So I guess the truth is you paid $26,000 for a compact Truck with a V8 engine. Fact is you could have bought a full size Ford, Dodge or Chevy for the same $$ and not had any of the major components from the Ranger, Dakota or S-10. I am surprised Toyota did not high light these facts in their advertising. (Given the great reliability of the Tacoma). But then maybe some people would be a little concerned if they new their "full size" truck used compact sized parts.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I think your characterization is a little bit unfair, since a few parts, like the 4L60E automatic transmission, are used on the S10 and Silverado 1/2 ton.

Even so, the circumstances are different, in that the 4L60E was a downward descendant from a V8 application, to the 4.3L V6, which is just a 350 with two cylinders chopped off.

Toyota went the other direction, from the V6 to the V8, so it is fair to ask; for which application did Toyota design for?
This discussion has been closed.