Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• Options
    johnmajohnma Member Posts: 1
    George,
    Where did you hear that the modification was coming in 2007 models.
    I'm in the market now and will probably hold off if I know that is the case.
  • Options
    whaleyawhaleya Member Posts: 28
    Maybe the issue isn't if cylinder-deactivation will significantly increasing the mpg for the Ridgeline but that you could market cylinder-deactivation as a feature and not say what the exact saving are.

Many people would assume that if not all the cylinders are firing there is a big fuel savings, even if the savings are small the marketing potential is big

Just a thought.
  • Options
    free2ride90680free2ride90680 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2006 Ridgeline and they are now offering 7 yr 120,000 mile warranty. I think they are trying to match other warranties.
  • Options
    grandaddiograndaddio Member Posts: 1
    I would like to hear from any Ridgeline owners out there that have actually towed trailers 3500-5000 lbs with this truck... what kind of terrain, gas mileage, issues, complaints, etc. We are considering this truck, but want to make sure that it will tow with some respectable confidence. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    free2ride90680free2ride90680 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2006 Ridgeline PU. I'm a single female and do lots of repairs etc around my house, the Ridgeline was the only thing that came close to what I wanted and still fits it the garage!! I'm also a power freak and love the pickup the truck has for as heavy as it is. And praise Honda for the dual action tail gate!!
  • Options
    4wdave4wdave Member Posts: 16
    At 11k miles I got the "needs oil change" message -- plus it says I need to change the VTM-4 fluid. I can see the drain and fill holes, but nothing in the owner's manual tells how to change the fluid. Anyone else had to do this yet? :confuse:
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    When was the big day? - Robr2

Baby girl
    September 15th.
    6 lbs 5 oz.

and thanks!
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    its kind of a pain. You need to drain it, reinstall drain plug, then fill through the fill plug using some sort of rigged up system like rubber tubing and squeezing the fluid up in there through the tube.

We found it MUCH easier just to pay the dealer $50 to do it. The fluid itself isn't that cheap from the dealer, so I think something like only $15-$20 of that $50 was labor. Well worth it to me.

By the way, as long as you aren't driving HARD miles, it can be changed at 15k, then every 30k after that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    hub123hub123 Member Posts: 1
    Everything I read says 3/36K. Can anyone confirm the 7/120K ?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Don't forget to spoil her!!

Congrats again.
  • Options
    tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Why would you even want a diesel right now. Diesel costs about 30 cents more than premium around here. I can't imagine the mileage benefit of a diesel (if any with such an aero dynamic wonder as a truck) would come close to offsetting the extra cash you'd being paying for the diesel at the pump.

Not to mention how loud and stinky those things are.

No thanks.
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    yep, you have correctly assessed the current generation of diesels in the US.

However, I think you will be surprised at what is coming.

The euro diesels are quieter than gasoline engines, more powerful, and about 30% more efficient.

The new technology shoots multiple microjets of diesel into the cylinder, so that there isn't a loud "knock". This technique also reduces emissions, and captures more horsepower from the fuel.

Honda is no fool and their diesels will be quite impressive.

John
  • Options
    tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Yes, I WILL be surprised if the next generation of diesels meets any of those lofty targets. When they do, and diesel fuel is actually sold at a reasonable price, I would consider a diesel.

Those are all still very big IFs.

I read Car and Driver too so I have heard of (at least some of) the advances being made in the diesel engine.

Bring them on, but until they are here its just pipe dreams, like fuel cells and hydrogen powered cars. Some day.
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Enginges have more torque and are 30% more efficient. But the fuel costs over $1 per gallon more in the upper midwest (SD, MN and WI). Regular unleaded is around $2.20 to $2.40 with diesel prices around $3.40 to $3.70. Ouch.
  • Options
    fuel prices are an issue. Partly, it is the chicken and egg syndrome. Demand isn't there, so refiners make gasoline instead of diesel.

But recall 20-30 years ago, diesel was cheaper. It isn't that the cost to make diesel is incredibly more than gasoline.

BTW here in California diesel and gasoline are about the same price. Probably because we can't get diesel cars here and there isn't the fuel demand (so price is lower than elsewhere in US).

John
  • Options
    of why Honda is grabbing the bull by the horns:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/insiders/0510/26/0auto-361111.htm

Honda will be left behind if they don't go this way.

John
  • Options
    "Honda will be left behind if they don't go this way.

Maybe... Maybe not.
  • Options
    very interesting.

Seems like a CV transmission would work well with this engine.

John
  • Options
    That may be why they are hinting at using in the hybrids. The CVT would allow it to run at a more or less steady RPM. And the electric motor would be able to compensate for low and high rpm needs. At low rpms, when the idle is roughest, they could shut down the gas motor and run on electric power alone. At high rpm, the motor could provide the extra boost which the gas engine might not be able to provide.

Okay, back to the Ridgeline.
  • Options
    silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    Does anyone know if a standard valve stem will work on a Ridgeline alloy wheel? I am in the process of making a full size spare for my 06 RTS and need to know if I will need to purchase a TPMS valve stem or can I just use a standard rubber one.
  • Options
    1buckxj1buckxj Member Posts: 3
    Just finished reading all the post, sure was a lot of good info. I'm considering the ridgeline in the next six months. Most of the questions I had have been answered. One question I do have, has to do with the payload and size of the bed. I'm a new home owner and plan on doing a lot of landscaping which will include loads of topsoil from the local land fill. My old S-10 had a 8' bed and a load of topsoil would fill it front to back side to side and mounded up. I know the ridgeline can handle the load but I'm wondering about the size of the bed. Has anyone filled their bed with a cubic yd. of topsoil?
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    This link (towards the bottom) gives you the bed dimensions:

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2140?mid=2005011039339&mime=asc

Also keep in mind that the Ridgeline is the only mid-size pickup that can lay 4x8 plywood flat on the floor, as there's 49.5" between the wheelwells. That's handy if you're into building stuff around your house.

Total vehicle payload is 1,550 and change, and the bed payload is 1,100. One thing you might also consider is getting a Class II 5 x 8 utility trailer to handle the large "volume" of top soil.

Bob
  • Options
    1buckxj1buckxj Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the quick reply, sorry, I should have also said I was familar with the dimensions. I was just curious if anyone has filled their bed with dirt. The local landfill loads your truck with a bucket loader and one scope is about 1 cubic yd. I'm not really interested in getting a trailer. The other truck I have been looking at is the Tundra with the longer bed. I'm really hoping that the Ridgeline will fit the bill for me though since I won't be making that many trips to the land fill. I still have about 6 months to make up my mind and maybe the 07 models will be out by then.

Pete
  • Options
    I would think the Tundra would be better suited for carrying top soil. It's also a heavier duty vehicle than the Ridgeline.

Bob
  • Options
    kilarney1kilarney1 Member Posts: 1
    I am a new Ridgeline owner and one of the things that I do not like about the truck is the noticeable lack of power, especially on hills. The gears are always shifting to keep up. This heavy truck really needs a bigger, badder engine. Does anyone know of an available chip, air intake,......, anything that will add more horses and/or low end torque?
  • Options
    phastphil1phastphil1 Member Posts: 24
    If you don't want the TPMS system to work on the spare use a rubber stem. If you want the TPMS system to work, then you will have to get the valve/sensor assy.
  • Options
    chris123chris123 Member Posts: 2
    I am a contractor and I was just wondering if the Ridgeline was like a real truck? is it powerful enough to haul heavy things in the bed? Is there any ladder racks for the Ridgeline? I have noticed the back fenders were you would screw in a ladder rack are not level.
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Depends what you plan to haul and how much.

It's a real truck alright, 1100lbs payload capacity, 5000lb towing capacity, unibody construction for smooth ride with a fused in truck frame for truck strength.

It's a good all around truck if you plan on using it as a daily driver/family vehicle and as a work truck.

What are you planning on using it for?

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    chris123chris123 Member Posts: 2
    Well I am hoping ply wood and sheet rock fit in the bed, 4x4's, shingles, cement, windows.
  • Options
    The Ridgeline is not aimed at the contractor market, but rather the homeowner who occasionally needs a truck. From what you've described, I would think a HD 3/4-ton or 1-ton domestic truck would best suit your needs.

Having said that, yes, the Ridgeline will handle plywood, sheet rock (it has 49.5" between the bed wheelwells), etc. I just don't know that I would subject it to that kind of usage on a daily basis. Like most mid-size (and full-size 1/2-ton) pickups, it's more of a "lifestyle/recreational" truck, than a "work" truck.

Bob
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Plywood, Sheet Rock, Shingles, ATV's, Cement and Windows, are not appropriate to a 1/2 ton? :surprise: Well, OK, if you tried to haul all of them at one time maybe.
    A truck is made for work. Ridgeline can handle all of the above.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Ridgeline Production Slashed
    Demand softer than predicted.
  • Options
    Plywood, Sheet Rock, Shingles, ATV's, Cement and Windows, are not appropriate to a 1/2 ton?

I didn't say that. What I said was most people who by 1/2-tons these days use them more as recreational-use vehicles. Most people who haul that sheet rock, etc., on a regular basis buy HD pickups.

Bob
  • Options
    Well, I see only one reason why the Ridgeline would not be an appropriate truck for contractor work. It's pricey.

The payload, width of the bed, size of the cab, and other factors make it a very good choice for someone who needs to haul supplies and a few guys to a job site.

But I would not recommend the Ridgeline if the truck is meant to be used exclusively for this purpose. As the Mopar's article suggests, the incentives used on other trucks allows you to buy them far cheaper than the Ridgeline. If all you need is a mule, get a mule. The Ridgeline excels at providing basic truckish functionality, while also serving as a great family vehicle. If the family-friendly aspects are not needed, buy the el-cheapo mule.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    just like i thought. had to take a lot of grief, but it looks like it comes down to the 'ridge had more flash than substance. it is not a good looking vehicle either which does not help. sorry, it's just the reality of the situation.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    It's more flash, than substance is not quite correct. I own a Ridgeline and bought it for the basic proposes it was made for. Someone who wants the comfort of a sedan ride and the light duty use of a truck. I know, I'll never haul a 1/2 ton of plywood, sheet rock or gravel. But I will use it to make a run to Home Depot or the garbage dump. Plus I'll use it to haul my family camping or up to the ski slopes. It has more than enough power to do what I need. I had a Toyota 4x4 for 16 yrs and put 190,000 on it. When it got totaled by a red light runner, I went out looking for a new truck. All the america brands had their problems, just like Toyota, Nissan and Honda. I spent 9 months looking and test driving each truck on the market. Yea, the Ridgeline is pricey, but for the price, I get a 5 star crash test truck, side curtain air bags, 4 wd drive and all the other nice comforts of a sedan ride, but in a truck. It fits my needs and functions as a homeowner and family man. So if your in construction or need to tow something over 5,000 lbs, or to haul around a 1/2 ton of tools and stuff, get a Ford, Chevy or a Dodge. Again the Ridgeline is a light duty truck and designed for someone who doesn't need a full size truck. Plus it gets better mileage that the others.
  • Options
    gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    Right on bob. I have owned mine since March. A quality vehicle that comes with everything. Flash? Flash is a $5-6k rebate in order to sell a vehicle.
  • Options
    cjo87cjo87 Member Posts: 35
    The Ridgeline looks like it might be the perfect truck for my needs - weekend projects, camping, light duty, etc. However, I am concerned about the bed being too short. Has anyone hauled 8 ft lumber in the bed? Some would have to hang out - does this put any additional strain on the back end, with weight hanging off the tailgate?
  • Options
    tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    He said in referrenced article Honda would not join the incentive wars to jump-start Ridgeline sales.

this is half truth. Honda did have the $1000 incentive to dealers going on now.

I guess he means the $10000 us automakers take off.

This happened to the 95 little Honda Odyssey. It was nice, well built but small compared to domestics pricey and failed to ever sell. The Sienna in 98 opened the flood gates on US demand for a quality minivan with bigger size. I Odyssey in 95-96 one and resale was OK but not great. Trading it in 97 was next to impossible--private sale to honda lover. Honda's first entry in minivan led to now popular odyssey. I guess the Ridgeline was a test of the waters. I like it. I do feel that they could not have picked a worse time to introduce it with gas prices so high.

MPG. I did manage a fine 10.6 gallons for the 217 miles I drove this week. I will admit I was driving like miss daisey to get this. Driven hard 15 mpg like consumer reports says looks average. But to know a weeks worth of commute can yield slightly over 20 mpg is promissing. I hope break in and full synthetic make 21-22 on a trip possible.
  • Options
    Wait for the break in. I have 8k miles and get 17 city and 22 hwy.
  • Options
    I haven't hauled any heavy stuff yet but regarding the tailgate Honda says:

"the heavy-duty tailgate has one of the industry's strongest tailgates with a 300-pound dynamic load capacity."
  • Options
    As noted above, the tailgate has a dynamic 300 pound capacity. We have footage of the designer claiming that it is the strongest in the industry (at the time of development).

The reasons for this is that Honda expected buyers to use the Ridgeline to haul things like their ATV and trail bikes. Those items are long enough that the rear wheels would be resting on the gate while the vehicle bounced around on dirt roads.

So, yes, as long as you secure it properly, there's no reason why it wouldn't work for hauling lumber.
  • Options
    With the tailgate down you have around 7' or so length. As with any short-bed pickup, you need to be sure everything is tied down securely. You don't want to leave your load on the road at a stoplight (I've seen that happen).

Bob
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    a 300 pound tailgate capacity? I had to search quite a bit to find what other mfgs have. One site (Advanced Technology Program) listed the Silervado from 600 to 1000 lbs depending on model. The composite one had the 1000lbs capacity. 600lbs is standard.

Considering a midsized ATV has a dry base weight of 715 lbs. (Polaris Sportsman 500cc).... maybe a trailer is a better idea.
  • Options
    Well, you raise a good point. It's unclear from the link you posted if they are talking about dynamic capacity of static capacity. Prior to working for Honda, Gary Flint (the designer I cited) worked for GM developing trucks. So I gotta figure he knows what the Chevys can do. It's been a while since I listened to the video clip (it's at TOV), but I believe Honda claims the Ridgeline will carry Honda largest ATV.

As far as the claim is concerned, it's possible he was talking about comparisons with other trucks in the same class (mid-size). Although the Ridgeline's payload makes it a half-ton pick-up, it does not compete directly with vehicles like the F-150 and Silverado.
  • Options
    the real Ridgeline has incredible (for a pickup) advances in AWD, IRS, handling, and safety.

But I agree the woeful timing of high gas prices and employee pricing on other trucks has greatly cut sales.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with the Ridgeline and new model '07 Sportrac sales. IMO, either Honda or Ford has to jump in with a mid-20 mpg vehicle in order to justify the $5k greater expense for AWD and IRS.

John
  • Options
    wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "But I agree the woeful timing of high gas prices and employee pricing on other trucks has greatly cut sales. "

Then why are Tacomas flying off of lots?
  • Options
    downsizing?

John
  • Options
    Are flying off the lots because they're good trucks.

But it's also because they come in a dozen variations. If you compared the number of loaded Tacos sold with the number of Ridgelines, you've have a much more even sales rate. But because Toyota sells stripped version of the Taco, they reach a much wider audience. Toyota also sells volume sales to fleets, while Honda refuses to deal that way. And Toyota uses incentives more freely than Honda. So, the fact that the Taco is a good truck certainly is a big part of the picture, but there's a lot to consider when it comes to sales. How good a truck is isn't the whole kit-n-kaboodle.