Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Ridgeline had its highest sales month ever in October. Tacoma sales were actually down slightly from September to October. I guess the Tacomas are flying a little more slowly than before.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edmunds long term tests, including the 'ridge. hah! hah! hah! that's one tough truck. :sick:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    How exciting here we go again with more informative posts............... :sick:
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "downsizing? "

You'd think some of those folks would downsize into a Ridge. The Tacoma DC and the Ridge have similar mileage and size. The Honda dealers in my area are advertising some serious discounts and lease deals.

Last time I looked, the smaller trucks, like the Frontier, Canyon, and Colorado weren't selling all that well, either.

I have a Tacoma Access Cab. If the Ridge had a 6 foot or greater bed with a shorter cab, on the same wheelbase, I definitely would have given it more time. The four folks I've pointed the Ridgeline to just couldn't get by the looks of it. Unfortunately, we "wear" vehicles in the USA, so that was that. I think it may have been the perfect vehicle for them, but it's their money...

One thing that GM and Ford seem to be very good at is styling. If the Ridge's features were incorporated into something with F150 or Silverado styling, they probably wouldn't be able to make them fast enough. :D
  • cjo87cjo87 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks to those who posted info on the tailgate and carrying loads. I imagine 8 ft would be about the limit on length? Beyond that, it doesn't look like the Ridgeline can accept a rack that would allow items such as deck boards, etc. However, I learned from Leer that they are about to release a truck cap that will accept a roof rack. Perhaps this will extend the length of items that can be carried? Just a thought.
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    That sounds good. Have you changed factory oil yet and if so what did you go with? I usually go with Castrol 5w20 myself.

Around town a Ridgeline should not be much different than 4wd Pilot MPG as weight is close. ON highway the RL appears to have higher cd which I have never seen published--.40 would not surprise me at all with the brick styling which Honda did on purpose and over did somewhat to make a truck statement--kind of in your face styling. I found a bug deflector helps break up that huge nose. The MDX has a .36 cd. the Odyssey has a .32 cd which explains the Odyssey ability with 4400 pounds to get 26 on the highway. The MDX which I one had got about 23-24 on highway with Premium. however, all the Honda Acura 3.5 heavies should yield the same dismal city mileage since very heavy with safety features.
  • plinkplink Member Posts: 1
    Great article! Plz bear w/ me as I am new to all of this "discussion" group stuff....have been doing quite a bit of research this morning on the Ridgeline - looks like a great truck! I currently own a Sport Trac and I juz LOVE it! I live in CT and traveled to Mass. a couple years ago to get it I liked the truck so much. Looking into maybe trading in soon tho. Depends if I can find what I'm looking for. I realize the Ridgeline is "new" to the market so I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for - a lil spoiled with some of the features I have in my Sport Trac so being a lil specific in my search. If anyone (even if you are a dealer) out there can help me find an RLT, white, sun/moon roof, preferably tan leather interior I would be forever grateful. Have done some area searches, haven't had any luck, guessing it's because they're selling like hotcakes leaving none for me! ;) Well, thanks for listening, well, reading! Any help would be appreciated. I can be e-mailed at IamPlink@snet.net if anyone can help me out - ya'll take care now y'hear! :shades: Plink
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Honda scales back production. Truck sales for the Big 3 are down by double digits. The Ridgeline has the best month, yet. Honda sold almost 5,000 units.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline?14@@.ee8b9d9

This street burner Ridgeline looks all-business (forget the multipurpose stuff).

It may have trouble powerwise though.

Thanks Bob for the link, photos, and write-up.

John
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    My pleasure. :)

For some reason the link didn't show properly. You may have to go directly to the Edmunds STRAIGHTLINE blog section, which is just a few days old.

Bob
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Here is the link to that blog entry:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8b9d9
    i'll post the quote from the long term test.
    "We thought this road seemed pretty tame but our Ridgeline didn't. Four new struts later we learned that it's not quite as tough as our long-term Tacoma. " :sick:
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    ITS A LIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edmunds flogged it too hard...................Waaahhhhhh............. :cry::cry: :lemon:
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Yeah that black one looks sharp. They should offer that as a Street Performance Package on the truck.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

One of the things that I noticed is how the "wing" on the tailgate is designed to flatten out the sloping bed sides. Kinda fixes that visual oddity, but it introduces another by making the back end look huge.

The off-road package looks too much like the Avalanche for me. And it's not like the truck was really modded enough to serve as a real off-roader.

When I was at Paragon in PA, I remember passing three Jeeps that were good and busted up on the edge of the trails. Two were Liberties which had over-heated. The other was a Cherokee with a busted suspension component. I didn't get close enough to figure out which.

Poor Jeeps. I was taking my time in the park and didn't have any trouble with those trails... in my CR-V.
  • toykicktoykick Member Posts: 104
    dont know if this has been posted here before...

link title

Honda Slashes Ridgeline Production

TOKYO -- With Ridgeline sales starting out slower than expected, Honda Motor Co. is cutting production of the new pickup.

Honda is taking 3,000 units out of its January-March production plan. The full-year target was 50,000.

Honda CFO Satoshi Aoki revealed the plans to cut production during a press conference announcing Honda's earnings for the quarter ended Sept. 30.

The Ridgeline, Honda's first foray into the pickup segment, is built exclusively in Alliston, Ontario. The vehicle went on sale in March. Sales through September in the United States totaled 25,787.

Honda built 17,402 Ridgelines in the third quarter.

In an interview with Automotive News at the Tokyo Motor Show this month, Honda CEO Takeo Fukui blamed the soft sales on high U.S. incentives on light trucks.

He said Honda would not join the incentive wars to jump-start Ridgeline sales.

"We won't introduce any incentives," Fukui said. "We'll adjust our production."

Honda executives said they hope to lower overall incentive spending in the United States. But they conceded that Honda's spending has grown more rapidly than expected.

Hideki Okada, general manager of Honda's accounting division, said at the press conference that the carmaker hopes to trim U.S. incentive spending by about one-third in the October 2005-March 2006 fiscal second half compared with the previous six months.

But Honda also raised its forecast for incentive spending for the full fiscal year ending March 31. It now expects to spend between $990 million and $1 billion on incentives this fiscal year.

Last spring, Honda had projected incentive spending of $690 million. It then raised that forecast to $890 million in July.
    Yes, we have all read the review. I have yet to read an actually owner having that problem. I respect Edmunds but many other testers and reviews did not have the same problem. Can you say the Ridgeline is riddled with defects? What company produces with zero defects? Explain why the big 3 market share is dropping and GM is on the verge of bankruptcy. Besides their pension problems its sales. I guess no one read JD Powers.
    "Honda Slashes Ridgeline Production"

Kinda funny when you look at the big picture. Honda cuts production by 6% and the news calls it "slashing". Meanwhile the domestics are fighting for the ability to cut production. They can't do it!

The real news in the article is that Honda has been forced to increase their incentives spending. The "Employee Discount" program saved Detroit's backside all summer long and the promotion forced everybody else to take a hit. Of course, now the party is over and Detroit finds itself with one serious hangover. I read somewhere that Explorer sales were down almost 60%. That's ten times the percentage Honda is cutting from the Ridgeline.
    I thought that was funny too. 6% = "slashing." yeah, right... :blush:

Bob
    6% of a paltry 25k sold YTD is slashing.....................
    Being down 25% on your October sales is "slashing".
    It's 30.7k sold though 10/05. For the Ridgeline it was its biggest month for sales. Honda targeted 50k annually , maybe they'll get there.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    like i said before, if you compare these sales to other cars from niche manufacturers like Mazda and Subaru, the Ridgeline sales are pretty good. Compared to typical Honda sales, yes, its much lower than other cars they produce. But compared to all cars from all manufacturers, its still not a bad seller at all. And, make no mistake about it, the Ridge is a niche vehicle, which isn't exactly Honda's normal MO. By the way, how many S2000s do they sell a year? I don't hear anyone complaining about that being a flop.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    did a search and found that Honda sold less than 8K S2000s in 2003 and 2004. Extrapolating from that, they MAY have sold about as many s2000s since it was released as they have Ridgelines in just this year alone.

They also only sold 30K TSXs in 2004. Guess that's a flop, too, huh? Also, less than 60K MDXs, only a tick over 20K RSXs, and less than 60K Elements. Gee, ya know, looking at these, seems to me the Ridge is doing GREAT!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    Well, there are spins on both sides of a story, always have and always will. Wasn't it you, Bob (if it's not you, I apologize for my bad memory), back in summer, posted that Honda had increased RL production from 50k a year to 80k? From 80k down to 47k is not 6%, I would call it "slashing".
    10/31/05 TOKYO -- With Ridgeline sales starting out slower than expected, Honda Motor Co. is cutting production of the new pickup.

Honda is taking 3,000 units out of its January-March production plan. The full-year target was 50,000, a 6% reduction.
    I think might've misunderstood the article. Easy mistake in this case.

Honda did not boost production to 80K. The claim was that Honda *could* build as many as 80K units if sales took off. (Obviously, they did not.)

If Honda continues to sell Ridges at the current rate (about 3,800 per month), they will fall about 4,000 units short or initial projections (6%)

In October, Honda sold 4,974 of them. I'm sure they got a little help from the fact that the Big 3 stopped their employee discounts. If they continue at that rate, they'll make the 50K goal.

If you asked me to make a prediction, I'd guess that Honda will end the year about 4 or 5% off their original target goal.
    I did mention that. However, in looking back, I suspect that report was wrong, as I haven't seen any other report stating 80K. There have been numerous reports stating 50K, and only that one that I reported on stating 80K.

Bob
    go back and check all the posts about the 'ridge changing the rules of the pickup game, big-3 trucks are toast, toyoata trucks are toast, every other truck manufacturer is stupid.
    i don't think the plan was to sell the 'ridge under invoice either.
    Claiming Ridgeline success or failure based on 8 months worth of sales is being very shortsighted. The true measure of that will be in 5 or more years.

Remember the first-generation Odyssey? Everyone laughed at that vehicle too. Those same folks aren't laughing today, as it's now considered the gold standard in minivans by most in the industry.

Bob
    bob, the name was the same, the vehicle was totally different. if the 'ridge becomes a totally different vehicle, it may have the same success.
    Well, they are both minivans, but yes, the first vehicle was totally different. Would you not expect it to be?

That's how products evolve. Toss out what doesn't work (small size, underpowered) and keep and expand upon what does work (3rd-row folding magic seat, etc.). Honda will do the same with the Ridgeline.

For the record: I don't think anyone here, myself included, has ever said the Ridgeline is perfect. We/I realize there's room for improvement. Name me one vehicle out there that's perfect, or was perfect when it first debuted.

Bob
    Reviews have said the Ridgeline is innovative but I don't recall who said all other trucks are toast. This was never a replacement for the basic pickup. It is for someone who needs truck features occasionally but wants other qualities that the Ridgeline offers. Why would Honda plan on selling 50k a year. Ford sells 90k F150s a month. The Ridgeline serves a niche. That had been made clear many times.
    gd113... go back and read some earlier posts. the innovations just don't work. i agree the 'ridge is a niche vehicle. it is a really small niche.
  • bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    Ok, It's a small niche, but it's that small niche that will grow in time. As I've said and others have. The Ridgeline is for someone that doesn't need a heavy duty truck. Just look at the Ford Explorer. Major rollover problems with lousy tires. Look at the F150 cruise control that will catch on fire, even when the engine is off. The Ridgeline has it's problems, but none like the big 3. Right now, my Ridgeline is doing fine. I know that it will do the job, I want it to. The so called strut failure can be due to the heavy abuse by the people at Edmunds. It wasn't designed to be used heavy duty offroad. So far, I have not heard of any other failures like that. So lets agree to disagree. The Ridgeline is a niche vehicle, that doesn't need to be like one of the big 3.
    When Honda introduced the Civic in 72, most people thought it was a joke, a tin can on wheels, a lousy attempt at a compact car (it was half the size of compacts offered by the domestics). Today the Civic is one of the most popular passenger cars on the market. In Canada the Civic has been the number one selling car for 7 years straight and in October there were more Civics sold than total number of passenger cars by Ford and Chrysler combined. The Civic never became number one from day one. It took Honda some time to achieve that goal.

The Ridgeline might serve as a study for Honda's future plans in the truck market, and it might evolve into something bigger and better. Until then it is here to stay. Success doesn't come overnight, it comes from trial and errors. Whatever Honda learns from the Ridgeline now they will apply it to future models and strategies.

But for now it serves the purpose for that market of recreational truck buyers. If you don't like it buy something else that suits your needs. :)

• teterteter Member Posts: 8
    I love my ridgeline,hwevr,i am tired of it dragging bottom in the woods hunting! Any one put taller tires on it ????
    I don't get what you mean. What doesn't work? My truck and its innovations work fine. Do you mean in terms of sales? Yes as I said it is small niche no one denies it. Why is that bad?
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    On strut failure, I am leaning toward thinking that the staff may not drive a company car like you and I would drive the one we make payments on. Not judging but reasonable assumption. Regardless, the R-line is more street biased and I am sure we all know that and the price is reduced off road prowess (which is Edmunds point anyway) but for the niche Honda was after it is balanced.
    I imagine Honda would have told us private owners have a nice day please provide $1000 for strut replacement.

regards..
    "go back and check all the posts about the 'ridge changing the rules of the pickup game, big-3 trucks are toast, toyoata trucks are toast, every other truck manufacturer is stupid."

Nobody ever said that it would happen overnight. You're putting words in people's mouths.

It was predicted (and I would do it again) that the Ridgeline would force an evolution of truck products in the US. Not a revolution... an evolution.

By that, myself and others contend that many of the features found in the Ridgeline will begin to make their way into other personal use trucks. The days of primitive BOF only designs are limited (not gone, just winding down). Limited are the days when the market will accept a truck that bounces two feet into the air over a speedbump. No longer will buyers accept trucks with poor crash ratings, poor handling, bare minimum content, and sloppy interiors.

In short... players in the truck market will finally be required to innovate. Vehicles like the Avalanche have also hinted at this move. The Ridgeline is not necessarily the best of them. It is simply the line in the sand. There will be more to come.
    just wait until you get a big snow or an ice storm. don't keep the ice scraper in the 'trunk'. :)
    At least you can drive home even if the struts failed. how is this guy supposed to get home after his Hummer failed?

link title

And this is a Hummer, designed for offroading. :sick:

The "They flogged it too hard excuse" might work.

BUT...that Hummer was used in REAL world off roading
    and broke. That tin can ridgeline broke just driving
    down a washboard road...........LOl !!!!!!!!!!
  • bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    Yea, that Hummer needs a tow for sure. I know I don't need to take my ridgeline down that type of off road. Beside, I didn't buy it for that purpose. So far, it does what I need it to do. The ridgeline is a light duty truck that was only for light off road use. It's not going to win any off road events unless it has some major mod's, like all the other offroad veh's. So for all those that dislike the Ridgeline or any Honda, go ahead and yack your smack. I paid my dues by buying domestic for 20 plus years. After alot of research, I decided the Ridgeline was the best vehicle for me. It has all the power, safety and comfort that my family needs or wants.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...worked really well for over a week. I suggest that it be reinstituted.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    To ignore certain posters.

If you ignore them, they ALWAYS go away!
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I was warming up to the Ridgeline after looking at it, but I have to admit the Edmunds strut experience is ugly. I don't consider going down a washboard dirt road excessive. Honda's own promo pictures show it doing far worse than that. In fact, washboard dirt roads is exactly the type of "off roading" I'd do in it, with possibly a 500 pound four-wheeler atv in the back. I think I'll wait until I (hopefully) hear about serious strut upgrades on the 2007, to put the ridgeline back on my list. Its a shame, that trunk and interior room is fantastic.
    Can't say that I blame you for your hesitation, but the Edmunds report is just one instance. For all we know it was a fluke. We really don't know yet.

When Honda introduced the Ridgeline, they allowed journalists to drive one on a test loop which included hills, ruts, water, a frame-twister, and washboard terrain. It wasn't terribly aggressive stuff, but enough to give people an idea.

If I recall correctly, they had journalists driving the same rig over this loop for at least two days. You can bet that if there were a strut failure, you'd have read about it.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Yes, if you don't need it now, it is almost always better to wait.

I am holding out for a diesel engine Ridgeline or something that is similar to the Ridgeline.

Add in the cost issue (doubtful that Honda is going to increase prices).

John
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I agree. Isn't it funny that ***ONE*** Ridgeline that we have heard about just happened to have ALL four struts blow out?