Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I don't doubt that it happened. I just think we shouldn't get all chicken little about one instance. Especially when we really don't know all the details.

I mean, I heard about a brand new Jeep Rubicon that snapped a tie rod driving down a path covered in loose rocks. :sick: I was told this after I'd already driven the same track in my CR-V.

Would anyone take me seriously if I took that story and claimed that Jeeps are flimsy and unfit for off-road use? Geez, I hope not. So, for the same reasons, I wouldn't take a single story as the gospel for the Ridgeline.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    But some love to hear stories like this and they will jump all over it.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Well, I guess I just don't see a reason for Edmunds to lie about the circumstances of the strut failure. If they dropped it off a mini cliff, then I be willing to bet they would tell us that, and there would have been other damage to report. Why not? It is in their best financial interest to be fair with the manufacturers. Also, one of the things that makes Hondas and Toyotas so good is that they are built in a very consistent way. Thus, it is not a stretch to believe that a significant problem may not be an anomoly, and will reappear. Anyway, it seems like a fix (i.e. heavy duty race inspired type strut) would be easy. I'll wait and see.
    If ONE report of failed struts would scare someone away, they probably should buy a different car.

I have a lot of respect for Edmunds or I wouldn't be here.

Still...I find it VERY odd all four struts would somehow fail. I just don't understand, that's all.
    I can't speak for Isell, but I'm offering up my perspective for this reason... If the problem was an anomaly, you'll be waiting for a fix that'll never arrive. If it isn't a one-time anomaly, Honda may fix it without ever announcing the change.

You have the luxury of time to buy. But you may be waiting for a fix that never happens, never needed to happen, or happens, but never gets published. All because of one report.

With the Jeep incident I mentioned before, I'm sure the driver thought the trail he was traversing was perfectly ordinary. Heck, it wasn't even a trail. It was an access road between trails. I made it without a 2nd thought driving a Honda CR-V, fer cryin' out loud. Why would a guy who bought a Rubicon package be concerned with this trail? He probably just hit an embedded rock, just the right way, at just the right speed.

I'm sure the Edmunds staffer thought he was driving a perfectly ordinary trail, at a safe speed, with nothing to worry about. There's no reason to suggest the staffer is lying about it.
    I don't suspect anything either way.

I just find it very odd, that's all. Maybe the struts come from a supplier who accidently had a bad run.

I haven't a clue.
    I hope Honda takes this seriously. It is exactly what this vehicle (advertised as tough) does not need, i.e. reports that its suspension breaks easily.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3023&highlight=struts
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    I can see it now. Host will delete that post and then what follows will be cries of "what? i can't post anything negative about the vehicle?"
    Simply put, you can't link to any forums outside of Edmunds (or sites that contain forums). So you might want to consider reposting without the link.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Are real..............

NAH!.............Those folks on that other forum are liars
    and just pulling everybodys leg huh?...........LOL!

I guess the old "they flogged it too hard" excuse
    don't apply huh ? :lemon:

Wait till the weak auto transmission issues start !

I guess these issues will just have to be ignored........ :blush:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Yer still here? Don't you have anything better to do? eh... nevermind ... now where did i put that ignore button ....

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

rules are rules. But since some people on that other site had suggested suing Edmunds over its report (just before members of that forum starting reporting the problem themselves), even Edmunds may want to take note of the posts in that Ridgeline Owners forum. Hey, no car company is perfect. The issue is how well they respond to reported problems. Honda should issue a TSB, and deal with it in the open. Ford would ignore it, and that's why they have had debacles like the Pinto and the explorer.
    Edmunds simply takes issue with promoting other boards. I believe they've lightened up on their policies regarding links to other sites.

Back to issue... looks real to me. With several reports posted, I'd say there's a legitimate issue. Knowing that there have been additional reports, I'd say it's very likely we'll start hearing about a TSB or a new strut supplier sometime in the future.

Thanks for the follow-up.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    a year or two worth of production to get the kinks sorted out. This isn't unique to Honda. How many times have we all been warned about buying a first-year product. Granted, someone is going to buy v.1.0 of any new vehicle. Just go about doing it with the concept of "buyer beware" firmly planted in the back of your mind. Unfortunately stuff happens—regardless of the logo on the grille—with first year products...

Bob
    I think you are right. Honda is very quick to react to situations like this. Even so, I would suspect these are pretty isolated incidents.
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    This guy is absolutely monotonous. The same negative posts over and over. Why does a Cadillac owner and spend so much time in this forum? Should we all list the GM problems we have heard about and condemn that vehicle? Reminds of high school. When the little kid makes fun of something he actually wants it. ...Funny. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
    *****IGNORE HIM*****

He loves it when we respond to him!

He WILL go away if ignored long enough. They always do!
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    Done :shades:
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    I guess the honda faithful can't handle FACTS...........

You can't ignore the ridgelines strut issues, water leaks
    and other problems that are posted here and other forums.

The 1st year build excuse won't work either.......
    Several other vehicles have been launched the past year
    and have been troublefree.
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    My RL is a OCT build date and bought the 22nd wiht 8 mi. First and only driver was me. I picked it out as dealers love to rotate old stock (which they had plenty of July build dates) I believe if you know about quality control and production, RL most likely had many running changes and mods to react to production problems. I have no wind noise and hopefully full spec suspension!
    Last year I bought a 7 yr old Lexus ES300 with 100k it was one of first 2000 ES 300's for 97 (new model). It was absolutely flawless and previous owner had no real issues as I checked service history with dealer. So with a little $$ and care the first year production rule not really firm across the board. In fact the Lexus 97 model has zero sludge problems--that began in 98 and increased in 99 with engine emissions gadgets....
    Bottom line, RL is a decent urban truck with modest off road and 4wd capabilities that match 80% of most buyers. Believe me it is the only way I would have ever even considered a truck--plus Hondas low lease rates. That was my insurance in case this thing is a long term flop and value is not there in three years--like the 1st Gen Odyssey.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    geo9, welcome the smear campaign. :(
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The 1st gen Odyssey was hardly a "flop". Granted, the newer ones have sold a LOT better.

There is a small but strong following for the 1st gen Odysseys. When we get a nice one as a trade, they never last long!
  • bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    Ok, Lets post the facts. The Edmunds test vehicle had failed struts. There were water leaks in the early months, wind noise, etc. Ok, each one has been addressed by Honda. Again, this is a niche vehicle that appeals to certain owners. I realize you may not like Honda's for what ever reason like some others on this site. You have your opinion like everyone else. Myself and others have decided the Ridgeline is the type of vehicle we wanted and paid for. I love my vehicle for what it was designed for. If you and others don't like the Ridgeline or Honda, you can vent to your friends, and family, but please don't mock me or others for the choice we made. I'm sure the web host does not want to see a word battle take place here. Afterall, no vehicle
    is perfect.
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    Do not get me wrong, I liked the light agreeable 95 Odyssey but resale was poor at the time and they did move slowly even in the Isuzu form. I had a white EX and it pioneered the rear fold down seat and storage well.
    All neat. but I digress...
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Ridgeline had its highest sales month ever in October. Tacoma sales were actually down slightly from September to October. I guess the Tacomas are flying a little more slowly than before."

I'd call this "flying":

37% more Tacomas in 10/05, compared with 10/04, even with the "Big 3's" incentives...

TOYOTA RETAIL SALES
    (INCLUDES FLEET & HAWAII)
    October, 2005

----- CURRENT MONTH ----- -- CALENDAR YEAR TO DATE --
    DSR % DSR %
    2005 2004 CHG 2005 2004 CHG

4X2 TACOMA 8,406 5,914 47.6 83,425 78,796 6.7
    4X4 TACOMA 6,080 5,069 24.6 56,175 51,426 10.1
    TOTAL TACOMA 14,486 10,983 37.0 139,600 130,222 8.0
    TUNDRA 8,919 9,448 -2.0 100,005 92,075 9.5
    TOTAL PICKUP 23,405 20,431 19.0 239,605 222,297 8.6
    Interesting. About 60% of the October Tacomas were 4x2s.

In October Toyota sold 6,080 4x4 Tacomas. Honda sold 4,974 AWD Ridgelines. That's a whole lot closer than I would have expected.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Interesting. About 60% of the October Tacomas were 4x2s"

That's exactly why I think Honda would sell a lot more Ridgelines if a 4x2 model, with better mileage and a lower price, were available.

Remember Toyota also offers the PreRunner, the ultimate poseur truck! :D The PreRunner has a 4x4 stance, style and even the TRD option package, with a 2 wheel drive price. There are LOTS of PreRunners sold every year.
    The problem is, if Honda offered a 2WD version, that would mean FWD, and not RWD. FWD is not the best way to go with a pickup.

Right after the Ridgeline was introduced I suggested they offer a "Cargo Cab" version, sans the rear seat and with rubber floor covering. That would cut costs quite a bit, and address those who don't want or need a rear seat. They could also offer a version with just the 1/3-section of the rear seat, deleting the 2/3-section. That would cut costs too, yet give at least one more passenger capability. Or, just make the rear seats optional on base-level models.

I still think that's a good solution, and I would rather them do that than cut the AWD.

Bob
    I agree that a less expensive/decontented Ridgeline would reach many more customers. I also agree with Bob, though. A FWD Ridgeline would be seriously handicapped. Better that they remove some of the other hardware to cut costs.

My suggestion was to remove (or shrink) the rear seat and push the back wall of the cab forward to create a longer bed. They would leave the buttresses and roof in place. It would just mean the forward half of the bed would be under a "shelter".
    My suggestion was to remove (or shrink) the rear seat and push the back wall of the cab forward to create a longer bed. They would leave the buttresses and roof in place. It would just mean the forward half of the bed would be under a "shelter".

That would also mean removing the rear doors and redesigning the rear-quarter windows, which could be a rather expensive re-engineering job, wouldn't it?

Bob
    which is sort of a combination of Varmint's idea and mine would be to offer the Cargo Cab (with no rear seat), but also give it a Subaru Baja-like switchback midgate, that would fold forward for those longer loads. The rear window and bulkhead would remain fixed (like the Baja) for added rigidity.

Bob
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    how 'bout the Cargo Cab Baja-like mid gate w/rear seat?

Add 24 mpg as highway mpg and it would be improving both functionality and value.

John
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    So if Honda offers a 2WD, and a Cargo Cab version. do they really cut costs? Sure each truck might cost less, but the re-design and added manufacturing costs. One small sheet metal change means 100's of thousands of dollars for new stamping dies.

I've watched Ford Rangers being assembled. 2wd, 4wd, quad cab, club cab, regular cab... all go down the same line. It just adds a few more stations where options may or may not be put on.

So over all production costs will go up some. You sell a lesser priced truck with maybe a lesser profit magin. So do you make more, less, or the same money in the end?

--jay
    Yeah, but that would make it more expensive, not less expensive, than the current models.

Bob
    "That would also mean removing the rear doors and redesigning the rear-quarter windows, which could be a rather expensive re-engineering job, wouldn't it?"

Nah, just weld 'em shut, paint 'em all orange, and stick an 01 decal on the side. It'll help reach the target market, too.
    Jay, you make a good point. I once heard a lecture/presentation by an auto exec and he made a similar point this way.

He asked, "What's the most important consideration when designing a car door?"

The audience tossed out "crash safety", "large windows", "weight", and other ideas.

He stopped them and said, "The panels must be stackable". Apparently, if it can't be stacked the shipping costs will would triple.
  • mazdax605mazdax605 Member Posts: 89
    Hello all,

I never thought I would be typing this,but I really like the utility of the Ridgeline,and may think about getting one in the next year or so.I currently own a 92 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton club cab 2wd with the awesome Cummins turbo diesel engine,and a 5 speed transmission.It currently has 235,000 miles on it,and it runs as good now as it did when it was new.I love the diesel,and would love to get a new truck with a diesel,but I really don't need such a big truck.We tow our Hybrid Jayco Kiwi trailer camper,which I think weighs in at around 4000lbs,and tows behind my diesel without even knowing it is back there.I love my truck,and its performance,but if we decide to have another child the truck isn't going to be easy to live with on camping trips.The old Dodges like I have never had bench seats in the rear of the club cab,but I installed an aftermarket bench in it so that my son can ride in the middle of the rear bench seat.I think if we need another car seat in the rear of the truck it will be really tough to do especially a rear facing child seat for the first year or so.I like the idea of the independent suspension all around,and the truck in the bed along with a decent sized rear seat for the car seats.I wish honda offered a diesel option(as well as other small or midsized truck manufacturers),but if the Ridgeline will tow my camper relativly easy then I will think about getting a non-diesel.I read that Honda claims the ridgline can tow 5000 lbs,but how does it do on hilly roads and such?I owned a 99 Mazda B4000 back in 99 that towed my camper,and although it was rated at 6000lbs towing the engine was really working hard on the expressway,and was not fun to tow with.The Mazda was only rated at 160 hp though,and wasn't the lightest truck around.How does the Ridgeline tow with the 235 hp engine?Would a dealer allow me to bring my trailer up and try it out if I wanted to do so?Sorry for being longwinded.Thanks in advance.

Chris
    early production(5/78)Mazda 79 RX-7 GS
    92 Dodge Ram Cummins turbo deisel
    74 Mazda RE/PU
  • whaleyawhaleya Member Posts: 28
    Towing 4000 lbs and you will know it's back there when compared to a 3/4 ton pickup.

Towing my pop up (2500lbs) is very stable and smooth, acceleration is a bit slow but not bad.

If you get the Ridgeline, get the rear camera.... I hitch up spot on every time!
    While the tranny coolers and such are standard equipment, the hitch is not. So you'd have to find a dealer who has already installed a hitch on the Ridgeline if they are going to let you tow with it on a test drive. And, to be quite honest, I think that's doubtful.

Go in, take one for a spin, and see if you like it. If you do, place a deposit. Then maybe they'll let you go for a tow.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Actually, towing probably isn't a good idea on a engine and tranny that isn't broken in. I don't tow with my Ridgeline, but there's alot of RL owners at the Ridgeline Owners Club that have (google it). They all seem very pleased with its towing performance. Some of them have given pretty good in depth reviews.
    on the right side of the screen is starting to bug me(sorry). it reminds me of that song "you've got mud on your face, you big...". :(
  • bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    Hey Explorer, you don't have to keep coming back and looking at it. You can go to another forum instead and look at those other pic's. After all no one is asking or forcing you to come to this forum. Am sure you have other things to do, places to go and people to see. :D
    it's on the side of my screen no matter what forum i am on. get a bigger monitor. maybe i should lower the resolution on mine. :)
  • toyfesttoyfest Member Posts: 2
    I've had my RTL for several months now. Love the truck! Actually my car and my wife's car were 8 and 9 years old, so we had been shopping for two new vehicles. My wife liked the Pilot and I really liked the Ridgeline. We ended up buying a Pilot for her and a Ridgeline for me the same day! The Dealer offered up the Pilot at invoice and the Ridgeline a few hundred over invoice.

I feel this truck was designed just for me. Very comfortable everyday vehicle to go back and forth to work, rides like a car, can accomodate four adults in comfort, fits in my garage, easy to drive, easy to park, not to big, not to long, and I can haul stuff home from Home Depot and Lowes on the weekends. It's Just perfect.

I don't have any of the water leaking problems, but I do (did) have the wind noise problem. Took it into the dealer this morning and it was fixed within a couple of hours. The dealer was aware of this problem and the repair bill stated "Found windshield molding to be distorted top right corner, rubber not secure. Removed winsheild molding, repaired rubber, re installed." This seemed to do the trick, no whistling on the way home. Simple problem, simple fix.

I also recently installed the Retrax bed cover. I e-mailed Retrax and asked about the installation. I wanted to make sure there was no drilling in the bed involved. The only "modification" you have to make is, in fact, drilling a 1/2" hole in the rubber plug at the front bottom of the bed, but no drilling into the bed itself. Retrax e-mailed me the instruction sheet the next day. I then called Randy at Retrax and asked about the $100.00 discount by mentioning this forum. The cover comes in two different boxes, one box showed up a day after the first one (go figure). The cover was pretty easy to install and looks great. The only annoyance was the packing material (styrofoam bits stuck to the inside of the roll-up mechanism). Living in Buffalo (condolences accepted) I'm interested in seeing how it holds up to heavy snow.

I also installed the roof rack that I ordered on-line, $258.00 plus shipping, or something like that. No plans to carry anything up there, just think it makes the truck look good! Again, pretty easy to install, although you do have to "hacksaw" the molding strip that goes along the roof line. Easy to do physically, just hard to do mentally cutting up a brand new piece of your truck.

Hope this info helps...
  • kermit777kermit777 Member Posts: 6
    This strut thing has been irking me for some time now, not that they failed in the first place on one test vehicle, just that no one seems to have pondered who manufactures the struts. I am taking a wild guess that Honda relies on a supplier to deliver this component, and chances are it was due to defective materials, workmanship, etc. My guess would be a "new hire" on the line that day, or maybe it was geo, went to work still drunk after partying too hard and was using the struts to re-enact a drum solo by def leppard he saw on VH1's '80's 3D the previous night. If Billy Bob Consumer were to replace their suspension with 4 struts that have very close datecodes from their local parts store and after a weekend of barreling over hunting roads, or driving back and forth to work in New England around March that it would be the fault of the vehicle brand they are driving? I think not. Still 0 problems, 20-21 MPG average, and really glad to have wiped the 2003 S-10 crew cab stains off my back side.
    It doesn't really matter who manufactures the parts. It's going to be Honda who either a) builds a sturdier part, or b) makes sure that quality control is enforced. Either way, it rests on Honda to make the changes.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    In another Ridgeline forum, there are several other owners with failed struts, from minor offroad usage.

Looks like this part was just underdesigned, or there was a lot of bad ones built.
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    Oh puhhleese. I'm a Dodge Ram owner currently and have never owned a Honda product, but 4 struts do not just blow out from driving on a washboard surface at "10-15 mph". Not even in a cheapo economy car, much less a pickup truck with struts designed to handle 4500 lbs. How naive can one be to believe that these guys didn't have some fun blasting over stuff in the truck and then when it broke came up with this pathetic tale to avoid trouble back at the office? Car reviewers are notoriously hard on vehicles. Some of them actually admit to it. I lived in an area with dirt roads and took our low slung '03 Saab 9-3 over severe washboarding at higher speeds than that more than once with no problems. My guess is somebody jumped the vehicle off of something and it blew them out.

Message boards on various websites have become like the American culture in general..... Lying to promote one's agenda is the norm. Those who love Hondas defend them, those threatened by them trash them. And trust me, having owned Toyota, Chevy, Ford, and Dodge pickups in my business, nothing scares a domestic truck owner like the possibility of a Japanese company making a better one than theirs. They will say anything and make any logical leap to trash the image of a Japanese truck.
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    For all you bashers out there quoting disappointing Ridgeline sales. Go check your figures. Look at sales for other full size/midsize pickups in this period. We had a huge increase in gas prices folks. Do you think that just MAYBE this affected their sales projections a little?

Toyota Tacoma sales were probably way up since it was massively redesigned in a successful manner and gives people near full size capability along with the rugged offroad performance and more importantly IMAGE, they desire, along with decent fuel economy. It's way up over the previous year because people were waiting for the new model and sales were down that year. That happens a lot.

I need a truck that can handle my light duty towing needs for work, yet also get myself down to Florida from Atlanta twice a month to our place on the beach there. I'm not in love with the Ridgeline, but name me another truck that gets decent fuel economy, handles well, brakes well, drives like a car and is less tiring on 7 hour trips, has side airbags and stability control for safety at high speed, has a carlike interior, room to store my luggage as well as two dogs, has a short wheelbase to ease towing in crowded city situations, awd for use around boat ramps and beaches, uses regular fuel, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (currently selling for $5,000 off sticker).

It's not for everybody. But the only negative I've found with it so far is the supposed blind spot (I tow and all I need to see is beside me and the trailer in the mirrors anyway) and the non-traditional styling.

My Hemi Ram is a "real" truck but fails in over half the above requirements. 15mpg highway, no stability control, no side airbags really available, rides like a truck, noisier, no covered space for cargo in the bed, longer wheelbase which means I sometimes swing into oncoming traffic when making turns onto city streets, etc, etc etc.

I hate it when guys who never venture over 55 mph and more than 10 miles from home and put 5,000 miles a year on their vehicles in their small towns try to judge other trucks by their standards. I see a lot of suvs and trucks on their roofs in my 20 plus expressway trips I make each year. I want something that will handle an emergency stop/avoid situation.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Myob, you make alot of sense. I also have trouble reconciling 4 blown struts with my personal ownership experience with the Ridgeline. I've been on washboard roads, BLM trails, and rough mountain roads and my Ridgeline's struts are fine.

Even if there were a problem, I would have no concerns. I'm sure Honda would step up and take care of it. I will continue to use my vehicle as Honda intended.

Side note:

I just got back from a trip to LA and recieved 21.7 mpg. Thank you Honda ! This is a seven hour trip and time flys when it's done in a Ridgeline. This is a very comfortable truck. I feel like I got my truck without any of the compromises that come with a truck, and my wife feels like she got the ride of the Camry sedan she wanted. This truck fits both of our needs perfectly. There is no other vehicle like it, and I don't have to worry about whether my wife is using the 4wd correctly or the possibility of damaging a part time system on dry pavement like on other trucks. All she has to do is drive and the Ridgeline will take care of all the traction decisions. Again, Thank you Honda.
    i don't disagree with your post, but they said they did the same one in a 'taco and had no problem. i suppose someone could look at a toyota truck and say 'i better take it easy', but i am gong to hammer on the honda.