Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    i don't disagree with your post, but they said they did the same one in a 'taco and had no problem. i suppose someone could look at a toyota truck and say 'i better take it easy', but i am gong to hammer on the honda.

On a rough wash board surface you won't be able to travel nearly as fast in a BOF, solid rear axel, with stiff leaf springs (which would create alot of rear end hop) as you would with the 4 wheel independent suspension Ridgeline which would be able to take the same surface at a much faster speed.

Any Ridgeline owner will tell you it feels like they are going much slower than they actually are. It's not uncommon for me to look at my speedo in this truck see that I'm going 95 mph when I thought I was going 75mph. The same goes for rougher surfaces. What shook up passengers on the same BLM trail in the Chevy Silvy we were using doesn't even phase them in the Ridgeline. So, while the editors might have thought they were going slow, I don't doubt they were going alot faster than what they claim.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    since we were not there, it is all supposition. maybe the other similar complaints about the struts are just 'copycats'. point is, it was reported for everyone to read. highway driving is not the same as trail driving, so i think that kind of post is misdirection.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    highway driving is not the same as trail driving, so i think that kind of post is misdirection.

I thought I made it clear the same principle applies to the RL on a washboard surface as well. The Ridgeline is deceptively smooth on surfaces like these giving the driver the impression they can go much faster than perhaps they should. I find myself on surfaces like these going a bit too fast because the 4 wheel independent suspension delivers such a smooth ride, it gives the driver the impression it might be okay. All vehicles should be treated with respect on these kinds of surfaces. I'm always concerned I might emerge from one these roads with some kind of dash rattle or squeak. So far the RL is as quiet as the day I bought it.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I don't think there's any conspiracy here. Struts have busted. It ain't the end of the world. Either it gets fixed, or time passes and we never see another reliable report on the issue.

There's no sense in debating events or issues when we don't have much of anything resembling facts. The best we can do is wait and see.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Over at the "other" ridgeline forum. More new strut
    failures are being reported from the "harry homeowner"
    crowd who prob. have never taken that "tough truck" off
    road................

Nah........The old "They flogged it too hard" is
    a better excuse............. :cry:
  • bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    Yea, I've heard the same thing too. The Ridgeline has over 75 percent of it's parts made in the USA. Say the struts were from a US parts manufactor that Honda had contracted with. Does that mean all the struts are bad. Afterall, they are US made and could be in some of the Big 3 Autos too. But no that's not right, just ask around. The big 3 Autos are doing just fine and everyone loves their domestic auto. Even if they have to have it towed or repaired all the time. So let's all agree to disagree and get off bashing the Ridgeline. It's obvious there are some that love to shout out it's shortcomings or failures. That's ok, it's your opinion. All I'm saying is that I love my Ridgeline. I've not had any of the problems that people are talking about. I've owned Dodges, Chevys, and Toyota's and now I own a Honda Ridgeline. Each one had their good and bad points. So until, I have a problem, I'm going to keep driving and enjoying my Ridgeline. :)
    i hope everyone who buys any vehicle, enjoys it.
    my sister has a priius which has a lot of complaints about the goodyear tires. i drove it last weekend and agree. i checked the pressures, which were ok. the sidewall had the words 'made in japan' on each tire. :surprise:
    Goodyear Tires made in Japan. Wow, that's news to me, since Goodyear tires has their Corp. HQ in Akron, Ohio with their tire plants in Ohio. But than again, I could be wrong. With all the big US businesses taking their work factories overseas trying to cut costs and make the most profit at the expense of american jobs. But than The Japan, German auto makers set up factories in the US and hire those same workers. You know something is wrong with that picture.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I'm sure the Prius' tires are not the typical "low rolling resistance" tires that many manufacturers are using nowadays in order to increase the little numbers on the EPA stickers. Since the car is a hybrid being sold on the merits of its efficiency those tires are probably required to be even lower resistance than the average tire, and that could explain the "made in Japan" stamping. Especially since that also happens to be where the parent company is located and where this vehicle was designed..
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Who owns GOodyear now? I thought all of the US brand names had been bought by global companies. Firestone/Bridgestone, etc.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Goodyear is still an American based company. But they've bought or entered into joint ventures with other tire companies including Sumitomo - a Japanese company that owns the rights to Dunlop - and Toyo.

Goodyear manufactures all over the world in order to be close to their customers.
  • vertrkrvertrkr Member Posts: 21
    Leer finally lists cap/shell on their site. Sign up for release info here:
    http://www.leer.com/advancenotice.html
    just posting a fact. it is easy to check. it did surprise me, which is why i posted it. just another case of things are always not what you assume them to be.
  • jealousy1jealousy1 Member Posts: 1
    All of this BS and crap about the struts...I bet you those magazine people that initiated this issue started taking air, jumping logs and rocks at high speeds just to see what could happen. All terrain driving is not about speed, that is left to million dollar Baja type trucks that are built nothing like stock trucks. These people just wish they could own a Ridgeline! This is a great truck that many people have been waiting for years and you know what? It's a Honda! Reliable, innovative, with a powerful engine that can give you close to 20 mpg overall and with a "real car ride", not a jumpy teeth-breaking ride like many others. I know that other brands will follow their steps; Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc. I see bed trunks, maybe independent rear suspension and other things that this SUT brought new to the world on these brands very soon! To all of those coming here to instigate issues...just grow up! Maybe, one day you will be able to own a Honda Ridgeline too. Keep your BIG TRUCKS, that is not what we want. ;)
    No, it appears that the strut complaint is a real one. Just like the leaking roof from the first few production runs. Honda is not immune to having problems.

Even a busted clock can be right twice a day.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    But I won't buy one until I see some indication that this strut problem is at least investigated by Honda. There have been a lot of reports of failures, with more reported almost every day. Some people report never even having taken their vehicle down a dirt road when they started hearing the bad noises indicating failure. I need a vehicle that can in fact handle a washboard road 4 or 5 times a year. I hope Honda steps up to the plate and deals with this. I'd love a truck that is built as good as my old accord was.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'd be curious as to what the build dates were on these trucks with strut failures. Were they among the first batch of vehicles built? Are they from recent build dates? Or a combination? Also what was the approximate mileage on the vehicles when these failures occurred?

If they were from early build dates (and not recent build dates) that could mean Honda has caught and fixed the problem. Or it could mean that not enough miles have yet been put on the trucks. Either way, that kind of info would be helpful in trying to troubleshoot this issue.

Bob
    There have been a lot of reports of failures, with more reported almost every day.

what are you talking about? Where are these reports almost everyday? I've only seen a couple of comments on ROC and they have well over a thousand memebers. My vin is around #5000 and I have over 8,000 miles with no problem.
    A "couple" of reported failures? Heck, Edmunds had more than a "couple" on one vehicle. I hope Honda doesn't suffer from the Ford ostrich syndrome.
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    Gearhead,

I read all the forums and I am seeing the same things you are. Besides Edmunds there have maybe been a couple reported at the ROC. You have to admit 4 struts on one vehicle is very odd and unlikely. So lets round it to 5 vehicles with strut problems out of 30k sold so far this year. Doesn't sound like a huge problem does it? Now Ford recalling all its new Four Hundreds and Freestyles because the strap that holds the gas tank in may fail and cause a fire, thats a problem.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I love Hondas. I have a family with one kid here and one on the way for fall 2006. I hope to buy before then.

My heart says get a Ridgeline. My head says get an Odyssey. Pilot seems like a luke warm compromise. I don't need to haul 8 people but I really do not need a truck bed either.

For my situation, a Ridgeline would be a life style choice. I am a typical Harry Homeonwer who would use a truck bed but do not really need it.

Odyssey is a very flexible choice but seems to be all "head" and no heart.

Spouse is ambivalent / hostile to truck depending on the day.

Any thoughts for those in similar situation.
    Do what I did... get an MDX. It offers similar utility to the Pilot, but has more personality.
  • hoseman1hoseman1 Member Posts: 1
    You can do what I did, I bought both.
    I know how you feel since I started looking around to replace my 16 yr old Toy truck. When I found the Ridgeline, I realized it had everything I needed in a truck and car. My spouse was ambivalent to, but said go get what you want. She really wanted me to get a Pilot or another Toy Truck. But after riding in the Ridgeline and even driving it around, she now loves all the room and storage. She has an 04 Accord, so she knew about the Honda reliablity. So sit on down and write down the pros's and con's for each vehicle and than decide, which is better, based on it's use, safety, seating, storage,etc.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    FYI...the recall on the gas tank straps was caused by a Ford sub-vendor not meeting Ford's specs on the size of the strap. It was determined that it could weaken beyond 100,000 miles. So it wasn't that Ford's spec was incorrect, but that a vendor didn't meet it. Good on Ford for catching it probably before any Freestyle/500 exceeded 100,000 miles. Bad on Ford for using this sub, but it would have been a little different if the Ford engineering specs were found to have been the fault.
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    If I were you, soon to have 2 young children, I would definitely buy the Ody. You are going to want to have all the stuff you carry around with the kids with you in the vehicle where you can get to them during a trip. You will also have a lot more room, a less expensive vehicle, and get better gas mileage. I am on my second Ody (2000 LX and 04 EX-L) and they are great vehicles. Our kids are getting older (9 and 11) but it has been very nice to have the van around to take on trips and drive around to activities. Driving a minivan has never bothered me in the least.

I would wait a year or two and then buy the Ridgeline for the second vehicle. Hoisting those kid's seats up and into the RL will get old also. Not that it can't be done, but the Ody will be much more practical and convenient for you and your family (IMHO).

I like the buy both advice too, if you can swing the cash!

I'm looking at the RL to replace my small sedan so the kids can have some more room in the back when we take the second vehicle somewhere, to try to save some miles on the Ody.

Good luck.
    Thanks.

The current fleet is Accord Hybrid sedan and Outback LL Bean wagon. The LL Bean wagon is the one that will be sold for the hauler vehicle. It is great but smaller inside than Accord.

I do like the Ody. But the last car I felt passionate about was a 1992 Prelude. To me some level of impracticality is required for passion. I do not drive fast except through corners.

The Hybrid is a dream but could use a little better handling.

Sometimes I think - forgo the hauling for handling in an Acura TSX. Then I come back to my senses.

I know the RL is no handler but I never had a truck and that might be novel enough to grab me.

I hear the MDX is a handler but pushing $40k that seems too much to spend on a car.

I am looking for that magic combo of room, utility, handling, fun and affordability -- and a Honda. And I keep re-thinking my choices.

It's easy to get hung up on "vaporware" cars like 2007 Acura RDX or Honda CR-V. Since they are not out yet you can imagine them fitting every need. . . . until they hit the real world.
    I know the RL is no handler but I never had a truck and that might be novel enough to grab me.

The RL is precisely known for its excellent handling. The guys at TOV put it through its paces on the auto cross course and were very impressed by its handling through the slalom.
    I did see and enjoy that RL autocross video.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    I wonder if they blew out the struts after that test?
  • littlezlittlez Member Posts: 167
    If you're going to spout off facts, get them straight. The Explorer actually had less rollover frequency than all other SUVs. And the tires were Firestones, not Fords. The F150 cruise control switch was made by a supplier who provided bad parts to Ford. It was not made by Ford. So, quit your Ford bashing, dork. By the way, Honda has already recalled the new Civic. There have been several recalls on the Odyssey and Pilot to the tune of over a million vehicles. Go ahead and blame Edmunds for breaking your rice-burning seudo-truck. The Ridgeline will never sell as many units as an F-Series, the King of trucks. I know the topic of conversation is the Ridgeline, so don't throw bad information into the discussion.
    First of all, it's a Five Hundred, not a Four Hundred and secondly, the strap is from a supplier that failed to provide a quality part. Ford did not make the strap. By the way, there have been no fires and no injuries. The Ridgeline struts are failing. Bad thing to happen on a truck. It is a huge problem.
    Wow! You [non-permissible content removed] lovers are all alike, if something goes wrong with your [non-permissible content removed] vehicle, blame it on someone other than the [non-permissible content removed] manufacturer. So, it was the magazine people who broke your truck, BS! These people don't wish they could own a Ridgeline, they don't want one because it will never be a real truck, just a truck wanna-be. For your information, an F-150 with a V8 engine, that blows the doors off of a Ridgeline gets 19 mpg overall. That's only 1 mpg below a Ridgeline. I'd rather have a real truck. Also, other brands will not follow in Honda's steps because this is not a great truck. It is a way for Honda to keep their own customers from jumping ship. Oh, one more thing, it's sounds like you are the one instigating issues. The rest of us are just sharing our opinions.
    Proud to be an American, baby!!!!
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    littlez,

Your comments aren't encouraging respectful dialogue. Please, for the forum's sake, help keep things friendly and objective.

John
    He just became a member today, shoots off 4 posts on a vehicle he doesn't own and hates the "[non-permissible content removed]". Be a good American and have a fit somewhere else.
    I have owned a Chevy 4x4 pickup in the past (it was OK), a '95 explorer (also OK, but the tranny went bad at only 80k miles, and the trade-in value was a JOKE), and an accord (very good car, lasted well and great trade in value, boring design though). So I guess I've seen all sides. That said, I like the Ridgline and it would be great for my family. BUT, I would probably take it down to Baja about 4-5 times a year with an atv in the back. During my trips I typically go down a washbord dirt road for about 25 miles each way to get where I go. Until Honda has something official to say about the strut issue, there is no way I'd buy a Ridgeline. Edmunds experience and the identical reports on other sights are enough for me not to want to sign up for a problem after spending $25-30k on a vehicle. Its a shame, the trunk is fantastic, the interior size is much better than a Tacoma/Frontier, and its engine power and tow capacity are enough for me. Again, though, I think this suspension problem should be looked at and at least commented on by Honda.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    not defending Honda, but you are going to see these kinds of "discoveries" in first generation vehicles. Like our new poster indicates, suppliers that mess up, or change their manufacturing process midstream, can not totally be blamed on the manufacturer. Yes, utimately, but...

Answer this, are parents totally responsible for how their kids turn out? Do parents take the blame for issues with their kids? No point in really debating these things unless you like life as a professional debater.

Bottom line is mistakes cost manufacturers money and I am sure all of them want to avoid them up front. But they did happen and will happen. As a buyer it is best to avoid generation 1 such as the Ridgeline, even with stellar reputation all around.

John
    Edmunds experience and the identical reports on other sights are enough for me not to want to sign up

Really, Where are these other identical reports of all 4 struts failing. I'm pretty familiar with what's out there, and I'm not aware of any such reports.
  • whaleyawhaleya Member Posts: 28
    Let me get this straight, if a supplier supplies a bad part for an american car it's the supplier's fault but if a supplier supplies bad part for an import it is the car company's fault?

The real issue would be if the problem is due to a supplier design/manufacturing problem or a car company's bad design/specs. Therefore who to blame would depend on the particular part regardless of the location of the company's headquarters.

As for the strut issue, I can't comment since the struts are fine on my Ridgeline and anyways if there is a problem in the struts it's not a big deal - they can be easily replaced- not like the randomly stalling on the new Land Rovers that no one can figure out (as one example).
    Wow! You [non-permissible content removed] lovers are all alike,

When people like you post, it always brings a big smile to my face. I love to watch you Ford lovers blow a gasket over 4,500 lbs of metal and plastic. Your obviously a racist, and probably have your spy glass out watching the the california coast for Japanese Zeros on the Horizon. keep up the good work. It's enlightening posts like yours that will prevent Those "[non-permissible content removed]" companies from destroying our economy. Again, thanks for the laugh.

side note: My struts are fine after 8,000 miles of on and off road use.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Keep it civil - there is no need to attack other members when debating. If you can't restrain yourself from name-calling, this is not the place for you.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Feel free to use Google and find other reports of multiple failures from 'extreme' use like rapid travel down dirt roads. That's how I came across them. I'm glad your truck is working out. I guess Edmunds' people, and the other folks out there with the same problems are just playing Dukes of Hazard, but are somehow avoiding any additional damage one would expect from that type of activity. Sounds almost like clever, focused, intentional vandalism meant to embarass Honda......right? Yeah, that's the ticket. Shame on Edmunds. Shame on the others with knocking shocks. Tisk Tisk.
    Hey littez, just relax and take a chill pill. Yes, Honda has had it's share of recalls, just like every other auto company. But what bad info is there, after all it was reported by every media outfit. Every time there is a recall of a vehicle it is reported, so who's giving bad info. It's obvious you have a dislike for "[non-permissible content removed]"(Asian) models. That's ok, it's you're opinion. If you had read my last sentence you would have seen "lets agree to disagree". My opinion like everyone else is based on personal experience, media info, mag's, books, and web sites. It's than up to me and me only as to what to believe as factual info. If it disagrees with you're opinion, it's ok, since debate is good. But also there is something called courtesy too. If you have read any of my messages, you would not have seen any name calling or use of harsh language. This is a forum for debate on various aspects of certain types of vehicles, whether you like the vehicle or not.
  • francefrance Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased my ridgeline, and love it...but it drifts to right..told by dealship its normal.. 1-motor torque ( tire pressure equal, tire rotated, and tested while coasting in neutral) 2- factories build them this way to prevent accidents, in case you fall asleep at the wheel you wont go into oppisite traffic. any one experiencing this? is this normal? please help, mickey
    Well, I decided to take you're advise and search Google for other reports of strut failures. So far I was unable to find any, except the one from Edmunds and on the Ridgeline Owners site. If possible could you give me and others here, some info as to the sites with the multiple failures. I'm just trying to be as informed as everyone else, who own's a Ridgeline or may be thinking of purchasing one. If there is a problem with the struts, than I'd like to know more about it. If the struts (Macpherson) are bad, what about all the other vehicles that are equiped with them. It would be interesting to know if any other types of vehicles have the same problem as the Ridgeline.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    MacPherson struts aren't a brand name, they're a type of suspension. So just because one company is having issues with their parts (regardless of whether it's the supplier's fault or the vehicle manufacturer's fault) doesn't mean all the other vehicles equipped with MacPherson strut suspensions will have the same problem. Unless, of course, either the parts are identical (assuming the part is the problem) or the design is exactly the same (again, assuming that the specific design is at fault).
    You won't find the alleged posts through google because there aren't any. Anyone who is really following this knows of the few at the ROC. 5 failures out of over 30k sold. I would be happy to admit there is a widespread problem if it actually existed. I don't think the issue is Honda owners being defensive its the Honda bashers that are desperate for something to criticize Honda on. 9k on my truck and no problems, just more people asking about it including fed up Ford and Dodge owners.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    >5 failures out of over 30k sold.

That's incorrect. You mean 5 failures out of the number of vehicles being represented in the discussion here on Edmunds. That might be 100? 200? 500? How many are reading the discussion who own Ridgelines?

Then how many with failures have even posted? If they post, they get criticized. Some don't post.

Statistics...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I'm just stating the approximate number of posts. Could there be more, sure. I do know that these boards tend encourage people to post problems as they seek answers more so than those who have no problems. To say there are hundreds is pure speculation. I'm just going by what is being reported on the various forums. That's the best we got right now.