Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    read all the recent posts. AGAIN, let's just make it simple ... Ridge owners don't care about towing. How is that? Happy? Is that clear and simple enough to follow?

I was looking at edmunds numbers of 255 hp vs 295. you're right, though, i think i typed in something wrong when calculating. That's like 13.5% difference. In any case, the extra HP and torque is really necessary when you weigh 1000 lbs more.

but i dont see how you came up with 15% advantage for the honda
    EPA numbers. They are the only provable and consistent comparison we have access to. 14/18 Avalance vs 16/21 Ridge.

So, tell me something, why, if a V8 and towing matter to you, were you even looking at a crossover V6 mid-sized import??? To further my previous unmatched comparison, if I want to transport 5 full-sized adults, I DO NOT pick a Civic over a 300C. So, for all your towing needs, by all means, enjoy your Chevy and leave the happy non-towing Ridge owners in peace.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    "So, for all your towing needs, by all means, enjoy your Chevy and leave the happy non-towing Ridge owners in peace."

again your missing the point the point is for the same ballpark money i can get a veichle that has way more to offer so why would the honda be the better choice?
    il put it another way im looking for a new tv right now, i have no intention of subscribing to for high definition, does that mean that i dont want one that has it for the same price or slightly more? id be a fool not to cause 1) i might change my mind nest year and want the hd and 2)within the next year or two everthing will probly be hd anyway and il be stuck with a tv that isnt compatible.
    you get the point? mabey next year you will decide that you want a boat or a camping trailer then chances are you will need a new truck too, now im not saying to buy the bigger one on speculation that your interests might change but if i can find more truck for not a lot more money and the gas difference is hardly worth talkin about than why should i accept less
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    again your missing the point the point is for the same ballpark money i can get a veichle that has way more to offer so why would the honda be the better choice?

I can repect you needing a larger truck, or one with more towing capacity, but that's a blanket statement which doesn't fly.

The Honda has vastly superior handling both when loaded to its limit and without the load.

The Honda gets 5 stars for crash safety from every angle and four for rollover resistance. Frontal, side torso, and side curtain airbags are all standard equipment. So is stability control, ABS with brake assist, traction control, and an all-conditions AWD system.

The Avalanche gets 3 stars for the driver and 4 for the passenger. It hasn't been rated for side impacts. And it's rollover score is a 3. According to what I'm seeing, only the frontal airbags are standard(?) and ABS.

And while the Avalanche has a much larger bed, the base 1500's max payload is 1,363 (2WD) and 1,349 (4WD). And, yes, those figures must be reduced to accomodate the weight of a driver, passengers, and optional equipment. The Ridgeline is capable of hauling 1,550.

By the way, the Avalanche's towing capacity must also be reduced when you add passengers, gear, and optional equipment. The Ridgeline assumes 2 passengers and 2000 lbs of gear.

If you're thinking I could go on and on, you'd be right.

I can respect your preference for the Chevy based on towing (not hauling) or off-roading (not that the Avalanche is especially good for it, either). I'd even give you your preference for the Chevy's interior. Personal tastes being what they are and you described your criteria quite well. But when it comes to the total package... nope... a blanket statement like that last one isn't applicable. You get a whole lotta vehicle when you pay the Ridgeline's price tag. The Avalanche is only better in one or two areas.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    varmint beat me to it.

good thing, too, because he knows a heck of a lot more than I do (although i did notice that payload difference earlier, which I found very interesting).

My simple response would have been "better handling and road manners, better resale, an interior and fit and finish that I personally find more appealing."

I appreciate the point you make about the TV, because I did that very thing several years ago. I didn't have HD capability, but I bought an HD tv to accomodate it in the future (which I now use). HOWEVER, I would not have sacrificed regular television picture quality or inputs or any number of other features just to get the HD capability.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Anybody heard about any changes for the 2007 Ridgeline?
  • wikiwiki Member Posts: 3
    Suppose you're using your Ridgeline just like any other truck. So you load the bed with heavy stuff. And just then you realize, "gosh, I have something I really need in the trunk!!" What do you do then?
  • grove4grove4 Member Posts: 95
    Suppose you have regular truck and not a ridgeline.So you load the bed with heavy stuff until its full.Then you have a few things left over that cant get wet."gosh what do I do now?"Maybe you have to use your head a little.
  • gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    Uh, you're the guy who realizes that you shouldn't have bought this truck since its so complicated.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    You honda guys are TOOOOO much !
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    "Suppose you have regular truck and not a ridgeline.So you load the bed with heavy stuff until its full.Then you have a few things left over that cant get wet."gosh what do I do now?"Maybe you have to use your head a little."

if you had an avy you put it in the side compartments that you can allways get to regardless of whats in the box, oh wait never mind it dosent matter if its raining cause it comes standard with a locking weatherproof cover :)
    Maybe buy a diamond plate tool box so you can take up all the space in the bed and never have to worry about over-loading it again? :shades:

I figure for frequently used items, owners will stick them under the rear seats. A bag of golf clubs or something like that will fit under there.
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    The Avalanche gets 3 stars for the driver and 4 for the passenger.
    ------------
    Any vehicle with less than 4 stars crash rating should be banned from our roads. What kind of metal or costcutting is chevy using again to get such lousy ratings.I bet side impacts would even be worse something like two stars. With just three stars for crashworthiness, I wouldn't drive an Avalanche even if it's given for free. :shades:
    I dont know the last time my truck was loaded with heavy stuff until it was full and nothing stuck up higher than the bed sides in which case the cover would be useless..How many cubic feet are in the side compartments?Not much.
  • sanitationofcrsanitationofcr Member Posts: 9
    I agree with Maple. Not only is the Ridgeline an ugly "truck"(term used loosely), but it has no real versatility. Stick with a new F150 and you can tow and haul anything you could need and get a V8 for the same price as a Honda V6. Plus you can pretty much guarantee the thing will run forever! :shades:
    You know honda did not just throw this truck together.They took polls on what the average truck owner tows and what his day to day needs are.And they succeeded in covering 80% of the truck market.Plus you get a few innovative features and a great ride and handling for a truck.This tow thing keeps coming back and back again.I repeat people are not buying ridgelines to tow boats,campers etc..I drove all the midsize trucks before I decided on a ridgeline even though I agree that it does look odd.But that goes to show how good I thought the truck really was to buy it.I need my truck to double as a sedan also to haul a baby and I am restoring a home also so the ridgline fits my needs.I will tow a jet ski and haul my motorcycle so it fits my needs.I have a friend that has a f-150 and I cant begin to tell you the problems he has had.He is going for the lemon law.Plus ford doesnt get great reliability ratings year after year and I dont want that truck taking up most of my garage.So we have reasons here.The ridge has all I need in a better package for my needs.I have used the trunk.It is not just a gimmick.The ride is superior to anything on the market.Handling also.You know one thing I have realized is honda has there work cut out for them b/c the truck market is full of people that do not like change.Especially coming from a import.If ford had this truck people wouldnt argue over it.
    Even though I dont like the F-150 I think I will go to there boards and talk about gas tanks falling out,fuel mileage,ongoing recalls,poor resale,discounts just b/c I dont have anything better to do.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Is there a good watertight lockable cover for the Ridgeline bed? I am thinking of times when I might take the truck on family vacation. Is there a good way to use the truck bed as a giant trunk?

I thought there was like a roller shade type bed cover that some liked. Thanks.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If Honda hung the spare (full-size of course) off the back of the tailgate, but on a swing-away hinge, like that found on many mid-'90s SUVs (S-10 Blazer, Pathfinder, etc.), that would work. You may(?) have to redesign the rear step bumper to accomodate the spare, but that's no big deal.

As with the old S-10 Blazer, when you need to access the tailgate, you just swing the spare tire out of the way, then lower (or open) the tailgate (door). Since the tailgate door is hinged on the left, the tire attachment would hinged on the right. BINGO. Easy solution.

Yeah, it's an "old" idea, but it's never been applied to a pickup before—just like the Ridgeline's tailgate/door had never been applied to a pickup before.

This could be made standard or offered as an option, for those who don't care about the spare, or think that would look "ugly."

Bob
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    but it has no real versatility.

Really? spoken like someone that does'nt know a thing about the Ridgeline. The RL is the most versatile flexible vehicle I've looked at and I've looked at everything.

Stick with a new F150 and you can tow and haul anything you could need and get a V8 for the same price as a Honda V6. Plus you can pretty much guarantee the thing will run forever!

Who do you think your talking to here? People that arrived on this planet yesterday. So just how did FORD get that Fix Or Repair Daily reputation? The F150 has rep for breaking down and burning peoples homes down. I've never met a Ford owner in person that wasn't filled with complaints about their truck. I have heard a Ford diesel mechanic say he would never own one because of the inheren't unreliability of their engines.
    Wow, whatever you may want to say about the Ridgleine, lack of versatility is not one of its problems. While it may not be as tough off road as, say, an F150 4x4 (hint: for off roading get a jeep rubicon anyway), and can't tow as much as a full size pickup, it is still a far more practical and versatile vehicle than the typical 1/2 ton pickups out there for most people. It can tow 5000 pounds, which is a pretty good sized boat. It gets decent mpg. It can fit a motorcycle or atv in the back; it can fit a sheet of plywood in the back; it has side airbags standard; it seats 4, or even 5 good sized people well (tacomas and frontiers are puny inside by comparison); it has a 4 wheel dive system that makes it great for wet pavement, snow and sand, which is what most people face unless they go looking for tougher stuff; it'll fit in the garage; and you can get an RT model for under $25k.

It also has the fantastic trunk of course, as well as a power rear window, and great safety ratings all around. Good resale value also likely.

Hey, its not perfect (actually its a bit ugly), and I'd love to see some more skid plating on the bottom and possibly beefed up struts, but it is a very well thought out vehicle that already has more capabilty than 90% of office-working homeowner suburbanite weekend boater/camper/skier types will ever use. Heck, most domestic 1/2 ton pickups sold are 2 wheel drive. Unless you pull a horse trailer or run a contracting business out of your truck (probably should have a 3/4 ton pickup anyway then), a Ridgeline makes more sense for most, and you can take it to the mountains in December.
    I checked the F-150 and even with the 5.4L its payload is lower than the Ridgeline. With the 4.6L, the payload is less than even the Frontier and Tacoma.

No doubt those big trucks can tow (big time), but they can't handle weight on their suspension.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Not a bad idea.

You do know the spare can be bolted to the side of the bed on the right side? It's in the manual.
  • gonzo1124gonzo1124 Member Posts: 27
    "Not only is the Ridgeline an ugly "truck"(term used loosely), but it has no real versatility. Stick with a new F150 and you can tow and haul anything you could need and get a V8 for the same price as a Honda V6. Plus you can pretty much guarantee the thing will run forever!"

Question for you: If the Ridgeline is so ugly, how come it sold 50,000 units in just 10-months? (By the way, this was the 12-month quota). Will the Ford V-8 give you 21 MPG? Now, and let's be honest here...between a Ford and a Honda, who would you pick to run the longest with the least amount of problems? My Ford Explorers, all three of them, were just junk. I got so tired of 'living' at the dealership and getting to know everyone there by first name, that in the late 1990's I decided that this was it. From that point on, no more of my hard earned money for junk! Detroit is having all kinds of problems and issues...wonder why? Maybe it is because they are building many of their "American" vehicles in foreign countries, by "non-Americans"?
    :P
    Yes, I do know that. What I'm trying to do is to respond to those (valid) criticisms of what do you do when you have a flat with the bed loaded. It's a real pain to have to unload the bed to get to the spare. Even with the spare mounted in the bed, it still could be a problem.

Another possibility is up front under the hood, mounted vertically in front of the radiator. There's a ton of empty space in Ridgeline's engine compartment, and maybe that could be better utilized to handle a spare tire? Yes, there would be heat issues and crash-worthy issues to deal with, that would like require a lot of reengineering to the front in order to do so. Also the hood would have to be redesigned to open down to the lower edge of the front bumper, so that there wouldn't be a high lift-over problem.

That's why I like the rear gate mounted spare best. It's less controversial, there is precedence for this with SUVs. I think it's an idea that could be easily "sold" to the truck market.

Bob
    Wow, so much concern over spare tire access. I haven't had a flat in 10 years. Moreover, almost all cars out there require you to unload the trunk to acess the spare, so a little inconvenience in this regard is nothing new. Yeah, I suppose hypothetically it could be a pain to get a flat the day you haul that load of gravel, but I just can't work myself up to being concerned about this issue, considering the incredible amount of utility provided by the trunk and the infrequency of flats (carry a can of fix a flat if so worried?). Also, as an aside, I read about a guy who took his ridgeline on a long trip around several states and took the spare out of the trunk, cable locked it toward the front of the bed, and used the extra space in the trunk for all his luggage and gear for the trip. Again, that trunk is a fantastic feature for a pickup. Too bad Ford didn't incorporate a trunk into its new sport trac. Pity the domestics, always one generation behind.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Data:
    2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
    Max.Payload Cap. 1716 lbs.
    Max. Towing Cap. 8400 lbs.

2006 Ford F-150
    Lariat 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)
    Max.Payload Cap. 1560 lbs.
    Max. Towing Cap. 8200 lbs.

2006 Honda Ridgeline
    RTL 4dr Crew Cab AWD SB (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
    Max.Payload Cap. 1554 lbs.
    Max. Towing Cap. 5000 lbs.

Data found on Edmunds Chevy Head to Head option.

Just wanted to clear things up and post some factual data. The Ford is slightly higher (6lbs) than the Honda.
    I haven't had a flat in 10 years. Moreover, almost all cars out there require you to unload the trunk to acess the spare, so a little inconvenience in this regard is nothing new.

The key word in your post is "car." This is not a car, but a truck. Trucks are far more subject to flat tires than cars, due to the increased loads (payload, towing and off-roading) imposed upon them. Unloading a full trunk of a car is a lot easier than unloading a full bed of a truck (and in the case of the Ridgeline, full trunk too).

For the record, I've had 2 flats this past year, one in a SUV, the other in a car.

Bob
    My mistake. I got the numbers from the flareside F-150 (so many configurations I missed that detail). But I agree the styleside would be more comparable. Figures for the flareside are...

1280 - 4.6L
    1480 - 5.4L

The styleside version does have a higher payload with the 5.4L...

1430 - 4.6L
    1630 - 5.4L

Source = Ford.com

Ford's website does not provide specifics on their ratings. However, in the past when I've checked on other Ford vehicles, they've claimed only the weight of the driver. The weight of passenger's and gear must be subtracted from the max payload.

The Chevy I was comparing earlier was the Avalanche, not the Silverado. Since you've added it... Chevy's site backs up the 1716 lbs figure you found. Once again, with the caveat that passengers and gear must be subtracted from that number.

Once again, the Honda's numbers assume you have the vehicle loaded with 2 passengers (I think they mean one driver and one passenger) plus 200 lbs of cargo. Add that weight back into the Ridgeline's payload rating and we're north of the Ford and Chevy once more.
    In the interest of posting accurate information...

Question for you: If the Ridgeline is so ugly, how come it sold 50,000 units in just 10-months? (By the way, this was the 12-month quota).

The figure at the end of the year was 42,593. That was a 10 month total, as you wrote. And they are very likely to make the 50K figure they announced at release. But they have not made it, yet.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    The figure at the end of the year was 42,593. That was a 10 month total, as you wrote. And they are very likely to make the 50K figure they announced at release. But they have not made it, yet.

In the interest of accurate information:
    It appears the Ridgeline has exceeded Honda's goal and still has 2 months to go.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/naias2006/honda/ridgeline/page1.html

Following a slow start, the Ridgeline has exceeded Honda’s sales expectations. Honda had projected sales of 50,000 units in the first 12 months.

“December was our peak month,” said Gary Flint, the chief engineer on the Ridgeline who spoke with PUTC after the award was announced at the North American International Auto Show. “So far we’ve sold about 47,000 units and it’s been on sale since March 1. That’s just in the United States. We’ve also sold about 8,000 in Canada.”

Flint attributed the sluggish early numbers to introducing a “unique vehicle” into a conservative marketplace.

“We feel we’ve finally got to the point where the market understands it,” said Flint. “But there’s still a significant part of the market that isn’t aware of the vehicle.”

Industry observers have questioned the Ridgeline’s high starting price when compared to compact pickup market.

“We never really targeted the compact truck set,” explained Flint. “If you look at the really narrow segment that compares to a fully equipped 4-door crew cab compact truck, Ridgeline is the best selling vehicle out there. But that’s really a very narrow market.”Flint said he sees future customers coming out fullsize SUVs and pickups “because of some of the negative experiences they’ve had.”
    “I think the market potential is about double where we’re at now,” added Flint.
    I was wrong to suggest that if Honda were to offer the Ridgeline with a tailgate-mounted/hinged spare, that it would be a first for a pickup. The Hummer H2 SUT is already thusly equipped. Still, it's a good solution to an exhisting problem.

http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/home.jsp

Click on on H2 SUT links. Note that the SUT's spare tire hinged gate is actually mounted to the bumper, and not the rear fender. I like this idea even better, as it is less disrupting to the styling (black tire gate blends into the black bumper very nicely).

Bob
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Sorry Bob I disagree with swinging tailgate/spare idea. I grew up with my parent's old station wagon of the 70's and 80's with the swinging tailgate and owned a S-15 Jimmy with the swinging spare. They worked well when they had room and a parked level. On any kind of incline they were a PAIN. Either hard to close or wouldn't stay open. One worse for the spare tire was forgetting to close it and then driving off. It closed with a bang after a block or so...

--j
    That sounds more like lousy GM engineering than anything else. If it have a cam-like hinge, like that found on car doors, it would stay open; as for hard to close, again, lousy GM engineering.

Years ago I had an early Isuzu Trooper with a rear door (not a hatch). When that door was open, it locked in place. The way you closed it, you reached down, pushed a release lever and then it would close. No problems whatsoever with latching and/or closing when not wanted. A rear tire gate could easily be engineered to work the same way.

With any solution there are going to be compromises of one sort or another.

Bob
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    "I've never met a Ford owner in person that wasn't filled with complaints about their truck."

Well, this is your lucky day. I wouldn't trade my F-150 for any other truck on the planet. Wonderful ride, loads of power and a joy to drive. We all drive and buy what we like. Maybe if we stick to facts and avoid urban myths and personal opinions we would all get along so much better. I appreciate what the Ridgeline is made to do and can see why it would be appealing to Joe Homeowner. It's just not for me.
    Will the Ford V-8 give you 21 MPG? Now, and let's be honest here...between a Ford and a Honda, who would you pick to run the longest with the least amount of problems? My Ford Explorers, all three of them, were just junk. I got so tired of 'living' at the dealership

First, of course we don't get 21 mpg city driving. I get 14. Second, your statement about the Explorer robbed you of your credibility, IMO. No one would buy a third piece of junk if they had bought two pieces of junk to begin with. I contend your Explorers (if they existed) were just fine. Besides, you can't compare Explorers to Ridgelines here.
  • gonzo1124gonzo1124 Member Posts: 27
    "In the interest of posting accurate information...The figure at the end of the year was 42,593. That was a 10 month total, as you wrote. And they are very likely to make the 50K figure they announced at release. But they have not made it, yet."
    Again, get your facts straight before you post.
    :P
    I got the numbers from the flareside F-150 (so many configurations I missed that detail).

Thanks for pointing out one of the things that makes the Ford F-150 such a nice truck!
    You know, you can configure these trucks any way you want to make the numbers say what you want them to say. Here's one:

2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL (3.5L 6 cyl/5A)
    255 hp/252 ft-lbs torque @ 4500 RPM
    Max Payload: 1554 lbs
    Max Towing: 5000 lbs

2006 Silverado LT 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft SB (5.3L 8cyl/4A)
    295 hp/335 ft-lbs torque @ 4000 RPM
    Max Payload: 1913 lbs
    Max Towing: 7700 lbs

2006 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.5 ft SB (5.4L 8cyl/4A)
    300 hp/365 ft-lbs torque @ 3750 RPM
    Max Payload: 1710 lbs
    Max Towing: 8500 lbs

(source: edmunds.com comparison feature)

The payload and towing possibilities can go on and on. I did not look at 4WD trucks for two reasons. One, because the RL is not 4WD, it is AWD. There is a big difference between the two. Two, you would only tow in 4WD if you were pulling a boat out of the water or something heavy up a hill. Not for towing a trailer down the highway.
    "I checked the F-150 and even with the 5.4L its payload is lower than the Ridgeline."

Don't you just hate it when the facts get in the way of a good story?
    One, because the RL is not 4WD, it is AWD.

Oh really? Tell that to Toyota. They market their Highlander (AWD) as 4WD, same with the RAV4. Honda markets the CRV, Pilot and Ridgeline (AWD) as 4WD. Subaru used to market their AWD as 4WD.

Yeah, yeah, I know they don't have a low range, or a dedicated part-time 4WD mode—but still all 4 wheels are being powered, and is therefore 4WD (or AWD if you please).

4WD and AWD are nothing more than "marketing" terms, and each manufacturer uses either term depending on the kind of image they want to evoke.

Let me ask you this: Is the full-time AWD found on the GMC Denali and Caddy Escalade not 4WD? It's on a full-size truck platform, and powers all 4 wheels all the time, but it doesn't have a low range.

Bob
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    how does toyota 'market' their pickup trucks?
    IMO. they are 4wd. highlander, etc, are awd.
    there is a difference between 4wd and awd.
    explorers were available in awd OR 4wd versions. seperate models.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    I must say to the Honda folks that if you just ignored all the comments from the 'Merican truck owners they might actually go away and play on their own forum.

Keep in mind that I own 2 Hondas, a CR-V and an Ody, but I would love to have a Ridgeline. They are cool trucks. I have been very impressed with the 3 Honda cars and 7 different Honda motorcycles I have owned. They have all been great. The Ridgeline trunk in my opinion is very cool and smart. The areas that concern me about the Ridgeline is the styling, both interior and exterior, and the way the bed scratches up so easily. I have test driven 2 or 3 and looked at at least a hundred of them, and the bed gets really scuffed up. I would get a Rhino spray in liner even with the composite bed, just for the aesthetics if nothing else.

I have also owned 4 Fords: 2 pickups, both Supercabs, one 4WD and one 2WD, an AWD V-8 Explorer and even an Aerostar minivan. All of those Fords were great vehicles. I can't say they were completely trouble free, but everything was taken care of under warranty and in a reasonable amount of time and that is all I feel you can ask for. You can say that I am a Ford fan as well (just ask my kids, they know that our family "hates Chevys".

Before I bought my 06 CR-V I test drove the new Explorer, the new F-150, Escape, the Ridgeline and Pilot too. They are all nice vehicles meant to be just right for somebody. I honestly think Ford went way in the wrong direction on their new interiors in the F150 and the Explorer, but I don't bash people who buy them. If you like it and the vehicle fits YOUR needs, go for it.

To argue about whose truck is better objectively is pretty amusing to watch from the sidelines but I doubt anybody is going to change any minds in this venue.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

TB
    IMO. they are 4wd. highlander, etc, are awd.

Maybe in your opinion they're AWD, but Toyota puts a "4WD" badge on them, and refers to their drive system in all their marketing a "4WD."

My point is that any vehicle in which all 4 wheels are powered is 4WD. Yes, the term "4WD" is often referred to rugged, truck-based vehicles, whereas "AWD" is mostly meant for on-road vehicles—but regardless—they're all "4WD."

As I said before, it's nothing more than a MARKETING game.

Bob
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Maybe in your opinion they're AWD, but Toyota puts a "4WD" badge on them, and refers to their drive system in all their marketing a "4WD.""

The Sienna & Highlander are AWD. The Rav4, 4Runner and all the trucks are 4WD. The two systems are different, especially if they need to be towed, both are appropriately badged.

I was flipping through brochures in a dealership just last week and this was very apparent.
    Go look at the back of the RAV4 and Highlander and see what kind of badge Toyota sticks on them (hint: it isn't "AWD").

Next time don't "flip" through those brochures. Read them instead and you will not see the term AWD used, but you will see 4WD used.

Bob
    My mistake on the Highlander.

Since you're the reading expert, I would have thought you would notice that I mentioned the Rav4 was badged and advertised as 4WD.

I noticed you left out the AWD Sienna?
    http://www.toyota.com/sienna/specs.html
    "Is the full-time AWD found on the GMC Denali and Caddy Escalade not 4WD? It's on a full-size truck platform, and powers all 4 wheels all the time, but it doesn't have a low range."

Hey, Bob, those AWD SUVs are not 4WD. There is a difference. Four wheel drive is usually selected for a certain situation and then you put it back in RWD. It is a more "rugged" application. AWD is more of a way to maintain traction in the rain. Let me ask you, would you rather deliver medicine across the Sahara or up the side of a mountain in an AWD Highlander, Ridgeline, Forester or Escalade or in a 4WD F-150, Suburban or Land Rover? Of course you would choose 4WD.

Many AWD systems do not give the same power to all wheels like 4WD does. 4WD offers high and low range options. Some AWD systems like on Honda CR-V and Saturn VUE really run FWD 99% of the time. It's only when the front wheels lose traction that the rear wheels kick in--and then turn right back off when traction is restored. Some are full time--like on Subarus. There is a difference--and it's not just because Honda uses AWD.
    "Some are full time--like on Subarus. There is a difference--and it's not just because Honda uses AWD."

True for SOME Subarus...

Subie uses several different systems.

Most of the automatic tranny equipped Subies use a system similar to Honda's Real-Time system, with clutches driving the rear wheels when needed. Other Subarus, including all manual transmission and high-performance autos, use a mechanical system that can't be shut off. The giveaway to which system a given Subaru has is the presence of an "FWD" fuse slot and often the size of the spare tire. Inserting a fuse in this normally-empty slot locks the car into front wheel drive, allowing a donut spare to be used or the car to be towed with the rear wheels on the ground.

The mechanical Subaru AWD system cannot be disengaged, so a narrow, but full circumference spare is included. These must always be flatbedded.

Subaru also builds some non-USA spec cars with a dual-range transfer case, so I guess that would be yet another sister, possibly based on the older 4WD system?
    Re: Your RAV4 comment. Yep, my mistake.

I left out the Sienna because Toyota markets it as AWD, not 4WD.

Bob
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    It's a moot point any more. My Silverado is a true 4WD, but the Auto4WD mode works like many AWD vehicles in that it powers two drive wheels (rear, in this case) unless slip is detected, at which point it transfers power to the front. The real difference in this situation is that I have a selectable mode that is rear-wheels-only in addition to a high and low range transfer case.

Some AWD systems are pretty impressive in the methods they use too, though. Especially those that are continuously delivering power to all four wheels, but vary the bias depending on which is getting the best traction.

Both have their pros and cons. I actually would favor AWD for most on-road uses (thinking about what I'd let my wife drive) because it's mostly idiot-proof (not saying my wife's an idiot- sorry honey ;) ). No need to decide if you need to be in 4wd or figure out how to change modes for it.

grove4:
    Basically, drive conservatively.
    -Follow the speed limit, at least in 65mph+ zones. These bricks suffer exponential mileage losses as speed goes up, thanks to wind resistance
    -Accelerate slowly, as if there is an egg under the throttle. A good compromise, especially with GM vehicles, is to keep the engine under 2000 rpms most of the time.
    -Avoid speed changes as much as possible. Slowing down and speeding up uses more fuel than steady cruising.
    -Anticipate stops / slow downs. If there's a stoplight coming up try to time it so that there's no need to stop, don't follow other traffic so slowly that a turning vehicle in front requires hard braking, etc.
    -tonneau cover? Lightweight cloth cover may be best. I really saw no change for my fold-a-cover hard cover, but the added weight may offset any slight mileage improvement.
    -If you don't have a tonneau or a topper, keep the tailgate up. Conventional wisdom might make you think that the flat upright surface blocks air, creating drag. But several different studies have shown the opposite (college studies, MythBusters, to name two sources I've seen). In fact, the tailgate traps a pocket of swirling air behind the cab, which serves as a buffer to the air traveling over the truck, directing it down behind the tailgate / bumper. Lowering the tailgate disrupts the trapped bubble and results in air being directed vertically down on the (now) horizontal surface, and actually increases the drag.

As far as my experiences have gone, driving style has made the biggest difference. Don't drive aggressively and be a bit patient, and mileage goes up. Start getting angry or rushing, getting a heavier foot, and it drops like a rock.
    (This probably would work in a Ridgeline too- I'm guessing I could see higher mileage than average Ridge owners, but haven't driven one to see, so..)