Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• accwgnaccwgn Member Posts: 5
    That storage bin under the bed was probably designed-in to accomodate the batteries of a future Hybrid version.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    True, but in the meantime it is a great idea for built in, securable, and easily accessible storage without having to opt for a hard cover on the bed; esp if it is weather-proof.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    qbrozen

You have mail.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "That storage bin under the bed was probably designed-in to accomodate the batteries of a future Hybrid version."

Very possible.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Ridgeline is built on Honda's light truck platform (shared by Odyssey, Pilot and MDX). Accord uses global midsize car platform which is completely different from this platform.

In fact, there are substantial differences between Odyssey and Pilot as well. Ridgeline is more Pilot-like in chassis design but not identical either. It is using a mixture of unit-body and ladder frame chassis design (some of it is true for Pilot as well, but not to be seen in Odyssey). I posted a picture earlier, and here is another...

The ladder frame set up is painted in red, unitbody in yellow.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I expected the Avalanche to be a targeted competitor also, but Honda specifically pointed out the midsize entries as the competition. Still wish the city EPA was higher than 16.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    i stand corrected - Odyssey apparently moved away from the Accord platform in '99 (source: msnautos).

As far as this new vehicle goes, according to the presentation at the autoshow (thanks to robr2 for sending me this), the ridgeline is a new truck platform with a 93% original frame, so actually not even close to the Pilot, Odyssey, or MDX. Interesting. Again, I find this rather strange with only a slight increase in towing and hauling capabilities over the Pilot, but I guess they felt they needed to do it.

It does account for that price problem, though. Gotta pay for the development of a new platform like that. Based on the anticipated price, I think it won't have great sales. I think many folks (since the majority of buyers/owners of SUVs don't tend to do anything "rugged" with their vehicles) would opt for the Pilot instead. If they can bring that price down a bit and save folks some money by giving up the 3rd row of seating, then I think that will bolster sales much more.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The towing capacity may not be much more than that of the Pilot, but the Ridgeline comes complete with the transmission and oil coolers factory installed whereas you have to pay for them (and the install) on the Pilot.

The Ridgeline is exactly what my wife would want. She is an avid gardener and often comes home with barrels of mulch and piles of rocks in the Odyssey (or worse, bills for delivery of said materials). Yet she hauls our kids around and needs the passenger space.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I love the Ridgeline! But primarily because it is a Honda, and secondarily because it has truck features.

My question will be driver space. Where will the Ridgeline fit in the hierarchy of Honda light trucks for driver space? The lack of tilt and telescoping wheel makes some Honda light trucks too small for me because the wheel interferes with my long legs. In the case of the CR-V, the dash hits my shin.

I got excited when I saw that the Ridgeline had an "adjustable wheel" in the specs. For a sec I thought this might include telescope. Alas, at least if the Element or Pilot are any guide, their "adjustable wheels" are tilt only and no telescope.

Odyssey

MDX

---------------

Above this line, I fit in. Below I do not.

---------------

Pilot

Element

CR-V

I have an '03 Accord sedan that fits great - thanks to the the telescoping wheel.

So the question for me is, is the Ridgeline driver ergonomics be more like an MDX or a Pilot, or something new? Bottom line is I hope I fit because it seems like a very nice vehicle.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Has anyone seen the capacity (cubic feet) of the under bed cargo? I wonder how usable it will be. It is an interesting idea.

Also, I think the combined unibody / frame is a great idea. While it is true that trucks need a strong ladder frame, body on frame designs tend to rattle more. Unibodies are tighter, but can't take punishment as well, and they do not have good anchor points for towing. Sounds like Honda has got the best of both worlds.

I just don't know if I should wait for the inevitable hybrid with variable displacement. Of course that would probably lose the underbed storage. But I think a hybrid with a tow mode (where the engine remains in full six cylinders) would be useful.

One more thing - Does this thing have a low range? I doubt it but wish I would be surprised.
    Has anyone seen the capacity (cubic feet) of the under bed cargo? I wonder how usable it will be. It is an interesting idea.

According to the intro transcript you can fit 3 golf bags in it.

AFAIK, no low range.
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    I really need a truck asap but wanted a Honda thus I waited impatiently for the Ridegeline. Now that it's out it seem to be a watered down version of the concept model.Has anyone here been to the Detroit car show?It seems so dull and bland, even ugly in the pictures that I've seen.The Tacoma didn't impress me in the pictures but it sure was good looking in real life. Can anyone say the same thing for the Ridgeline?

Based on looks alone, is it comparable to the Taco? Please don't lecture me on the long history of the Taco thus it's more reliable, coz I have an 03 first time Honda Pilot SUV and it sure hasn't given me a single headache.I'm gonna pick one of them 80% based on the looks alone, Honda with a slight edge by virtue of standard safety features.
  • rencorenco Member Posts: 38
    What is it? I've seen both 1100 and 1549 quoted.
    The inbed trunk has a volume of 8.5 cu.ft. Folks on another forum were joking about it being the offical truck of the Soprano family as they figure an adult body will fit inside. :-)

Also read that the Ridgeline has been inhouse crash tested with good scores. That includes with its payload maxxed out. Apparently, when the Tundra was tested the same way, the mass of the cargo buckled the wall between bed and passenger compartment. Honda reinforced the area to prevent that.
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    i think only Honda homers could find it priced competitively. that's over 5-10k more than comparatively equipped models from the competition (compact and midsized pickups). heck, Yota Tacos and Tundras can be bought for around 12k and 15k respectively. Dodge Dakota, Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado and Nissan Frontier are all considerably cheaper. basically, the Ridgeline has full-size pickup pricing. i'm mildly puzzled of where Honda could find customers for the Ridgeline outside of the Honda faithful that would rather overspend than leave the Honda brand. i'm sure unitbodies designs are more expensive to produce, but customers may not be so understanding.
    I am not sure you're comparing apples to apples here. 12/15K trucks are king cab at best, 2wd, and usually base models. If you compare crew cabs, 4wd, and as similar of features as possible, most of the other trucks jump at least into the 20Ks; for the "Yota" models, close to 30K and up.

Not to say that it IS priced competitively, but it is certainly a far cry better both in price and practicality than its visually similar, yet useless, counterparts of GM's Avalanche lineup.

As markets expand, companies will continue to break away from the traditional in attempts to better meet customer needs.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • chuck999chuck999 Member Posts: 38
    QUOTE:

"If they put VCM on it, it will end up with this: VCM will not be active for most of time."

Not so sure this is true - when cruising on flat ground at 65-75 mph how much power is really required? My guess is 25-75 hp. This could EASILY be made with 3 cylinders (1/2 of 250 = 125 hp).

BUT - don't know how much fuel the VCM saves in real life anyway. Would have to ask a 2005 Odyssey owner .....
    Now that we've seen it I'm a little doubtful that this will be a blockbuster. Why?

1. Kind of bland styling. Go to the toyota or nissan websites. Check out that flashy red tacoma, that brawny tundra, the beefy NISMO frontier. The Ridgeline pales in contrast.

2. Somewhat limited offroad ability. No low gear. No skid plates. Honda specifically NEVER says "Offroad" - just uses the odd term "rough road" While very few drivers ACTUALLY take their trucks offroad - LOTS of drivers like to think that they could.

3. Unimpressive gas mileage - 16/21 really is in same range as the competition. I thought Honda would do better. The Tacoma actually gets a tad better mileage. The TUNDRA gets 15/18 but has a V8.

4. As a "work truck". Bed and load carrying seem VERY competitive (1500 lbs in TUNDRA/Titan range) Thought a basic version would be great for roofers, sheet rock guys, etc. 1500 lbs is great load - but bed doesn't seem well adapted to ladder racks etc. Maybe I'm wrong on this.

5. Marketing: From release and website it looks like they're trying very hard to sell the Ridgeline to folks who already own dirt bikes and ATV's. "wheel dents" in bed? Good luck! My guess is that most of those guys already own a big Ford or Chevy rig.

Maybe they're acting on "market research". Could this be the same market research that told them to market the Element to 20 year olds, when median age of actual buyers is more like 40! ....

On the Plus Side:

1. VSA and SAB on all models. This is GREAT, and a big competitive advantage. BUT - SAB and VSA are "available" on other trucks too...

2. VTM-4. If you've driven it in bad weather, you know this system is fantastic. But again, not sure how many truck buyers would be swayed by full time AWD ...

3. Sizing. This might be just right for many, a bit wider than the small trucks like Tacoma and Frontier (almost as wide as Titan and Tundra), but not as long as the full sized PU's.

4. Driving. Frankly, nearly every honda I've ever driven has been "fun" to drive, from a little Civic, to my wife's MDX. I'd be surprised if the Ridgeline didn't have a MUCH nicer ride than the competition ...

Personally - it's a tossup for me. While I appreciate the safety features, VTM-4 and the ride, it's going to be hard to plunk down so much cash on a truck that's so much less attractive than the competition. Maybe it's better in real life?!
    Although someone mentioned this earlier - after lots of wondering just who and what Honda was targeting with this truck found this link ..

http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/

Wow - other than "midgate" specs seem fairly similar. About 8 inches ground clearance. 5 foot long 4 foot wide bed. Seats 5. Horsepower similar. Load carrying similar. Overall dimensions similar (Avalanche a little bigger). When you look at 34k for the Avalanche - the 27-32k Ridgeline price seems more reasonable. AND, in comparision to the Avalanche styling - the Ridgline starts to look "attractive" !!
    I think the Ridgeline is meant to compete somewhere between the Ford SportTrac and the Avalanche. It is definitely not a bare bones sport truck. Nor is it competition for the big trucks. It's very much a niche vehicle, geared more toward family guys than working stiffs.

I agree that the gas mileage is a bit low (for a Honda). And the price is high. But it's also fully loaded. If the market won't pay that price, Honda will probably have to introduce decontented trims.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    with this truck. However, I avoid first year releases, and I would really like a VCM or a hybrid option (mileage is important, I want to see 25 mpg highway). I will likely hold out hoping for these options, or, that the price will drop. My last two cars ended up being a Mazda MPV and a Subaru Forester, but each time I was buying, the local Honda dealers were tacking on additional dealer markups on TOP of the MSRP. Heck, I could not even test drive an Odyssey because everything was "presold". So, Honda lost those two sales.

John
    I feel your pain. I am likely going to be buying a new vehicle within the next year and the one I have my eye on will probably be one of those MSRP+ sellers. At that point in time, I will have to decide whether the car is worth the markup.

Having said that, I doubt very much the dealer "lost those two sales" or will lose mine if I opt not to pay. The dealer merely makes the sale to someone else. The only loss involved is that we don't get our car. We keep our money as compensation for that loss.

But I kinda doubt the Ridgeline will be one of those MSRP + vehicles. I expect it will sell more like the Element. The Element exceeds sales expectations, but only went at MSRP for a few months. In most areas of the country, good deals could be had within 4-6 months after release.
  • wanna_suvwanna_suv Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you on price. The Element was MSRP and even MSRP+ for a while when it was hot and "new". Probably six months after it hit the lots, you could start getting them for much lower. Some of that is demand and I really think that some of that is also due to some dealerships choosing to move quantity at lower profit and selling for $99 over invoice, etc. creating a competitively priced lower number. Who knows.

Time will tell on the Ridgeline. I'm founder of both the Element Owners Club and now the Ridgeline Owners Club so I can stay on top of both. ;) It should be interesting to watch.
  • j orbj orb Member Posts: 4
    The Avalanche is a true truck and has the best sound system available in any truck (need to get buckets though).
    I don't believe in real truck (then we could be talking semis). It is all about whether a pickup meets your needs, or not.
    "I think the Ridgeline is meant to compete somewhere between the Ford SportTrac and the Avalanche"

Good point. I'm not so sure, though, that the Ridgeline won't be able to snare some Avalanche prospects. Althought the A. has longer wheelbase and is heavier, the interior and cargo dimensions are not that far off. And if you think 32k MSRP for a Ridgeline is high, go to www.carmax.com and check ridgeline prices. List well over 40k and 34-36K street price. Wow - makes Ridgeline look like a bargain.

When shopping for my wife's car, we compared the Pilot to lots of "bigger" suv's. Thing was, the folding seats and interior design of the Pilot were much more efficient, and it could essentially haul just as much stuff .......

Maybe Ridgeline will be the same - bigger truck's hauling ability in a smaller package. Note that the double cab Titan's bed is about same as Ridgeline .....
    Cons:

Bland styling

Limited 4wd capability (no low range)

Less MPG than I hoped for. Not sure why it is lower than Pilot or Odyssey. I was hoping for variable displacement.

Pros:

It is a Honda. I've never actually owned one, but I respect them. I would not be worried about being a first year tester for a Honda.

I have not been in one, but I am guessing that interior will have more room and comfort than a Frontier or Tacoma.

I am also guessing that ride / handling will be better than a traditional truck. This while offering good payload and towing.

I've got to admit, at this point I think my next truck will be a Frontier crew cab, primarily because of my work which occasionally includes off road driving. But I am going to think long and hard about the Honda. In terms of pricing, loaded Frontiers and Tacomas will both crack $30k, so I think the Honda will be competitive.

Also, while many of us are comparing it to Tacoma and Frontier, I think many other buyers will be deciding between the Ridgeline and a midsized SUV, so from that perspective pricing seems more favorable.
  • cr vcr v Member Posts: 23
    Pro's & Con's

In general I like idea of a lockable storage under the bed (honest thieves only)Have read that they are water proof and a drain plug. In the real world we encounter different situations.

The cargo bed loaded with what ever and down the road we encounter a flat tire. Unload cargo bed to get the spare tire?? or maybe remove the spare 1st then load cargo and locate spare else where??

How about the climate?? Rain-Snow-Freezing Rain plus dirt and grime (the real world) I relate to my 2002 Chevy 2500 HD 3/4 ton with the spare tire up under the rear frame and must say I have turned the air blue on several occasions with the SOB.

So what I am trying to say here could these storage area's be frozen shut by the weather man, kinda like when the climate is in a thaw and freeze mode or a visit to the car wash These I have encountered frozen up power windows (thank god in the up postion) Or the tail gate on my Chevy that doesn't open or can't latch closed.

So what are the tools to keep us mobile?? A shovel or broom (snow removal) a 12 or 120 volt heat gun or maybe methyl hydrate (assist in opening frozen lids) A Vac or Blower to keep the gasket seal area clean) A solid or sliding Tonneau lid (could restrict loading bikes or ATV).

I look forward to constructive solutions on this topic.
    I look forward to constructive solutions on this topic.

I guess it all depends on your own situation. The spare in this well doesn't concern me. I have not had a flat in my Odyssey in the 5 years of ownership. The "spare" complaint in this vehicle is that the spare is stored under the front seats and the flat tire has to be stored in the rear well - tough to do in a loaded van.

With regards to freezing up in the situations you describe, a trunk could freeze up as well limiting access to the spare in a car.

With an undermounted spare you have to contend with climbing under the vehicle in sloppy weather to remove the spare or unload the cargo area to lower the spare in most minivans.

There is no easy solution but if it concerns you that much - take the spare out of the well and store it in the bed or back seat.
    There is no "good" solution for storing a full-size spare. I share concerns about having to remove cargo from the bed-trunk, but any SUV or sedan with the spare stored under the cargo area has the same problem. We've been living with it for decades.

Of course, you could solve all the access problems with an external spare (like the CR-V), but they you have people complaining about crash damage.

Like I said before, there is no "good" solution for storing a full-size spare.

As far as the bed-trunk goes, I'm really warming up to it. I thought it was a gimmick at first. Now, I think it works well. I see many, many small and large pick-ups with those diamond-plate job boxes taking up space in the bed. This design allows you to keep full use of the bed and still have some storage.
    Like I said before, there is no "good" solution for storing a full-size spare.

varmint - I'll bet in Japan someone came up with a hood mounted spare kit for the CRV ala the old Defenders.
    Varmint made a good point about the tool boxes. A lot of folks use them to get some lockable storage, but they are pretty small and they take up a chunk of your bed. It seems like a Ridgeline with underbed storage would give you great utility.

For small / midsized trucks your choices used to be:

1. Get a King Cab with a 6' bed. Put in a tool box and get an effective 5' bed.

2. Get a crew cab with a 5' bed. Put a tool box in it, and your effective 4' bed is practically useless.

3. Get a crew cab long bed (like the previous Frontier or new Tacoma). End up with a truck as long and as difficult to park as a full sized, and wonder why you did not go ahead and get a full sized truck.

I think Honda really has something here. I just wish I liked the styling more.
    Anyone know what the two rectangular slots on lower left and right front end (bumper area) are for?? fog lamps or what??
    My brother owns an old Ranger with a tool box in the bed. My best friend has an S10 (I've tried to talk to him. He won't listen.) and also has a box in the bed. Both allow you to slide thin items under the box. So you can still get lumber or pipe in there. But the boxes are both much wider than 12". It's more like 18-20".

Those slots look too thin for foglamps. Maybe they're just decorative(?)
  • gugimanngugimann Member Posts: 11
    i found a great website for this truck, i can't wait until its out,

truck.honda.com

trust me it has every thing, from mileage to theparts its the best i can find
    Have you ever been caught out on a trip when the weather is ok then suddenly you are in adverse weather conditions (Fog,Blinding snow blizzard like or swirling snow caused by the vehicle in front of you ??) And most often you can't see the tail lights of the vehicle in front of you (low wattage 3 or 5 watts and covered with snow,big trucks are the worst)Quite often you can pick out the head lights of oncoming traffic.

What I am trying to get at here is we have TOTALLY inadequate lights on the rear of a vehicle under adverse weather conditions.Every year the News Media will report about multi vehicle pile ups. Most often caused by driving to fast for road conditions,but like I said you can't see the vehicle ahead of you due to inadequate rear lights. All the major vehicle makers don't address this issue, I stand corrected here (Standard on the European Mini Cooper but optional on the USA Version (hello a $300 dealer installed option) A Rear Fog Lamp (Red) can save your butt and others.Check it out.

<http://www.eautoworks.com> (if link doesn't work type in PIAA Deno 3 Rear fog lamp kit red LED, Google Search.No I don't work for the company and if you have any other links on this subject would appreciate.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    I'm lukewam (actually a little cold) on the styling of the Ridgeline....Like most recent Hondas, they could've done a lot better. It does have some cool & usefull features though, especially the Trunk In Bed. For the intended use of the truck (light duty leisure), it should work ok, though I'd carry a can of tire inflator with me....can you imagine having a load of drywall or gravel in the bed and then getting a flat?
    Hahah! Yeah, and in reality that's the ONLY time you'd ever get a flat! Oy, life's little ironies....

It's a good thing it only has a 1500lb payload capacity. It wouldn't take too long to shovel a 1/2 yard or so of gravel out - and then back in!
  • darknight1darknight1 Member Posts: 13
    Heck, I don't care where the spare is. That's why I have AAA! ;)
  • darknight1darknight1 Member Posts: 13
    Maybe, but can you imagine checking the oil?

Having to lift up 40 pounds worth of tire and hood would not be fun.
    Maybe, but can you imagine checking the oil?

Now who really checks their oil? :)
    I saw this morning on MSN.com a report on the auto show. They had the Honda Ridgeline and Subaru Tribeca as "Not Hot". Apparently they said the styling of both vehicles had gotten a luke warm reception in Detroit.

From a styling point of view, I have to agree. Of the two, I can deal with the somewhat bland styling of the Ridgeline better, and it does not kill my interest in the truck.

Regarding the placement of the spare. If you drive around with a load of gravel all the time, I think the Ridgeline is not for you, and you should be looking at a more traditional truck. For me, I would much rather take the chance of having to move the occasional bulky item I would be carrying to know that I would not have to crawl around in the dirt to get to a spare located on the underside of the vehicle. In terms of this vehicle's niche and mission, I think they made a good choice.

Last issue. Has anyone seen how the back seats work? I am hoping for Nissan style flip up seat bottoms to create a flat floor for interior cargo and most importantly dogs. My dogs do not do well perched upon the tops of seats, and fold down seats (such as the current Sport Trac or the silly Colorado / Canyon twins) create an awfully high climb for aging mutts. Not a deal breaker, but I would be dissapointed if Honda does not have the flip up seat cushions in the rear.
    Honda has used Flip Down and Flip Up rear seats in its sub-compact car (Honda City).

Ridgeline does have (split) flip up rear seats.

"Now who really checks their oil? :)"

With a CR-V? There's been lots of attention to oil with those!
    Oil Filters maybe.
    "From a styling point of view, I have to agree. Of the two, I can deal with the somewhat bland styling of the Ridgeline better, and it does not kill my interest in the truck."

Ditto. The Ridgeline looks like it's trying too hard. It's an odd design. OTOH, the Tribeca crosses the line into ugly. I took it off my list at first sight. Then went back to see if the vehicle had some positive virtues to make up for the styling... and crossed it off once more. I think both have some interesting details, but the overall execution is not good.

My interest in the Ridgeline is purely enthusiast-oriented. I won't be buying a truck anytime soon. But I share the same problem when it comes to dogs. Greyhounds don't do well on backseats.
    Thanks for the reply and picture of the seats flipped up. My dogs thank you also - looks like it would work great from them. I'm not 100% sold on the Ridgeline yet but it is still in my top five for when I replace my Mazda truck. Can't wait to hear more about it and actually see it.
    If you drive around with a load of gravel all the time, I think the Ridgeline is not for you, and you should be looking at a more traditional truck.

LoL. It has nothing to do with the frequency of such trips as much as with Murphy's Law..... ;D

I check my oil and other fluids at every fill up. You never know when a problem might arise, and it isn't always apparent unless you look.
  • valance2valance2 Member Posts: 14
    I just got a frontier CC, so obviously my view is biased, but I just don't like this vehicle at all. The bed-trunk seems gimicky. How much stuff can you get in there anyway? Also, is there a tow-rating out for this vehicle? I like that the new taco & frontier have higher tow ratings (this is what eliminated the colorado from consideration).

I opted for a 4-door truck because I have kids (need for back-seat), a boat (need to tow), don't want an SUV (lots of extra cost vs even the nicer 4-door trucks), and don't want a full-size truck due to parking issues and general huge size. I also ride my bike a lot, and don't like putting a messy bike on a carpeted cargo surface in an SUV.

Perhaps they are not targeting me, but it almost seems like this and the sport-trac are in completely different categories than the nissan/tacoma/colorado 4 dr trucks. Almost more like an SUV without the U.
    Perhaps they are not targeting me, but it almost seems like this and the sport-trac are in completely different categories than the nissan/tacoma/colorado 4 dr trucks. Almost more like an SUV without the U.

IMHO, Honda is targeting 50,000 or so faithful Honda owners who might leave the fold should they need/want a pickup truck. It's their basic formula for the Odyssey, Pilot and the entire Acura line.

The bed-trunk to me is a great idea. It'll hold 3 sets of golf clubs. I see it as a dry place to put luggage when the cabin is fully loaded.