Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'm on my 4th heavy-duty truck and 2nd half-ton since 2001 and have yet to see one that didn't have all the wiring for a brake controller.

I went to a number of manufacturer websites and the wiring for a brake controller was included only with the tow package. It wasn't standard.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    That's true, however the "wiring" consists of a harness that plugs in under the dash. All the hardwiring between front/hitch is already there, just plug the harness in the back and plug the harness up under the dash. There's actually only one wire necessary to run direct from the brake controller to the trailer, and I would be quite surprised if Honda didn't already have that wire in place. Well maybe not, I've noticed quite a few oddities with my Odyssey (is that a pun?).

Edit: Based on the description here http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline.html the Ridgeline is the same. The tow package includes the pigtail to plug-in for the brake controller.
    The tow package includes the pigtail to plug-in for the brake controller.

And that IMHO, is all that should be come from the factory. There's no need for the brake controller itself to come with the vehicle.
    I agree. Look around at all the pickups/SUV's that don't even have a hitch and it's clear most folks aren't towing, and even less are towing enough to require trailer brakes. A quality brake controller will run you several hundred dollars, which is big $$ on a light-duty truck. I'm all for it on the heavy-duty vehicles. I'm not happy with the mounting of any of my controllers, I'd much rather it be integrated.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If you're towing over 1K, more than likely your owner's manual will say you need trailer brakes.

Bob
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    That's one of the things about the Ford electronic brake controller that is so nice- the fact that it's integrated and actually looks like it belongs. Other trucks should at least be set up so that there is a good location where a controller could be mounted and have it not look tacked-on.

Wow. I just criticized all trucks but the Super Duty, and not just the Ridgeline! ;)
    I couldn't agree more. Why electronic brake controllers are not part of a factory tow package is crazy. My hat is off to Ford for doing this. I just hope other truck and SUV makers pick up on their great idea, and offer that feature too.

If I'm to be critical of Ford at all here, is that they "only" offer this feature on their Super Duty models, and not across their entire truck/SUV range.

Bob
    My current 1/2 ton says anything over 2,000# requires trailer brakes. That's a CYA number if you ask me, though.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    The numbers that the manufacturers rate for towing are that way. It leaves some leeway for safety (a LOT of it, in my experience). I towed a fully-gassed and wife stuffed 2004 Malibu sedan weighing in at a minimum of 4000 lbs. behind the Trailblazer LT 4WD i6 that was rated at a maximum tow of ~5800lbs. The car was on one of the U-Haul 2 wheel tow dollies. This was without a brake controller (those U-Haul dollies don't even have brakes of any sort either). I had no problems at all with this setup, so I'm sure that 2000lbs. behind my Chevy Silverado 1500 has to be CYA. :P
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I use to tow an 18 foot runabout boat with my '95 Explorer. No trailer brakes. No problems. But if I had done it every other weekend through the mountains from, say, SoCal to the Colorado river, brakes probably would have been wise.

Anyway, I still think the tow package (hitch and wiring) is overpriced on the RL. I could see a couple hundred bucks, but over $500 is too much.
    You must have a GM full-size truck, right? They are one of the rare exceptions.

Bob
    My 1/2 ton is an '03 Silverado. I also have two Dodge heavy-dutys. I'm curious what the manuals say for their brake requirements. I had the wiring malfunction once with my 15,000# trailer in tow and the one-ton stopped it quite well actually. The hitch company that installed my goose-neck did a real knock-up job on the wiring :mad:
    Current Ram trucks have a 1000 pound unbraked tow limit, at least last year they did, as I checked the owner's manual.

Bob
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Lots of vehicles will tow a heavy load without trailer brakes under normal circumstances. It's when the circumstances get weird that the brakes are required. A ball rolls across the road... you hit a patch of ice and the truck gets a little sideways... Those are the times when the brakes are necessary.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    Ridgline owners,

I have an F150, but want more comfort for the backseat occupants. Looking at Edmunds numbers for Ridgeline Cargo space at 9 cu. feet!? makes me think the bed is very tiny?

Am I better off with the Pilot for cargo space?
    I occasionally haul things like a pressure washer and carpenter tools - just how much will the Ridgeline hold?
    I'm sure that's an inside cargo space number. The bed is small, but it'll hold a lot more than that. I'm going for a Tundra Double-cab myself, but I need to fit a 4wheeler in the back and don't want the tailgate down.
    I think you need to check it out for yourself, as I think only you can answer those questions.

Bob
    Not sure how Edmunds got that number. 8.5 cu.ft. is the volume of the trunk under the bed. Maybe that's what they're listing.

The bed in the Ridgeline is only 5' long. Typical for a crew cab pickup, but that's not saying much. The bed is wider than any other mid-size at 49".

Toyota offers a 6.5' optional bed for the double cab Tacoma, but I didn't find the rear seat in the Taco to be all that comfortable.

I think your best bet is to follow Bob's advice and go check one out in person.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I'll take you're advice and check out the Ridgeline in person.

while hauling kids in the back of the F150 they sit really low where they can't see out the front - and get car sick easy. Anyone have experience driving kids in the back of the Ridgeline on long road trips?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I have only directly compared a Ridgeline to a late-model Dodge Ram (94-01?)...HUGE difference in back seat room and positioning. The Ridgeline sits like the Pilot inside, IMO.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    the 9 cu. ft. is definitely not the bed, as others have stated. Obviously, if the bed is 5' long by 4' wide, that's 20 feet right there. multiply by the height for the cubic feet. So even 1 foot high (and we know its more than that) would give you 20 cu. ft.

aspesisteve - You might also consider a Pilot. Its up to you and what you want to do. Do you need an enclosed cargo area? Will you ever need a 3rd row of seats? I easily hauled a pressure washer, push mower, and radial arm saw all in my Pilot at once (with one side of the 2nd row still in the up position), and could have easily stuck more tools in there.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8f1ad

I guess sometimes a vehicle maker can be too clever. ;)

Bob
    That article is kind of funny. I would love that much storage!
    Give Karl some credit for making himself appear a bit "buffoonish" to entertain the readers. :D
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Check out the Dodge Rampage concept from Chicago. Talk about a Ridgeline rip off!
    Or Ford boasting about the IRS underpinning the next SportTrac.

Although they do have compartments in the walls of the bed. At least one of them is big enough to fit a six pack. (ooooh... ahhhh... ohhhhh) :P
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    c'mon guys, I am sure the first guy to shoot a jump shot in the NBA was ridiculed too. And the second guy was especially lame because it wasn't his idea.

I am happy that Ford is getting it right with IRS. I just wish GM would follow suit.

John
  • leadfingersleadfingers Member Posts: 3
    (If this is misplaced, just say so...)

I've been trying to figure out what kind of drive train the Ridgeline has, but haven't had any luck.

It *sounds* like it uses the Honda full-time AWD system, and that there isn't a conventional 4Hi-4Lo-2Hi selector. Is that correct?

A sales guy said you could kind of force it into 4Lo by turning off something like ABS, but I never trust the guys in the ties...

Can someone toss me a clue? :)
    It *sounds* like it uses the Honda full-time AWD system, and that there isn't a conventional 4Hi-4Lo-2Hi selector. Is that correct?

If I understand it correctly, it is FWD until slippage is detected and then power is routed to the rear wheels. There isn't a conventional 4hi-4lo-2hi selector.

A sales guy said you could kind of force it into 4Lo by turning off something like ABS, but I never trust the guys in the ties...

There is a VTM-Lock option that locks the rear wheels to provide addtional traction on loose surfaces. It stays activated up to 18 MPH.
    It's a (mostly) on-demand AWD, with no low range. It cruises in FWD mode, but engages the rear wheels upon acceleration.

The sales guy doesn't have a clue.

Bob
    Yeah, the salesperson was clueless.

Put the truck's transmission in either low1 or low2 (locking it in first of second gear). Then depress the VMT-4 lock button. The rear differential will lock the two half-shafts together in the back end. That way a single slipping tire will not get all the power. This also locks the AWD system into a 50/50 powersplit.

It's like have a traditional 4X4 system with a locker in the rear diff, but without the 2-speed transfer case.

You should also deactivate the VSA (vehicle stability assist) as that will cut power from the engine when wheels start slipping. This is probably what the sales guy meant when he mentioned ABS.
  • whaleyawhaleya Member Posts: 28
    For rain,ice,snow, gravel roads the RL is great and much better than other truck 4wd systems

For hard core off roading the RL's system is a poor design and the other trucks (Toyota, Ford, ect) are much better.

In the end it depends on what driving you so (not what driving you wish you were doing)

-W
  • thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    I'm a "guy in a tie" but I also own one, would you believe me?
  • 4wdave14wdave1 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone else have to constantly adjust the "automatic" temperature control in their Ridge? I have to keep adjusting it, apparently as the engine load changes? :confuse:
  • 4wdave14wdave1 Member Posts: 8
    It holds a LOT! In the bed, in the trunk, and with the back seats folded up, or even under the back seats when down.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Neither of my Honda's auto temp control work as well as Ford or GM autos.

I find my Hondas are cold in the winter. Have to keep turning the heat up. On sunny days it is worse.
  • roaddog2roaddog2 Member Posts: 13
    No problem with interior temperature control when on full auto and the 'Mode' selecter on 'windshield and floor' -- and that's on the highway at -28 deg. C.. You can actually operate the fan speed manually and the system will still modulate air supply temperature to attain the set-point temperature. If you open the side vent to clear the drivers door window you loose some control because the air just flows without modulating. We generally set it to 19 C and leave it.

No problem with summer cooling either.

Canada
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    If you override the 'mode' and fan speeds, I don't consider it operating in 'auto' mode.

I still say one of the few things Honda doesn't do 'better' is their auto temp control system.

I've never seen my Honda auto fan speed come on at what I consider a 'high speed' in an attempt to rapidly heat or cool the car. My Fords and GMs would do this, and then start slowing the speed as the temp inside closed in on the set temp.
    We never experienced this kind of trouble in our last Honda w/ Auto Climate Control. In the summer, we were all comfy with the a/c on 68, and in Winter, usually it was set at 72. Not much difference.

Also, the issue on sunny days: There is a sunlight sensor on the dash which tells the A.C.Ctrl that sun is shining on the car. It will increase Airflow in summer, and likely decrease heat-flow in winter. This is exasserbating your "cold car" issue.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Airbag deployment w/o crash

Another problem with the Ridgeline?
    is CR's top pick for pickups, so add one more award to the list. :)

Bob
    Just put it in the trunk.
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Yep, not bad for a first year truck. I have driven the RL now for about 10k and nothing negative has happened. It drives flawlessly. A couple of quarks though, one is during gas fill up, the pump will stop prematurely then I have to slowly put in the remainder of the gas into the tank slowly. Sometimes up to 3 gallons.

Other than that its been great. It drives well in the snow here in Tahoe. Very sure footed with the Michelin LTX tires. Like the back-up camera, sexy female voice activated NAVI and controls, plus the XM Sat. radio. Nice job Honda.
  • sanitationofcrsanitationofcr Member Posts: 9
    just put it in the trash with the others... CR is a joke when it comes to vehicle testing...

I don't know how they can predict (the vehicle) will have average or better reliability, based on our latest Annual Car Reliability Survey when the vehicle hasn't even been around long enough to be tested.

It's just the same with the new Civic... which doesn't seem to be average or better in reliability when all of the owner are complaining about an awful lugging in their engine.

Just stick with REAL reports from actual car and truck journalists. :lemon:
    "I don't know how they can predict (the vehicle) will have average or better reliability..."

I'm sure there are lots of things you don't know. But if you read their publication, you might find out.
    I don't know how they can predict (the vehicle) will have average or better reliability, based on our latest Annual Car Reliability Survey when the vehicle hasn't even been around long enough to be tested.

It's just the same with the new Civic... which doesn't seem to be average or better in reliability when all of the owner are complaining about an awful lugging in their engine.

Come out of your glass house for a minute please...

I'm not sure how you think you could be more objective...

CR is more objective and scientific in their testing than any Car and Driver or Motor Trend writer could ever hope to be.

To answer your question of how they could predict reliability...

Could it be that it shares most of its basic mechanicals (transmission, 3.5L engine, part of it chassis) with the Pilot and Odyssey, both of which have been around a while.

As far as the Civic is concerned, I think you need to think before you speak. "All owner(s) are complaining of lugging..."

Really? I haven't seen 55,000 people complaining about that. Maybe a dozen on the Edmunds forum. You must realize that there are people that will never bother to give a report that "nothing is going as unexpected" but much more of those that will look for help if a problem is experienced.

Also, I'm not quite sure that the lug problem is a reliability issue, is it? Could you show me a post where the lugging has led to unreliable service or left someone stranded?

Don't bother hurrying up with a response. I'm headed to the Gulf for the weekend, and won't be back until Sunday night. Everyone else have a good one!

thegrad
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    "Consumer Reports identified its top picks based on road and track tests, evaluations of comfort, convenience and fuel economy, crash-protection ratings from the government and insurance industry and readers' reliability rankings. "
    By Dee-Ann Durbin
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    03/01/2006

The owners did reliability rankings?!

Only one of all those rankings is truely a quantiative value. Fuel Economy. And thats only if you blindly look at the EPA number only.
    Crash-protection ratings (to a point) and some track tests (braking distance?) are fuzy.
    The rest are very subjective to the person doing the review or the owner.

I've bought items ranked highly by consumer reports only to have them fail misserably. Other things like my 91 GMC Jimmy performed way better than CR ever dreamed it could.

CR needs a big * - Results may vary.
  • sanitationofcrsanitationofcr Member Posts: 9
    It sounds like you read the same article I did, and have been drawing the same conclusions.. you cannot quantify many of their ratings.

Results may vary....

Better to stick with the car magazines with much more car expertise(multilple if you wish) and get more perspective than one all inclusive report and then follow blindly.
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Unfortunetly, the car magazines writers and thier opinions are being swayed, just like this website, by advertising dollars and other gifts and perks. Though the car magazines offer some intriguing info it doesn't include short term and long term reliability like CR.

I take the car mags with a "grain a salt". CR is probably the most important mag when consider in buying a car. Their data is good and analytical not biased as others I've seen.
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Just stick with REAL reports from actual car and truck journalists.
    ---------------------------

Heck no, I wouldn't trust anyone 100% when it comes to influencing my car choice.I gladly bought a sizzling hot mazda RX8 over the CR recommended boring Accord.

ABSOLUTELY NO REAL REPORTS FROM ACTUAL CAR AND TRUCK JOURNALISTS IS WORTH LISTENING TOO WITHOUT A GRAIN OF SALT.WAIT MAKE THAT A BIG SACK OF SALT. :sick:

However I would trust CR maybe around 80% when it comes to rating cars for the following reasons:

1. It does not accept advertising money from any car maker.NOW SHOW ME A CAR MAGAZINE WHICH DOES NOT ACCEPT ADVERTISING MONEY AND MAYBE I WOULD TAKE THEIR ADVICE JUST LIKE CR'S.

2.CR evaluates cars based on the real world needs of most average Joes.

3. CR's test results are almost identical to that of Car and Driver and Motortrend.

Lets not forget it's not just CR which highly regards the Honda Ridgeline, for starters check this out and put your doubts to rest.

1-Motor Trend truck of the year 2006

2-Detroit News truck of the year 2006

3-Consumer Reports top rated truck

4-JD Power & Associates 2005 APEAL award for the Honda Ridgeline

5-Autobytel 2006 Editors' Choice Award: Truck of the year 2006

6-Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) Best New Pickup 2006

7-On Wheels Incorporated: Ridgeline 2006 Urban Wheel Award for the Urban Truck of the Year

8-best rollover resistance rating of any pickup tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    9-first-ever 4-door pickup to earn a 5-star safety rating for both front and side impact crash test performance from the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).

10-Car And Driver Rates Honda Ridgeline #1 Pickup.

11- AutoWeek Editors' Choice Award as the 'Most Significant' new vehicle in the show

Seems to me CR is on the same page with all the award giving bodies when it comes to evaluation results of the Ridgeline.Even the Highly regarded MOTORTREND is also in agreement with CR on which car should be the MT car of the year, the Civic.

THEREFORE EVEN IF I DON'T TAKE CR'S REPORTS AS GOSPEL, TO ME IT STILL GIVES OUT THE LEAST UNBIASED EVALUATION WHEN IT COMES TO CARS.ALL THE OTHERS AS LONG AS THEY ACCEPT ADVERTISEMENT DOLLARS ARE A FAR FAR SECOND AND THIRDS. :shades: