Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• labradorlabrador Member Posts: 11
    Appreciate the comment. Nissan has not yet given me authorization to rent but I have taken it upon myself to rent a vehicle. My vehicle is now parked at the dealer.
    I do not know what the end result will be.
    Contacted Nissan today for the third time, have yet to be provided with any details and I have yet to receive a response from anybody despite my persistence.
    I fell like I am being ignored.
    Other than that I love the vehicle.
  • accumacaccumac Member Posts: 16
    You should get authorization from Nissan, or your dealer should be happy to give you a loaner or pay for a rental. I am almost on a first name basis with the local Enterprise rental agency that always supplies me with a Ford or a Dodge truck at my dealers expense. Probably about 6 or 7 different times in 34,000 miles. Face it we are a ginuea pigs for Nissan so they should at least feed us.
    New question for fellow Titan owners: On cold start up in the morning or anytime after the truck has sat for a good length of time, if I rest my foot on the brake pedal when I start the engine the brake pedal will sink all the way to the floor. No problem with the braking and the brake pedal is normal after I pump it once or twice, dealer says no problem found. I find it unsettling and think it must be a master cylinder, power brake booster problem that I want taken care of before I drive out of warranty. Any one else experienced this phenom?
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Have the service manager contact the district rep to authorize a rental. They did for me, cost Nissan $2059 for 29 days rental on a Ford Escape.

I got my truck back last night, dealer got the updated diffs on Monday, so they have been released.
  • titan4x4setitan4x4se Member Posts: 3
    ok went to the dealer to have a look at my wheels,and turns out that nissan sends out the wheels to another company to have them chromed and they do have a warranty. so my dealer installed a brand new set of wheels, yesss!!! also they checked the AC noise from under the dash it turns out is a "TSB" waiting on parts to have it fixed, I got a great response from my dealer service department
  • warpedagainwarpedagain Member Posts: 11
    I got my 2004, 4x4 Titan LE Crew Cab last September as it just rolled off the truck. It had everything I could want, and more. I new the minute I saw it, I would be driving it home. Once I test drove it, I was hooked. I have 27,000 miles on it now, mostly from highway driving. It runs great...enough horses to get out of trouble quickly when congestion is tight. No rattles, radio sounds great. Not quite as good as my Alpine with 100W Infinity speakers, but close. The only problem has been the front end brakes. At about 12,000 miles often mentioned wobble occurred. A local dealer (Not where I purchased it) replaced both rotors, calipers, and brake pads, with no problem. The service (In Tampa, FL) was great, but no one mentioned any chronic problems from Nissan. It ran great until last week (another 14,000 later) and it happened again. This time they turned the rotors and replaced the pads which they said were glazed over, again with no problem, and the service was fantastic. But, now I'm wondering and waiting to see if it happens again?? And I'm worried that my warrantee will soon run out, with as many miles as I travel. Florida has a good lemon law, and I have one more strike left before Nissan gets their last chance. I'll stick with the Titan, though. Love the power and the way it handles. Love the interior and style. I just hope they can get this rotor bug solved.
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Supposedly larger rotors coming out in next 1-2 months that
    they are hoping to be the fix for the brake judder. Your service department has their hands tied at present until the new rotors are shipped. Turning the rotors is only a temporary fix and the brake judder will probably rear its ugly head again in the next
    3-4k miles. 01' Chevy Impalas were also notorious for this problem as well as leaking manifold gaskets and I don't know if GM ever did fix it since we dumped our Impala in '04 for a Honda Ody.
    I have a '04 SE KC 4x4, over 4k and no judder yet (fingers crossed) and only back for one TSB so far. This truck rocks.
  • hvanhvan Member Posts: 56
    What's a judder?
  • dbrocknerdbrockner Member Posts: 8
    i've had my titan in 5 times for brakes. they dont have a leg to stand on. they know it is a design flaw. no heat dissipation warps the rotors.
    my radio changes volume also, even the cd. so i know its not reception.
    yes, the finish flakes right off around the remote stereo and cruise control on steering wheel
    i fought them on the rear brakes and won. 19000 miles after 4 visits for fronts rears were doin the work they replaced them free after i spewed venom all over them. i told them i would get a giant lemon decal and place it on my tailgate and have the words "ask me about my new TITAN" written under it!!!!
    After battling with Nissan Canada they finally advised that the deferential is being shipped. Should have my vehicle back on the road in ten days. ??????
    I am having a heck of a problem with getting a rental. Thus far Nissan has committed $35.00 canadian to the cost for a maximum of two weeks. The minimium cost for a rental for a small car is $55.00 plus tax per day, in Labrador.They said that they have no legal obligation to providing any rental. Anything they do for me is being done in good faith not out of obligation. I beg to differ.
    I live in a remote area where the roads are covered with ice and snoe for 5 months of the year. Most of my driving is in the country away from any town with a trailer and two snowmobiles. Not a good situation for a car.
    I have rented a 4 x 4 pickup and have turned the file over to my lawyer.
    I love the vehicle despite the problem but I cannot tolerate the arrogancy of the company.
    I bought my vehicle from a sub dealer and they are great.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    quote: "01' Chevy Impalas were also notorious for this problem as well as leaking manifold gaskets"

Our 2000 Impala had brake rotor problems. Also had the sub frame noise problems, never cured that. No water leaks

I will be looking at the New Titans this fall. Time to replace my pickup.

I've readin the comments on the Titan here for months.
  • tester16tester16 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a titan truck soon. Should I buy a 2004 or 2005? Have the brakes been fixed with 2005?
    My question is. Do any of the switches have back lighting ? My mirror switch does not have back lighting nor does any of the controls on the steering wheel.

It is like driving with a blindfold on. You have to feel your away around and hope that the button that you touch dosen't eject you.
    Unfortunatly those don't have lights. I've learned which is which and have no trouble with it at night......not that I ever get to drive my Titan. Its in the shop again, rearend went out this time, sheesh. Still love my truck though.
    You indicate that it is in the shop again which indicates some previous problems. How are you doing for a replacement vehicle while your vehicle is in the shop.

Mine is presently in the shop awaiting a deferential.
    When it was in for the front differential Nissan paid for a rental for the 29 days the truck was down. They offered a rental this time but I declined, we have 3 vehicles so its a none issue, the Titan is more our toy/pull the travel trailer/family vehicle. They also said it shouldn't be more than a week until I get the truck back.
  • yogibm1yogibm1 Member Posts: 6
    Hey, I had that same thing happen to me, not to worry though!
    Lets hope!! This truck is too awesome to be burdened by a problem that would seem to be an easy fix. I mean it's "2005"! How many years have we had disc brakes and how complicated can it be to manufacture such a standard component? Maybe they're buying cheep, substandard steel or something? At any rate lets hope Nissan can put this nuscience behind us. Has anyone installed a satellite receiver? If I can erase the brake problem, I'll probably have one installed, but would like to switch between the two plans because one carries the NFL and the other carries ML Baseball. Go figure! Could I have the receiver wired to accept both plans where I can switch services month to month? I would think it could be done by installing components from each, and maybe two separate antennas. Is this possible??
  • yogibm1yogibm1 Member Posts: 6
    I'll tell ya what I was going to get a used one, but after reading all of these forums I think that I should get a new one. I am dissapointed to hear that you are still having the same problems and I has been out for a year and a half. I went to the dealer today and Man I was impressed with the 05 over the 04(I am getting a Titan Posse Cab LE 4x4 WITHOUT the big tow package). Those mirrors are so ugly. I didn't see it in the Brochure but do they still make the Sedona Color(burnt orange). If they don't do they still offer the two tone colored interior Sand/Grey in the Leather. Someone that has bought one recently, let me know cause that is what I really want. Thanks for your help
    No Sedona color for 2005 and no Sand/Steel interior for 2005.
    Nissan just issued a claims bulletin on 3/16/5 stating they have
    developed new brake parts including pads, rotors & floating shims to handle the brake judder & will cover '04 & '05 Titans and Armadas. The warranty will be for 36 months/unlimited mileage from the original in service date. Mailing notices to go out to customers during May and parts to be available shortly thereafter.
    So, there ya go.
    That's too bad.I have a Black 04 LE 4x4 Crew cab with the sand/steel leather interior, and it's the best looking combination I've seen in a long time. Have to work a little extra to keep it clean..(washing once a week) but it's worth it.
    Thanks for the info, Hogboy........My service rep keeps calling me and leaving messages about their service....which has been great so far, and bugging me to fill out the survey. I will and pay him a visit this week and ask about the bulletin. That makes me feel a lot better. Nissan is hoping to win over the loyal owners of the U.S. trucks, so I would expect them to take care of these problems ASAP. It seems to be working............they won me over!
    I have been plagued with the deferential problem. Finally got it fixed two days ago. Still fighting the cost of a rental vehicle.

I have been noticing since I purchased the truck (04 Titan Crew with off road package) that the visibility in the mirrors, especially on the right side is dangerously poor. Very narrow range limiting visibility when changing lanes, pulling a trailer and especially when reversing with a trailer.

Anybody else experiencing the same problems ?
    Do you have the regular mirrors or the big tow mirrors? I have the BT mirrors and have virtually no blind spots, works great with our travel trailer. If you didn't get the big tow pkg you can alway add the mirrors later, they are really good.
    I am not sure what I have but there is a convex mirror below the regular mirror. They are extendable and heated. Didn't know there was another type.

Can't say for sure if it is the regular or tow mirror as I have only seen one other titan.
    Those are the tow mirrors. I can't believe you have problems with them, I love mine. Can back a trailer no problem, can see around our 24' TT as long as the mirrors are extended.
  • chipvjchipvj Member Posts: 2
    Here is the deal. Go to the Nissan dealer and start talking buyback, lawsuit and the like. They will install new rotors on the front and pads all the way around. Disc brakes have been a problem for most manufacturers on and off for years. This truck is awsome. I have an 05 and have put over 6,000 miles on in 7 weeks. I drive like a madman and so far it is perfect, except for the brake problem. Which by the way is non existant at lower speeds, and really only shows up under certain conditions. [non-permissible content removed] luck all.
  • fracturedfractured Member Posts: 4
    When I took it in to have these two problems looked at, they simply said they couldn't reproduce the problems. I'm curious. . . what did you tell them to replace your stereo and adjust the hinge/striker place. What I should ask is, "What did you tell them to convince them to replace them?"
  • fracturedfractured Member Posts: 4
    What do you recommend to wash the interior and exterior. Anything special?
  • benitslubenitslu Member Posts: 5
    what is the exact problems that you guys are having? i have an 04 SE crew cab with about 10k miles and have not experienced any brake problems whatsoever. the only thing that i notice is that when i first take off after the truck has been off for at least about 4-5 hours, i hear a slight bang noise as the truck shifts into second gear....anyone else has this problem.
    other than that i love this truck and would have no other!
  • 04secrew4x404secrew4x4 Member Posts: 1
    I also hear a slight bang when accelerating after vehicle has sat. Sounds sort of like a spring popping. I have an 04 SE CC 4x4 w/o the big tow pkg. Love the truck and have not experienced anything except the clock died in the radio from day one.
    The slight bang or spring popping noise you are hearing has been discussed on other titan talk boards as well. The noise is normal.
    The computer runs multiple diagnostic tests on start up, one being the check on the ABS system. So, once you start your truck and start to drive away at approx 5-10 MPH you will hear that sound. Nothing to worry about. The truck is just doing what it's suppose to do. A love hate relationship with all computers.
    I was at the dealer a coule days ago and the service rep told me the brake problem is only affecting a small percentage of Titan Drivers. He kind of blamed driving habits. I drive a lot of highway miles....1,000 miles every other weekend doing mostly 80, but on cruise control, and not much braking other than the steering wheel controls. I don't hit them hard too much in the city or the highway, and I have 29,000 on my 04 LE Crew 4x4 in 5 months. After a bit of prodding, he finally said they were outfitting the brakes with new,thicker rotors than the originals, so as it continues to happen, all they need to do is keep turning them. Mine were already replaced once along with new calipers and pads, and then those were turned once (during my second visit in 4-5 months)They're running fine still.........two weeks since, and he told me if it happens again just bring it on in and they'll take care of it. It seems like they're going to eventually get to know me over there. Still Love the truck though. .........Anybody lift the front end yet? The pitch is about 2 inches lower, most likely to compensate for the weight while towing, but I want to level it off. It will look so much better.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Yep did the 2" vs the 2.5" with the PRG kit. Truck looks better though IMO the ride didn't change any.
    Recently had the front deferential and axles replaced 6800Km. This came only after a threat of legal action. I have now noticed that there is a lot of brake dust on the front wheels. Further checking determined that both front rotors are worn substantially. Still holding fine. Will have it checked on the next service.
    I have gone legal to get the cost of my rental vehicle reinbursed. I have a $985.00 bill for a ten day rental that nobody will pay. Not that impressive after purchasing a new vehicle. Don't mind having trouble but I hate the BS that Nissan is going on with. If there are problems, and there are they need to own up to the issues and respond without making the customer feel as if it is something that they did. I love the truck but I will not keep my mouth shut indefinitely. I can certainly provide some free advertising for Nissan that will cost them far more that the cost of the rental. It dosen't need to be this way.
    I have now noticed that there is a lot of brake dust on the front wheels.

Are you saying that you didn't have brake dust prior to having the front differential and axels replaced?
    I am not saying that one is related to the other just that I did not notice the brake dust prior to having the Deferential replaced.

Have to wait to see if there is a connection.
  • loudriverloudriver Member Posts: 3
    I'm about ready to buy a 2005 Titan XE CC. However after reading all the posts on the faulty brakes, radio, etc., I am wondering if I should go with the Titan. Have most of the problems been resolved? Do I have anything to worry about?
  • jeffbondjeffbond Member Posts: 16
    This is my same thoughts. As for brakes, I have a 99 GMC 1500 SLE with 95000 miles with the original brakes, but on the other hand...it doesn't stop very well, and by reading all the reports the TITAN, It stops some 36 feet sooner? Now does brakes lasting an eternity versus 25K and being able to stop when you want to constitute a big problem???? I have a BMW that eats up brake shoes every 25K, but it stops on the dime. So???
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    I have had my 2005 le Titan since the end of December 2004. There has been no problems with it. I have over 8000 miles with only an oil change. I am about to go get my second oil change. The 2005 Titan is an excellent truck. There is nothing wrong with getting an extended warranty. That might make you feel better about buying the truck. My family is a ford family. My uncle and father are both waiting to see if and when my truck breaks down. They both believe I should have bought an F150 but it is having reliability problems. I suggest you would enjoy your truck. My Titan stops on a dime. I have had it tested for me by last minute stopping motorists. Those brakes were great every time. Make sure you wash under your truck and not let excessive dust build in your breaks. I live in somewhat of a red clay area. Every so often I go to a car wash that washes underneath the truck to clear the sand and dust off of the brakes. My uncle the ford man told me that could wear down your brakes because of sand being like glass. So I suggest washing under your truck to keep dirt from caking up around your brakes. I can not hardly stay out of my truck. I love doing the errands just for an excuse to get on the road. If I was you I would hold off a little while longer and get an se at a xe price. The gas prices would definitely be more favourable to the customer buying trucks.
  • foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    I would have had a lot of accidents with those kind of brakes. I suggest you get a Titan. I do agree about being able to stop on a dime to avoid accidents. My Titan has definitely keep me out of some accidents stopping short. My truck takes off fast and stops on a dime and you can't beat that with a stick.
  • jeffbondjeffbond Member Posts: 16
    I am glad there are some positive opinions out here, I know die hard ford people also, but there is something about myself and fords that just don't mix. I only hand wash all of my vehicles, which some may say isn't good either, but my current truck looks only a couple years old not 6-1/2. I will keep in mind your undercarriage wash.
  • benitslubenitslu Member Posts: 5
    I have an 04 Titan and have had absolutely no problems with it. I was a die hard Chevy man, but I will admit to anyone that the Titan kicks all trucks azz that are in their class. Every aspect..bottom line. I would also recommend getting the SE or LE as oppossed to the XE. There are so many more options with SE over the XE for not that much more $$.
    Definitely Buy!! This truck is so awesome, I'm willing to put up with my brake issue indefinitely. I'll change the rotors whenever I need to. Maybe I can find a high performance, heat dissipating rotor to replace it with?? My truck also hauls from a standstill and stops on a dime. When my rotors warp you can feel them pulsating right up through the steering wheel. It still stops okay, but if you don't get them fixed right away, it slowly gets worse over a couple weeks time. You might say I run it hard. I'm always about 10 over the speed limit where ever I drive, but it runs so smooth, it feels like I'm driving 10 under. I now have over 31,000 miles in 5 months, but I have no rattles, no radio problem, no gas gage problem, no other problem whatsoever. I love the two new features of the 05.....electric back seat rear window and some kind of hydrolic tailgate.....easy open and easy close feature. You can't beat the sprayed in bed liner and utilitrack system either!! It looks like the other makers are starting to copy it. Buy it. You'll like it...and everybody you know will like it too.
    Thanks! I bet it looks great. I can't wait to lift mine. Who did the work?? Dealer, other mechanic, or yourself?? I was wondering about the handle also...........it responds so great now, I'd hate to screw it up. I travel a lot and don't want to sacrifice anything with the way it rides now.It sounds like there's no difference.
    Thanks! I bet it looks great. I can't wait to lift mine. Who did the work?? Dealer, other mechanic, or yourself?? I was wondering about the handle also...........it responds so great now, I'd hate to screw it up. I travel a lot and don't want to sacrifice anything with the way it rides now. It sounds like there's no difference.
  • titaneesetitaneese Member Posts: 43
    Hey warpedagain, Sounds like a very nice truck. If you don't mind what was MSRP & what did you pay?

thanks, Keith
    I had a friend who owns a repair shop with an alignment machine do it. I read the installation instructions and thought since an alignment is recommended may as well have him install it. Took about two hours to do it all.

The handling didn't seem to change much as with the ride. The truck sits almost level since I installed the 2 vs. the 2.5. If you want a more level look to the truck I'd recommend it.