Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• warrantwarrant Member Posts: 6
    Yes, with my '04 Titan. There are times when I'll lift up the passenger side floormat and there's a palm-sized spot of condensation under there. I don't have any idea what's causing it or why it's only an occasional problem. I thought it might have something to do with the AC.
  • kkc4kkc4 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 that I purchased new in Jan '05. The dash rattles terribly when hitting bumps, but I've concluded it's the plastic cover on the instrument panel. Funny thing is, is that when I had my rotors machined for the 1st time, someone put a piece of rubber in between the panel cover and the dash. It still rattles, but not so badly.

My truck pings TERRIBLY at only 7500 miles when pressing on the accelerator, up or down hill. Dealer has now "checked it out" twice (supposedly checked the knock sensors, as well), and insists that it is cheap gas, and that I should buy only brand name gas, but that 87 octane should be okay.

The biggest problem right now is a very loud rattling under the front of the car. Exhaust pipes were replaced and a break in a weld was repaired, but it still rattles.
  • warrantwarrant Member Posts: 6
    My '04 pinged terribly going up hills from about 7000 to 13000 miles. Now (at 15000 +) it doesn't do that anymore. I don't know why.

I also have the loud rattling under the front driver's side. I'm thinking it's got to do with the left front wheel somehow. If you find out what it is, let me know, please.

Thanks.

Chuck
  • theponitheponi Member Posts: 3
    I bought my '05 Titan in May. I broke it in according to specs. I then towed a 3000 lb trailer from Latrobe, PA to Phoenix, AZ over the course of 4 days. Once again I broke the axels, tranny and brakes in according to Nissan (tow less than 55 mph for the frist 500 miles). I have had no problems with my brakes...yet. I now have 6000 miles on the car and drive through freeway traffic everyday. I don't know if my brakes were updated before I bought the truck, but for a 5500 lb vehicle it stops dang fast.
  • maggiejaynemaggiejayne Member Posts: 1
    Like many of you, I have been to the local dealer several times for brake issues. In mid-July, they supposedly fixed them for good with the new kit. They also replaced my cracked windshiled that had a stress crack in it.

This morning, I pulled out of a parking lot onto the street at a redlight, probably wasn't going faster than 20 MPH. The brake light came on, the brakes made an awful, loud noise that I find difficult to describe and they went soft on me like I had no brakes...very wierd, and I have trouble describing it very accurately.

I had Nissan tow it to their dealership as I had no intention of driving it. They have not been able to re-produce the problem. They even asked if the roads were wet as if that might have soemthign to do with it. I think they wanted me to just come and get it and be done with it. They are great, but I'm not screwing around and driving on brakes that are iffy, just because they can't make it happen again...

The brake light never went off, and everytime I pressed the brakes this happened--so the brakes would work, but with much difficulty. No less than 5 times did this happen on my .5 mile trip to my office.

Anyone have any other comments on brakes other than the "judder" issue...I've seen a couple of similiar things mentioned here...

Thanks...
  • billy8billy8 Member Posts: 11
    Check out my post on warped rotors at the Quest forum. 2004 Quest problems and solutions, Post # 1427
  • capmandocapmando Member Posts: 2
    I have been having problems with water forming on the passenger side floor. If you look under your truck on the passenger side you will see a hole that has been plugged. All you need to do is push up on the plug and it will break. This hole allows heat and water to form in the cab. Design problem that needs to be corrected. I have had my truck in the shop 5 times and now when I turn right I hear a grinding noise. Can we say Lemon Law!!!! I switched from an american product to this hoping to improve my luck and look what happens.
  • titantroubletitantrouble Member Posts: 3
    i have had brake problems from the 1st day. at first they kept telling me i didnt know how to drive with big tires. then i had the rotors turned twice, and the i contacted nissan and the dealer put on "a new kit," so far the brakes work , but are spongy and went right to the floor when i had to stop quickly. of course they say that the pedal going to the floor is normal and the brakes are still working when it does that. tell my front bumper with the scrape marks on it from that guys rear bumper/
    tony
    i would like to does any one know how to do it
    maybe we could get a group to do it
    tony
    has any one had problems with the front end??? my 2004 titan kc le has had a problem with wondering all over the road. you have to constnatly fight the steering wheel. when you hit a good bump it feels like the tires are coming up throught the truck. of course i have had the brake problems to. they say its fixed ha ha my dealer told me if i wasnt happy to go contact nissan consumer affairs. last truck i buy from Greenville Nissan. texas
  • titantimtitantim Member Posts: 1
    Well just had my control module ,master computer, die on me in the mountain in the middle of my vacation. I have 15000 miles on the truck. They are replacing it.
  • kamran1kamran1 Member Posts: 3
    after driving some 20 miles on low tank (yellow light was ON) with my 05 CC (2300 total miles now), I pulled into a gas station and filled up the tank. 23 gallons went in (expected to be able to tank more). When I started the engine, I noticed that the gauge was still on the very low level and the yellow light was still ON. 10 minutes after driving the gauge went slowly up and showed 1/4 of tank full of gas (yellow light was off now). Next day started the engine and it went slowly up to half a tank after some 5 minutes of driving. I suspected some air being trapped in the gas tank, so I accelerated a few times and took a few fast corners with the car. The fuel gauge went up fast and showed full tank. It might have been some air being trapped in the empty tank while pumping gas into the tank with a fast pace but I am not sure. I saw more people having (different) trouble with their Titan fuel gauge on this forum. Any feedback?
  • cptnmattcptnmatt Member Posts: 5
    I have let my tank on the 04 get low several times to where the low light comes on. After filling, it went off and the guage functioned properly.

Matt
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Just had this problem with my 04 LE CC, took it right to the dealer and they told me that they have seen this problem a few times and its very intermittent.

What happens is if you top the tank off it holds the float down so the gauge doesn't read. Don't top the tank and the gauge works perfectly. When it clicks off its done, any more and the gauge doesn't read correctly. Its more of a quirk than a problem.
  • flyboy4flyboy4 Member Posts: 1
    Got a new 05 Titan Crewcab SE 2WD due for an oil change soon. I have been running E85 in it and the book says to use oil that is FFV (flex-fuel vehicle) or AFV (alternative fuel vehicle) compatible. None of the typical oil brands say this on their bottles, and my dealer says it does not matter as long as it is 5W30 oil. The book says using a non-compatible oil can cause engine and warranty problems. Any suggestions.
  • bvarbvar Member Posts: 1
    My '04 Titan KC has an interesting fuel guage as well. I have noticed that every once in a while the needle will move up until it will read FULL when I have no more than a 1/2 tank of gas. The needle will stay that way for a while and then go back down to the correct reading.
    It keeps me entertained as I get shook around by the brake judder when stopping.
  • sheriff5sheriff5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 TITAN SE Crew Cab, Off Rd Package, Tow Package. The truck has 12,200 miles on it. I have noticed the power steering to be going out on it. Took it into the dealer. The mechanic stated the fluid was almost gone but he could not find a leak. He filled it back up and 2 weeks later I was back. I got the same answer. They but a dye in it this time to see where it is leaking. The night I bought the truck had the same problem with my radiator. It was leaking antifreeze. I contacted a legal advisor about the "lemon law." Also the brakes are another issue. I think I have a case. Any one else have problems with the power steering fluid leaking?
  • mbattimbatti Member Posts: 3
    hey whats up my name is mark im bout 21 yrs old and i lease a 2004 nissan titan and I have had my truck in to the dealer 8 times for the breaks and rotors plus i have the new kit on and still having problems. this truck sucks.Do u still have urs and still having problems? I need a favor tell me a lil bit more about urself and if u could help me there will be something in return for u.I filed lemon law but they wont settle they say it is my fualt which is crap. What the deal is im gettin a lawyer and im putting in a lawsuit against nissan now im sueing for the truck and money now if u were to help stand up with me or talk to my lawyer and if i win I will give u a cut of what we make. ill give u my cell # U have any questions or what ever just give me a call at (574)-850-8537 I need witnesses that have the same truck with the same break problems the more ppl i get the more chances I get to beat NISSAN please help give me a call sin- mark B
    hey whats up my name is mark im bout 21 yrs old and i lease a 2004 nissan titan and I have had my truck in to the dealer 8 times for the breaks and rotors plus i have the new kit on and still having problems. this truck sucks.Do u still have urs and still having problems? I need a favor tell me a lil bit more about urself and if u could help me there will be something in return for u.I filed lemon law but they wont settle they say it is my fualt which is crap. What the deal is im gettin a lawyer and im putting in a lawsuit against nissan now im sueing for the truck and money now if u were to help stand up with me or talk to my lawyer and if i win I will give u a cut of what we make. ill give u my cell # U have any questions or what ever just give me a call at (574)-850-8537 I need witnesses that have the same truck with the same break problems the more ppl i get the more chances I get to beat NISSAN please help give me a call sin- mark B
    hey whats up my name is mark im bout 21 yrs old and i lease a 2004 nissan titan and I have had my truck in to the dealer 8 times for the breaks and rotors plus i have the new kit on and still having problems. this truck sucks.Do u still have urs and still having problems? I need a favor tell me a lil bit more about urself and if u could help me there will be something in return for u.I filed lemon law but they wont settle they say it is my fualt which is crap. What the deal is im gettin a lawyer and im putting in a lawsuit against nissan now im sueing for the truck and money now if u were to help stand up with me or talk to my lawyer and if i win I will give u a cut of what we make. ill give u my cell # U have any questions or what ever just give me a call at (574)-850-8537 I need witnesses that have the same truck with the same break problems the more ppl i get the more chances I get to beat NISSAN please help give me a call sin- mark B E-mail hotimportnight8@yahoo.com
  • littletitanlittletitan Member Posts: 4
    My 05 Titan's A/C is on whenever I use the defrost. If I leave it at the defrost for more than one minute than no matter where I turn the dial to, the A/C is always on unless I turn off the vent or restart the engine. I took my truck to the dealer and was told this is the way it's designed. Does anyone experience this issue ?
  • 666titan666titan Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my SE Titan a month ago and I'm already starting to regret my purchase based on what I'm reading. The only problem that i'm currently experiencing is, under moderate steady breaking, there's a shimmy on the steering wheel and its very annoying, being that the vehicle only has 1200 miles on it..! I've not experienced the break light problem..... yet...., I just hope that the Kit their going to install Tuesday 9/6/05 will take care of the shimiying problem. I believe the lemon Law applies when you had a new vehicle in for repairs on the same issue up to 8 times.... But i'm not sure, can anyone confirm this..
  • goboilersgoboilers Member Posts: 7
    Yes, your dealer is correct that is the way the defrost functions. It is explained in your owners manual.
    All I can say is be patient with the truck. Don't condemn it because of one problem. The new brake kit is AWESOME, so you should be fine there.

My Titan has 18,300 miles on it and it took a good solid 6000 miles to work all the quirks out. The truck had some major ones too, lost the front end at 4800 miles and the rearend at 5800 miles, however, I went through them replacing both and don't regret it. I had the brake judder crop up at about 15,000 miles after our trip over the Top of the World hwy towing our 6000 lb travel trailer. Dealer put the new kit on and all is well. I haven't had a problem with the truck since and don't regret sticking it out. My truck does qualify for the lemon law, but I refuse to give it up, its a GREAT truck!

Don't worry about problems others have had, just enjoy your truck!
  • bobndeebobndee Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Tried and True - We bought our Titan SE KC with the big tow package in May '05 specifically for towing our 26' Regal Commodore express cruiser. The boat weighs 5,500# dry + about 1,250# for the aluminum tandem axle trailer. Add about 500# for fuel, water, anchor and gear and you have about 7,250#!. With 1,200 miles on the truck we hauled over 1,000 miles from Florida to North Carolina in two and 1/2 days.
    :) The Titan did just fine at 65-70 mph and the stereo was a dream (with no engine noise at this speed and little if any wind noise with the AC on.. Kept it in tow mode for the gas strops and on ramps, and in the normal mode on the Interstate. It would downshift to 4th on some overpasses and hills and averaged just about 10 mpg. Nice ride - felt similar to my friend F-250 diesel. (which gets about the same mileage with his 5th wheel).
    We did have one problem with it, but that's another story (Our Dealer fixed it)
    So who says this is not a good tow vehicle?? Not me!!
  • titanamtitanam Member Posts: 3
    some of you ought to check out sites for other trucks shortcomings,i don't think anybody has made the perfect truck yet,every time i start mine,and whether it's for short trips or long,i'm happy with my decision,my mileage is right there with all the other makes,i see their trucks back at the dealer for problems also.i can still say it's a real nice ride and i love the power/engine/trans.combo-probably the best shifting/real world driver i've seen in a truck,so if you're not happy go buy a ford,gm,dodge,or whatever,then convince yourself you're better off for it.
  • bigmanxltbigmanxlt Member Posts: 1
    Ii have not had the problem with the disk brakes that everyone else seems to have had, although they did replace them at 30K when they ran out and they gave me the upgraded disks and hardware. I have a 2004 SE that from day one would not stay put on a hill. I used to live on a steep hill and after a few trips to the shop (on the first trip they did not even know how to adjust it) It finally began to hold. The dealer had the audacity to tell me that the brake was not meant to hold on a hill. I do believe that it is a design flaw. The shoes are now worn and I have a warranty replacement set coming which will be installed next week.
  • nissan777nissan777 Member Posts: 1
    I was Service tech at a nissan dealership for many years. I may have performed the brake recall about a thousand times on the new titans .What a POS, Trim problems brake problem and just plane old crappy america engineering. Word of advice to people that buy nissan, buy only nissans built the japan not in the usa. Plus nissan has so many money problem for years. Nissan was going bankrupt about four to five years ago. Then they hired a new ceo. After that the labor time to repair vehicles under warranty started to go down. Pissing off many nissan techs that use to make 80Gs to 100Gs a year. Now that been cut in half. So remember the Nissan north america dosen't care and the dealships don't care. Unless you drop about $1000 dollars. Good luck And Kiss my a-- nissan.
  • ralphestesralphestes Member Posts: 2
    This seems like a stupid question, but I've studied the chain connection (2005 Titan LW 4x2), and there appears to be no way to remove it. Both ends are attached to closed hooks. Apologies for my apparent denseness.
  • eskimoyeskimoy Member Posts: 6
    First of all I love my titans, but I hate the mileages
    I refill 16 gallons for the first time it gives me 220 :cry: miles and I am not happy bec. It didn't met the 15/17 highway, the second time I refill 19 gallons but it only gives me 200 miles even :cry: Do you have any idea how can I get a good mileages :confuse: my titan was 2004 model and it only has 5800 miles on it.. thanks.... :):)
    My ever and only dream truck period.... : :):):):)
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Odometer hit 9k miles. Was wondering if and when this is suppose to happen. I replaced the front pads with ceramics at 150 miles cause I couldn't stand all that dust buildup.

Truck was born on 12/04.
    First of all I love my titans, but I hate the mileages
    I refill 16 gallons for the first time it gives me 220 miles and I am not happy bec. It didn't met the 15/17 highway, the second time I refill 19 gallons but it only gives me 200 miles even Do you have any idea how can I get a good mileages my titan was 2004 model and it only has 5800 miles on it.. thanks....

Sounds about right, these trucks are not known for being fuel efficient. If (yeah right) I'm careful and keep my foot out of it I have managed 19 mpg on the hwy (once). Normally in mixed driving I'm getting 13.5-14 mpg. On a straight hwy trip it usually hangs in the 16 mpg range. Towing our travel trailer.........it drops to 7-9 mpg, sometimes 10 mpg on the flat with no hills.

Our other truck is a Ram 3500 V10 dually..........so the Titan seems great compared to that.

My advise........don't buy a truck if you are looking for fuel efficiency........buy an econo car (have one of those in our yard too). ;)
    Odometer hit 9k miles. Was wondering if and when this is suppose to happen. I replaced the front pads with ceramics at 150 miles cause I couldn't stand all that dust buildup.

Truck was born on 12/04.

Mine was born 8/24/04 and I didn't have any trouble with the brakes until I hit 12k miles. The judder started after we returned for a short vacation to Dawson City, YT that took us over the Top of the World hwy. That trip put a LOT of strain on the brakes, we were towing our 24 ft travel trailer. Dealer put the new kit on and all has been well........truck has just shy of 20k on it now.

It happens to some and not to others, but Nissan is covering the brakes for 3 years.
  • bobndeebobndee Member Posts: 2
    First - the obvious: ;) Drive easy: Accelerate @ 2,000 rpm, anticipate breaking and coast to stops. - Slow down! If your on a highway, try driving @ the speed limit.
    Second - :blush: inflate tires to (or just under) their maximum pressure, I keep mine @ 40 psi.
    Last - :) Switch to synthetic oil and get about a 10% increase in mileage and much longer engine life (also doesn't need to be changed as often - but check with your dealer on warrantee implications).
  • cptnmattcptnmatt Member Posts: 5
    It seems that the brake problem is caused by Nissan, the rotors dont cool sufficiently, the harder you use them, the hotter they get and the faster they warp causing the shudder, mine were just updated with the new kit and are great again. There is 34,000 miles on it and its the only problem I've had. Some people use their brakes more and harder than others, thus the problem occurs sooner.
    :) thanks for replying and the best advice, I guess I'll learn something new
    I will give that a try and inflate my tires to 40, right now my tires was inflated to 35
    thanks..... :) . :)
    :) First of all thanks, this is my first v8 truck and I loved it, never tried in highway but planning to get there, So I think the mileage is about right, so not complaining anymore, this titan was the best and handsome truck that I had...
    so far I dont have problem yet....... thanks.. :):)
  • armando78armando78 Member Posts: 10
    Are you on a mind altering substance? The problems you stated are enough to make the average person cry like a baby... I like you had the brake problems, stuck it out, I'm only on the fourth time, I have 21,000 miles on her. After the differential failed twice, I still had a good outlook, but when the dealership made me sign a paper stating if the differential failed again, they would not fix it.. You'd think that my lift had something to do with failure, then why does the dealership sell my truck with the same lift and setup mine has? Yet they still grant the warranty, until in my case the diff failes twice....
    Nope, not on drugs...........but keep in mind I'm on Titan #2, so I've been down this road before. I like my truck and plan on keeping it for a while longer.........until the pull of a diesel engine lures me away.

My truck is stock, no lift or anything, diff only failed once (while pulling our 24' TT), haven't had a single problem with the diff since then and that was over 14k miles ago.

I can't say as to why your diff failed twice, but keep in mind that any alteration like that to a vehicle puts more stress on it.
  • rmeerrmeer Member Posts: 2
    Please help.
    I need a truck to tow an 8500# A/S trailer. I wanted a Toyota, but it only handles 7200# and the full size 'might be' out by 2007. It's now between a Ford F-250 and the Titan KC. Many questions :

What is the best price for a Titan KC SE 4x4 w/ Big tow, SE Pop w/Capt ?

Does this truck really tow 9000 lbs up & down the hills of Utah w/o burning up?

Is the F250 a better truck for towing this much trailer?

Will the Toyota FTX be a better truck?

Does end of the month buying really mean anything anymore?

Please give me specific numbers. I go to do battle this week.

Thanks,
    Rmeer
    As much as I love the Titans and I have towed an 8000 lb trailer with mine, it did great, however, if you are regularly towing this much trailer then you need to move up to an F-250.

I'm not saying the Titans aren't capable, but its still just a 1/2 ton.
    A 250 is better than the titan in only one sense, it's a 3/4 ton, the 350 for that matter is the same... You may stick with a 3/4 ton... wise you will be my friend.
    Not sure if I allready posted this, but I think I realized what I did to fail my rear end twice. The differential Locker button. Appearanlty your supposed to only use the locker up to four miles per hour, and only in four wheel drive. I've mud bogged with the locker button on, and four wheel drove in four high up to 40 miles per hour, other times just two or three, but in four high.

Anyone know about this problem? Or could it just be that I am too hard on my trucks and I need to go back to a dodge or ford?
    Anyone know about this problem? Or could it just be that I am too hard on my trucks and I need to go back to a dodge or ford?

LOL, yeah, go back to Ford or Dodge and let me know how that works out for ya. I don't have a rear locker so can't comment on that.
  • goboilersgoboilers Member Posts: 7
    The differential should unlock automatically when your speed exceeds 4 mph and you should see the light flash on the E-Lock button on the dash. If light does not flash once you have exceeded 4 mph then the differential is "Stuck" in the locked position and could quite possibly cause you rear-end to fail.
    I never noticed if the light blinked when I exceeded four miles per hour. It most likely didn't since it failed. I can't see why else my truck would have this problem. Would the lift I put on it also be a factor on the stress of the locker?

I know two people with the same truck, lift, tires, wheels, they have never had a problem with the diff
  • street2street2 Member Posts: 1
    a recall for the nissan titan brakes has been issued. I had it done this past tuesday and the brakes stop awsome now. The recall is titled "brake judder", My titan's brake's started acting up about 2,000 miles ago, it has 13,000 on it now. The dealer replaced both front rotor's, pads and caliper bolts. On the rear turned the rotor's and new pads. There is also a recall on the 7 pin trailer harness which I also made them fix. GOOD LUCK.
    We'll see if I have anymore problems. I hope not, I don't want to have to buy another truck. One year I'll give it, but I don't want to go even that far. I am going back to a ford or dodge. I for sure those trucks don't have differential issues. If my warranty covered me this time if the diff fails I might keep the truck. But since they made me sign a paper stating they won't fix it if it happens again. I have no choice but to trade it in. The brake is a blessing at least that is taken care of.
  • robert26robert26 Member Posts: 10
    what about these K&N air filters?......do they help increase gas mileage?