Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• robnaorobnao Member Posts: 29
    Don't have an aftermarket exhaust (yet), but I do have a Extang Tough Tonneau, the one with the attachment like a ziploc. I love this cover, no snaps, doesn't eat up bed space, easy to remove/replace, can be rolled up and has velcro to hold to in a roll to allow carrying the large items when needed and of course it looks good. Extang has an attachment system for the bed rail system if you have that as well (mine does and it worked great).
  • gina3998gina3998 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 Titan. When I bought it, it already had an after market exhaust on it. It's a dual exhaust system. I did look under my truck to see who it was made by, but I couldn't find a name. My truck is so loud, I love it; so do my kids and husband. If you know where the brand name would be let me know and I'll look again.
    Did you get your bed cover from nissan? They told me about the ziploc system. I thought that was really cool. You don't have any problems with it loosing the seal while driving at high speeds and do you everstrap anything to the top of the cover? Also, did you have it installed or did you do it yourself? What kind of Extang Tough Tonneau do you have? I noticed that there are several kinds in the Extang.
    Not sure what all the problems are on the Titans. I just bought mine last month. Its a 2006. In a little over a month I have put on 1,500+ miles and so far I havent' had any problems with it.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    The 06 Titan is rated 5 stars by Lemon-Aid (the top rating)
    as well as my Nissan Frontier. Consumer Reports(another opinion)does not recommend the Titan at all. Apparently, the brakes can be a problem. Both good trucks as far as I'm concerned. I see a lot of Titans on our local roads, the South west coast of Canada, and whenever I get a chance, I gab with the drivers. I've heard nothing but good from these encounters, so sit back, relax, and enjoy yourself.

Cheers!
  • ezblueezblue Member Posts: 4
    I get a letter from the dealer that it is time to have my truck serviced. 3 mon/ 3750 mi,I have had my 07 for 3 mon but I only have 1800 mi. I use to go 4000 mi/ 6mon with last truck of 11 years and did it myself. I know the dealership would give me some excuse as to why I have to take it to them, That part I don't mind so much but not every 3mon the way I drive. What's ya'lls take
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I'm a bit old fashioned. I would've changed the initial oil at 1000 miles. But that's me.
  • razorthunderrazorthunder Member Posts: 98
    Did the dealer give you any free oil changes? I got free oil changes for a year when I brought my Titan. Granted it was the worst vehicle I've ever owned, and the dealership customer service was beyond poor. But at least I got some free oil changes which came in handy admist the 30 warranty repairs and the recalls.
  • ezblueezblue Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feed back guys. Given the advancement of motor oils. I really did not plan on changing it that early but I do realize there is a break in period for engines, kinda forgot, since my trusty F150 only needed normal wear and tear fixs. MY Titan had only 31 miles on it when I bought it. So for I am pleased with my Crew cab. Is there any thing particular to our trucks that I need to know outside of the owners manual, I plan on keeping this truck as long as my other one. I have read most of the forums so I've seen the issues some have had, but thankfully not much on the radar with the 07. One last ,I want a spray in liner, there are numerous shops here, is there one that rises above or is 6 of 1 1/2 doz of another. Looking forward to discussing all things TITAN :)
  • mcreamcrea Member Posts: 4
    I own a Nissan Titan 2005, present mileage 31,000 miles, at 28,000 miles I had to replace front and rear brakes. I was told by the tech that Nissan North America was aware of an ongoing problem with the brakes in the Titans and they had issued a directive to stop replacing the brakes at no charge.
    I have owned over ten vehicles and never had to change brakes after 28,000 miles, I also own a Nissan Pathfinder and both vehicles are of poor quality, my children and grands will never own a Nissan if I have any input in the purchase.
    I will discourage those that I know from buying a Nissan vehicle.In three years or less Nissan motor stock price will be like Ford motor co. Honda and Toyota are the future.
  • jennylynnjennylynn Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Titan and I had the same issue around the same amount of mileage. In addition, the rotors were warped. So the dealership replaced all 4 rotors and all the brakes. At the time, my dealership billed against that directive, so it was free of cost. If only there was a place to post information for concerned owners to threaten a lawsuit unless they took corrective action... Now that my Titan is nearing 90000 miles (48 mile long commute to work) and I'm noticing a vibration in the steering wheel again. Although I love my Titan, and loved my Pulsar too, I am going to go back to Chevy/GMC and buy a hybrid Yukon/Denali this fall.
  • rafarafa Member Posts: 35
    Just order step rails for the Nissan Titan crew cab and wanted to know if there really easy to install and do I have to drill holes on my frame. They are oem parts from an online nissan dealer if anyone can help let me know would greatly appreciation it thanks.
  • mikev83mikev83 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the AM portion of my radio go out on my 2004 Titan. The dealer says the AM tuner has been failing on the Panasonic radio but there was no re-call; they were only replacing the radio if the vehicle was still under warranty (which mine wasn't). The problem in fixing the AM adio is that you have to replace the entire radio/CD changer which costs over $1,000 I filed a complaint with NISSAN Consumer Affairs and after a month and a half they finally told me issan wouldn't help replace the radio and if I wanted to pursue it further i would have to del with the Radio manufacturer. I was offered $200 in service credit at my local Nissan dealer. I have frends with 30 year old cars with good AM radios; this is ridiculous that Nissan isn't standing up for it's quality problems. No wonder the Titan gets a black circle in Consumer Reports for reliability. Anyone else have this problem?
  • nickguttmannickguttman Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    My '05 is at 30K miles and it's time to replace the gear oils and ATF fluids. I notice the manual is insistent that this be done by the dealer, but I've done this on my other trucks no problem. Anyone know the front, rear, and ATF capacities since the manual doesn't list them?
    Also, I haven't had any differntial problems but I can see a lot of you have. Is there any way to tell that my rear differential is bad without any obvious symptoms? Thanks!
  • rafarafa Member Posts: 35
    Well just got home from picking up the tow mirrors for the titan wanted to know if anybody installed the mirrors them self and if it was easy. They came with directions but wanted to know if you guys had any info for me should i try to install my self or should i take to dealer let me know thanks.
  • gbloodworthgbloodworth Member Posts: 4
    The trans does not have a dipstick - and is sealed.
    The short answer is it requires special fluid which is expensive. The lube shops will be tempted to use their "expertise" and insert a "compatible" fluid since fluid will cost around $10.00 per quart.

I had mine changed at the dealer - oil change and trans oil flush for $300. Expensive but the alternative may not have a happy ending.
  • bufallabufalla Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 Titan SE with 65,000 miles. I started having brake problems before it hit 20,000. I took it in because I thought it needed an allignment and was told that it was the brakes right away. Obviously they knew it was a problem. So the rotars were warped and they fixed that. At around 24,000 miles my back brakes were metal on metal so took it in. This was not covered and I had to replace them. Nissan told me this was normal wear and tear. I'm not an engineer but it's obvious that when there was a problem with the front brakes that this probably caused the back brakes to over compensate and therefore need replacing. Two more times I had to take it back in for the rotars. Finally after contacting Nissan customer service, they authorized the dealer to put a "KIT" on the vehicle at no charge to fix the problem. They also replace the back brakes again. At approximatley 55,000 miles it all started again. Took it in again at about 60,000 miles and all four rotars were again warped. NOT COVERED and back brakes needed replaced again. I contacted Nissan Customer service once again and a regional representative contacted me. He let it slip that the engineers knew there was a problem but it has not been recalled and didn't know if it would be. I told him that I wanted a manager to contact me. This was in August and I still have not heard from them. So, I recently sent them some correspondence and I'm waiting a response. I love the truck otherwise and would like to keep it. However, Nissan needs to come clean and fix this problem. It is obvious from doing some research on the Web that this is a consistent problem with many consumers. I am to the point now that I am about to contact a lawyer. I welcome any opinions or related experiences.
    Before spending money on a lawyer try filing an online complaint at BBB online.
  • gaspasser2gaspasser2 Member Posts: 44
    Anybody here have any brake problems with the 06-07 models. I'm considering the 08 PRO 4X long cab. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks obyone. Appreciate the info. I assume BBB is better business bureau?
  • kingkooldaddykingkooldaddy Member Posts: 8
    I have an '06 with 13k miles that I have noticed the brakes grinding occasionally. It doesn't happen all the time, but I am going to have it checked out. During the first three months my truck was in service 6 times, rear end replaced, a/c vent tube replaced, bad door seal, chipped paint (they would not fix), replaced carpet from mildew, replaced floor mats. Check out consumer reports before buying the Nissan Titan, it rates so poorly, they would not give it a rating. Save your money, buy a Toyota. Don't get stuck with a turd like the rest of us.
    Oh, and by the way, I filed with the BBB and all Nissan would pony up was an extended warranty. Oh Boy!
    I'm so sorry for your troubles. Do you still drive this truck then? Is it because the Titan has too small of a rotor for its weight? The new Titan supposedly have a rotor that is 26% bigger. I wonder if that solves the brake wear down problems.
    yes
    As my truck had a ton of mods done I didn't want to pursue buyback. GM offered Major Guard bumper to bumper $0 deductible up to 5 years/100K miles worth $2700 if bought at the dealer. What that meant was any problem for the next 3 years or 75K miles would be paid for by GM. I think if Nissan offered something similar to bufalla he would be more than satisfied.
    No need to be sorry for me, thanks anyway. I should have researched a little more prior to buying, that's all. Don't get me wrong, sure, I have some sour grapes to Nissan, and the dealership that I bought it from in Gainesville Georgia, but it is performing well other than the brakes seem to be grinding a little lately. Power wise, the truck performs well, I just wish Nissan had done more home work in the beginning. Good luck to you and to all the other Titan owners.
    Thanks. Yes I still drive the truck. Other than this the truck is great. 04 was the first year and I'm sure they have fixed the problem with the brakes. I just want them to fix the problem on my truck and it should be no problem to do so. I am discouraged by the lack of concern on Nissan's part. It is so obvious there is a problem with the 04 model and they need to make this right. I am waiting on another response from Nissan now. The problem is the size of the rotar. We'll see....
  • ncracecityncracecity Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new Titan in '04. Since then I have had 2 new differentials installed. The story I got was that a company called Danner (sp?) built the rear end and they had problems. In under 10,000 miles a significant "thump" developed when placing the car in reverse or park or drive, or whatever.

At first they tried to adjust the lash in the gears. At over 20,000 miles while in the shop for routine maint. they checked the brakes, gee, I wonder why? They found that the axle bearing seals were leaking, so they fixed them.

The "thumping" had been getting worse, so at just over 25,000 miles, I complained bitterly. This time they kept the truck for several weeks and ended up replacing the rear diff., that would be the 2nd rear end in this truck.

Next few thousand miles were switches, hoses, brake rotors, and other fun stuff until we got to just over 40,000 miles and the "thumping" was back with a vengeance. This time I got the "Danner rear end bad, Dana rear end good" speech. So they swapped it out again. For those not keeping count, that is the 3rd rear end. I was told it was a Dana rear end, hoorah, problem solved...not so quick.

Long story short, here we are over the warranty mileage and lo and behold after taking the truck for a routine oil change and asking them to just check the seals, I get the "you need a new rear end" call, and Nissan says, "so sorry, no mo' warranty for you". It wasn't even the Dana Diff. I was told it was.

I will be contacting a lawyer.

Good Luck with your older Titan, I am sorely disgusted with what I thought would be a truck I could run for 150,000 miles.
    Wow--I thought I had it bad. I believe you need to contact a lawyer. I actually got an email last Friday saying that I would hear from someone within one business day. Well here it is Wednesday of the next week and nothing. I am going to take the advice of an earlier response and contact the BBB first. There is a lawyer on the web under lemon laws that will take your case with no cost to you. They get their payment from the company. Don't know their rep though so can't recommend. Keep us updated on your status.
    Rear brakes gone at 27K. Tires gone at 30K.

Good thing I replaced the front pads at 100 miles with ceramics. Dealer quotes $300 to cut rotors and replace pads...no thanks. Bought a set of ceramic pads for the rears but having a hard time finding replacement tires locally. Size seems to be an "E" rated tire.
  • kenneth443kenneth443 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2004 Titan SE. I have had brake problems 11 times(warped rotors of course). Nissan told me they would take care of the problem. They admitted they had a problem. Now I have 75000 miles an the brakes are warped again. They told me they was not going to warranty it anymore. I have contacted a lawyer an going ahead with the lemon law.
    It is really bad because I love the truck EXCEPT for the brakes. :mad:
    and 75K miles? What state are you in?
  • dochundleydochundley Member Posts: 4
    08 SE, Crew Cab, 1500 miles, Ac drain leaks onto passenger side carpet/ rear end vibration/ guages reflect in side mirror at night/sunglass holder felt lining is detached/gas spills out of tank when filling up if really low on gas

Headed to the dealer for the third time in 2 months tomorrow. Anyone have any success with a buy back?
    Do lemon laws cover when it's been a few years?
    Sorry for your troubles. I hope you can get it fixed. If I were you I would try the buy back or check into lemon laws. I received a call back from Nissan today and they told me they would not do anything for me regarding all the brake issues I've had. I guess they think that the one fix that they did (called the 'kit') is all they need to do. It was only a short term fix and started doing the same thing again. I am going to file a complaint with the BBB. And also check into lemon laws. Although I don't believe lemon law will help me since I've had the truck for awhile. It's all about customer satisfcation and Nissan obviously does not care. It is so apparent that the brake issue is an ongoing problem with the Titan. I will never buy another Nissan product. I hope they realize that their decision will ultimately cost them not only my business but possibly other potential buyers because I will not be able to say anything good about Nissan now. Guys talk about their cars alot and when the topic comes up I will absolutley let them know about my problems. No doubt this will sway folks from purchasing a Nissan. Apologies to all you Nissan fans--but it's all about satisfaction and Nissan would not resolve my issue. There are too many other options out there where the vehicles are quality. Maybe this is why Nissan only offers a 36K warranty where most others over much more. I welcome opinions...
    Couple of things to check:

1-when they installed the kit did it come with a 5year/100K warranty on the brakes?

2-File a complaint against the dealership you bought the truck from with the BBB. It may or may not help and can't hurt as if they are members of your local BBB they will be put in a difficult position of having to answer your complaint. You can do the same for Nissan USA and file one with the NHTSA.

Other than that if you still want to keep the truck I suggest you buy some aftermarket rotors and pads. That will fix your problem once and for all. And this will probably be the cheapest route all complaints aside.
    Boy, am I glad I'm waiting til next summer to buy. I was close to buying one just weeks ago with the $4250 rebate and all. I thought I really had a bargain there for a moment. Please keep us updated and I truly wish you good luck. I can't believe the 9.7 consumer rating so far.
  • dochundleydochundley Member Posts: 4
    After 3rd visit dealer installed 2 new rear tires. Vibration is reduced but not gone. Nissan says bad lot of tires. My dealer says already has 20 tires in stock. I will address remaining issues at first oil change. I encourgage people with ongoing problems to post to sites like this b/c information can show ongoing design flaws. I will be pursuing lemon law. I don't know how other states work, but here you have to have same problem 3 times in one year or 12k miles. Already have that. Whatever happens truck will be traded or sold when basic warranty is expired. Should have more info for everyone in December.
    I agree with you. I hope you win everything. Thank you for the update. I'll be keeping my eye on your progress. Best of luck again.
    Its interesting that despite the nagging unresolved issues, Nissan has the audacity to increase the price on the 08 Titan by over $1600 from 07. This can't be good.
    Thanks for the info obyone. I did file an online complaint with the BBB and it stated I will receive some correspondence in the mail and be required to send back work sheets, etc. Also, appreciate the info on the aftermarket rotors and pads. I do like the Titan other than the brake issues and the service from Nissan. I will look into alternatives. Do you know where I would find these and approximatel cost?

No, I don't think the new kit came with a 5 year/100K warranty as Nissan told me it was out of warranty. I told them that shouldn't matter as it was supposed to fix the orginal issue and it didn't. They should be required to fix it but they are not budging. Sad thing is they don't realize that forums like these express consumer thoughts and will influence potential customers from going elsewhere.
    For rotors you can check here:

Titan rotors

or here:

Powerslot rotors

I would recommend getting some good pads as well.
    Thanks for the info. Most helpful!
  • reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    Guys (and gals?), if you do arbitration through the BBB, treat this like a court case. I am doing arbitration right now for the rear end vibration/hop problem. I have had 4 sets of tires, 2 sets of factory wheels, and shimmed the diff, still not fixed. Now, back to the arbitration comments. First and foremost, this is a court case outside of a court room, start thinking that way from day one. Second, have every bit of paperwork about your truck that you can get your hands on, even the Window sticker (meroni?). You will need a copy of all your paperwork for you, the Nissan rep, the BBB rep and the arbiter. if you intend to make any statement about anything, back it up with fact, show proof that you did XXX, hearsay means nothing. Also, the Nissan rep's job (and he will try hard, trust me) will be to belittle or make light of anything you say, he will be taking notes about everything you say and will try to make you look like you are just being emotional about the problem, and that there IS NO PROBLEM! You will get to talk first and present your case. Show the facts, show your service records, highlight in color when the problems happened. Bring all your service records, and make damn sure you go to the dealership and get a printout to make sure you have all your work orders. Inform the arbiter of the date you went and picked up the work orders from the dealership. If you can, get the workorders that show what the dealer sees, the ones that show what work was done. Big note here, if you have a workorder that shows "no labor", find out what was done for "no labor". I had some workorders that showed no labor, but work was done that day. They show no labor because the dealer didn’t send Nissan a charge for the work that one done that day since it was work that had already been done before and charged to Nissan. They can’t charge Nissan for the same labor in some cases, so they show "no labor".
    If at the BBB meeting, the Nissan rep has papers from the dealership that you do not, ask why. You should have everything that the dealership or Nissan has on this case. Likewise, if you intend to bring anything to the arbitration, make sure you submit it to the BBB before the meeting or you might not be able to present that evidence, but that can vary.

The arbitration will take place at the BBB, but there can and probably will be a test drive. It’s possible that the arbiter will not drive your vehicle, but the BBB person that is attending the meeting will. Oh, and make sure you have your proof of insurance! I was asked if I had it, but they didn’t actually ask to see it. In my arbitration, my meeting was recorded by the BBB, they used a voice recorder. I was told I would get a copy of that at a later date. I cannot stress enough at how hard the Nissan rep will try to make you look bad and how hard he will try to make it look like there is not a problem when it is his turn to talk. Listen to what he is saying, and write down things that you want to rebuke or correct so that when you get to do your rebuttal, you have a list of what you want to say and so you won’t forget. In my case, I focused on the Nissan rep's "expertise" since he said he was a zone rep (DTS), and I caught him by surprise on a few questions and made him look a little foolish I thought. The Nissan rep even made note of some of the things I had discussed with the BBB rep on the phone before the meeting, so be careful of what you say to the BBB person, they write it down and log it!! I highly, highly suggest you create an agenda for yourself of the things you want to say, little bulletized items that will remind you of what you wanted to say and what page of your paperwork this is referenced at. Find a way to sort out the paperwork so that it is organized with tabs, or subject dividers etc. The key to this is to be cool, calm and be Mr. Spock. Be intelligent, be well spoken, and relax. You get one shot at this, and that’s it. You can’t come back the next day and say "oh, I forgot to say this". Too late, you had your time. I can’t comment much on the brake issue that many of you are having, I have been lucky, I have an 06 CC 4x4 and my brakes have been good. I can say that when we went for a drive, there were four of us in the cab, and the vibration/bouncing was not all that evident. It is much worse with just two people or even one, and I should have had the BBB person drive the truck alone (my arbiter could not drive a vehicle) so that he could feel the bouncing and report back to the arbiter, but to my regret I did not.
    Let me tell you what I thought would clinch the victory for me. I took my truck to a local Dyno shop, and the bouncing problem was very evident. I am going to post the video somewhere so that you can see what I saw. I used a tripod and my camcorder to videotape the bouncing. I got some really good shots of the bed hopping up and down, and the passenger’s side rear tire vibration was fair too. I even got shots of the driver’s side door wide open and bouncing (the Nissan rep said this was not a valid test since the door was wide open and resting on its hinges, so it would bounce regardless). I also taped the camera to the bed rail and ran the dyno, which made the camera shake like crazy (I turned the camera jitter correction off). I wish I owned a high def camera, it probably would have shown the detail better. I tried to get a couple of the service managers to come witness the truck on the dyno, but they would not. If you try to get them to come see the truck on the dyno, email or send the service manager a letter, and have them state in writing that they will not go. So when I presented this video in the arbitration meeting, the first thing out of the Nissan reps mouth was that the “dyno was a very specialized piece of equipment”, and that none of the Nissan dealerships had one. He continued that he had never worked with a dyno, and was not an expert, but he had seen videos of Nissan vehicles on a dyno at Nissan testing facilities. He then started to question if the dyno operator was certified to operate the dyno, and maybe the operator didn’t know what he was doing. Then he stated that the truck’s natural behavior would be such that it would “want to jump off the dyno”. He is not a dyno expert he says, but he can tell you that the truck wants to jump off the dyno. See, this is what I mean by him trying really hard to belittle everything. Then he went through the dealership’s workorders one by one, pointing out where it said “no labor” when in actuality, the dealership had balanced the tires again. I had to correct the Nissan rep when it was my turn again, and I questioned if a dealership would charge Nissan again for work that was previously done. In this case, the dealership had already balanced the tires and charged Nissan for the time, so they would not charge Nissan again. The rep waffled quite a bit here and said that it was up to the dealership as to how they did their paper work, so th
  • reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    The rest of my document:
    The rep waffled quite a bit here and said that it was up to the dealership as to how they did their paper work, so that could be why I had so many “no labor” on my sheets. I also printed out many of the pages of TitanTalk that showed where others were having vibration/bouncing problems, and I highlighted in yellow all the different people that were having problems (12in all in a quick search). At the end, I got to speak, and I spoke from the heart and mind and corrected and tried my best to make it look like the Nissan rep didn’t know anything, and that he was wrong. Lastly, I suggest that if you are doing arbitration, watch those TV court shows, like Judge Judy, people court etc. I’m not saying the arbitration will be that tough, but if you prepare like you are going in front of the judge, you will be much better off. If you watch a few cases, you will see that the person that backs up their case with facts usually wins. “He said”, “she said” doesn’t usually win court cases, and neither will you if that’s all you have. If you lose arbitration, it will be great preparation for a real court case though! And as soon as you walk out of arbitration, sit in your car and write down everything you could have done better, stuff you didn’t do at all, and stuff the Nissan rep did too. If you lose, you may need that stuff to win the real court case. I have not received a decision as of my writing this, and its been a couple of weeks. Put them trucks on a dyno if you are having the rear end vibration/hop, and film it with a camera on a tripod!
    You sound well prepared and best of luck. Keep us posted.
    No gripes, no problem. Happy Holidays everyone.
  • tripdtripd Member Posts: 2
    I haave an 04 Titan and the other day I went to put the truck in 4wd and I got nothing. The lights on the dash will not even come on or blink. When I flip the diff lock switch it will not blink like it normally does when I flip it while in 2wd. I know it only engages in 4lo but it should still blink. I pulled the dash off and I have power going to the 4wd switch but like I said it does nothing when switched to 4wd. I have checked all the fuses and they are all fine. Any suggestions?
  • tripdtripd Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Titan and the other day I went to put the truck in 4wd and I got nothing. The lights on the dash will not even come on or blink. When I flip the diff lock switch it will not blink like it normally does when I flip it while in 2wd. I know it only engages in 4lo but it should still blink. I pulled the dash off and I have power going to the 4wd switch but like I said it does nothing when switched to 4wd. I have checked all the fuses and they are all fine. Any suggestions?
  • dgoinesdgoines Member Posts: 1
    my driver side window started getting stuck and i would have to play with the button,but now it do not go down at all, any suggestion