Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tony48tony48 Member Posts: 7
    i have had a similar problem where if i hit/lift switch too fast the window starts and then stops dead for about 3 seconds. i then try it again more slowly and the window will work. nissan said there may be a recall someday!
  • reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    Well folks, sorry for the delay, but I lost the arbitration. I showed the BBB person the video of my truck bed bouncing, but when we went for a ride, the were 4 people in the cab, and the truck just didnt bounce. The arbitrator noted this, and thats why I lost. The sucky part is that I went home that exact same way, and the truck bounced again, so it has something to do with the weight in the truck. i took the truck back to the dealer, and they tried different shims, and even swapped the shocks and struts, but no go. They have given up. I have opened a case with Nissan again, but I bet they tell me to go away. IF they do send out the DTS (zone tech) I bet he says it is normal for it to bounce. I'm starting a Texas lemon case today as well (Ug, more formed to fill out). if that fails, I guess court is my last straw.
  • gaspasser2gaspasser2 Member Posts: 44
    I just can't believe they can't figure the problem out. You can't be the only one with this problem. I'm sorry about the arbitration result. Please keep us posted. And again, good luck.
  • bch1956bch1956 Member Posts: 1
    I was having a problem with my driver's window. It would go up about 4" and then stop, hesitate and then go back down. I found that the issue was the sheet metal on the door frame where the front of the window by the mirror meets the door. The window would go against the window sheet metal and there was a small rip in the metal that kept the window from going up.
  • smittyj98smittyj98 Member Posts: 2
    I Have Problems with my 04 titan (70,000 miles). My defrost don't work, my tail pipe fell off and by rear passanger door wouldn't open one day. The door finally opened but not sure what caused it. I also have problems with the auto lights. I have a relay that chatters after the truck is off and it kills the battery. Anybody else cursed like me. Alos the truck seems to down shift on a decline. Seems like its in tow mode but its not. Any help?
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Anybody else cursed like me. Alos the truck seems to down shift on a decline.

Can't help you with the rest of the stuff, but when I had my 04 Titan it did the downshift when going down a steep hill as well. I never thought anything of it, never bothered the truck in the 56k miles I drove it.
  • smittyj98smittyj98 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input
  • gina3998gina3998 Member Posts: 7
    I have an '06 Titan and mine down shifts when I go down a hill or mountain. I haven't figured out why yet either. But it really bugs me!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    All trucks do exactly that. It is a feature that some don't like. To get out of the engine braking mode just give it a little more gas.
  • afergusonaferguson Member Posts: 4
    I had this same problem with my 2005 Titan SE. Dealer kept balancing the goodyear wrangler tires and problem got better but never went away completely. Finally at about 30k miles I put Continental tires on the rear and the bounce at 55 mph has dissapeared completely. I did put new goodyear on the front and continentals on the back to use the unused spare tire but then ran into another problem where the truck would not come out of 4H when knob returned to 2 wheel drive. After 5 hrs with dealer this problem turned out to be tire size. Goodyears were 1/2 inch larger in diameter and when dealer replaced these with continental problem went away. I fully believe Goodyear Wranglers are a problem on Titan Pickups.
    I have 2005 SE with adjustable pedals and my 4 ft 11 inch daughter can drive the truck just fine. In fact she can back it up using mirrors just as good as I can
    Unless the problem is fixed with new tires or balancing the issue has to be a design problem where something in the rear drive system is reaching what is called a mechanical resonant frequency causing the vibration. Mine seems to have been fixed when I went to Continental tires. Because of the way the problem manifested itself I firmly believe there is an inherent design problem with the rear drive system. It may be interesting to try different drive shaft components or remove the driveshaft and have it balanced. Could also try adding additional weights to the drive shaft to change the weight but be sure to keep it in balance. Just some ideas from an old backyard mechanic.
  • 04nhtitan04nhtitan Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 KC with 124K I have had brake problems in the past. Dealer replaced the front rotors and pads many times under warranty. As most of us know the rotors are undersized for the truck, which in turn creates, more heat which warps the rotor that causes the pulsation. In my truck pulsation would begin between 5K-8K miles after brake service. The primary problem is the ceramic pads. Like most vehicle improvements, these were developed in the racing industry and adopted by manufactures. Organic pads are too soft in racing applications hence they ware out before the race is over ceramic pads are hard enough to last because the ware out the rotors instead. I'm sure you've seen the "lifetime brake pad guarantee" at many brake shops. That’s because the burn up your rotors. SOLUTION I've used every pad I could find that would fit my truck most with poor results except for AKEBONO ProACT I’ve got 18K and no pulsating yet they also grab 20-30% better (less pedal pressure to slow/stop) I found mine on line for $75+- online at the tirerack Have your rotors turned true and put these pads on you'll be happy
    That's odd. I replaced my stock pads with Raybestos ceramics at 300 miles cause I couldn't stand all that black dust with the stock setup. At 39K no warped rotors, no worn pads well except for the rear pads which went south at 26K miles and replaced those with ceramic Raybestos too.
  • bufallabufalla Member Posts: 10
    That is some good advise, thank you. I've had my 04 Titan in many times for the rotars, etc. and I've spend money on it. The 'kit' was installed as well to 'fix' the problem. It did for a bit but it all returned. I ended up once again with warped rotars and in need of new pads. I haven't had any recent problems (knock on wood). I've contacted Nissan on several ocassions and the last time they said they wouldn't do anything as it was out of warranty. Very discouraging. I then contacted BBB who after me spending time getting the necessary paperwork, informed me that they could do nothing due to it being an 04 model (timeframe).
    Anyway, thanks for the info as I'm sure I'll have the problems again.....
    I will tell you this, I love the truck but I will never buy another Nissan vehicle do to their lack of customer service and willingness to fix a problem that is so obvious for many Titan owners.
  • ricks4ricks4 Member Posts: 6
    '05 Titan SE King....occasionally I will return to the parked truck and find both the driver and passenger window either half down or completely down. I know I didn't leave them that way. I've searched here and on Google for similar complaints but haven't found any.

Is it possible that some other person's remote keyless system is working my windows? Anyone else have this problem or heard of it?
    No aftermarket parts. As far as increased frequency...can't really say unless yesterday's events constitute increased frequency. It happened once about 2 or 3 months ago. Then, it happened twice yesterday....half-way down in the morning and all the way down in the afternoon.

This has never happened anywhere except in the parking lot at work. I've got 50,000 miles on the truck so you would think it would have happened somewhere else besides work. That was why I wondered if someone unique to our parking lot could be causing some interference in the system.
    Being a member of several Titan forums I'd have to agree with you that I've never heard of that problem. Since you have to hold the remote button down for several seconds to have the windows retract, I doubt that is the case where someone else's remote is doing that. I'd bet there is a short in the electrical system causing it. Have you had any type of aftermarket parts installed like an alarm system or stereo? Has the frequency of this occurance increased over time?
    I'm LMAO. No pun intended. I figured it out.

I probably knew when I first bought the truck that you could hold the remote down for a couple seconds and the windows would come down. Haven't done it since then and completely forgot about it. Obyone's comments made me think.

I'm on the second floor of the building but only maybe 50' from where I park the truck. Yes, I keep the keys in my rear pocket and my butt faces the window. I just tried to lower the windows from my desk....yes, they went down. That's why it never happened anywhere else....circumstances don't match anywhere else.

Thanks for solving the problem. LOL.
    Now that's an original never heard before!!

Glad you figured it out. ;)
  • luvmytitanluvmytitan Member Posts: 1
    I found the answer to the "phantom window opener" about a week ago. We have 2 Nissans; my wife' 07 Altima and my 08 Titan. We've had it happen with both vehicles and we thought that someone else had something close to our frequency. Then I noticed that I was the culpret. If I leaned over the right way and stayed leaned, my keys contacted the "unlock door" button for over 3 seconds and, as advertised, the windows came down. My wife's Nissan has the keyless start, so I carry her extra "football" in one pocket and my remote in the other with my keys. So, I was doing the same thing with her car. It would be nice if Nissan could figure a way to shield the buttons and still keep the remote easy to operate.
  • wpatterson1wpatterson1 Member Posts: 6
    I have 85000 miles on my '04 Titan XE CC. Yesterday my transmission seemed real sluggush. After stopping and waiting a few minutes I started it up. Here is where it gets weird, for about 5 seconds after the engine started all the gauge needles fluttered and then went to their normal positions. By the way, the transmission seems to be okay as of this morning. When I did start the truck this morning, my trip odometer was showing 0. When I got home last night it was at approx 100 mi. Anything like this happen to anyone else?
  • robnaorobnao Member Posts: 29
    I have an 05 CC, red alert, 4x4. I have the paint chipping problem also. I took it in and the dealer took pictures, sent them to Nissan, they denied, claimed it was rock chips. The dealer service guy could tell it was not rock chips, so he agreed to have the area rep look at it when he came by. I had to leave the truck for the day, but the area rep agreed it was a paint proble and they are in the process of getting the repair (entire truck painted) approved. I am in Hawaii and there are no paint shops set up to do whole vehicle painting like this, so the paint job is going to cost over $10,000 and take over a month. So now Nissan is going to have to give me a loaner and I can not accept the normal little Sentra they give, not for this amount of time. I say push the issue again and make them have the area rep look at your paint as this is a growing issue.
  • robnaorobnao Member Posts: 29
    I am looking for anyone else who has had any experience with this paint chipping issue. I am currently in the process of getting approval for a paint chipping issue fixed, complete paint job. I remember a post on this site a LONG time ago and the poster was getting the same paint job I am, but was also worried about loss of value on the truck since it would not be factory paint. I am wondering if anyone has had any situation similar to that and what happened. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Just curious. What dealership are you working with? on Oahu? I've read in several Titan forums about the paint chipping problem which I may also have but wasn't too concerned as my Titan is used as a work truck. What didn't help was the yardman who weedwacked and put about 15 dings on one side of the truck. Needless to say he doesn't do my yard anymore.

When the truck went into the dealership for warranty work, I used to get a rental from Enterprise who usually had a Silverado or Ram to use so I guess I wasn't severely compromised as in getting stuck in a Sentra.
  • robert26robert26 Member Posts: 10
    air dam, ferring, plastic bumper cover.

whatever it is ....i smashed it and want to know if anyone knows of an aftermarket replacement.

it's the molded painted plastic cover over the real bumper and holds the fog lights.

thanks!

bob
  • learmechlearmech Member Posts: 1
    Need help. I have a 04 Titan wit 76000 miles on it. The problem is every once in a while when I but the truck in drive the Slip,V/C Off and brake warning lights come on. When it happens I shut the engine off wait one minute then start it up again. Most of the time the lights do not come back on but there are times they do. Anyone ever have this happen to them and what was the problem?
  • jasondufjasonduf Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a used 05 titan that has low miles and is in great shape. the one problem is that stereo preset buttons and a few others in the stereo stick and are very hard to press, particularly when it is cold. the truck is clean and when the weather is hot the buttons work fine, but as soon as the interior is cool, the buttons get very stiff. has anyone else had this problem? any solutions?
    yep, someone spilled or sprayed something at the controls, and when its warm, the stuff is gooey. when it cools off, it gets hard. Kinda like taffy, warm it moves/bends, cold it snaps. Solution? unknown, I never took the face plate off the radio. if you can, and you can get to the buttons, you might be able to clean it. Worst case, replace the unit with a new/used one, or an aftermarket radio.
  • robert26robert26 Member Posts: 10
    do these things work?

seen them on Ebay.

thanks!

bob
  • the_big_althe_big_al Member Posts: 1,079
    I just happened to be perusing the boards tonight and although I am a Chevy truck owner, I thought I would see what other brands are going through.

It turns out that I have noticed a common theme throughout the forums. Each forum about a particular truck is filled with complaints and problems and "I'm at the last straw" attitudes. So I guess it just goes to show that all manufacturers are going to have problems whether it be GM, Nissan, Dodge or Toyota...
  • joebusajoebusa Member Posts: 1
    Hi There! I have been searching for someone that has had the brake problems like I have on the front brakes. I own a 2006 Titan Crew Cab 4x4 and I can assure you that the brake issue has not been resolved. I had to change out both front rotors and 4 pads at just 30k miles. After changing them out, I went another 28k miles and am having the same problem.
    Nissan refuses to address the problem or admit that there is a problem. On the 2008 Models, Nissan has increased the size of the rotors on the front brakes. Maybe its me, but doesn't the fact that they did this indicate that they know they HAD a design error? I will not back off of this and hope to gather enough of Nissans' Customers to make them correct this issue. Please reply on this site once you see my email.

Thanks...........
    I have an 06 CC 4x4, and yes, my rotors started at about 30k as well. I have not had them turned yet (probly this weekend).
  • bufallabufalla Member Posts: 10
    Robnao,
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Yes, I've experienced the same problems. I have the 2004 Titan and experienced similar problems. I had my front rotars and brake pads redone at just under 30K miles. Then I to experienced it again within about 25K miles. Then again. Finally, they put the "kit" on my truck and it appeared to fix the problem until I reached about 62K. Then it happened again. I contacted Nissan and they told me it was not under warranty any longer. I told them that it was an obvious ongoing problem and that the "kit" didn't fix the issue. They washed their hands of it. So I contacted the BBB and after sending all of the paperwork to them, it was disturbing to find out that they could do nothing for me because of the year of my vehcile. I pretty much told Nissan that I would never buy another vehicle from them ever again, which I won't. I do love my truck and plan to keep it. I am going to look into putting ceramic pads, etc. on it myself. But I can assure you that I will never do business with Nissan ever again. I hope they realize that this will cost them in the long run since they lost me as a customer and they can be positve that I will pass on my negative views of Nissan products to everyone and anyone who will listen.
    Let me know how things go and if I can be of assistance. I'd love to have Nissan fix this problem for me.
    I have a 05 Titan CC which due to brake dust changed the front pads to ceramic at 300 miles. That was a blessing. No more brake dust and NO brake issues. Apparently those metallic pads that Nissan uses while providing a little better braking then the ceramics also causes excessive heat buildup which warps the rotors.

My rear brakes wore out at 24K miles. Asked the dealer why did they wear so fast while the fronts still looked like new? They replied that's how it is and quoted me $350 to cut the rotors and replace the pads. I told them forget it and replaced the rears with ceramics. Going on 40K miles with no brake issues.
  • jwseyjwsey Member Posts: 1
    I just failed my inspection due to the fact that my rotors were rusted, I was told by the service manager that I didn't drive my Titan enough, which I have 23,000 miles on and drive it everyday to work.They told me they would not cover it because of wear and tear, I never heard anyone say that something was worn or rusted because of the lack of use.I had to replace the brakes in the first year I owned the 06 and now again in '07, something is wrong.
    well, if the rust is where the brake pads would normally contact the rotor, that means that your caliper is not engaging the brakes at all, in which case the brake system has a problem. if the rust is elsewhere, thats not grounds for an inspection failure in most states. I'm in Texas and used to be an inspector. Ask the inspector to show you in the manual (that they are required to have on hand) where it says rust is grounds for failure.
  • dtitan04dtitan04 Member Posts: 2
  • dtitan04dtitan04 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having several problems
    1. driver side window will not operate, I haven't tried in a while because when it does work, it will go down but not up.
    2. Truck seems to die when idling sometimes, seems like it is dieing more often now.
    3. while the cruise control is on it will shut-off by it's self. sometimes when trying to reset it the "set" light will blink and it will not set.
    4. the check engine light is intermittent. It will stay on for 3 to 4 days than next time in the truck it won't come on.
    I know these are alot of problems but can someone help???? Please!!!!! :cry:
  • jbe2jbe2 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same brake issue on my 2005 titan. They fixed it two times and the second time seems to have solved the problem. But the truck is a piece of junk. It have been in the shop for over 60 days most in the last 15 months most of it electrical issue. About 6800 dollars in repairs. They have no idea just throwing parts at the problem. Nissan customer service says sorry about you luck.
    The 04 had problematic window motors that needed to be replaced.

On the check engine light a code has been set and needs to be downloaded via an OBD II code reader. Most of the auto parts stores could do it for you for free.

The 04 also had grounding issues that could cause your idling issues.

Haven't heard anything about the cruise control.
    I've recently had the same problem. My 04 LE 142K had this problem @ 130K+- It stalled from idle intermently a few times one day then sporadically every few days over the next few weeks. Finally it stalled dead on the highway I had it towed to the nearest dealer. Luckily the dealer was great I was pissed at the time because it is also my primary work truck. I dropped (towed) it off @ 10:00am Thursday and picked it up @6:00PM Friday. They only charged me $150 +- for the repair even tough their top guy was on it all day hooked up to the diagnostic. Turn out it was the ECM (electronic control module) relay this sends power to the computer controlled ignition. My guess base on the symptoms after the fact is that frequency modulation at idle/low RPM caused the contact pad on the micro switch to vibrate due to a worn out electromagnet coil (inside the relay). Haven’t had problem since. Hope this helps.
  • ruthlesrebruthlesreb Member Posts: 2
  • ruthlesrebruthlesreb Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any radiator/overheating problems with their titans? I just can't believe that at 50K miles the radiator blows out. Just one day my tuck started bucking and i immediately noticed the oil pressure light on, then noticed th temp all the way to H. After pulling over to figure out what the heck? i finally was able to add coolant, stopped one block from Auto Zone, Thank God. then i drove home with no problem. figured maybe a fluke but i would keep an eye on it. over the next several days it was intermittent, some days no problem, other days it would dump the coolant when i shut off the engine, and/or i was parked angled down. my driveway is a lil steep and i back in. so after i had enough, the dealer was very unhelpful saying, "your out of warranty". so know i need a $400 radiator on a 4 Y.O. tuck with 50K miles, almost unheard of to me.
  • dilbydilby Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Nissan Titan - bought it new - and I have 69,000 miles on it. Last week I had to purchase my SECOND replacement radiator - first one failed at around 38k miles, and this one just went out. Cheap plastic/alum crap -and of course it's not a recall item (can't believe I'm the only one with this problem).

anybody else?

dj
    I have an 04 LE crew with 151K original radiator never a problem. My following comments are only base upon what I've read. Is the coolant the correct PH (too acidic or alkaline) It may have been at some point in time and deteriorated the water pump blades to cause overheating.. Is the thermostat working correctly It controls the amount of coolant flow between the engine and radiator... Has any foreign chemicals ever been inadvertently poured into the coolant system to cause internal clogs or corrosion? ie radiator stop leak material. I recommend a complete radiator flush from a trusted mechanic and urge them to inspect the inner surfaces of the water pump assembly for caustic or mechanical damage. Don't use tap water use only distilled water for mixing the concentrate or buy premixed. I can't think of anything other than a caustic liquid or electrolysis the anode (your radiator) the cathode ( a dissimilar metal in direct contact with the coolant) this only applies if you have some kind of electrical short via the coolant system- that would eat up aluminum. Best of luck
    P.S. I've had my share of lemons and yes the dealers suck and the manufactures do as well because the could care less thats why I'll never buy a Chrysler/Dodge new again unless it was built before me 1972.
  • jmj57jmj57 Member Posts: 3
    Last week a rim on my 2006 Titan broke. The lug nuts and studs stayed in place, but the rim broke. Because the truck was out of warranty (mine had 46K instead of the 36K warranty number), Nissan said I had to pay. They said that rims break. "Sometimes it happens" said the dealer. The regional rep agreed. Any other Nisaan owners have the same issue? Or others have bad customer service issues with Nissan? We currently own 2 Nissans which we bought new that have the same rims..."That sometimes it happens" that the rims break... Good thing mine broke at 10-15 mph and not 60...otherwise I wouldn't be telling you this today.

I'd never buy another Nissan again...

Comments anyone?
    Is that the 17 or 18" rim that you're talking about?
  • jonboyfjonboyf Member Posts: 2
    will the sub amp headunit, and speakers plug in i have a 6 disc changer in my 05 le thanks
    You will need an adapter harness that can be found at BestBuy, Circuit City, etc.