Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Honda CR-V?

Comments

• quaffapintquaffapint Member Posts: 9
    Don't know if anyone already mentioned this - but the 2005 CRV is now on the hondcars official website...

http://www.hondacars.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=CR%2- DV
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    $825 price increase for the auto EX. That seems like a lot for the small increase in equipment.

But, just $1700 more than that for the leather, heated seats,heated mirrors, body colored moldings of the SE.. I predict that will be popular..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    I thought it was only $300 - up from 23,050 for 2004 EX AT. 2005 brings all those things like VSA and side curtain airbags. plus some other things like 16" wheels.
    Those prices didn't include the $515 destination charge... It is $825 for the EX-automatic.. Not totally surprising, but a pretty big jump, considering it is just a refreshening.

(still a good value, overall)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Not too bad of an increase.. Really wasn't thinking about the VSA and the side curtain airbags.. Might be some sticker shock for those that had been considering an '04, though.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My '02 CRV-EX AT had an MSRP of $22,740, so the price has only gone up to $23,865 in THREE years.. Not too bad..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Drilling down..

Looks like the tires are 215/65-16. those will be 0.7" taller than the current 205/70-15. So, it looks like they will fill up the wheel wells a little better... not a big change, but welcome.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• carnovice3carnovice3 Member Posts: 5
    I am disappointed that you can't get an EX with leather in a manual shift. The RAV-4 is available in leather and a manual shift. I am on the fence not only between the two cars, but I decide on the CR-V, whether I'd rather have an EX manual or an SE. Anyone have any suggestions, thoughts, advice? It's all appreciated.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It has been rumored that Honda is considering an EX-L package (EX with leather). The decision would depend on how well the SE trim sells.

I would recommend getting the EX with a stick, then paying for aftermarket leather. It's cheaper than going for the whole SE package, if all you want is the leather. Katskinz makes a set that works with the side airbags.

Anybody else think that Honda should have renamed the SE trim the "Touring" model? That's what they've done with vehicles like the Ody.
    in Europe, designates a wagon..

I think EX-L would have been better, even for the SE edition..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    There were four 2004 CRV's on the lot and NO, zero, none 2005's to be seen. I just happen to see a truck pulling in with a load of the new Odyssey's, but no CRV's

Anyone have any idea when the new CRV's will hit the dealers pavement?

Two year
    Probably November... same as last year and the year before that.
    Probably November

That sucks. I wonder why they have such a consistent late launch date? My lease is up in November and I need to purchase a replacement then. Good luck getting a rock bottom deal on a 2005 that will have been out for a week or two.

Two year
    Well... technically the 2005 models may show on some lots at the end of October. But I'm sure many of those vehicles are already spoken for. My advice would be to get busy and start making arrangements now. You might find a dealer willing to accommodate your situation.

As for why they have consistent launch dates, I cannot answer that. Other than to ask you, why not?
    Varmint writes: I cannot answer that. Other than to ask you, why not?

Touche'
    Yeah, I didn't think that was going to be much help. LOL
  • skycryorskycryor Member Posts: 7
    Well I just got a deal of 2005 CRV Ex for $22060 USD included destination fee in NJ. The out the door price is 24191.42. Is it a good deal? They told me the earliest to get the car is late Oct to early Nov. Can't wait to get it.
    I want to buy my 2005 CRV in November. The day I get it I want to chuck the Bridgestone Duellers and put on Michelin Cross Terrains. Here is the problem, I cant get apples to apples tire size. The 2005 CRV will come equipped with tires sized P215/65 R16. Michelin has a tire sized at P225/75 R16. In a nut shell, what difference do you see between these tires Are they a mile apart, or very similar? Any one want to take a guess if these Michelins will fit with out a problem? Let me tell you once again, the Michelin Cross Terrains are THEE best and quietest SUV tire out there.

Two Year
    The larger size will be taller overall, and will throw your speedometer/odometer readings off.. The tires come with the car... they are "free".. Why not try them out for awhile? I don't know what vehicle you had the Michelins on, but different sizes on different vehicles sometimes behave differently. They may not even be that great on the CR-V (probably will be great, but you never know).

I wouldn't put a non-stock size on a brand new car.

regards,
    kyfdx

EDIT: This is also a new size for the CR-V. These new Duelers (assuming that is what will come on it) may not even have the same tread design as what comes on the '02-'04 models.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx writes: I don't know what vehicle you had the Michelins on, but different sizes on different vehicles sometimes behave differently.

The Cross Terrains are on my Envoy and they are dead quiet, handle like they have metal studs in the winter, and give a plush ride. The ones I have now are down to the wear bars and still ride quieter than the Duellers my friends new 2004 CRV have. Thats the truth. Knowing the difference in size I spoke about before, is there that big of a difference in sizes? It seems minimal to me.

Thanks for your input

Two Year
    1) 2% difference in speedometer reading.

2) I can't say for sure, because I haven't seen them.. But, the Duelers on the current CR-V are different, in almost every way, from the size that is on your Envoy.. It is possible, that the Duelers in the new size will also be completely different than what is on the CR-V now..

3) The Michelins on your Envoy are truck tires.. The size Duelers on the '04 CR-V are passenger car tires.. I don't know if the tires on the '05 CR-V are passenger or truck tires... we'll have to wait and see..

4) We don't know if the new CR-V will have Duelers...

I wouldn't throw away brand new tires without trying them out.. I've had great tires on one car that turned out to be crap on others (just recently).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx writes: I've had great tires on one car that turned out to be crap on others

You make some fine points. The only thing I didn't add was if I were to dump the new OEM tires, I would do so at delivery and sell them then since they are new and they would have some real value.

I appreciate all your help and respect your opinion.

Two year
    Here's a tool for this sort of thing.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If the tire sizes you just posted are correct, you'll have a 8.5% variance on your speedo (probably illegal).

I suspect the tires you are looking for are actually 225/65/R16, not 225/75/R16. If that is the case, you'll have a 1.9% variation (probably okay, but check your state laws.)
    Varmint.. good catch.. I didn't look closely and just assumed 225/65-16..

2year.. if they are indeed 225/75-16, then it is as varmint says.. definitely will not fit.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I picked one up yesterday.

Bob
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I noticed that some parts of the Honda site show that the XM radio is standard on the EX, but when you build and price it, XM radio is an available accessory on the EX, but not on the LX.
    Is that an error on the site? It seems that XM radio should be an available accessory on the LX model if it's standard in the EX.
    I don't see any photos of the LX interior. Is the seat fabric the same on LX and EX?
    Seems like the LX is a great deal if you can live without the moonroof and alloy wheels.
  • xiabellexiabelle Member Posts: 14
    I have a brochure for the 2005, and it looks like there's a slight texture difference in the fabric from the little swatch pictures, but not having seen them in person I can't say for sure. I would assume it's much the same as in the 2004 LXs, which I liked when I drove one recently.

I'm debating between an LX and an EX myself, trying to decide if I really need 4WD (not really, in Houston) and a moonroof (used to them after having a moonroof or ragtop for 15 years) and the alloys.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I think you can get 4WD even if you get an LX and you can always add the upgraded stereo and even rims later, so it looks like just cosmetics (painted bumpers and other trim) and the moonroof are what you really give up.
    If you get the 2WD you get a little better MPG. 29 MPG highway is pretty good with new 5-speed automatic.
    All they standard safety equipment for $20,500 looks like a bargain.
    Actually, painted bumpers are part of the SE package here in the states. Even the EX does not have those.

But I agree with the rest. There are quite a few items which can be added via aftermarket means, rather than pay for the whole EX package. Though if you decide to go for the big ticket options (both rims & moonroof), you might better off with the EX.
  • peachtreecitypeachtreecity Member Posts: 10
    This month's Consumer Reports rates SUV tires based on how quiet they are, dry and wet stopping distance, and handling. The Michelin Cross Terrains are rated considerably lower than the Bridgestone Duelers, although neither is at the top. Also, tire and car manufacturers work together to design a tire for a particular car, and Honda must think that the Dueler is best for the CRV. Further, changing the tire size can be dangerous and would not be recommended by Honda.
    Peachtree writes:The Michelin Cross Terrains are rated considerably lower than the Bridgestone Duelers, although neither is at the top.

Ouch, consumer reports is my purchasing Bible since I do subscribe to it. They are hard to argue with, but I will say this, if you read the reviews on the Tire Rack website which is antectodal in nature, most people spit venom at the Duellers and most people really like the Cross Terrains. Not much of a rebuttal I know but its the best answer I have even though I sound a bit lame.

Two Year
    I wouldn't use CR's testing of SUV tires as a basis on what tires to buy for a CR-V.. They tested a much larger size, designed for a much heavier vehicle (GMC Envoy, I think?).

Most "SUV" tires in the CR-V size, are completely different than what was tested. If looking for tires for a CR-V, you are much better off looking for "touring" sedan tires.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kay1864kay1864 Member Posts: 21
    A friend is considering an LX, 04 or 05 (she heard how much I liked mine). If she decides on 04, will she get a better price now, or after the 05 models come out in November?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    With the significant upgrades added to the '05, I think she should go for the '05, regardless of the discount on the '04. She'll get back the difference in spades in terms of safety, driving pleasure, and future resale.

Besides, even though there will no doubt be bigger than normal discounts on the '04, Honda typically doesn't offer firesale discounts on any model.
    ...and it looks like Canada is not getting the VSA and upgraded RTAWD.
  • totallycewltotallycewl Member Posts: 5
    The new site seems to indicate vsa as standard on all models in Canada

http://www.honda.ca/Honda/Models/CR-V/2005/Specifications.asp?L=E

...unless I'm missing something. Are they not made in the same factory?
    I still don't see it listed. Where on the specs is it listed?
  • gotjgotj Member Posts: 5
    The Honda website has been acting funny since it was updated Oct 7th.
    Initially they gave the specs for the 05 CRV, which does include VSA. However yesterday and today, when you go to specifications, it's giving you the 04 specs for some reason.
    First off, the tires are those god awful Bridgestone Duellers. Hard to tell what the interior fabric was like since it still had the plastic on it from the factory. I didn't stop long since I was looking at it at a dealer called Ontario Honda in upstate New York who screwed me on a used Honda a long time ago. I had to skidadle before a salesman came out to talk to me.

Other wise, this is one fine looking vehicle

Two Year
  • joshofindiajoshofindia Member Posts: 2
  • joshofindiajoshofindia Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for last post.
    I have heard lot about 2003-2004 Honda CRV fire problem. Can any one tell me any news about 2005 model.
    is it good idea to buy new CRV after all those engien problem in last two models.

Joshofindia.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi joshofindia -
    Since the 2005 models are brand new, no one has data on the incidence rate of fires yet. I'd say that if you're very concerned about the issue, then there's no sense buying this vehicle - you'll only worry about it forever.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

honda.ca site now only lists the 5-sp auto as the only change on the '05. No curtain airbags, VSA, or even the 16" wheels. Weird!
  • totallycewltotallycewl Member Posts: 5
    Let's hope they make a better car than web page.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    The CRV fire problem is caused by the Tech removing the oil filter and having the old gasket stick to the block. When replacing with the new filter, there are two gaskets...the leakage is what is causing the fires.
    It's just poor tweaking of the website. Here's a link to a Canadian newspaper giving first impressions of the 2005 model. It lists all the stuff we are getting here in the US.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/L- ayout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1097185809655&call_- pageid=968867497088&col=969048871196
  • xc70vaultxc70vault Member Posts: 4
    silver EX - seems like a nice car. Safety features are impressive. Car was built in Japan.
  • greenie1greenie1 Member Posts: 8
    Test drove an '04 CRV and found it very noisy. Drove my 01 pathfinder over the same road to compare. Does anyone know if the '05 CRV is any better.
    The new 5-sp auto may result in lower rpm, which would mean less noise.
    Honda's Canadian site is bush (not George W.). New model updates are always late. The "Build Your Honda" function is not as detailed as the US site.
This discussion has been closed.