Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg Maintenance and Repair

167891012»

Comments

• qpowerqpower Member Posts: 34
    The stepper motor is a gear reduction drive attached to the transfer case that allows for a differential between the two axles whenever the system requires, such as when you are backing up or turning hard in a low speed situation. Troubles here are clearly manifest if one feels and hears scrubbing of the tires when backing out on a three point turn, for example.

It's pretty unmistakeable!
  • bulldawg7bulldawg7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Toureg V6 that was purchased brand new. The car has 31k miles on it. My wife drives it most of the time... and usually just to and from work and around town.

Last oil change/tire rotation (about a month ago) we asked about the brakes. No real problems, but seemed like it was about time to get the pads replaced. The dealership told us the pad needed replacing soon, but wasn't urgent. Suggested we do it next oil change. On Monday of this week, the "service now" light indicating brake pad issues came on. We called to make an appointment and brought it in today.

The VW service agent comes back and tells my wife she needs 4 new pads and 4 new rotors at a charge of about $1600.00

How is this even freaking possible? There is no squeaking or grinding sound when braking and never has been. Dealership tells us the vehicle is so heavy that its "normal" to have to replace rotors everytime pads are replaced. WTF? Sounds like a scam to me..

Anyone had this problem? What did you do? Second opinion?
    You need to clear your head and learn some more about your world-class brake system... no tongue in cheek here either.

You have two choices: have the dealer do it or do it yourself / buy the right parts and subcontract the labor. It is relatively easy work.

Please see the following thread at ClubTouareg.com : http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f90/aftermarket-f-r-rotors-pads-hardware-and-s- ensors-now-11903.html

After you have read thru this post well, then call the company involved and ask all the questions you need to ask. And be prepared to save $600-800 dollars.
  • txcalitxcali Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Touareg, purchased new. We have lived in the same area for the last 6 years, no towing, no off road, driving consists of school, errands, home, work, summer vacations. After we had the veh. for five years both sets of break pads needed replacing. Since then, according to the VW service dept., the fronts have needed to be replaced two more times and the second set for the back are being installed right now. We are usually told before the sensor comes on, we don't have them replaced until the sensor indicates which usually is months if not half a year after they tell us they need replacing. Any idea if something else is going on to wear them down. Guarantee our driving habits have not altered, nor terrain. We're pretty boring Touareg owners!
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    you tried to sound like an expert on this car and yet you do not even know this car is called a "Tou-ar-eg" and not a "Tou-a-reg"... very sad indeed.

no no no on "t reg"
  • touaregpaintouaregpain Member Posts: 1
    I just read you posting re. fan running after shutdown.
    My '05 Touareg V6 does the same thing. The dealer said they need to change out a temp. sensor switch.
    I held off having that done since I had two other problems with he car and the estimate was over $ 1,500.
    I could still drive it but then 3 more problems cropped up and the estimate is now ??
    The car sits until I can afford to have it fixed. It has 107,000 mi on it and way too much trouble for that many miles. I have an older Infinity Q45 with 220,000 and it is what I drive..no problems there!
  • miichelliemiichellie Member Posts: 1
    Hello!

I recently had to get my Touareg jumped (It's a 2005 v8; just bought it used) and I was prompted to enter a pin to unlock my radio/cd system. Did that, but I still don't have audio. It displays radio stations and cd's but nothing is playing. Turned the volume knob up; no static or feedback, just silence. Anyone know what could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

PS I don't want to take it back to where I bought it... Service was horrendous and made me pay for a repair even though it was still under warranty! Just need to know where to look for the problem so I can give my friend as much info as possible!
  • altongary1altongary1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2005 Touareg the AC started out by making a noise , quit blowing air at a decreased rate and then over the course of a week or two worked fine then just quit. Did you find out what was wrong with yours ? My neighboor is a certified mechanic took a quick look at the fan motor said it was OK. Just wondering if you had any helpful info. before I took it to the dealer and spend $$$$$. Would appreciate any help. Live in Fl. NEED my AC this time of year.
    Thanks!!
  • dac10dac10 Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace the plastic lower front grille on a 2011 Touareg TDI (believe it or not, I collided with a roadrunner that was dashing across a freeway). I have the replacement grille and there are tabs all around the edge indicating that the grille just snaps into place. However, I have not figured out how to remove the old grille without destroying it. Is there a process for removing the old grille, such as certain snap tabs that need to be released first?

Thanks!
  • crezzlin1crezzlin1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, a mate was doing a part-ex with me for his Touuareg, but on his way to deliver it the car has found a fault, it feels like your driving over cats eyes with the sound of a flat tyre coming from the rear, ive checked the tyers and rocked the wheel with no problem, it's ok at low speed but starts at say 20mph with any stress on the engine like hills, Any ideas before it goes to a garage next week.. Thanks
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    hissing noise tends to indicate a vacuum leak .

weirdness/rough-running with any stress on the engine like above 20 mph can indicate the common failure of: catalytic converter clogged.
    (hissing could be from exhaust escaping before the clogged converter.)
  • hfogartyhfogarty Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have just purchased an 05 touareg auto diesel the gear change is very good but when i select sport mode or slide the shifter across for manual mode there is no change. Also the parking sensors dont work someone has told me it could be the gear stick having an electrical fault can anyone help

Thanks
  • kwood24kwood24 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Tourage -

You name it I have had it. From the Fan motor going out for the heater/air conditioning to the TPM's all needing to be replaced. To the 2-3 second lag time when accelerating at low speeds, then when the drive train finally re-enagaged there was a clunk or thunk in the transmission. It is is currently in the transmission shop getting an entire rebuild build to the tune of another $5500.00 out the window. The only help the dealership would offer was for a brand new transmission at $7500.00 to replace a faulty transmission that came from factory.

Plus it goes thru brake pads like they are candy. The high cost of maintenance and all the quality issues out weigh any pro's about the vehicle or the manufacture.

If you are smart... you will run and count your blessings every day that you made the decision not to purchase a VW.
    Wow! OMG!

If you only knew whereof you spoke!

:-)

I've spoken or written the word "Touareg" THOUSANDS of times as I've been professionally involved in the sale of over 2,300 sets of brake parts for this chassis and its stablemates. My use of the expression "T reg" is a pet name, and is my right, along with the self-styled rights of thousands of other enthusiasts who don't get exercised over the many fun ways to butcher the word...

I prefer Toe Rag... it's much more evocative! I imagine my big toe wrapped in a loose fitting, unkempt, dirty bandage! :P

Enjoy whichever way you want to say it, as long as you know the correct spelling and pronunciation of the word.

I do...
  • mpthewizardmpthewizard Member Posts: 1
    This just happened to my 2006 v8 this past Sunday. Just took it in today not sure the problem. What did they tell your problem was and how much was it?
  • rasekhrasekh Member Posts: 1

2012 Touareg TDI I've problem with my hands free phone and people that I talk with keep telling me they do not understand what I'm saying. Almost always I've to take it out of hands free to be able to talk on the phone. Any one has this problem? How to fix that? Thanks