Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 Ford Ranger/XLT and 2003 Ford Ranger/Edge

eji1928eji1928 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Ford
I owned a 2003 Ranger XLT. The engine revved at times up to 4,000 RPM, with the brake fully engaged, difficult to stop. Had several scary experiences on wet pavemant.
Could not be duplicated by 2 dealers. Declared unsafe by DSB. Finally replaced by Ford Motor Co. on Friday Jan. 16 with a 2003 Ranger Edge, had 199 miles. On Jan. 20 at 225 miles, same thing happened. Had a minor rear ender, not serious. Engine revved to 4,000 RPM, did not stop
with brakes engaged.
I do not own this vehicle, they got me out of the XLT. No papers signed as yet for transfer to my name.
My question: Anyone had any similar experience with 2003 Ranger?
Of course, I'm told they never heard of this before.
Note: It's my understanding that Ford will tear down the returned vehicle, try to learn the problem.

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I've never heard of an 'unexpected acceleration' attributed to a Ranger. And I read several Ranger sites' message boards.

What is "Declared unsafe by DSB." What's "DSB".

My 2cents - The only unexpected acceleration I've personally seen, and what I bet cover 99.99percent of them - the driver has floor mats in the car, and it is pushed up by the drivers feet and folds up over the accelerator pedal. This opens the throttle, even when you move your foot off it.

Did you have floor mats in these trucks? Especially an old, floppy set you moved from your previous vehicle??????? If so, I bet this is the cause.

And/or - if the 1928 in your id indicates the year of your birth, this makes you 76 years old. You might consider your age, and if you are this old, consider if you might have been pushing on the accelerator when you 'thought' you were pushing on the brake.
  • eji1928eji1928 Member Posts: 5
    Bolivar,

DSB, Ford Dispute Settlement Board.
    There is no problem with my age. I'm fit & able.
    I have dozens of incidents filed, (1" thick), with Ford, on the XLT returned. Once with cruise on at 70mph, went to 80+, once at full stop, brake engaged, prevented rearender, shifted to neutral, engine still revving. Once skidded through intersection on wet pavement, all w/brake fully engaged. Just a few.
    If it was me on the accelerator, I would have been inside many a trunk.
    If it was me in the new one, (first impact ever), I would have destroyed both, at 4,000 RPM. The fully engaged brake prevented it. Moved very slowly about 6 ft. or more. Just did not drop to idle.
    Not a mat problem.

I understand that these are equipped with an automatic, additional injection of fuel when engine is first started, in order to warm engine.
    I just learned that from a Ford employee.
    Anything can malfunction.
    I've driven close to 1,000,000 miles. 18 or so vehicles, 2 Motor homes. Never one accident. This incident created no damage.
    I understand the doubts, but at 4,000 RPM, only awareness and full brake prevented several accidents. Along with luck, no cross traffic at times. Every incident, with brake engaged. Always dropped to idle in in a few seconds.
    Puzzleing to be sure.
    I was told it could be harness, computer, etc.
    I'm in a rental now, mentioned this to the rental agent, He told me that he had this happen in a Honda. Strange. Mazda makes the Ranger engine, I understand.
    They are essentially the same vehicle, except for some interior and exterior trim... Ford owns some large percent of Mazda.

I don't know where the new (2001 and later OHC) 4L is built. The old (2000 and earlier OHV) 4L was built in Germany, which I always assumed was some kind of Ford owned plant. I have no idea about the 3L or the old and new 4 cylinder motors.

Have you looked at the government site, www.nhtsa.dot.gov , and all the recalls and consumer complaints for 2003 Rangers? If not, you should, and you should also go through the procedures to get your complain listed on this database.

In your dispute with Ford, did you ever involve the NHTSA (Nat Highway Transportation Savety Agency)?

And, if you got a new Truck from Ford, and within a couple of hundred miles it also experienced 'unintended acceleration', I would think you could own any vehicle you wish from Ford, up to and including a Jaguar.... For absolutely no additional money...
    I just looked at this government safety site.

There are no 'recalls' for 2003 Rangers.
    There are no 'consumer complaints' for 2003 Rangers.
    (For my 1994 Ranger, there are 2 or 3 recalls and over a hundred or two consumer complaints, if I remember correctly.)

I'm not a mechanic. But I think when a fuel injected engine is doing a 'cold start', the fuel injecters are open longer, possibly twice as long as compared to normal. This injectes additional gasoline, giving a richer mixture. This is fuel injection's way of getting a rich mixture for starting. A carborator choke closes off part of the air flow to get a rich mixture.

I doubt a failure into a 'cold start' injection mode would cause an increase to 4,000 rpm, it would probably cause a rough idle, smoke, and the motor might die.

Was the 'check engine' light ever lit in any of the unintended acceleration eposides????
    Boliver,

No warning lights ever came on.
    The XLT, these were both 6 Cyl., started this between 1500 and 2000 miles. I had no idea what was happening, I took it in at 2995 miles.
    That was in Feb. 2003, took until Nov. to get to arbitration and a decision. I became pretty upset when it happend Dec. 31, demamnded to get out of it. The new 2003, Edge, was made as a settlement, with more equipment. It was never put in my name, delay of paper work. It belongs to the dealer. At this point, I am too "paranoid" about a Ranger, although I've always heard good things about them.
    I'm considering an F-150 if Ford will do what's right. Working on it.
    Thanks for replies.
  • mysterious1mysterious1 Member Posts: 7
    eji1928, do you 'brake' with your left foot?
    mysterious1

Never.
    I don't know how people drive that way.
    If I did, ya think it would happen in other autos?
    To repeat myself.....If I were on the accelerator,
    I would have been in many a trunk.
    These two autos revved like it was in park and accelerator was floored.
    Don't ya hate it when someone is driving and their brake light is on constantly? Left foot on brake!
  • mysterious1mysterious1 Member Posts: 7
    eji1928 Yes! I do hate it when people ride their brakes with their left foot!
    I must say your revving engine is an odd (and dangerous) one. It seems highly unusual that you would have the same problem with TWO vehicals.
    I remember a few years ago Audi had a similar problem with their cars accelerating without warning, however I don't recall what the cause was.
    mysterious1

Owned a 1978 Audi. Never heard of that problem.
    But that Audi purred.....when it wasn't in the shop. Junk at 36,000 miles.
    This was before extended warranties.
    I paid $9,800. Spent near $3,000+ in repairs after warranty. Needed $1,000 in repairs when I got rid of it, little more than 2 years old. Catalytic Converters shot. I didn't fight it, too expensive to maintain.

The two best autos I ever owned were both Ford Aerostars.

You know, the Ranger Edge I mentioned, it had 199 miles on it when I drove out, I had the incident in 26 miles that I drove. I may not have mentioned that after I eased into the other auto, after shifting into Park and exited, it was still revving a few more seconds.
    I have the feeling that Ford thinks I'm a kook. I gave them a written statement but doubt if they take it off the market. I'm sure there are no reports on that particular truck. My old one has 10 records, on the internet. There were more.
    Of course, I found the only two on the planet with that problem. Someone asked if I had contacted NHTSA. YEP, the first few incidents in 2003. Never had a reply.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    I've had my 2002 Ranger for almost two years and 25K miles. Never encountered ANY type of over-revving condition.

The "Check Engine" light came on last week and the dealer replaced some sort of EGR valve under warranty. That's the ONLY problem that has arisen. It does have a few squeaks & rattles though.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Eji1928:

___Your brand new 03 Ranger XLT’s brakes should easily overcome the engine irregardless if you believe the engine was over-revving or not. Secondly, were you born in 1928? Just because you were accident free for the last 1,000,000 miles doesn’t preclude age from having an effect on any of our almost automatic reactions or our usually safe and highly honed driving skills. It was one thing to say one Ranger has a problem similar to yours but two different Rangers? There are already millions of miles driven in the 03 Ranger and I have never heard of this happening with any one vehicle let alone 2 by the same driver? Even the rich mixture at initial start doesn’t fly … Every car I own does this when just stated and warming up. Afterwards, they settle in to the 750 – 900 RPM range normal idle.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I'm not saying that the problems with the Ranger are your fault, but after Audi's reputation was trashed by 60 minutes due to the "unintended acceleration" fiasco, it was later proved to be driver error associated with drivers hitting the wrong pedal.
This discussion has been closed.