Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I've heard some rumours about a 2004 Camry facelift, well in Australia anyway.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,8471556%255E2- 1822,00.html

look under toyota. Does anyone know what changes might be made and what it might look like?

Comments

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    The 2005 Camry with the facelift will arrive in the US in August/September. Sorry, don't know about Australia.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    maybe toyota australia will finally get something new before other countries. I would think that it would be similar to the US one so please share :)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Host, can we rename this thread 2005 Camry facelift, so not as to mis-inform people? Along with the face lift, I think its fair to expect some tweaking of the 4 cylinder and some standard/optional equipment revisions. I'd like to see 16 inch wheels standard, as well as ABS, personally.

~alpha
    think it might look like the indonesian camry?

http://www.toyota.astra.co.id/car/toyota_car.asp?model=Camry
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Maybe. It does look pretty good though. Classy in a sort of way.
    i reckon it kidna loses its sportiness if it goes for the more classy approach
    well, i think this may well be the next one, seing that the vietnamese one is also styled like that. I remember checking the vietnamese site for the camry that the US/AUS have now and they had the same one. So I guess this is probably the next one or something like it.

http://www.toyotavn.com.vn/concept/product/camry/index.html
    protest that front grille, I hope to God that the 2005 Camry is not fitted with that. I don't know- the taillights may be even worse... the extra lenses/reflectors look like major afterthoughts. We will NOT be in a Toyota showroom when our 2002 Corolla lease expires this October if the Camry is restyled along those lines.

~alpha
  • canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    I am quite like the new grill. Not sure about additional tailights, since the current taillights are quite big already!
    I'd think that the front grille may differ from country to country. If not, Toyota should still offer an alternative grille, i.e. Sports grille
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I think this is a current version of the Camry in many Asian markets. I have an '03 Camry SE. I have no problem with the front grill. Maybe they can put the Toyota logo in the middle of the grill. I think it will look better when the put a red tail light reflector (above the back up lights) to close up the trunk area.

For me, I like the ABS and 16" wheels & tires (with optional alloys), foldable side mirrors all models. I don't know other models. But my SE has no courtesy lights on all doors. It would be nice to have them.
    I dont think its the "Asian" version. I've looked around the Toyota sites from all around the world just to see if maybe i could find a different model. It seems that only Vietnam and Indonesia have this model. A few months ago, I checked those sites and they had the same model of Camry that we have.
  • jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    I own an '02 SE and have seen the '05 in LE form. I like everything but the taillights. The front looks nice. However I do like the '02-'04 SE fog lights a bit better, they mirror the shape of the headlights. But, I do like the new headlights a bit better than the old style. The gauges are very cool, and the new center console is great, along with the third headrest in the back. They did a nice job with the update, I don't think there is anything that is so drastic that I would want to trade mine.
  • carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    The one thing I would most want in the new Camry is steering wheel radio controls instead of the useless computer nonsense on XLE models now. It would be safer to have the radio controls than to have to take your eyes off the road to change stations or use the volume control. To view the computer nonsense you of course must take your eyes off the road.
    I have an '03 Camry SE. Is there a steering wheel audio control on any Carmy model from '02 to '04? Or on any Toyota vehicle except Lexus? It will be great to get one. My SE also has no courtesy light on doors. What about other models? Plus, they need to some illuminated power door and window switches.
    Steering wheel audio: No. But this may be rectified on the 05 Camry restyling, as all of Toyotas more newly designed wheels incorporate this useful feature (For example, the RAV4, Solara, and Sienna all have steering wheel audio controls available). I'd also expect a telescopic steering wheel will be made available in the 2005 model, for the same reason.

Courtesy lights on doors seem like an American car thing. Its bad enough the Camry now allows you to open the front doors when they are locked. My personal preference is that we not go too far. I could care less about courtesy lighting on doors.

I agree that all the power window and lock buttons should be illuminated- but arent the drivers window switch and central lock button already illuminated.

lok8888- some very good ideas for easy changes. Perhaps Toyota will pay attention to boards like this. Thanks for the post!

~alpha
  • canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    I would like to see the fob could control all windows "down". This feature would be useful during hot summer.
  • mstred12mstred12 Member Posts: 1
    I have test driven a toyota xle ,ls galant and a xg350 hyundai. I like all of these vehicles. I am not sure which way to go. Any thoughts or comments towards any of these vehicles?
    Yes. But only for the driver power window switch. I can only see the switch with lime green light (also very dim) on and with AUTO word on it. I have to turn on the map light to see the switches in a dark parking lot. Yes. It is about personal preference. I like the doors will automatically lock on my SE (probably all models) when engage out of the park mode. My '04 Sienna also unlock doors when shift to "Park" automatically, in default mode. This seems less security for some but it can be re-programed. Toyota also needs to pay close attention to the power steering wheel. It is very light at highway speed. The steering wheels are light on my Camry and Sienna.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    The best way to get comments on each of these vehicles is by talking to other owners. Just use the make/model drop-down menus at the left to locate active discussion on each of these cars.

This discussion is more about the future of the Camry than about existing models.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

For what its worth, I think its reasonable to expect that VSC may find its way on to the options sheet for 4 cylinder Camrys next year.

~alpha
    yeah, i heard that the next one might not look like what i first suspected. Since those countries dont have the Avalon to be their more "prestigious" car, theyve made the camry into one.
  • nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    From my understanding the Avalon will be redesigned for the 05 year. I was told that it may look close to the LS430. The interior of the Avalon in my opinion looks much more luxurious than in the Camry.
    yeah, but in those certain countries the avalon isnt available so Toyota probably needs a luxury car for those areas, ie Camry
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    i read somewhere that toyota originally wanted to give the camry a name that was evocatively "handsome and attractive", just as the accord reassuringly means "peace and harmony", so toyota decided on a form of the english word "comely", which means, of course, handsome and attractive.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I'm pretty sure that the word Camry comes from the pronunciation of the Japanese word for crown, which in English, sounds like kamuri.

It's odd that Toyota sells varieties of the Crown sedan and used to sell the Corona, which is Spanish for crown, as well.
    yeah, it comes from the japanese word Kamuri, meaning "little crown" i think
    Props. Thats some interesting trivia on Toyota nomenclature!

~alpha
  • 96accord96accord Member Posts: 20
    I think Toyota needs to redesign the interior and make the interior and guage cluster more appealing as currently the the styling is too bland. ABS should be standard on all models and something like the electrically folding in side view mirrors should be made standard just like they are for asian models. 5 speed automatics for 4 cyl and please offer better OE tires for the LE's. Toyota should definitely try and adopt a strategy to lead rather than follow in options and standard equipment list especially for the high volume LE segment. I talking about offering new equipment first rather than playing catch up with the competition(5 SP AT,ABS ETC).

Rgds

Ash
    That said, I dont really think the Camry dash is that bad. True its vanilla in flavor, but its well made, ergonomic. I like the guage cluster and soft bluish night lighting on LE/XLE. With regards to safety equip, while not likely standard, it DOES seem as though Toyota will lead with Vehicle Stability Control in comparison to competitors- its available right now on ALL V6s, and expected for 2005 to be available on 4 cyls. as well. Honda and Nissan (the two biggies) dont even offer it. ABS should be standard- certainly agreed. If you look at the Solaras equipment list, it has several features standard that are options on Camrys, so if Toyota can add those features to smaller volume car, why can't they do it for the Camry? Interestingly, the Solara also has a lower MSRP.

~alpha
    bad news is that toyota is thinking of cutting the production of V6 Camrys and making them only 4 cylinders. They think that offering the Avalon as the only V6 could be good.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    In fact it could be quite the contrary. The 05 Altima will boast a 250 Hp engine, the Accord V6 produce about 240 Hp. Toyota could actually increase Camry's horspower to 230 to 240 for V6 versions. True V6 Camrys only account for 20% of all Camrys sold. But it still translates to almost 90,000 cars a year. I doubt Toyota will concede this market so easily.
    toyota could remedy their power shortcoming relative to the accord by maintaining the current 230hp and simply boosting torque, since honda's V6 produces much less torque than horsepower. this would make the camry feel faster off the line and in everyday driving situations where it's needed most. hp ratings are just for bragging rights on paper.

take for example the BMW 3 series. one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed versions in europe is the diesel engine-powered 3, not for its meagre hp output, but because of its enormous torque--i believe over 280 ft lbs!
    it's verrry quick.
    one thing they could improve on is increase the engine power or get a better V6 down here in aus to compete against those V8s :/
    you're lucky down under to get so many cool V8 powered cars! i wish GM would just bring over cars like those in the Holden line-up intact. the post-op front end and body of the pontiac GTO looked much better as a monaro in my opinion.
    i like the monaro better ;)

yeah, australia is the land of the V8 supercars, gets annoying that no other brands like toyota/mitsubish can really match their performance. They ought to bring the lexus V8 down here as well.

It would be nice if the next camry had the 3.3L engine with 5 sp auto that the US has down here.
    I apologize if I'm not reading your post correctly, but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

The Camry 3.3L V6 produces 225hp and 240 lb. ft. at 3600RPM. This is already a substantial 28 foot pound advantage over the Accord 3.0L V6, and this engine, acccording to Car and Driver, has producecd sub-7 second runs to 60 in the Solara (a hair better than the Accord). I think adding more torque to this engine would be playing with fire, as it seems that vehicles whose engines put torque to the pavement exclusively via the front wheels have significant torque steer issues when ratings rise above the 240ish lb. ft. threshold. Witness the 249lb. ft. Altima, for example.

Did you mean Toyota should add more torque to the 3.0L 210hp V6 that is used in the LE and XLE?

~alpha
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Isn't the Mitsubishi Evo available down under? I know it is being offered in the UK. That car can give the Holden Monaro a run for its money. The Vvti V6 in the Camry is only available for North America. You are right though - Australia a land of wide open space deserves the more potent 3.3L 225 Hp V6 found on the SE model of the Camry.
    yes, i was referring to the 2995cc powerplant. i was thinking a 5 ft/lbs bump in torque could give the V6 midlevel camry that little extra edge over the accord at that price point. not a big deal though. i agree, the toyota V6s are excellent engines, well matched to the chassis of the car.
    yes, those V6's are nice engines, but we need some more "oomph" in our engines down here to compete in the large car performance sector :p

The Evo is available down here, but i'm talking big V8s. Somehow, their images just arent the same
    and... if you had a look at our engines down here, we still have the 1MZ-FE, and the 3MZ-FE (i think thats the US camry engine) in our Kluger (aussie Highlander)
  • ariesvirgoariesvirgo Member Posts: 4
    I wonder if this is going to be the new '05 Camry:

http://www.toyota.com.tw/vehicle/camry/camry_index.shtm

If so, I am going to trade-in my '03 Accord EXL for one of those.
    yeah, I posted one of those links before. It may be possible that it might be the '05 Camry. But many have thought that it is possible that they don't have the Avalon in countries like Taiwan, so they need a higher class car there, i.e. Camry. So they're probably making it more "upper" class in design and all.
    that's a sweet looking camry if that's what it be. look pretty upscale with the chrome bits and judging from the upsweep rear edge of the rear door, it shore look like a camry to these eyes!
    It is a better looking Carmy. As the 2004 model already came out, I think this may be the 2005 facelift with some cosmetic change. It is pretty much like what they did on '00 and '01 model of the previous generation of Camry. And I assume the next Camry (2007) will be here in late 2006. Yes. Most Camry buyers are in management and executive positions in Asian countries. It is well too expensive to get Lexus.
    in certain countries, lexus are still badged as toyotas
    Maybe I am wrong. I guess Japan is the only country without Lexus.
    Yes, but all Lexus' are badged as toyotas over there, so they still have that level of luxury
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Toyota will soon have vehicles with Lexus badges in Japan (model year 2006 I believe).
    usually we might be able to look at the Lexus ES for the next camry, but there hasnt been any hints of what the next Lexus ES is going to look like.
This discussion has been closed.