Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New 2005 Altima: Interior and other info

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Refinement.

Has some of the best handling in this class. Mazda6 is the only car that really beats it handling wise.

Has the best interior in the class.

Has the most features and the lowest price compared to most of the competition.

Has the highest resale value in the class.
    I haven't used the True Cost feature yet. I didn't even think about using it as a matter of fact.

However, I will use it tonight. The Passat is one of the most beautiful cars on the road (though it is getting long in the tooth) but for what VW wants to charge me, it isn't that great of a value.

Also, it lacks many convenience features..(CD changer, power driver's seat on GLS models, etc.)

The Accord, Mazda6 and Altima continue to dominate my list, though I want to see what all the Altima SE-R talk is all about.

I have a feeling that the SE-R will be too expensive anyway. Don't get me started on insurance costs.

I am going to probably end up with an Altima....S or SE...
    I went out tonight and I looked at all the cars again, and even though the Altima cost the most, that is the car I am going to get.

I spent so much time look over those cars tonight. It almost didn't make sense.

For the sake of keeping a decent budget,I am going for the S with Premium Convenience pkg. and ABS/SAB/SAC pkg. with the 5spd manual.

I enjoyed looking at the Accord as well, but it just doesn't do it for me.

The Mazda6 is nice as well, but that body kit is just a bit too much IMO.

I like the Altima for it's conservative, yet sporty looks.

The interior is great as well, better than the Mazda6, but a little less refined and techy compared to the Accord.

A nice trade-off IMO.
  • jumpnjoejumpnjoe Member Posts: 34
    I hope you like your Altima. I was making the same decision. The Mazda lost out because it is a little smaller (and i'm a little bigger) although I easily liked its exterior the best and it handled well. I was going for the V6 either way. For me, it came down to price and options. The Altima was fun to drive, but so wasn't the Accord. Both are very fast. I test drove the Accord just to eliminate it and couldn't beleive I could get 6 disc changer, sunroof, XM radio, ABS, Traction control, side airbags, leather for a $1,000 more than the base Altima V6. 3.9 financing didn't hurt either. I'm going with the Accord and will add the spoiler and fog lights and still be much less than a Altima with either the sport package or leather package never mind both. The Accord was still a lot of fun to drive and quite honestly don't think I would ever get to use the 20 extra horses in the Altima. I think I'd be happy with either (especially compared to my 95 Saturn). I take delivery Friday. Can't wait.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I noticed while looking at a couple of '05 3.5 Altimas that the EPA highway number is significantly improved. 29 on the Nissan web site, but I thought I saw 30 on the window stickers.

In either case, that's pretty impressive. Lemme see 29 MPG times 20 gallons = 580 miles range (less a few miles, to insure against walking or pushing it to the nearest gas station . . .)

Cheers,
    - Ray
    If it was not FWD . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    i agree about your price point. honda does something there that neither toyota nor nissan do. i sold hondas for 2 years, and nissans now. even now, if i were in the market for a v6, i think the accord would be the one to go with for me. in 4-cyl. trim, im partial to the altima.
    The in V6 form, the Accord is the BEST sedan in the class. Bar none.

In 4 cylinder form, it depends. The Accord EX with cloth lacks a few features (power driver's seat) that the Altima and Camry have either optional or standard.

However, when you equipt the EX with the leather, you get all kinds of features (dual-zone climate control, power driver's seat, XM radio, etc.) and that. The EX-L is a GREAT value.

But in all honesty, all trim levels of the Accord or a great value, including the low-selling LXV6.

I just can't get over how much better the Altima looks than the Accord, that is why I have to get the Altima.

The MPG on the stickers of all the 3.5 models I saw lately show gas mileage as 20/30 for automatic models. 19/27 for the 5spd. manual.
    I agree with you Max, if I was choosing by exteriors, I like the Altima better too. Both me and my friends will see the car more from the inside and there the accord easily wins.

However, I may be asking this car to last me for a while and the Altima's distinctive styling may not age as well as the Accord's more conservative look.

They are both great cars. Enjoy your Altima. When are you getting it?
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Although I plan to get an Accord EX-V6 soon, I hate the shift area, which looks like what a econonbox from the 80's had. The shift area of the Altima 3.5SL is leagues ahead of the Accord, both in looks and quality.
  • carpeoplecarpeople Member Posts: 36
    I actually like the I-4 Accord better than I-4 Altima, and V6 Alti over V6 Accord. Two major reasons;

Honda's I-4 is more refined than the Alti's
    5spd compared to 4spd auto, not to mention how much I like Honda's 5spd auto.

But when you go to V6, Altima just does it for me.
    I couldn't agree more about the shift area on the accord. It reminds me a lot of the 95 Saturn that I traded in. It is the only thing I don't love about my new car. You'll love it. Probably would love the Altima too, but the options get a lot more expensive.
    I was supposed to have gone to Atlanta last Sunday and talked with a salesmen but my mother was not able to go so we decided to wait until today and go up to Crown Nissan in Greenville, SC.

I went to Atlanta by myself last weekend to the autoshow. It was fun.

I have been dealing with great salepeople over at Crown Nissan in Greenville and Team Nissan of Lithia Springs, GA, so it is down to those two dealerships.

Atlanta is a good three hours from my house, while Greenville is about one hour away so I probably will end up dealing with Crown.

Currently Crown Nissan has two 3.5 models on there lot. A Coral Sand 3.5SE with Leather Sport and a Polished Pewter 3.5SL. Neither has the Side airbags that I want so I am not taking either one, and I also want a stick shift so that leaves the SE models and I have to order it. I plan to do all of this today.

My mother wants me to get the car ASAP, but I don't want to settle on a car that doesn't have all the features I want, especially the safety features that I want.

I am going to Clemson University in the fall and I need a car that is going to be safe, reliable and fun. My only problem is that Nissan refuses to make safety equipment standard and then has the nerve to make it hard to find.

There are NO Side airbag model SEs in this area.

What is funny is that I went by a Honda dealership in my area, and they have an Accord EX-l with 5spd manual sedan. Tempting......

If things don't work out with the Altima, I will just go ahead and get the Accord that I saw.

If I get the Altima, I plan to get the Charcoal interior (I don't like the blond interior as much).

Exterior colors of choice include:

Smoke: Charcoal
    Polished Pewter: Charcoal
    Coral Sand: Charcoal
    Majestic Blue: Charcoal

I hope today turns out to be a great day.

Also, I was using Nissan's dealer inventory website and I found several SE 5spd Altimas, most were basic with no options, but I did find one SE in Worthington, OH with the Leather Sport Pkg. and ABS, but it is black on black and I don't want a black car. If only it was Smoke.....
    Good luck today. Definately wait for what you want. What's a month, compared to 3-5-10 years of owning the car and regretting not getting what you wanted. It me about a month to figure out exactly what I wanted and then about 3 weeks to negotiate/find it. People laughed because I didn't take one of the ones on the lot (I liked the blue better than silver or graphite because you see less of them) and when I saw the car, I was definately happy I waited. Where I went, waiting didn't affect the price. I don't know if you have as much leverage if you pre-order, maybe if you play dealers off each other. If it was going to cost me money, I probably would have gone with one of my second choices for color, although not so much for options that are important to me. The safety items are important on a college campus, especially with all the back roads around Clemson which encourage fast driving with surprises around the curves. If I had gone with the Altima, I definatly would have gotten the charcoal interior and either the blue or the smoke although the pewter isn't bad either. Both blue and smoke probably requires more frequent washing though.

Congrats on Clemson. I am going there online for my masters (I live in MA).
    my reasons are not mechanical...i like the accord v6 better because its almost $3000 less. the 4-cyl. are about the same, with the altima having 15 more HP and torque.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Exclusive features of Altima 3.5SL w/ TCS and Side Airbags vs. Accord EX V6:
    Manual shift mode Auto transmission
    Xenon headlights
    Fog lights
    Auto up-down passenger window
    Auto on-off headlights
    Heated outside mirrors
    Heated passenger seatback (only seat bottom in Accord)
    Auto-dimming rearview mirror
    Leather shift knob
    Split fold-down rear seat (one-piece in Accord)

Exclusive features of Accord EX V6 vs. Altima 3.5SL w/ TCS and Side Airbags:
    Dual temperature control (single in Altima)
    Leather door inserts (simulated leather in Altima)
    Floor mats
    XM radio

Altima 3.5SL w/ TCS and Side Airbags: $28,260
    Accord EX V6: $26,890

The MSRP difference is $1400, but I can see how the street price difference is close to $3000. Hopefully, the street prices of the 2005 Altima will drop soon.

Good luck w/ your car buying, maxamillion!
    i sell altimas, so im not coming down on them, but some of the features you put in there are optional. compare invoice to invoice, since that is closer to real world transaction prices. you get more like $2500 difference there.
    ...has a power passenger's seat.
    Well today started out great, but quickly turned for the worse.

I went up to Crown Nissan first.
    First off, the salesmen I dealt with initially was not available because he had another customer.

So I dealt with a different salesmen who I didn't know as well. First off, he would NOT let me drive the car (the other salesmen would) and my mother was surprised by this. The SE model that was there earlier was no longer there and they only had S and SL models. The guy dragged us to the back of the lot and gave me some kind of speech about the 05s being "05s" and how they would bring sticker price. I told him to shove it, and to let me go. Then he decided he could do $500 over invoice, which I thought was pretty fair. We got back to the dealership and he started going on and on about a "CCP" fee. Basically the fee is $599 and all it does is detail my car twice a year for three years.

He claims that ALL cars sold have this fee added.

Now I have a cousin who details, he could easily detail my car for about $20 (What he charges me) So basically, they wanted to add a fee to my car that would charge me $100 for a damn car wash. I left right then and there. I told him that I would come back on Monday and deal with the other salesperson. I am going to call them Monday before I go to college and if the salesmen I originally dealt with doesn't come off on that fee, I am going to deal with other dealers.

I have PLENTY of time. Heck, I have been doing research for years on these cars, and I REFUSE to pay for such a CRAZY fee.

He shaked my hand and said "You are shaking the hand of a man who can sell any car for MSRP."

I then replied "And you are shaking the hand of a man who will NEVER pay MSRP for a car"

I then left. I think the man used my age to try to intimidate me. It didn't work.

Now the Honda experience was completely different. The salesmen was laid back and he actually allowed my mother and I to drive the Accord around town by ourselves. My mother, who is a big time Honda fan even agreed that the Altima looked better, but I tried to be economical and use the value equation on her to no avail.

Anyway, the Accord has an excellent ride and a wonderful interior. I drove around in an Accord EXV6 for at least thirty minutes.

I still want the Altima more, but the dealer network at Nissan is sorry.... awfully sorry.
    I can relate to your experience. Some salesmen are just pains. If the Altima is what you like, e-mail their internet sales manager to negotiate the price. A lot less hassle there. If they know that you are shopping around by the net, they know it is easier for you to get the best price and will give you a good deal sooner-also, your age won't be apparent, not that it should matter, but perception always does. If it's possible to go for a test drive during the week, the salespeople may not be as busy and more likely to let you drive the car. Also, if he refuses, ask to see the manager. They can't refuse a test drive based on age or because they would rather get rid of the 2004's. You may want to call the manager ahead of time and tell him that one of his sales people almost lost a sale and you want an appointment for a test drive with a decent salesperson. Once you know you like it, then finalize your prices over the net. Keep standing up for yourself.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    Don't paint such a broad stroke about dealer networks based on experience at a couple of dealers. When my lease was coming up last year on my 99 Civic EX, I was determined to methodically compare a number of models that would give me a little moe room and equipment. Altima, Camry, Sonata, 6, Malibu and of course Accord were on the list. I was looking for the best value and looking for a fair deal, not to squeeze every last dollar out of the price.

I went into Paragon Honda of Woodside NY AS A RETURNING CUSTOMER and was treated awfully. Even though it was a quiet weekday afternoon the salesman was in a complete rush. His first answer to any question I asked about the car was, "Are you going to do something today?" I had a couple of months on my lease left, so I was willing to do something but didn't have to. When I asked if it had a timing belt or chain, he actually rolled his eyes and sighed. As the owner of an 89 Accord and 99 Civic, I know that Honda likes to build in scheduled $400 repairs at every 60k, it's my right to ask. After a little arm twisting, I was rewarded with a 4 block test drive. I guess that the Accord felt good at 20 mph, but I was left wondering about highway speeds. I was a returning Honda customer and was treated with total contempt and mistrust. I know that they sell alot of Accords, but I figured that they could always sell one more.

My next step was to drive up the road to Koeppel Nissan in Jackson Heights, NY. I was warmly received, offered a cup of coffee and spoke at length to a knowledgable salesman who took me for a twenty minute test drive and knew that the Altima HAD A TIMING CHAIN =)

They had the model that I wanted Pewter 2.5S with convenience package and was talked it down to $40 over invoice. When they agreed to split my last two lease payments and return the Civic to the clowns at Paragon, we had a deal that day and I drove it home. I hadn't intended to buy, but I was treated so well by Koeppel and got a fair deal so I did.

I don't mean to ramble, but I just wanted to offer a different perspective. I think that when we're dealing with mass market cars, we can't really make generalizations about dealer networks, just individual dealers.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I agree that its good to get more than one perspective, but it should be noted that in most Customer Satisfaction studies relating to the sales experience, I believe Honda is typically rated more highly by JDPower than Toyota or Nissan. That said, I dont think any of the three is above the industry average.

~alpha
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    About mass market cars the Accord is not in demand like it was in the decade of the 90's. I would think Honda dealers would be more willing to be more flexible with selling Accord's than ever before.

Max: just go to another Nissan dealership and try to deal. That was a salesman that I guess didn't want to make sale. I wish you the best luck on purchasing your Nissan since you have been researching Japanese Mid-size cars for like a year now.
    Again, I was only relating my experience at one Honda dealer. As a returning new car customer with a lease about to expire, I should have received the red carpet treatment. What you say makes sense, but the clowns at Paragon Honda still think that they're on the gravy train of the 90s.
    I have decided not to fool with Crown Nissan in Greenville anytime soon.

I plan to go out to Harrleson Nissan (Rock Hill, SC) and Superior and Independence Nissan (Both in Charlotte) tomorrow afternoon, after college.

I have previously dealt with Harrelson, but I am not sure yet. I think I may deal with the dealerships in Charlotte first.

I guess the reason the Honda dealership was so friendly with us is because we have previously dealt with that particular dealership.

I have basically ruled the Accord out now because the Altima is the car I REALLY want.

So we will see what happens tomorrow.
    Good luck Max. I was looking at another old board and saw one of your posts from like 2001, so I can see how much effort you put into this search. Glad you are getting what you want.

Joe
    I first wanted a 2000 Nissan Maxima back in June of 1999.

That's when my love for cars started....and it hasn't stopped yet.

I LOVE cars. Absolutely LOVE cars. That is why I am majoring in Packething Science/Automotive Engineer at Clemson University.

The problem Nissan has is the value equation. The value equation is serious sorry...
    I agree Max, that's why I ended up in an Accord (which I love). Otherwise I would have had a much tougher decision. Their loss. I'm happy with my car, but understand why someone would go with an Altima's power and distinctive styling.
    I first wanted a 2000 Nissan Maxima back in June of 1999.

That's when my love for cars started....and it hasn't stopped yet.

I LOVE cars. Absolutely LOVE cars. That is why I am majoring in Packething Science/Automotive Engineer at Clemson University.

The problem Nissan has is the value equation. The value equation is serious sorry...
  • oldsroyaleoldsroyale Member Posts: 11
    I drove the new '05 3.5SE. I have to say that I was disappointed in the "improved" interior. It may look nicer, but most of the interior bits feel cheap and insubstantial. I actually think that the '04s interior felt more solid, even though it didn't look as good. Just my opinion.

Also, I have to say that the lack of availability of the side airbag/ABS/traction control package on the sales lots really surprised me. I know it is a supply and demand thing, but still, you are paying $24,000 for a 250hp car with no ABS or TC!
    the reason its not on lots is quite reasonable. price shoppers will go with one without it to save $800, and your competitor will win every time on the car without the pkg. we have a 2004 without the pkg. that we got on the lot in october. people would rather order one without than pay for something they dont want.
    Oh, really? Honda doesnt seem to be having any issues selling Accord EX V6s in my area, and practically every single Camry XLE V6 in the Greater NY region is equipped with the VSC/Side Airbags option. Additionally, the current stock of Camry XLEs (MSRP about 24K) 4s all have Side Curtains in this region. Finally, Nissan is virtually alone in offering a midsize V6 sedan (the 3.5SE) that doesnt have ABS standard.

I think you're making excuses for Nissans continued inattention to safety for the lower and mid-priced vehicles. No problem with vehicles that start above $25K- the Quest, Murano, and Maxima all have desirable Head Curtains and ABS standard.

~alpha
    i was talking about dealers. if a shopper goes to every dealer and cant find one without it, then they will settle for it. the difference is that if they have the choice, they will pass on the equipment 8 out of 10 times.

with honda, its not a choice.
    Safety stuff is optional and HARD to find.

I went shopping today again for an Altima. None had side airbags, but ABS is supposed to be standard now on the 3.5SE automatic and 3.5SL models.

Needless to say, I will definately not be buying a car now.

It breaks my heart into pieces but oh well.

I got some shocking news today and I have decided that IF I buy a car now, it will be USED.

New, is out of the question at this apparent time...so no Altima...and NO Accord for me.
    We all feel for you and know how much you have put into this. Hope it works out for you. For what its worth, I didn't own a new car until last week and I'm 34. My old Subaru's, Coralla's and Saturn always got me where I needed to go for 18 years, just not always in as much style or as fast as I would have liked. Many friends joked about "Joe's Lexus'" as they made fun of my wheels. They never turned down a ride though. It just makes my new car all the sweeter now that I know what the alternative is. On a college campus, a new car would be out of place anyway. Better to get the news before you were on the hook for $20,000. I hope your news wasn't tragic.

Joe
    I am very sorry to hear that you will be unable to purchase the New Altima that you have so desired. But dont be discouraged, there are plenty of very good used vehicles out there. A good 1999-2000 Accord EX 4, for example, can probably be had for half of what the Altima would have cost.

No worries my friend. There are far more important things in life than vehicles. I am thankful every day that I can enjoy the privelege of ranting and raving about automobiles, but cars are just transportation when all is said and done.

~alpha
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I have a rental for the week my wife's LL Bean Subaru Outback is in the shop and it is very nice - a 2005 Nissan Altima with 14 miles on it!

I took it out for 5 more miles and it is really sweet -- this is a basic SL model with 175 hp 4 cy and auto. Pie plate wheels and basic interior. For under $20k. Resale I am sure would be worse than a Honda with so many in rental fleets but still.

It could really handle and had no problem getting out of its own way. Very flat in corners. I was impressed!

My Accord (2003 I4 EX-L MT) is softer and a little more rolly polly in corners. The Accord is much quieter and has a better interior. To be fair, an EX-Leather is more equivalent to an ALitma with SE Leather.

The back seat on the Accord is larger. The Nissan looks larger but the Accord actually has the bigger interior.

However, this Alitima has more pull than the Subie H6 3.0, I would say. Just no AWD or wagon for hauling. I was impressed. A nice car and the interior was better looking than the 04.
  • miasimonmiasimon Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me what the 2002-2003 2.5 4 cyclinder is getting in the real world. I want real world numbers. Also would be interested in what difference the a/c makes. My first tank was 22 which seems low but that is with a/c and temps above 90
    The rear seat in the Accord may feel larger, but if you look at the cubic footage of the interiors, the Altima trumps both the Accord and Camry.

miasimon- I average about 26 MPG with the 2.5L auto in my Sentra, which tips the scales about 400 lbs lighter than a 4 cylinder Altima. I dont know if that helps, but it should give you perspective.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    SQ footage can be misleading, since it includes height. If your head doesn't hit the ceiling, more headroom isn't really valuable. My kids don't even stick up above the seat backs.

Now, width you notice (especially with 3 across).

The seat design is also important. Nice upright seats give more usable room (especially leg room), than low riding seats that make you stretch your legs out more.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I was FINALLY able to get an Altima.

Tonight I am driving an 05 Nissan Altima 2.5S with Convenience Plus Pkg., Splash guards and sunroof visor.

I got a price of $500 over invoice...and I am happy. We go in tomorrow afternoon to finalizes all finanacing.

The car is an automatic unfortunately, but hey, I AM HAPPY.

The Altima has a ROOMY back seat, the Accord didn't feel roomier IMO. The Camry is roomier to me than the Accord.

As a matter of fact, the Accord and the Mazda6 seem about the same size, while the Camry and Altima seem slightly larger.
    Cool Max,

Glad it worked out for you. I think you'll be happy with it. Sounds like you got a good deal. What color did you decide on?

I don't know what the stats say about the Accord vs. Madza, but I know that I fit more comfortably in the Accord and in the Mazda, I felt like it was a tight fit. Just one man's opinion.

Joe
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Congratulations on the Nissan. I kinda knew you would get it. You seem kinda fustrated though yesterday on these boards though. Enjoy the Nissan!
    Some dealers treated me like I was nothing. That drives me CRAZY.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase.

The car is less than $240 a month and it will be paid off in 18 months because I put $14K down.
    Dealers can pay the price for their stereotypes. You probably put more down than 95% of buyers out there and because you are young, they ignored you. Too bad it's that way.
  • pda97pda97 Member Posts: 91
    The V6 is now rated at 250 hp while delivering 20/30 MPG. Not bad !
    With premium gas going towards $3 a gallon this summer, it will still cost a bundle. I wish that they would get it to run well on regular.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    The regular/premium debate about the Nissan v-6 has gone on for years, but my experience and that of many others is that the engine runs fine on regular, but it isn't as efficient (small horsepower/gas mileage sacrifice). I have usually run 89 octane in my Maxima and done just fine.
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    This is from the 2005 Altima Manual
    Technical & Consumer Info Section 9-3:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION

For 2.5L engine

Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 91).

For 3.5L

Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 91).

For improved vehicle performance, NISSAN recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI number (Research octane number 96).
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Which model and color did you get?
    With Charcoal Cloth.

I washed "Allana" today and she is beauiful!

Love that car, but nothing can compare to my ole 1991 Honda Accord EX.
This discussion has been closed.