Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New 2005 Altima: Interior and other info

carpeoplecarpeople Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Nissan
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bahill2/dash.jpg

That is the site to see the whole new interior, just click or copy and paste. It comes off of the Nissan tech-info site, where you can find the owners manuals, and you can view the whole thing if you want to.

That's right, the old, cheap, and weak interior materials are gone and replaced by better quality and a cleaner design.

For 2005, the Altima will come in 4 models:
2.5S, 2.5SL, 3.5SL, and 3.5 SE

Navi will be available in all but 2.5S Altimas.

As for the exterior, the headlights will appear in a more smoked look, and the taillights now have dark chrome instead of the bright chrome in the current model. It will NOT have the tooth in the grill as the Sentra, Quest, etc.

Color wise, Velvet Beige(gold) is replaced by Coral Sand. Majestic Blue will be added as a new color for 2005

You can order beginning next month, and the cars will hit the lots in March.

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    looks like a more normal radio setup.....
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I've heard different stories on the grille, some say it does have a 'tooth' and others say not. But, next week it's unveiled here in my hometown.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Any other pictures besides the dash??
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Basically what I have been saying a along....LOL. I have posted this stuff on every Altima board...

I am so happy.

Let's just say, the materials are WAY WAY better, and it looks very nice. Similar to the Camry, Accord but slightly below the Passat.
    Will it really be unveiled in Chicago next week?

Can you find out if it really will be unveiled there, because I might take a flight up to Chicago.

Thanks in advance.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Are there any color pics of the interior somewhere?
  • carpeoplecarpeople Member Posts: 36
    Only pics are the owners' manual pics at nissantech-info.com

Everything else, wait for the Chicago Auto Show.

The front and back look better and more aggressive, but retain their sexy shape, and there is a crease in the hood, no tooth...... thats all the info, no pics, jus visualize your dream sports sedan ;)
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    It will be shown to the press Feb 2-3, a few days away.
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    is there chance for a transmission to a four-speed(or five-speed) automatic with manual shift mode.
    if only for the SE 3.5 that would be nice.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
  • rock44xrock44x Member Posts: 78
    that hot,
    i'm think nissan is gonna have alot of trade in, great time to make the change to, most lease will be up this year smart move.
    nice, automatic with manual shift mode and 245hps nice.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Since you all are talking about Nissans do any of you have any info or better yet pics of the 2005 G35 Coupe interior re-do? Anything official concerning the G's interior redo?

M
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    Nissan did a nice job with the new interior...

I might be the only person on Earth, though, who liked the center bar in the middle of the grille. I thought it was really distinctive. I think the new look is resultingly more generic, but i know 99% of humanity disagrees with me :-).

- Bret
    If you look closely, the "tooth" is there in the form of a slightly different grill pattern.
    Wow, what a HUGE improvement. The gauges look exactly like the G6, except it works better because the whole interior is great. Good job Nissan!
    I can't wait...and I definately getting the Black interior...it looks best IMO.

I look forword to testing one by the end of Feb.
  • sirlandsirland Member Posts: 16
    You have to give Nissan some credit they have turn the Altima into a real car. I am one for a sport look in a car, but the Altima before the 05 change was a car that I would not consider before. But now that they have improve the look and inside too I am going to have to take a real good look at this car. When it comes out. I think the rear bumper of the Altima looks to fat.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    I have two criticisms of the new look:

1. Maybe I'm mistaken on this one, but doesn't it have more chrome-endowed than before?

2. They change the frontlight casing, now it looks similar to the last gen Max. I like the old casing better.

The interior is definitely much better, and thanks goodness, no fake wood!
    is standard on the SL models...but it looks good to me.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Actually 250hp for 05 rock44x!
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    will eventually kill the Maxima. Unless the Maxi gets the Infinity V8 with 340 Hp.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Much, much better interior (although I think they could have kept the distinctive style of the center console). Too bad it's three years too late for me - I bought an '02 Maxima instead because the '02 Altima interior was too cheap. Oh well.

In the 30K price point, I agree that the Max needs a V8 option. Or something to really differentiate it from the Altima. 20HP isn't enough to justify $3000.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Max needs AWD, as in Murano, much more than v8. That's encrouching on Infiniti's territory, which is having enough trouble selling v8's.

There's no reason to kill Max. It has one of Nissan's most emotive names. Nissan has the best flexible manufacturing in the industry, so the extra expense of building Max and Alty side by side is not that great. Nissan should just upgrade it so it can match the TL, that should be Max's mission.
  • mrmaximamrmaxima Member Posts: 4
    You can get all the official pictures of the 2005 Altima at Nissannews.com(awsome site), and click the "Chicago Auto Show" Link, you can also a product guide there, and a preview of it on nissanusa.com ...if your lucky enough.:-)
    GM cost-cuts by putting in the same knobs, plastics, gauges into a number of vehicles. In Japan, they get contracts from different companies.

The 05 Altima has some of the same interior parts as my Suzuki XL7. I thought they might have copied the design, but I found out that the knobs and some interior parts were from different companies in Japan. The odometer is the exact same one from my XL7 (I haven't seen one yet with that same style), same with the A/C knobs which were from a company of which I forgot their name. I also noticed that the Saab 9-2X (Subaru Impreza) gets different A/C knobs than the Impreza, but it's still built in Japan. I looked at the picture up close and it's the exact format as my XL7! So, I did some research and found the website that does those Japanese parts, but I forgot the link. Interesting how in Japan they cost-cut by hiring someone to do some of their parts, while here we have GM trying to make their own parts or creating new brands to make crappy parts such as Delco. LOL
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Always a Nissan Fan, this is great. 250 HP really buries other contenders, and 249 lb ft of torque crushes them. Way to go Nissan!
    Malibu and G6 lovers beware. My best for the best sedans now are the MAZDA6, Nissan Altima, and Pontiac G6. Each is great in its own way.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,277
    Wow.... I'm really happy with my 03, but Nissan addresses all of the criticisms of the car in the 05. I swore that I'd keep my car for 10 years, but this is tempting. If I could avoid dropping a couple grand on sales tax to buy a new one, I would be real close to checking it out.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Heh, you've always been a Nissan fan, but your username is "03accordman"? Just playin' with ya.
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    does anyone know what colours the 2005 altima will be offered in? i don't think there was any mention of it at nissannews
    Majestic Blue is added!!!

And Coral Sand (sand color found on the Quest)replaces Velvet Beige..
    But that pic is low quality. Maybe some higher quality pics will surface soon.
  • 381d381d Member Posts: 5
    Had a short amount of time at the Chicago auto show to look/sit in the 2005 Altima. Updated fabric/leather, door handles and locks are shiny chrome, steering wheel is three spoke like on the Armada/Maxima. The wheel telescopes as before, but the levers seemed a little changed, particularly the tilt lever. I tend to jack up the steering wheel a ways up, and most Japanese cars don't have steering wheels that tilt way up. The Avalon does, and this 2005 Altima does. The 2004 steering wheel didn't tilt as high. Smoked headlights looked good. The front of the car was changed more than I had expected just from looking at the photos. The hood is a couple of inches higher at the front, didn't look to slope as much, and had two styled creases that I didn't remember on the '04. I kind of liked the older style, looked better to me. Anyway, the show car had a nav, but no power so I could not play around with it. It looked like the screen was the same size as in a nearby G35, but not a pop-up screen, it was fixed and had a little fixed glare shade above it, I believe. The chrome circles around the gauges caught my eye. A door sill trim piece was falling off, and after looking at the Hondas and Toyotas, the interior trim still seemed to be improved but not as "tight" I guess as the competition. Hope this helps someone working a deal vs. waiting for this car.
    i hope nissan re-introduces the light metallic turquoise colour the altima came in before--i think it was called oceania or something like that in the states. funny how they change the names of certain paint colours for the Canadian and American markets! market research?!

anyways, i like all the changes to the new altima except for the front lights--i think the current version has a crisper, less convoluted design. the interior though is a huge improvement.

i think the manufacturers are finally listening to us about using better quality materials and layouts interior-wise. out of all the major players, currently i think the "new" ford and audi are the best at it.
    That was a nice color and I wish Nissan had kept it.

The SE models were purdy with that color, unfortunately, it will not be coming back.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Ford? Are you kidding? Ford claimed a dramatic improvement in interior style, design, and materials quality for the new Freestar. Guess what? The interior of the Freestar was recently panned by both James Healy of USA Today, and Consumer Reports. I recently test drove a 2004 Focus, prior to Fords interior renaissance. Style-wise, I thought it was far better than the 80s looking designs that keep surfacing in Ford vehicles- such as in the new 500. (Overall, a very fun test drive. Pity the first car I picked to test wouldnt start, much to the salesmans chagrin. I wonder if all the assembly/reliability issues with the Focus have indeed been worked out?)

But I digress.

In terms of materials quality, I still think Toyota has a deserved excellent reputation. Designs are nothing exciting, though. (This seems to be changing, given the interesting interior design of the new Solara, Scion tC, the next GS, the Prius, etc....). Nissans interiors are well styled, and these new updates to the Altima have promised better quality materials as well. Audi has all the bases covered, but then... they arent a mainstream make, and in the luxury realm, Lexus interiors are amazing. The ES330 interior is truly exquisite for the $35,000, especially with the real wood trim on the steering wheel.

~alpha
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    I unfortunately have to agree with you. I just came from my Ford/Toyota dealer today getting an oil change on my SVT Contour. The Freestar I sat in was disappointing, especially after the pictures were so promising. I don't understand why everything is so small (gauges, controls, knobs, grab handles, etc.). Granted, it was a "stripper," but it shouldn't matter.

Conversely, the Solera couple interior I sat in, for a $27,000 car, was really impressive. It could have been a Lexus. Conversely, however, I thought the Camry and Highlander had two of the blandest interiors I've ever seen, and the quality wasn't so terrific either.

We'll see on the new Altima. I've loved Nissan's designs, but quality of materials has been seriously lacking. We'll see!

- Bret
    i guess i should have clarified myself. i should have said "some" of the new models ford is bringing out, such as the f-150 (class-leading imo) and the upcoming mustang and gt sports car. you're absolutely right about other vehicles in their line-up though. i suppose i was only focusing on the ford models that i'm personally interested in.

toyota uses good quality materials inside their vehicles, but i find that like ford their execution is quite uneven. for example the solara has a light spacious airy interior which uses fake wood and plastic convincingly, but the camry has a really drab-looking interior with its abundant use of bad fake plastic wood and black plastic on the console. couldn't they add some chrome or brushed metal detailing around the shifter at least? i do like their clean funky gauge cluster though, especially on the top-level sport model with its silvery white backgrounds. the highlander also pales in comparison to it's competition--too old school (in a bad way) in its design layout and styling for the same reasons as the camry.

nissan i find tries very hard, maybe too hard to be different in their interiors, but i give them an A for effort. the better quality materials in the new altima is a good start because the plastic in the current version is very brittle and flimsy. they also don't make a very good centre armrest--it only extends about eight inches forward--not much good for resting an arm on unless you're a seal. if you want to see a great nissan interior, check out nissan.co.uk and see the primera--it's a wonderful car, especially from the swoopy rear. i think that's a showcase car for nissan's interior styling--very spacious and modern. i wish they'd bring it and the cube concept to NA.

just my two cents worth.
  • ultimaultima Member Posts: 96
    I'm happy Nissan spent some time redesigning the interior -- did a good job, in my opinion. And am REALLY happy they didn't put that nasty grille on the Altima... or at least the "exact" same one that's on the Max.

For the record, I am an Altima owner and absolutely love the car -- even with the old interior... People made too big a deal about it, again... in my opinion.

What disappoints me about Nissan, however, is the Accord will be offered with a "hybrid" gas/electric, I'm sure the Camry will be soon as well (cause the Hylander is getting one... 300hp and still gets 30mpg), and the new Acura CL is supposed to have a 300+hp V8 that gets 40mpg -- Nissan has not kept up in that regard.

My opinion... I believe in the next 5 years or so, we'll start to see depreciation fall considerably on traditional "gas" engine cars/trucks... Because after a few years, most every company out there will offer a Hybrid Gas/Elec with more power and significantly greater mileage -- so why buy a traditional gas powered car?

My next vehicle will definately be a Hybrid... Same money as gas engine vehicle, much better mileage, more power, and I believe the IRS even gives you a tax-break for buying one.

What do ya'll think?

(:-D
  • carpeoplecarpeople Member Posts: 36
    They are coming out with a Hybrid for the Altima and their are rumors that a crossover SUV from Nissan will recieve hybrid technology.
    Will use a licensed to Nissan version of Toyota's "Hybrid Synergy Drive". Very interesting, no?

6thbeatle- Well said, and I almost wholeheartedly agree. "The Highlander also pales in comparison to it's competition--too old school (in a bad way) in its design layout and styling for the same reasons as the camry." I agree with you on the HL, and disagree on the Camry. The XLE's wood is very authentic looking, and sparingly used. Perhaps you are talking about the dealer installed accessory kit, which I think is terrible, and on that, I would agree with you. Chrome detailing can be found on the door handles of the XLE, and the Camry SE uses a unique interior treatment as well.

People seem to be voicing concern over the Altimas interior/center stack when not equipped with the NAV. From what I have seen, it still looks great, and functional, and materials seem to be high quality. Well done, rising sun.

~alpha
    Guys... Thanks for the info.

I went on the net and found this:

http://www.fleet-central.com/af/newspick.cfm?rank=3572

Car & Driver also confirms this.
    A hybrid vehicle received a tax deduction of $2,000 in 2003. The current incentive is scheduled to phase out in 2004-06. Vehicles purchased in 2004 will be eligible for a deduction of up to $1,500; vehicles purchased in 2005 will be eligible for up to $1,000; vehicles purchased in 2006 will be eligible for up to $500.

This is an above the line deduction, so you qualify whether you itemize or take the standard deduction.

It remains to be seen whether the government will enact bills for a deduction after 2006.
    But is it going to be released for MY 2006 or will it be released in 2006 as a MY 2007?

I ask this because the Altima is supposed to be redesigned for MY 2007 and it would make the most sense.

As for now, I look forward to getting my 2005 Altima 3.5SE in April.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    Who wants a hybrid midsized sedan? Gas mileage won't be appreciably better than standard combustion engines, performance will be worse, and initial cost and maintenance will be higher. Resale may also be worse. It takes many years of better gas mileage savings to recoup the initial cost of hybrids.

In addition, don't expect the tax breaks to hang around once manufactures start producing millions of hybrid vehicles. Too costly.

Hybrid technology makes sense in vehicles like SUVs, which get horrendous gas mileage. I'd never consider that technology in an Altima, where you can top 30 mpg (highway) with the I-4 engine. Just my opinon, of course.
    If they can get 40 mpg on a V6 Hybrid Altima w/ V8-like performance at a premium of $2000, then I'm all for it. It might be wishful thinking on my part of course.

The RX400h purportedly will get 50% better gas mileage, perform like a V8, and cost about $4000 more, so I see no reason why the above scenario cannot come to fruition some time in the future.
    I respect your opinion, though it seems not to be fact based. Can you provide any documentation pointing to the fact that hybrids in mainstream midsize vehicles are going to be both marginal in added efficiency, while simultaneously distinctly lacking in power, as you indicate?

~alpha
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    Documentation?

No, I am not an engineer, nor interested enough in this subject to spend a lot of time researching.

However I have not read in mainstream publications news of any hybrids today, nor projected in the immediate future, that can accomplish the type of performance boost or energy savings that make hybrids a good alternative (in my opinion) to today's extremely efficient internal combustion engines in midsize or compact sedans.

However, like I said before, in extremely heavy gas guzzlers, hybrid technology may make more sense. This is where I agree with GM's Bob Lutz.

But, I don't want to stray off topic. The new Altima looks like a real winner inside and out. It is a real Camcord alternative, now.
    Here's a link (Edmunds) discussing Toyota's Hybrid Highlander for 2005.

Note the horsepower and mileage for this SUV -- take the same engine and drop it into a Camry and it will perform much better.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2005/toyota/highlander/100377715/pr- - eview.html?tid=edmunds.n.mmindex.content.num8.2.toyota*

(:-D
This discussion has been closed.