Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrid Honda Accord

Comments

• samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I think the reason the 2006 HAH will be canned is the 2007 Camry Hybrid out this spring. I doubt anyone will buy a HAH over this:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/index.html?s_van=http://www.toyota.com/new- camry&ref=
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Okay so the 2006 HAH is delayed. None of the folllowing is true:

The HAH is delayed because of the FIT. The FIT has nothing to do with the HAH. The only person who would say something like that is a unethical bait and switch car salesman.

samiam_68 said: "I think the reason the 2006 HAH will be canned is the 2007 Camry Hybrid out this spring." That is incorrect FUD also. The cars are targeted at two completley different demographic groups: one for a traditional sedan with perfomance and better that average milage 37. And the second for high mileage 43 traditional sedan with emphasis on mileage and performance equivalent to a 4 cylinder. While the new Camry will have a much better performance model than the current Toyota Turtle Hybrid "go before", it will still be pretty lackluster.

Why is the 2006 HAH delayed? Who knows? But the answers are not the Honda Fit or the 2007 Hybrid Camry.

And to top it off you have a 2005 HAH rubbing it in that you don't have your 2006 HAHs while he is driving around in his.

YMMV,

MidCow

P.S.- I like the performance of the HAH, but I never have learned to drive an automatic.
  • plymouth7plymouth7 Member Posts: 4
    "Why is the 2006 HAH delayed? Who knows? But the answers are not the Honda Fit or the 2007 Hybrid Camry.
    And to top it off you have a 2005 HAH rubbing it in that you don't have your 2006 HAHs while he is driving around in his."

Thanks MidCow, my thoughts exactly. It's a new week and all of the Hybrid news at the Detroit Auto show is abuzz for everybody but Honda's. Is that maybe because they don't have much to show but a 2005 HAH and offering zero information on the '06? They act like the Wizard of Oz with a dont'-look-behind-the-curtain-if-you-want-a-HAH-here
    -it-is, but it's a '05.
    I know, just wait for your '06 and relax, but I have had a deposit since October (that my dealer gladly took), so I don't think that asking for some or any information is off base.
  • jonbobjonbob Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 HAH on order and am not getting straight answers from the dealer. They claim having spoken to the zone manager and indicate that the delivery is pushed back but no firm delivery date. I finally contacted a friend in Japan who knows a management type at Honda auto. He claims the following: Deliveries will start in Mid March. I believe transport to the west coast is approx. 2 weeks. Additionally, there appears to be a concern involving the EPA. Nothing specific except that the 2006 is being retested. The source indicates that Honda is making additional changes to the 2006 but declined to offer specifics. I hope this hope you plan more effectively. It is a shame to recieve a 2006 HAH in mid season.
  • kphybridkphybrid Member Posts: 4
    ...not 2006!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This discussion originated when the HAH was a "future vehicle", so it's probably time to retitle it to make it simply the Honda Hybrid Accord discussion.
    Which of the following best describes why you own a hybrid?

a) to make a statement

b) for the tax credit and other perks

c) because they’re environmentally friendly

d) to save money at the pump

e) to be the first to own new technology

Please submit a few sentences to support your response no later than Friday, January 27, 2006. Be sure to include your Forums username. Thanks! (wclarke@edmunds.com)
  • s2khahs2khah Member Posts: 26
    I bought my HAH, in part, for reasons b and d but you missed a few others good selections.

f) Honda's excellent reliability and value record

g) HAH's combination of very high performance with impressive fuel economy

h) both fun and thrifty to drive

i) Honda's integration of an electrical drive system and engine fuel use management technical advances with no compromise of drive-ability and comfort

j) "not" for the marginally satisfactory NAV system (Toyotas is 300% better, IMO)

k) "not" for the confusing and ergonomic-less NAV, climate, audio controls

l) because I don't mind being stuck with Hondas limited, uninspired, almost nerdy color selections (you see, I also own an S2000)

I realize you only want "Hybrid" related answers, but I feel that those of us who buy an Accord Hybrid are looking for more than just the Hybrid benefits.

Sincerely, S2KHAH.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    "not" for the marginally satisfactory NAV system (Toyotas is 300% better, IMO)

Now I am confused. I thought from reading the posts here that the Honda/Acura NAV system was superior to the Toyota/Lexus. I see many complaints on the Toyota NAV. I have looked at aftermarket ones and the Pioneer seems to have a good rep. I have set up my two year old Dell laptop for NAV use. Have not tested it on the road yet.
    Most people think the Honda/Acura NAV is better. I have the Honda NAV and it is excellent. Also have a Garmin and it is excellent also. I think that the "300% better" is only s2khah's personal opinion. The Toyota is good or very good, probably on par with the Honda/Acura. I doubt that it is 300% better. Must be a feature or two of the Honda/Acura NAV implementation that s2khah does not like; I think he alluded to not liking the integrated HVAC controls.

Did not get a hybrid becuase:

a) they really don't save money
    b) they only come in funky colors
    c) they don't have manual transmission
    d) many are so underpowered as to not be safe

cheers,

MidCow
  • bigdave2bigdave2 Member Posts: 40
    Did not get a hybrid becuase:

a) they really don't save money
    b) they only come in funky colors
    c) they don't have manual transmission
    d) many are so underpowered as to not be safe

cheers,

MidCow

Do we want to point out just how uninformed MidCow is, or do we prefer to let him remain ignornant? :P
  • s2khahs2khah Member Posts: 26
    I feel a minor clarification is due here, on two points.

HAH Nav: a)My experience with the NAV is marginal but I know a friend's Prius automatically shows at least 3 routes to where you are going and will show 3 more routes if you don't like those. With the HAH you just get one route and it takes about a half dozen button pushes (while you are moving) to see a only a second "No Toll Road" option, and so on and so on.
    b)My HAH Nav has missed roads (roads that have been there for 5 or more years) and has gotten me partially lost about 20% of the time (recovery was usually manual map manipulation).
    c)And YOU to try to hit the "Enter" button while driving at speed because you are now late.
    d)I am assuming that others systems must be better. If not, I apologize.

Integrated Controls: I must say I have not seen a much more confusing (and less intuitive) set of buttons in the center of a car. The Audio and Nav controls should be separate and distinct and not look alike or use the same screen. However for the sake of "eye candy" a lot of manufacturers seem to do this (looks vs function). I don't want to be flying at 70+ mph (on a typically rough interstate) trying to figure out how to adjust the stereo by poking on a screen, even if I miraculously got to the right screen by randomly selecting the lineup of buttons.

Honda can do a lot here, like copy the dashboard from my S2000. The ultimate and, perfect for driving, minimum set of controls.
  • citywolfcitywolf Member Posts: 14
    I, too, have been waiting for a 2006 HAH since october and have been told each month that it will arriving. I was just told by my dealer that my car is in my state, but is not being released because Honda has a huge inventory of 2005 HAH's, and they want their inventory to go down before releasing the 2006's. My dealer has six 2005 HAH's on the lot. I am really frustrated and about ready to ask for my deposit back. My wife got a 2006 civic hybrid, and it is really an amazing machine! I am hopeful the accord will be as amazing. If I have to wait much longer though, I am giving up on honda. I don't know who to believe anymore, but it is definitely not the dealer.
  • taztroopertaztrooper Member Posts: 2
    I just took a look at http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Accord+Hybrid and it now shows the 2006 HAH, finally. Looks like the gas mileage has gone down, it is now 25 / 34. Starting MSRP is $30,900.00
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Wow! It must have been updated this evening since earlier today the 2005 Hybrid Accord was STILL on the site.
    Thanks for the update.
    I like the looks much better this year. The rear end is MUCH improved....
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Is the drop in mileage between the years attributable to a change in how the EPA calculates mileage now or some difference between the cars?

I own a 2005 and 25 city and 34 hwy is closer to what I actually get than 29 city and 37 hwy (the 2005 rating, I believe).
  • chaitschaits Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I am thinking about buying an Insight in a few months time, and wanted to get your thoughts about this car...

While I read many of its pros, I wonder what are the cons... As such, what are the disadvantages of Hybrid vehicles?

Also, how reliable/trustworthy is Honda when it comes to the maintenance? I ask, coz I had a Sony Camera under warranty, but Sony asked for $120 as labour charges to fix issues when they arose. One of the advantages of buying a first hand car, for me, is because of the 60K warranty. Is that without catches?

Thanks!
    Be sure to join the Eagle One team in a live chat event tonight to find out how nanotechnology is changing the future in car appearance products.

The chat gets underway at 9PM ET/6PM PT.

There's also going to be a special offer available only to those attending the chat, so don't miss this one.

Eagle One Team Chat

Hope to see you there!
    Since Honda has downgraded the Mileage on the 06 Honda Accord Hybrid (HAH), it is actually worse than the mileage for the '06 4-cyl accord

Model-City-HGWY--MSRP
    V6-----20---29----27,300
    4cyl---26---34----22,450 (EX)
    Hybrd-25---34----30,999

I get 25 mpg city in my '03 accord (4cyl)

I am not sure why I should buy an accord hybrid anymore. Have we all been duped? :confuse:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The hybrid gets about the same fuel economy as the I4 but has almost 100 hp more. If you don't need/want that much power, the I4 is a better choice.
    yes, exactly

comparing the HAH to the HA 4 cylinder is comparing apples and oranges. Not to diss the HA 4 cyl, but it will not have nearly as sporty a ride as the HAH

if you want, compare it to the V6. The HAH gets far better mpg and should challenge the V6 on any race course. Which would YOU buy?

(I know - ice's have stood the test of time, whereas hybrids are not - that's fine - but the comparo to the V6 is the right one, not to the 4)
  • 96gc1owner96gc1owner Member Posts: 54
    I would buy the Accord with the 166 hp 2.4L in a hybrid (add ~50hp) version that gets 35-45 mpg. Wonder why they didn't make a hybrid with a 4 cyl? :confuse:
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    The HAH is an incredible car. It's very, very fast. It's worth for what you paid for. Honda makes better cars every year. My son always loves to borrow my HAH. I love it too. Yesterday, I had to go home fast to take my son to DMV before the office closes. My HAH ran like a big quiet greyhound on freeway. It's been very impressive. I have been very much satisfied with its performance. I rarely drive fast. But when I need to it performs beyond my expectation. Quiet and very fast. That's the HAH.
  • stephbankstonstephbankston Member Posts: 4
    I cant wait. My dealership just got our assigned alotment ETA dates of 9 Accord Hybrids (including 2 with Nav) and they should be here around 2/13-2/17 unless they experience any delays while in transit.

*I am SOOOO giddy*

BTW....I think I want to be the future owner of one of these and I dont think its just a working mans luxury car...I would say its safe to say I qualify for the "eco-friendly soccer mama" title

;)
    The car you are talking about will be available soon. It's called the 2007 Camry Hybrid. ;)
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Toyota uses their old Camry 198HP to make a Camry hybrid. I won't buy it. It is inferior to the HAH of 253 - 255HP. The Camry hybrid's MPG may be better than the HAH but its performance compared to the HAH's is surely inferior.
    Many people buy the hybrids to cut down on emissions. Actually the Honda Accord is only ULEV rated. The 4 cylinder Camry is PZEV rated. The Toyota is much cleaner than the Honda. The Camry has a 9.5 EPA rating in the CARB states and the Accord Hybrid only rates a 7. Honda needs to do some work on the Accord Hybrid emissions.

Plus the Camry has much better head room for us tall guys. I drove one for a week and thought it had good acceleration. All your HAH is going to do is cost you money when your son starts getting tickets for racing it.
    Of course the Camry's performance is inferior to the HAH. But expecting both blistering performance like the HAH offers plus an EPA rating up to 45 mpg is a little unrealistic IMO. The CH rides that middle ground between the HAH and the Prius.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

The I4’s handle better then the V6 or the AH as they (std. V6 and AH) under steer at their limits when I ran them to their respective limits on an uphill right handed sweeper near my home about 1.5 miles from the Honda dealership. As for the rest, power for $5 + K more? The std. ULEV-II based V6 sales are already trounced by the PZEV and non-PZEV based I4’s and the AH at another few grand on top of that can’t make it to the big time :( Especially now that the AH’s FE is almost dead on with the I4. Remember that less then 17K units (AH’s) were sold throughout all of last year and the last 6 months were at fire sale prices at well below Invoice for anyone that was interested :(

As for the Honda’s PZEV emissions in the HCH-I, II, 03-05 non-hybrid Accord, and now the 06 AH, they are lower then the PZEV based Camry’s and Prius II’s. Honda’s Tier II/Bin 2 ratings are the best in the business vs. Bin 3 PZEV’s in the Toyota lineup.

The TCH has the AH by the shorthairs imho. The AH is good for around a 60 mpg max segment and that is pulling all the stops under perfect conditions. The stick based V6 could take the AH to the cleaners let alone what the I4 w/ Auto or Stick can do in those same conditions. The TCH will easily bust through 80 and possibly even 90 mpg within a few weeks of its release given the way the HSD equipped Toyota’s can be gamed with the right driver behind the windscreen.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • greatvet1greatvet1 Member Posts: 11
    I have owned 3 hondas in the past 10 years: a '90 prelude, an '02 Accord V6 and now an '05 Accord Hybrid. I LOVE the HAH!!! My hondas have all been extremely reliable and excellent quality. I normally do not buy extended warranties, but because of the new technology, I did get one with this new car. I got the warranty through a honda dealer on the internet because they offered it for much cheaper than my dealership did. I would definitely have no apprehension about buying anything made by Honda, whether it is the insight, the HAH or any other model they make. I take my car to the dealership for maintenance and they take care of any little problems I'm having (such as unusual noises or things I think might not be right) and they look at it and fix it (if needed) for free. The only thing I have to pay for is the regular maintenance. My extended warranty is for 6 years/120,000 miles (I drive about 30,000 miles a year, so I needed more mileage than time) and it cost $1000. My dealer offered the same for $1495.

Good luck on your decision, I can't specifically recommend the Insight since I've never driven one, but I can definitely recommend Hondas! You can't get much better quality without buying a luxury brand. My husband drives a decked-out, heavy duty Ford truck and he loves the quality of my honda too.
    "Many people buy the hybrids to cut down on emissions. "

True, heck I even though about riding a bicyle to work 22 miles each way on the freeway to save gas and cut-down emissions!

Okay quick tell the diffenrenc between using public transporation, eliminating unecessary car trips, bunch trips togehter with your existing car and buyiny a PZEV rated new car.

Or better yet, I am going to get a Ethanol only car like the President recommned, because even the President is aware of the current hybrid battery problems.

Okay the final test without looking, Name two of the vehicle emissions that PZEV reduces? Betcha, less than 1 out of 5 Prius drivers could tell you :) Everyone can talk green, but how many are really committed and use a push mower on their yards ?

Cheers Drive responsible and emit less!

MidCow
    Better yet, I replaced my lawn with gravel. Water too expensive and the rabbits eat it as fast as I grow it. I save the water for my citrus trees. And the coyotes are eating the tangerines, oranges and lemons. The coyotes all joined PETA and are now VEGANS. They just cannot bring themselves to kill a rabbit. This state is a mess.
    MidCow: What is it with you and the battery thing? Did the Energizer Bunny scare you when you were a baby? :-)

Battery recycling is NOT that big a deal. Trust me, companies recycle far nastier stuff than the nastiest of batteries.

I agree that using non-toxic substance is preferable, but recycling toxic substances is not an evil, in itself.
    bigdave2,

I have no idea what you are talking about ??

You completley missed the point of my response to gagrice.

Un satarized the thread simplfied was:

gagprice: people by hybrids to reduce emissions
    Midcow: No, if so they would take other more significant emission reducing actions.

Batteries? I have no problem with them, experiment with them as a kid prior to EE degree. Understand them well, their cost and limits.

Charge running down ....,

MidCow
    I guess I misinterp'd your comment, "because even the President is aware of the current hybrid battery problems."

sorry for the misunderstanding

I was thinking of replacing my car battery with gravel. Gagrice is a genius.

:-)
    Battery recycling is NOT that big a deal.

Good, where can I get my laptop Li-ion batteries recycled or refurbished? I would like to think a $140 battery is good for more than a year and a half.
    George Bush urged the ban of Human-Animal Hybrids.

Hybrid Accords are fine. :)

What changed the EPA ratings on the 06 HAH?
    Weight maybe? Perhaps now we know why Honda did not include a spare tire or moonroof on the '05 HAH.
    Just to get real again- My dealer has 1 '06 HAH being delivered next week, and they think mine will be here within 4-6 weeks. Consumer Reports found their "real-time" gas mileage in the '05 HAH to be 18/37 with an average of 25. So, it looks like the estimates for the '06 model may be a little more realistic, and the estimates for the '05 model were possibly inflated. My wife has a '06 Civic Hybrid and lucky to get 38mpg in the winter in Chicago (rated 49/51). It seems to me that the EPA MPG estimates must be based on best-case scenario with southern California weather.
    On Jan 31st, Honda posted a news release about the '06 HAH; then over the last few days, they removed the news release from the website. What is up?
  • tantraanandtantraanand Member Posts: 1
    Do HybridCars Yield the MPG they are Supposed to?

I bought a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid in December. The car was supposed to give 29 MPG in the city and 37 on highways. I have driven it more than 1000 miles, about half of which were on highways, and the average that I have got is a MEASLY 18, repeat, EIGHTEEN, miles a gallon. I feel cheated and angry. I was driving a 2.8 L 1998 Audi A4 Avant Quattro earlier, and it was giving me 20 miles a gallon.

I called the dealer who discouraged me from bringing the car in for a check and suggested I call Honda Customer Service. Honda claims that the MPG that was posted on the sticker was estimated by EPA, and they are not responsible for it. They also said that about one third of hybrid owners never get the MPG that EPA estimates. If I had known about this, I would never have bought this car.

I would very much like to invite other hybrid owners to share their experience with me.

Thank you very much
  • cleviclevi Member Posts: 6
    I have had the same experience althouh not as bad as yours. I am getting about 24MPG with very consevative driving technique and about 30% highway driving. The IMA is intermittant and does not work at all during warmup. My dealler is really trying and is not giving me a song and dance but can find nothing wrong with the car.
    I have taken it in twice with not improvement and will probably get a lemon law attorney involved if something isn't done. I aaahave contacted other owners on other web sites and would like to get enough people together to get some action on this problem from Honda. I know they discourage sending email addresses on this web site, but if enough people respond to this I will do so and maybe get some action going.
    Cliff
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Ever since the Accord Hybrid came on the market, every single published review made it absolutely clear that the vehicle was not a fuel miser. Its claim to fame was superior accelleration, with cleaner exhaust and slightly improved mileage than the gas-only Accord.

Anyone who has read anything about cars for the last quarter century should know by now that the window sticker mileage figures of ALL CARS are virtually fiction. None reflect actual driver's on-the-road results since they are tested on an indoor dynamometer (a sort of treadmill) under tightly controlled conditions.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml
  • jaxflygirljaxflygirl Member Posts: 25
    hi
    i have had my 05 HAH since mid october. I have about 6,000 miles on it. I average in warm weather ( i live in N. Florida) around 32mpg on average per tank. i drive very conservatively, 1/2 highway, 1/2 city. I have noticed that this week since we have had cold weather (30's at night, 50's day) that my mpg has gone down. according to the gage it has been saying now 28 avg. I am excited to see the new hybrid camry when it comes out, think I may trade if I like it, i think it's a 4 cyl. and should get better MPG's. Like you, I thought I would get more than the posted 29/37 because of my conservative driving so yes I am disappointed also. Don't think I've ever gotten 37 (for very long) except when coasting. let me know if you decide to pursue your action w/ honda.
    thanks

good luck
  • jaxflygirljaxflygirl Member Posts: 25
    my main complaint w/ my 05 HAH is the cheap stereo system. I miss my bose system that was in my Maxima! Does anyone think new speakers would help??
    he said she said HAH review

We're both in favor of hybrids, on paper. But as companies and consumers get a reality check on just how much -- or how little -- they help conserve fuel and the costly price you pay as you struggle toward that goal, it's often getting harder and harder to argue in their favor.
  • mrmilesmrmiles Member Posts: 8
    This is the worst time of year to get a HAH and expect to get sticker-like mileage. I got mine last March, and all summer I was in the 38 range routinely with mixed open highway and stop-and-go driving. Mileage for my HAH is really temperature-sensitive. As soon as gas formulations changed for winter and the temperature went down, it's tough to keep it in the 30s. Go back in this forum a few months and there's discussion about it.
    Closing in on 30k miles, the car has been trouble-free. Other than an IMA software upgrade, just routine maintenance. The bad news is that my wife now has the longer commute, so I rarely get to drive it!
  • imlkimlk Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 Honda Accord after driving Toyota Camrys for 20 years, and I am not happy. I was determined to get a hybrid, and the Camry wasn't available yet. I was hasty and after my car was totaled maybe in a fog. I swear I test drove the car but I don't remember it having such a rough uncomfortable ride. Now I find that it doesn't get great mileage {I'm averaging 24mpg. The V6 engine sort of guarantees poor mileage. I paid $10,000 more than I would have for a 2006 Camry (non-hybrid)and have frills I don't need that come standard on the hybrid Accord. The dealer took some air out of the tires to soften the ride (it helped but not much} so that also cuts mileage. I guess some people like to feel every pebble in the road, beats me why. It is roomy and I'm being seduced by the satellite radio (3 months free). I was ready to sell it the first week. I have to wait a year... but since I'm not getting use to bumping along... I will sell it, if I can. So far I've found someone with a no frills 2006 Accord who hates the bumpy ride... but others think its fine. Go figure!