Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrid Honda Accord

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Heard you the first 2 times, didn't need to post 3 times. :P They are now saying that the addional price of a hybrid will most likely never be justified. Buy a good old American car and be done with it and keep the profits in this country. Your children and mine will thank you for it someday.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    You are going to be an unhappy camper :cry: , I can tell.

Why in the world wouldn't a staunch die-hard Camry owner, like you, not wait for the 2007 Hybrid Camry.

It sounds like you didn't do enough reasearch for your wants and needs and apparently made the wrong, hasty decision for you.

I am sure there are dozens,if not hundreds of forum participatns that would gladly relieve you of your problem and gladly buy it.

LOL,

MidCow

P.S.- I decided a long, long time time ago that the sacrifice to own a hybrid just wasn't worth it to me!!!!
  • alecs06hahalecs06hah Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have just taken delivery of my 06 HAH with Navi. I like it pretty well. I have a couple of questions....

Can anyone recommend strategies on getting the most out of IMA? Or at least provide a description of what the Honda engineers are thinking? Here's what I am experiencing:
    I start out driving (winter in MA), it drives like a normal gas engine car. After about 2 miles or so, I notice that the CHRG light starts to come on, indicating some regen braking is occuring. After a few more minutes, the ECO light comes on at light throttle. So far, so good. Then it's really a guessing game as to how throttle position will affect whether I get any assist. Sometimes, I am able to maintain ECO and assist at the same time for several seconds of driving. Other times, the same input seems to result in no assist, no ECO - i.e. immediately switches back into regular V6 mode. Very rarely, I get assist without ECO. Sometimes, the assist meter pegs quickly, and then immediately goes off. Like a current limit was reached which causes the electric motor to shut off??

I have to admit: A) I am an engineer, and B) I drove my first HEV in 1993, when I was on a team at school that designed, built and raced HEVs in a competition against other universities. So I know too much about how this works to just sit back and drive. But I figured that some of you might be able to tell me if what I am seeing in the IMA system is typical of your experience, or if something is wrong. What's the best approach to maximizing assist?

Today, I finally got the battery meter to be totally full. In this case, it seems like the regen stops working once you've filled the battery, which makes sense. But even with a totally full battery, not much luck at getting assist to stay on.

Another thing, which I am trying to decide whether to take back to the dealer: Sometimes, I get a harsh vibration from the powertrain, feel it in the steering wheel, too. Conditions for this to happen are generally ECO, some level of assist, and speeds around 30 mph. Also seems to be related to gear - the tach is usually between 1000 and 1500 rpm. It feels like in a stick shift car if you accidentally try to start in 3rd gear instead of 1st. But the trans is reluctant to downshift. It's hard to replicate this condition - sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Any ideas??

Finally, what's your experience with dealer service on the HAH? I am fearful that there is no one at the dealer who will understand the workings of the HAH, and for a problem like I describe above, will say that nothing's the matter. This may be totally unfounded, I haven't tried the dealer service dept yet.

Anyway, thanks for reading this long ramble. Hope you made it through to the end.

p.s. getting about 32mpg hwy at 70+mph, and 28 overall in mixed city/hwy. we'll see how it goes when spring comes.

Alec
  • cal_calcal_cal Member Posts: 39
    To keep the ECO on longer, try running at constant load rather than constant speed. In other words, dont use cruise control (constant speed). Instead, keep steady pressure on the accelerator once the ECO comes on. Of course, when you do this, your speed will decrease on an up-slope and increase on a down-slope.

I too get the vibration in the powertrain when the cylinders deactivate or when CHRG comes on. It is an annoyance but that is Honda engineering for you.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I swear I test drove the car but I don't remember it having such a rough uncomfortable ride

I have driven five Accords in my life (1996 LX, 2002 LX, 2003 EX, 2005 EX, 2006 EX) and all ride firmer than their Camry equivalent (although I've only driven a 1998 and 2005 Camry). They DO have much sharper handling characteristics, with less float and bob on the interstate. It is DEFINITELY a choice between sport and plush when it comes to choosing an Accord vs. a Camry. I'm sorry you didn't realize the sporting nature of the Accord before you bought it, but like midcow said, there are MANY buyers who will take the Accord off of your hands.

SIDEBAR: I recently returned from a 600 mile trip in my dad's 2005 Accord EX I-4; one tank of gas I got 40mpg at 78MPH cruise control. The other I got 33 mpg at 90-95 MPH (yes, too fast, but when stomach problems are involved (need I go on) you'll go as fast as necessary).

So far I'm averaging 29mpg in city driving (4 miles interstate & 11 miles city at 35mph) in my 2006 Accord EX I-4. Can't complain.
  • citywolfcitywolf Member Posts: 14
    Dear Alec,

I have had my '06 HAH for 4 weeks now and am really enjoying it. I read a review that says that the variable cylinder management system causes so much vibration that the car has specialized "active" engine mounts to try to dampen the vibrations. Anyway, I am doing fairly well gas mileage wise with the "pulse and glide" method. Just keep your Nav on "Trip Computer" mode and then the engineer in you can fiddle around till you get the best mileage. :)
  • timko613timko613 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone almost lost control of their hybrid while cruising along the road on a clear day and if so, did you ever find out why?
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    You guys must be kidding. I have owned for than 12 Accord, Civic and Honda motorcyles. The HAH is the best in every way. I plan to buy a '06 HAH too. My current '05 HAH is a BLAST.
    Yes, the car needed a new HMI upgrade. Hey veit since you like Honda, go drive a S2000 ;) They are really really nice.

Double Sixes,

MidCow
  • run_n_laterun_n_late Member Posts: 5
    I have been looking into getting a HAH since 2005 model first came out. I was kind of taken back by the no spare tire thing. I traded a Audi A4 Q that I really liked but the whole navi option with voice control is really nice and although the Audi interior make looks better it does not function no were as good. The ride is smoother that my audi but has enough feed back to make you feel the road I love it. The guy that said this is to bumpy must like cars with no feel to them like to old Lincoln and Cadillacs.
    It was weight thing. They added the spare for 2006 and man did it drop the mpg:

For 2006 the Accord Hybrid also picks up stability control and a temporary spare tire in place of last year's flat-fix kit. Additionally, the Hybrid model's fuel economy rating drops from 29 city/37 highway to 25/34. Finally, all models get a smart maintenance system and daytime running lamps.

If you are getting it for low TCO, you would be much better off with a 4CYL 5-speed.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A financial magazine reporter aims to interview someone who has purchased a hybrid and would like to discuss why you chose buying a hybrid and if you're happy with your vehicle. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com before Wednesday, March 15 at 5 PM EST with your daytime/weekend contact info.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fpressfpress Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my 06 HAH at the beginning of March. I'm experiencing much the same as you describe plus my mileage has been horrible even tho I live in DC where the temps can't be as cold as MA. So far, I've had virtually no highway driving - the mileage did seem to creep up on Rock Creek Parkway last nite but that was a 10 min. drive so who really knows. My real problem is that if I use the car to commute - my commute is less than 2 miles - the mileage continually drops and on the 1st tank of gas I averaged about 15 mpg - my '94 Suburban w/110,000 miles does better. Maybe its because the car doesn't have time to warm up but it is frustrating. The dealer says things should get better after my first oil change at 3500 miles. I also have a Ford Escape Hybrid which does MUCH better on mpg - right from start-up. So.....

Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions, etc.
  • plethysmoplethysmo Member Posts: 42
    You are driving 4 miles round trip in your commute to work.
    If gas is $2.80, that is 70 cents a day at 16 mpg and 35 cents per day at 32 mpg. This should not be an issue. For your commute, an all-electric vehicle or bicycle would seem more appropriate than an HAH.
  • fpressfpress Member Posts: 2
    True but (a) I'm lazy, and (b) more importantly, I really bought the HAH for my wife - I've just been monopolizing it 'cause its new. So, maybe when it gets longer drive-time w/her, the mpg will be more akin to what is expected.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "So, maybe when it gets longer drive-time w/her, the mpg will be more akin to what is expected."

Not likely at those trip distances. The hybrids do very poorly on extremely short trips. I'm not sure anyone knows for sure why this is true, but persionally I think that there is not sufficient time for the emissions systems to warm up; the engine is running constantly to try and heat up the catalytic converter.
  • fapfap Member Posts: 12
    I know my Escape Hybrid takes a few minutes to "kick in" but not nearly as long as the HAH. I haven't done enough comparison driving to know but my sense is that the Toyota technology (which is what the Escape is based on) is "more green" than Hondas. I can leave my neighborhood and never kick into gas mode until I hit the primary roads because if I stay below 20 mph, I never get out of electric mode. I use the Escape mostly to travel back and forth to Western Maryland - which is a ride thru mountainous country - and I get 28 - 30 going out and 30ish+ coming home (downhill coming home). I know that the Honda has the eco mode where, once you hit cruising speed, the 6 cylinders shut down to 3 - but I haven't gotten there yet.

And it's funny how none of the dealers or service depts acknowledge how badly hybrids do in cold weather as opposed to warm. ("Really? I haven't heard that.")

Well, in any event, the HAH is nicely appointed and fun to drive - especially with the nav system - which I love but which my wife detests. (She detests all nav systems - she loves maps and navigating herself from point a to point b.)
  • timko613timko613 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response to my enquiry - but what is an HMI upgrade?
    timko613
    So I finally got onto the interstate and the mpg rose nicely until I hit some stop and go traffic - then it dropped within a few minutes from 28 mpg to 23 mpg and when I got back up to speed it never got beyond 25 mpg.

Is this normal?
  • run_n_laterun_n_late Member Posts: 5
    If you were looking for a hybrid to save tones of gas then a Prius is what you are looking for. It and other hybrids can function off of only battery power. The HAH is kind of the muscle cars of hybrids its faster has more torque and uses more gas but it also burns less gas that the average 255hp V6. I drive 80miles a day highway and have had mine for 2 weeks I get around 30mpg. The HAH likes to cruse at highway speeds on 3 cylinders and that were you will see the most savings.
    What is "HMI"?
    I can't figure out whether teh VSA is on or off. Does it always come on and then you have to manually turn it off using the "off" button? And, if you do, does it automatically come on the next time you start the ignition? I pushed the off button and the idiot light icon (triangle w/exclamation point) came on but the next time I started the ignition the idiot light didn't come on. So I have no idea whether it is on or off - especially when the idiot light is on. :confuse: The manual is no help in answering this question. Can someone out there answer it?

Thanks.
    Your manual will tell you the answer, but I'll do it anyway. The VSA is always on, and comes on everytime you start the car. It is only off if you PRESS the button and make the little yellow triangle light up.:

Triangle light on = VSA OFF
    Triangle light off= VSA ON normally

If you have VSA off (light on) when you turn the vehicle off, it will come ON the with the next crank of the car. You must manually turn the VSA off (turning the light on) every time you start the car. Otherwise, VSA will be on normal operation (no light).
    Thank you for the clarification. I did look at the manual but I'm illiterate when it comes to technical things (like on and off switched :D)
    You are very welcome. Just leave the light off (VSA on) at all times; there's no real need to turn the system off.
    I have an '06 HAH. The reset button (stalk), which is also the dimmer switch for the dashboard lights sometimes lights up itself and then flickers. This happens during daytime driving as well as with the headlignts on for nighttime. I've search the manual for this but cannot find anything.

Can someone tell me - is it always supposed to be lit and if not, what does the flickering mean.
    My '06 HAH is barely 2 months old and has about 1500+ or - miles. I took my first "road trip" this weekend from Washington DC to Ann Arbor, MI and back. I noticed that the electirc motor assist rarely kicks in and when it does it assists for - at the most - 5 seconds (usually much less). Sometimes it kicks in when going up hills and at other times, on flat or downhill roads. It seems completely random to me. And, after a short time of electric motor use, the battery meter (which seems to hold at a steady 4 bars tho'occasionally it goes all the way up to full) drops one or two bars.

Is all this normal? :confuse:
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Don't own one but would think that being most of your driving was on the highway that the electric motor wouldn't kick in at all.
    Well it certainly doesn't kick in much in the City.
  • rhcolerhcole Member Posts: 5
    I bought a remainder '05 Accord Hybrid last weekend. I almost didn't buy because I read so much negative feedback about mileage on this site.

After not quite a week, the Accord is obliterating the MPG I was getting on my Infiniti. This is my personal reference point, because the Honda is just slightly less comfortable, responsive, and luxurious when compared to my I35. I didn't want to sacrifice a nice ride for better mileage if I could help it. I gather I am exactly the audience that the Accord was intended for. The only genuine downgrade is the soundsystem, which is spectacular on the Infiniti and good on the Accord.

So, it looks like I am going to get the mileage of a 4 cylinder car in a 6 cylinder configuration. Assuming the car holds up, I couldn't be happier.
    I went on a long trip yesterday, driving all over SF Bay Area freeways, streets, and back roads. My electric motor assist suddenly started kicking in frequently, on hills, sharp turns, and rapid accelerations. It seemed to hardly do anything before. I read somewhere that somebody thinks that the car needs a breaking-in period. Could this be true? WHY would this be true?

Up to this point, I had only about 400 miles on the new car. Now it's over 700.
  • greatvet1greatvet1 Member Posts: 11
    I have had my '05 HAH since October of '05 and found that at first I was averaging 29mpg between long, fast commutes on the highway and lots of in-town driving while in the area I work at. It seems with every oil change (every 5,000 miles, and I have 17,000 on the car now) I have seen an improvement in the mpg. My husband took the car on a cross-country trip from TX to FL and found that ECO drive wouldn't kick in over 81mph, so he left the cruise at 81 and got 33+mpg the entire trip! I'm now averaging 32-33 with my combined driving of highway and city. My old V6 accord would average 22mpg typically. I drove home the other day directly from filling up on the highway, and went the speed limit with the aid of cruise control (hard for me to do in this car, it's so easy to go fast and fun to drive!) and got 45mpg!!! I continue to love and be amazed by this car. Looking forward to seeing if Acura can get into the hybrid market!
  • hjulicherhjulicher Member Posts: 8
    At my local dealer, there are still 4 05 HAH available. I'm an educated consumer, and I understand that if there are vehicles available from the last year, that means that there is a catch because consumers didn't purhcase them all. Whether it be for the MSRP price or the fact that people who can spend ~30G on a car don't look at Honda Sedans. Regardless, I'm curious as to what owners think about their gas mileage and their accord hybrids?

If it's really bad in city driving, is it worse than a conventional Accord V6? If it's bad at highway driving too, is it still better than a V6? The Accord V6 is rated at 30mpg highway, so I would assume that the Hybrid should get equal to the conventional V6 since that's what it' derived off of.

Those with the 05 model? Is it possible to fit a full size spare in the trunk, under the compartment? The fact that there is no spare doesn't concern me, but I would nevertheless like to put one in, Is there room?

If I can purchase the 05 for around $24.5-25.5k Is this a good price? Or should I offer lower?

All feedback is very much appreciated.

BTW, I was doing some number crunching, and I agree with eurobrands that diesel is a much better temporary gas alternative. They have the experience in europe to say, where as the [non-permissible content removed] only introduced Hybrid sytems 8 years ago.

In germany, i had a rental car BMW 318d. Granted, it was a 1.8 litre that had I think made 128hp, but more torque than horsepower. The car averaged 5.5l/100km at 130kmh (81MPH) or an amazing 6.6l/100km at 170kmh+ (112MPH+) The BMW is heavy too, but it had good passing power, and I felt that it was very nice car.

The Honda Accord Hybrid which is also heavy and bigger than a 3 series performs worse. If at highway speeds, (lets say 80mph) the car earns a supposedly 37mpg, that means it uses 6.38l/100km. Additionally, it's averages worse economy in the city, which means the diesel is a better alternative in my opinion, but as the Jetta TDI is underpowered and equally as expensive as the Hybrid, yet the hybrid is a honda, and has many more bells and whistles, I feel that in the current US market, the HAH is best alternative. Giving improved performance over a traditional Accord V6, yet earning at least equal gas milleage.

If Gas milleage is only equal between traditional and hybrid models, why go for the Hybrid? If price is the same, ~$25000 and you get improved performance, better warranty, than why not?

Do 05 models have heated side mirrors? :D
    Hjulicher,

I purchased the last '05 Accord Hybrid from a dealer about 3 weeks ago. The best price I could get was slightly under $27k. The dealer turned down lower offers.

See my above posts. I love the car, it's fast when I need it with very good gas mileage. Under good conditions, my car averages about the same MPG as a regular Civic. Under poor conditions, it averages in the low to mid 20's. A lot of it will depend on how you drive the car. The worst scenerio is bumper-to-bumper traffic in cold weather on short trips. You won't even get the benefits of the auto shut-off under such conditions, and will get somewhere around 16 MPG.

On the other hand, going downhill in an open stretch of smooth road when the car is warmed up can average between 50 - 80 MPG. So a few miles of that kind of driving makes up for a lot of shorter choppy driving.
    As for '05 HAH:

- No heated mirror.

- MPG is 29 - 38. Long trips on highways give better MPG. I feel OK with its MPG.

- Trunk is small and cannot accomodate a full-size spare tire. But a donut tire is OK. I am planning to buy a donut spare tire soon as soon as Honda dealers sell it.

- Unfortunately, for some reasons my '05 HAH leaked some engine oil. The dealer had to replace some engine parts. It works OK now. No charge. (Extended) warranty was rescheduled 36 months/ 36K miles since the date of repair.

- This is a high-performance car with less fuel consumption for sure.

- I plan to buy a '06 or '07 HAH because my son (a college-bound freshman) is going to snatch it away as his reward even though he has been playing "violent combat" computer games more than he's been studying. But he got accepted in a top 5% college so he has every reasons to force me keeping my promise.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I think the 06s are better since they use one of my favorite "safety" features, The mirror mounted turn signals. They're from the tsx and boy do they look cool!! and safe :). Congrats to your son! :):)
    Your son gets an almost new car!!!? Wow, I wish my parents were like that. I got into a top 5% University, and I still don't have a car, and I'm going into my junior year. Anyways, every family is different.

The thing is, the car is for my mother, and I don't think she would buy a regular V6 Accord, even if gas was cheaper, I think she's going for the hybrid because it will save her fuel, but probably not. We have two Accord LX's right now, and they're really fuel efficient, especially on long routes like Detroit to Philly, which is approx. 600 miles, the 99 Accord LX only uses 1.5 tanks (if that). Hopefully, the Accord Hybrid can do it on one tank. :)
    Hi Autoboy 16:

The '06 HAH has a spare tire, turning signals on 2 side mirrors, a moonroof... My next purchase will be another HAH probably not the Camry hybrid. I will test drive the Camry hybrid '07 soon. I like my '05 HAH more than the Acura TL in term of fuel saving. Now, driving 4 Accords ( HAH, V6 Accord '02, Accord V6 '03 and '95) I recognize some interesting differences. The '02 Accord V6 hesitates a little bit while accelerating. The acceleration of the '05 HAH is very impressive. My son's 2003 Accord V6 is also very good with 240 HP. Currently, my wife drives the '95 Accord at 220K miles, I drive the Accord V6 '02 while my 2 sons drive the '05 hybrid and the V6 '03 coupe.

All Honda models are fuel efficient. My oldest car 1995 Accord EX still runs with a newer engine. All parts on this '95 Accord EX are original except the master cylinder I just replaced at 222K miles. Sounds like I spend all my savings for purchasing Honda automobiles. Just cleaned up real good my 3 Accords last weekend in and out for over 2 hours.

Driving the '05 HAH at high speed on different road conditions I do appreciate Honda's engineering sophistication.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Question:

It appears to me that the Honda Accord Hybrid does NOT qualify for the "Clean Fuel" plate in the DC Metro area that the Prius, Civic Hybrid, Escape Hybrid, etc receive. Is this correct?
    I owned a 2002 Accord V6 before I bought a 2005 HAH and I can tell you that there is no comparison in the power or the mpg. My HAH gets 7-14mpg better than the V6 did, and has a lot more get-up-and-go! The engine is much quieter, and the luxury is very nice. I don't find the trunk as limiting as some people do, but don't know for sure if you could fit a full-size tire in there. I have the extended warranty through Honda, and it covers road-side assistance if I need it, which would include helping me with a flat tire. Believe it or not, even in Texas we use the seat heaters and love them! Okay, it's only 2-3 days a year I need them... but no heated mirrors. Don't need 'em down here anyway. I paid full MSRP in Oct '05, so $25k is a great price if you can get it for that. I like the '05 better anyway, better mpg, which is the big draw. My Accord V6 averaged 22mpg, and my HAH gets 33. That's equal driving terrain. I plan to be driving this car to 220k+ miles!
    Hope this helps!
  • ckinskieckinskie Member Posts: 5
    Our local dealer had four '05 HAH's on the lot today. Had them marked down to $25,898. I made an offer for $24.5K, the best he would come down to was $25K... as I walked out the door he agreed to my $24.5K. On my drive home today (40 miles almost all highway) I averaged 36.5 MPG. So far very happy with the purchase.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the forum and good show on holding the line on inflated car prices. Did they have any 2006 Accord Hybrids? I would have thought all the 2005 MY would be sold by now. Did you get the NAV model?
    What dealer did you go to? I'm in the detroit area, and a local dealer of ours also has 4 remaining Hybrids available from 2005.
    Congratulations! I'm sure you'll continue to be happy with your choice. It's a really fun car to drive! And the price you got is fantastic! I paid full sticker in October '05 because I didn't think dealing was an option. Instead I dealt with the price of my trade-in and got a very good deal on it. Ended up financing $16k and LOVE driving my little HAH.
    HMI = Human Machine Interface , i.e. driver error
    Williams Honda in Hampton Virginia... I had my car detailed there this afternoon and they still had 3 on the lot.
    They had one '06... seems most of the dealerships in the area have one or two of the '06 model. They didn't have any with NAV.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview current hybrid owners who purchased a hybrid within the past year or two. The reporter is wanting to know if you have been satisfied or not with the gas savings you’ve been receiving. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of your hybrid vehicle.

------------------

A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who are looking to purchase a hybrid vehicle and are looking at it from a financial standpoint, hoping to save money from the high cost of fuel. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the hybrid vehicle you are considering.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Check our latest long term road test blog on the HAH:

Honda Accord Hybrid's Eco Mode
  • citywolfcitywolf Member Posts: 14
    The IRS announced on July 12th that the '06 HAH will now qualify for an increased tax credit ($1300) if the car has the "Calibration Control Update" to improve gas mileage. I went to my dealer for the udate and was told that my '06 HAH will be recalled for the update, but has not been recalled yet. I will get the update in the next 1-2 weeks. Has anyone had the update yet, and if so, how much better is your gas mileage?