Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrid Honda Accord

midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
I could not find any discussion about the upcoming Hybrid Honda Accord

Quoted from Janaury 07, 2004 article: http://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/2004_january/07/1618.asp

Later this year, although not in all markets, Honda will introduce its third petrol/electric hybrid model, following on from the Insight and the Civic IMA. Using the same Integrated Motor Assist technology as the Civic, the US-market Accord V6 will feature not only a hybrid powertrain but also Variable Cylinder Management, which cuts out one bank of cylinders in light-load conditions.

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We've also got a summary page in the Edmunds.com Future Vehicles section, which you can find here.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    high MPG, high performance... and an Accord. WHAT A KILLER COMBO!
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Detroit is so far behind in the hybrid race it's rediculous. It doesn't matter if Lutz thinks that hybrid systems on high-mileage cars is pointless, give the people what they want.

However, DoD is a step in the right direction. No battery to worry about, and it won't need to switch between electric and engine. (I've heard it's quite noticeable in the Prius when the real engine kicks in.) Of course if Honda/Toyota can make the power transfer smoother, as well as significantly lower the cost of the battery....
  • slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    While the idea of an Accord V6 hybrid is enticing, if we assume the hybrid will be at least 2 or 3 thousand dollars more than the traditional Accord, it's unlikely to save anyone significant amounts of money on gas. It is obviously better for the environment, but I don't think the majority of us choose environment over our pocketbooks. More power to those of us who do, but I think for now the majority of the public will choose to save money by choosing the less expensive, "traditional" Accord models. Hopefully, someday the costs of owning a hybrid will be less than owning a "traditional" Accord, but I don't think we are there yet.
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    I would choose a hybrid version. So would a lot of people I've discussed this with. But I guess it's a luxury to be able to make that choice. I understand that a lot of people wouldn't or couldn't for practical reasons.

I considered hybrids before buying my Accord, but I wasn't comfortable buying a compact car (Hybrid Civic or Prius) for safety reasons. I know that the Civic has good safety ratings for its class, but I'm too paranoid to be in such a small car. I'm therefore very interested in a possible Accord hybrid, since it's a bit larger.

My interest doesn't really have much to do with potential gas savings. It's more just because it seems like a good environmental initiative to support.
  • lelandhendrixlelandhendrix Member Posts: 240
    I agree fully. I would seriously consider it as well. I even thought about the Prius b/c of the technology, but I really wanted an Accord.

Additionally, if the story unfolds as planned, the hybrid Accord will have a significant performance increase over the current v6, likely due to the tremendous torque available in the electric motors. It should leap off the line dramatically, and also have the highway poise that the current v6 is lauded for.
    I really want an Accord, but I'm holding out for the Hybrid to see what's it's like. If it's not what I want, I'll just run to Saab, Volvo, Lexus or preferably Acura (just stepping up into the next model line, from Accord to Civic to Odyssey and now to Acura, probably)
  • slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    As a follow-up to my original post, I wasn't saying that no one would want the hybrid. I simply was stating what I feel is the reality--that the majority of Accord buyers are on a budget and thus probably won't opt for the hybrid. There is currently a Honda Civic hybrid, and as far as I know, most people don't spend the extra thousands of dollars. In other words, I don't see the hybrids dominating the market until the extra cost comes down. True, many of us that read these boards are probably well-educated and pro-environment, but if pro-environment means more expensive, then that excludes the statistical majority.
    will come down as hybrids become mass produced in higher numbers. Prius production was very low for the Classic version but for the new hatchback demand is through the roof and production has been increased.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    I really like the idea of a hybrid Accord. Anyone know if the U.S. version will be a coupe or sedan and if the rear seat back(s) will fold down ? Hopefull in Houston http://www.rfruth.net
  • akingsfanakingsfan Member Posts: 14
    I just read this excerpt from consumerguide.com re: the Hybrid Accord:

"Honda has scotched rumors of a hybrid powertrain option for Accord, saying likely sales don't justify the expense." (Updated 1/27/04)

Has anyone else heard that Honda may scrap their plans for this??? Just curious...
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    this link is still on honda's official website so i would say consumer guide needs to correct their info.

http://www.hondacars.com/info/news/article.asp?ArticleID=20040105- 27129&Category=Accord
  • hobbes52hobbes52 Member Posts: 1
    I've been searching for a sedan lately, and have test driven the new Prius and just yesterday, the new 4 cyl. Accord EX-L. They are both remarkable cars, and my hat is off to both Toyota and Honda for bringing them to fruition!
         Here in Detroit, the Big 3's answer to everything is to give it more horsepower ["Hey, put a hemi in it, man!"]. Is it any wonder that we can't wean our country off foreign oil, and wouldn't every American rather give more of their hard earned dollars to the oil companies, rather than spend them on frivilous things such as food, clothing, housing, and their children?
         To theo2709 I have to say that you must drive a Prius if you can find a dealer that has one to test drive. You'll probably find, as I did, that the switch from the electric motor to the gas engine is unnoticeable and amazingly quiet, smooth, and quick!
         hmurphy, you should see the safety featurs in the 2004 Prius. ABS, stability control, full side curtain airbags, and more. This is now a mid-sized car; it's outgrown it's compact beginnings.
         I think slawenda is right about the likely cost of the hybrid Accord. A person would have to keep it a long time to recoup the purchase price, but with the rising cost of gas [it just took a big jump this week in the metro Detroit area], that time is likely to come down.
         Kudos to Toyota, but a hybrid Accord with leather and XM Satellite Radio is the working man's luxury car in my opinion!
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    Hobbes52 - good post. While reading your thoughts the following occurred to me. A more costly, hybrid version of the Accord will handicapped by a comparison to the current, non-electric model. This is already happening with the hybrid Civic.

It is only natural to calculate how many miles you will have to drive to make up the difference in cost for the hybrid vehicle. Of course this will depend on the mileage difference between the two vehicles and the price of gas. Correct me if I am wrong, but with the Civic this equates to somewhere around 60-75K at current gas prices. So the issue then becomes how long you plan on keeping the car (lease or buy) and the long term reliability of the electric components (a pretty big concern in my mind).

The Prius has the advantage of having no non-electric counter-part for comparison. It stands alone as the modern marvel of technology that it is AND it costs about the same as the Accord. Granted it is smaller, slower and is not available in a manual transmission (I understand this is not important to most but this is what swayed my decision in favor of the '03 Accord over Camry), but it makes up for this with its edgy styling and eco-coolness.

In order for a hybrid Accord to be successful, Honda must keep the cost down or gas prices will have to increase dramatically. Just my opinion.
    A hybrid version of the Accord would be handicapped compared to a regular gas only Accord ? The way I look at it 20 grand gets a 20 th century Accord or for a few more grand can get a 21 st century vehicle or if in money saving mode get a used Accord and make any kind of new one look like a rip-off. rfruth
    I'm getting a car that's two decades ahead of Detroit. Why should I NOT buy a Hybrid Accord in lieu of a Saab 9-3, Infiniti I35 or Volvo S40?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Well if you want your 4 door to be an above average handling sedan, those would be better choices. If you value space and the hybrid feature a lot, then the Accord hybrid would be your best bet obviously.
    That seems like the next step, before we have cars that don't rely on gas at all.

It's difficult to imagine, but it seems like the way of the future.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    The new car vs used car argument does not apply to this discussion. All I am saying is that unless the hybrid Accord offers more than better gas mileage at a higher sticker price, you will have a hard time convincing the American family car buyer to sign on the dotted line.

I drive an '03 EX-L with nav and it sure feels like a 21st century car to me. None of the cars I owned in the 20th century had voice controlled navigation systems. What are you getting for 'a few grand more' other than unproven reliability of new technology after the warrantee expires?
    From the rumors, better performance. The car is supposed to be decidedly quicker while getting better mileage.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    Carmakers know that oil supply is finite and volatile (no pun meant), especially those from countries who won't deal with the heavy issues surrounding it.

Japan, as a case in point, is both natural resource-starved and oil-dependent. It is now a master of peaceful survival, pulling rather than pushing us towards the compelling products they create.

Some success elements in promoting hybrid vehicles are evident in the Japan carmakers, aren't they ? First, their domestic situation demands it, and they are therefore likely to do a better job. Second, distribution channels from Japan to the rest of the world are in place.

Hybrids, in effect, are being test-marketed here by Japan. There's no urgent reason (yet) why we should buy them.

But remember how Japan carmakers got big in the US ? The oil embargo, and all its street-level difficulties, drove people to the fuel-efficient Japanese cars.

Given this scenario, while many of us won't get a hybrid car soon, it's good to know someone out there's got the product when we need it.
    Somewhat off-topic, but The Onion has a funny article about "anger-powered cars" in its latest issue:

http://www.theonion.com/4005/news1.html
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Luxury trim?

If it had some of the new Acura TL's high-tech options, that would be killer, like the DVD-A and the Bluetooth.

The NAV would be a meh.
    Accord EX with Leather.
  • cheapownercheapowner Member Posts: 47
    Toyota sold their Gen 1 hybrid technology to GM.

Domestic automaker don't need to spend big $$$ on R&D but improve Japanese outdated technology.
  • freakofgibraltfreakofgibralt Member Posts: 1
    The Japanese are way ahead of american automacers in all areas, including fuel cell vehicles. They are motivated by fuel efficiency and saving the environment. Americans are not concern with these things evidently. The fact is that soon all cars will be required to meet low emission standards, if not by the medical community then by the life insurance industry. Kiss my 45 mpg V6!
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    Those who consider hybrids 'green' vehicles should remember that at some point in time, all of those batteries are going to have to be replaced. Not very green.

Also, in addition to increased initial cost, you should also consider what will happen if your hybrid breaks down in the middle of nowhere. Who, outside of a Honda dealer, is going to be able to fix it? One day, hybrid technology may be as common as changing spark plugs today, but that is far into the future.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > at some point in time, all of those batteries are going
    > to have to be replaced. Not very green.

First, NiMH can be recycled. And we know it will be, since the Nickel inside is well worth salvaging afterward.

Second, the battery-pack is NOT likely to need replacing. Neither the Honda nor the Toyota designs cycle enough to equate to normal lifetime replacement. In fact, a Prius owner reached 209,000 miles with the original pack just fine (then he sold the car).

> if your hybrid breaks down in the middle of nowhere

Though you have a valid point, both Honda & Toyota make extremely reliable cars. So it is only a low risk, and even less if you don't travel to the middle of nowhere.

The question for you is: What will you do when gas climbs above $2 per gallon stays there? It will happen someday. And based on estimates, it will very likely occur within the lifetime of your next vehicle.

JOHN
    This is off the topic of the Accord hybrid, but I heard on NPR the other day that the natural gas Civic (the GX I believe) has the lowest emissions of any car (including the hybrids).

The worst was the diesel Volkswagon Tuareg.
    What comes out of the tailpipe is DIRTIER than a PZEV hybrid.

The reason GNC rates at the top is that the overall well-to-wheel emissions are lower.

JOHN
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    Why in the world would someone buy a hybrid with 209,000 miles on it? Unless Toyota bought it back for PR purposes.

And, if I'm afraid to drive to the middle of nowhere in my new hybrid, what's the point?

Lastly, what will I do when gas hits $2 or $3 or $4 a gallon? Pay it. I am sorry to say I am old enough to remember pumping gas for 28 cents a gallon, and telling friends that I'd never pay a dollar a gallon!

Like everyone else, I hope that technology gives us a good alternative to the internal combustion engine, but these hybrids aren't it, at least not for midsize sedans (in my opinion, of course). However, steps are being made in the right direction, and hopefully in my lifetime, we'll get there.
    If gas went to $3.33 a gallon, first, I'd stop thinking about buying a luxury car, and keep my Civic. I'd keep the Odyssey, but only for long highway trips. Then, I'd buy a Prius, Civic Hybrid, or Accord Hybrid, and use it as my daily driver. There. All planned out.
    > Why in the world would someone buy a hybrid with 209,000 miles
    > on it? Unless Toyota bought it back for PR purposes

Good guess, but not quite.

They bought it back for RESEARCH purposes. The data that battery-pack contained was quite valuable.

JOHN
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    People seem to be deriding the current system in the Civic Hybrid as inferior to the Toyota CVT and HSD design.

Is that really the case and will the Accord Hybrid use the Civic Hybrid design?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's stick to the Accord hybrid here... plenty of other existing discussions about hybrids in general.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

any word on how much $$$$ the Accord Hybrid will cost?
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Is the Accord Hybrid going to be an optional vehicle, or the only version of the Accord available?

Johnny
  • mwaddomwaddo Member Posts: 30
    First:

ramped1 asked "...what will happen if your hybrid breaks down in the middle of nowhere". Actually, what would happen? If something goes wrong with the electric part of the motor, can the car still run on its "regular" gas engine? I assume the regular gas engine could be repaired as any normal gas engine could be.

Second:

Does anyone think the Hybrid Accord will have any addition features the other Accords don't have? For example, do you think they will try to differentiate the models with HID's, Bluetooth, bigger wheels, etc. Does the Civic hybrid have any features not available on other Civics?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    The Civic Hybrid does have fancier chrome materials in the interior and it has 14 inch alloy wheels (EX has 15 inch alloys) and it has automatic climate control.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    I think the Hybrid Accord will be more of a top line Accord, along the lines of the 6-speed V6 Coupe with Nav. It will probably have few special featurs that the other Accords don't have, an extra charging battery gauge, probably a trip computer and they will probably add HIDs

Anything the current Prius has the Accord Hybrid will have because I think it's main drive will be to blow the Prius demand away by statisfying the main thing the Prius lacks, performance.

The other Accords should still be available and the price differential will make them still attractive to a slightly different audience.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Wow, those Japanese...gotta give them Kudos!!

Toyota is already on it's second generation Hybrid Synergy Drive and America's BIG 2 1/2 are making bigger V8s!!

Nissan is leasing the 2nd gen HSD from Toyota to put into their Altima in a couple of years, while Chevy is making a Series 4 3800 engine!!

Word is that Toyota will put the HSD technology into the Sequioia and Sienna and more cars soon. Heck, I'm soo excited for this new Accord!

Hmm, Chevy boasts that their 3500 V6 in the Malibu makes the most MPG in it's class. Interestingly, that engine is outdated, slightly rough on the edges, and makes -20 to 40HP below the imports. Now the 240HP Accord gets even more HP with Hybrid technology and better MPG to boot. Add that to one of the midsize segment's best interiors, Honda quality and reliability, and all that luxury and you've got an awesome car!
    I couldn't agree more, including your comparison of western vs. easter ideology.

I currently have a 2003 LX that I love very much, but I just got a promotion and the allure of this Hybrid may just warrant an upgrade.
    If it comes out at the right time, I may actually turn around on the way to the Lexus dealer and drive to the Honda dealer to buy one.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    does the 3500 in the malibu come from Honda? =oP

I know the new VUE has the Honda 3.5L v-6 that is tweaked down a bit...

I actually am very impressed with the Hybrid Honda... if it breaks down, it should be able to be repaired normally, the only problem would be the synergy drive where the dc motors couple with the transmission... I hear you will get the same(roughly) 3.0l engine but adding on the motors... 300HP would be great... hehe. guess ill just have to wait and see....
  • sebzx79sebzx79 Member Posts: 53
    NO the 3.5 in the malibu is not the Honda Motor.
    It is a bored out old 3.4 push rod motor.

THe 3.5 in the VUE is from honda and it is no tweaked down at all it is the same 250hp that you get in the MDX and the Pilot.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    tblazer,

Honda has already said the Accord Hybrid will be powered by the existing 3.0L V6.

I believe they have also released initial power specs of 270bhp.
  • webster7webster7 Member Posts: 4
    I currently own a 2001 Civic HX with CVT. Like
    the Mexicans who drool over new cars for a spot in their lives in ten years, I probably wont be able to afford a 2005 Accord Hybrid for six or seven years. I hope Honda includes Auto Heat Control, CVT(I'll never drive another transmission) and power everything. I think the mileage will depend a lot on how you drive the Accord Hybrid. Personally, I like good acceleration for around town and entering highways and I like forty MPG on a long trip. This new car sounds like my wish come true.
    The Accord Hybrid might be just the ticket for me but make mine with a manual gearbox and i'm in Houston so no auto heat anything please.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    i don't see a manual being offered with the hybrid accord. maybe a CVT though.
    According to Edmunds preview of the Accord Hybrid it will be similar in design to the system used in the Civic and Insight both of which are available with manuals but the bigger picture for me is how much might a V6 hybrid cost ? I could spend 35 K, it would hurt and to think I could have a tricked out Prius for 25 K, I better get used to the CVT idea cause my next motor vehicle will be a hybrid quite possibly with a CVT.