Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

will there be a new Dodge Intrepid?

setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
edited March 2014 in Dodge
does anyone know if there will be a new Intrepid coming out in the next few years? I think that they should change the rear styling so it mimics the Startus more than it does now. Then I think they should freshen up the styling a lot to show that it is modern, not an old relic. And also do a lot of work in the interior and add a hemi on the top model.

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,676
    the only thing I've heard that's "official" is that the Magnum is supposed to replace the Intrepid. Only problem, is the Magnum only comes as a wagon! While it's probably one of the coolest station wagons ever built, it's still a wagon, and that's not going to be enough to replace what was Mopar's top selling sedan.

My guess is that there's a Magnum sedan in the works. Also, I've heard rumors of a new Charger. So hopefully, something will materialize. I usually prefer Dodges to Chryslers, but also prefer sedans to wagons, so the way things are now, I'm kinda left out!
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    The Magnum is going to replace the Intrepid? Wow! My friends are HUGE Dodge fans (93 Ram, 99 Intrepid, and 2002 Stratus) and they are thinking of getting a Magnum next. The Ram & the Stratus are their daily drivers and they use the Intrepid mainly for driving to long distance place (which they do A LOT). The Ram is failing and they are probably going to make the Interpid and Stratus the daily drivers and buy the Magnum for their trips.

But I have to agree with you when you say you prefer sedans vs. wagons.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    There's a Magnum sedan coming. The only question is when. Meanwhile, there is the 300C to look at over at the Chrysler dealer's soon.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    It sure is a big difference from the old days when the same model of a car came in sedan, coupe, and wagon versions. Now only one style per model is the norm. Another big difference is the very limited choice of interiors available. Basically the manufacturers limit you to gray or tan. No longer can you get green, red, blue or whatever interiors you might wish. All in the name of cutting $$$

ES
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Well, Intrepids sell mostly to rentals at a loss, and have poor resale value. So, Chrysler isn't losing out anything.

A new Stratus with a bigger interior and new name would suffice for an Intrepid replacement.
    ...they'd have one model trying to fill the gap left by two. And besides, just about all domestic cars have poor resale value, so the Intrepid is neither better nor worse in that regard.

It might be a regional thing, but I don't see that many Intrepids used as rental cars. Around these parts, they'd usually use a Taurus or Century to fill the need for a rental car in that size range.
    One car to fill the gap left by two? May I introduce you to the Buick LaCrosse? Then again, I never saw much difference between Century and Regal to start with, other than the bucks.
    in that case it would work, since a Century has basically been an entry-level Regal since the two returned to the same body style for 1997. But there's a big difference between a Stratus and an Intrepid, in terms of size, room, performance, and price. They're completely different classes, and no one car could make an adequate substitute for the two.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    This really is a strange and risky business plan, to replace a sedan with a wagon. I suspect the Intrepid's true replacement will be something along the lines of that Charger concept presented a while back. I can't see DCX not having a full size sedan in the Dodge lineup, doesn't make sense. Look for the NY Autoshow for answers??

M
    Well, Dodge mostly sells trucks anyway, so the Magnum can be sold as a "truck", and buyers will look at them more closely.

I think the only buyers really upset are rental agencies, since they can't get cheap Intrepids and charge customers "full size" rates.
    that's popular among rental agencies around these parts is the Mercury Grand Marquis GS. About 2 years ago, one of my buddies, who has a '95, wanted to go look at some new cars, partly because he got one of those keys in the mail that, if it opened a box at the dealership, he'd win a new car. Anyway, naturally it didn't open the box, but he still wanted to test drive a new Grand Marquis. Well, we went around on the back lot, to try and find a GS to test drive...he couldn't afford an LS. I swear, every SINGLE one on that back lot was already spoken for, bought up by some rental agency!

As for the Intrepid, not replacing it with another sedan could be a fatal move. Why? Well, the Intrepid was a hot seller up until the last 2-3 years, when newer, larger designs started coming onto the market. There are plenty of owners of later editions of the first generation, as well as people like me, who have earlier editions of the 2nd generation. That's an awful lot of people who are going to be in the market for a new car soon, and if Dodge doesn't have something worthy of replacing the Intrepid, they're going to lose a lot of repeat customers.

As for "full-sized" rates, well hell, some companies consider the MALIBU a full-sized car. Compared to that, the Intrepid is a battlecruiser!
    Where were these "awful lot of people" the past few years? Intrepid sales declined badly, if they were loyal to the car, they would have bought one.
    the Intrepid was a hot seller for Chrysler until the last few years, when newer, more up-to-date cars came out. I think sales of the current-gen peaked in either 2000 or 2001. By the time '02 came around, there was a new Altima that grew up and was suddenly a worthy competitor in the family car market, and a new Camry. Chevy started piling the incentives on the Impala, much furhter than Chrysler could afford to do, and a new Accord came out for '03. Basically, the Intrepid was just starting to get old. 2002 really should have been its last year, but the LX cars kept getting delayed, so they had to keep building them in '03. And the '04 model year was severely truncated...I think the last one rolled off the assembly line back in September. So naturally sales are going to decline.

Also, like I said, a lot of people who bought new cars around 4-6 years ago aren't ready to trade yet. But they soon will be. But why would they trade in their current car for a new one that's basically the same damn thing? It would make sense if you were happy with your car but had high miles, and wanted to get a new one, but for the most part, the '98-01 fleet just isn't that old yet. Most people would probably just wait until the new models come out, so they can get something that's fresh.
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    oh yeah, there'll be another dodge intrepid, but it might come out under a different name. :P
    I'm betting on the Charger nameplate.

M
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    that would be nice.
    who works in the next county over from me, and he said their department put in an order for 60 new Magnums with the Hemi. That's all he knew about them though. He didn't know if they were wagons, or if there was going to be a sedan model. His current cruiser, surprisingly enough, is a 2004 Intrepid! I was surprised, considering that county uses mainly Crown Vics. He said that he and his cop buddies have raced his Intrepid against the Impala and Crown Vic, and according to him the 'Trep blows the other two away. The biggest problem he's had with the car has been the brakes. I think he said he goes through front rotors like every 5,000 miles!
    I just can't see there not being some type of Dodge sedan to replace the Intrepid. DCX can't afford to give up that segment! I'm so convinced something will be shown at the New York show.

M
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    we should remember that the Magnum is really just a sedan with a bigger trunk. If I were prone to "tilting at windmills", my own vote would have been to spend the money to make a new front drive platform for the Intrepid and carry it into the next generation. Updating the already fine 2.7 and 3.5 with variable valve timing and five speed automatics would have made for a formidible front drive car..
    According to unsubstansiated information. There will be a Charger LX car coming a year from now. That is the Intrepid replacement.

As for a new FWD car platform, Chrysler will use the new Galant for new Statuses and Sebrings in spring 2006.
    about the next Stratus/Sebring being Mitsubishi-based for awhile now, and in the past, that had me worried. While the Stratus/Sebring aren't the greatest cars in the world, I considered the Galant to be a big step down, at least comparing the base models of each that I've driven. The Galant looked nice at a quick glance, but in driving it just felt cheap, unrefined, and cramped. Again, not that the Stratus/Sebring are exactly winners here either (although I find them to be comfortable and roomy enough), but I still looked at the Galant as a step down.

It looks like Mitsubishi deserves some praise though, for the new '04 Galant. I don't care for the styling, but overall it seems to be a better, roomier, more substantial car. Maybe it won't be *too* bad, having the new Stratus/Sebring based on that platform. I just hope they still offer a convertible!
  • mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    Oh, so that why you dont get any speeding tickets?! Well, I do not believe that an Intrepid with the 3.5 motor will blow away a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis with its interceptor engine. Plus they are rear wheel drive cars.:-)
    I have a feeling the guy might have been exaggerating a bit. However, awhile back I did find a copy of the Michigan State Police's test of the 2003 police cars. The Intrepid was a bit quicker than the Impala from 0-60, and I think it was as quick or quicker than the Crown Vic. we're talking like 9.14 seconds versus 9.26 or something like that, so it's not like it's that critical of a difference. In 0-100, the Intrepid started to pull away though, widening the distance from the Impala, although the Crown Vic was better. And the Intrepid had the highest top speed, although they were all electronically limited and could probably be modified to go higher.
  • barneymbarneym Member Posts: 32
    I will be sad to see the Intrepid nameplate become retired. My first car was a '95 Dodge Intrepid. I had rented the Intrepid a bunch of times as a college student to drive back and forth from Boston to home in CT and I always liked the full size comfort of the Intrepid. My grandfather worked for Chrysler for 30 years on the lines so I felt some family loyalty towards the brand as well. Plus, around that time, the whole Dodge brand had a cohesive look that was inspired by the Viper. Now they take their inspiration from the Ram instead (sounds backwards if you ask me).

I agree with everyone that DCX needs a full-size sedan replacement. If someone wants a full-size vehicle that isn't an SUV or a luxury car, they have to choose between the Crown Vic or the Intrepid. I keep hearing how the DC execs point to Europe as proof that wagons are the way to go. This a big mistake. They keep forgetting that most families in Europe are one car families so they need a more versatile vehicle like a wagon. In the U.S., most families have two or even more cars with one of them designated as the "family truckster" (i.e. minivan, suv, etc). Without a sedan version they are missing out on all the people not swayed by their marketing who simply don't want to drive a station wagon no matter how "cool" it is. So, DC, if your listening, please just re-skin the 300C as a Dodge and don't screw your dealers by making them sell oranges to people who want lemonade.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    try buying a 300. It's as close to a Magnum you can get without being a wagon.
    Just remember that both the Magnum and 3oo are rear wheel drive vehicles. The base engine in both is also, to be charitable, somewhat anemic, given the weight of these beasts...
    that they didn't use the 4.7 V-8 as one of the base engines in these new LX cars. They could have used it as the base unit in the 300, with a Hemi optional, and only allowed the Dodge version to have V-6es. That would've given the Chrysler version a bit more cachet.

From what I've read, the 2.7 has been retuned a bit, actually dropping the hp from 200 to 190. Peak torque stays the same, at 190 ft-lb, but it's available over a much broader rpm range. Still, while an Intrepid or Concorde with the 2.7 was usually good for 0-60 in about 9.5 seconds (although I've seen times as quick as 9.0 and as bad as 10.2 listed in tests), in these heavier beasts, with a driveline that saps more power, that time drops to around 10.7 seconds. It's actually not too bad, considering that this is about as bad as Chrysler dropping a 170 CID slant six under the hood of a '67 Newport! I was actually afraid that 0-60 would be much worse than that! But when you consider a base Impala is going to blow it away, and so will most Japanese 4-cylinder models like the Accord, Altima, and Camry, about all this car can hope for is to maybe beat out a Taurus wagon with the old Vulcan V-6!
    ...or an AWD Ford Five Hundred or Montego, with its 200 hp/200 pounds of torque and approximate 38oo pounds...
    Chrysler has said that it is going to surprise with a 10th new product for 2004/05, and that it will be shown at the New York autoshow. Wanna bet this is the Intrepid replacement? Charger???? Of course.

M
    UPDATE: Just read in today's Automotive News that the Charger is next year and rear wheel drive. Whether or not that's an Intrepid replacement is a topic for debate. The article also said that a police version is being considered, and that the Charger (which may be called something else) will be "very sporty" and not resemble the 300 very much at all, although it does share the same platform...
    I knew it! There is no way they would cancel the Intrepid and replace it with a wagon only. Made no sense. Look for the Charger at New York and on sale before the end of the year.

M
    "I considered the Galant to be a big step down, at least comparing the base models of each that I've driven. The Galant looked nice at a quick glance, but in driving it just felt cheap, unrefined, and cramped."

The next generation Stratus will be Galant based, but on the all new 2004 version, which is as big as a new Altima. Not the old ones that the above poster remembers.
    Miss my second paragraph, did ya? One more time, word for word...

"It looks like Mitsubishi deserves some praise though, for the new '04 Galant. I don't care for the styling, but overall it seems to be a better, roomier, more substantial car. Maybe it won't be *too* bad, having the new Stratus/Sebring based on that platform. I just hope they still offer a convertible!"
    As I recall there may be one of two "reveals" at the New York Auto Show. Either the Dodge sedan based on the 300C/Magnum chassis OR the new Grand Cherokee based on the new Durango platform..
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    I'm almost positive the new Grand Cherokee will debut at the NY show, especially since it's supposed to go on sale by year's end. In fact, I think there's a good chance both the Jeep and a full-sized Dodge sedan (Charger?) will be unveiled.

-- Mark
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    I hope the Dodge fullsize sedan will be something better looking than the 300. Something more sportier, like the current Intrepid.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    For those who remember the Charger show car of a few years ago, it was very "NASCAR-friendly" in its design. Because there was a short run of 04 Intrepids, Dodge is safe with those in NASCAR for a couple of years until the new Charger is released. Dodge was not about to re-enter racing with the big splash they did and bail out just as quickly with nothing to replace the Intrepid on the speedways.

I would also imagine public safety departments have been clamoring for a rear-wheel sedan with V8 power other than the Crown Vic so that they don't feel handcuffed (pun intended) by the lack of competition in that market. Ford reportedly will phase the CV out in favor of the FiveHun, but it is supposed to remain a fleet (police/taxi) vehicle for the immediate future.

This new sedan will generate plenty of interest from many directions.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
    Just a minute there. The Crown Vic may be being phased out (as far as sales to John and JoAnn Q. Public), but make no mistake about it, the Grand Marquis will be around for the foreseeable future. Just thought that needed to be said! :)
    Just a question for those of us who enjoy "lot browsing". Anyone seeing Intrepid SXT and ES models on your local Dodge dealer lots? I stopped by a local 5 Star Dealer and browsed a bit. Had some conversation about the arrival of the Magnum (late April and early May) but was surprised to find only Intrepid SE's on the lot. All the 2004 ES and SXT models gone?
  • mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    ended production of all Intrepids last August, and there were not many SXT's to begin with, I am not surprised that there are none on dealers lots. Back a year ago, when I bought my SE, I drove to many Dodge dealers in search of a used Trep, and none of them had many SXT's. With the exception of Reedman in PA, there were almost none. I dont know about the ES's because at the time I was not interested in an ES. A year ago, the local Dodge dealer only had one SXT and three or four SE's. But, in all fairness, the local dealer is BIG with the trucks anyway. Thats where the demand and big profits are. The dealer where I bought mine, Branford Dodge in CT, said that if they made the same profit with all vehicles, they would close their doors. They, too, had many Dodge trucks.
    in December, when I was having that problem with my oil lite, they had a good mix of Intrepid SE's and SXT's. I think there was an ES on the lot, as well. They had this one SXT, in inferno red and with a sunroof, marked down to about $22.5K. Pretty tempting.

I'd say they had about 8-10 Intrepids, total.
This discussion has been closed.