Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Out of curiosity, how did you manage to get such a low price, since it's way below list?

That's exactly what I paid for the identical car with 17K on it. I went that route since the best price for a similar new model was $11,400 -- sticker price was a bit over $13K.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    wave54 - They raised the price of the Aveo for 2005 I think, the sticker for my car was $11635 or something. There was a ~$2100 discount to $9535, and then 2 $500 dealer incentive coupons (why they wasted them on me, I still don't know), and then I had $1000 of GM card money.

Private party value right now is $8250 - if insurance pays that much, I will have pretty much gotten the best resale value for any car ever. 25000+ miles for $250!
  • chevysalesma2chevysalesma2 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 06 SVM aveo for $8973. G.M. employee price and %0 financing. Right now they took the 0% away and they have $1000 bonus money on them. I work for a chevy dealership and we sell less than 10 of these a year, mine is the only one on the lot now!. I saved a bunch of money buying the S.V.M. since I can install the A/C myself later on for the price of the kit ($925) Everyones calling me crazy but I love this car!
  • geissajgeissaj Member Posts: 14
    I recently purchased a 2005 aveo that was wrecked (and repaired) I paid 5500 and the car had 13500 miles. The car was completely repaired as it was a front end wreck, fenders, hood and bumper. The car has the same inherent flaw that the daewoo Nubria had that is weak lower control arm bushings ( not part of the wreck). I currently own three Daewoos including the Aveo and do my own repairs so I am somewhat knowledgeable about these cars. I purchase these cars because they are very inexpensive and easy to repair. If you can't fix a Aveo/Daewoo you shouldn't be fixing cars period. However the front end bushing should be repaired or recalled (redesigned) by GM as this is a design flaw and could be very dangerous. This problem causes tourquesteering and wandering in as little as 15,000 miles. GM never recalled the Nubria probably because there were so few of them sold I put two sets of bushings in my Nubria in 55,000 miles the first set at 18,000 miles. If you are experiencing steering problems contact NHTSA and file a complaint. As my car is not under warranty I will simply replace the lower control arms which will cost me $185 for the parts but would cost you much more. I am still way ahead at the price I paid. Other than the bushings the car is excellent gas milage, fit and finish, AC radio MP3, seats car is lik new. Pressure GM for repairs if you have problems.
  • canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    a dealer in iowa has aveo sv for 7995$ right now, 2006 brand new. i dont know how he can get such a low price!?
  • chevysalesma2chevysalesma2 Member Posts: 2
    Either its a demo or they are going into their holdback money (or its an ad to lure you into the dealership) "sorry we just sold it" Good luck at that price you are buying it below dealer cost!
    chevysalesma2 - We loved our Aveo, 26000 flawless miles.

geissaj - what do you replace the bushings with? rubber or polyurethane? what is the flaw?

canuck785 - SVMs are almost always advertised at 7995 in Los Angeles

peddiss96 - your shin rests against the cup holder? You must be 9 feet tall!
    However the front end bushing should be repaired or recalled (redesigned) by GM as this is a design flaw and could be very dangerous. This problem causes tourquesteering and wandering in as little as 15,000 miles.

Responded to you in the Aveo Modifications board also -- can just the bushings be replaced? I've heard that you can't. Local dealer has already suggested new control arms and that was at 38K miles. I didn't take them up on it since the issue at the time was creaks and crunches (very common on 04 models) -- now it is erratic torque steer and extemely sloppy steering and handling.

I'm well out of warranty and am trying to keep costs down to a minimum, yet something has to be done soon. If it comes to it, will have lower control arms replaced when I bring it in for a timing belt. Seems those wear prematurely as well and I won't try to push the recommended 60K miles interval. First one went before 40K.
  • peddiss96peddiss96 Member Posts: 3
    No, Just 6 foot 3.
  • canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    i exchanged a few emails with the internet sales manager and he said he has like 10 of them, sedan and hatchabck, all 2006, they always get low prices on aveo, according to him and there are no catch...except that you have to buy the one that is on the lot but it would be a 6 hours drive for us so we are looking locally too. someone said in a reply to one of my post to look at the accent and the rio and thank you, i am also considering those cars now!!
  • tcasteeltcasteel Member Posts: 3
    This is the exact reason we sold our 2005 aveo it cluncked really bad over bumps and it only had 10,000 mi on it, We had it back to the dealer 3 times for it, but every time it was the same old story.. they couldnt find anything wrong. i wasnt going to wait and let it get any worse so i figured our best option was to get rid of it, So we traded it in for a 2006 cobalt LS sedan its alot more powerfull and feels like an all around better built car..
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    According to the official AVEO service manual, both bushings (front and back)are servicable (replaceable).
    According to the official AVEO service manual, both bushings (front and back)are servicable (replaceable).

Thanks, that will be my next move. Had 4 new tires and alignment this morning and they told me the front-end was tight, but if anything, it feels more mushy and disconnected.
  • andy_handy_h Member Posts: 49
    I purchased my 2006 Aveo LT with all the goodies for 14.5K. I am still enjoying every bit of it. I, very much, like the wheels, spoiler, fog lights, cruise control, moonroof, etc.

Try it with the new VW Rabbit, and you will pay about 22K. I am happy with my Aveo.
  • tcasteeltcasteel Member Posts: 3
    Why would the bushings on a brand new car need serviced
    at 10,000 mi? wouldn't you think the dealer would have known to service them if they needed it .In my opinion the Aveo is a cheaply built car and it's just a plain miantnance nightmare Its like they say, you get what you pay for. I hope you had sence enough to get the extended warranty because you will.. be using it. I liked the car at first too and thought thought it was going to save me money, but the upkeep on it is whats going to get ya. :sick:
    Oh and i lost
    3000 on it in 9 months when trading it in so forget resale value :cry:
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I have a 05 Hatchback (fully loaded with moonroof)with a little over 12K miles. So far, I have had no problems other than the radio (specifically, the CD player, which I replaced with an after-market Sony with an AUX jack for my iPod)...I was simply responding to a question someone had about lower control arm bushing replacement. I do most of the maintenance on my vehicles, and the bushing replacement seems to be relatively easy, according to the Helm/GM maintenance manual. I agree, if these items need replacement at less than 30K miles, there is a design issue at hand. But, at that mileage, and in a 3 year period, it would be warranty covered.

Personally, I like the car. I get 26 mpg in town with the A/C running, and around 35-36 hwy mpg. For my use (primarily an "around-town" ride), it offers everything that I wanted.
    I just ordered a set of control arms I don't think the bushings are available The control arms look realativly easy to put in check out www.gm-car-parts.com for parts the control arms come with both bushings and ball joint. The timing belt is also fairly easy I put two in my Daewoos took two hours and one six pack. GM should cover these Items. These aren't bad cars but some of the problems can be repaired at reasonable cost if you can do the work yourself I wouldn't want to pay for the shop time. GM should be held to repair these problems and include a disclaimer on the timing belt repair or include a free replacement or a fixed cost replacement so your not at the mercy of the repair shop
    I hope you got a good deal on the trade the cobalt is probably a better car I like the seating position in the Aveo like a small van. Every body needs to understand that these cars are not necessarily made cheap but are made light weight to achieve good gas mileage ratings. Light weight cars don't hold up quite as well. They are also more vulnerable to winter weather conditions from salt corrosion. Does anyone remember the Datsun HoneyBee 40 miles to the gallon with a carbueater
    Check out the this site http://www.ratdat.com/brochuregal/honeybee_brgal/images/honeybee2.jpg 1976 HoneyBee 1st Gas crisis it's only going to get worse
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    The Aveo is a descent sub-compact car and maintenance friendly. The Cobalt is a premium compact car in a different price catagory, so comparisons between the two are not very close. For the money you get a pretty good car with the Aveo and it looks to be a better buy for the money than the Yaris, Fit, etc.
    That HoneyBee is not bad for its time. My brother had the B210 and that thing was a dog. It was the slowest car in excelleration that I have ever been in.
    These aren't bad cars but some of the problems can be repaired at reasonable cost if you can do the work yourself I wouldn't want to pay for the shop time
    Unfortunately, most people don't have the expertise, tools or a suitable place to do these repairs themselves. As such, it means using the Chevy dealer or an independent repair shop and these repairs are not cheap.

A timing belt replacement is $300 to $500 -- extra if the water pump is included. Since they don't seem to last the 60,000 miles, I'm going to change no later than every 50K. Over the lifetime of the car, that adds up to thousands.

Any idea on the cost of control arm replacement?
    Control Arms can be purchased for less than $100.00 each I don't know what they charge for replacement they would want to do an alignment. The timing belt is $59 and a new serpentine is $36 shouldn't take more than 1 hr in a GM shop I replaced mine in 2 hours in my driveway.
    Thats because the gas pedal was bent
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    "A timing belt replacement is $300 to $500 -- extra if the water pump is included. Since they don't seem to last the 60,000 miles, I'm going to change no later than every 50K. Over the lifetime of the car, that adds up to thousands."

Is this the new math here? ;)
    Even at $500, replacing 10K early every time means that at 250,000 miles it will have been replaced 5 times versus 4 times, an increase of $500, not thousands over the lifetime of the car.
    Is this the new math here?
    Even at $500, replacing 10K early every time means that at 250,000 miles it will have been replaced 5 times versus 4 times, an increase of $500, not thousands over the lifetime of the car.

No new math -- sorry if that was misleading. Just another factor to consider when purchasing a vehicle for those who expect to put high miles on it (200,000+). I hadn't considered the cost since my last vehicle needed timing belt replacement less often and it was only about $125 for the service at that time.

When I shop for my next vehicle, I'll consider a timing chain rather than a belt as a definite plus in making a decision. I drive about 70K miles a year and 4 or 5 replacement belts does add up.
    The timing belt is $59 and a new serpentine is $36 shouldn't take more than 1 hr in a GM shop

Looked over my receipt from a warranty timing belt replacement -- dealer noted that their repair cost for the belt and tensioner is $490 plus tax.

On another occasion, had the serpentine belt tensioner seize up and shredded the belt. The dealer repair cost for tensioner and belt replacement was $221 with 1.5 hours labor at $84/hr. 3-day wait for parts.
    Bright Blue Metallic Aveo

Born: November 2004
    Options: Automatic + A/C
    MSRP: $11,635
    Negotiated Price: $8500 (new)

Died: July 2006
    Miles: 26,000
    Insurance Settlement: $10,800

Long live the Aveo.
    Born: November 2004
    Options: Automatic + A/C
    MSRP: $11,635
    Negotiated Price: $8500 (new)

Died: July 2006
    Miles: 26,000
    Insurance Settlement: $10,800

VERY generous insurance settlement on a 2-year-old car!! You made out like a bandit considering the price you paid. I'm green with envy ;)
  • andy_handy_h Member Posts: 49
    Muffin Man – I know you will buy a 2006 Aveo LT with all the toys next.
    wave54 - Not sure how I got so lucky on both ends of this deal. But I'll have something to talk about when people bring up "resale" value.

andy_h - I wish I was, because that was a fantastic car, but I think I'm going for something a size up until the g/f is a little more experienced. New Civic maybe. Sigh.
  • ron1970ron1970 Member Posts: 26
    Hi all,

Just finished 5k miles with an average of 39.53 mpg. I have just seen my first tank at 42.3mpg as well. So far It has done better then expected.

Ron
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Hi. New to this forum..just found it. I have a 2006 LS Aveo. Bright Blue Aveo Hatchback. Barebones. Auto and A/C, after being raked over the coals at the dealership here in Ft.Laud. Lou Bachrodt! Avoid like the plague! Out the door $10,000 with a $3,000 trade. Lots of promises,very few kept. Anyway. I just put 1,000 all city miles on it. I went to change the oil and filter. It took 2 hours to try to twist off that filter! Whatever robot put it on was on steroids! I finally had to punch a screwdriver through it to get a 'pry bar' in it and twist it off. I do all my own oil and filter changes on all my trucks/cars. BUT this tiny little filter is so small...does anyone know of a longer/bigger one that will fit the oil filters base and give you 2-3 times the filtering abilty? I spent a fortune on syn. oil and a super high grade filter. Which I always do anyway. BUT this filter is so tiny,no wonder the manual says to change the oil and filter at 3,000 miles. That went out with high button shoes!
    My Ranger,which i traded in ,had a 5,000/7,500 mile change,or 6 months. I change it at 3 months anyway,because I do 100% city driving. But this Aveo change schedule is so old fashioned. If the filter was bigger,you could go much longer between changes. So...anyone try this or know of a size that would fit? P.S. read my MPG issue. :)
    wave54 - Not sure how I got so lucky on both ends of this deal.

Not lucky about the accident, but driving a car for 2 years and coming out $2300 ahead must soften the blow a bit.
    Does anyone have access to TSB's for 2005 AVEO There are three suspension and steering TSB's listed in the NHTSA web site. GM should offer these for free but you have to pay for them Through ALLDATA or some other aftermarket resource. TSB's are repair procedures for defects that the manufacturer recognizes but hasn't killed anybody so NHTSA doesn't investigate. They are covered under warranty but not after. Any GM repair shop has these and should be aware when you bring your car in for repairs.
    I had one of the problems addressed by a TSB just after the warranty ended (clunk, pop noise from front suspension over bumps).

The dealer lubed the lower control arm bushings and charged me $60 or so. Didn't help at all -- noises were still present driving out of the dealership.

Their response: Shrug shoulders and offer to replace lower control arms (at my expense, of course)!
    Nobody was hurt - lucky enough without any extra money.
  • kris14kris14 Member Posts: 5
    http://www.euroncap.com/
    EuroNCAP crash test for the Chevrolet Kalos 2006 (hatchback) is now available. Front crash test rates 6 out of minimum 13 for a modern car. This is only marginally better than the rating of only 3 for the 2007 Chevy Aveo Saloon. :lemon:
  • optus3optus3 Member Posts: 7
    I had the same problem with my Kalos in Australia. The dealer first told me it was a the brakes, which they offered to replace so I didn't argue. The noise was still there. They then lubed the lower control arm bushings. This did help for a while, but of course it comes back. Just had to keep it lubed i guess
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A casting director seeks drivers who think of their cars as extensions of their personalities and are able to participate in a rally from Vancouver to LA for two weeks in October. Please visit http://www.carspace.com/bullrun for more information.
    My 2006 automatic heats up VERY fast. Does everyone elses heat up fast. I mean under 3 mins! The temp. gauge is at the halfway mark,well just under it..and it always stays there,while the car is hot. I make such short trips, I was hoping the car heating up fast would be a good thing. But it sure isnt saving gas. Usually a temp. gauge is of no use. Kind of like the 'idiot lights' of the 1980's. It always goes up to just a smidge under the half way mark within 3-5 mins. No matter how long or short i drive it..it never goes higher. It does go lower after a long time sitting, so I know it works. But how about the rest of you? Do your Aveo's heat up fast? I guess in cold areas it would be a nice thing. Here in south Fla. it is of no use of course. Just wondering if this is common, or do I have a problem I should go to the dealer and have them look at and laugh at me for a while.
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    living in texas a temp gauge is always of use.....if it is hot weather you want to know if you car is about to overheat. and it can happen when it is 106 outside like yesterday.
  • woodsmanmnwoodsmanmn Member Posts: 13
    One of the first things I noticed when I got the car, is how quickly the engine heats up, even in cold weather. And I'm talking Minnesota winter weather, so it's a GOOD thing. For a 4 cylinder car, it gives out very good heat. Like your guage, mine sits just below the half way mark all the time, except when the engine is first started after it's cooled down.
    That sounds normal to me. Every vehicle I have every owned shows the temperature at the middle reading. If it goes into the red zone you know there is an overheating problem.

New cars like the Cobalt, HHR, Malibu, etc., have an actual digital temperature gauge on their information center so you can see the progress after a few hours of driving, etc.
    Yes, I know its good to know if the car is going to overheat. But it seems like the 'standard heat range' is just under the half way mark. At least mine is not the only one that heats up VERY fast and then the needle sits at the middle of the temp. range.
  • vincent_viivincent_vii Member Posts: 9
    My Aveo warms up pretty quickly, too. After it reaches just under the halfway mark it stays there. Actually the only other car I've owned the warmed up this fast was a '93 Miata.
  • the2ringsthe2rings Member Posts: 2
    Please help!! I am searching, thus far in vain, for some answers. I have had my Aveo towed into the dealership four times in the past two months - warranty is about to expire - for issues with the car not wanting to start. They have given me a variety of answers and fixed a number of things, however the problem continues. They have assured me that they will continue to cover any issues that stem from this once the warranty has expired; however, at this point I am truly frustrated. Who wants to spend a great deal of time waiting for their car to start???? Let alone the thought of being stranded at the store, etc. One of the things that the dealership has suggested is that I pump the gas...this truly threw me for a loop since my car is fuel injected...I am looking for anyone that may have had this similar issue and if so, what did you do - besides get rid of the car??? :lemon:
    Well if they are willing to replace the fuel pump,TELL them to do it. Dont ask,just tell them. It could be clogged with junk from some bad gas you put in it..or it could just be breaking down. But the fact this has happened before your warranty expired means they MUST keep trying to fix it. At least you have that little comfort. Does the lemon law apply for you? What age is your Aveo? It might be covered under the lemon law,read the booklet you got with the car about the lemon law in your state. If they try to fix something like 3-4 times and cant,dont they have to replace the car or something like that,if it is a NEW car, i know that applies. But how old and how many miles do you have on yours? A starting problem can be a battery,the starter,fuel pump,ignition,the key part of the ignition to! What have they replaced or fixed so far? I smell a lemon law issue :lemon: you might have a case.
  • the2ringsthe2rings Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for your insight...I own a 2005 Aveo and the past four times I have been told a variety of things - carbon deposits in IAC valve and passage, carbon on throttle plates; loose battery cable; carbon deposits on valves and TBI - recommended running high end fuel x3 fill ups; told to pump the gas when trouble starting (pump the gas with a fuel injected vehicle???) The car is at just under 36,000 and I have owned it for just over a year now...going to look up the lemon laws for my state and take my car back into the dealership tomorrow. Thank you for your prompt response :) Guess we'll see if it is truly a :lemon:
    Number one: Many dealers don't seem to know that the powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles, so you are surely not out of warranty yet.

My local Chevy dealer advised me to use Shell gasoline since the other brands could clog the fuel injectors. They said that some vehicles had come in with that problem and needed servicing due to fuel of insufficient quality for the Aveo.

Honestly, I disregarded the advice and use any brand I want with no problems.