Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• andy_handy_h Member Posts: 49
    Here is a look of the new 2008 Aveo hatchback. It has a change in the front and will have sedan interior.
    http://www.geocities.com/auto_world_blog/
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I have seen it a couple times before. I don't understand why they don't do the whole car like the 4-door. They only did the front, back, and interior.
    The Aveo5 was and is a big hit for GM. That's why they did not want to tamper with it. Well, I can say I like my 2006 Aveo way over this 2008 one. What do you guys think?
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    My 2006 hatchback with the charcoal seats with the blue threads running through it...has now ripped 2 times in the same place, at the upper part on the right side where the back of the cover meets the side of the seat where my shoulder would hit...IF I were that tall. My shoulder doesn't even hit it...but so far they have replaced the cover 1 time, and now yesterday I see it is ripping again right at the seam in the same spot as the first time. It is ripping at the seam. So it is not ME ripping it or cutting the fabric, it is the seam pulling apart...and at a place where there is no weight at all!

I cant belive how cheap this seat is. Has anyone else had this problem with their drivers seat?
    They are ordering another cover of course,but the 'trim manager' said that IF it rips again...they will 'sow it back together...THAT would be stronger than the factory seam'! And that 'it is such a bi--h to get that cover on the seat frame'! His words not mine. I said then why dont you just sow this seam back if that will be stronger? No reply! So far I have told them that the bottom seat cushion has been sinking since 2 months after I bought it..they didnt care. Then it ripped at the seam, now it is ripping again in the exact same place, and they won't sow it...even though THEY say it would be a stronger seam...and won't give me a reason why.I think the seat is defective...from the factory.

I am NOT a 400lb person bouncing up and down on the seat. I have dialed the seat up as high as possible with that dial on the side. And I now have 2 big towels folded and sitting on them to fill in the 'hole' I am sitting in!
    Anyone else having such problems with their CAR seat? :confuse:
    I wonder who makes these seats for them, and what other manufactures are using this brand as well?
  • richard1hainesrichard1haines Member Posts: 41
    No i've not had any problems with anything in my 2007 aveo sedan. :)
  • grace4evergrace4ever Member Posts: 30
    No, I have not any trouble like that with my 2007 Aveo hatchback.
    I gave up my 97 metro hatchback for a 2007 Aveo Hatchback. I LOVED THAT METRO - IT WAS THE GREATEST, but my husband decided i needed something better. It took me a while, but I finally warmed up to my Aveo Hatchback and it is a wonderful car. It is fun to drive, gets good gas mileage (not as good as the Metro, though) and handles really well. From one Metro owner to another - I think you'd like the Aveo. I still haven't had the heart to get rid of my 97 Geo Metro yet. Much to my husbands dismay, it's still sitting in our garage :)
    I have no such problem with my 2006 Aveo. I know a 300 pounds guy that had the same problem with his Toyota. So, he purchased a good seat cover and put it over his driver seat. He also added a seat cushion. His problem was solved.
    Well thankfully I'm not that heavy, and since our front seats have side impact airbags,you can't put seat covers on them,or the airbags won't deploy in an accident. And a car seat should be able to hold even a 300 lb person. It might rip over time for someone that heavy,..but this is 2 times in 15 months...and the first time it ripped was at less than 1 year.

AND as I have mentioned, the seat cushion has been going soft since 2 months after I bought the car. And have complained about that to GM ever since,thinking that might be why it is ripping on the back cover. They are FINALLY offering to add foam padding to the bottom seat this time.
    For whatever company builds this seat for GM, you would think that they would realize that most Americans are now on the heavy-side and take that into consideration. Knowing that the car is built elsewhere probably complicates this issue as did the Japanese cars up until about 1990 or so when they were designed for small Japanese people.
    Well,while I am taking my hatchback in today to get the drivers seat recovered again,...and the bottom cushion re stuffed or resprung...it's like sitting in a pit since the 2nd month I owned it! They finally agreed to fix it. The hatch lever broke yet again! This makes like 5-6 times. The key itself first started acting up this time,it wouldn't unlock,and no matter how hard I pulled on the handle, it wouldn't open,or break. I would turn the key 5-8 times in the lock very hard and it would finally unlock. Well now I just tried to open it again, and the lever broke again,like the other 5 times.Haven't been able to get in the back for a week!
    I give up on this hatch. This time it is the key AND the handle. So..maybe I will get it totally fixed/replaced this time!?
    I complained to GM customer service about the 'pit' I have been sitting in for over a year,..and NOW my dealer is finally going to 'make me happy by the time I pick it up,later today'. So...this should be good! Either a joke or nothing gets done I bet. But I will call GM again and tell them if I am in the 'pits' still! :mad:
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Anyone else having such problems with their CAR seat?

The driver's seat in my 04 lost a good bit of the shape and support in the bottom cushion after about 80K miles, but no rips.

Still, nothing like an old Plymouth Satellite I had where you could reach straight through the seat to pick up change that had dropped. It looked like the seat in an outhouse.
    Well I have another seat cover for the upright back part of the seat,and they restuffed the bottom cushion, and it is nice and hard again, so I'm not sitting in a pit! So I will see how long this 'repair' lasts. IF it rips one more time..there has to be something wrong with the seat. When no part of my body touches the part that is ripping...there must be a structural problem with the seat. :confuse:
    Sounds like a rare issue -- I've found the interior to be quite durable.
    Thus the reason it is so puzzling. The rest of the car is still new,..of course I have no passengers,...so that helps. But this drivers seat is just not right. I still say it isnt built right and it is ripping the fabric because it isnt built right. Like it is twisted out of alignment or something. And it is putting pressure on this seam until it finally rips.
    I have 2007 HB and so far no problems with the seats ripping or wearing out but only have around 1500 miles on it. :)
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I thought the 07 sedan was a bit heavy handed but what were they ever thinking? I think updating to a sedan interior with no changes would have been a lot more pleasant than that...
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    went and looked at the 2008 model at the state fair here in Dallas....the look the same....at least the sticker on the window said 2008.
    If you are talking about the 2008 Aveo 5 door, I think the front end is much better looking.
    The 2008 at the fair had the same old front end on it.
    Really, I don't understand. I will have to look into this further because I have seen the pictures more than once with the front and rear ends changed and the interior getting the current sedans interior. I saw this on Autob--g and they were for the U.S. Maybe a later 2008 release?
  • aveowanabevegaaveowanabevega Member Posts: 5
    my 07 Aveo has just over 22k and it creaks and klunks badly at slow speed. dealer has no good repair ideas ,states it is documented problem from the start of production in 04 with the car.
  • achilcuttachilcutt Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE THE 06 AVEO IT IS THE CONTROL ARMS I HAVE HAD 5 SETS PUT ON AND IT IS GOING BACK FOR THE SAME THING :mad:
    my 07 Aveo has just over 22k and it creaks and klunks badly at slow speed. dealer has no good repair ideas ,states it is documented problem from the start of production in 04 with the car.
    when changed did it solve the problem?
    Well now I am on number 10 or 11 times of my hatch lever breaking,or not opening, getting stuck in the down position. Today, after going last week to Chevy to 'fix it' AGAIN. I couldn't open the hatch TODAY! They couldn't find a problem last week...so they did nothing.
    Well today,I found out a way to open the hatch when its stuck.
    I have to hit the hatch above the lever 2-5 times from the Bowtie emblem to above the lever,and it popped open! Then I closed it again and it wouldn't open. So I hit it again, and it opened. I did it a third time and it wouldn't open and sure enough hitting it ,it opened!

I intend on calling GM and telling the dealer what happened, and how I 'fixed it' and MAYBE this time they can replace whatever is behind the lever and next to the gold Bowtie on the hatch.
    Does anyone know what parts are behind that plastic piece above the lever? I know if I keep hitting it, I will eventually break the plastic. Out of anger or just from constantly hitting it. So..IF Chevy can't or won't replace what is behind that plastic above the lever, What is in there?
    Is there some locking mechanisms,or what?
    I'm talking about the car debuted at the Frankfurt show. I can find numerous pictures but all are in forums which would be cut here. This is an article with responses but (hopefully), it meets Edmunds standards for inclusion. Hopefully they'll just stick the sedan interior into the existing body and leave this one in Europe (although why they'd want it there is beyond me).

http://jalopnik.com/cars/frankfurt-auto-show/frankfurt-auto-show-new-european-ch- evrolet-aveo-has-huge-boot-and-overbite-to-match-298460.php
    This is the one that I was talking about. A vast improvement over the current 5-door, and aguably the best looking sub-compact out there. Body is the same accept for the front end and rear tail-lights.
    Even though I don't mind the new corporate look on a Malibu this is WAAAY over the top for this car. The sedan's front clip was bad enough. I'm hoping this is some kind of Europe only kludge to increased pedestrian safety requirements.

Hopefully a new car will be out shortly and this will simply be some kind of bad one or two year memory.

However, the new Malibu looks a lot better than the pictures, so I'll wait until I see this in person before I launch any further verbal attacks.
    Oh yes...I like the look of the car and wish we would get it maybe for 2009 or as a 2008 1/2 would be nice.
    Is timing belt replacement covered under manufacturer's warranty or an extended warranty or is it considered regular maintenance?
    If it breaks during the standard powertrain warranty period (or extended if you purchase it), it's covered. After that, you're on your own. GM would be responsible for any additional repairs, such as bent valves, if failure occurs under warranty.
    I have tried every product on the market. From the expensive,Stoners Invisible Glass Cleaner, Groitts Glass Cleaner,to the cheap,plain old Windex, a vinegar and water mix. What can be used on the INSIDE to get rid of the damn film on the glass? I have glass polish to get rid of the exterior windshield washer spots stains that develop over the days/weeks in the corners that the wipers dont reach. So the outside is spotless!
    BUT the inside I just cant get rid of that film. And now at 17 months, the 'outgases' that cause the fog is done leaking out of the dash. So what do you use to clean it so it isn't all streaked or fogged? I clean it when it is cold,in the shade,first thing in the morning,I have not used newspaper YET,being in the cleaning business, that is an old wives tale. It just makes for more work to dry the glass! I've used every paper towel I can think of. I can't get rid of the fog.
    What do you guys/gals use? HELP!!!
  • simbathedogsimbathedog Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 Aveo with 7K miles, oil started leaking out of gasket of oil pan; brought in to get fixed - dealer stated they were aware of this type of issue - took them 5 days to fix for they did not have part; picked up car - started making ticking noise upon acceleration - oil light came on took back to dealer who informed me - whoever fixed gasket did not replace oil pump correctly; just been told car has engine damage - metal in oil - they are going to tear it down; perhaps replace the engine - can I get them to give me a new car? Has anyone had this problem
    I have not had my first oil change yet, but you make me afraid to have one. I have heard of leaking because of the use of synthetic oil so I don't know whether I should go to that or not. Anybody have that problem?
    I don't recall of ever reading about this issue on the forum. It is not likely that they will give you another car. The dealer would probably make more money from the service reimbursement from GM.
  • c118fec118fe Member Posts: 23
    I,too was janitorial business for 25 yrs.Have yet to find anything to remove "fog".What did you call the cause? Outgases?
  • ilaveoilaveo Member Posts: 26
    Changing a fairly new car over to synthetics is unlikely to cause trouble. Over time the seals and such supposedly get conditioned to regular dino oil and its additives, so you might have issues with leaks if you switched oils on an older engine. They claim to have worked out the compatiblility problems, so it isn't supposed to be a problem then either. If you like the other properties of synthetic oil enough to pay the extra $$$, I say go for it,
    Would you consider 17,050 a new engine? I had a V10 dodge P.U. that I switched @75,000 and no problems,reached 142,000.
  • ilaveoilaveo Member Posts: 26
    I would consider 17K pretty new. The numbers I've seen thrown around are 50K and 100k for the end of engine newness. YMMV
  • wheelmanwheelman Member Posts: 52
    The repetitive occurring fog /film on the inside of your windshield and other glass areas could be caused by a petroleum coating used by some plastic/vinyl manufacturers on their seating, dashboards, door panels. The petroleum coating heats in the sunlight or by using the heater/defroster and becomes gaseous. The gas floats around the interior of the vehicle and attaches to glass....and an interior film is seen.

The FIX: You need a good,oil cutting liquid cleaner. A cleaner, not a petroleum based solvent. Wipe down with the cleaner and rinse with clean water every piece of interior plastic and vinyl which includes the door panels, console, seats, vinyl headliner, dash...everything plastic and vinyl. Leave the doors and hatch open to dry. More than one cleaning may be necessary.

..and drive like your life depends on it.

The Wheelman
    I thought it might have been anti-freeze from heater being it only happens in cold weather and I've added 2 pints of AF in 7000 mi.No evident leak.
  • slugslug Member Posts: 1
    After 40,000 mile I have a cracked steel wheel. Anyone else had this problem? Is there a TSB for this problem? If not I am interested in buying a steel whell from someone who has put on aftermarket wheels.j
  • kane2kane2 Member Posts: 1
    I use castrol's fully synthetic oil in my 05 aveo. I've been doing that since it had 6,000 miles on it. It now has 18,000. I have had no problems with it.
  • rlbellingerrlbellinger Member Posts: 1
    2007 Chevrolet Aveo passenger airbag light stays on when my wife who weights about 130 lbs. I have had the auto into the dealership 7 times sence I purchesed it in Feb 2007 to repair this problem. They claim that they have contacted GM about this problem, but not come up with a fix for it. I called GM customer relations about this problem. They are no help eather. They claim they replaced every thing connected with the air bag system, but it still don't work. My wife will not ride in the car the way it is, so I have a car that I can't take my wife with me when I go any place.
    I would not purchase another GM product because of this, their customer service is not good. :confuse:
    If this were a Toyota would you purchase another one of those?
    Film or fog clinging to the interior glass may be caused be leaking anti freeze, but I doubt it. BIG PROBLEM IN THE MAKING: Your climate system (radiator, air conditioner, heater, condenser, and associated tubing ) is a closed, sealed and pressurized system and you should not be losing any fluid at all. You may a small leak which drips fluid onto a hot engine or exhaust pipe and then evaporates. Recommend you take the vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer, tell the Service Manager you are losing antifreeze and request that a technician do a pressure test on the heating/cooling system.

The WheelMan

PS. Pets love the taste of antifreeze, unfortunately antifreeze will kill your pets.

T W
    Whoever told you synthetic motor oil causes leaks is a liar. Most oil leaks occur from misaligned oil filters, oil pans and/or failed seals. Synthetic oils are the best (although expensive) lubrication for your engine. And...changing oil is critical to the lifespan of your engine.

The WheelMan
    Timing belts are considered 'wear 'items and should be replaced at the suggested time or miles stated in your Aveo owner's manual. Failure to change a timing belt may result, as Wave54 stated, in a catastrophic and very costly failure within your engine.

Reading, especially the maintenance section, of the Aveo's Owner manual is critical.
    If you have questions about maintenance visit your local Chevrolet Service Department, before a problem arises.

The WheelMan