Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• wheelmanwheelman Member Posts: 52
    Not changing the Aveo's timing belt as required by Chevrolet's maintenance schedule is like playing Russian roulette with your wallet. Timing belts wear out and when they snap inside of an Aveo engine all hell breaks loose. Valves get bent, pistons may be scraped, fuel mixes with the oil, spark plugs are fouled, valve guides may be comprised and maybe the head gets damaged. And to rebuild that mess you will cost your wallet a bundle. Guaranteed.

The WheelMan
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Synthetic oils can contribute to oil leaks on a higher mileage engine because the seals/O-rings are old and conditioned with the regular dino oil and synthetic has a different make-up. This is what I have read elsewhere not just my opinion.
    Think for a moment...If synthetic oils caused deterioration in oil seals/ O-rings then Mobil, Quaker State,Valvoline and all the other oil brands would be shelling out megabucks to car owners because their lubricants contributed to destroyed engines.

To separate rumor from truth, spend a moment reading:
    Question # 7 "Do synthetic lubricants cause seal leaks?"
    At >> http://www.synlubes.com/about/faqs.html.

The WheelMan
    Please read my post again. I didn't say synthetic could cause deteriation of seals, I said it can contribute to leaks if an engine has been running regular dino and has a lot of mileage on the seals. If there is a lot of mileage on the seals then there may be fine cracks that develop eventually leading to the leaks that we see. If using synthetic in an engine with weak seals the synthetic will flow better and because of that can leak through the cracks easier than regular dino oil thus leading to leaks that may not have showed up or at least for awhile.
  • bayoubilly74bayoubilly74 Member Posts: 10
    Hello everybody, and happy new year in advance....

I am ready to buy, within the next couple of days, either a 08 aveo hatch OR the sedan version....cannot decide. Time is running out as the red tag sale (and the number of aveos on my local chevy lot) is winding down.

The hatch offers more versatility, but I gotta be honest, the sedan version looks better--easier on the eyes. Not trying to bag on the hatch, I think when they revamp it for the 09 model it will look really good. Chevy obviously put a lot of effort into the sedan and it shows.

My question is, for those of you who own the hatch version, what are your thoughts? Just how much room is back there with the rear seats "flipped and folded"? Looks like quite a bit, but how often do you take advantage of it?

thx :confuse:
  • roadgypsyroadgypsy Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the hatch has ALOT of room with seats flipped and folded. That is one of the reasons I purchased it.I needed the cargo room for hauling maps for my job. I find myself not using that feature very often though as it is a little difficult to do. It is easier to just fold seats down even though there is not as much cargo room this way.I still like the looks of the hatch over the sedan and people are really surprised at the room in the interior when they see it!! Also this model is a little cheaper in price!! Hope this helps!! Happy New Year!!!
  • c118fec118fe Member Posts: 23
    :shades: I removed the front bottom slide bolts and folded it up, hold fold up's with bungee cords.Slide my wife's wheelchair in and out,no problem.Bungee on chair.Lots of room.
  • grace4evergrace4ever Member Posts: 30
    I have a hatchback as well and just love it for all the room. However, I was not aware (call me stupid) that the seats folded AND flipped. I knew they folded down but is there another button you have to release to flip them? :confuse:
    Its not in a book.The rear seat,front mounts are (2) slip pins held onto a mount on the floor with a snap washer holding it in.You would normally remove these for seat removal.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Another factor:
    Crash test ratings for the 2008 sedan and hatchback are not the same. Check them out.
  • bayoubilly74bayoubilly74 Member Posts: 10
    Just want to thank everyone who chimed in on this topic. As an update, I purchased a new 07 Aveo sedan LT this afternoon. This, of course, was after a lot of debating, research, and test drives. Probably drove my dealer crazy, but hey, they'll make their money I'm sure. Anyway, got the 07 sedan for a great deal; 1.9% financing thru GMAC. Sweet car. White with leatherette interior, sunroof, 6 disc player, steering wheel audio controls. Handles and drives well. Drove quite a bit and the freakin' needle barely moved. Peace everyone.
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Here's a different topic! After I spend all the time to get my Aveo spotless, and dry...the next morning I find cat hair all over the roof and footprints on the hood and windshield!! I cant keep the damn wild cats off my clean car. They dont do it much when it's dirty, but the day it is clean, I find it is covered in cat hair on the roof and the footprints on the windshield and the roof. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep them off the car? I cant afford a cover right now...so thats out. Is there anything that I can put on it to keep them off..something that smells bad to them, or something they won't lay on and that won't scratch the paint?? Any hints would be VERY much appreciated.
    "Creaks and klunks" at slow speeds sounds like suspension/control issues to include: wheel bearings, bushings, control arms, struts. Best to find another Chevrolet dealer who has more experienced and trained techs.. Also have the service manager ride with you at slow speeds so he/she can hear and feel the noises.

The WheelMan
    You might want to try a chemical spray called "Boundary" which is a dog/cat repellent. I do not know if it is safe to spray on the car metal. Perhaps you could spray a perimeter around the car. More info.> Google >Enter "Boundary pet deterrent"

If cats are resting or wandering on your car, they most likely have "marked" the car as their territory with urine. I would recommend cleaning your tires/ rims/ mudflaps/ bumpers with a very strong cleaner capable of removing the cat urine.

If the above treatment plan fails, I would get one badass dog to guard your car.

The WheelMan
    The spray will ruin the 'clean car'....and might ruin the paint. No cat pee on the wheels, and I check for dog pee all the time, these damn animals mark anything so I check and wash the tires and wheels all the time and spray with a urine killer if I fine any.

Thanks for the idea. But it wont work. I was thinking of laying something slippery on the roof so when the cat jumps up,it flys off! But what won't scratch the paint? A sheet of felt? I dont want to make it a comfortable meeting place for them to sleep in a group! And old sheet?
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    After 3 years of ownership and 34,000 miles, I have traded my Aveo LT with automatic. It was purchased new and had every available option plus the Rostra cruise control (I believe this is the same unit that GM used on the 2006 models, and probably later year models as well), added after purchase since it was not an option on the 2005 model year.

This car was primarily driven in the city,with the exception of one long road trip from South Carolina to Wyoming in the summer of 2007.

I averaged 23-25 MPG in city driving (23 with the A/C in summer and 25 in the winter), and 30-31 MPG highway driving. I never got better than 31 MPG, even using 93 octane gas. I drive the speed limit, and consider myself a conservative driver.

Observations:

Afetr 6 months of ownership, the suspension began making creaking and groaning noises...a familiar compalint on this forum. Also, I had the problem with the clock resetting/losing the correct time until I had the cruise control installed. My suspicion is that there was an electrical grounding issue that was resolved when the battery was removed and reinstalled during the cruise control installation.

After 22 months of ownership, the sunroof started "binding"and had to be replaced. Ten months later, the sunroof "tilt" feature ceased to operate correctly. The sunroof repair was done at the local Chevrolet/Cadillac dealer, so you would think they would have the appropriate expertise to do this type of repair correctly.

The car interior developed several squeaks and rattles during my ownership, but it was "tight" and quiet for the first 6 months or so. I had to remove all 4 door panels and tighten the nuts holding the interior door handle "simulated carbon fiber" inserts in place after approximately 8 months of ownership. The front passenger side insert actually became detached from the door handle, forcing the "retightening" exercise. I don't believe the nuts were ever correctly tighened at the factory. As the car aged, I continuously discovered loose screws and nuts in various spots in the vehicle.

I purchesed the Helm service manuals (the factory service manuals sold by Helm for GM) and performed the regular maintenance and service on this vehicle, and it was very easy to maintain mechanically. The oil filter was easily accessable,as was the oil pan drain plug. The engine was "oil tight", with no fluid leaks of any kind. I used synthetic oil and changed oil and filter every 5000 miles/6 months.

No problems with the transmission or the air conditioning, lights, or anything electrical except the Radio/CD player. After approximately 1 year, the CD player started "skipping" at random, sometimes playing for hours correctly and then skipping so badly on the same identical CDs that you couldn't stand to listen to it. For the record, this happened on factory stamped CDs.

Front tire wear was a big issue. I was well into my second set of tires (Goodyears) when I traded. I spoke with 2 different tire shops about this issue (both very reputable) and they echoed each other when describing the excessive front tire wear of the Aveo. It appears to be an issue with additional Chevrolet models as well. There was no unacceptable wear on the rear tires.

I felt the engine horsepower was sufficient in city driving, but another 20-30 horsepower would have been much nicer on the highway, as anything more than a modest slope on the Interstate caused the transmission to constantly downshift/upshift at 65-70 MPH.

The interior quality was good, and held up well during my ownership. The interior cloth was very easy to maintain and never developed any permanent stains.

Conclusion:

I had planned to keep this car for many years ,but I saw the writing on the wall. I suspect that the Aveo, on average, will perform adequately for 50,000-60,000 miles, and then begin to self destruct. I know it wasn't an expensive car, but still, any modern automobile with proper maintenance should make 100,000 miles without significant problems or unreasonable costs.

For comparason, my daughter had a 1998 Chevy Metro when she was a teenager in high school/college (you can imagine the abuse it received), and it was as solid the day we sold it (approximately 70,000 miles when sold in 2004) as it was when it was new. Also, it never had and groans, squeaks or rattles. I have no doubt that the Aveo I owned will share this reliability.
    I know this is a long time since you posted this....even though you just missed the 36K mile warranty....wont the warranty cover it? Call GM customer service and complain. THAT is a huge safety problem...I think they cover issues like this for more time, like 50K miles??? I'm not sure. Can't hurt to ask.
    Very good report! I get the same MPG,no matter what.My trans acts like yours,it gets totally confused.My driver door keyway fell out inside the door.The chev dealer said "no star washer" was installed and nut loosened up and fell off.I know,now after 18,000 mi,I made a mistake,so the bank and me are stuck.2006 Aveo5. :(:(
    In a way, I am glad to hear others experiencing the same issues I had, but in another way, somewhat sad that the product hasn't performed well.

I decided to purchase this car after much deliberation, since I had experienced many problems with the GM vehicles that I have owned over the years, especially build quality issues. Mechanically speaking, I think their products are OK, and they will get you where you want to go usually, but the cabin quality is, how shall I say this...SUCKS!.

I also own a 2002 S-10 extended cab pickup with all available options, and it is an absolute rattle-trap. It is mechanically sound, and it gets me where I want to go, but inside the cabin it is "squeak and rattle" city.

I decided to give GM one more chance with the Aveo, maybe because I wanted to buy "American", or maybe because it is built in Korea...but I now know that it didn't take GM very long to export its "quality control methodology" to its Korean subsidiary.

I am sure that there are those who will say "Well, what do you expect in a $15 K car?", and there is some truth to that.

However, I expect the options and features to work effectively through the expected service life of the car, which should be longer than the factory warranty. Also, the suspension system should not creak and moan constantly, which is a big complaint on the Aveo.

For a suitable vehicle to compare the Aveo to, take a look at the Nissan Versa. It is priced slightly higher than a comparable Aveo, but the build quality is light years ahead of the Aveo. Also, you can get features such as the Bluetooth hands free phone system, which the Aveo doesn't offer. Or, how about the Toyota Corolla? My daughter has one she purchased in 2005. It has twice the miles on it than my Aveo had, and it has never been in for a single repair. It was priced slightly higher, had the very same options, more interior room and trunk space, and approximately 30 more horsepower. And, by the way, significantly better highway mileage and comparable city mileage. Don't tell me that GM couldn't do a better job on the Aveo...it was a concious decision to offer a substandard vehicle. After all, the Aveo isn't the Space Shuttle....

One last comment....this one about GM service. Maybe its just the dealerships that I dealt with, especially with the Aveo, but I always came away with the feeling that I was being treated like the red-headed step-child during a warranty repair visit. It was like I should thank them for doing me a favor by fixing my car. Of course, if you have to repair substandard vehicles on a daily basis, maybe you end up developing an uncaring and thankless attitude as a way of emotional and professional survival....

SO, I feel fairly confident that I have purchased the last GM product that I will ever own...There are simply too many other quality vehicles in the market for me to choose from. GM only has itself to blame for its market share losses...
    If you have read MY posts, you know I am no fan of GM at all! I agree with most of what you and others say. I seem to be the only one with a rattle FREE interior and no suspension noises. BUT I am treated like I am a piece of sh-- when I walk in for the constant exterior repairs. But on my car it is exterior build problems. Tires going bald at 2K miles! Hatchback constantly not opening and the lever breaking, Drivers seat ripping at the seam and replaced now 2 times so far at less than 7K miles, a 2006! But mechanically so far it is perfect. BUT I fuss over my vehicles, maybe tomorrow it will fall apart. I will NEVER buy A GM product again, I'll go get a Ranger truck again in a flash! I traded in my hot yellow Edge on this little car to be 'green'. I am 'yellow' instead, egg on my face! My Rangers...all 4 of them never gave me a days problem, If OPEC didnt have us over THAT barrel of oil, I wouldn't have bought this car...that only gets 15mpg in the city for me!! My huge 6 cyl truck got 18mpg! I got screwed bad.

First mechanical problem that isnt covered by the warranty, or things start creaking, or I start getting all the problems I read in here, I am heading to Ford or Toyota. I love the roominess and the zippy way the car goes, I made it look like no other Aveo on the road, with accessories that it turns out are only meant for Canada or Europe! Thanks EBay! Bodyside mouldings, that turns out was not meant to be sold in America! I am the only one that has them. All the Aveos I see are covered in door dings. Add a wild graphics body kit, Painted the wheel covers with Fusion spray paint, and put on Daewoo ones,since it is a Daewoo car basically. Dark window tint and it looks hot!

Replaced the logos on the hatch. When people with Aveos see it, they think it is from Canada, or shipped over from Europe! So far I have gone all of 2 months without a problem, now that I have said that, it will fall apart tomorrow!
    But after next year and the warranty is gone, I can get crappy mileage from a Ranger, and still get MORE than I get in this car! I like the roominess, the 'uniqueness', and the ease of driving it,and I see few on the road, everyone has the new sedan, but the mpg stinks, my tires are so bald I dont drive in the rain, I know they will blow out soon, at 6,500 miles! GM doesnt care. Calling them is a waste of time. But I will keep my car and sell it to the next sucker next year. LOW mileage and keep it looking so good will get me a great trade in and then screwed over by the next dealer. :shades:
    Sounds like a bad situation with this car. With every manufacturer their is always that problematic car that comes off the assembly and it sounds like you got it. I see today that a good amount of the new Honda Fit's were recalled for air bags. Sometimes you get a gem of a car with no issues and sometimes you don't but one will never know until after the fact. Your car should get close to 40 mpg so yes I would be ticked off as well. Have they flashed the cpu yet to reset.
    I took it in several time and they say the computer says it is tuned to the exact specs.
    They say it is because it is 100% city driving and I only drive like 3 miles a day, so it doesn't get heated up enough to run 'efficantlly'. When I do drive it for like an afternoon, running errands and drive up to 30 miles in one time. I can get a whopping 19mpg. If I time the rights right, drive like an old lady, take my foot off the gas when I see a red light ahead, and glide to a stop. And I always put it in neutral when I sit at a red light, it makes it run smoother and revs less and at a lower speed.

But I filled up today, half a tank, $16.00....the Escalde next to me, with just 1 skinny tiny woman in it, thats a lot to haul around,...was still filling up at $55.98 when I drove away ! So........
    I have the 2-volume set of the shop manuals covering the 2005 Chevrolet Aveo for sale. They were purchased from Helm, the supplier for GM's shop manuals. Since the hatchback has not changed much since the 2004 model, I would expect these manuals would also apply significantly to the 2006-08 model years as well.

If interested, make me an offer. The manual set cost $110.00 originally. You can reach me at aveomanual@live.com (a temporary hotmail account that I set up for this purpose).
    Try spraying the Boundary in a perimeter around the car..

The WheelMan
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A national magazine is doing a story about the new popularity of small cars and looking for people who downsized from a larger car to a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Mini Cooper, or Chevy Aveo -- someone who never envisioned themselves driving a small car, but felt forced to go small by gas prices that have shot above $3 a gallon. Or maybe they went small to show they are doing their part to save the planet, or stop terrorism, or maybe all three. Please respond no later than Feb. 6 to Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jeffinohiojeffinohio Member Posts: 1
    Wave 54. The only problem is that if it is the fuel system, the 5 year/60,000 mile doesn't cover it. Trust me, I went to court. More money wasted. The fuel pump was bad and they had all of this BS against me. The best thing about my Aveo is that as soon as it blows up, I'll be buying something that has a real warranty so that excludes all GM products.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Jeff...
    I'm so sorry about the STATIC you're going through with your AVEO.
    You know, I wanted to get the new 2009 version of the AVEO5, with all its "improvements"...but after reading various negative messages concerning the AVEO in general I find myself not so turned on to the idea of owning one. Know what I'm sayin'? I know you do!!!
    I hope this bad AVEO dream of yours, so to speak, comes to a favorable conclusion for you soon.
    Peace<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • timsehtimseh Member Posts: 24
    I'm curious why you're so dissatisfied with the warranty on the Aveo (other than it apparently didn't cover the particular failure you suffered). It's one of the best ever offered by a domestic. 3/36,000 bumper to bumper, 5/100,000 Powertrain.

I know some of the imports (and I use the terms "imports" and "domestic" loosely here, as the lines blur often) offer a 10/100,000 powertrain warranty, and I've seen TV commercials that I believe imply a "lifetime" powertrain warranty (though I'll bet it's not transferrable and I honestly can't remember who it was for... one of those things you half catch while getting up for another beer or to go to the can).
    Does anyone know where to get a factory looking rear wing for a 2006 HatchBack Aevo? I saw it on EBay last year, when I had no money to buy one, painted and all ready to just screw into the roof, into the holes that are up there under the paint. It was a company in Canada, and it was only like $195 for a Factory wing ,painted and shipped! BUT now I cant find them on there anymore.
    I have looked online and there are only rear wings for the sedans. Does anyone have any leads, other than going to the dealer,and that is unpainted of course. And I am sure the dealer would be super expensive. With so many online companies that sell rear wings...doesnt any of them sell one for the 5 door hatchback?? :confuse:
    Sorry, the fuel pump with the GM 5-year 100,000 mile warranty on new cars produced approximately after June 2007, is the most extensive in automobile warranties and covers fuel pumps, etc. You must be thinking of someother brand or don't own an Aveo.
  • yupper1yupper1 Member Posts: 17
    Has your car overheated? Is your coolant fan working? It may be fuse.
  • andy_handy_h Member Posts: 49
    Check out the post on April 2.

http://www.geocities.com/auto_world_blog/

Doesn't this car look like a God-like Aveo5?
    It has a resemblance to it. There are actually several cars that look like the Aveo 5 being that it was styled in Italy. This style car is popular with several manufactures over there and we will see more of this here soon.

Geely is known to have stolen several model cars designs literally, and has been taken to court more than once for copywrite infringement. This is the company that Chrysler will be doing business with soon.
    Hi. Thank you for answering my question. Do you have any experience with this company, or installing their wing? Did you buy one from them? Is it quality or junk? Does the wing attach to the car ,into the factory holes, that are on the car already, but hidden under the paint? Or did you have to drill new holes into your Aveo? Thanks.
    My Aveo came with it. But, I had aftermarket wings put on other cars, they are fine. Yours should be fine.
  • grace4evergrace4ever Member Posts: 30
    Wheelman: How long between oil changes with synthetic oil?
  • sozekizersozekizer Member Posts: 8
    sorry you got a lemon but here's my experience:
    I have an '06 aveo lt hatchback. it has just over 46K miles on it. i keep to regular maintenance (fluid changes, oil changes etc) and just put new tires on it as part of an effort to keep this one in great shape. i have not had any problems mechanically with it until the check engine light came on saturday so i'm getting that checked out .. no matter .. that's the way it goes with a heavy commute and 45K miles on it in just under two years. i regularly get between 32 and 35 mpg on the highway. there are some creaks but i'll get those checked out. i'm not at all dissatisfied with this car. this car is not a waste. in this day and age with gas as high as it is i've loved every minute of it.
    it's a great car for long commutes and it serves me well. anyone looking at the aveo should seriously consider it.
  • echo8echo8 Member Posts: 4
    Hello... I bought my 2007 Aveo hatchback in November of 2007, before I went on a trip to Arkansas last week i only had 1025 miles on it, while on the trip and durning the strong wind there was a loud noise, almost like a Windshield Whiper running on a dry window, the sound seemed to come from around the tire area, but I really am not sure where it came from, when the wind wasn't as strong the sound stopped, I know that I drove close to 1500 miles listening to that loud noise, I take it into the dealship in a couple of days, but of course it isn't making the sound now, does anyone have any idea on what could cause the noise? Any info would be great!
  • yngwieyngwie Member Posts: 16
    Hey Folks,
    I just got rid of my 99Crown Vic and bought an2007 Aveo 5 about 2 months ago. So far i love it(esp.at the pump!) It only had 2000 miles on it when i bought it. Now has 6k as I drive 55 miles a day to work. I'm glad I found this forum to hear what other owners think.
    Cheers!
    So, tell us what type you got and all the extras. Boy you went from a huge 'luxury boat'...to a very small car. Big inside though isn't it? So...tell us all what you got...did you get a sedan or the hatchback, color, all that stuff. How good of a deal did you get? Did the dealer give you a bad deal on your trade in. Are dealers starting to say things like, 'well you know big cars are not worth as much anyone', etc... yet? I hear that people are having a hard time getting rid of their SUV's...so is it the same for the big comfy cars as well :confuse:
    Did the noise come from all the tire areas? Or just one? It was probably just wind that got up behind those big pieces of plastic that are in the wheel wells,...you know, those hard plastic 'sheets' that keeps stuff from getting into the engine bay? The fact that it stopped after your drive,...probably means it was side winds getting in or behind some part of the car. Thats why I think it was one of those wheel well plastic pieces. Maybe one is loose and just needs to be tightened. IF it is still happening, then it is a problem! But these cars are known for having trouble with side winds, especially on the highway. Has it happened again? try to make it happen again. I would go for a short drive on the highway..and see if it happens,note the speed if it does,where it is coming from, and any other things going on IF it happens. Let us know.
    Thank you for replying to my message. I haven't heard the noise since I got home, i did drive the car today and didn't hear anything, I think your idea may be just what the problem is, i hope they can fix that, I didn't drive it on the highway, i will do that in the morning before I take it in. I got this car without even seeing it, I was able to test drive the sedan and it was pretty smooth, with the hatchback I can feel pretty much every bump in the road, if i had been able to test drive the hatchback I really am not sure that I would have bought it, but I don't really think its a bad car. Lots of room inside. They had to bring the car in from another dealership, for them to do that I had to sign a paper saying I would accept it when it got here. I was told that it had flip and fold seats, which it doesn't have, I am a Camper and the seats were a big thing to me. Before I signed for it I asked if it could have a luggage rack put on the top and they told me yes, well now they say one can't be put on it. Ohhhhh and those things they call Mud Flaps are like band-aids! But they didn't cost much so it really wasn't a big deal. When it was making the noise the wind was really strong, had to have both hands on the wheel to keep it on the road, and I learned fast that following a Semi wasn't the best thing, tossed me all over the place. I will say the gas mileage in great, I drove to lansing michigan (heard no noise), but there was no strong wind, from there to Arkansas which was just over 11 hundred miles it only took 123.00 in gas. I am going to have them check the tires tomorrow to be sure that they are alright. I got a great deal on the car, I got it during the Red Tag Sale, it was 13000.00 and my brother in law retired from GM so I got his discount, so out the door I got it for 11500.00. I financed it through GM and got 0 percent interest. Before this car I had a 1990 323 Mazda hatchback, bought it new and had it for 17 years, it only had 89000 miles on it, had little to no trouble with it, but things were starting to go wrong with it, i sold it myself and got 1000.00 for it. I really did like the Mazda. But I'm sure I will get used to this car and things will be fine. I'm really glad that I found this website, thanks for everything. I will let you know what the garage has to say tomorrow, I am a woman and some dealerships think they can push a woman around, but they might be alittle shocked if they try that with me.
    I got the Hatchback. it's "Victory red" a 5 speed with ac and fog lights. i actually sold the Crown Vic in a private sale. They wanted 9 grand for the aveo.it had only 2000 miles on it. The owner apparently did not like it and traded it in.I don't miss the old Crown Vic or the 70 dollar a week gas bill at all! I call this car "McDonalds" , cause I'm lovin' it!!
    I took the Car in yesterday, I do understand that its not making the noise now so its hard for them to know whats going on, the thing that I didn't like is that they say they have never heard of this problem before, what i am going to do is call around to other Chevy Dealers and ask if they have heard of this happening, where it seemed to be the worst was in Indiana, I have free long distance so I am going to search for a Chevy Dealer there and see if they can answer my questions about it, if it happened to me there then it happened to others. The first post that I put in here, I hope I didn't sound terrible in it, I really didn't mean to. They did tell me that if the sound happens again to go get one of them and we can take it for a ride. I mentioned about the Cross Winds and the Wheel Wells, they once again just said that they have never heard of the problem. Thanks so much for your help, with out it I would have walked in there with no idea's on what it could me.
  • okieman1okieman1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an aveo for my daughter and we are experiencing the same noise problem (great car except for noise problem), we noticed that it only was happening during high winds (crosswinds as well as head winds) and when we drove at highway speeds (60-70 mph). We took it back to dealer and fortunately it was windy when they drove it because they heard the noise, what they did for us was to tighten up doors to seal out wind noise - this helped immensely but it did not get rid of all the noise interference. They believed the remaining noise was being caused by the antanne cutting thru the air. Even though this noise happens less frequently and is not nearly as loud it was it is still a nuisance. Dealer said we could install a retractable antanne so it could be lowered during driving but they want us to have it installed and that is where we are at this point, I haven't argued the point because the noise problem doesn't happen very often any more so we kind of forget about when we have time to go by dealer and argue for a different antanne. At this point we are waiting for input as to how to remedy this problem without paying to have a different antanne installed. Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much for replying to my Message, I live in Michigan and we don't very often get high winds like that, it was the loudest near Indiana, the winds were really bad, but I haven't heard it since that weekend, our Chevy Dealer is know for not working very good with the public, I had bought a different car from them in the past and swore to near deal with them again, but I did buy the Aveo, the car is nice and roomy, and I do like it, i am hoping the sound does happen again so that they are willing to fix it, I am still going to call more Chevy dealers in my area to see what they say. Do you mind if I ask where your from? Like I said I am in Michigan. Rereading your message, we were driving on the freeways also, going between 60-70 mph. My dealership didn't even take the car for a drive. On your car, does the sound seem to come from around the tire area? Or from the front of the car? I know its hard to pin point exactly where the sound came from. Thank you so much!
    A retractable antenna? You must have a sedan?? I know the one on my roof cant possibly be retractable! But if it is down...you will not get any reception. That will be a long ride! Unless you have satelllite radio like me. GO SIRIS!
    Srius rocks. I installed a kenwood after market radio in my Aveo 5 with Srius. I love the car and sound!
  • nikkipnikkip Member Posts: 3
    problems with engine gasket at 7000 miles blew oil on driveway but fortunately covered by warranty. pinhead size crack at base of passendger side windshield is now footlong size crack quickly spreading. think it's a design or installation defect, or even an aerodynamic design flaw for such as small rock to hit there. windhsield wipers very noisy even with $25 per blade ones installed. heater seems to be having problems.. windshield not covered by warranty.