Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• daveo3daveo3 Member Posts: 2
    Welcome fellow Aveo owners,critics, and curious bystanders. I've been reading all the comments concerning the Aveo and want to add my experience with these cars. I've had a Sedan for a year, and an LT hatchback for 2 weeks(wifes). Boring!
    But that is what I bought them for-solid,care-free,economical transportation. My clock is still functioning,it goes thru the snow, the front tires don't vibrate at high speed, and I fill the tank every two weeks whether it needs it or not. I don't care what it used to be called, because all I call it would be dependable.
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I love my car...........I have now had it for two weeks. But, and it is a small but, I still haven't got used to power steering yet.
  • jjryanjjryan Member Posts: 9
    I've never installed these but noticed they are very cheap to buy. Almost pointless to pay labor to have them installed. Anyone know how they are attached to the car? Are the holes and screws already there or no?
  • ratsoferrariratsoferrari Member Posts: 20
    hey aveo owners, had my eye on the aveo's since they came out in 04.Checked the car lot on my bicycle and noticed how loaded up on options they have become since last year.Guess the dealers aren't making the extra profit they wanted.Anyway are you owners mostly positive about the way this car runs and does it have enough power to run on the NJ turnpike?
  • pappy49pappy49 Member Posts: 2
    Some comparison
  • pappy49pappy49 Member Posts: 2
    My wife car had the wheel shaking problem it was a bad tire. hope this helps
  • parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    I have Aveo 2004 w/6800miles on it, just returned from Florida running expressways all the way through Virginia and Pennsylvania etc. Car preformed flawlessly achieving 39-42mpg with Automatic transmission and cruise control on all the time. The thing you have to worry about is Speeding, this little baby will whip right along . Another thing I noticed there is little if any reaction from passing semi's, or from following semi's. There is little wind effect from side winds either, this is a smooth flowing vehicle. I have the 5 door with spoiler. Love the car!
  • ratsoferrariratsoferrari Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info parky129 I will be checking the aveo out this summer and hopefully gm will renew the cash back incentives.Good to hear it has enough power for the expressways and the handling is good around the big rigs.
  • rsmith1rsmith1 Member Posts: 9
    jjryan, If you buy the Factory Mud Guards from Chevrolet, they are very easy to install. They do use the existing holes and screws that are on the car.
  • jjryanjjryan Member Posts: 9
    Thanks rsmith1. My chevy dealer wanted to charge over $110 in labor to install the four of them. I was like ARE YOU CRAZY?! Most I would pay to install those is maybe 40. So I basically just remove those screws on the body and place them over those screws and replace the screws...Easy as that right?
    jjryan, Yes !! It took me about 1/2 hour to install all (4) of them. The front ones took longer to jiggle into place, but the Rear ones screwed right in. I was just on the GM websight and they now offer (2) different sizes of mudflaps with different GM logos on them. The ones I purchased were the smaller in size mudflaps.
    I would like to know what headlight bulb is used in the Aveo. I'm thinking of installing an Aftermarket replacement bulb,such as the PIAA or Silver Star. The Dealership can give me their replacement number, but not the actual number on the bulb that is installed in the car.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    You can do like any other Aveo owner, pull one of the bulbs out and look at the numbers on it. Or check with the Auto parts stores and see if they carry a replacement bulb yet.
  • deltabravodeltabravo Member Posts: 3
    Part numbers for the Aveo specific mud guard are:

These are the countered style that are offered as a factory option.
    I had my dealer look them up today - they show up in their computerized microfiche parts lookup system. They are about $6 US each.
  • daveo3daveo3 Member Posts: 2
    You can use existing screws to attach the mud guards. If installed on the vehicle the price is $60. The rear guards are different on the base model, than on the hatchback.
    Just a Note:
    The 2004 Base model was available in both the Sedan and Hatchback models, having three equipment levels the Value package being basic :) highest level was LT. In 2005 the Base model is replaced with the LS model, then the LT is top equipped model. These reflect different equipment levels in the Aveo.
  • sparxxxsparxxx Member Posts: 14
    I was checking out some local Chevy dealerships' inventories on the internet, and came across a couple dealers with Aveo Hatchback LT's in "Key Lime" exterior color. Has anybody seen one of these?? I checked out Chevy.com and they don't even list this as a possible color for the '05 Aveo.

Thanks
  • illtreaturite1illtreaturite1 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have seen the lime green aveo color. The local dealership said that chevy doesn't even have the color code out on the color, and they don't even know how they got it. They said if you go to do a national search on that color, you can't because they have no clue what the color code is. If you see one, and want one, best bet is to stick with the dealership you found it at, for now anyways.
    I saw one of those a few days ago and couldn't figure out were the color came from since it is not in my 2004 or 2005 literature.....does anybody have an ideal about this color....I love a mys.....
    How did it look? Sounds kinda suspect, but still I am interested...is it like a mint green or something?
  • igdtnigdtn Member Posts: 6
    I have a key lime green hatchback and get tons of compliments on it. I am the only one in town with one. I drove 2 and a half hours to get it. It is a lime green.
    ">Is there a way to post pictures I can post a picture of my Key Lime Aveo.
  • marmadukemarmaduke Member Posts: 2
    Just put in the NAPA "Off Road Only" 100w/80w H4 bulbs in my '05 Aveo. I can see the deer on the road well into the next county! Not too hot for the headlamp assembly...nothing has melted after hours of continuous use., and I haven't gotten flashed by the oncomming traffic while on "low". Wow! What an improvement.
    The reason those are stated as OFF ROAD ONLY is because they are not for highway use. They are too high powered and exceed the federal standard for highway use. Have you ever driven down the road and wondered why some headlight dazzle you and seem to be on high beam, wnd when you flash your lights to have them dim their lights the high beam is brighter yet.They are probably breaking the law, as you are putting OFF ROAD bulbs in your headlights.Jute a Hint, if you get stopped with them in headlights it is a ticket.
    I am going to start carrying my camera in my car in case I see those Key Lime Aveos again. I saw one on a road trip throught southern oklahoma around lake Texoma. I had my camera but I was passing it on the road....
  • tabbyjtabbyj Member Posts: 6
    I did a google images search and came up with this... http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/un3/161-32.htm

I too found key lime green listed as a color, I think it was on the Kelley Blue Book site, I did the search then. I like the color, unfortunately I have yet to find one around here.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    key lime Chevy Aveo hatchback here in mid-Missouri. I had to do a double-take on it...very nice selection for the little beast, indeed. :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Hey could the Key Lime be a color out of Canada?
    Hi Randydriver, I got my Keylime out of Denecker Chevrolet in Vergennes VT and they told me it was a new color for 2005 but it wasn't in the catalog this year. It is a sharp looking car for sure I get tons of compliments. By the way my name is Debbie and I am from VT. I really wanted orange but hubby wouldn't let me get the orange. :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    in a metallic orange shade as well. :D:D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• marmadukemarmaduke Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, but I am much more sensitive to my fellow drivers. If I have yet to be flashed by oncoming drivers while on the "low" setting of my "off-road only" bulbs, than I am obviously not offending them and using them responsibly. Has it occurred to you that they are marketed as "off road use only" simply because the average motorist is too unconcerned to use them correctly on a public highway? As for the "dazzling" low beams you speak of, those are those Sylvania BlueStar knock-offs that all the racer kids with the big tires and loud exhausts are all running. And finally, if law enforcement wants to spend the time disassembling my Aveo's headlights on the side of the road during a traffic stop to see if the H-4's conform to public highway standards, well it's a sad commentary on the state of public safety and its abuse(s).
    Well I am about to go on my second road trip from Dallas to Athen then on to Tyler and from there out to Shreveport. I will check my mpg and see what I average. Last trip to Oklahoma I got 40.3.
    It is not necessary to remove the bulb to check light output, thay just check the light output with a meter. They check the output in lumens to see if it is in the range approved for highway use.
    It does I wanted the orange really bad but hubby wouldn't go for a orange car. It is so cool looking. The Key Lime is great to though.
    I got my mileage figured out for my long Dallas to Shreveport trip(via Athens). Oh, the mileage was 39.8 which isn't bad considering there was a stretch of the trip were I was driving over 70mph.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    How do you order Lime green or how does a dealer even get Lime green if there is no listing for it.? There has to be some listing somewhere. How odd. The only odd color that has shown up at the dealer down the street from me is turquoise. It really stands out in the line up. It isn't a very masculine color and unless they keep getting just one of that color in at a time it isn't selling at that dealer ship. Every other color has come and gone. Hatch's are still selling faster here. They never seem to have more than on or two sedans on the lot but have a whole row of hatch's that get replaced often.
    I saw the lime green and it isn't the turqoise. Very 50's color though......the turqoise that is. Went to the Auto Show yesterday here in Dallas and they had a lot of people clumped around the two Aveos there, unlike last year. That lime green looks sort of like the green Volkswagen uses or used.
    Is the lime green heavy on the metallic like the old VW green? Yes the turquoise does look 1950's doesn't it. Chix car for sure. ;)
    Check out this link for a shot of a key lime aveo hatch somewhere in Arizona:

key lime comin' at ya

Pretty tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Picked up my white 5-door LS last Sunday. Got it with CD/MP3 player and spoiler... which is exactly how I wanted it. local dealer had to do a dealer trade with another dealer to get it.

First mileage check: 24.91 city driving, has 339 miles on it after 1 week of driving. I just checked the air pressure - all 4 tires were 26-27. I inflated them up to 30psi.
    Much nicer to spend $20 to fill the tank than $50-55 that it takes to fill my 2500HD Silverado (which is now parked in the back yard)

I ordered the factory mudguards before I even signed the deal for the car.

I wanted a car with very low payments and what made the Aveo so appealing is that I used the rebate/earnings from my GM credit card www.gmcard.com which amounted to $2400 of the price, plus the $1000 cash incentive... WOOHOO!!!

Cruise control would be nice, so I may add that at a later date. Read in this forum from others who have added it and like the ease of installation.

Are there any other Aveo forums out there? I've searched and haven't found much yet.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We don't allow the promotion or links to other Forums, so please don't ask for others to post them here.

Thanks!
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Congratulations on your car. Is it an auto or 5spd?
    What was the sticker price, and what did you get it for?
    Sounds like you got a great deal, you must have the
    old (and better) version of the GM card, right?
    I got the auto, LS model with Spoiler and CD/MP3 player.
    sticker was $13285, I got it for $12,650 (which is just below reported invoice here at edmunds.com) , deduct the 1000 rebate/bonus and then also deduct my $2491 GM card rebate.

Yes, I hve the origianl GM card, they call it "the blue card", with it you can use ALL of the rebate earnings towards purchase unlike the newer cards that limit you to a certain amount.

2nd fill up resulted in 27.77 MPG city driving, car now has 450 miles on it.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Great deal - wish we had a spoiler too.

If there was only some way to get the original GM card, I would never let go of it! I
    has anybody fitted after market wheel on their car, how do you like them.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Bob Lutz at work? Looking forward to seeing the hatchback-- hope it continues in the lineup.

Good to see a family resemblence develop. The '06 rear end looks like an improved 'Bu. The front end has just enough chrome without overdoing it like the current Malibu. Just a bit of chrome, thank you.
    yes the front does look very similar to the Malibu. I think the the hatchback will stay around since it seems it so popular.
    did a fill up today and it was just city driving and got 32.1 not too bad
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Better car or is the Suzuki dealer network weaker? :confuse:
    It seems like the Aveo is having less problems. The Verona is horrible it sounds. Lots of computer and transmission problems... Forenza problems sound less so but still more than the Aveo. At least from these forums anyway. Stand alone Suzuki dealers are from my experience better than multi line dealers. A friend at work had an odd thing happen. She took her Suzuki Sidekick into a Chevy dealer to have something done. The service manager said it would take a week to do the job because they didn't know much about these Suzuki's . I laughed and said she had one put over on her... They deal with Suzuki all the time. If they have worked on a Chevy Tracker it is the same vehicle. DUH