Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Shootout! Tundra vs Silverado

quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Enjoy. Click on the images to enlarge.

http://members.aol.com/sturbridg1/utahtrek.html

Quad

Comments

• dropperdropper Member Posts: 47
    Very nice read. Well written.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Thank you sincerely!

Will keep my day job, just in case.
    I don't know, Rube. Never really seemed like racing. Would not do this kind of thing on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Quick sand, radon and martian visitors are all we've run across so far.

By the way Tp, speaking of BRP, Ichabods in Blowing Rock has the World's Greatest Hamburger east of the Mississippi. Just ask Cindy, my sister in law to set you up!
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    Where are you from? I thought you were form CO but you know about Ichabods. I went to school in Boone and frequented the drinking establishments of Blowing Rock, and am going there this weekend. We always called it IckyBobs. Go next door to Woodland's for some of the best BBQ around. Have some land on BRP and hope to build house on it someday after I get out of NC for a while and then realize I shouldn't have left. Good article.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    You, of all people, should know I'm not Rubluetoo.

Are you gonna respond to my race challenge posted on Tundra vs. Big 3? My Honda 50 kicks [non-permissible content removed]!
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    Quad, what rear end do you have in your truck?
    Tp4,
    Sorry for the confusion. Was not saying you were Rube, just addressing you both separately in same post. Honda 50? Now there's something that finally can fit in Tindra back seat!

Mviglianco1,
    From Texas originally, but Colorado since '82. Cindy and Joe own IckyBobs. They had a fire there recently, in back where the pool tables were. Now they tell me, it's going to be a patio. NC is nice. Tweetsie, Ashville. Joe took us boating. I drove my street bike from Blowing Rock, up to Ashville on BRP couple summers ago. Pretty up there. My wifes mother lives in BR in the summer.

Arkie6,
    I have the 4.10 gear with Eaton locker.

National Geographic hasn't called yet, so I'm off to work!
  • nuwonuwo Member Posts: 63
    Quad, your report is too objective and will likely take all of the fun out of the me vs. them pissing match. Sure you didn't miss a fatal flaw on the Tundra? (P.S. I enjoyed your account; it was well done!)
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Lets see, I ride dirt bikes like quad. Started on a Honda MB5 (is that your honda 50?)like TP4UNC, and spent lots of time on the BRP as I lived in Hickory, NC for 4 years.

Love Flagstaff though......
  • devil1devil1 Member Posts: 74
    You must confess the Chevy's are kinda homely compared to the Tundra. I never have liked the looks of the Chevy (I do admire the x-cab). It seems they are somewhat old fashioned looking, but I am sure a lot of people like that about them. I like the Ford and Tundra myself... debating which one..
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    That's the great thing about this format! Anyone can express what they think!!! I really like the look of the Silverado! To me it's just right, but thats my opinion & I respect your's.

The Dodge has that 18 wheeler look, I liked the look when it first came out, but that look know is rather tiresome. The Ford has the space look (I call it the bubble boy truck), it just looks too round for me! The Tundra just looks like a Ford ripoff!!!, but then what do you expect from Toyota! Just my two cents worth!
    rcoos
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    I can't confess that. To me, the Silverado got both the looks and the best drivetrain in it's new model.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The silverado has a very good engine line up but I would disagree about the the drivetrain being the best.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Since this is a Tundra vs. Silverado topic and the the other players are not considered, I'll agree that the silverado has a much more attractive body stle than the Tundra.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I do not think the Tundra body looks that much like the F-150, I think Toyota copied the interior (of the F-150) more than the body style. I think Toyota copied the T-100 and Tacoma style. I have a hard time telling them apart. The fact that they are almost the same size could be a factor.

Tundra does not look that bad, unless it has the wheel flares or a topper. IMO this makes the truck look funny.
    Thanks Nuwo, but if I had found a fatal flaw I probably would have skipped writing anything.

The Tundra I drove was about perfect, if you don't count the soft rear end when loaded.

Still love my Silverado.
    Was at the local concrete / propane / trailer hitch dealer yesterday (needed gas for my BBQ grill). Parked my 4x4 X-cab Silverado next to a 2x4 Tundra access cab. The owner of the Tundra and the owner of business were in the middle of an argument. The Tundra guy wanted to buy 1.5 yards of concrete - but they would not sell it to him unless he had a truck that would haul it. Tundra man said his truck was able to handle the load but business owner would not accept his truck as "big" enough to handle it. Tundra guy said "my Tundra is a full size truck" Business owner points to my truck and says - "this is a full size truck - I have been sued for letting a guy in a compact truck leave here with a load of concrete" He ran into a Honda at a stop sign and the Honda owner sued his business, his attorney had advised him to no longer let customers use compact trucks to haul concrete. I am not saying the business owner was right, but the Tundra guy left with no concrete.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Even you should be able to come up with a better story than that.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    Actually, concrete is about 150 pounds per cubic foot and 1.5 cubic yards is about 13 cubic feet or very close to a ton! In addition to the concrete, there is what ever it is going to be transported in. So maybe we're looking at 2200 to 2500 pounds.

I would be wary of putting that much in my Super Duty F-250.

Rich
    I do not know how much concrete weighs. I would think your estimate is close. Your super duty is rated to tow over 10,000 pounds, I am sure it would not have any problem with 2,500. U-cart gives you a trailer that they fill with wet concrete. So it would be like pulling a large boat. -- Even a compact truck is rated to tow 2,500 pounds..Why would you not want to pull 2,500 pounds with a super duty??
    Rrichf must have meant in the bed.

In this April 2000 edition of Truck Trend, they state that as little as 1 thousand pounds in the bed of a 3/4 ton Ford Super Duty or 2500 Silverado will be enough to cause the headlamps to shine above the curb, enough to occasionally irritate oncoming traffic. High beams are useless. That's how much we take for granted.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    Yes, I assumed that the load was being placed in the bed. Towing it, I wouldn't have a problem. Using an old '86 (6.9L) I level towed an E-x50 (I don't remember if it was a 150, 250 or 350.) camper conversion for about 300 miles. On some rough roads the E-x50 would push me around a bit. The trick was to slow down some and everything was fine. Stopping distance was (Obviously) increased. Looking at the deliver it yourself ready mix situation, I have to agree with the ready mix yard owner. Our illogical legal system does not protect us from opportunistic lawyers looking for deep pockets.
    Rich
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    I love my Tundra!!!! I like it more everyday. Except for the other day when gas prices went soaring through the roof. Even at 18.4 MPG I still love this awesome truck.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I just dropped in to share an experience I was witness to yesterday. In front of me was a new Silverado in one lane and next to them was a newer Tundra V8. When the light turned green the race was on..... The Tundra lost by at least a truck length to the next light. With all this hoopla of how fast the Tundra is supposed to be 0-60 it just made me chuckle...... Granted, I don't know what engine the Silverado had in it, but what it had stomped the Tundra.
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    That Chevrolet had that V6 and that 3:08 gear and be driven by Rubes 106 year old Ma, judgin by that truck length whippin, as them Chevrolet V8 ones would of left that tundra eatin even more dust for sure. Good luck on this one now!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    It is obvious from your posts that you have graduated from 3rd grade. This makes you a great spokesman for Chevy, since you obviously do not have a brain.

If facts mean anything to you (they obviously do not) here they are:
    The full-size facts tell the story.
    Earlier this year, AMCI, an internationally recognized automotive testing and evaluation firm, conducted a series of independent performance evaluations on all the top full-size pickups, including the new Toyota Tundra. And while some full-size truck fans might do a double take, we weren't surprised by the findings at all. In many of the most significant categories, Tundra models handily outperformed the competition. Click on each of the categories above and judge for yourself.
  • wrightr34wrightr34 Member Posts: 4
    Chevy Silverado 1500
    Acceleration (0-60 mph): 8.3 sec.
    Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 137 ft. (I can pretty much stop on a dime)
    Roadholding Index: 0.72
    Base Number of Cylinders: 8
    Base Engine Size: 5.3 liters
    Base Engine Type: V8
    Horsepower: 285 hp @ 5200 rpm
    Torque: 325 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 57 cu.ft.
    Maximum Payload: 1965 lbs.
    Maximum Towing Capacity: 8700 lbs.

These and other stats can be found at
    http://www.edmunds.com/newtrucks/2000/chevrolet/silverado1500/ls2wdextendedcabsb.html

Tundra
    Acceleration (0-60 mph): NA
    Braking Distance (60-0 mph): NA
    Roadholding Index: NA
    Base Number of Cylinders: 8
    Base Engine Size: 4.7 liters
    Base Engine Type: V8
    Horsepower: 245 hp @ 4800 rpm
    Torque: 315 ft-lbs. @ 3400 rpm
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: NA
    Maximum Payload: 1924 lbs.
    Maximum Towing Capacity: 7200 lbs.

These and other stats can be found at
    http://www.edmunds.com/newtrucks/2000/toyota/tundra/sr5v82wdaccesscab.html

I think the stats alone speak for themselves.

I love my 2000 Silverado. Comparing these two trucks is like comparing apples and oranges, although the cost for these two is virtually the same.

That's my 2 cents.
    If you really need to tow 7200 lbs, you should be driving a full size truck!
  • wrightr34wrightr34 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry, I gave the link to the LS, I meant to give the link for the LT.......The LT gave the stats for the 5.3L engine. I have the LS but got the 5.3L v8 instead of the v6. I would safely say that most of the stats for the LT with the 5.3L would be the same(or very close) for the LS with the 5.3L. (That is horsepower, torgue, etc.)

Here's where I got the numbers from.

http://www.edmunds.com/newtrucks/2000/chevrolet/silverado1500/lt2wdextendedcabsb.html
  • 606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    pulling out a 99 Z71 Chevy stuck on the beach in Jacksonville. Followed this up by pulling the car out that the Chevy got stuck trying to help. Though I think my Tundra is a great truck, the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A's work awesome when they are aired down to 15 psi.
    Ive got some good pics that Ill get a link to soon.
    Why compare Base V8 engines? I think you should be looking at the best a company has to offer / or the available choices offered. Then the customer can choose what works best for him/her.

BTW - there is no charge for ordering the lower rear differential - it is a no cost option. Is the tow package (SR5 not limited) and heavy duty shocks a free option on the Tundra or do you have to pay extra for them? Your post makes it sound like you pay for these on the Silverado but they are free on the Tundra. The Silverado is rated higher in MPG than the Tundra (Even with the larger V8). I think both are good trucks, the Tundra was just too small, I need a back seat that can be used for people.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    This I gotta see! The Z71 at least has somthing of a rearend, Toyota is open, not even a limited slip! Please, post the pics.
    You took a chance, of getting salt spray near
    your Toyota, to save a Chevy. The Z71 driver owes
    you big!
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    Looked at both with plans to order a new one. Decided to order/purchase a Silverado with the 5.3 instead of the Tundra. Did not like the style and small size of the Tundra, but I don't question the sound quality of the Tundra. Toyota must revise its styling and sizing if its wants to get into he market sales of Silverados and the other full size trucks. Otherwise the Tundra will only be on the market for a few short years. Sales volume will be the downfall. Owners will take a beating on resale. Major mistake in building that size truck(Tundra). Should have stayed with the small trucks if they were not going to to all the way. Sorry Tundra owners, I do not mean to step on your toes, but that is the way I see it. Bob
  • 606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    I think the key factor was that the guy in the Chevy had underestimated how bad the car was stuck...it was on its front axle completely. He also had the stock tires which arent all that great on most every truck.
    What helped me most was airing down the tires. I tried pulling him out at first but got all my tires spinning with no motion. (then he took his foot off the brake....just kidding). I stopped this early and aired down. With a little brake modulation and easy throttle I got him out. Pulling out the stuck car wasnt a big challenge with right technique.

I agree...good tires and a locking rear and the chevy probably wouldnt have had a problem.
    Agree a locking rear end and the right tires make a big difference, but the most important thing is knowledge. Sand can be tricky, once your wheels start to spin you can dig yourself down and become high centered in just a few seconds. At that point it does not matter how much HP, etc you have.
    Was a yuppie drivin that Z71 now? This could be explainin much if so. Good luck on this one now!
    Where are the pics???
    The Tundra does not require a towing package to tow its rated load. A towing package is not an option on the Tundra. The truck comes with the necessary transmission cooler and oil cooler stock. It is extra on the Silverado.
    Comparing road test performance of the Tundra to the domestic full-size trucks says a lot about how successful Toyota was in its mission. In certified testing done by an independent testing agency for Toyota, with similarly equipped trucks, the Tundra went 0-60 mph in 7.87 seconds, which, compared to the bigger domestics, put the Tundra quicker than the 5.9L Dodge Ram, tied the 5.3L Chevy, and behind the 5.4 L Ford by only 0.300 second."

It seems the Tundra does compete well with the largest 1/2 ton V8s available.
    Here is the previous quote from trucktrend ( www.trucktrend.com ) in its entirety:

"Comparing road test performance of the Tundra to the domestic full-size trucks says a lot about how successful Toyota was in its mission. In certified testing done by an independent testing agency for Toyota, with similarly equipped trucks, the Tundra went 0-60 mph in 7.87 seconds, which, compared to the bigger domestics, put the Tundra quicker than the 5.9L Dodge Ram, tied the 5.3L Chevy, and behind the 5.4 L Ford by only 0.300 second."
    I think you forgot a few details on the equipment you will need to tow the max rated load on your Tundra.

1. You will need a Receiver hitch - or is your bumper rated at 7,000 pounds?
    2. You will need the wiring harness to plug your trailer lights in.

The Tundra does come with an oil & transmission cooler standard (I assume the weak T-100 tranny in the Tundra needs the cooler even when it is not loaded). The tranny cooler is part of the tow package on the Chevy.

I still think your analysis is flawed- but you do the math.

Tundra wire harness Code 9Z $159, Tow receiver hitch code DH $379 = total cost of $538
    Silverado "tow package" includes Hitch platform, trailer wire harness and tranny cooler code Z85 total cost of $285.

The chevy also includes the wire harness needed to hook up an electric brake controller at no charge.

Based on your understanding of what it takes to tow I hope I never meet you on the hiway at night when you are towing 7,000 pounds on your bumper and have no trailer lights.
    Cant get that factory hitch on them tundra limited ones now. So much for the haul on them ones now. Them yuppies who be reachin for them tundras dont know nothin bout no haul anyways. They be readin on this and that, and now they be the expert? Yep, they be real "Truckers" in them tundras for sure. Good luck on this one now!
    Best be rememberin this one now:

tundra=less truck, more bucks

Good luck on this one now!
    That wimpy Silverado of yours will only tow 5400lbs? The Tundra will tow 7200lbs.

The Chevy may have ABS, but the Tundra still outbrakes it.

With the Chevy, you will need the 24hour roadside assistance. Better keep their number handy.

The Tundra comes with a 60 month, 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. The Chevy is only 36 month, 36000 miles.

The Tundra is ranked number one by J.D. Power and Associates for initial quality for 2000 full size pickups.

The Chevy is so unreliable that it is off the chart for consumer reports predicted reliability. ( -90%)

To top it all off - a comparably equipped Chevy costs $2000 more. I posted the source of the pricing and the configuration of both trucks. If you have any questions you can go to www.priceline.com and check for yourself. I checked these same two trucks on www.carpoint.com and got the same results. Face facts - the chevy costs a lot more.

You can call a Tundra micro-size. It doesn't really matter - it still out tows, outbrakes, and out accelerates Chevy's so-called full size pickup.
    That wimpy Silverado of yours will only tow 5400lbs? The Tundra will tow 7200lbs.

The Chevy may have ABS, but the Tundra still outbrakes it.

With the Chevy, you will need the 24hour roadside assistance. Better keep their number handy.

The Tundra comes with a 60 month, 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. The Chevy is only 36 month, 36000 miles.

The Tundra is ranked number one by J.D. Power and Associates for initial quality for 2000 full size pickups.

The Chevy is so unreliable that it is off the chart for consumer reports predicted reliability. ( -90%)

To top it all off - a comparably equipped Chevy costs $2000 more. I posted the source of the pricing and the configuration of both trucks. If you have any questions you can go to www.priceline.com and check for yourself. I checked these same two trucks on www.carpoint.com and got the same results. Face facts - the chevy costs a lot more.

You can call a Tundra micro-size. It doesn't really matter - it still out tows, outbrakes, and out accelerates Chevy's so-called full size pickup.
  • 81chevy81chevy Member Posts: 37
    would you read the freaking post,

on a comparable Toyota to that Chevy only tows 5,000, while the Silverado can tow 5400, why don't you read the post you dumb anti american.
    Using Carpoint, since you used that as a reference

Says:

Max Towing Limited Access Cab 4x4 (only one that comes standard with the V8, but is the highest rating)=max=7100

Max Towing Silverado LS Extra Cab 4x4= 9,400

How again can your tundra out tow the Silverado?

And as far as braking goes you are comparing a lighter truck so can't really make a fair comparison
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    Why not compare apples to apples, I assume it was toyotas highest hp engine, lets use the highest hp Chevy engine and compare the two. Oh yeah and how about 1000 pounds in the toyota bed and the Chevy empty, seems fair to toyota thats how they like to compare em.
    Since a Silverado 1500 is not available with a 6.0 so it would not really be apples to apples - would it? Are you suggesting that the Tundra be compared to a 3/4 ton pickup?

It looks like you fell for the B.S. that trucksrus has been spouting about Toyota rigging the test. Toyota did not run the test - an independent test facility did and ALL of the trucks had a 1200 lb. load. See for yourself:
    http://www.toyota.com/cgi-bin/top_frame.cgi?low_frame=tundra%2ftundra.tmpl&data_frame=%2ftundra%2facceleration.html
    still waiting for that Reply on how the Chevy has a 9400 lb max trailer weight to Toyotas 7200

hmm seems you were wrong
This discussion has been closed.