Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I know a lot of people (including me) who take very good care of their low-end cars (and they take care of me). I see a lot of abused non-low-end vehicles. This behavior is not limited to one class of car, and it's not true across the class.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    You mean not true across the class of car, not the class of people.

Certain classes of people manage money and assets very poorly, they get into binds and can barely afford to make car payments and insurance, let alone any maintenance. They do buy many different brands and models, but a preponderance of the $250/month car customer will buy a new Kia or Hyundai, even though they really should only be in a $165/month car.

You know that commercial on tv with the guy mowing his lawn, talking about his nice house, car, etc and payments up to his eyeballs.

Forgot to mention, add the fact that many of the lower end cars are much less tolerant of neglect than cars that were designed a little better, and you have disaster on the way.
    I meant class of car. I really think any discussion about "class of people" is of no relevance to this forum.

I really don't know what you mean by "less tolerant of neglect". If you fail to maintain any car, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Try not keeping the fluid levels up on a Lexus, for example, and see what happens. Its "better engineering" will not help you when the transmission fails, the engine seizes, or the A/C stops cooling.
    I think you missed the point or I was not clear enough. More likely the latter, my explanation.

When refering to the class of people, not meaning any socio-economic or other class, I mean people who do not manage assets or money well. i.e Most people who cannot manage money well do not maintain assests well, i.e. car.

Having been in engineering, a car or other electronic or mechanical system that was engineered to sustain a higher level of operation beyond normal will take a greater level of neglect and abuse before failing. In addition with different engineering specifications, they (the manufactures) pretty much know given a certain design criteria and manufacturing tolerance what the mean of failure due to normal use will be for a given component. It is a critical balance between cost and reliability.

Take the Geo Metro 1.3L engine, well designed, used very little oil, as a result was more tolerant of oil neglect, sludge damage would occur after 10s of thousands of miles of neglect. Take the 2.0L Chrysler engine (or the early Saturn engines), known to use oil, if neglected very long oil level would get too low and engine would seize up well before 10K miles.

The Daewoo Lanos 1.6L/Aveo 1.6L is generally a good engine, but does require some 'normal' attention as all cars should have. Timing belt replacement due to the interference engine design comes to mind as a biggie. Seen lots of Lanos on ebay with broken timing belts at 65K-70K, past the recommended 60K.

Back when I was 20, I fell into the 'class' of people that was not very smart about managing money or credit. I wised up pretty quick and it took years to get things right. Some people on the other hand simply do not take care of money or assests well at all. Like the old auto mechanics saying, you can pay me a little now for maintenance and preventative repairs, or pay me a lot later.

Hope this is a 'better' explanation and with the examples more explanatory.
    When it comes time to retire my current ride, a 96 Metro Sedan Automatic, 138K. I am leaning very heavily towards a slightly used Aveo Hatchback. I kind of like the fact so far that they do not command really high resale values used. Pretty decent initial reliability from a powertrain and major systems standpoint. Plus the local Chevy dealer has the best service department of any dealer around, probably the biggest factor.

For a small car the ride is well controlled, relatively quiet (luxury compared to my 96 Metro), nice interior, good feature content. $8,000 gets a fully loaded certified 2004 hatchback with less than 20K on it.
    I don't think I missed your point. You were insinuating that a certain class of people buy low-end cars. Stereotyping is stereotyping, and it's a dangerous practice however you define the class of people. Let's talk about cars, not the classes of people who drive them.
  • oyveyooyveyo Member Posts: 12
    The point is valid. People who can't manage money rarely can manage routine maintenance schedules. It's not a socio-economic thing at all. Inexpensive vehicles often are bought by owners who don't see the big picture and fail to plan for the long term (oil changes, proper break-in, etc.). Sure, many a Lexus gets beat up but it's more out of, "Hey, I can buy a new one tomorrow" . It ain't irresponsible if you can pay for it...just a pity.
    What is the typical payment on a 60 month loan on a $12,000 Aveo, 7% interest, sales tax down? ~$237. In order to get a 60 month loan at reasonable interest rates the car must be only one or two years old and relatively low miles. The extra $13/mo to bring it to $250 will put the extended warranty out to 100K.

What new cars does the Aveo compete against for the $250 a month buyer?
    Hyundai Accent or Elantra
    Toyota Echo, maybe a stripped Corolla.
    Maybe a stripped Honda Civic.
    Dodge Neon, with big rebates.
    Ford Focus base with rebates.
    The Suzuki low end lineup, Aerio, Reno, Forenza.

Given the current Hyundai/Kia warranty, more people who are first time car buyers, or are only approved for a $250 month payment are chosing those cars. Given the recent improvements in quality, it makes sense.

I think GM did the right thing in bringing the Aveo to the line-up. If they would only look at the warranty and include 'free maintenance' or a maintenance package with the sale of the car, it would go a long way.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    ...ok, before we get too far off-track, let's get back to discussing the Aveo. Tons of people love this car for a variety of reasons. Let's stick to the car please.
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I know this is off subject, but has anyone modified the grill on their car? I mean got rid of the bar and bowtie.
  • lemon2lemon2 Member Posts: 3
    The clock on the Aveo is a joke. The dealer has replaced 3 clocks in 19,000 miles of driving. The dealer also told us that GM has a real problem here and they say it is electrical. Even the new vehicles setting on the lot for sale have problems. GM never admits to any problems but if you pin them down they will tell you we know about it, we just can't get the clocks from the supplier.Thank you GM maybe I'll call you every time I need to know what time it is. (lemon2)
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I also have the clock issue...what is your current stance on this? Continue to swap out clocks, live with what you have, wait for a fix, or what?

I also spoke with the GM "representative" about this...they are like the secretary in the old Mission Impossible TV show/movies, as they have no "knowledge" of any problems...
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    It is ironic now that GM is 300 Billion dollars in debt! I wonder who is going to rescue them. Daewoo was worth rescuing because they had a good product. Is GM worth rescuing?
    BTW, the Daewoo Kalos AKA Chevrolet Aveo is now sold in Canada in more disguises. The Suzuki Swift, the Chevy Aveo, The Pontiac Wave. All the same car.
    And they are all over the place. A huge success in Canada.
    What is this clock problem that yall are having. I havent had any problems with my clock.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    It's to bad about the clock issue; hopefully, they will correct this issue, if they already haven't. If it were me, I would tell them that I will wait until they get the correct part. The clock issue is not so terrible.

As for front end grill modifications, I also would like to see some. And im sure there are a lot already out there. I was thinking of that myself, along with the Cobalts; front grill. It looks like it wouldn't be a clean cut with the OEM grill, and the whole grill would have to be replaced.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    The clock problem that I have experienced consists of 2 issues.

1- It loses time, but in my case, it appears to be related to running the car. If you leave the ignition off for several days, the time loss doesn't seem to occur. By time loss, I am talking about 1 to 2 minutes a day.

2- Sometimes, the clock simply resets itself to an arbritrary time. This happens to my clock approximately once a week.

I suspect that the resolution to this problem is simply a filter on the power input line to the clock, as I suspect the ignition "spikes" the clock with excess voltage/current each time the car is started.

My plan is to wait until there are enough Aveo's out there with this problem so that there will be enough folks complaining about it for GM to finally issue a fix for it.

Just seems like a sad commentary on GM, having such a nickel and dime problem of this nature, especially since digital clocks have been standard on cars for the last 20 years or so...you would think this would be an area where there would be no mis-understood issues....go figure...
  • igdtnigdtn Member Posts: 6
    Hi, My clock every once in a while will change time. It usualy happens if I stall tthe car. It annoying since it is usually the day I don't have a watch on. On another note has anyone else got the key lime green besides me yet I am always having people ask what cololor it is called. I still wanted the orange though. I love my Aveo so far. It is almost time for it's first oil change. : :D
    I like the orange the best also, but the green looks interesting.
  • wildstoutwildstout Member Posts: 1
    Hi all I just bought a new cd player for my Aveo and I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the stock cd player out?
  • oyveyooyveyo Member Posts: 12
    There are two plastic strips on either side of the stock radio about 3/4" wide. They snap out with a flat blade screwdriver at the bottom (be careful) The rest is easy.
  • ratsoferrariratsoferrari Member Posts: 20
    While pulling into the shopping center I had the chance to talk to the owner of a blue 2004 aveo hatchback.She complained that the windshield cracked, the radio had to be replaced and the front headlight was already out.To top it off she said it took the chevy dealer forever to get the parts for the aveo. This is the first negative report i've heard from an aveo owner around here.
  • jjryanjjryan Member Posts: 9
    I know it was mentioned before but did anyone find out if the fact the car seems to kick when downshifting to a stop from average speed is normal or not?

I noticed it does it I think when going from 2nd to 1st right before making the stop (ie: at a stop sign, etc). No problems like this upshifting though. That seems to remain smooth.
    Sounds like a bit of bad luck with her car. My years past Pontiac Lemans (Daewoo) also had a cracked windshield after being hit by a rock. I intended to stop buy an auto parts store on the way home to get a glass fix kit that would fix this minor crack, but within a couple miles it was too late, the crack expanded more than a foot. Had to be replaced. I think I paid under $150 for the whole thing installed.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Maybe all the people on this forum that have the clock problem should report it to the government. I mean if 13 people complaining of a stall in their Prius can get the government to wake Toyota up and make national news then the problems with the Aveo should be announced too.

I know GM doesn't listen but I wish they would offer a different interior color than tupperware gray. The Xtreme has black and the Kalos Dream has black. Looks good to me. Also I know there is a bunch of people that like tan. How about blue and red also. Adding color to plastic can't cost that much.

I will not hold my breath but how about the three door coming to the USA? Anyone heard the forecast for chance of Hell freezing over?

http://magazine.avtoindex.com/images/daewoo/2004/kalos_3.jpg

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1799
    I have not heard any news about chevy introducing a 3 door aveo, but from the picture it would probably be a very good seller.I was hoping chevy would bring the Matiz into the USA since the Smart car will be selling here soon.
    People should be able to buy basic cars for transportation, the more options you add, the more troubles and costs you have.
    As for the Prius unless i'm travelling a lot of miles a year, spending almost 30 thousand is a waste of money.From what I hear replacing the battery alone may cost three to six thousand dollars.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Only if they put it on the front page - I mean, clocks not keeping time is the sort of safety hazard that should initiate an immediate government investigation.
    The idea of a Toyota Prius sounds ingenious, but the reality is that an owner is really losing money with a hybrid.

Hybrids cost thousands of dollars more to purchase than a comparable gas model. The savings in gas are short term and it will take on average between 5-7 years to recover the cost of additional money for this car. If the owner chooses to keep the car 5-7 years, now they have an issue within a couple years on replacing the batteries which are supposed to last 8-10 years. Batteries are expected to be less money ($1500-3000) at that time.

So one has to decided how long they will keep a car like that. Will they sell it at 4-5 years and not absorb the depreciation that will come within a few years on battery replacement, or will they keep a car like this long term?

Jeep recently introduced a diesel engine in the Liberty in which supposedly there is a short supply of, and people are waiting for deliveries. I ask why would someone wait for a vehicle that gets no better mileage than the gas version it's trying to replace. People are paying over $4000 over a regular Liberty to get a diesel engine that gets maybe one MPG better than the current 4 cylinder model.. How can people can be so misinformed and outright stupid.
  • jjryanjjryan Member Posts: 9
    I'm new to having a car with a plastic interior but I noticed for the first 30 days I owned my 2005 Aveo that no dust gathered on the dash or the area near the windshield. Now it's gathering very easily. I've been told to clean the dash with Windex and not Armor All because it dries it out and tends to crack a dash over time but the dust still comes. Anyone found any secrets to repelling dust from these or similar dash cars?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I know this is off topic but I just had to respond to your message in regards to the Jeep diesel. It would appear you are actually the one that is misinformed. While mileage will vary in the real world, the diesel soundly trumps the gas four banger Liberty in gas mileage. The manual tranny gas engine gets 20 city/24 highway. The automatic equipped diesel gets 21/27. Apparently you can't even get an auto with the gas 4 banger, which is something most people want. There is also a considerable performance difference between the diesel and the gas engine. The diesel is rated at 160 hp/295 ft lb of torque whereas the gas engine is 147 hp/165 ft lb. Towing capacity for the diesel is 5000 pounds compared to only 2000 for the gasser. Hmm...I see 3 reasons now to pay extra for the diesel: better performance, better towing capabilities, and better gas mileage. It's a win-win situation. Obviously, those who pay more do so for a reason. Now, with hybrids it's a different story.
    Let's face it, very few people buy a Liberty type vehicle to pull a trailer, etc. The average buyer, like a pickup truck buyer, buys it as a commuter, status symbol.

For the additional money for the diesel option, and the small MPG difference, its really not worth it. Have you seen the price of diesel recently. Much more than regular unleaded in the Midwest.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Seeing as how at least 90% of the Liberty buyers get the V6, which is only rated at 17/22, 21/27 is definitely not a small difference. I have also followed some of the Liberty discussion and many owners were averaging 15-16 mpg. Quite terrible. If you had the ability to average more like 24-25, wouldn't you pay a little more for that? Plus, diesel buyers tend to keep their cars longer then the average buyer, which means they will actually see the difference in the long run, not to mention the better durability of diesels. Diesel in my area (Florida) runs about the same as 89 octane, which is about 10 cents more per gallon then 87.

I would love to own a small SUV, but the gas mileage on most of them is deplorable, so I think Jeep was smart in offering a diesel and I would gladly pay more for it. When your choices are getting a bog slow truck with so-so gas mileage, better performance with a noticeable drop in gas mileage, or good performance and the best gas mileage by a good margin, the choice is very clear for me even if some extra money is involved.
    yes I agree diesel engines last forever, guess that's why all the big rigs have them.Wish some of the compact cars would offer them, considering they run better and cleaner than they used to.If you have to you can use biodiesel fuel.
    They have a diesel version in Europe why is it so hard to get a diesel anything in the States???
    It's so hard for a few reasons, for instance:

* Diesel fuel is subsidized in some European countries, making it cheaper than gas. In the U.S., diesel fuel is more expensive than gas--about 40 cents more per gallon the last time I checked in my neighborhood.
    * In California and states that follow CA pollution regs, diesels cannot meet those regs today.
    * Diesels have a bad reputation because of what they used to be like--rattletraps, noisy, smoke-belching, stinky. Modern diesel cars aren't like that, but there are so few of those in the U.S. that the perception lingers.
    * Notice the emphasis on quickness for cars in the U.S. For example, Car and Driver complains because a new Ford can't do better than 8.2 seconds 0-60, and Motor Trend names the Chrysler 300 Hemi its Car of the Year. Diesels, especially those in small economy cars like the Aveo, are typically less quick than their gas counterparts.
    It is kind of funny that we complain about some strange things like 0-60. I realized that that those times went down in the mid-70's and throught the 80's since I collect old car mags and have the times for lots of cars. Nowadays we expect all our cars to perform like old muscle cars......and for what reason? I dont need a car that does 0-60 in 8.0 seconds, fifteen seconds would be good. I remember lots of small car running up in the high teen and through the twenties.

Enough of that though,Why dont we use more biodiesel? The farmers are payed to grown nothing but corn and soybeans and that would make better fuel than food.
  • parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    :) I think we are getting off in left field, this is supposed to be an Aveo discussion forum. As far as diesel engines are concerned I winter in Florida and have many friends who own diesel vehicles, their biggest complaint is that when they bought the vehicle diesel fuel was cheaper than gas. Now with the government using so much diesel fuel in the war, diesel is higer than gas and with the added maintenence cost associated with diesel they are regretting buying the diesel vehicle. Why don't we just be glad we have an economical vehicle and leave it there. I have an Aveo automatic 5 door and am getting 33 mixed city and 42 highway on gasoline. I have normal oil changes and other costs associated with gas engines and am happy not to have a diesel. :confuse:
    You know car and driver, if a car doesn't go 140mph and doesn't cost over 40 grand then it is a piece of junk to them. That leaves the Aveo out on their list.
    with the high gas prices you would think US automakers would start downsizing a lot more. I like the car commercials where there isn't a car on the road, hey I live in New Jersey, that's not gonna happen.
    Actually, C/D gave the Aveo a pretty positive review (for them, for an econobox) awhile back. My comment was more wrt the general obsession with 0-60 times in the U.S. automotive press and much of the buying public. I owned a Dodge Caravan that gave fine service for 8 years and it had a 100 hp 4-banger. I think that's less hp than the Aveo, right? (Caravan had more torque of course.) And I and my family did just fine. I even got my first speeding ticket in the thing! :)
    My 1988 Pontiac Lemans (Daewoo) had the regular 1.6L engine with 4-speed manual and had enough power in its 74 hp engine to merge into traffic fine. If I was in a hurry it seemed to move out pretty good. I know it took over 10 seconds for 0-60 mph, but I never had to time it. At the expressway toll boths I usually won the drag race out of the both to merge into the driving lanes first.

Thats one of the problems with our culture. 0-60 times are much more important than how long one can go between gas fill-ups. I don't even watch commercials on TV that promote 0-60 times.
    yeah the commercials think everyone drives for NASCAR, move over Dale Jr. boogity,boogity,boogity!
    I have seen several Aveo's this past week. One five door was in Aqua, and the other was in the bright blue metallic, very sharp color. I would like to see a five door in that pastel blue color.
  • nordricnordric Member Posts: 1
    I have a pastel blue 5door hatch its a SVM model check out my cardomain site for photo's if ya wanna see what it looks like.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852615
    The pastel blue looks sharp. The wheels look very good with this car, what size are they? With a stock suspension, how large of tires and wheels will this car take. Would 15" 60/205 size fit. Are you going to swap your original wheels on in the winter, or are you in a snow free state.

I see Chevy has finally released body side molding for the Aveo. I would probably install the molding; too bad it doesn't come body color or transparent.
    I was wondering if they will have a sport package on the Aveo? They use to do it on lots of small cars.....sigh. The hatch would be a good car for it.
  • bloblo Member Posts: 1
    My Aveo is the biggest piece of hud. My wife bought it in october 04, it has been in the shop three times with electrical problems since we have had it. and it goes back tommorrow
    1st time Faulty radio with a nasty gremlin. It would turn on and off at will. Fade in and out. It was possessed. Must have been from KIRBY Vaccuums.
    2nd time dome light that was shorting, electric shock when getting out of the car, leaky A/C system feeding back into the passenger side foot area, wind shield wiper arm assembly,
    3rd time all the porblems from second time. So they say the had "Fixed the Aveo the second time" We had dome light problems that didnt get fixed til we said we are staying til it is done. We had to watch the guy to make sure he did it.
    tommorrow Still getting the crap shocked out of us, carpets are mildewed because of the A/C leak and the new radio has started to act slightly possessed. Reccomend DO NOT BUY AN AVEO!!!!!
    Factory told us we are using the wrong fabric softner for the shocking problem.
    Sounds like you are having a round of bad luck with your car. My car has had not one problem.......I have always gotten shocked getting out of cars, that is an ongoing family joke.

Have you checked to see if they will trade it for another car? They should ,,,,I dont care who makes the car every maker has lemons.

Good luck ...and sorry about your experience.....
    Sorry about your problems. Hopefully they can get it repaired correctly this next time. It sounds like you got that one in a thousand defective cars.
  • rsmith1rsmith1 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone noticed how lousy the Aveo Sun Visors are when turned to the side when the Sun in shining in the early morning hours. They are not long enough or they need the extensions like other cars have. It is something that Chevrolet needs to add to make early morning driving safer.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Got our automatic Aveo up to 36.6 mpg this weekend, cruising mostly at 75mph. (it's an automatic) Took delivery with a bad radio, but since it was replaced, the car has been flawless. 6 or 7 months old and about 9000 miles on it.
    Best to keep all your repair records and if the repairs continue you can try using the lemon laws in your particular state.Hope they make the right repairs and things get better.