Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Yeah, kind of like telling the people on the Titanic that it was going to sink in a few days. They just laugh or would not even listen. I agree that the 3door hatch is sharp looking and we should have it in the USA. GM also needs to drop some money into engine development and get the fuel mileage up a few more mpg on the Aveo.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I will be at the grand daddy of all auto shows (Chicago) next month. Chicago uses close to 1.5 million square feet for its setup, and has over 1,200 autos. Years ago I went every year but of recent only about three times in the last ten years. The current Aveo is a pretty descent car and can only get better.

I agree, if Honda can advertise 40 mpg in the Civic, why can't Chevy? Other GM engines are very efficient in their respective classes.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I also had the clock issue when I first took delivery of my 2005 Aveo. However, I had the Rostra cruise control installed, using the factory specific unit for the Aveo, and have had no more incidents of the clock losing time, reseting itself, etc.

Since the shop had to remove the battery to install the cruise control unit, I suspect that many of these "flakey" electrical issues are caused by a poor electrical ground. It could be just a coincidence, but I would suggest that the folks having these problems check the battery and electrical connections in that area. Sometimes, the most obvious solution is also the correct solution...give it a try.
  • jstant01jstant01 Member Posts: 65
    Does anyone else live in an area with no Aveos for sale? I have been to our local Chevy dealer several times in the past 3-4 months, and have NEVER seen an Aveo on the lot. Prior to that, they might have had 1 or 2, but that was it.

What's up with that? I live in Michigan, where more people drive GM than probably any other state. This floors me. I suspect it's probably dealer greed. The same dealership had 65 Chevy Trailblazers on the lot. They also sell Cadillacs. So maybe the Aveo is "beneath" them, or they think they can't make money on it. Hello - you're going to make some money on any car sale, even if it's not the thousands you would make on a gas-guzzling SUV! I don't understand the mentality of these people!
  • soul2movesoul2move Member Posts: 2
    I want to let everyone know that my fiance and I LOVE our bright blue Aveo LS hatchback that we purchased this weekend...with the 3.9% apr for 60months our payments are very reasonable. We got it 1/22 and made a 200 mile roundtrip to the Carmel Coast to take care of some items for our wedding. Let me tell you, I owned a 93 Suzuki Swift 5sp hatchback and up untill November of 2005, a 95 Honda Civic Ex 2 door. This car handles and rides so much better than both and the amount of room inside is unreal!!! I was also looking at a Kia Rio, but the Aveo after a test drive was a quick and very quite ride. My fiance loves the color and the look (i think it looks ok, love the color), but i can't get over the comfortable freeway and city ride, the peppy engine, the great mpg (est on this trip was 30mpg with only 234 miles on the car)and the room, I am SO glad i picked one up and would highly recommend this ride to anyone!!
  • bastydbastyd Member Posts: 1
    ">I am getting one Aveo LS myself shortly. There is one thing that I do not like and it is that in my area all the available Aveo LS are with the rear spoiler a $ 225.00 option and I do not want it or like it, it is just plain waste for me.
    I have been waiting since long for the Hyundai Accent three doors, Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris to come out, but they are taken too long to introduce them and I am tired
    of waiting.
    Please tell me if your car came with the Rear Spoiler too
    as the manufacturer chosen option. :confuse:
    Thanks and enjoy the car
  • soul2movesoul2move Member Posts: 2
    My Aveo LS did not include the spoiler...the only extra it came with was the AM/FM Stereo with CD/MP3 player (a feature i really wanted)....I dont understand the point of a spoiler with this car..guess its for looks :). Anyhow, I hope u get an Aveo LS soon....I am sure u will enjoy it!!! I know I have...you really cant go wrong!
  • oyveyooyveyo Member Posts: 12
    Mine came with one but does anyone know if it keeps the dust and dirt off the rear glass like the ones on minivans and suv's? I can't tell since i don't have many dirt roads to drive.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Congratulations! Is yours an 05 or 06?
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    Same deal in my area (CT) - no Aveos on the lot, but dozens and dozens of Caddys and SUVs. I suppose I can't blame them -- the Aveo is not a real hot item and the profits wouldn't even cover the light bill at the dealership.

Bottom line: They're selling what people drool over and what covers the bills.
    Fully agree -- this car needs more development, not new sheetmetal over the weak engine and substandard suspension.

Have 53K on my 2004 and I really don't know how long it'll hold out. Feels way too much like an older KIA.

Have had several repairs already -- not huge items but it still costs hundreds to fix since most parts are only available through Chevy. This is turning out to be a real expensive economy car!

The mileage is just so-so. Have averaged about 31 mpg with mostly highway and parkway driving at 55 to 70 mph.
  • sparxxxsparxxx Member Posts: 14
    Here in NC there are 4 Chevy dealerships that are in my area, and 3 out of 4 actually have a few Aveos on the lot. These are almost always the hatchback models and they are the LS trim level. What is ironic is that the biggest dealer of the 4 doesn't have any Aveos on the lot, but they have so many Trailblazers and Tahoes they can't fit them all and have to use some stray parking lot across the street.

One dealer still has 2 or 3 05 model hatchbacks they are trying to get rid of, and they have them so close to the street they are about to roll into oncoming traffic.

I am still waiting (patiently) for a maui blue 06 hatch LT to show up. Oh well...called chevy direct and the customer service rep I spoke with had no drop date.
    Interesting that you feel it is under powered. I have driven a couple of them and they are very spirited. In fact, I had a 1988 Pontiac Lemans (Daewoo import) with the standard 1.6 L engine which at that time had 74 hp. I had a four speed manual and the car had more than enough get up and go. In comparison the new Aveo's are screamers in acceleration. I sold a GTO a couple of years ago so I am well aware what performance/acceleration is and the Aveo is what it is. Road tests and write-ups put it either at the top of it's sub-compact class or near to it. The new Kia from what I have read is real poor riding among other not so positive things but again this is an economy car.

Additionally, the Aveo is the top selling sub-compact car in the U.S. with over 50,000 units sold in 2005. I have seen large dealers with up to 10 or so on the lots, but people are still in love with their SUV's.
    It's not that I feel it's underpowered -- I know it is! While fine on flat highways, the car slows severely on upgrades and downshifts more than any car I've ever driven, including other 4-cyl subcompacts with an auto trans. I don't live in a hilly area either -- can't imagine this car in the Rockies or Vermont!

It probably needs just 10-15 hp to bring it up to par. Less strain on the engine could even improve the mileage.

Owners do seem quite satisfied with the Aveo, yet most of them have very low miles. I drive 1000 miles+ per week and mine has become troublesome and doesn't feel as though it will hold up well. At 54K miles, the car seems old and creaky already, especially the front end and suspension. It has been an issue for many owners I've corresponded with -- the suspension creaks, groans and crunches while turning or going over bumps. It started at 18K miles and is getting worse by the day. The dealer has no fix but to replace tie rods, struts and shocks at my expense, of course.

Unless they've improved quality and durability of components on later models, I would never buy another Aveo nor would I recommend one to anybody unless they just plan on driving it to 15-25K miles and then trading.
  • christoforadamchristoforadam Member Posts: 2
    After picking up my car at the dealership two days ago and driving it home, I popped the hood to familiarize myself with the engine bay. I checked the fluid levels and noticed that the power steering fluid was sitting between the "full" and "low" levels. I thought this a bit strange for a new car, so i called my dealer and said that i'd bring it by on monday to top it off.

I took it out for ice cream that night, and noticed the fan belt whining slightly, and occasionally when I turned. This really suprised me for a brand new car, but i figured i'd have them tighten it when i took it in for the top off. The fan belt got worse over the course of the weekend, and today when I popped the hood I noticed that the power steering fluid level had dropped below the min line. Further inspection showed a leak which appeared to be coming from some piping near the fan belt.

The power steering fluid had sprayed onto the fan belt, causing it to slip and squeal. I took the car back to the dealer and got a filthy malibu with an empty tank. I hope this is dealt with properly and swiftly.

Other than that, I really like the car and was growing quite attached to it. It's very quiet, especially on the highway, and my first tank was shaping up to be around 33 mpg, which isn't too bad given that i've been doing mostly city driving and that the engine has factory oil and less than 200 miles.
  • tventtvent Member Posts: 17
    I'm thinking of upgrading my radio with a cd player. Anyone know how to avoid setting the theft-lock on the radio when removing it from the car or how to reset the radio theft-lock if it comes on? I kept all the documents that came with the car and can't find anything in the owners manual pertaining to radio lock-out codes.
  • juangojuango Member Posts: 1
    After reading so many bad reviews about the Aveo, I am going to wait for the Toyota Yaris in the Spring, here in New Jersey.
    I do not care if I have to pay more and get Toyota quality.
    I tried to buy American even if it was built by Daewoo.
    No wonder they are having money problems, even bankruptcy.
    How can they sell this Aveos with the scary problems I hear in this forum, what a shame!.
    I read of a woman driving one of them and had the electricity cut off while in the highway and had a four cars accident. No way Jose, I would wait for the new Japanese unit hell freezes over, if I have to :P :P :P ">
    GM eliminated the theft lock code mechanism after the 2004 model run. I have a 2005 and it has none. Also, if you are planning on upgrading to the GM provided CD/MP3 player, it works well, with one exception...I have a 2005 with the unit, but I have to clean the CD player lens every 6 months or so, as it has a tendency to collect dust for some reason, causing skipping....Its easy to do, just use a can of compressed air that you can get at any computer store that is intended for cleaning the dust from disk drives, etc...about $4 to 5.00 a can, which will probably last the life of the car.
  • starg8fanstarg8fan Member Posts: 1
    hi, i'm having lots of trouble with my '04 aveo as well, in fact, it was totalled today when the brakes went straight to the floor. when examined by a neutral party garage, they said there were many mechanical malfunctions besides the brakes and yet, there were no warning lights. how do i get in touch with General Motors? I would really appreciate your help.
    Wow! No brakes at all? Considering that all modern cars have dual brake systems, specifically to avoid what happened to you, the odds of a multiple system failure must be pretty high. So, a total failure has gotten my attention.

What did the shop inspection determine to be the problem? Also, have you had braking issues earlier, and if so, did you have the Chevy dealer perform the repairs or an independent shop?

I have heard that some folks add the incorrect DOT # brake fluid to the master cylinder, which can cause the synthetic rubber parts in the wheel cylinders to decompose. That would explain the failure, so I am wondering if that was the problem.

I am interested in hearing what you find out about the cause, as well as what GM does for you.
  • christoforadamchristoforadam Member Posts: 2
    Well, they fixed it overnight, and did a great job. Even washed and waxed my car. It turned out that there were a very small number of high pressure hoses that weren't manufactured to specification. My car is running great.
    What kind of problems have you had?

Our Aveo is at 20k, and nothing to speak of yet...(knock on wood)
    After reading so many bad reviews about the Aveo, I am going to wait for the Toyota Yaris in the Spring, here in New Jersey.

Good idea -- I wish I had. The low price is enticing, but you lose it all and more on repairs and terrible resale value. A Toyota with high miles will always be worth more than an Aveo with low miles. I'm gonna take a beating, but I may have to trade the Aveo while it still runs because I know it won't go the distance. Too many problems before 50K miles!
    how do i get in touch with General Motors? I would really appreciate your help.

There's a toll-free number to call in the warranty booklet in the glove compartment for Customer Satisfaction -- in US - 1-800-222-1020, Canada - 1-800-263-3777. It might be better to talk to the dealer you bought it from first. Good luck.
    Good luck with GM. I called that same number and did get a live person, but they seem to be more interested in having you talk with someone rather than in researching or fixing your problems. My opinion is that it is simply a marketing tool, but has no real influence in getting anything done.

Still, it won't hurt to give it a try...what have you got to lose?
  • cellinocellino Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any experiences trying to power a laptop in an Aveo? I have a 2006 Aveo LT and the power inverter kept shutting down after only a couple of seconds. Not enough power to run a laptop? :confuse:
    You should report this to the government. That could kill someone.
    It is probably the adapter not fitting in the socket correctly. I recall someone else had an issue with a cell phone or something that didn't power up correctly a few months ago.
  • rollerskaterollerskate Member Posts: 2
    For a 2005 hatchback.
    As you probably know they have an optional roof rack, but you would have to go on goggle or somewhere to see if someone makes one for the surf board to secure it properly.
  • kleinautokleinauto Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone Just wanted to let you know the front speakers are blown after playing metallica way to loud.

Has anyone had to replace the speakers in the aveo models,
    if so is it complicated?
    I have the service manual, and if you can figure out a way to attach files to this forum, I will scan the pages describing replacement procedures and send them to you (about 4 to 5 pages).
  • flav2000flav2000 Member Posts: 8
    I am wondering about the RPM range for the 4spd A/T.

My sister just bought a 2006 Pontiac Wave hatch (which is the same as the Aveo 'cept the front grille). I drove it a couple of times and I notice that the RPM for shifting to a higher gear is between 2500 to 3500RPM. The 1996 Chevy Cavalier we had before (2.4L 150HP DOHC, 4spd A/T) and our 2003 Chevy Malibu both shifts in the 2000-2500RPM range.

Is this normal? I notice this especially going uphills in 2nd gear where I am near 60km/h, the engine at 3500RPM and it has no desire to shift until I ease up on the pedal.

Just want to confirm it's not a sensor problem or something like that. We absolutely love this little car even though it's nowhere near the preppiness of the Cavalier we had.
  • toomuchrocktoomuchrock Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone Gotton this Armrest yet?

I am dying for an armrest but i really do not want to do anything invasive to the vehical. If there are any screws or severe modifications this is going to be a luxary ill have to pass up.
    I buy cars to drive, not to crash. Otherwise, I'd drive a H1 Hummer.
    I drove it a couple of times and I notice that the RPM for shifting to a higher gear is between 2500 to 3500RPM. The 1996 Chevy Cavalier we had before (2.4L 150HP DOHC, 4spd A/T) and our 2003 Chevy Malibu both shifts in the 2000-2500RPM range.

Is this normal? I notice this especially going uphills in 2nd gear where I am near 60km/h, the engine at 3500RPM and it has no desire to shift until I ease up on the pedal.

Yes, this is normal. It's a smaller engine that turns at a higher RPM for a given speed. I have a 2004 A/T and in gentle acceleration it shifts at around 2500 RPM. On a steep grade or an uphill highway ramp merging into traffic, the engine will reach up to 4000 RPM (or higher) before upshifting.
    I just realized that I spent effort on a discussion about the Aveo's "European crash test results".

The Aveo is not sold nor available in Europe.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Let's return the focus to the Aveo. And remember to be civil...that would be appreciated too. Thanks!
  • woodsmanmnwoodsmanmn Member Posts: 13
    I bought the armrest on ebay from a fellow out of canada.
    Yes, get it. The quality is very good. The color match is not perfect, but you'd have to sit and stare at it to notice. Installation is eazy, four self tapping screws secure it to the center console between the seats. It doesn't interfere with the rear cup holder or the power outlet. It also opens up to add some more storage, which is in short supply in an aveo.
    I was able to get mine for $96.00, including shipping.
  • drmoodmandrmoodman Member Posts: 1
    You said you have the Service Manual? Whewre can I get a copy of the Service Manual? I have a 2005 Aveo LS and can't seem to locate a manual. Thanks! DSM
    You can buy it from Helm Publications...www.helm.com, I believe. It is a 2 volume set...very detailed...
  • alixjackalixjack Member Posts: 2
    hi, i have 2004 aveo hatchback with 54,000 miles on it.

i found on the chevrolet website that aveo's and cobalts come with a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

i called chevy right before i found this information and the lady told me that its 3 year/50,000 mile warranty.

does anyone know for sure which is correct?

my starter and timing belt just broke and i dont have a million dollars to fix this stuff. any help is appreciated. thanks.
    I don't know about the 2004 models, but I am looking at the window sticker that I saved from my 2005 hatchback, and it clearly states "5-Year/60,000 mile limited powertrain warranty...see dealer for details".
    I just found the quote below on Edmunds review of the 2004 Aveo...

"If the Aveo has a weak spot to consider, it would be its warranty. With only three years or 36,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper coverage and five years or 60,000 of drivetrain coverage, the Aveo doesn't quite match its competition."

I would think you are covered on both parts, as they are definitely drivetrain related...
    A) As "clearly indicated in their official report" this is "clearly" not the same Aveo as is currently released in the United States. Look at the picture of both the car being tested, and the picture of the car tested. The description of the side air bag system also confirms this.

B) The 2005 Kia Rio they tested corresponds with the 2006 model in the US.

I understand your desire to inform everyone of how poorly the _next_ Aveo (sedan only, at this point) did in the tests, but please do some research before you come in here and bash a car based on false information.
  • kris14kris14 Member Posts: 5
    I admit the front on the Euro NCAP’s designated Model 2006 Aveo test car looks slightly different from the U.S. model 2006 Aveo. I do not see any difference in the side view of the crashed car.

Your statement that the crash test is for the coming U.S. Aveo model 2007+ may indeed be correct. I find it impossible, however, to believe that GM-Daewoo has managed to design a new model for world export that is significantly less safe than the current U.S. 2006 model.

Incidentally, I did not write about the safety of the Aveo solely for existing Aveo owners benefit but more so for all the people that value safety and check out this forum before they buy. Hopefully GM-Daewoo will find a way to improve the design of the model 2007+ Aveo, based on the Euro NCAP test.
  • alixjackalixjack Member Posts: 2
    awesome thanks!

my service technician ended up covering it with the warranty... but he can't find the part! even the factory doesnt have it!

AVEO'S ARE LAME.
  • flav2000flav2000 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for letting me know.

I have spent a few more hours with the Wave. I would say that GM Daewoo did a good job in getting the power out of the engine when needed (by revving the engine). This is probably the reason for the bad gas mileage. It's pushing almost the same acceleration power as a Cavalier but with a much smaller engine. That's the only thing I dislike.

But I guess this is better than Corollas/Echos/Tercels I have been in. No matter how much you step on the gas same thing happens - slow accelration
    This model is the third version of the old Lanos platform, a car which incidentally did better on the test back in 1999. So it is clearly possible to do worse on a test with a new car (even though it shouldn't be) I admit, seeing those pictures puts some doubt into my mind, but I also doubt that a car that could got more stars in US testing
    than the Scion xB, could do that badly.

I also hope that GM-DAT finds a way to improve this cars scores - that is an embarassment.
    The Chevy Kalos is the same as the Aveo. The head lights are different. They are the original Italian design. They were changed to meet US regs here. Also they do not get the 1.6 engine. 1.4 is the largest they get. They get nicer wheels then we do and have some with sport suspension. Other wise it is the same car. Europe also gets a neat 3door hatch that should have came to the USA.image