Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• gla4601gla4601 Member Posts: 40
    I have come to the conclusion that I am over reacting with this car.

On the no-start situatuion my biggest fear was being stranded but each and every time it happened (10 or so times now) it has started within a few minutes. Nobody else here has mentioned that they got stranded because of it so therefore there is no reason to beleive any of us will. I am parking my other vehicle and strictly driving the malibu for the next month and I will take whatever it dishes out like a man but I am willing to bet it will be un-eventful.

I recently mentioned that my steering started twitching a few times. Well it has not done it again in 3 days. Maybe just a temporary glitch.

I mentioned I have a bunch of rattles. Well for sure something is loose or broken inside the door and rattles like hell. The other rattles, much less severe, seem to come and go maybe with temperature but the one in the door probably makes any others seem much worse. Last night the GF and I went to a Xmas party and I was brave enough to take the Malibu. On the way home she commented on how quiet the car was. Sure enough I lower the radio and heater and it was in fact very quiet. Maybe it was the 2 beers I had. Ooops. Should not say that.

I am even going to try hard and look at the malibu as more than just transportation. I do believe theres hope for me and my bad attitude.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    ......and keep in mind that GM Engineers also have REAL jobs, and don't have all day (and weekends) to sit around and answer questions on Edmunds' webpages.
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I have to say that my last 2 visits to the Chevy dealer were more than satisfactory after an initial problem with the first visit. I have 11.5k on the car. The only warranty issue was a faulty thermostat causing the check engine light. I have the "howl" and the service manager took the time to explain the cause of the noise and the fix if I wanted to do it. I have decided not to do it at this time.
    The remote start is spoiling me. too bad the heated seats are not an auto start.

The Pontiac dealer I use could be a model for what service departments should be. As much as I like my Maxx, my next vehicle will come from the Pontiac dealer because of his service department.
    he, he,... my next car will be one that never goes to the service department
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    gla4601 and 3745,

Next time you take vehicle to the dealer please ask if they could check to see if your vehicle (with 4 cylinder) has the latest PCM calibration. Unless your vehicle had already been updated, it won't.

I did receive a response indicating your intermittent short crank, etc does sound like the issue addressed. Of course no promises being made but looks promising.
  • gla4601gla4601 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks e2helper. any help/advice at all on the no start is welcome.

Wondering if I could ask what problems the latest PCM addresses. Reason I ask is I have had the vehicle 6 months and has not been back to dealer, so no dealer updates have been done. The 4cyl engine in mine runs absolutely flawless (other than the no start). For that reason sometimes I feel "if it aint broken dont fix it" unless of course the update(s) pertains to no start.
  • jess33jess33 Member Posts: 13
    I totally agree pao about the service dept's and their lack of knowledge of the TSB's. I had to get the exact TSB #'s from e2helper and give them to the dealer before they found them! Just to test them I gave them my three issues- rear shades on moonroof, PCM recalibration, and tranny howl. The response- "there's a fix coming on the shades, nothing on the PCM fix, and nothing on the tranny. I gave them the TSB #'s, they found the shades and PCM, but no tranny howl. My # on the tranny TSB was off by one number a 0, I called them back with the right number and they found it. I don't know if it's how they access the numbers or what. As frustrating as this is, I guess you just have to be an informed customer, no one's looking out for you, (well maybe, e2helper, the TSB #'s are invaluable info!)

On another note I have decided to have my tran howl fixed. My thinking is that this is a documented fix under warranty, and in theory any future issues on the tranny, even out of the warranty will be covered as it was documented and fixed while under warranty. Anyone with thoughts on this? I have almost 11,000 mi. and it howls constantly. I noticed on another post that a potential concern is the vibration caused from the howl and the long-term affects from that. I've noticed a many people choosing not to fix it.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    At least one of the changes in the calibration is specifically for an issue that sounds like what you were experiencing.
  • maxxlt2004maxxlt2004 Member Posts: 71
    State: WI

overall i would like to know the following:

since i have had my car in 3 times for different steering problems and the dealer will not take the car back to try and fix the repair problems that i feel i'm still experiencing can i still apply for the lemon law? the dealer states they "fixed" the problem and will not take it back. other dealers in town will not accept the car to try and fix it because they told me Chevrolet Corp. paid my dealer to replace parts and fix the problems so since they didn't get paid from Chevrolet Corp. regarding my repair issues they told me to take it back to the same dealer. i don't know if i'm now stuck because WI lemon law states 4 unsuccessful tries or 30 days in the service repair shop.

i have had the car under 1 year and it has 7,000 miles on it.

here's an overview:

I bought a brand new 2004 chevy malibu maxx lt here in Wisconsin in may 2004. I brought the car in for repairs a total of 5 times, 2 for electrical and door lock and alarm problems and the other 3 were strictly for steering problems.

I had them replace the steering column because as I was driving home with my wife and 2 year old son,my steering wheel locked up and I couldn't drive the car or turn left or right. I had to stop in the middle of the street, turn on my blinkers, turn off the car and turn it back on after 10 minutes then the steering came back on. This problem could kill someone.

The 1st time after they gave me back the car after replacing the steering column. The car was returned to me and I could not turn the steering wheel left. I immediately returned the car to them. The 2nd problem was when they returned it to me after I told them I couldn't turn the steering wheel left at all. I now told them that the car was not aligned properly because the steering wheel pulled to the left when accelerating from a dead stop. With my hands on the steering wheel I had to physically turn the steering wheel to the right because I could feel it pulling to the left as I drove forward from a dead stop. I even tried it without my hands on the steering wheel in an empty parking lot. The steering is not even close to being aligned because it pulls hard to the left at 10 o'clock. Heiser Chevrolet told me that they "fixed" the problem and they will not accept the car to repair the moset recent problem I'm having. I then asked to speak to the general manager and he basically told me he can only crunch some numbers and get me into another car by trading mine in. He wanted me to give them more money to get into another car. I told them no deal and left.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    The dealer sounds like an outright incompetent who is only wrecking your car further. And sad to say the car sounds like a dud.
    My 2 cents - you should get a lemon law lawyer (be sure they specialize in automotive lemon law issues) and go for resitution under it. Be sure you have all your records to show the lawyer!

In fairness to Chevy corporate, you should give them one last chance to straighten things out. Contact the regional service manager and explain the situation. If that brings help (most likely from another dealer) then well and good. If Chevy blows it, then I'd go with the lawyer and the lemon law.

Sounds very similar to what I went through with my Saturn. After my lawyer presented the case (and he pushed very hard), Saturn gave me two options - accept $5K and keep the lemon, or take the full refund and return the lemon. They got their lemon - I got the Maxx.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I've noticed a persistent hum starting at about 50 MPH up to the low 60 MPH range. It sounds like exhaust noise and goes away when you take your foot off the gas (or turn off the cruise). It's especially noticeable when you start the car up cold first thing in the a.m. but it persists even after 20 miles or so of expressway driving.
    I'm a quasi heat shield expert (having ripped off nearly every one on my Corolla to silence the odd noises), and think it may be a heat shield resonance.
    One major magazine complained about heat shield resonances in their preproduction Maxx. An early build problem, perhaps?
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Well, mine starts pretty much when the car starts moving and stops when I stop, it almost sounds kind of like a motors that is turning very slowly, but faster as speed increases. It doesn't change based on engine speed, only vehicle speed and only started this last Friday or Saturday. It was really windy and didn't notice it making the noise when facing the wind sitting at a stop light. But I figure since I have a pretty early build(Dec 03) of a first model year car it has a few bugs that were worked out on cars with later build dates. Taking it in tomorrow to get the rattle in the steering column and retaining clips for seatbelt recall tomorrow, and they're going to check this out.
  • pourlemeritepourlemerite Member Posts: 7
    Thanks very much e2helper.

Fortunately 6-CD issue cleared up after the vehicle parked overnight. I consider it a minor issue right now, along with the tranny howl and fuel gauge.

We had our first good frost last week, and I was impressed with how quickly and nicely the windows cleared up. I am happy with my Maxx thus far, and don't regret purchasing the vehicle 6 months ago. Thanks again! -Pourlemerite
  • karunchkarunch Member Posts: 8
    This is a really stupid question.. But should there be a light in the glove box when I open it? I'm kinda wondering because I was looking for something in my glove box last night, and it was kinda dark in there. I didn't have a chance to look in there to see if I could see a lightbulb, cause I'm at work. Every other car that I have owned had a light in the glove box, and I don't see why the Maxx LS wouldn't.

And I have just one complaint... Why would the people at Chevy not include the heated mirrors in the LS models? That is definitely something that I don't like about this car, but I couldn't afford the LT model..
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I agree, the LS model should have had heated outside mirrors, if not standard, available as an option. I consider this a safety item. I know my side mirrors will be useless in cold snowy weather. They will be hard to clean off if covered with ice.
    my 2004 maxx lt regarding the steering pulling to the left when accelerating.

the car was brought in a 4th time to a different dealer and they found nothing wrong. They told me the steering wheel pulls to the left when accelerating because of torque steer which is caused by a difference in the length of front wheel drive shafts. The left side is shorter.

e2helper is this valid???
    The problem is the power steering system is a new electric system that never got the bugs worked out of them. There is a upcoming recall on this problem coming out on Dec. 10, 2004. Refer to Campaign# 04050 when you go to the dealer next time....
  • fulri3fulri3 Member Posts: 2
    Bookmark | Reply

I traded-in my 2002 Malibu on a 2003 used Malibu. The 2002 Malibu ran smoothly with no vibrations. The 2003 Malibu has a slight steering wheel vibration from 40 mph thru 75 mph. It is the most notable between 55 and 63 mph. Have had tires rotated and balanced with no help. Even purchased new tires and vibration is still there even after a four-wheel alignment. Dealer checked rims and they are ok. I drove a 2003 Malibu from dealer's lot and it has the same vibration that mine has only not as severe. Did Malibu change the suspension from 2002 to 2003.

Has anyone else experienced slight but steady vibrations in the steering wheel? I drove over 1000 miles over Thanksgiving and could feel the vibration all the time. I can feel the vibration starting at 20 miles per hour and it never goes away even at 80 miles per hour.
    The problem is the power steering system is a new electric system that never got the bugs worked out of them. There is a upcoming recall on this problem coming out on Dec. 10, 2004. Refer to Campaign# 04050 when you go to the dealer next time....
  • ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    I thought I felt a slight pull to the left! My 04 Maxx has the gas cap, and gas guage problems, and now the steering recall. I still think it's a fantastic car, and a great bang for the buck. It is a pleasure to drive!
    I've had complete faith in GM from the beginning: not in the quality of their cars per say, but in the fact that they own up to problems that exist, and are working hard to correct deficiencies. Mazda sure never did that, especially when it came to using the worst tranny ever built in their 626.
    I'm sure someone will post details of the recall after the 10th???
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Not stupid at all...I made the same observation after taking delivery of my 04 Maxx LS. No, there's no light in glovebox, nor are there any courtesy lights below the dash (in the footwells). Something I miss from my T-Bird.

Also on my lighting wishlist: Front cornering lamps. I used to love having that extra beam of light in the direction of my turn at night. Very few cars have this feature anymore.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Are heated outside mirrors such a common feature on all $18-$23k cars now that they really should be standard? Before I had a vehicle with heated outside mirrors I scraped the ice off of them while I was doing the windows and letting the car warm up (with the defroster going). This definitely wouldn't be a safety issue though, imo. Just more of a convenience (and a nice one, I agree).

BTW, the '04 Malibu LT is the first car I've owned that has this feature (my '03 Trailblazer was the first vehicle I had with it- but that stickered at $35k).

As far as the interior lighting goes I have found the current lighting to be pretty decent, but it wouldn't have hurt to have under-dash / glovebox lights. GM seems to be cutting the small stuff everywhere. Anyone else remember when nearly all cars had courtousy lights in the lower rear of the door panels, instead of reflectors (and in the case of the new Malibus, a reflective circular sticker on the door edge).
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Torque steer is a common problem in front wheel drive cars and is in fact caused by different length half-shafts but with only 200 odd ft. lbs. of torque coming from the engine it should not be extreme. I can't remember which direction it pulls since I compensate almost automatically - I'll have to check. It should also only be evident during hard acceleration not your standard pulling away from the stop sign.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I sure am glad GM is going to address the steering problem, its the only repair on the car I would have trouble handling. I keep getting applications from GM for extended warranty,4 yr would be 1 yr over the 3yr so 1 yr for about $1000 to me is not a good deal. Also read the small print: Parts to repair maybe new , USED or remanufactured.USED they must be kidding.
  • choblerchobler Member Posts: 5
    When traveling at constant high speed (62mph), my car will surge briefly causing the RPM's to increase, then return. If the cruise control is on, then the cruise control will turn off. Any suggestions?
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Does this recall affect those of us that have already had a steering column replaced in the last few months- did we already get whatever parts / procedures this recall calls for when ours was replaced, or is this brand new?

(Thanks for the heads up)
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I picked my Malibu LS up from the dealer yesterday after having the steering column replaced because of a rattle that sounded like a loose strut. This seems to have been the problem because now it is silent except for the Hum/Moan noise that I posted about a few days ago, they claim it is the Transmission Shift Cable, which they had to order. I haven't heard of anyone else on the board having this problem, is it just me?
    chevy corporate called me back yesterday and told me they will NOT replace my vehicle even thougb it's been back to the dealer 4 times for a steering problem. i told them and stressed that i never had problems before my dealer replaced the steering column. call ended, they didn't to change their mind.

then the bbb called me back today and told me they will set up a conference where we can all talk and the bbb feels that chevy corporate might change their mind after this. has anyone gone through the bbb auto claims and how effective are they without goign to arbitration? all im looking for is a replacement since the dealer screwed something up in my steering that they can't replace. i still have the pulling to the left issue that i never had before the dealer replaced the steering column....
    maxxit2004, good luck with the bbb. Sometimes they are helpful, other times they are not.

What about another dealer? You could suggest that another dealer take a crack at fixing your car, and __if__ it then continues to malfunction, it becomes a certified lemon and should be exchanged.

wrt rattles, sad to say my Maxx has sprouted quite a few of them lately; some in the rear roof trim, others under the dash, possibly one in the transmission console. Hopefully I can find and remove them.
  • bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    I occasionally hear a noise that sounds like a loose strut (I know since I had a car that actually had a loose strut). It sounds like it's "in/under/forward of the driver's side dash. But, I'll wait a while on it until I can be sure of convincing the service department. I have also been experiencing a sound like metal "pop" from temperature change. And, I mean LOUD. It happens upon warmup, occasionally sitting at a light, and a few minutes after shutting the car off. From the sound and the location (I think), I'm wondering if it's the exhaust/catalytic converter shield causing this. Anyone have this happen?
    i took it to another dealer and they told me they couldn't fix it either. here's what they did tell me.

the car was brought in a 4th time for the steering issues finally to a different dealer and they found nothing wrong. They told me the steering wheel pulls to the left when accelerating because of torque steer which is caused by a difference in the length of front wheel drive shafts. The left side is shorter.

i was told torque steer is when you accelerate faster, not going very slow off the start like what's happening to me at 2 to 5mph.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    that sounds like a line to me...did you take it to the different dealer the 4th time?..the drive shafts should be getting equal amounts of torgue one would think...(E2HELPER)...any commments...if the dealer did the damage...corporate i bet will hold the dealership liable....not know the entire story here..but it appears they have never done the steering column replacement repair correctly?

as far as BBB, I never got to that point with a KIA sorento....I worked with corporate and they bought it back from the dealer...the one thing that is important..is that if it goes to an arbitrator..the decision is binding on both parties...will be interested to hear about Chevy corporates response to the conference call..keep us posted.....
  • redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    My Husband and I work for Ford, currently we are building the Mazda 6 and the 2005 Mustang. Approximately 9 months ago our oldest daughter was graduating from Medical School, she wanted a new car. The 2004 Malibu was the car that she fell in love with (sigh). My Husband cosigned thru gmac. She's had nothing but problems with this car...the steering column had to be replaced, the dealership tore up her dashboard....that needed replacement. Her steering problem is still posing problems. She's had about 5 recalls. Tonight she was at a coffee shop (we're in Michigan...it snowed tonight) her MALIBU would NOT start. Unfortunately Chevy wants to tow her car to the dealer that did shoddy work, instead of the dealer where she purchased her vehicle. She's had nothing BUT problems with her over-priced, problem ridden car. I nagged her NOT to buy foreign, to keep Americans working. What in the heck is going on with Chevy, GM, and the inferior parts? Could these problems be due from NAFTA and greedy capitalists? GET IT RIGHT GM, now! Your trend on losing market share has reached a serious point! I'm advising my Daughter to sell this piece of crap...and not deal with GM again! Previous to working at Ford, I purchased a few foreign cars. I know they have a lot of complaints too, that's why I went back to owning American made. This Malibu was a MAJOR launch and new vehicle for GM...why have they allowed so many customers to become so dissatisfied and disappointed?
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    Different lengths of driveshafts have different "torsional windup". Hence a longer driveshaft will lag a shorter driveshaft and cause torque steer. It's common practice therefore to make the longer driveshaft thicker than the short one in order to cancel the effect.
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    The Malibu is no more "foreign" than the Mazda6 or Ford. Further, the Mazda6 is certainly not problem free either. Or Ford.
    >>problems with her over-priced, problem ridden car<< Strange post, you with the Ford employee discount.
    Have you tried talking to the consumer protection office associated with your state attorney general's office.

Also it is amazing how much attention a letter to the dealer from your attorney generates.
    A Sable wagon and the shotty way I was treated by Ford management is the reason why my last 6 vehicles came from GM.
    Some car magazines have said Maxx does have torque steer. I've noticed a little of it (and remember it does pull to left), but only if accelerating really hard. I've not seen it at low speeds.

During the Chevy clinic I attended months ago, my impression was the factory folks were honest hard working folks trying to build a good car.

I'll heed the advice from here just in case my maxx goes sour, but so far it's doing reasonably well.
    I didn't say the Malibu was foreign...neither is the Mazda 6, Ford owns Mazda. Americans build The 6, and the $ stays in OUR country.

Skyhawk, I work at AutoAlliance and am unaware of any problems with the Sable. I currently own a Continental, my husband leases a Mountaineer. Previous to that, our last 5 vehicles were made at "our" plant. All of them we drove 'til they had close to 200,000. We drive a lot, and I get bored having a car longer than 2-3 years. Calm down people I'm not saying all companies are not having problems, BUT the Malibu is having MORE than it's share.

AND Joe, why would my Ford employee discount irk you? MY Daughter wanted the Malibu, certainly NOT me! NOW I want GM to take care of their problems. Would you expect any less from any other company?
    >>AND Joe, why would my Ford employee discount irk you?<< My point is you complain about the high price of the Malibu when you could buy a Ford cheap. Your Ford discount means nothing to me, I would never own a Ford
    The great majority of UAW workers are extremely hard working people. Their souls are injected into each vehicle they help build. The problems lie with Management and the Engineers. New models are being rushed to the public instead of taking care of the quirks. Consequently, the builders (not salary personnel) are blamed for any problems that plague the cars. The Malibu is a sharp looking vehicle. I'm not here to bash a fellow UAW worker, I'm here to shame the engineering and purchasing group employed by Chevrolet.

Joe, cheap? LMAO! My Daughter's Malibu was cheaper than a Mazda 6! Due to lack of sales though the Malibu has plummeted in price. Just how much do you believe the discount is? As far as you "never" buying a ford...I used to be a chevy person. Now I support the company that puts bread on my table, not the one that leaves my daughter stranded.
  • townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    I was going to buy an '04 Focus. I knew they had some problems but I thought they were all straightened out by '04. When I went to test drive one (an automatic), it stalled on me twice during the test drive. (Funny side note-- the salesman tried to blame me for doing something wrong! It's an automatic!) I was disappointed because I had wanted one with heated seats and according to my web search, this particular car was the only automatic w/ heated seats in California at the time. Needless to say, I just couldn't buy a car that wasn't working right during the test drive.

On the other hand, my '96 Ranger simply doesn't break. It is more dependable than most people I know! I love that truck and plan on keeping it forever.

As for the Mazda 6, according to articles and discussion boards, Mazda/Ford did very little to fix the rusting door problems of the 6 and consequently soured a lot of people on the Mazda brand.

Again, we're dealing with machines and they are going to break. I agree that the manufactures must stand behind their products, but every company is going to have at least some unsatisfied customers, no matter what.
  • ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    When did they change this from Problems & Solutions, to Complaints & Blame? I am new to this forum, and found the replys to the problems posted helpful and informative. The complaining, and finger pointing are neither.

Here's a thought. If you like Ford, buy a Ford. If you like Chevy, buy a Chevy. If you are unhappy with whatever car you bought, that is unfortunate. It happens to all of us at some time.

Let's get back to the productive stuff.
    I own a 04 Malibu build date 3-04 and the car had 5000 miles with no problems, I keep wondering if the EPS is going to break down and strand me. I read about a steering recall and have not seen anything to date, anybody have any current information.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I looked at the new mazda 6 ......couldnt touch the base model for under 24K in the northern va area at the time.....chose the maxx...like the ride and the comfort of the car...got a great price...for the fully loaded LT will all options but the multi disk CD player, which i couldnt touch in the mazada...build date Feb 17, 04....13.5K on the car...and not a problem or complaint...dealer ship service has been excellent....and very satisfied with my GM product..the first that I have owned since 1979.

There are good builds and bad builds....anything mass produced will have a percentage of problems....I saw that someone said the malibus have had more than their share....wonder if Chrysler is saying that with the recall of 600K Durangos and Dakotas with a defect that will allow the wheels to fall off...again...something mass produced with a common problem...I wonder what percentage of the Malibus built have had the steering column replaced..I think since it had an engineering study ongoing at the NHTSA..GM had to provide that data.....will have to go back to the site and look..any way..my 2 cents.
    since i've had my fair share of problems with my Malibu with 4 steering problem visits to my dealer......does anyone know if chevy corporate would allow me a better discount if i were to trade in my 2004 malibu maxx lt. 7,000 miles, fully loaded except xm radio, still owe about $18k on the car also? would they offer something on the table with me getting the bbb involved. i looked at my trade in value and was shocked when i seen it's only around like $18k. wow

let me know, thanks!