Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    maxx4me said one way, I drove mine up on ramps, but that is the dealers job. The dealer is suppose to check your built date on the tranny, if it is one they are covered under the warranty, maybe they lack qualified personal. :)
  • ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks, to both of you. I have not mentioned it to my dealer, yet. I had to force the warped gas tank TSB down their throat, and I'm working my way through the "leads/pulls left" TSB. How does GM index these TSBs? They can't be that hard for a dealer to find, can they?

One TSB at at time. Good thing I like this car! :P
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    No TSBs are not hard for dealer to look up at all. About as difficult as doing keyword searches in the forum.
    I fix computers for a living (unfortunately), so I understand that often, a customer is wrong with their problem determination. But once you establish some credibility, you would think that the dealer would at least look up the TSB. :confuse:
    Except for the extra trip for each repair, my dealer's svc. dept. is good. They are accommodating, and once they know what to do, they seem to do a good job. Oh well, still like my Maxx.
  • k2272k2272 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu that was involved in a minor front end collision and now it won't start. There was no damage to either vehicle but my car died on the scene and had to be pushed out of the way.

I was wondering if anyone might know if there is a sensor in the front bumper linked to the fuel system. AND/OR if I can find out the location of the reset button.

My husband put some sort of starter fluid in the intake and it started right up but as soon as it burned off the car died. (all greek to me) :cry:

The Chevy dealership in my area is no help. They just want me to bring it in. If it is a matter of just resetting a button I can save myself a heap of $$$, they are notoriously overcharging!!

Thanks so much!

Kay
    k2272@yahoo.com
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I can find them and I am not a dealer LOL. :)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    04 Maxx LT..anyone else having problems with the turn signal indicator bulbs...Im going thru them about every four months..specifically my left front..drivers side turn....I believe I have a problem wtih the socket...looking at it..you cant simply replace the socket as the entire wiring harness appears to be integrated within the headlight assembly...the last two bulbs appear to have shorted at the base of the bulb connection.....will take to the dealer to have them look out....still under warranty......I kept the bulb this time to show the service manager.....
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I recently had the dealer replace the same left front bulb. They did it under warranty and said that they also cleaned up the corrosion on the contacts. Apparently moisture got into that area.
    i took it by my dealer today...and he stated it probably was a bad socket..I showed him the shorted bulb base...stated it would replace under warranty..i dont have corrosion..and definitely had the electrical burn smell this time...so I do believe there is a short somewhere....in the harness...we shall see come Thurs what the serice department tells me

Still love my Maxx....almost 21k on it now....and just about to reach 15 months old
  • lfarkashlfarkash Member Posts: 9
    My dealer has been kind enough to undertake fixing the rear shade problem in my Maxx. I took in the TSB number mentioned in this forum and they ordered the stiffeners, which did not make much of a difference. The mechanic than ordered a new surround for the back moon roof, but when I left my car to have it installed they informed me that they had to order a whole new headliner. This is all under warranty and so I have been going along with it.
    My concern now is that replacing the headliner may create a whole new bucket full of problems. I could certainly live with the unusable shades. I would hate to have a bunch of creaks and rattles in a car that has none to date (15months, 16,000 miles).

Has anyone out there had the headliner replaced or had the rear shades successfully fixed in some other way? Should I let them keep trying and trust in their ability to do the work properly? Any opinions appreciated.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    I had my headliner replaced on a SATURN ION to get rid of incessent rattles. In that car's case, the new headliner, the rear window glass _and_ the brake light were damaged during the install.

It's a __major__ repair and I would be ___very___ sure your service provider has an impeccable record on interior trim work (a __huge__ weakness in most dealer shops) before you let them tear your car apart.

At least your dealer is trying - both of mine are totally clueless about this TSB.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    A week or so ago my wife complained that the cruise control on the Malibu wasn't working right. I haven't driven the car much since then and haven't used the cruise at all when I did, and other issues around the house needing repair were on my mind at the time, so I forgot about it.

Until last night..

Traveling the interstate on the way home from a doctor's appointment I attempted to set the cruise, then let off of the throttle.. and immediately began slowing down. :confuse: Thinking that I'd either bumped the cruise on / off button or that she'd turned it off herself (she does that once in a while) I checked- nope, it was on.

Attempted to set it again. Same result. At this point my wife said "I told you so- keep trying and it'll eventually work.." So I did, and it did, but only after many repeated presses of the button. I had to tap the breaks for slower traffic at one point and then hit resume- the resume works fine (every time). But when I tried to use it to decelerate for a lower speed zone the same issue popped up- that darn set / decel button refused to work unless you continue to tap it incessantly.

So I guess it's time for another visit to my local dealership service department. :sick: While the car is there I'll have to have them check out the creaky driver's seat. (No idea what caused that, but the slightest movement in the seat results in the back creaking like an old stair step. :P)
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    Most of the buttons on my steering wheel do not work. This became an issue after they changed the steering column. They say it is not related. The seek / scan volume control and SRCE controls for the radio and resume do not work. I have not gone back to the dealer yet. I will address this at the next oil change. I'm happy with the service department so I will take their word for it.
  • billymaxxbillymaxx Member Posts: 12
    jerrywimer:

I see you are having problems with your C.C. as well. See my earlier post for a similar problem:
    billymaxx, "Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions" #1788, 11 Apr 2005 5:16 pm

I think I was experiencing the same problem with getting the cruise control to set. I would press the button in but the C.C. would not stick to the speed. I think what I had to do was hold the button in for a couple of seconds rather than just pressing it in and releasing. Give it a try. Have you experienced trouble with the C.C. disengaging on it's own like I have?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    thanks again kurt and bots. I am getting rid of my steering column this weekend. The rattling noise was getting to be a bit much, especially when I pulled into my driveway. The noise is pronounced when you go over a bump one tire at a time (just like having loose struts). My service manager didn't balk. He said that all GM steering columns are pretty pathetic, and that simply lubracating them postpones the inevitable. Your advice is greatly appreciated. I have had very good luck with the service at this dealership. I also informed them that my check was sent off to Blacks this week for my GMPP, and that they now have my car for another 6 years.
    I've actually tried that and it didn't really make any difference. I actually had to repeatedly press it before it finally engaged or caused the car to start decelerating. It hasn't disengaged on its own yet either (knock on wood).
    I find it hard to beleive that replacement of the steering column and the buttons not working are not related!! They all worked before the column was replaced I assume!!! and now they dont..seems bad QM on the part of the dealer to me....why wouldnt they test the complete functionality of the steering column to include the controls on the steering wheel!!!
    Hey Maxx4me

seems you have completed all the TSBs now..what was your build date again....still doing great with mine here...never did get the pics of the bug deflector up..will try this weekend...see you went with Blacks for the GMPP as well.....I will do that shortly....what plan did you opt for..their prices were excellent....need to do mine before its gets further down the road...but still 21K here and not a problem..knock on wood...abeit the minor bulb issue..the socket to be replaced tommorrow if all goes well
    I can't say for sure that our issue with the cruise button isn't related to the steering column replacement, since ours was replaced last August. But it's unlikely because the cruise control worked fine until just recently. I think it's more likely poor contacts in the button itself (reminds me of the way the controllers worked on an old Atari 2600 when the contacts started going bad).
    could be issue with other contact switches as well. I've noted the mirror controllers in my Maxx require much more force to activate than before (possible contact corrosion? ).
    pao my man: I have a May 04 build date, which is not within the 'sensor wear problem' TSB dates. Nonetheless, as you may recall, I have had minor twitching of the steering wheel for 7 months at parking lot speeds (a precursor to future failure?) Moreover, the "loose strut" noises have definitely been increasing as of late. I'll keep you abreast of the feel from the new steering column next week. I will also let you know if any of my steering wheel buttons stop working ( 8^ (l)
    As for Blacks, with their $30 off special, it takes their price down to only $50 over my best deal I got with those unnamed folks in Texas. Their constant delays cost them my business. Blacks just sent me an e-mail confirmation that they received my signed letter and personal check; nice touch. Just remember, your price is higher now that you have passed the 12k mark, and will go up again after 24k to (in my opinion) an unreasonable rate for an extended warranty.
    I was well past the 12k limit anyway...I plan to do it before the 24 K mark....what have you got on that silver bullet Maxx now? I have a mid Feb 04 build date...still knocking on wood here....
    I turned my paperwork in at 11,940. That's cutting it close. The guys in Texas kept stalling and I got tired of waiting.
    This week, I started using the bike hitch again. I also tried some self stick velcro to quiet the squeeks in the sunroof driver's side spring. It did not silence it totally, so I'll have to put some grease over the spring to see if that solves the squeek.
    I'm really curious to see how much pollen my 'furnace' filter catches. I checked the filter a couple of weeks ago and tapped out much of the sediment. I'm sure the tree pollen will force me to change the filter by the end of May.
  • francijaifrancijai Member Posts: 10
    First I'd like to thank everybody who has contributed to this ongoing discussion, the information that you all have contributed has helped me to be either an extremely savvy shopper, or an extreme pita to my salesman.

Here is the scoop I have tracked down an 04 LT with XM radio and onstar, and of course all the other bells and whistles of an LT. Like many/most of you I was extremely impressed with the substance this vehicle has.

However, when I initially noticed the left pull on my overnight test drive, I began to research and stumbled upon this forum. This alerted me to other early 04 issues (build date is 1/30/04), after my test drive I addressed this issues with the salesman and indicated I wanted to buy an 04 out of the reported troubled VIN range. Unfortunately this wasn't possible at the price I wanted to pay...

So I am entertaining purchasing this vehicle with these issues being addressed first and I am wondering if some of you whom are more experienced with this car can advise if I have addressed any possible 04 glitches.
    Here is the list of issues I asked to be addressed:
    1) left pull, gave dealership tsb# 04050 for recall on steering column.
    2) howling tranny, tsb# 04-07-300-21
    3) rough idle, tsb# 04-06-04-080
    4) noisy (understatement) sunroof, tsb# 04-08-67-009

Additionally the dealership has agreed to extend the factory warranty.
    Each issue I asked to be serviced was directly correlated to what I experienced during my test drive, for those of you who have had these same issues, have they been resolved with the proper tsb applied? Do you have any other advice regarding this purchase? Additionally I also heard what some of you referred to as a "strut clunk", but wasn't sure if that was resolved with the steering recall or not. I would truly appreciate any advise or experience you could share with me as I consider this a major purchase and intend to drive the car for at least five years. Thank you for your help!
    The left pull is a separate issue from the column recall. I think some early Maxxs had power steering failures, hence the recall. Here is the TSB for the left pull:

Informational - Vehicle Leads/Pulls Characteristics and Diagnosis #04-03-06-001 - (Sep 10, 2004)

2004-2005 Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu MAXX

Lead/Pull Description
    At a constant highway speed on a typical straight road, lead/pull is the amount of effort required at the steering wheel to maintain the vehicle's straight path.

Lead/pull is usually caused by the following factors:

Tire construction Variability in the tire construction may produce lead/pull. The rear tires will not cause lead/pull.
    Wheel alignment
    Brake Drag
    Unbalanced steering gear
    Visual/Physical Inspection
    Inspect for aftermarket devices which could affect the operation of any of the suspension subsystems.
    Inspect the easily accessible or visible system components for obvious damage or conditions which could cause the symptom.
    Inspect for proper tire size and inflation pressure. Refer to Tire Placard in General Information, SI Document ID #1211368.
    Inspect for abnormal tire wear.
    Vehicle Leads/Pulls Alignment Diagnosis and Repair
    Front cross-caster and front cross-camber are the only wheel alignment parameters that influence lead or pull.

For vehicle leads/pulls diagnosis, refer to Vehicle Leads/Pulls, SI Document ID #1458799.

If the vehicle leads/pulls to the left after performing the steps listed in SI Document ID 1458799 and the front wheel alignment parameters are found to be in specification, adjust the front left and/or right camber to achieve a cross-camber of -0.50° to -0.75°. Refer to Front Camber Adjustment, SI Document ID 1238715. The cross-camber is the difference between the left side camber and the right side camber (cross-camber = LH camber-RH camber). Positive cross-camber may cause the vehicle to pull to the left. For example: If the vehicle pulls to the left, adjust the cross-camber more negative and vice-versa.

Steering Position and Torque Sensor Calibration

Important
    ONLY perform the steering position sensor and torque sensor recalibration procedure after the tires, suspension and alignment specifications have been inspected and/or corrected and the vehicle still exhibits a lead or pull condition. Failure to do so may result in additional customer lead and or pull concerns.

After inspecting the suspension, tires and alignment, and if the vehicle still leads or/pulls, it may be necessary to recalibrate the steering position sensor and torque sensor. Refer to Control Module Setup, SI Document ID #1255331.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
    WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    whats the URL for blacks again..I tried to to find it..thought I saved it.,.and duh...NO....anyway..any help would be apppreciated!..
    Got my left light socket replaced under warranty today at Pallone Chevy...in at 730 and out at 840...not bad.....will see if that fixes the problem...scary the amount of stuff your filter is catching....how did yuo make it again..sounds like it might be a weekend project not in the too distant future...
    Thank you for the information, I passed it along to the service tech's at the dealership where I intend to purchase this vehicle, hopefully any of these bugs can be resolved before I take delivery of the vehicle. Overall do you feel that this is a decent car, and that I could reasonably expect to get 6+ years of reliable and safe transportation from it?
    My Maxx LS w/o sunroof was built right around 1/15/04 or so.

You will probably get nailed by the steering columm (bad sensors, strut clunk) and rough idle.
    Fixes are available for both but be sure your dealer is cooperative and will do the tsb's for you.

Howling tranny is iffy around that time - same cavet.

There was a reinforcement for the doors done with March '04 builds and on that make car safer in side impacts. It's not retrofittable.
    pao: just type in 'discount gmpp' in your search engine, and it will be the first hit.
    Palone is a good repair shop.
    See my old message for the instructions on installing the filter:
    maxx4me, "Chevrolet Malibu" #4481, 11 Apr 2005 4:16 pm!
    Thanks Kurt, the dealer acts as if addressing these concerns is no problem I emailed him 4 tsb#s and info (refering to my first post and eric response). Is there anyay I can be sure that these issues were adressed with the appropiate tsb fixes before I take delivery of the car, other than my assuming it has been done corrrectly because I gave them the info?
    no way to know I fear for sure. dealers I've been to claim they do the work but in some cases the problem comes back because they did the job only halfway.
    Hopefully you can find out if your dealer is one of the good ones.

Best of luck!
  • bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    I'm taking mine in Monday for the thudding which is getting far worse. What is this 12K limit you are talking about?
    Is there a TSB or bulletin number for this? I want to give it to the service department on Monday. I looked through the messages, but my eyes are tired and if it's there, I've missed it.
    bwolter: I was not aware of a TSB at the time I brought mine in. Fortunately, I have a senior Service Advisor and a well educated Service Manager at my disposal. There was no questioning what I was describing. As for the 12k issue, I'm assuming you are refering to my comment to pao on the GMPP. GM generously allows you to purchase a GMPP at new car prices up until 12 months/12,000 miles (ie: as if you just bought the car today), and gives you the GMPP at the time and miles you buy the GMPP, not at the time and miles you bought your car. After 12/12k, the price jumps substantially. After 24/24k, it jumps prohibitively in my opinion. So, while you can purchase a GMPP up until your 36/36,000 runs out, it is best to do so before the 12/12k point.
    Maxx4Me answered the 12K issue...is was concerning purchasing the GMPP plan..Im over the 12k mark...so will go with the 48month/60k coverage, with their inservice date as of the date you buy the GMPP from them that is the same as a 5 year 84k plan including my current mileage and time of ownership...which will be 15 months at time of purchase of the contract.....

Maxx4me has had a good experience with them so far....
  • jhscottjhscott Member Posts: 2
    My wife has a 2004 malibu LS v6, two days ago the car would not go past 50 mph with her pressing on the gas pedal. Yesterday, shortly after she went trough a 3-way stop she let off the gas. When she tried to press the pedal again the gas pedal would not move. Luckly, she was able to coast off the road out of the way of other traffic. Has anyone else had any problems like this? The car is one of the new body styles with adjustable pedals. I am taking it tomorrow to have it checked out.
    Took my 04 LS Maxx in for the thud and a rattle coming from what I thought was the passenger side door pillar. They took the car for a ride and never heard the pillar noise. When they called me I said how could you not hear it, it's God awful. They then determined it is actually from the seat back. They won't attempt a fix. They said as long as someone is sitting in the seat, there is no noise. So they drove with no one in the seat and it made the noise. They said just lay the seat reclined all the way down and I won't have to listen to it. Hmmmm.

Now to the front noise and thud: Could not duplicate. Nothing in databases. I left fuming mad. I was 200 feet from the dealership and the noise and thud came again. I drove back to the dealer and this time the manager went with me. He heard it. His odd comment was "I heard it, but are you sure it isn't the bump in the road. I think you're expecting too much." I know the difference between tire thud and metal banging. He and the service tech both told me they have annoyances with their Chevys.....they just tolerate them. How's that for an answer. He then offered to keep the car and maybe see if something develops. I said, I need my car to drive. How do I get around without it? He said, "Guess you'll have to go rent a car, or have us check it again the next oil change." By this time, my blood pressure is so high, I'm about to blow a gasket (me, not the engine). I told him there won't be an oil change. Now, I have to decide what I will do next. Go find another dealer.........or trade the thing off.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    My Malibu sedan has developed some new rattles recently (~7500 miles) one is from behind the instrument cluster and is set off by the slightest bump and can be reproduced by tapping on the dome right above the gauges. And my glove compartment rattles from time to time. (these are the loud ones, the few quiet ones don't bother me as the radio easily drowns them out) Also, my cruise control doesn't upshift back into 4th when using resume. For example...cruise is set at ~75, enter road construction where and slow to 55 then when out of road construction hit resume, it downshift and goes back up to 75, but then doesn't shift back into o/d and its on a flat road. As soon as cruise is turned off it immediately shifts into 4th. About due for and oil change and will have them check it out.
  • jhscottjhscott Member Posts: 2
    I took the malibu for its service this morning. They cleaned and adjusted the throttle,and reprogramed the transmission. I hope this has everything fixed.
    your story here is just another poor example of dealership service or the extreme lack of it..I wonder how much corporate GM is aware of it??....come on just recline the seat back and you will not have to listen to it...that is completely unacceptable!!!!!..I took my maxx in for a repair recently and that afternoon got a call from their customer service..asking how I was a treated...was the service good, was the service manager polite...was the repair explained to me..and that I would get a follow up from GM..and was there any reason I couldnt rate my experience with the dealership anything other than superior!!!!...

Maybe I lucked out and got a dealer who honestly cares in customer satisfaction and return business...A service managers comment that maybe you are expecting too much....my comment back to him would have been maybe you arent interested in my business or are too lazy to keep it.....Had that been me I would have asked for the owner or the senior representative of that dealership on the spot!!!!..I know...Im not there..but Ive heard of too many of these experiences on this board about lousy service departments....incompetent technicians..or a simple its not my problem attitude, in a customer oriented service...do these guys honestly think we would ever buy another car from the dealership after being treated this way!!!...I dont think so.....

my two cents....find another dealer...with an honest service department.....HEY GM...are you listening!!!!!! especially after your 2M vehicle recall announced last night for the SUVs!!!!!!!!
    bwolter: well, here's my analysis of my new steering shaft: unfortunately, it did not get rid of the "loose strut" noise whatsoever. It is as prevalent as ever. However, only time will tell if it solved two other problems I've had: intermittant jitteriness at parking lot speeds and stiffness on cold mornings. While this morning's temps probably were not good enough to tell (45 fahrenheit this morning), all seemed well.
    The sad part of this story is that it did not take me more than 15 yards of driving off the dealer's lot to hear the rattle, as the car left the cement apron and went on to the blacktop one tire at a time. But this also means that I don't believe the steering column is the solution to the rattles you and I are hearing.
    Mr Bots, your observation on cruise control operation has been posted about before. There is a PCM calibration update that addresses it. I don't know your build date but if before May 2004 then likely you don't have it.
    Thanks for the input guys. Other than the referenced problems, I have been happy. Power, economy, features, sorta sporty look. And I get lots of "wows" from people I know, and strangers. My last 3 vehicles were Chevrolets, bought new, outright, no trade, cash. With those vehicles, I never once went to the dealer for any kind of issue. I just maintained them, and had preventive maintenance performed. Never had a single problem. So, my recent experience was a first for me as I have never had to deal with those people. You're right, I should have insisted on speaking to the "top dog." I would think they would put some sort of value on customer service to me since I also bought my son his new car from the same dealer, cash. It was a Cavalier and has never had a problem. Although I personally don't like his car, it's been reliable. BTW, I now have my passenger side seat folded down forward (as for cargo) to stop that noise. Totally quiet now. The reclining positions didn't do it.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    That rattle in your passenger seat sounds like something I had, and fixed myself really easily. It was loud, annoying, and only happened when the seat was empty. The source of my rattle was the seat belt latch bouncing off of the center console, the fix was to put a small felt pad where it was hitting. This might not be your problem, but sounds like it could be. Try to put your hand between the latch and the console over a bumpy road and see if it stops the noise, if it does you know that's your problem.
    Sorry Mr. Bots. I forgot you had provided build info earlier, yes you definitely were earlier than May 2004. In fact, you were one of the earliest adopters of the Malibu based on what I can remember.

I think there might have been a couple of PCM software updates since that timeframe!
    Early versions of the MAXX did indeed have front seat belt latches that would bang against the center console. Chevy fixed that around april 2004 with a new seat belt buckle holder that is bent towards the seat center instead of being on a straight upward line.

But yes, adding a pad on the console to keep the belt buckles from banging against the console can help.

Another place to look for rattles is the rear seat. Some positions of the rear seat will have its back banging against the shock towers instead of resting on the rubber stops. I showed mine to the folks at a GM clinic and they kinda shrugged their shoulders and simply suggested I keep the seats in positions where their seat backs don't bang the rear shock towers.
    Sadly, though the Maxx is an improvement over older GM cars, it seems GM still doesn't "get it" with many interior trim issues.
  • hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    bwolter: Yes, take it to another dealer. A Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealer properly corrected my pull-to-left problem on the first try. :)
  • mrgarymrgary Member Posts: 33
    I am looking into buying a new car.
    Would you recommend buying an 05 MAXX LS?
    I am currently in the process of purchasing an 04 Maxx LT. In the past couple of weeks I have looked extensively at what other owners and a few other consumer reporting agencies say about this vehicle. If you scroll to the top of this page and click on the light blue bar that reads consumer reviews, you will find what other owners have said about their experiences with a malibu maxx. Hope that gets you started in the right direction for your quest. I have found this website to be extremely helpful in providing the resources and information I needed to be a saavy car shopper. Good Luck!
  • malibu0212malibu0212 Member Posts: 16
    2001 Mailbu, 35k mi. Bought at Dec 2002 when it had 5k miles.

This first happened about 2 months ago when my wife was driving from New Orleans to Houston. She started with a full tank and after driving about 260 miles (fuel is relatively low, showing 1/8-1/4 left), the car suddenly lost power (meters stil working, so appears engine shut off). My wife had to pull off to the shoulder, then wait a while and restart and she can drive a short distance. Then same thing happened. After several times, my wife found a gas station and filled up then the problem dissappeared.

Then the same thing happened earlier and more frequently during a long trip, engine shut off when fuel gauge showing half then 3/4 tank left. Also after restart, the car can only run at low speed 50-60 mph. After filling a full tank, the problem dissappeared.

The car runs fine locally.