Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    e2helper can you tell me the build date on my daughter's new 05 Cobalt vin 57664640. Thank you
  • twoplustwo16twoplustwo16 Member Posts: 1
    My clock is now doing the same thing. Everytime I start the car it resets it self but the radio stations are still the same. Did the Dealer fix it and what is the problem?
    Thank you.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    wrt steering....get to a good dealer, right away.
    Odds are excellent that you've the '04 Mailbu " bad steering columm " problem, and eventually your car will loose power steering altogether or possibly veer in one direction or another due to an unbalanced servo system.

Your problem is in the early stage and the dealer should replace the columm and recalibrate the steering under warranty. This is not trivial and many dealers get it wrong (you can see earlier posts about that here).

In my case it took two visits to the dealer to fix this - first one installed columm and calibrated ok, but forgot to lube it so it started grinding after a short time. The second dealer lubed the columm properly and so far it seems ok.

The sunshade problem seems to crop up in really hot climates or rough roads or both - which is true in my location. I almost never use the shades anymore (their black color only serves to heat the car up, making the problem worse).
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    6/9/2005
    What kind of radio do you have? Single line display?

Might indicate a loose power or ground connection somewhere (like battery cable).

Radio stations stay in "non-volatile" memory so that is why they might not be lost but time is.
    in regards to the sunshades there was a fix sent out on them and my dealer installed new fasteners in August 04 I believe and it was a permanent fix to that problem. Thanks e2helper for the date
  • malibu_achesmalibu_aches Member Posts: 3
    Did they tell you what the problem was?

I have a 1999 malibu which has developed a similar problem. When the needle hits 1/4 tank, a turn or a bump sends the needle to empty and light comes on! And I do not think it is consistent

Cannot figure out what the problem is.
  • jmax4jmax4 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks.

I hope that the dealer will fix the steering problem the first time I go there and will not make the interior dirty like it was the last time. But, who knows?

I also plan to replace the headrests.
  • pushingmyluckpushingmyluck Member Posts: 1
    I am the frustrated owner of a 2001 Chevy Malibu :mad: . I bought it used with less than 20,000 miles. It has been nothing but a problem child! I've had issues (CONSTANTLY) with the brakes and the fuel tank. Now, after replacing the brakes in March, it looks like I have a new problem to deal with and its a different one. The "Check Engine Light" came on.

Being a flight attendant, my schedule is hectic. I called the dealer and they said that unless it was blinking, it wasn't a big deal. Well, guess what? I came home Friday and today, Sunday, I ran a few errands. After finishing the last errand, I came out to my car to find it dead. It won't turn over! Now what?!

I've been reading these posts and my conclusion is that I have an ignition module problem. Since I need to fly again tomorrow, my dad will be dealing with this issue. I told him to make sure and mention the ignition module, as I doubt it's a fuel tank problem after reading so many posts here. I don't want to spend that much money fixing it, either, as I am trying to locate a new car. That takes time, though, and I'm in serious short supply.

That brings my next question, do I buy another Malibu? I heard the 04 and 05 models are a vast improvement. Can anyone attest to this? I'd like to go foreign but I live in the Midwest and there aren't too many dealers (or service stations) in my area. Also, my dad is heavily against foreign cars (Not that his opinion matters much in this area, as he has chosen all of my cars to date and they have all been evil!) I really don't want to buy another junker! Please give me your honest opinions and if not a Malibu then what???

Thank you SO much!
    e2helper can you give me one more build date? 04 Malibu Maxx 4F161160 Thanks Deanna
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I have an 04 Malibu Maxx, which I really like. I've had a few issues that have been handled properly by my dealer: Incorrect fuel gauge reading (solved by replacing tank), Check Engine light remained lit (solved by reattaching an emission hose that came loose) and most recently a defective electric connector that shorted out the right front parking lamp. Aside from those things, it has been a pleasurable 12000 miles of driving.

Keep in mind that the 04 was the first year of a brand new design, so some bugs would be expected. Presumably the 05 models are better. Also, choose your dealer carefully -- mine has a super service department and believe me, that makes all the difference!

I compared the Malibu closely with the 04 Honda Accord and although I think the Accord is just a little more nicely finished, I really don't think there is enough difference in the overall driving performance to justify the extra cost. In my case, with the GM Card rebates, it would have amounted to over $2000.

I think the 04/05 Malibu offeres a lot of bang for the buck: Smooth, quiet, solid feeling, decent performance and great gas mileage (25-26 MPG in suburban stop and go). Good luck with your decision!
  • lfarkashlfarkash Member Posts: 9
    I have also noticed this with my Malibu Maxx. It seems more likely to happen after the car has been run and parked for a while. The engine starts but then there is a sound like a low growl or something unwinding. It sounds almost like it's coming from the sterring wheel.

I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably and the dealer thinks I'm crazy. As long as it doesn't shorten the life of the starter or some other component, it's not a big problem. But not having an explanation is rather annoying.
  • billbbillb Member Posts: 14
    Mine did the same thing today too for the first time that I have noticed. I was picking up my car after the first oil change and noticed it when I started my car. I said "Oh my gosh, I have read about this on Edmunds" I have started it 3 more times since without duplicating it.
    I might have heard that low growl as well, but have not paid that much attention. Will listen more closely now.

Are your steering columms factory issue, or have they been replaced?

One thing you may end up with when the steer columm is replaced are rattles in the dash. My Maxx gained several after that swap, but the dealers I have would probably destroy the dash fixing the rattles, so I live with them.

And incidently, t's not just the General's fault. Every first year car I have seen posted here is having more than its share of problems. Unfortunately there aren't enough changes in the newer Maxxes to make "trading" to a new one (in the hopes the bugs have been banished) cost effective.
  • billbbillb Member Posts: 14
    Everything is factory. I have a 2-05 build date and have only had the sun roof wind deflector added. It makes driving very quiet but blocks several inches (at least 4) of the opening. Noise or view. It is a trade off.
    I have one of the earliest 04 Maxx's and the steering column has been replaced. Thankfully no rattles. I'm taking the car in to have the driver's seat controls replaced. My seat lists to starboard. Thank goodness for the warrantee period. I, too got the wind deflector for free and recently had the headliner replaced to take care of the window shade problems. My dealer has been very good about fixing things. I guess that's the next best thing to having no problems to start with.

Still very happy with the car and would recommend it to anyone.
    01/27/2004
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    e2helper:
    "Because a couple of you mentioned Temp gauge I will do some more research (will take a while)."

For the third time my temp gauge is reading full cold and the engine cooling fans are running constantly. Check Engine light is not on. At the first occurrence the condition self-corrected and the second time the dealer replaced some relays.

Any lasting remedy?
  • crosby1crosby1 Member Posts: 23
    I own an 04 Maxx. It is reliabe and safe car that gets excellent gas mileage. I don't have the seat mounted side airbags but did order the 1SB package that got me the side window curtain bags. Go to the NHTSA web site and look at the dramatic differences in injury rates between cars that do and those that don't have some sort of side bag protection. THe best is to have both. I read one report that now more people are dying from side impact that frontal impact. I would check out the Insurance Institute crash tests as well. A few small cars, even with air bags, do well. You can glean a lot of information from Edmunds but Consumer Reports is very thorough and has a good system for evaluating the important things in a car: safety, reliability and economy.
    THe nfew Malibu scores highest in its class when it came to intitial quaility. The old version the last couple years had taken that place too. But the are two enirely diffferent machines. the new one feel so solid and maintains its composure even on rough roads.
    do you research than look me up if you want more insights.
    Bruce
    Sorry I don't have any suggestion yet. I did pass along some of your comments but as far as I can see there hasn't been any updates to PCM controller software recently. I will do a follow-up.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Is it the LT or LS model? I have the 05 LT and i have noticed the climate control adjusting it's self when I first start the car, sounds like a growl or something unwinding.
    Could this be the sound?
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    I had the same problem with my temp gauge on my 05 Maxx. Took into the dealer they claimed to have changed the sending unit, and all has been well now for a couple of months.
    good catch, meandmymaxx.... my LS HVAC, manual that it is, also sometimes makes moaning or "vibrating" sounds when the vehicle shuts off or starts up. This is probably due to the servo motors and their related vent flaps realligning themselves when power is applied to them.
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    My temp gauge was ok for maybe 4-5 months then went to cold and fans again. Relays were replaced and now your sender - my guess is it's software related but I guess/hope we'll see.

So far seems to occur in hot weather.
    The car is an LT. I normally use the manual setings for fan control and I try to turn off the AC before shutting off the car. Would there still be adjusting going on in manual vent mode.
    However, since I don't always remember to shut down, that could explain the intermittent nature of the noise. I will have to pay more attention. Thanks for the info, I don't think I would have ever thought of it myself. It's good to have a little peace of mind.
  • townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    Ok, I think my Maxx is tired of me.

Today, for the first time ever, my DIC told me "Diver Change" . No where in the manual does it mention this is something the DIC can say, so maybe it's personal......

Seriously, yesterday my CD player stopped working. I figured it was too hot and would be fine after I restarted the car. Sure enough, the next morning everything seemed fine, until I wanted to play CD #1. It said it was playing CD 1, but track 0, which I had never seen before. So, I was trying to get it to work and the "Driver Change" message appeared. I figured it had to something to do with my using the other key fob (which I've only used a few times ever) this morning. But, still, it was a weird message, don't you think?

By the way, i ejected CD1 and now everything is fine. Anyone ever gotten that message before? e2Helper, any ideas?
    Thanks.
    townhome,

This was probably a store-bought CD, right? Any time someone mentions a home burned CD it is of course suspected :D

If you continue to have problems I would suggest you take it to dealer. I haven't heard of your specific complaint before. I believe you had your radio already serviced in vehicle a while back, right? But that was a long time ago and so updates are likely available for certain complaints ;)

As far as the DIC message, do you remember which line of the display it was in (top or bottom)? And when it was displayed were you using the CD or AM or FM radio? I have never heard of a message like this but FM radio stations have the ability to transmit Radio Data System Messages to your radio and I have seen a few cases where some radio station in Canada was sending a cryptic message "Inovonics Model 711" which caused a few customers to take their vehicle to dealer for service :surprise: (I think it was 99.9 FM in Winnipeg)
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Also, it could have been CD Text that was burnt onto the CD, as the stereo (at least the single CD does, but don't see why the 6-disk wouldn't) will read and display CD Text information such as artist, song title, or any other messages that were put on the CD when it was made. Have yet to see a store bought CD with this, but its burnt on some of the most popular CD-burning software includes it when the CD is burnt. (legally downloaded of course)
  • townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    Thanks for your ideas. It was (of course) a CD I burned ;) And I can't remember where the message was, but I'm pretty sure it was there when it was in CD mode. This is only the 2nd time my CD changer has acting strangely, and both times it was with CD's I had burned. The only other prob was my left, rear speaker going out.

It's good to know my Maxx isn't tired of me, cause I still love my Maxx! :shades:
    The one thing I have learned about burned CD's is that they work well if you don't put labels on them.
  • crosby1crosby1 Member Posts: 23
    I have done a lot of research in neodymium magnets and their role in pulling metal particles out of motor oil and trany oil.
    I have a couple questions: does the trany on an 04 Maxx LS have a magnet in the transmission filter pan?
    If not, could a person place one in the bottom of the filter without adhering it with a strap or glue?
    Far less important is do you know if the oil drain plug is magnetized and would there be another good place to stick magnets on this car to aid in getting ferrous particles out of lubricating fluid?
    Thanks
    crosby1
    Sorry I don't think I can help out on that one.
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    I've had my 2005 Maxx for 6 months and I've noticed from day one that CDs pulled out of the player are warm/hot to the touch. Also, some of my CDs, both OEM and burned make a dull ticking noise that sounds like it corresponds to the spinning of the disc. Any resolutions? Anyone have luck with warranty replacement?
    I had numerous problems with my 04 Maxx stereo and it was replaced 3 times and the receiver once. Then in April the dealer replaced it again with an 05 stereo from the factory and finally eliminated the problems. It was apparently a software problem in the 04. I have an 05 Maxx now and so far no trouble. I have six disc player so I don't take out the disc's very often but I have had the CD's come out hot in almost every car I own.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    All GM transmissions have a magnet, have never found any without one. My 04 3.5 oil plug is not magnet, must be something new, any other GM engine had one. :)
  • alrstlalrstl Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble with my 04 Malibu. The car starts and runs for a few seconds, but then dies off. Thought it might be the fuel filter or something related to the fuel distribution. Any thoughts?
  • chrepa1018chrepa1018 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Malibu, 4 cyl (w/ twin cam, if that makes a difference), 108,000 miles. I have always turned the ac/heat off before turning the car off. My husband recently told me that it was okay to leave the ac on all of the time. Unfortunately, after a couple of days of doing this, I was greeted by this unholy sound of high pitched whining when I started the car. It almost sounds like stereo interference. Anyway, when I give it gas, it gets louder, & when I let off of the gas, it gets a little quieter. It doesn't do it all of the time, either.
    My husband took it to the local auto parts store & had them check the computer codes. Turns out that I had a spark plug misfiring, but that was all. He also had them check the alternator, but it's running fine. I am at my wits end. I would love any suggestions that anyone may have! Thanks!
    No Security Telltale (vehicle with lock symbol) is staying on in instrument cluster is it? V6 or 4 cylinder?
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    It's possible that by leaving the AC on during start up you are putting just enough additional load on the serpentine belt to cause it to slip. Try starting without the AC and if no noise then maybe you can get away with just tightening the belt though if it's original it's way past time to swap it out.
  • drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    FYI After somehow allowing my gas cap to become loose (I wonder how) I got this warning on the dash radio about it. It did'nt go out right away~ and then the engine light went on?. (didn't blink though,,, I called the dealer and they said not to worry until this light blinks continuously) I retightened it and now after a week it went away. Must be tied to start stop iterations. very annoying though! D~
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    yep, the computer controls the light and code, and will extinguish the CEL once you have started-stoped the car around 7 times (cycles) with the gas cap properly fitted.
  • chrepa1018chrepa1018 Member Posts: 3
    Well, after it started the whining noise, I started turning the ac off before I turned the car off. Unfortunately, it still whines on start up. Turning the ac on actually makes the noise quiet down a little. Although, I'm not sure if it's just drowning the sound out or if it's preventing a little of the whine.
  • brianleebrianlee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Malibu LS. I went to start it and all it does is grind. The battery is fine and gasoline pressure is adequate. The local garage towed it in and they inadvertantly let the battery run down. They charged it and now the car starts. What needs to be replaced?
  • jdnabrujdnabru Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Malibu LT and am having trouble with the XM radio. Usually, when I first start the car, the XM is working fine. Then all of a sudden, the radio shifts from XM to FM1 band and the Check DAB message appears briefly. At the same time, the Air Bag warning lite comes on. At this point the only bands available are FM1, FM2, and AM. No XM available. Then after awhile, the Check DAB reappears, XM becomes available again and the Air Bag warning lite either stays on on sometimes goes out. This whole process repeats itself periodically, every 5 minutes or sometimes longer. Have had it in the shop several times for this problem. They think they have it fixed but it the problem always reappears.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been going on for months nowl
    I know that you say the Air Bag Warning Light comes on at same time but most likely these are unrelated.

Are you sure the radio changes to FM1 or does it change to AM? My experience has been that the radio will switch to AM but.........do you listen to XM1 or XM2 usually? If this transition occurs pretty much within a few seconds after starting vehicle I would suggest your dealer look at this document: #PIC3193D - don't tell them who told you ;). If it happens sometime after just when driving then this is probably not applicable.

As far as airbag warning light, has any of your repair orders ever mentioned what fault code they have read from vehicle?
    It definitely switches to FM1 and it usually takes a minimum of 5 minutes driving before it happens. It seems to switch from XM1 and XM2 equally frequently. I listen to both.

Here's a thought. The dealer has experienced the air bag light coming on but never the radio switching bands. They've kept it for 2 and 3 days already testing and driving the car. They change some things and truly believe it's fixed. And I believe them. But as soon as I pick up the car, the problem occurs within a mile from the dealer. Now, I only leave the key with them, not the key fob. I always use the fob to unlock the car when I pick it up. Could the key fob be sending some "glitchy signal" to the radio that causes the problem?
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    We had the fuel tank replaced because it was warped, and to fix the gas gauge issue. Actually, the gas gauge was still inaccurate until it was reprogrammed. Since then it's been great.

A couple of days after the new tank was installed a fuel line came off and fuel gushed out under the car. The tow truck driver would not take the car until the fire department came and OKd the car to be moved. Towed in to dealer, line re-attached.

Now, a few months later, car stalled on freeway and there was fuel leaking out underneath. Towed in again. Now they say it's a problem with the fuel pump. Tomorrow will be the third day it's been in the shop since it stalled.

I don't know. It's a nice car when it's running, but it's by far the most unreliable car I've ever owned. Never been stranded before by a new car even once, let alone twice, during the first year. It's also been in the shop for steering clunking, radio replacement, window shade replacement, pulling to the left, tailgate rattle, misaimed headlights, etc. This is the car that carries my wife and daughters. I don't want them running around in something that might not get them home, or strand them in an unsafe place.

This car is a lemon under the legal definition in California. Don't know if I'll press it, but I could. I'd be a fool to buy an American car again.

Davismaxx
    2004 Maxx LS
    VIN 237245
    built May '04
    OK, so your experience with losing XM is a bit different that what I have experienced so the thing I mentioned probably not applicable.

I will have to think a little more about it.

If you wouldn't mind if you would reply back with last 6 digits of your VIN (not the whole thing!) I might be able to help a little more.

The key fob signal (specifically UNLOCK) IS used to personalize radio settings to which key fob (fob #1 or fob #2) was last used but that would be evident immediately when the radio first turns on.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    sorry to hear about the problems...I would follow the lemon law.....to replace the vehicle if you are that uncomfortable with it.....but dont worry about buying american....I have had a lemon law return on an 03 KIA Sorento....and major issues with a 00 Honda Accord....so problems are just with american manufacturers...In fact....I honestly beleive..for the most part....most of the car manufactures are on par with one another....there are some exceptions...some of the Japanese lines are still good but have slipped in the past...and the German autos have really lost ground in the last few years......hang in there....sounds like for the most part...the first time was poor repair....a gas line shouldnt just slip off.....and a fuel pump going within a year...that certainly sounds odd as well.....good luck
    the last 6 digits of the VIN are 172310

The dealer still has the car. they say they are trying to get an engineer on site to help out. The dealer even mentioned (before I brought it up) about "buying back the car". don't know if it will come to that or not