Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• liu02bhsliu02bhs Member Posts: 1
    My parents have a 2000 Chevy Malibu with 49K miles. It started squealing in the last couple of month. I figured it’s the belts. When I try to change the belts I realized that whoever designed the engine placement is RETARD.

To change the belt, you have to remove the MOTOR MOUNT. In case, y’all don’t know what a motor mount does, it attaches the engine to the car. I don’t know how many of you out there have an engine hoist to raise the engine, so that it won’t dip after you remove the motor mount, but I don’t. I’m pretty sure unless you are a really serious DIY that likes to rebuild engine and transmissions, you won’t have one either. The only other option is take it to a shop and pay about $150 to change a frigging belt.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    A wheel jack and a piece of 2X4 under the front of the pan will hold it up. :)
  • djazzmodjazzmo Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 Malibu Maxx program car. Love the car but I keep having problems with the CD Player. The old one would not read any CDs. Had it replaced with a new unit. On the new unit the tuning and volume knobs just stop working for a while. It's very frustrating. There seems to be a software problem in the radio. Anybody else had this problem?
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    The problem with tuning and volume knobs sounds specific to this part. I thought knobs are replaceable so I wonder if it has something to do with that?

I have seen other posts on radio and often complaint IS with CD player. I would have thought that the latest service radio corrected these issues - and I guess you haven't had a repeat of that issue.

Easter Egg!
    There is some way to read software level out of radio with a combination of button pushes. Might be interesting for you to see if you can read it out. It doesn't hurt anything to check but it does require a little coordination ;)

Seek up,Preset 5, Display pushed and released simultaneously
    Then just push Display to cycle thru values. Mode times out in a few seconds if you don't keep pushing the Display. Your dealer won't know about that one :P but they have a scan tool to find out same information.
  • ratchett01ratchett01 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased my Maxx 05 in July. Had a 7 mph hit to a pole in garage 3 weeks later. To date my maxx is still in the shop. The service rep. from my dealership called and said there is a 7 to 8 month back-order on the part needed, FRAME RAIL. GM has stopped production due to quality issue? My dealership contact said he had talked with the GM rep for Michigan and they told him they had located a 2005 maxx that had been TOTALED and to use the frame rail from this auto!
    My insurance man had called and was not comfortable with them fixing my car of THREE WEEKS with a JUNK YARD piece. I have called and contacted any and everyone I can to date, GM has said they feel they have fixed the problem for me.
    Any others with same issue, or advise
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    uum tough to call if your insurance carrier isnt comfortable using the used part....frame rail...is that a front, rear or side piece?..I cant imagine there is a back order of a part that long...and they have stopped production of the malibu for this one piece...is that what GM is telling you??? Curious
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    I had the same issue with my 05 Maxx and the left rear wheel liner. My wife ripped it out about 3 months ago when her bumper got caught on a stump she had backed over when she pulled away. They told me the part wasn't available when I checked at the local dealership. Cosmetically it looks ok except if you notice the missing mud flap. I'm sure all sorts of crap is getting splashed up into the rear quarter. Guess it's time to check again...
  • breyerbreyer Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 98 Malibu and have experienced complete brake failure twice. We live in the mountains so is very dangerous! After letting the car sit for 30 minutes, was functional again. I know very little about mechanics & I have limited resources for qualified mechanics where I live. Advice received includes replacement of the master cylinder and the brake assist / vacuum diaphram. Thank you for your response.
  • ratchett01ratchett01 Member Posts: 2
    The part needed is the front frame rail. GM has stopped production of the frame rail because of a quality issue, not the malibu. Gm has stated there will be a 6 or 7 month wait for part to be available.
    GM has told dealership to look into a salvage yard piece to fix the issue. My concerns are that GM would even consider having a dealership repair a new auto with salvage parts. What safety issues may come up later, as well as warranty and valuation concerns. Are new car buyers now to be concerned that GM quality parts are now purchased from the local junk yard? I have placed calls to the appropriate line of command at GM, they have stated that it is GM's position they have found the solution. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    as long as GM backs the warranty of the vehicle after repair ( get in writing)...it shouldnt matter...since the car was involved in an accident...and repaired at the GM shop...it will always have that record of repair....and will impact resale value.....as far as safety is concerned..if the GM repair shop recovers, inspects, installs and warranties the product....then the safety concern is nil....as long as it was not damaged to begin with.....as I stated earlier....does your insurance carrier care..and will he pay for the part from salvage.

Again...a 7 month wait.....there are parts available to build a car today...there must be a part to replace the damage one.....its GMs willingness to let a part go that was designated for production.....I had to wait almost a month for the rear quarter panel window....in my Maxx..couldnt beleive ti was back ordered that long..
  • wwadewwade Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem with my 2001 malibu , would not start, changed fuel pump,still would not start,towed it to shop ,cranked right up a week later same thing would not start , did all the keyswitch thing still wouldn't start .the thing that got me is every time it wouldn't start ,it was parked in the same spot in my driveway,with the driverside front wheel was in a small pothole so i thought maybe theres a low engine oil switch so i checked engine oil ,it was full so i over filled it 1/4 inch over full tried it and it cranked right up.if this works for any one plese reply thanks ....ramspecialties@yahoo.com
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    My 04 Maxx makes a pretty loud rattling noise then it goes over rough surfaces.
    Seems like it comes from front suspension. Any idea before I take it to a dealer?
    Thanx
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    My sedan does that too. We don't have the time right now to drop it off to have that checked out (just had a visit a week or so ago for some other stuff). But it's coming up on an oil change again (DIC indicates ~16%) and we'll probably have them check this out when we take it in for that. I've kind of been waiting for someone else with the issue that's had the problem and dealt with it to post here so I have an idea what they need to look for. Does that say how little faith most of the service departments I've dealt with have left me? Even though the current one seems pretty competent once they finally identify the cause of an issue. (sometimes takes them a second or third visit though)
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    My DIC is 57% and I do not have ANY faith in dealer's service department.
    I do recall thou, that there was similar problem discussed earlier and it turned out to be steering column related...
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    At my last dealer appoinment I told them the front end feels like and sounds like it is going to fall off when I hit a bump. It is worse if I am going around a curve. Naturally they told me nothing was wrong. However the noise was gone. Wonder what they did.
  • minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    My 04 Maxx has a front (suspension?) rattle as well. It seems to be in the front on the passenger side. So far the dealer has replaced the steering column, one strut, one strut bearing and the anti-sway bar end bushing. It still rattles. The dealer has run out of ideas and I have run out of patience. Smooth roads and a loud radio seem to be the best solution!
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    The '05 malibu maxx they had for demo rattled its front suspension when going over ruts and speed bumps (was relatively new - 200 miles or so). Mine rattles over bumps as well - 27K miles.

While I detest the practice, it is now common repair policy to use "refurbished" parts for repair (read your warranties for other products, especially computers! you'll see!). I assume this includes salvaged frame components as well?

...and what's with these 7-month part backlogs? Is the Fairfax plant running three shifts to build these cars or what?
  • doombertdoombert Member Posts: 8
    I had a rattling noise in the front of my 2004 Maxx when driving down bumpy or gravel roads. Took it to the dealer and this is what the service sheet says they did:
    "CAUSE: STEERING GEAR PRELOAD MISADJUSTED"
    "CORRECTION: CHECK ADJUST STEERING GEAR PRELOAD RECHECK OK".

I have since not noticed the rattle anymore, but I have no idea what they actually did.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I had a similar rattle that sounded like a loose strut, that turned out to be the steering column, after replacing it the problem went away. But has returned (about 11k miles later) but not as bad as it was. Probably won't get it fixed again unless it gets worse, as the only time it makes the noise is when driving down my drive-way at about 10mph.
    That sounds exactly like the rattle we hear in ours. We travel up / down about 250 feet of gravel surfaced driveway to get in and out from our house, and that's where I notice the rattle most. It also occasionally rattles when turning into or out of parking lots and speed bumps.
  • ninelivesninelives Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2005 Maxx V6 in May, I had about 6,000 miles on and by that point in time the the following started to happen.
    Sitting in traffic and not even in extreme heat days it starts to over heat. Then it bounces back to normal. Does not matter if the AC is on or not.
    The engine is running so rough that you can feel it through the wheel, foot petal and engine gear shifter.
    Sometimes when you start the car you hear a grinding hum noise and in addition it seems to extend the crank/start until it final starts.
    Also have a very high pitched noise from the drivers side that can be best heard when traveling under a under pass.

I took to the dealer the first time they found nothing I drove about 50 miles and the check engine light came on, (LOL) and second visit scanned and came up with code PCM DTC P0442 failed. Then they found erratic readings on fuel pressure traced the problem to internal PCM Problem. The replaced the fuel sensor.

Well I am still with a rough engine, same starting problems and of course the over heating. Any ideas out there. I am headed back to the dealer on Monday. I have not allowed the car to completely over heat I have able to get into moving traffic and the temp goes straight back to normal. I am lucky that is has not completely crossed over into the red zone on the temperature gauge.
    go back to msg 113 in this forum..and look at the issues and responds...

how hot does the temp gauge read....I have an 04 Maxx..and sitting in rush hour traffic..I have jumped a full 1/4..but can hear the fans come on to assist the cooling....perhaps a coolant sensor issue...or instrument cluster issue...

make sure you ask the service manager to insure the PCM has the most recent programming..and if not..do a reflash of the unit....
  • ninelivesninelives Member Posts: 2
    HI and thanks for the help and suggestions I missed those when I looked earlier today. The temp gauge will jump up a 1/4 just red line. The problem is the dealer can not get it to repeat the performance hence they see no problem. The fans are always running fine. I will be sure to ask but I am new at with some of the terms you are folks are using so could you help educate Rita here. What does PCM mean or stand for. When a gal asks a service mgr. for specific things they sometimes tend to look at you with two heads, well I am sure you understand what I am trying to say.

Thanks again!
    PCM is your control module ...you computer on board the car that does a myriad of things to keep it running......I forget what the acronym stands for....anyone?
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Powertrain Control Module
  • drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    ? Had anyone replaced thier Key & KEYLESS ENTRY REMOTE KEY FOB ?
    Mine got stole and is it a chip type? how much did you pay? 05 Maxx D~
    I paid $38 for a new key (Passkey 3+ type for a 2005 G6) at a local mom/pop locksmith but admittedly didn't shop around.

I went there instead of the dealer I purchased vehicle from because I was curious how easy they could find a blank for the key since it was a brand new vehicle. I was also PO'd at the dealer because the key I was replacing was one they had done a crappy job cutting and so it didn't work correctly. The locksmith didn't have it immediately available and had to special order it but it worked fine the first time they got it programming procedure for a new key is in the owner manual.

No experience with a key fob but in order for it to work you need to take your car to the dealer to program.
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    Some time ago my check engine light came on. When the dealer read the code, it was because the thermostat was faulty and the car was running 3 degrees too cold. Once the thermostat was replaced the only difference that I noticed was the heat worked better. I suspect that the engine temp is still within the spects for the engine and that the check engine light would come on before the engine actually overheated. It can be disconcerting when the temp gauge moves up.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    My first thought was that the Aztec designer still has a job at GM.

Ain't this the truth!

Will hopefully get to see this turkey next Sunday; reviews and photos of HHR suggest the Maxx's soooo much nicer.

Ditto.

And unfortunately, the HHR __is__ going to replace the Maxx, by end of 2007.

Argh! :( Say it isn't so...if there's no Maxx in the future, I guess I'm going back to the sedan. Or if I need to haul stuff, to an Equinox.
  • makkmakk Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I picked up my new 2005 Maxx LS on Aug 22, 2005. It runs great but I do have two issues/concerns.

1. When viewing the car from behind the rear right side seems lower than the real left.
    2. Roof rattles when driving on a rough or bumpy road.

Has anyone else noticed the same?

Thx u,
    Makk
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    davismaxx: yep, the front end on this car has always sounded like that. I had my steering column replaced and it stopped the twitchiness. Now I have a squeek however. I'm not doing anything about it since this column is much improved over the first. I hate to mess with it over a squeek. I've also had the right strut replaced, with no results. I'm assuming this front end issue is simply a design flaw we'll all have to live with

makk: depends on which roof rattle you are refering to; there have been two distinct ones described on these pages: 1) the metal rattle at the front of the sun roof. The metal plate springs/hinges rattle. I put some velcro in that area last year, and it seems to have worked. 2) the roof rattles around the light housing. I also had a problem here; turned out to be a piece of loose cardboard left in during assembly. Other's who continue to have this problem can chime in with their description of their rattles in this area.
  • jmax4jmax4 Member Posts: 22
    makk:
    I have 2004 Maxx LS built in Jan.2004

I see the same thing when I look from behind the car. The rear right side is lower than the left side. When I looked underneath the car, it seems that my 2004 Maxx has the deformed suspension spring on this side.
  • 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    2004 Malibu, 2.2L engine. Blower fan runs on all speeds. Inlet and outlet pipes to heater core are both hot showing hot coolant is flowing through. Problem - air blowing out of vents is ice cold even when temperature control knob is set to maximum hot. Seems as if the temp. control knob does not directly control flappers or valves in this car but a series of contacts. No doubt the wretched computer has something to do with this. Anybody with any ideas?
    I would suggest you might want to try resetting power to the HVAC control head in your vehicle to see if temperature door operation resumes, otherwise you will want to have dealer look at it.

Any other service been done to vehicle (maybe they unplugged the temp door actuator?). I forgot where that one is located - I think on driver side of "center stack"

If ignition is OFF just one fuse to remove and reinstall. There is a fuse puller in same device so easy enough. Just locate the IP fuse panel which is accessed behind trim cover forward of console on passenger side. This is meant to be customer accessible so no tools. Check owner manual for fuse location although also embossed on back of the same panel. Fuse name is HVAC CTRL (BATT)
    Thanks for that tip. The only work that was done was to replace the power steering as per recall. That was done several months ago and as its been so hot here, I have not tried the heat until now. I also told the dealer to load the latest updates into the computer. I had intermittent no-start problems which have been cleared up since that time. I suspected that the computer might have had something to do with the no heat situation.
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    Can anyone tell me what it means when I get a CHECK RSE on the DIC? I have also gotten CHECK DAB. Nothing is happening at the time I just get this reading for a few seconds and it goes away. :confuse:
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    I've been reading here for awhile and decided to register. I have a roof rattle. Reading here the dome lamp is a common cause for this and I started disassembling the dome lamp. However after some more diagnosis it appears that the problem is the sunroof cover (I can move it and put my hand on it to keep it from rattling). My question is, how do I get the dome lamp cover snapped back on? I only unsnapped the rear part of it and it when I push back up, the headliner compresses and the dome lamp housing goes up with it.
    I'm not sure what the Check DAB message means (mine did it once every few months and then went away for no reason). I belive the Check RSE refers to the Rear Seat Entertainment system. Its telling you that there is something wrong with the RSE system.
    I don't have my owner's manual handy, but that one was one of the few they actually listed in it. The only reason I'm sure of it is that we had the same message with ours, but restarting the car made it go away. If I remember right it was something to do with the XM tuner module.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    See post 3720 under Malibu Maxx discussion for info on sunroof cover noise. Sorry, I can't help you with assembly of dome light.
    I'll check that out, thanks. Maybe someone else who has performed the dome light repair can chime in on how to get it snapped back on.
    From the manual:

Check DAB: Hardware failure - If this message does not clear within a short period of time, your receiver may have a fault. Consult with your retail location.
  • asoscarasoscar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 malibu and it has a starting problem too. All it does it turn over and then does nothing. It's like all of my electrical system just dies. They have tried 7 times to fix it and cannot do it.
  • puhrince76puhrince76 Member Posts: 1
    i was driving on the highway at 75 kph and suddenly i hear this burst in the rear..after stopping in my car later, i noticed that the rear skylight(glass) had cracked apart - i looked inside - the glass from the inside view is brittle and ready to break into little pieces..took the car to dealer - they said it can't be covered under warranty since it is an impact crack from a rock/stone from the highway and not a stress crack(which is covered) - to me it seems a manufacturing defect but how do i prove it? can a stone in a projectile motion hit the car exactly in the rear skylight?? anyone thinks this is fishy or have had similar experiences?
    My no-start problems were fixed with a software update. Ask your dealer to check for all updates for your model. If he cannot fix it take the car to another dealer.
    Hmm,

Steering column is pretty big so maybe they displaced/unplugged wiring going to the HVAC actuator on that side of vehicle - something to look into first.

There is no update available for the "computer" that controls the HVAC system and temperature/mode actuators on your vehicle.
    Others already answered but that is Rear Seat Entertainment System (DVD Player) and Digital Audio Band (XM). It is important to identify WHEN this occurs. Does it typically/always occur right after starting the vehicle?

These types of messages usually indicate a brief loss of communication between the radio and the DVD and XM receivers, the fact that it goes away indicates it likely isn't serious.

Depending on your answer to my question there might be a radio update available to address that concern (at least the CHECK DAB one).
    "turn over and then does nothing"?
    Need more details on this. Wjat are you doing and what is vehicle doing. And when it does nothing is that because you ceased trying to start vehicle or because vehicle stopped cranking on its own? How long does it crank before stopping.

What type of engine? Very important when talking about starting.
    Well, I removed and replaced the fuse that you mentioned and the heat then started to work. But, it only worked once and then quit again. I have just tested the car again and the heat still did not work. The fact that it worked once seems to suggest that the connections are all made. It could of course be an intermittent connection. If I do not get it working I'll have to take it to the dealer.

Where are the days when air was contolled by springs and things and sealing wax? Now it's all left to a sullen microchip that tells you nothing.
    Glad you were able to find fuse - I guess at this point you will likely need to take to dealer. I am not aware of any other cases of your complaint.