Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    I can count at least 6 grounding points on my Malibu but I wouldn't know where they would be on your model. You'll just have to look around. Check all big lugs with wires that are bolted to the body.
    By the way, alternators have an integral voltage regulator built into them so I hardly think that the computer is contoling the alternator.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Not on the newer models, the computer may even shut the alternator off going down the highway when the battery is fully charged. The technology is changing fast, hard to keep up. :)
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Since getting my SC replaced on my Maxx, I have noticed a soft but persistent squeaking noise coming from centerline in the engine area. I told my dealer that I believe it is the new column. On two occasions, they could not hear the squeak. No big deal since it is only a squeak. Now in the past 2 weeks, the slight jitters have returned to my steering wheel when first starting the car and driving at parking lot speed. Amazingly (not to me of course), the squeaking has stopped since the jitters have started. I'm guessing I'll be needing another column down the line. I just thought I'd throw this out to anyone who may hear the squeaking (on rough roads, over speed bumps, and even on moderate road undulations) and think it is the front left strut. My strut was replaced the first time I brought it in, in an effort to eliminate the squeaking. It did not work. I have long suspected the replacement steering column, but could never get the hearing challenged dealer to hear what I was hearing.
    I suppose I should have known somebody would have snuck computer control in for alternators. I don't mind progress but the latest technology in my mind is overkill. The problem is that when something goes wrong nobody seems to be able to repair it. I suppose shutting down the alternator is for better fuel economy ?
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Yes, and to avoid overcharging battery (to improve battery life)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I believe this was an issue with the previous model Malibu. There were a number of models that did have this problem including the L-Series and Intrigue. The problem seemed to be the voltage regulator in the alternator. GM issued a revised alternator that was suppose to fix this problem. One thing that you may want to try is replacing the battery. If you had problems with the alternator, it may have damaged your battery and affected its recharging.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I'm afraid I might be needing a second new steering column in my 04 Malibu soon. About a year ago, it was replaced because it was rattling really bad. Now the rattle has come back, and I can hear what I believe is the electric motor when I turn the wheel. Which I don't believe being able to hear in the past.
  • kelfeenkelfeen Member Posts: 2
    My 04 Maxx has been in the shop 4 times over the last two months- soon to be 5 if they ever call me back! Originally i took it in due to it pulling left, the passenger seat back came off, and the gas gage was not reading full when the car was filled up. After a long, long, long saga of them not fixing the problems even after replacing the gas tank - I did a search online and found you all here. I called the dealership and informed them of the TBS's out for these very problems they claimed they "had never heard of before." So they kept the car a few days longer and promised it was fixed - I went to pick up the car - and the gage was not reading full, they claimed this was due to the fact they test drove to to check the left pull - I took it straight to the gas station - put .88 gals in it to top it of and it was not reading full and i immediately returned the car. They had it another week and a half - gave it back to me and finally the needle was on full! A week later... My husband was driving out of town when the car suddenly died.. soon to find out the car had run out of gas while still reading it had 1/8 of a tank left - the light hadnt even come on yet. We called the dealership (at this point we are talking to the Service Manager on first name basis) he promised they ordered in a whole new fuel sensor system (this is supposedly the 3rd or 4th we have had in there) and would come get my car when the parts arrived - repair it -and bring the car back to me in the same day. Well - that was 5 days ago - and still no word from them.

I am the end of my patience with them. I haven't even mentioned the rough idle to them and I am just not sure what to do. I feel like I have a Lemon.
    I love my car for the most part - but i am just tired of the issues! I have been in a rental car for a total of 24 days. (dont even get me started with the issues i had with them!)

I feel like I should call someone above the Service Manager. He has been really nice about everything, they did put me in a rental car and detailed my car. But Nice only goes so far - I want my car fixed. Any advice out there?
    I'm not convinced you have a lemon. I do know you have a terrible service department. Is there another Chevy service center in your town? If not, I would talk to Service manager, very nicely, and explain your frustration (definitley mention the rough idle). Let them know that you appreciate their kindness and patience but that you are not satisfied with the service you have been receiving toward getting your car fixed. Tell him you pormised to have your car by a certain date and you have not heard anything. Again, tell him how dissatisfied you are with this situation and ask him who you need to talk to get this resolved. I don't expect to give you his superior's phone number but this is jsut to let him know you are serious about this situation. I'm not sure how he will respond to this but you should remain calm the entire time. Before this phone call, you should go to GM website or look in the owner's manual for a phone number for Customer Service.

The problem is nothing you mentioned with your vehicle is a new issue with the Malibu. I think you are dealing with a bad service department. :mad:
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I have to concur that you have a lousy service department...since they had no clue of all the TSBs available on the issues you have with the car..although the passenger seat back coming off is a new one.....tank and gauge is an easy fix..pulling left is calibration of the steering column..possibly a alignment issue...make sure the tires have the correct air pressure...the rough idle is taken care of by reflashing the PCM....again all in TSBs....they are too lazy to look them up..or just incompetent to do it...the service manager should be able to do all of this!!
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    September 16, 2005
    Received a call from the dealership inquiring about further issues. Reported the event of the 14th. Later that night I encountered a new problem. The left directional was flashing at twice the normal speed. I got out of the car at the intersection and found the left front light was not flashing. The left front running light was on. Upon returning home I checked the filament of that bulb and got continuity on both the running light and directional filaments. Testing the hazard lights I found them to flash at what seemed a normal speed. However the front left light did not flash.

Oh man, just days after reading your post, my car is doing this now too. :sick: My car must like having problems that I read about. :( On my way home, I went to make a left lane change and the dash indicator was going 2x speed. It did this all the way until my driveway. Once I got into the driveway it was flashing normal speed, but the bulb was dim compared to the passenger's side one. So I play with it some and it goes out again only to restart randomly. :sick: Feels like I'm in someone's sick idea of a problem of the week game. Last week it was the rear passenger seatback adjustment lever.
    the rough idle is taken care of by reflashing the PCM....

Not entirely for me. Idle is better but it gets rough if the temp gauge moves over normal. It also decided to idle roughly after 10 mins of idling.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    The double-flash rate for turn signals is the more common method used to indicate that one of your turn signals is not flashing correctly on new vehicles. It is a legal requirement and described in your owner's manual.

Hazard lamps under same condition are supposed to continue to flash at normal rate.

I see many vehicles on road of different brands where turn signal are flashing too fast - I always think to myself "Hey buddy, check your turn signals!" :)

Likely if you find that the bulb looks OK the problem will be the interface between bulb and socket has deteriorated for some reason. It might start working OK if you fiddle with it but likely only temporarily. The body module will have stored a code any time the turn signal flash fast like that so there will be evidence for dealer that something occurred.. I would suggest taking to dealer just in case the lamp socket needs to be replaced.

If you ever try to replace the bulb on your own make sure you use the exact part specified in your owner's manual - don't substitute something else.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    e2helper wrote: "Yes, and to avoid overcharging battery (to improve battery life)"

That's what voltage regulators are for. A properly designed, and operating, voltage regulator will taper off the charge to zero when the battery reaches a preset voltage level.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I just want to second the opinions about your service department...i.e., that they're not very bright. I had the exact same fuel gauge problem you described (not reading more than 7/8 full and dropping rapidly toward the end of the tank), and my dealer fixed it painlessly and correctly on the first try. That was almost a year ago (and 10000 miles) with no further problems.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Likely if you find that the bulb looks OK the problem will be the interface between bulb and socket has deteriorated for some reason. It might start working OK if you fiddle with it but likely only temporarily.

This was exactly what happened with the right front turn signal on my 04 Maxx. The dealer fixed it immediately and told me that it was rather common.
    w9cw wrote, "That's what voltage regulators are for. A properly designed, and operating, voltage regulator will taper off the charge to zero when the battery reaches a preset voltage level".

That's what I thought. And, if the voltage has tapered off to zero then the alternator does not present a load to the engine anymore. So why introduce the computer into the story? I tell you - it's all overkill. It's a plot to get rid of shadetree mechanics. Make things so complicated that nobody can fix problems - not even the manufacturer. Throw it away and buy a new one.
  • gmaxxgmaxx Member Posts: 10
    My '04 Maxx's seat heaters have been coming on periodically by themselves for over a year. My dealer says he cannot duplicate the problem. Both the driver's and passenger's seats have exhibited this problem. Even when I would possibly want to use these in the winter, in Alabama the "high" position is uncomfortably hot, but when you don't turn it on and it does its own thing in warm weather it is a nuisance. Has anyone else had this to happen with their Maxx? :confuse:
    That is what I was thinking, taking it into the dealer. What exactly causes this deterioration after only 15,000 miles? We've had many other cars go over 100,000 miles without this type of problem.

You're saying that you see car's exterior turn signals flashing at a higher rate? When mine quit working, the one on the back was flashing normally, it was just the signal on the dash that was going faster. Nice feature if you ask me! :D
    You can add me to the list of people with seat heaters coming on by themselves. It has only happened once or twice and it only came on low. I looked at the switch and neither the 1 or two light was on. Plus I've had a few times where I turn it on but the seat either doesn't get very warm, or doesn't come up to #2 like I wanted it to.
    I had the same problem...burned out bulbs....every three months..took it to the dealer..and they replaced the socket....and no problems since...about 6 months now.....
    Just as a matter of interest in continuing my theme about complexity in modern auto electronics, take a look at this -

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200411/ai_n9469461

The Ecotec engine powers the 4cyl. 2004 Malibu.
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    We had that problem develop in our 04 Maxx after one year and it also would happen randomly. The seat when I did use it would get way to hot and almost burn in the #2 position. The dealer could not figure it out. Thankfully we are not having this issue with the 05 Maxx. Just not great mileage around town.
  • firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hehehe funny bro...Thanks..Jack
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    Just passed 20K and now that all the build quality and new model issues have been resolved (except the clunky front suspension) we are finding this to be an excellent family car, comfortable, versatile, and safe. The OE tires are very good--looks like they'll go to 50K, easy. The oil life system is letting us go 8K or so between oil changes, which is convenient for us and good for the environment. Just to be safe I am running synthetic oil, however.

The last I heard about the clunking in the front on bumps the fix was to have the steering preload adjusted. Haven't done that yet. However, I have my doubts about it. I just came back from a business trip and my rental car was a 2006 Malibu LS V6 with just 1500 miles. Same clunking, exactly. Seems to be a design problem, wouldn't you agree?

We're also disappointed in the cloth upholstery. It stains way too easily, and rarely looks clean. We had the rear seat cushions covered in vinyl long ago. Now we're thinking about doing the fronts that way too.

Those of you with inaccurate fuel gages--ask the dealer to recalibrate it using the scan tool before replacing the tank. We had our tank replaced and the gage was still the same--never read full. Then another dealer recalibrated it, and it's been fine ever since.

Same thing for pulling left or right--the dealer can center the steering electronically. It works like a charm.

Motor on!
    Davis Maxx
    2004 Malibu Maxx LS
    thanks for the update and the tips....I have been fortunate not to experience any of the first year bugs in my 04 Maxx LT....getting ready to cruise pass 47K on my car...and simply love it...running syn oil as well..but changing every 6K plus or mine 500 miles....takes the GMOL down to around 40%..lots of highway miles here....now that Im not running the A/C as much..getting around 30MPG on the open road.....with a commute of 150 miles a day....yes...but coming to an end in three weeks.......plus several long road trips to SC and back from VA...the car as cruised well...

still convinced there is a major difference in the knowledge and management of service departments in the various dealerships...seems they have done nothing but hurt this cars reputation..when they simply dont know how to fix a simple issue...or even look up a TSB......for those of us that have found a good service department....we are the lucky ones.......ok..off the rant now...cheers!
  • minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    My dealer tried fixing the "clunk" to no avail. Replaced steering column, put tie wrap on several hoses and tubes, replaced the following on the right hand side: strut, strut bushing, antisway bar link. The clunk is unchanged and I have given up trying to find a fix. Normal or at least "common", I guess.
    This is one problem I don't have...yet. ;) My car is quiet going over bumps. I do hear noise when I go over something major. At work we have a gate at the entrance and when it is open there is a big dip in the road with a large metal bar in the middle of it for the gate to slide on. Think RR tracks only 10x worse.
  • puhrincepuhrince Member Posts: 8
    I had posted earlier last month - the rear skylight glass on the Malibu Maxx had shattered while driving on the highway..that issue apart,now its been 6 weeks and there is no sign of any replacement part (have been following this up with a glass parts company) anywhere in the country..Chevrolet keeps telling me every week that the part is on the way from the GM assembly line, but it never arrives..i have the hole(where the skylight was) covered with a cardboard all these days - can i sue this morons? i know i can't but I am mad at them - i am not recommending GM products to anyone anymore plus i already have issues with the skylight shattering on the highway. I just read news recently that there were similar incidents for the Cadillac SRX where the glass roof shattered on the highway.
  • kelfeenkelfeen Member Posts: 2
    Ok - I met with the Service Manager last night (he has been the only one i have been dealing with since visit 2) I discussed with him the Ohio Lemon Law and he feels though i have grounds to stand on since its been in 5 times for fuel and 3 times for alignment - however he admits it is more of the mistake of his service dept not the manufacturing process. He is speaking of extending my warranty to 5-7 years depending on what GM would be willing to do. Has anyone heard of this? I havent seen anything posted about this from what i have searched though. He said he would back me up if I would to pursue the Lemon issue with GM - and explained that they would "buy back" the car at the depreciated value.. i guess i really need to do some more research as far as what is going to happen now. All I know is I bought a new car - so i would not have to take it to the shop - and deal with these issues! This has been the biggest pain! :mad: I think you are all right - i think my car *CAN* be fixed - i think. but how many times do i have to take it there before enough is enough? 5 times in 2 months - 7 times? 10 times? what about when i go to sell/trade in my car? When they look up my VIN number it is going to show all of these repairs right? Grrrr :mad:
    I had to have the rear quarter panel glass replaced...the repair shop broke it during body repairs.....took 4 weeks to get the piece in...and it was almost $300 for the small piece of glass.....seems it came from some small supplier of GMs....thank goodness it was the other guys insurance company that paid for it!!!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I think I hear a scare factor being added in... "depreciated value."

IIRC the only mark down is the mileage cost to pay for the mileage you have used on the car that you would have had to pay on any car which you owned. If he thinks they're going to depreciate the car 20% or something, I would contest that.

Who knows lemon law?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I beleive you are correct on mileage depreciation....in answer to the original question...as long as the dealership inputs the repairs done to the car it should reflect in the GM data base.....

lemon law varies by states......in VA the car has to be our of service for 30 days total for the same problem...and the dealer must be afforded three times to correct the issue.....again check your state laws....also interesting that the service manager admits its his service department and not the manufacture process....that might impact the buy back as well...because it can be fixed.....but again....the number of attempts and the lenght of time in the shop for the same problem are probably the keys
    In CA it is 30 days out of service does not have to be the same problem. If it is a safety issue you get a better response. However mine were almost all electrical. The stereo was replaced several times, heated seats coming on by themselves, had and oil leak, a headlight replaced, headliner replaced and so on.
    I had my first Maxx bought back under the CA lemon law. It had numerous problems and eventually almost all of them were resolved. When they did the buyback the only deduction made was for mileage usage up to the first repair which was at 845 miles and cost me $194. They do not refund the extended warranty in full it is prorated also. Also any extras that you add like window tint are not reimbursed.
    I would contact your New Motor Vehicle Board in your state, if you have one, and see if they can help you. We have one in CA and they do all the work at no charge.
    Even after all the trouble with the first one, which was an 04, we went back and bought an 05 Maxx. So far to date no trouble. We really love this car.
  • dr0ff0dr0ff0 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu 2.4L :lemon: and it needs to have four new fuel injectors. Is this something that I can do at home, or does it really need a pro in a shop to do it?

I've been quoted 1.5 hours labor plus the cost of four new injectors at $125 each; I can buy them online for $29.96 each, so I'm thinking I might go ahead and try -- if there is a chance of my actually doing it :-)

Thanks!
    Problem of the week: Sunroof. Totally inoperative. I suppose that is better than being stuck open. :sick:

Anybody want to take bets on what the next problem is going to be? :lemon:
    What it comes down to is do you want to dump tis car or stick it out? If you do Lemon Law, don't expect toomuch other than breaking even (depends on how much you are financing). And you still have to buy another car. If you stick it out, it sounds like you may be able to get a extended warranty through GM which may be the route to go if you really like the car. The GM warranty is transferrable which will help when/if you sell your car.

It's a matter of do you want to bail or stick it out?
    pao,new update - chevrolet says that the part will take another 2 weeks to arrive!
    all this while every week they kept saying thats its coming mid-late this week,and today the rep said that he is embarassed by it - apparently the supplier lied to them about availibility of the part..this happened after a voicemail by him yesterday - "the part is in transit to your town"... amazing set of lies
    all,is there a consumer complaints forum where I can lodge a complaint against Chevrolet? It will be (hoping it will be) 2 months for the replacement part to arrive - and only now are they considering the option of a loaner car for me - due to safety and security issues,which they didn't feel existed before!
    parts suppliers are always under the control of GM...that was the case with my window...a small town vendor.......anyway...keep us informed
    bad switch..or fuze?
    The same engine was used on some Chevy Cavaliers and I have a Chiltons manual for that. It seems as if the job is quite straight forward and should present no difficulties. Why do you need to change the injectors? My 1998 Cavalier has done 130,000 miles with the same injectors and no problems with them to date.

Before you work on the fuel system you must relieve the fuel pressure.

1. Loosen fuel filler cap to relieve tank pressure. Do not tighten at this time.
    2. Start engine and let idle.
    3. Remove fuel pump relay from power distribution block in engine compartment.
    4. Let engine run until fuel supply in fuel pipes is consumed.
    5. Disconnect negative battery cable.
    bad switch..or fuze?

Who knows? It goes in in a few days so I'm going to let the dealer fix it.
    I am not sure what state you are in but in CA the warranty does not transfer you have to cancel it and get a refund which is prorated.
    We actually came out ahead on our buyback with the new one being on sale and we had paid off enough we could pay cash and save the finance charges and get the rebate. They do reimburse the full amount you have already paid on the car minus usage fee.
    We were offered an extended warranty and one months car payment first from GM but turned it down and held out for a buyback.
  • trillchasertrillchaser Member Posts: 1
    :sick: :mad: I have a 1999 Malibu LS. For the most part, it's a good car but recently, I've had problems with the Theft system. The light starts flashing when i first try to start the car and the car will not star. I called a dealer which told me to leave the key on the on position (without starting the engine) for ten (10) minutes and the theft system will re-program itself. This works but i find myself having to do this very frequently.
    CAN ANYONE HELP !!!???
  • pourlemeritepourlemerite Member Posts: 7
    Puhrince,

I had my skylight replaced in June, and waited 10 weeks for the part to arrive. Apparently, skylights are not stocked as spare parts and my service manager told me, as you were told, that one would have to be pulled from the assembly line. The issue with my skylight was not with the glass itself, but rather, a large split in one section of the rubber trim that runs around the edge of the glass.

I hope your replacement part arrives sooner than mine did as your issue is serious.
    Pourlemerite,

I finally got word from GM that the part is not coming off their assembly line,but rather it comes from a supplier in Mexico..they said the part departed from Mexico on Friday.. now why they lied to me earlier i have no idea, and why the part is being shipped only now, i have no idea tooo (neither do they)..
    and the temporary cardboard cover which was coverting the skylight hole came off on the weekend..i had to get a new cover and get it retaped again..at the same time my wife has to watch out for rain
    I'm surprised the dealer does not have a local windshield shop for such items like this. 6 weeks is a long long time for a simple glass replacement.
    not sure its a straight forward glass replacement with the tint etc and it is an odd shape...so probably not a standard piece a local windshield shop would carry...they would probably have to order it as well....