Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• princess4princess4 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx in red. I just got a recall notice on the visors. Mine were broke when I did a test drive. Plastic doesn't last too long. Lets hope these new ones are much better.... :D
  • busey1busey1 Member Posts: 8
    YOu might not want to here this but I had this same problem and they had to replace the whole starter system. then it continued again and they found that there was a water leak in the windshield that dripped into the main computer board under the glove box. I would have them check both out.
  • carguy21carguy21 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Malibu has the same problem with the rear speakers going out.

Did you fix yours and if so how?

Thanks for the info.
  • frayedgnotfrayedgnot Member Posts: 6
    This past week I'm leaving work and try to start my 04 Maxx remotely . . nothing happens. I try to unlock the doors remotely . . nothing happens. By this time I'm at the car and can hear a strange whirring. Manually unlock the car and notice every light on the dash flipping on and off randomly. Turn the key in the ignition and nothing happens, no click, nothing but the light show quits. After about 5 seconds with the key in the IGN position, my normal dashboard lights come on but car still won't start. I get a jump from a co-worker and the car starts fine. I drive home, no issues. I turn off the ignition at home and try to restart the car right away with no luck, same symptoms as before (complete with light show). Called the dealer who sent a wrecker, wrecker driver says "dead battery, happens on all the remote start cars". Dealer had the car for 4 hours then called and said car was ready, only problem was the battery died and they replaced it. I understand batteries going down, but 16 months old? Dealer says they checked for parasitic drain (something sucking the battery down) and couldn't find anything. I don't see any other posts on batteries themselves, but I'm wondering if the comment about remote start wiping the battery faster is true.
  • 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    I'm afraid that the new Malibu's are fine cars but are having their reputation damaged by crappy electronics. The other day my clock mysteriously lost 10 minutes causing me to be late for work. Then the radio lost its presets - I am the only driver of this vehicle and use the same key fob all the time - then, the radio refused to search so I could not re program the presets. The next day everything worked normal again.

Once when starting the car it sounded as if it was only firing on 2 cylinders - I have the 4cyl. Ecotec - this went on for at least 30 seconds. Switched off and re started and the engine was fine again. This and other random events convinces me that some computer is hanging up or is unstable. I just hope a fix is on the way because I find it very annoying. I don't know what to expect next.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    What type of radio do you have? How many lines in its display 1 or 2? That is easiest way to tell or whether it has 3 or 4 buttons on each side of display. The base level radio has 1 line and 3 buttons, the uplevel radio has 2 lines of display and 4 buttons.

The radio with Six-Disc CD changer is another radio version which also has 2 lines of display and 4 buttons although they have different functions.
    If this is factory remote starter I am not aware that it causes any extra battery drain. He might have been commenting on aftermarket stuff which I am sure would cause extra battery drain since they are adding additional electronic modules to the vehicle.

Do you know approx build date of your vehicle?
    My radio has 1 line of display and 3 buttons each side. It has a single disc player.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    TSB 04-02-32-003, does indeed reduce rattles and clunks that the steering gear can generate within the steering rack.

It also makes the steering feel lifeless and numb, and may cause it to "pulse" in the center position.

I'll have it checked again at the 30K checkup and see if it can be backed off a little. No fun having lifeless steering.
    Thx for info. If I come up with any suggestions I will post back
  • sean74sean74 Member Posts: 18
    My car is 2005 Malibu LS. I just bought it in this August. I encountered two weird things this week. First one is that the turn signal didn't work for about one minute when I was driving. There was no turning arrow on the panel during that time. Later it was back to normal. Second one happened today. When I want to start the car
    at a parking lot(moderate slope, car head down hill) I failed. The engine sound like there is no gas(I have such experience on my old car). The engine started when I tried the second time. However the sound is still abnormal. I don't know what's wrong. Does anybody have similar experience? Thanks in advance for your advice.
    My turn signals also stopped working for a while and I have also had a weird starting experience plus other strange happenings. The random nature of these problems suggests that a defective computer or glitchy software is the source of these events.
    It would be of interest (to isolate) when this occurred if possible to determine if was only the indicators on the instrument cluster that weren't flashing or the actual turn signals on front/rear of vehicle as well.

I think we have mentioned this before but if just one external lamp was not flashing you will likely see the remaining lamp and instrument cluster indicator flashing at a double rate indicating a bulb outtage condition.
    Everything was dead. No indicators on instrument cluster or actual turn signals were working. I pulled the car off the road to check while the engine was idling. It was as if the fuse to the whole circuit was blown. After a restart everything worked ok again. It has only happened once so far but it was very disconcerting because of the traffic and many lane changes I had to make. This problem could be a safety hazard.
    I had the similar situation. I pulled over and checked the turning light.
    Actually no light flashing and no turning arrow on the panel for both light and right turn. I pulled over because it was too horrible and I was really scared to death.
    However, it was back to normal again when I started to drive.
    This is so wierd.
    Hope it doesn't ever occur again but if it does and you have an opportunity, try pushing the hazard switch and see if the turn signals and instrument cluster indicators come on in hazard mode.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I believe the software in these cars were not tested thoroughly and contain many bugs. From the rough idle, no start, update for the PCM a while back to some that there seems to be no fixes for. The non-functional temp gauge that many (including myself) have experienced, but then comes back to normal the next day. Also, the other day I was getting ready to leave, I walked out of my house and noticed the radio in my car was ON, the keys were in my hand and it had been about an hour and a half since I had last driven it, but it went off as soon as I opened the driver door and to my knowledge it hasn't occurred again. Still a good car, they should have just spent a little more time on the programming.
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    Guess I'll give it a try. Sounds like one of those adjustments that has a "sweet spot" that is hard to hit.

Just came back from another business trip. This time got a rental Cobalt. Same rattling and clunking in the steering, and it has the electric steering like the Maxx. I wonder if GM has a bad supplier for steering components these days.

BTW other than that the Cobalt seemed like a nice little car.

DavisMaxx
    2004 Maxx LS Gold
    5/04 build
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    We had the temp gauge fail temporarily too. My wife noticed the needle at the bottom and assumed it was the gas gauge! When she filled the tank and the needle was still at the bottom then she realized it was the temp gauge.

I got under the hood and found a harness connector at what appeared to be possibly a temp sending unit on the manifold. I checked to see if the connection was good and actually it was not fully attached. I clicked the connector together and it has been fine ever since.

If the radio was on when you last drove the car, it should have turned off when you opened the door. If it didn't it could be something as simple as a sticking or shorted door switch.

DavisMaxx
    04 Maxx LS Gold
    5/04 build
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    mr_bots is not the only one to have this problem with the radio. It happened once, I was in a store for about 1/2hr and when I came out both the radio was on and the backlight for the odometer (but nothing displayed on it). Hasn't happened in almost a year. I don't think it would be a door switch, since the interior lights would also have remained on.

I also have problems with the idle, remote start (for about 2 weeks it refused to start every morning and it now works fine), radio (seems to like the Jazz EQ preset and won't stay on custom between starts, randomly doesn't let me adjust the Auto Vol settings) and seat heater that comes on by itself. I haven't had any trouble with the temp gauge though.

Lately the steering also seems to be difficult to operate for the first turn or two after sitting for a while. I don't think its the pavement, since I can turn it several times in place and it becomes normal.

2004 Maxx LT
    2/04 build (but came with the new column from the factory)
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    I had the same thing happen in my 04 Maxx came out at lunch one day and the radio was playing all by itself, had the heated seat issue, plus several others. So far the only problem with our 05 Maxx is a rattle in the roof we are still trying to get rid of. Thought we had it once but it is back again.

2005 Maxx LT
    1/05 build
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    How does the car know the door is open? I don't see the standard spring loaded switch in the door jam.
    It is built into the door latch. It is actually a "door ajar" switch so the switch is closed when the door is in the "secondary latch" position.
  • anderson725anderson725 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. My Malibu has been acting weird for a while now.

Today AM: I parked the car & turned off. When I re-started it, the clock radio said ERROR? The radio didnt work at all.

Today Lunch: Car started right up, radio worked fine? While I was sitting in traffic, idiling, my car turned off (no warning, no lights came on, it just went dead) It started after two tries? I took it to a gas station & put some premium gas in it (just thought it might help)

What could be the problem?
    We'll need some more information. How many miles is on it? What services were done recently? Do you have any other symptoms?

Stalling can be caused a number of things. Based on the info you have given, things like:

Spark plugs
    Fuel Filter
    Air filter
    Fuel Injectors
    Fuel Pressure Regulator

Could all be causing the problem.
  • anderson725anderson725 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

Car has 119,000+ miles. It was my husbands company car for 3 years (he had regular maintainance done) then we bought it for a great price!

Service done recently: Coolant flush (July 2005) - we put wrong antifreeze in it & had to flush the whole system to avoid corrosion.............Oil Change (July 2005)..........Breaks & rotors (July 2005)...........

Back in July our auto mechanic told me one of the belts would need changed before winter / cant remember which one?
    Do you have any other symptoms? Does it have trouble accelerating or idling? Is this the first time you have had trouble starting it? If its the first time and you have absolutely no other symptoms, then the next time it stalls:

1. Turn the key to off
    2. Turn the key to run (one position before start) and let sit for several seconds.
    3. Repeat 1 and 2 two or three times.
    4. Attempt to start the car.

If it starts flawlessly then you may have a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    If the car has over 80K miles on it, a new fuel filter would not be wasting money, in my opinion. I have always used only name brand gas from reputable stations. At 120 K I changed my own. I let the old one dry in the sun and tried blowing through it and it was difficult. The new one was easy enough to blow through I could breathe through it.; the old one had collected what it's supposed to collect.

But I doubt the fuel filter is the problem or the sole problem here. But I would change it or have it changed when other things are done. It's time.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Drive home without incident, clock is right, switch off car and lock. Next morning at 6:45am, start car and notice clock is now showing 12:00am ! Nobody else has driven the car but me. I am able to reset time and the radio has not lost its presets this time around. Last time this happened the clock lost 10 minutes and I could not set the radio presets until the following day.

So, what's cooking here? Has this got anything to do with the endless random weird events that are taking place in my 2004 Malibu?

What do you think e2helper?
    I have no news to report at this time but mention this radio losing/reseting of time to dealer next time.
    The engine temperature of my 2005 Malibu LS often increases and pass the half gauge when the car idles, for example when I stop at intersection and wait for green light. I want to know if this is normal. Thanks.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    mine will edge slightly above the halfway mark in stop and go traffic...but once I start moving again...it settles back at the halfway mark....think its completely normal, 04 Maxx LT here...with 49K
  • tiredtired Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if it is the fuse or not but these three lights are constantly popping on. While driving my theft system will pop on. Two months after an oil change the check oil light will come on. Also lately when I start my car and I drive a few minutes the coolant light will come on. I get regular oil changes and all of my fluids are leveled at capacity. So what can the problem be?
  • gschneegschnee Member Posts: 4
    I have an 04 Malibu LS with 13,750 miles that had a rapid flashing indicater. I took it to my local dealer and they determined the harness inside the headlamp was causing the problem. They put on new headlamp,part# 15287023 ,no charge.So far so good.
  • fjohnson1fjohnson1 Member Posts: 1
    The radio in my Malibu has bothered me from day one. It has never lost its presets, but does not always retain the stations or track of a CD (a much bigger annoyance) between starts. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

The dealer put in a new radio, but the same thing is happening, so it's probably not the radio. The service tech said it could be the programming or power source to that portion of the radio's controls. Previously, someone said the keys and/or keyfob need to be set for the car, but I don't understand that because we don't have the "personalization" option.

The car goes into the shop again next week. If anyone has any ideas, let's hear 'em.
    Modern cars integrate their entertainment systems with their driver information centers. So there are all sorts of connections between the radio and other electrical/electronic subsystems. Today, it's almost impossible to upgrade your entertainment system with another brand. I have heard of instances where the owner who wanted to upgrade their entertainment system, extended the wiring of the present system into the trunk of the car in order to keep the car running. Then, the new system was hooked up independently of the original system.

My point is this - simply changing the radio may or may not solve the problem in your case.

I believe the erratic behavior of my radio points to a far deeper problem than the radio itself. I believe the problem is in the Body Control Module which in my humble opinion is unstable for one reason or another. Whether it is glitchy software or low voltage or voltage spikes I don't know. But something is causing these cars to suffer from erratic symptoms that clear up the next time around.

Hopefully, the fix will be as simple as hooking up a capacitor or diode somewhere to catch voltage spikes or whatever is causing the problem.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Is GM looking into the hard starting when hot on the 3.5, my wife has it happen twice last week. Might go a month or 2, but it will show up again, takes 3 tries to start it. Are they working on the problem or do they have bigger fish to fry, the dealer has check it twice and found nothing. :(
    There are a few documents in dealer's service information which it sounds like he didn't locate - they mainly deal with making sure grounds are tight so it really doesn't sound that promising since they likely checked that type of stuff anyways. I don't know if you have latest calibration in your PCM - do you know build date of your vehicle?

But there hasn't been an update for some time.
  • tcb70tcb70 Member Posts: 1
    In March of this year, I traded my 2001 Chevy Malibu, 6 cylinder car for the 2005 Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder. Both deals were done at Dean Myers Chev Olds.

The 2001 had a 50 litre gas tank and I drove it approx 450 km with mix highway and city driving.

This 2005 with a 60 litre tank is empty at approx 325-375km.
    When I bought it, the sticker on the window claimed:
    City: 9.8ltrs/100km
    Highway: 6.6ltrs/100 km

As well, the following website states I should be getting approx :

City: 24 miles per gallon
    Highway: 34 miles per gallon

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Glance.aspx?year=2005&make=Chevrolet&model=Malibu&t- rimid=-1&src=vip

I'm not getting anywhere near that.
    When I brought the car back in the first week, I was told that the car has to be worked in and it should improve after the first oil change. It has not improved.

I brought the car in last week and was told that their test showed nothing wrong with the car.

I asked them to check the brakes as well to see if they may be sticking since they were already squealing after only 8000km. The brakes are still squealing at stops.

The service technician said the stats in their promo ads were based on perfect temperatures and conditions and that the 4 cylinder works harder to carry the car and that is why I am burning so much fuel. The service guy actually said he wishes his car got that mileage.

My 6 cylinder Malibu, or even my Chevy Blazer and Ford explorer got better mileage than I'm getting with this 4 cylinder with 60 litre gas tank.

I'm waiting for a response from GM on the issue.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Build date 3-16-04.
    My 2004 Malibu with the 4cyl. Ecotec engine gets 37mpg on the highway. The exhaust tip has not got a trace of carbon. It's as clean as the day I got my car. There is adequate power with the 4cyl. engine and the car is not underpowered. It might change down sooner than the 6cyl. while climbing hills but the mpg is still pretty good. Remember too that the all aluminum Ecotec engine is much lighter than the 6cyl. so the power to weight ratio is better.

I think you might have a problem with yours.
    Then vehicle definitely had older calibration originally in it (changed in May 2004 for production). Do you know if your dealer ever "reflashed" the PCM with latest calibration?

Here is what GM Calibration Website says about latest version: "New calibration with diagnostic enhancements for DTC P0340. Also improvements for starting, idle quality, and shift stabilization affecting 3-4 upshift."
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    My '04 Maxx (built during 01/04) will be difficult to start if I start it up when cold, drive it a short distance (1-3 miles), park/turn engine off, leave car for 15-20 minutes, and then try to restart. The vehicle starting then takes at least two tries and then runs very roughly for a short time.
    It supposedly is up to date wrt PCM cals, etc.

Also, for first time, just after starting and when the auto headlights came on while car was parked, all the gauges went to the minumum values (fuel, temp, etc) for about 2 seconds and then came alive again.
    Is there a fuse or connection I can check for possible corrosion or looseness?
    Another thought comes to mind. Is your overdrive and lockup kicking in? Check the tachometer and see if the rpm's are exactly 2000 at 60mph. That would confirm that the transmission is in overdrive.
    I had the same problem on my 04 Maxx LT...had it replaced 6 months ago and seems to be fine now....49 K on mine and going strong
  • oldster1oldster1 Member Posts: 9
    My '05 Maxx makes a lot of popping and crinkling noise from the manifold thru the converter and tailpipe assembly when it is shut off and cooling down. This I can understand and accept. However mine makes the same noises when there is any change in sheet metal temp due to different operating conditions; such as when idling at a light, pulling a hill, coasting down a hill etc. Needless to say it is extremely annoying. Has anyone else had the problem and what was the fix?
    Dealer ofcourse says this is normal---BS.
    tcb70 - How are you calculating your milage? Try this: run the car to "empty" and fill up. If there is a problem with the fuel sending unit, it may be going to empty sooner than you are actually out of gas. Now, with the full tank, drive until it is "empty" and fill up again. Then use that number of litres to calculate your economy, not the gas tank capacity. You should never use the capacity of the tank, since the car will still have about 1-2 gallons of gas when you hit empty. By always filling the tank to full, you can use the number of litres on the pump as an indication of how many litres you used.
    when you say sheet metal ..what exactly are you referring too or are you still referring to the exhaust system...honestly never heard of this issue before...
    tcb70 - Some other things to consider: How quickly do you take off from lights? Do you do much stop and go driving? If you do, you definitely won't get nearly the EPA estimated economy.
    I recommend that you check the coolant level. Park the car on a level surface and let the engine cool down. Check the level and if it is at or below full, add a 50/50 mixture of DexCool and water to bring it about 2 inches above full. My car is a little over a year old with 16.3K miles on it and it was slightly below full. Bringing the level to what I said (and where it was from the factory) has been keeping it cooler and idle better.