Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    You are right on track with diagnosis. If you are cranking and it doesn't look like theft related then you look at fuel and spark next.

Before you check for fuel pressure why not check if the fuel pump relay is energizing when you turn the ignition on. It typically will run pump for about 2 seconds to prime it when you turn on ignition. You might have to wait about 30 seconds with ignition off to do another "prime". I am not sure of the time. The fuse and relay for fuel pump is located in underhood fuse/relay center. If the fuel pump relay is energizing then the question is if the pump is getting that power and then if pump is actually running (you already said you think that is not the case) and finally if you are getting any fuel pressure.

I know that the current Malibu V6 engine has a Schrader valve on the fuel line underhood with a cap on it that you could test to check if it has pressure. Of course, take precautions if you do this because it is normally under pressure and it is a flammable liquid.
  • ypsistubypsistub Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help that is exactly what we needed. I had forgotten to mention that we swapped the relay for the AC with the fuel pump relay to see if that was the problem, but still did not hear the pump run when turning the ignition to on. We tried to find somewhere to test fuel pressure but coudn't find a port with easy access. Now we know to keep looking. Thanks again for the great tip.

It has been scary to see all of the issues with the Malibu posted on the internet, there certainly seem to be numerous systems with design or parts failures.

Thanks again for the great tip.
    Keep looking at fuel rail on engine you will see a black plastic cap at one end - that is it.
  • mjr15197mjr15197 Member Posts: 13
    My wife's 04 Malibu (built 02/04) was recently repaired by the dealer for "TSB 05-02-32-001A MAR 05 Steering - Increased Steering Effort on Start-Up". However, after the dealer having the car for 3 days just to look at it and order the parts and then another 1 1/2 days to complete the work, the problem still exists. It may even be a little worse.

Does anyone else have experience with this problem or have any ideas what else it may be?

Thanks.

-Matt
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Purchased a 2005 Maxx LS in October, 2004. No problems - none. Buy it; you'll like it.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    wrt steering problem on startup, I've not seen it on mine. Then again I usually wait 30 seconds before driving off after morning startup to let engine oil galleries fill up and lube the engine properly.

I had commented on Audi A3 forum that the Maxx could be a viable alternative if trim was a little nicer and AWD was available. Oy, did the Audi folks go wild. Keep in mind the A3 will run $5-20K more than any Maxx, and is essentially a VW GOLF with nicer trim.
  • alant3alant3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi if you own a malibu then you own a mystery i have been having a problem for about a year and i hope someone has come across this problem i have a 2.4 4 cyl,it started when the computer shut down #2 and 3 cylenders the shop thought it was the coil housing and boots and then the coils,then they thought it was the module,when that faild they checked the ecm (computer) and found that it was not telling the module to fire those pluges so they replaiced it. It ran great for about 6 mounths then it dit it again failing to send signal to the module to fire #2 and 3 cyl again i dont know what to do?????????
    ....is that Chevy only guarantees fixes to them for 12000 miles. Drive beyond that and you are out of luck. So says Chevrolet Customer support.

So if you feel your new Malibu Maxx shimmy from applying brakes, get it into the shop before 12K !!
  • 79377937 Member Posts: 390
    You say you have the 2.4L 4cyl Malibu. I assume therefore that it has the double overhead cam (Quad) engine. Have the mechanic check the CKP (crankshaft position sensor). It sits just above the oil filter. Check the wiring for bad connections.

With a digital vom set to DC volts, put the + meter probe onto terminal A of the sensor. Put the - probe onto terminal B of the sensor. Have someone crank the engine. The meter should indicate a 5 volt reference pulse. If not, the CKP is most probably defective.
  • kimleahkimleah Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a 2002 Malibu LS with 57000 miles. The dealer tells me that I need a new transmission at 2700. Anyone else having this problem? I thought that in this day and age that transmissions were built to last much longer than this. The problem is that there is a howling sound when I let off the gas, kindof like an airplane landing. There is also a clunking sound coming from the right front end that nobody has been able to figure out. Also, about a month ago I was on the highway and thought I had a blowout because of a loud popping sound and the car drove like I had a blowout but yet when I went to change the tire there was no flat. That is when the howling started. The sound came from the right front end but the dealer says it's the transmission and nothing wrong with the wheels, bearings, rotors or anything else. I'm very confused and upset as I am a single mom and still paying for this car. I cannot afford a massive repair bill. Any advise that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Oh, the dealer also says that I am the only one that has ever had these problems with the Malibu.

Thanks,
    Kim
  • annodominoannodomino Member Posts: 5
    it is a malibu ls with 114,000 miles on it, it's rides kinda bumpy but i was told by other malibu owners that its fine, the rpm are at a right place traveling 55, I live in NYC and i use 89 type fuel. Besides an air filter is there anything else that could cause this problem, like a cylinder not working or a plug problem?
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    I think it is just another Maxx thing. Mine does it all the time and my husband (the mechanic) says not to worry. So I don't.
    I think it is the best car ever. It is the most versatile car I have ever owned and has the greatest features in a small car. Mine is loaded and I would not trade it for anything. I had to have the first one bought back because of all the first year problems and I had them all in one car. But turned right around and bought another one. I get a lot of comments from people who think it is a really nice looking car. Your wife will love this car. My husband doesn't get to drive ours very much. We have a great dealer and no we have no major concerns except what we will do if they discontinue this car and I need to replace it years from now. There is nothing out there that compares for the price. I say go for it. You will be very happy I am sure.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    Do you know if it is possible for the dealer to turn up the amount of steering assist at Hwy. speeds? I know the system is all computer controlled was just wondering. 05 Maxx LT Thanks
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    First, switch to 87 octane. You are wasting your money using 89 octane. Second, your plugs are long overdue for replacement. Third, since you are in NYC, you have a lot of stop and go traffic. That could be most of the problem. Here's an article someone posted on the Oldsmobile forum regarding bad gas mileage.

http://www.artsautomotive.com/Mileage.htm

Also do you have any "check engine lights" on ?
    From a dealer standpoint, no, they don't have any ability to modify the "feel" of the system unless a new calibration were released for vehicle - none ever has been that I am aware of. As you might expect the system does have a lot of flexibility in calibration during development phase, however. The same basic system is used on Malibu and G6 but different calibrations are used for those as well as with 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engine due to vehicle weight and handling requirements
    According to my owners manual there is a "service engine soon" (I forget the exact name) indicator that is supposed to be in the lower left corner of the instrument console.

I have never seen this light show up during startup. Is it supposed to light up during start?

If not, How can I find out if this light is working?
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Are you sure you want to turn UP the assist? Wouldn't this decrease the road "feel" at highway speeds and make the steering feel less tight?
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    Hi gang,
    I am planning my semi-annual dealer visit for oil change and there are couple annoying problems I want to address. One is - there is a ticking noise then engine is cold and it goes away with warm up. Sounds like lifters on my old Mazda (btw I know that there is no lifters in this engine). Any idea?
    I can bet my money that there will be "problem cannot be replicated" response...
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I would honestly get a second opinion...from someone other than a dealer..for the transmission....try one of the speciality shops.....Im not so sure from your description that is it is the transmission....but have it checked again..or by a different dealer......have you checked the trans fluid levels?...I assume the 02 isnt a sealed system like the 04 is...the 04s had a transmission howl..but it was noticed from start to low acceleration....the clunk sound is also still an issue in the 04/05 maxxes to some degree...I can hear is slightly in mine...but with 57K on mine..an 04..its running fine......again...get that second opinion...
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    According to my owners manual there is a "service engine soon" (I forget the exact name) indicator that is supposed to be in the lower left corner of the instrument console.

According to your owners manual that light will turn on briefly when you turn the key to on.
    Thanks. It doesn't. Looks like (sigh) another trip to the dealer is in order!
  • xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    besides the fact that its a malibu, go with the '05 cleaner look and and some more of the bugs have been worked out.
    It is the "Service Vehicle Soon" ;)

Owner's manual for initial 2004 model was incorrect. It was corrected for 2nd printing of 2004 manual

If you want to force on the indicator to light up one thing you could do (if you want to try this) is pop open hood and take a look for the coolant recovery bottle attached to front of dash. Look for wiring connector to this bottle and disconnect it from the bottle. Now turn on ignition and wait for about 10 seconds. The LOW COOLANT message will show up in Driver Info Center, chime sounds and the "Service Vehicle Soon" should illuminate. Just plug back in and the lamp will go off in a few seconds.
  • indychick73indychick73 Member Posts: 25
    I bought a used '05 Maxx with 11, 000 miles in December. When I test drove the car I noticed pulsating in the brakes. The dealer said it was because the car had been sitting for a while and fixed the problem for me. Now the brakes are screeching a bit. I mostly notice it first thing in the a.m. or after the car has sat for a long time. I'm wondering if this is something I need to worry about and have checked out or if it's normal.
    Thanks!
  • willscarywillscary Member Posts: 21
    Yup, it's "normal. I asked my dealer mechanic about it just yesterday. His reply was a "GM went cheap" look and said that a lot of GM vehicles form rust on the rotors overnight (or in my case, over the weekend). The type of steel used in the rotors that come with the car must be prone to quickly forming rust. Once the brakes have been applied a few times, the rust is gone.

I have this problem after driving in rain or snow, then leaving the car sit for the weekend, or once in a while overnight.
  • pwd666pwd666 Member Posts: 5
    I'm having a problem with my E-brake indicator. It keeps randomly beeping. It usually occurs when you hit a bump or when it decides to go on. I have checked the brake fluid and it's topped off. I'm trying to get at the release switch to replace it but after looking from underneath I was unable to see it. Does anyone know how to get at it? Do I have to remove the entire dash to get at it? Also where is the turn light flasher module located? I checked both fuse boxes and they don't seem to be there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is for a 1999 3.1 l
    First, thanks E2 for note on the "service vehicle soon".. will try your suggestion soon.

Wrt Brake rotors:

Has anyone else found that (thanks to bad wheel torquing, etc) their disk brake rotors become warped and cause braking pulsing, __if__ the wheels are then remounted and retorqued __properly__, after a time (say 500 miles or so) the shuddering will diminish or possibly go away?

I've noticed that on my '04 Maxx. A real pity most dealers haven't a clue on how to properly torque wheels (had to go to a good tire shop for that).
    OK, I'm having problems getting my radio to do what I want. Every time I get in my car, it starts playing back the CD that is in there. I hit the band button and it goes to FM2. So I cycle through to FM1, listen for a little while and then shut off the car. I hit the lock button on my fob. I can turn the car back on and it comes back up to FM1. However, if I leave it for a number of hours or overnight, its back to CD->FM2. What is going on? Is it possible to COMPLETELY reset the radio (erase ALL stored settings for both fobs?)
    22k miles and I need new brakes. Every time I come to a stop they screech. I've washed the car to no avail, so it isn't dust. I think 22k is pretty bad for brakes, but I do like the stopping quality and quietness of the OEM pads. Is there a way to get that, but have the pads last longer?
    Once the metal is bent it will not go away unless they put it on a grinder and resurface the rotor. If you are convinced that bad wheel torquing is the cause of the rotors warping (I highly doubt it is), then have the dealership replace them for free.
  • marlapmarlap Member Posts: 18
    I have an 05 maxx with 15000 miles and have had it only about a week. So far I love the car!! The question I have is in the morning when I go out to start the car and turn the defrost on to deice the windows, when i return about 10 minutes later there is a strong smell of burning oil in the car. I have the air set on recirculation but was wondering if anyone else smells this or should i take it back to dealership? The smell disappears once I get moving. Also does anyone have any recommendations on what type of roof rack to put on? Really just for looks or the occasional luggage. thanks for any input!!
  • n0rsemann0rseman Member Posts: 8
    I highly doubt that you need new brakes at 22k. What most likely is the problem is the brake pad glide grooves need to be lubed. Easy job use Permatex Brake Lube. With that few miles 99% of the time all you need is some Permatex.
  • xkiddx13xkiddx13 Member Posts: 122
    i belive if you get a certified pre-owned vehicle your better off then buying a brand new one, that way you dont lose so much money driving the car off the lot, but regular used cars from some shady used car lot, ya i would never go there.
    Chevy guarantees the rotors for 12K miles and that's that. After that you are on your own, as I am at 32K miles.

No doubt if the rotor metal is __really__ bent, it can't be unbent by retorquing.
    But for milder cases, I'm not so sure - if a bend is caused by one or two bolts being too tight, then possibly the bend can be removed by overtightening of bolts on the __opposite__ side of the wheel. All depends what part of the rotor/flange assembly is being bent.
    Sorry it took so long to reply - had to wait for whatever upgrade occurred yesterday.

Turn signal flasher is part of hazard switch assembly. There was a campaign (recall) on the turn signal/flasher which applied to some 1999 Malibu - so you might want to check into that - #04098A

The park brake switch is part of the park brake lever assembly. You don't need to remove the dash even if you were trying to replace the whole assembly. I don't remember how hard it is to see. I know you might have to move the carpet slightly out of the way.
    The personalization feature for key fobs for radio was disabled in 2005 model year because of owner complaints that it was confusing.

I have seen some cases however where just being confusing didn't explain what was being seen. I am not sure if this is the case with your vehicle however. First of all do you use both key fobs with vehicle or only one? Other thing I wanted to mention is that the system remembers the key fob used to UNLOCK the vehicle - LOCK button on fob doesn't mean anything to personalization feature. You can't erase setting but you could program them to be the same (for at least the radio presets). That wouldn't help with remembering last CD track or Band though.

I will check into this a little further
    Success at last at least I think so anyway. The dealer had my Maxx for three days and had three techs working on it. They took the headliner out completely, removed all the foam insulation they put in before and found that the drain plugs in the sunroof were loose and causing some of the rattles. They put more insulation and re secured everything and the car is so much quieter. Like the difference between a room with curtains on the window and one without. No more rattles, the dome light is nice and tight and the sunroof cover opens all the way too. :shades: Makes me very happy :)
    If you are defrosting a window, you shouldn't have the air set for recirculation. Try using the fresh air setting and see if you still smell oil.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I believe on the new Malibu's, when you set the HVAC mode to defrost or deice, it automatically cancels recirculate mode and force outside air only.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I have an 04 Maxx. The brakes were fine until the first time the dealer rotated the tires at 6,000 mi. After about 3k miles the pulsing started when stopping from high speed. They turned the front rotors at 9,500 miles, no charge, and all was well.

The tires were rotated again at 11,800 miles. Again about 3,000 mi later the pulsing problem returned. They turned all 4 rotors at 18,000 mi. Again no charge and all was well.

There is a 12 Page Service bulletin for all GM vehicles that explains in detail the Brake Warranty Service and Procedures that should be followed. It specifically says that improper torqing of lug nuts can cause lateral run out and pulsing problems. The bulletin number is 00-05-22-002E, last updated March 2005. There may be a later version F, which adds the 2006 model cars and light duty trucks.

I went out and purchased a torque wrench. Whenever I have my tires rotated, or wheels removed by anyone, as soon as I get home, I retorque the lug nuts to 100 ftlb. I have not had any pulsing problems since, now have 25,000 mi.

Contrary to what dealers may tell you, the service bulletin says that rotors are covered under the 3/36 warranty. The rotors must be refinished (turned), not replaced. However, if they do this multiple times and the rotors go below the minimum thickness, they must replace them under warranty. Unfortunately, they will use the same crappy rotors.
  • crosby1crosby1 Member Posts: 23
    I apologize if I appear to be rubber-necking here, but the idea of getting access to information comparable what has been described as a "build sheet" is worth the risk of appearing nosy. Please reply if this can be shared. If not I understand.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Sounds exactly what I have experienced, thanks! I will discuss bulletin with dealer and see if they will actually do anything about it.

Per Consumers U, Malibus have had a ___long___ history of brake problems. I suspect this rotor issue may be the primary culprit.
  • pwd666pwd666 Member Posts: 5
    Do I need to take apart the steering wheel colum to get at it?

Also is it just one screw that hold in the release switch for the park brake in?

Eric
  • dmdenneydmdenney Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 malibu ls with 7500 miles on it. I have had XM radio problems from the 1st month i owned it. they have installed 4 radio's and 1 body control module. Now the cd player will not work. they tell me it is a software problem. my local service has worked on it for 4 days straight and no luck. He tells me it is between GM and Delphi to fix the software problem. I Might have a software glich with my computer that writes the check for my payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What type of problem do you have with XM and when does it occur? Right at start-up or when you are driving?

Would you be willing to post back last 6 of your VIN so can get an idea of history?
    No don't need to take apart steering wheel/column.

I don't have enough info about how the switch is attached to assembly. Service info doesn't have specifics about the replacement of the park brake switch and it has been too long since I have seen one personally to remember it.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Why would the dealer tell an owner the rotors are not covered under the 3/36, if the factory pays them to do the work???
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question - I have a similat type tumping noise that comes from the front left side when I apply the brakes from highway sppeds. This only happens at highway speeds, and not in town. It also does not do it everytime. I would think if the rotors were warped, it would do it all the time at highway speed and not just some times. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the steering problem that my dealer is waiting for the part from Chevy (due 1st qtr 06)? Any ideas? THANKS!
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    I have no frigging idea....

But very worrysome that service departments often don't read the info GM sends them. Might explain who so many of them ___don't___ know what they are doing?