Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jdfrmkyjdfrmky Member Posts: 15
    Wife's Maxx '05 15 k miles is making a howling noise from the driver side rear brake upon application.Howling as in an electric motor turning on its bearings.Not grinding or squeaking but howling.Going to the dealer monday and need some info before going there.
    thanks
  • bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    I had the same thing happen. It drove me nuts. Dealer just said "we can't fix every rattle in a car, it would take too much time." Well, after another 3 months, one day I discovered the noise. I noticed that when I reached over to grab the shoulder belt on the passenger side (while I'm driving...I was upset), that my hand touched the headrest, and the noise stopped. I let go and the noise came back. So, I switched the front headrests and now NO NOISE. Maybe this will help.
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    I once had a Toyota Corolla that had a rubber bung missing on top of the rear wheel well. Whenever it rained the inside of the trunk would get wet. Took me some time to locate the hole that was allowing water to be splashed up from the wheels. Could be your problem too.

I have also located the cause of an annoying rattle problem from the right rear wheel area of my 04 Malibu. Open the trunk and have a look at the gray handles on the right hand side of you that are pulled to allow the rear split seats to fold down. Note how loose they are. Well, by putting a rubber band around them I've stopped all rattles. The mechanism can only be described as very poorly designed and mounted. I can't figure out a proper fix for it yet. But for now the rubber band works well and allows the release to work.
  • malibunewbie1malibunewbie1 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a Certified '05 Malibu a couple of weeks ago and already have it in shop because the locks go up and down while driving (forward and reverse). This seems to happen when there is damp conditions (wet snow, rain) I haven't seen any posts on this. Anyone experience this?? My husband thinks I'm nuts. :confuse:
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Yeah, the headrests sit in some loosely mounted plastic fittings. mine also buzzed like mad and I finally had to glue the inserts to their metal holders to shut them up.

Seems like in many of their brands, GM just doesn't care about long term interior integrity. Very sad :(
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    It might have something to do with the driver door external key cylinder switch which can command a door lock or unlock.

I am just not sure about why you are mentioning "up and down" and the "forward and reverse" comments. That might point in a different direction.

Can you provide a few more details on what you were experiencing?
    The first time it happened I was backing into the garage and the doors were locking and unlocking by themselves continously. Two days later I was driving home and the door locks starting going up and down rapidly. I meant that it happened in both "drive" and "reverse". It was almost like someone was hitting the "unlock" on the key fob rapidly but I am the only one in the car.
  • 04bu04bu Member Posts: 16
    I know what you mean. In my case it's been a couple of times where I had no directionals, and another with the parking brake light going on and off for a few miles. Little electrical gremlins are hell to correct.

Speaking of Gremlins, that's what I learned to drive in. Not an impressive car, but you know what? It always worked and didn't do anything goofy.
    I have a feeling the shop will just tell me that they couldn't replicate the problem and it will just turn into something I will have to live with and will never happen when my husband is in the car to verify.
    I know what you mean about the "oldies but goodies" I liked it when the car just let you drive it with no huge surprises.
    Thx,

Do you believe the doors were actually UNLOCKing and LOCKing or just repeatedly UNLOCKing?

If this were just UNLOCKing or LOCKing then it would most likely indicate a chafed wire getting grounded out which is requesting the body computer to do this.

Dealers have TSB #04-08-45-009 which really only was applied to 2004 Models but it would be a good place for them to start.

If you are sure it was UNLOCKing and LOCKing then I will have to put on my thinking cap :)
    Thank you. I guess I couldn't say for sure if it is unlocking and locking. But the locks physically are popping up and down rapidly and sometimes they stop going up and down and the clicking noise continues in the door. The chafed wire would make sense because it only seems to happen when wet outside.
  • germany06germany06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Malibu. i am trying to locate the fuel relay switch so i can reset it, would you help please? thank you
    OK - Well if it happens again take a look at whether they are really locking or just going into unlock because I know there is a slight overtravel which would make them look like they are bouncing up and down a little. If this were a different model ;) I would suggest looking at the driver door latch as well but not on an '05 Malibu
    It doesn't have a fuel relay switch to reset (I think Ford used to have something like that).

The fuel relay is located in the underhood electrical center on the 2003, it is controlled by the PCM.
    E2, is this chafted wire visible? In the engine bay? Inside the doors?
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Ah ha! I just noticed this too! :surprise: I'll have to try switching the head restraints; stay tuned. Thanks, guys.
    Problem 3: Sticks in 3rd in cruise will remain unfixed as they couldn't replicate the problem this is gonna be a tough one to fix, no one will do anything about it unless they can replicate it and there's no TSB out for it...even though I figure the fix is just the newest version of software for the PCM.

I finally got my bizarre cruise control problems solved by having the BCM replaced. No problems since.
  • gator06gator06 Member Posts: 3
    I just got a `05 Malibu with 8,000 miles and I want to tint the windows and was wondering if the tint affected the radio reception. :confuse:
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    dont you have an external antenna?....my 04 Maxx does
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    04 Sedan has antenna on back window. Looks almost like defroster grid. I suspect that tinting would not affect radio reception because I assume tint is non conductive.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    The sedans have an antenna in the back window. Good quality tint is made of metal and would interfere with reception.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I don't know if I've ever listened to AM in it, but I listen to FM every now and then and I haven't noticed any reception problems with my windows tinted.
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    Thank you. I guess I couldn't say for sure if it is unlocking and locking. But the locks physically are popping up and down rapidly and sometimes they stop going up and down and the clicking noise continues in the door. The chafed wire would make sense because it only seems to happen when wet outside.

You might try running the car through a car wash to see if that makes it wet enough to cause the problem. If so then you can tell the dealer to wash the car but not dry it and drive it around.
    Car wasn't done Saturday like they said. Drove 3 hours and got there and they said it wasn't done. So I messed around town for a couple hours and headed back home. Finished it today, will try to sneak up Wednesday to get it. They replaced the belt that was squeaking, replaced the steering column, and after taking them the print out from calid.gm.com point out the "shift stabilization affecting 3-4 upshift". they updated the PCM. Will post on whether or not everything is actually fixed after I get it back.
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    The first time it happened I was backing into the garage and the doors were locking and unlocking by themselves continously. Two days later I was driving home and the door locks starting going up and down rapidly. I meant that it happened in both "drive" and "reverse". It was almost like someone was hitting the "unlock" on the key fob rapidly but I am the only one in the car.

Are you sure your husband isn't following behind with a key fob? ;)
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    Just curious, could you give me the part # they replaced - and what state you are in? My dealer and Chevy say they won't replace my steering rack until the "new" one comes out in the 2nd quarter. THANKS for your help!

Larry :-)
    I live in New Mexico but took it to a dealer in Texas. Will post the part number after I get the car on Wednesday.
  • kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    I have 3M tint (the expensive stuff) on my 04 Malibu and I haven't had a problem with FM reception (don't listen to AM, so I can't comment on that).
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    THANK YOU! I my noise/clunk is getting worse, and so I am trying to keep up on the issue with the dealer and GM. It is almost 2nd quarter :-) I was originally told 1st quarter, so I am worried that they are just trying to push things back. Thanks again for your help!

Larry :-)
    I had my steering rack replaced about two months ago, and am concerned it's going to go bad again. Is there any way to verify what version of the rack has been installed?

Also, is there any more info on the "popping doorlock" issue? Can anyone advise me where these corroded wires are located/
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    The steering column and rack are two completely different parts, serviced separately.
    "corroded"?

Nope - chafed. And the most typical location was in trunk on driver side (wiring going to rear electrical center).
  • josephusjosephus Member Posts: 32
    Not a huge deal; but I left my car at the dealership this am and picked it up on the way to work this afternoon. On my way to work I noticed that for some reason they switched my readings to miles from kilometres (I'm in Canada). I don't have my manual handy, I'm at work. How do I switch back to kms? I wanna know what speed I'm driving.
  • zjswzjsw Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 Malibu maxx purchased from a private owner a year ago. I got the Chev recall notice last Nov,indicating 3 items needed to be replaced. The first one is the Power steering assis. Orignal schedule to the dealership was cancelled due to the heavy snow. Then I got the second recall notice. There were only 2 items now with the steering one gone.
    I went to the dealership last week.But they checked the VIN on the web and said the steering job was marked as "done" and refused to do it again unless I had it cleared.
    I told them that my car hasn't have any repair job since I bought it. The previous owner also told me that the Steering had a recall,which he didn't had a chance to do .

Today, on my way home, the power steering suddenly went down.

I need to find out why the Chevy marked something unfinished as "done".

Is my problem an isolated one?

BYW,the car is still under warrantee.

Thanks
    Have you gone to Chevrolet website? The number for Customer Assistance Center is available there. If you have owner manual it would be in there as well.
    many thanks, e2!

Is this just a sedan issue? Or both sedan and Maxx issue?

I'll look around the rear electrical center and see if there is anything obvious.

Incidently, if any of your associates can advise how to tell which version of the steering rack is on a Malibu (original or revised) that would be helpful.

_____ Incidently,
    Have noticed the shifting of the autotrans has improved over time. It seems "smarter" regarding switching off its overdrive lock when going up hills.
  • zjswzjsw Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot,e2helper,

I found the number from the chevy website and gave them a call. It turns out that power steering recall expired Jan 31 2006,which explains why my car marked as "done" even though I never had it replaced.

Anyway, I am going to have it repaired under the warranty tomorrow.

Thanks again for help.
  • lljxhmaxxlljxhmaxx Member Posts: 3
    Got my MAXX LS last july. This problem happened a couple of months later. Basically, when I start my car at stop sign or red light, the steering wheel will turn to left a little bit by itself and then turn back slightly. Since it does not turn back fully, the car pulls left. I should grab it firmly to prevent it turning. But I can feel it tries to turn left. It happens about 70-80% times. Stopped by dealer twice. They always claimed problem solved perfectly. However, it is not. Is there anybody here has the same problem? Thanks.
    1. steering columm electric self centering is not zeroed out properly. Dealer needs to know what it's doing to fix this one.

2. if wheel "pulses" in your hands then the columm may be going bad. This was a problem with some '04 maxxes.

also, the Maxx does have some torque steer (throttle it hard and it will try to pull in one direction (I think it's to the left...).
    Looks like I'll have to take the car back to the 3 hour away dealership. Had someone drive it back for me that was going over there for the day. Well, after getting it home, I took it for the test drive. They did update the PCM and now shifts right out of 3rd into overdrive while using cruise. Also, replaced the steering column, no rattles or clunks...but they didn't program it. Turns extremely easy to the left, and much harder to the right. So I'll have to make yet another trip over there to get this straightened out. For future reference I think I'll just live with whatever my car is doing, it's getting where it's more of a pain to get things fixed than to just live with the problems. The power steering in these has been around for over 2 years now, you'd think they'd know how to fix them by now. By the way, the dealership I'm taking it to is All American Chevrolet in Odessa Texas.
    Another update on my situation...called them and they're refusing to program it, claiming that it must be the motor since it isn't holding on to the program. Couldn't get them to understand it's a new column that hasn't been programed so it doesn't have one to lose...I should have just lived with the rattly clunky old one. If only dealerships hired people that actually knew how to work on cars! I've been a loyal GM fan since I was born, every car in my drive-way and my parents drive-way has always been a GM. But I can honestly say, I might avoid them in the future as my parents have addmitted they might do so too, their 03 Yukon has gone through two steering columns and two fuel sending units and their 01 Silverado has gone through one steering column and three fuel sending units. I guess the 10.6 billion loss last year had to come from somewhere...
    This happened to me once after I had an oil change done at my dealer.

I don't have my manual in front of me, but as I recall, you press the Menu button on the left side of the radio/driver information center until you get something that says (I think) English/Metric Units...when you press Enter, you'll have the option of choosing.

It is listed in the owner's manual (sorry that I can't go look at it right away) under Driver Information Center.
    Thanks - dealer was able to replicate and found a loose and damaged wire. Living in Ohio it gets plenty wet out. It was starting drive me crazy. But I did about take my husbands head off the first time (he had to show me the key fob was in his car) :P
    Did the dealer say where the wire was located? I checked my Maxx's rear circut box and found a couple of wires that were in dubious positions but nothing that was frayed.
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Was driving home from Atlantic City with my 2004 Malibu Maxx when I noticed the Temperature Gauge was still on the "C". This was after driving 10 minutes.Normally is positioned at least 1/3 up. Was wondering if using the remote start may have caused the problem or it is something else? Has anyone else had this problem. Tried shutting off and restarting and the same thing. Guess it will have to go in to the dealership. Wondering if it may be a fuse? Any advice will be appreciated.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I have an 04 Maxx, built 2/25/04, with 27,500 mi. I have not had any problems with the steering column. My car was built after they fixed a known problem. A few weeks ago however, the power steering started acting up. All of a sudden when accelerating from a stop in a parking lot, the wheel started turning to the left all by itself and the car made a U-turn to the left. A lot more effort was then needed to turn the wheel right and no effort to turn it left. This started to happen several times each day. I also noticed a rubbing sound all the time when turning the wheel from stop to stop (windows rolled up and radio off). I never noticed this before. I took it into dealer this past Tue and they replaced the steering column and calibrated the torque and position sensors. The steering assist is now working properly again, but I still hear that rubbing sound.

I never saw the "Steering" Warning Message on the DIC display and the dealer did not say if any DTC codes were set. They just replaced the steering column. I believe there is a TSB out on this problem, 04-02-35-009, issued May 2004.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Hi islandpete. Yep, everyone has had this problem. The only people who have not, were likely not looking at their guage when it did happen. The problem usually happens only once or twice, then never again. I call it a 'Bu growth spurt. Also, your normal driving temp should be exactly at the halfway point, or even a tick higher; not at the 1/3 position. Don't sweat this one, unless it happens repeatedly.
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Thanks Maxx4me, actually just guessed at the approximate position of the gauge position. never really committed the position to memory,but will if it starts working. Will start it up in the morning and see if it operates normally. Naturally if it does not work by next week, in it goes. Thanks again for the heads up:-) :shades:
    Off topic but of interest, perhaps for amusement...I read an account by a dealer technician with a customer who brought in a vehicle (not a Malibu) with an occassional door lock complaint.

As the technician said he was underneath the dash checking out wiring trying to duplicate the complaint. He noticed that when we reached to move something that the doors did lock! I can imagine that satisfaction with being able to reproduce complaint because now he could likely isolate the cause.

However he realized that it was not due to him touching anything - it was from the movement of his body! He was laying on driver floor mat.

His story ends with him lifting the floor mat and finding a key fob sitting on the carpet underneath the floor mat. His post had a picture of a fob sitting on the carpet which did a much better job of telling the story than how I did it :D
    The item I was talking about was for the sedan on in the trunk area.