Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• mhelselmhelsel Member Posts: 11
    I have a malibu, open trunk handles are on the right side on mine ;)
  • welshyboywelshyboy Member Posts: 9
    The turn signals and the hazard lights do not work on my 2000 malibu (126k)The turn signals where working Intermittently for a week but now have stopped. Does anybody have any ideas. thanks
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    There is a campaign (recall) for turn signal problems for some 2000-1 Malibu vehicles for the hazard/turn warning flasher so this might apply to your vehicle. It came out over 2 years ago (#03043A). You can check on applicability of it with your vehicle if you registered your vehicle with www.mygmlink.com
  • aquina3aquina3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm writing for a friend of mine. He's not used to posting on these types of groups. So, I told him I'd do it for him.

He has a 2005 Malibu Sedan. He finds that the AM reception is rather poor. He says the FM reception is great. I asked him where his antenna was located. He said in the rear window. I thought that might be a problem, but I don't know about this for sure. Thought maybe he could add an antenna of sorts.

The dealer said they didn't think there was a problem and that he should get XM Satellite radio if he wasn't satisfied Any other options he should keep in mind? He doesn't want to spend $12 a month just to listen to AM radio. Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • gmowner1gmowner1 Member Posts: 2
    My mother has the same problem with her radio. Upside for her I guess is that the dealer has acknowledged a problem because they replaced the radio once. She is in the replace and try out mode right now. Not sure how far she'll get with it so I'm watching posts to see if others have this problem and what solutions are out there.
    There is a TSB out there for AM reception on sedan when using the rear window defogger #05-08-44-017, but that has been out ther for over a year so likely dealer knew about it and it doesn't apply to your situation.
  • cnotescnotes Member Posts: 6
    After all of those issues I posted concerning my car, the next day my abs light and brake light came on while I was driving and then the air and the windows began working! About two minutes later the lights cut off and my check engine light cut off as well. This morning nothing has changed; how do you explain this?
  • masteryodamasteryoda Member Posts: 41
    Well, my wife's 2000 Malibu AC system is out of whack again. :sick: About 3 years ago, AC system would shut itself off for no reason and the recirculate button would turn on and off all the time. At that time, it was fixed under warranty and up until last year it was ok. Then, it started doing all of the above, plus it now wouldn't work on settings 1,2 on the blower dial. I've changed the AC fuse several time, after which the system would work ok for a bit and then it goes back to its normal tricks. I know that other people have had this problem, so my question is how difficult is it to repair or how much would it cost to fix it at the dealers?

Thanks very much.
  • jrhess3jrhess3 Member Posts: 3
    I have this same problem on my 2006 Maxx, Terrible AM reception in places where my other vehicles get fine reception. Occasionally the reception is excellent. Any body else with this problem?
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I generally get poor recection whenever I am passing by a cell tower. It also affects the FM reception. I do not have the problem with my Pontiac.
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Member Posts: 64
    You can also reset the MPG...
  • landrarodglandrarodg Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I first wanted to say that I find it so refreshing that I am not the only one with tons of problems with my Malibu. So, now onto the beast itself. I have a '98 Malibu with 92K miles on it. We bought it from a family member on good faith that it was a reliable car and it has been anything but. Within the first month we had to fix the manifold ($1200) and replace the rear brake pads and some clips that hold the pads on were completely gone ($800). Then a couple months later the car started making odd and very loud squeaky noises when you go over any bumps or potholes...especially when we are driving at a slower speed. We have never gotten an answer to this problem except that the car is older and will make noises. What Crap! Also, the A/C never stays on the setting we set it on. It just automatically switches to pulling air from outside and the air is not filtered. We believe the A/C filter is missing??? Don't know if there ever was one. Then in about nine months we had a very serious coolant leak which turned out to be the water pump ($550) and now just three months later on the freeway we started getting a forward lunging sensation and the check engine light came on. We did not drive it for a week and when we did the forward lunging intensified and is the worst when the car is stationary or when decelerating. And then within two hours of starting the car initially the brakes got very soft. I was having to press them all the way to the floor to get the car to respond. I grew up up north and now live in FL and the only thing I can compare it to is that it felt like I was trying to brake on ice. And the check engine light has remained on. I'm sorry this post is soooo long but I just want to get some advice on this lunging problem and maybe what we should possibly expect it to cost to fix. Someone we know suggested it could possibly be a vacuum leak which means absolutely nothing to me. Any other ideas anyone????????????????????????????????????????????????????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    I can't help you but it seems as if a lot of the problems are due to bad maintenance. Missing parts on brakes, missing A/C filter. Coolant leaks on pump might have been caused by incorrect maintenance of the cooling system. Was the DexCool ever checked and kept at the correct level? Incorrect coolant can also cause manifold gasket leaks. Also, $800 for rear brake pads and clips is excessive.

You should have taken the car to a good mechanic for a check before you bought it.
  • mfh1mfh1 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone gotten any recent updates on the rack replacement fix for 2004's that's been in the works? I believe Kurtmaxxguy has a friendly dealer that gives him a heads up. My dealer does not have a clue. I subscribe to AllDataDYI, and nothing has popped up yet on TSB's. We are now in the "third quarter" of 2006, so I hope something is available soon.
  • dampierdampier Member Posts: 15
    I have been running into some problems with my 2005 Malibu. Apparently one of the front headlamp sockets went bad and this can do a real number of more than just the light involved - I lost the left turn signal and the DRL in the process.

I just got back from the dealership with the problem presumably fixed, but now things seem different to me. I seem to recall prior to this problem, the configuration of the DRL on the Malibu was both the orange parking lights -and- low intensity headlamps.

The car now just shows the orange parking lights - no headlamps at all when the DRL is active.

Since I am not positive of the configuration, I thought I'd better ask others what they have before I deal with the dealership again.

This is a U.S. version of the Malibu operating in the States by the way.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The intake manifold is a known issue with this engine. I'm shocked at the price you paid. Most repairs cost about $700. Replacing rear brakes pads is normal maintenance. I'm not sure what you are referring to as "missing clip". And at the tune of $800?????? That is an entire braking system! Bad water pump in a 8 year old vehicle??? I can see it but the manifold leak could have also cause the coolant leak. If the intake manifold was done after the water pump, you may have been givien bad advice.

The A/C switching on and off is a known issue with the Malibu. If you do a search on this forum, you will see many complaints and the solution. The solution has nothign to do with an filter. i would have a mechanic look at your front end to make sure everything is OK. You could have a bad wheel bearing or bad tie rods. Either way, I would get it checked out.

Brakes: Take a look at the brake fluid and check its level. Or have a mechanic look it over. Brakes are not something I want to wait to have someone look at.

YOu have a car that is at the point where repairs are necessary plus I don't think your mechanic is acting in your best interest. The car was probably reliable in that they did very little maintenance and ignored some obvious problems.
    2004/2005 Malibu Daytime Running Lamp function is done by Turn Signal Lamps so what you are describing is likely correct however you are calling it orange "parking lights" which is not correct terminology.

There is a 2 filament bulb in front lamp which does the turn signal/DRL and parking lamp functions.

The Major (bright) filament does the turn signal/DRL and the Minor (dim) filament does the park lamps.

So from your description I can't tell if dealer might have miswired your lamps or not. Turn on parking lights manually. Now activate the turn signals for each side and look at lamp intensity. Are the turn signals orange lamps brighter than parking lamps?
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    The dealer is correct. In the 04-05 Malibus the orange parking lights are the only lights that light up when the DRL are active. The only time the headlamps are on is if they're turned on, either by you or the light sensor.
  • tcontastcontas Member Posts: 10
    Check message #4459 on the "Chevy Malibu Maxx" message board. It contains the TSB # and a description of it. Also check recent postings from today, in which a member posted a message stating that he had the fix done and that his car is greatly improved now.
  • ltmaxxltmaxx Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Maxx LT, the fuel gauge will only go up to 3/4 tank. The dealer changed the fuel tank sensor and still doesn't work. Any ideas on what it could be?
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    The problem is that the fuel tank is out of tolerance in terms of dimensions. This was a common problem with the 04s as well; there is a service bulletin out on this issue.

The solution is to replace the fuel tank. The dealer did that with mine and it solved the problem perfectly.
  • ltmaxxltmaxx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. I will be calling the dealer today.
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Member Posts: 64
    Most of your complaints are over normal wear issues. I suggest a qualified mechanic perform a complate brake job and that your fuel system be checked out for lunging issue. The AC is probably functioning according to design, as many people don't realise that all combination of AC and vent setting are not possible. Read your manual. Unfortunately a lot of 3.1 and 3.4 V6's have manifold and head gasket issues... so start saving more money for more repairs.
  • lc1500mblc1500mb Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 Malibu..and didn't see any info in the owners manuel about how much I could tow with this car? I have 2 trailers ..the heaviest one weighs about 1800-lbs. loaded...I have a class 1 hitch rated to 2000lbs..That will work for that trailer..but what is the limit on the car? Any info will help...Thanks
    Try looking at page 4-35 of your owner manual
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    I bet it is 1000 lbs.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    E2, I purchased a 2006 Malibu Maxx LTZ on 7/28/06. VIN 219126. It is very similar to my 2004 Maxx LS which was totalled on 7/17/06. I noticed the DIC on the 2006 is not displaying message "push park pedal" when the parking brake is on. Only the brake warning light is on. Page 2-33 of owners manual say if you try to drive with parking brake on, a chime sounds and the DIC message displays. On my 2004 Maxx, I never heard a chime, but the DIC message always displayed whenever the parking brake was on. How is this supposed to work on the 2006? Is manual right/wrong?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    well, the manual is right according to how my 2004 Maxx behaves. I get both the chime and the message on the DIC.
    There was a change in way DIC message operates. I think now the vehicle has to be traveling a few MPH before the DIC message and chime sounds. Nice catch :)
    Well, my 03 Maxx LS is back at the dealer. I took the service manager for a ride (no pun intended) for the second time in as many months, and he heard the rack rattles while driving over a gravel road, between 5-10 miles per hour. I recommend others use this type of surface to accentuate the noise. It still baffles me why the noise is not apparent at speed. You would think if the rack is clanking into the pinion, then it would only get louder as you increase speed; but alas...
    No guarantee what the next step will be, since he stated that he still needs to take his technician out for another test.

e2helper: I also had an interesting conversation about Dexcool with one of the service writers. He stated that at his BG training class, he was told that ONLY distilled water should be mixed with Dexcool, and that regular water is detrimental (possibly due to the chlorine). Have you heard this before? He actually recommended that I bring the jugs of water myself since even the dealer does not use distilled. Also, he recommended getting the Dexcool drained every 2+ years, rather than the 7? year interval in our manuals. Can you shed any light on this topic?
  • mfh1mfh1 Member Posts: 15
    At my dealership, took service manager, service advisor and mechanic out for a ride to hear same problem. On really rough roads, it can be hard to hear this problem as it's masked by road noise. Gravel would probably produce the bang/clunk. Service manager agreed to do the June TSB fix, not because he acknowledged that there is a problem but in effect to stop my whining. He also implied that if this does not work, don't come back to look for more work (to quote Bugs Bunny, "he don't know me, do he"). Service advisor inadvertently admitted whole front end is a problem during the ride, saying "you should hear the G6!

maxx4m3, fight for this, wave copies of these threads in their face and make threatening remarks to call GM customer service if you have to.
    he, he, he....well, I think they are getting the idea that I'll be back for more joy rides with the service manager should they "not replicate my problem." In fairness, I believe there are 3 TSBs on the Malibu's front end including the sway bars. I don't want them swapping out parts any more than they do. I only want the "broken strut" sound to go away. It is a bit embarrassing to drive friends around and having them say "what's that noise???"
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    E2, tried to drive today with parking brake on to test the chime and DIC message. Both worked after car moved about 2mph either forward or backwards. It is very obvious the parking brake is on just before the chime sounds and message displays. If anyone at GM cares for some feedback on this, I think the chime/message needs to display sooner, before you force car to move with parking brake on. A better trigger for the chime/message would have been either taking shifter out of park, or RPM above idle with shifter in drive, reverse, low. Wonder why they changed this? Must have been complaints about DIC message displaying all the time and hiding other messages.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    J-

how many miles on the maxx so far.....still working to get the front end noise to go away......I have one ...but I beleive its from my front tires uneven wear...seems to be going away over time..after the front end alignment.....but with 73K on mine...Im sure a dealer will not touch it regardless of the TSBs at this point...even to just check it.....so....onward we go with it..otherwise...not problem one with it......
    pao: I'm at 28,700. I just called the dealer and he won't even be able to look at the car until tomorrow. The Chevy folks have been extremely busy here over the past month.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    Has anyone had an oil leak from around the oil pan. 10k after the intake manifold oil leak was fixed i have a sweating/leak from the rear of the oil pan .

It just seems that this engine was built on a monday or friday, production days statisticly know for having a greater amount of problems. The workers are either tired or hungover from the weekend (monday), friday workers are usually attention prone because they are thinking about their weekend plans. So quailty of production isn't the same as a wednesday built engine/car.

Have to wait and see what the dealer thinks of the leak. The fixed intake manifold isn't leaking at all. Huh :surprise:
  • panthersfan95panthersfan95 Member Posts: 5
    We all know how frustrating intermitant problems can be. I have an '05 Malibu LS V6 that just had it's third visit to the dealer in 18 months, for the same problem. Every 10 or so starts, the engine turns over for an unusually long amount of time (about 5-10 sec.), before finally starting up. Sometimes it turns over and stops without ever starting. Of course, every time I take it in to the dealer it acts fine. I don't hear any grinding or metal to metal that would indicate a mechanical problem, but the fact that it shouldn't be doing this has me worried. Any thoughts?
    I believe that there's a TSB on this .
    I have the exact same car/LS V-6 2005 and i too have this problem. It usually happens after the first time I start the car, today it happened to me twice in a row ,it started on the second long start.
    I believe that this problem is called a hot start. In the alldata.com site there is a(TSB) re calibration of the computer for the 3.5 and 3.9 liter engines concerning this hot/long starting problem. I have yet to get my problem fix even after GM have tried twice to find this problem.
    I just looked up the TSB it's 05-06-04-076a. It applies to the impala and G6 cars with the 3.9 and 3.5 liter engines. The same engine that's in our Malibu. GM re calibrates the computer to fix this long starting problem. I'm going to tell my GM dealer about this TSB on my next visit.
    If you read text closely you will see this TSB only applies to the 3.9L for the G6. The 3.5L covered by TSB is not the one used in G6 in 2005/6 model years.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    I have noticed that the starting problem started with the 1 line fuel system, must be a connection.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I showed the TSB for front end rattle clunk to my "improved" dealer, who has been loosing the good service writers they picked up a few months ago. Totally botched; no notification of work done, service order written up wrong, they lubed the columm instead of fixing the rack per bulletin.

Car has now had 5 attempts to fix front end problems...am seriously considering declaring it a lemon.
    I notice the rattle when I enter, or especially when I exit a concrete driveway apron, or drive 5-10 mph on a gravel road. I sometimes get the noise when hitting a manhole cover at speed. When is your's most noticable kurt?
    So if this isn't the correct TSB for the Malibu 3.5 do you have the TSB for it?

I couldn't find any other TSB from alldata.com that would cover my Malibu , about hard/long starting. Would appreciate the proper TSB .Thanks :D Russ
    I took about a 150 mile trip yesterday. Going down the highway 70-80mph and it had a vibration type noise coming from under the dash on the passenger side towards the base of the windshield. My guess is that it's the seal around the base of the windshield allowing air in, which when driving at highway speeds is causing some wires, rubber, or something else that could be in that area to vibrate. Every time I think I'm getting things ironed out something else pops up and it has to last me at least 4 more years. :mad:
    There isn't one for that engine yet :(
  • butch100butch100 Member Posts: 28
    I had the EXACT same problem with my '05 LT
    turns out it was the plastic cowling under
    the windsheild wipers was slightly warped so
    it sat 1/4" or so above the windsheild and
    vibrate against the WS at speed. I just took
    some clear silicone and put a few dots under
    the cowling to stop it from vibrating, works
    fine now. You can test for this by stuffing a
    few peices of foam under the cowling and see
    if it stops the noise, Good luck, hope this
    helps, Barry
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    That's an area to check and I had a windshield wiper itself that vibrated when it was parked at the bottom of its travel just the right way. It sounded like it was the dash plastic inside the car rattling. I had my wife checking and pushing and pulling while traveling to try to find it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bunnymasseusebunnymasseuse Member Posts: 9
    It's funny, but sad that it took me so long to find this forum.

I wrote a review on the Maxx recently...
    (points to link with a short of my story)
    http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/chevrolet_malibumaxx_2006/4509/model_user_reviews- .html;_ylt=Aju5CWH.oPnOG6HHWMfgmYjPf78F?sort=mh&modelid=4509&start=21&show=atf&r- eviewid=10&reviewnum=26&trimid=17593

I've had this problem and my car is only 3 months old. Excerpts from that link are:

"The car has been to the dealership 7 times, 4 just for the issues with intermittent starting issues (not associated w/ remote start even tho it does happen with that AND manual starting) that are not related to a bad starter, it's somewhere between the starter, the computer and the cyl or plug that should be identified by the computer to fire/start. The dealership I've been taking it to has no clue. So far they have replaced hood release, block assembly wiring harness, coil for air bags, roof molding, and control switch on steering wheel. Not all associated w/ my starting issue, but other things they have found. This car is just over 3 months old, and about 4000 miles. I'm livid with all these issues. Under VA law I'll be able to file for lemon law issues if they don't resolve it while it's in the shop right now for it's 4th visit."

4th visit ended last week, and the same day I got the car back, parked it in a parking lot down the street, turned it off then on again, wa-la! Happened over and over. I'm steamed at this point. I feel like the service manager is either stringing me out or really isn't getting help from Chevy at all. HELP! As per VA law, I could techincally file a case saying this car is a :lemon: but I'd really rather keep the car, even after all I've been through.
    Thanks for the reply. I tried sticking some felt feet up under the cowl between it and the windshield. I took it out on the truck bypass around town, got it up to 95 and no vibration. Still a little early to tell, but my problem seems fixed.