Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    Kurt..what state are you in..dont you have an 04 or 05...careful of the mileage and ownwership times for lemon laws..they vary by state...
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    You might tell your dealer what you found. It might help them with another person's car doing the same thing.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• butch100butch100 Member Posts: 28
    I found it by useing my wife's stehescope and
    listening for it while someone else drove the
    car. I coulden't pinpoint the noise at all
    useing the scope so i knew it had to be comeing
    from outside the car at that point. Otherwise
    I love the car, everyone who rides in it is
    amazed how quiet and smooth it is..Just hope it
    holds up in the long run..
  • commdrivercommdriver Member Posts: 2
    I Have a 02 Malibu V6 I only have 42,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on yesterday. What do you think it is before I have to spend the money for a diagnostic.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    Did you put gas in the car recently? Check the gas cap. Check the rubber seal on it and where it meets the gas pipe to be sure they're clean and sealing properly. Put on a little petroleum jelly to freshen up the rubber. Tighten the cap. And drive the car normal trips. See if the light goes off when the pressure/vacuum check on the fuel system runs.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• commdrivercommdriver Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Ill try that. I have 1 more question maybe you can help me. The same 02 Malibu V6 seems to run hot some times the gage will be almost in the red. It does not do it all the time, and the only way to get it to come back down is to turn on the heater. I checked and it is full of anti-freeze. I am wondering if the thermostat is sticking. What do you think?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Well, I guess my gravel road test won them over. My gear (part #: 15858368) is on order. I also got a fuel induction maintenance performed. I'll post back in a few days to see if it was a waste of money, or if my acceleration performance improves.
  • hhmaxhhmax Member Posts: 44
    a piece of plastic sheet got under car while travelling, it got onto the exhaust pipe and melted. Any easy way to get rid of it? Probably not a safety hazard but the burning plastic smell stinks.
    my vote..a waste....as long as you use quality name brand gas you shouldnt have a need for any fuel injection cleaning.....how much do they want to for it
    It was $142 after tax. They used the BG fluid. I definitely sensed a faster push off the line today with the AC on. I'll keep monitoring it.

e2helper: my dealer says that I should use only distilled water with the dexcool. Is this correct? My fluid level is a touch low in the jug, and I wanted to top it off. Or should I buy a jug of dexcool and top it off with that?
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    My check engine light came on last year and it was caused by the engine running too cool. The thermostst was replaced. It is possible that the high temp reading caused the check engine light.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I'd recommend using some antifreeze that's already mixed (available at auto part stores) so that the balance will stay 50/50.
    they have dexcool that is already mixed at an auto parts store??
    I'm pretty sure I saw some at Checker last time I was there and I just checked Autozone's website and they have some Prestone "Orange coloration" 50/50 premix that is listed for Malibu V6s. I don't think I'd worry about the "orange coloration" I think GM just trademarked Dex-Cool, and Prestone makes the coolant GM uses from the factory.
  • tcontastcontas Member Posts: 10
    I've had a problem with a loose gas cap on my '05 Maxx. With any car I've ever owned, you had to push down on the gas cap while tightening it. I found that if I did this with my Maxx, the cap wouldn't tighten and could be pulled right off. Now, when I tighten the cap, I don't put any pressure on it at all; I simply put it on and turn it until it clicks a few times and it stays put. Not sure if it should be this way, but the dealer didn't seem to want to mess with it. Not too big a pain except when I go to a full service gas station and have to tell them not to push down on the cap while tightening.
  • tcontastcontas Member Posts: 10
    I also have this part on order. The service dept. at my local dealer gave me no static at all about it. They read the TSB and ordered it right away. I'll post results here. I'm hoping this will do the trick, as all the other attempted "fixes" mentioned here haven't worked. The TSB describes perfectly what my car does over bumps or gravel roads at slow speeds, so hopefully the new steering gear will solve it. One question for anyone who's had it done or knows what it entails: will they have to do a front-end alignment as well? My car drives perfectly straight and the steering wheel is also perfectly straight and I'm nervous about getting such a new car aligned, as I've had mixed luck in the past (especially with the steering wheel being off-center, which drives me NUTS)!
  • simonesimone Member Posts: 18
    Just had the gear installed on my 04 malibu lt (65,700miles) on Tues of this Week. After 150 plus miles it is truly a great driving pleasure to not have the clunking,thud,popping noises every time I back-up or turn right or left. My dealership also did a complete 4 wheel alignment.
    I know it is only two days, but after waiting 18 months for a solution I am quite happy..
    Simon :):)
  • mfh1mfh1 Member Posts: 15
    Contas: After having steering gear replaced, receipt said "toe in adjustment," the only easily adjustable front end spec on these cars. On modern front drive cars, the only way to change caster and camber is to ad shims and/or literally bend the frame (how stupid is that?). So if you hit a really big pot hole, the average alignment place can't fix the problem. The steering wheel on my car was centered before the work and remains so, but it seems to track more accurately now. I can't image messing with the rack without requiring an alignment, so it's probably mandatory. I think steering wheel position is more accurate than the days when the mechanic attempted to visually center the steering wheel by bracing it to the seat with a bar before making adjustments. There is probably some indication under the car to show when the steering wheel is centered before they start to change toe position (anyone know for sure?).
    did you have an extended warranty...or did you dealer simply do it based on the TSB...since you are well out of warranty..I have 74K on my car..and didnt think they would touch it based on the mileage....
    J-

guess I need some clarification on the clunk here....I notice a clunk when Im driving......doesnt have to be on a rough road at all....I have assumed it was due to my front tires....since they were a bit flaired on the edges..but have since noticed it remains the same with new tires....your description seems a bit different....I dont notice anythiing on a turn or slow over speed bumps at all..so mine sounds completely different from the rest here..

steering is fine...and still have my original OEM column...I have learned to ignore my clunk now.....had the suspension check last time it was aligned and the mechanic....not at a dealership stated he didnt see anything that looked like a problem..and the alignment only required a minor adjustment...uuuummmmmmm
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Why not file the Lemon Law? maybe GM can buy the car back or give you another esp. if you are happy otherwise with the Malibu. It's obvious you have problem that the dealership can't resolve. the vehicle is only 3 months old.
  • bunnymasseusebunnymasseuse Member Posts: 9
    Easy, I'll tell you why it's not just a clear case for me.

I put money down, I saved it, got $ from the last wrecked vehicle and then got this. Got a great deal, one of those once in a life time deals where you got everything you wanted, and cheaper than the dealer should have given it to you, where literally they probably lost money except that you actually bought something...

Let's say I file the lemon law. Have to pay a lawyer to do it, and 99% of these go to arbritration (settled in arb. as opposed to court). Of those in arb., most don't end up in a full buy back or giving me a brand new car. That's on average of course. So let's say the DID buy back the car. Would I get the full value when I first bought it? Of course not. I'd have to pay back the laywer of course (for appraently being able to use them to get any money from GM in the first place) and I know the milage would be pro-rated from the first mileage reporting on this issue (somewhere around 2000 or so). Think how much value it already lost. Think how much more I have to pay the lawyer for allowing me to even get to this point.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT I DO, I STILL END UP THE LOSER! I either lose by having a car that isn't right, or I lose by ending up with less money than I started with to buy a new one if the one I have got bought back.

How does this benefit me? There really is no -clear cut- answer, or solution to my problem; save it being fixed and ceasing to be an issue in the first place.

I'm happy with the car, just not the mechanical issues I'm having.
    Dealer took care of issue with no charge based on the tsb and also based on the fact that I had complained about this issue for the past 18 months and it was well doucumented on every visit i made to the dealer...I would suggest that you bring in a copy of the tsb to your dealer and ask them to order the part so as to correct this design flaw which gm finally admitted to back in dec of 05...
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Member Posts: 134
    What is the TSB's range of years for the repair??? is it 04 only ??
    04-06 model year

TSB 06-02-32-007
    anybody email a copy of the TSB?

poswald78@yahoo.com
    pao: my symptoms are noticeable when:

1. I drive around 10 mph on a gravel road, and then let off the gas and coast. You will hear the repeated rattling/jiggling. I can take you to the road I used to win my service manager over. It is down near the metro, not too far a drive from you.

2. I pull in or back out of a parking lot or driveway concrete apron at a slow speed, with the wheels turned as I'm pulling in/out.

3. At speed, over manhole covers. Ironically it sounds worse when the right tire hits the manhole cover.

I also get steady squeeking as I drive. I hope the squeeking is from the steering gear as well and not the steering column. I guess I'll be able to tell when I get the new gear.

Can others confirm my symptoms....and have you also heard the squeeking??
  • grubb1388grubb1388 Member Posts: 1
    2005 Malibu with same problem.... POOR AM RECEPTION Has anyone found a solution for this problem?
    Try doing a search in google for 06-02-32-007. You'll get a few results, one of them will be one for alldata.com. Click on that one and then hit Ctrl+F and type in "06-02-32-007" click the link and it'll bring up the whole TSB and you don't need an account there to see it. The TSB isn't too informative though.
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    View a copy of the TSB concerning the steering gear -
    TSB 06-02-32-007
    Hi Pao, I will e-mail the two documents that I have when I get home today, but in the meantime here are the doc #'s that my dealership had on file when ordering the part...

1st=doc id # 1716682 which describes the problem with shaft steer steering # pic3747 (oct 24th 2005) which states the problem has been noted and solution is being worked and should be available within the 1st qtr of 2006...of course solution was made availabe now in the 3rd qtr...

2nd=doc id gm part #15858368 Steering Gear Assembly

It took 2 weeks for the part to arrive once the dealership ordered,...took them better part of 4 hours to assemble /align/road test car before it was returned to me
    3 days in and 250 miles later drives like a new car..

Sorry for the rambling ,hope this helps...Simon
    thanks all
    Wow, it only took 4 days for them to get the part in. My service manager thinks that they are holding on to these parts at the central repository to keep dealers from hoarding the parts. I'll let you know how the fix goes (circa Mon/Tues)
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Member Posts: 64
    I guess the thermostat is a likely culprit...
    Dang, 4 days? I took mine in over 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on the new steering gear to come in .
    it is interesting that the TSB you all posted earlier states that the course of action with the rattle/clunk complaint is to start by installing chassis ears on the sway bars. I wonder why that course isn't being followed?
    Whenever the check engine light comes on, it means something in not functions as designed. Generally it leaves a code in the computer that can be read by a code scanner. Take your car to your local auto parts store (Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, Napa, Pep Boys, etc). They will read the code for free. Get the code number and post back on this forum. There will be people on here who can help with your next course of action.
    So you feel that since you got this great once in a lifetime deal, that it's Ok to have a serious issue with your car and you pay for it?

Personally, I could care less if you file Lemon Law or not. That is your issue. But the only excuses you have discussed against filing a case are financial. You are going to hold on to a 3 month old car that your dealer could not fix after 4 attempts and continue to pay on it? this is the car you saved your money for that has a poentially serious mechanical issue and you are afraid to pursue getting it fixed even though the law is clearly in your favor. Your case is why the Lemon Law was created. YOur new car has a defect that cannot be fixed by the manufacturer. It happens to ALL car manufacturers.

Not unless you are a lawyer which it doesn't sound like you are, stop second guessing yourself and call a Lemon Law lawyer and discuss it with him/her. He/She can answer the questions you have.

If you don't choice that route, that's fine too. It will be interesting to read your posts in a year or so when the next issue pops up.
  • jenna1204jenna1204 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Malibu with 90k. I have had the car for 2 years now and I am at my wits end. I am getting 9-13 miles to the gallon. I have had it to the dealer they said they couldn't find anything(they only put the scan tool on it but my check engine light is not on so it found nothing). then I took it to a muffler shop they back pressure tested the exhaust and found nothing. I have replaced the fuel filter and I have used fuel system cleaner. I am really frustrated with this car. The only other clue is that there is a tick from the valve cover but I was told that was normal to 3100 motors. can anyone give me some ideas? :(
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    your gas cap has gone bad. Just like mine did about a year ago - exactly the same problem.

When you get it replaced, be sure to be gentle with it. You don't need to push down very hard on it, or (when replacing it) turn it past the first click or two you get.
    >>>>2nd=doc id gm part #15858368 Steering Gear Assembly

It took 2 weeks for the part to arrive once the dealership ordered,...took them better part of 4 hours to assemble /align/road test car before it was returned to me<<<< :surprise:
    good to know, thank you :)

However,
    for 17" wheels, the part number is 15858369.
  • minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    Regarding the use of chassis ears for the rattle/clunk: In my case, the dealer replaced the sway bar links - twice - before replacing the gear.
  • jasjimjasjim Member Posts: 2
    99 malibu 6cyl - when I start the car, the Theft and Batt warning lights are on and stay on for about 2 - 5 minutes. (The battery is fine; the theft on the radio is disabled.) During this time, I cannot open the windows and the heater blower motor does not work. Then everything is fine. On some occations the ABS and Brake lights come on as well and the transmission indicator on the dash says I am in park when I am really in drive. Also, the temp guage will go to zero. Everything is functioning ok, it's just the lights that are on. Any suggestions?
  • josephusjosephus Member Posts: 32
    I have a question about this. I'm not sure if my problem is the one you've been talking about. I do get a knocking or rattle from the front driver's side when I drive slowly over the slightest bump in the road. If I had to describe it, I'd say it sounds like the brake pedal is knocking. Does this seem to be what you're all talking about. I have on 05 sedan with about 30,000kms
    josephus: here's my post from a few weeks ago. Here's when I hear the noise. It sounds like a loose strut:

1. I drive around 10 mph on a gravel road, and then let off the gas and coast. You will hear the repeated rattling/jiggling.

2. I pull in or back out of a parking lot or driveway concrete apron at a slow speed, with the wheels turned as I'm pulling in/out.

3. At speed, over manhole covers. Ironically it sounds worse when the right tire hits the manhole cover.

I also get steady squeeking as I drive. I hope the squeeking is from the steering gear as well and not the steering column. I guess I'll be able to tell when I get the new gear.

I think the noise is predominant in the center of the car, at the juncture of the steering column and the rack and pinion. If I had to pick a side, I think the noise occurs more often from the driver's wheel side; although as you will read from my post above, it is more predominant from the right side when going over man hole covers and such. My car will be in the shop for the third day. Ugh!! I just picked up my rental car. Thanks GMPP!! :D
    because my dealers are stupid, cannot find the problem, will not fix the problem because they cannot find the problem.

I want to get this fixed and if the cost is not ridiculous, maybe I will just go ahead and have a service center do it regardless of whether they hear it or not.

but what would this cost?
    You'd probably be looking at over $500. The steering gear is listed at about $300 + Labor + a front end alignment.
    kurt: I just got my Maxx back. I took the service manager out for a test drive. We went on the same gravel road that I got him to hear the rattling noise. Guess what? The moment we went on the gravel road, we both heard the noise again. However, I went up and down the entire gravel road, and did not hear it again. Diagnosis: the car sounds/feels better than before, BUT it did not arrest the whole noise. Per the TSB, my dealer clipped on the chasis ears to the strut mounts and sway bars. No noise was heard. That is why they installed the steering gear as the solution.
    I'll post more as the weeks go on. Backing out of my driveway with the wheels turned will provide the all the feedback I need. Stay tuned.
    As for the cost, sorry, it was zero for me. No price is provided on the invoice.
  • mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    Ijust got my car back from the dealer for the steering rack fix. Took about 3 days for the to get the part. I drove the car around the block when they dropped it off for me at work. Smooth - no noise. Will advise what they did, and what I think later ;-)
    They got the my steering gear in on Monday after 2 and half weeks. Took it in yesterday...still have it, just got off of the phone with them, and say it'll be tomorrow. Don't know why it would take 3 days to replace a steering gear and do an alignment.